PDA

View Full Version : Happy birthday to Alla Kournikova and happy Women's Day in Russia!

the cat
Mar 8th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Happy birthday wishes to Alla Kournikova for March 8, 2004! :kiss: And March 8th is also Women's Day in Russia. :) Happy Women's Day to all the Russian women and Soviette's out there! :D

I think Alla was very demanding of Anna when they travelled together. And I was interested to see what would happen to Anna's tennis career when her mother stopped travelling with her. I thought that was good for Anna and her tennis career. But I was wrong. The truth is Anna's game slipped without Alla around to motivate and comfort Anna. I hope that if Anna gives a serious comeback attempt to the WTA Tour that her mother Alla is there to help Anna just like before. As it turned out Alla might be the only one who can get through to her stubborn and talented daughter. Anna is difficult to coach and train. I think we all realize that. But maybe Alla is the person to get Anna back on the right track where her tennis career is concerned. :)

Happy birthday Alla! :bounce:

apoet29
Mar 8th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Personally, I feel that Alla pimped her daughter out and kept such a tight rein that it was inevitable that Anna would request her mother to stop traveling with her. I believe that Alla stopped travelling with Anna after 2002's Italian Open and from what I hear, Alla no longer manages Anna's career either. Personally, I think it is for the best. Anna is a grown woman, not some child and if she cannot make it on her own without her mother's assistance, then Alla has done a terrible job in raising her daughter. The point of having children is to love them and raise them and then let them go into the world on their own. Besides, how much can we blame Anna's tennis problems on mommie dearest? At some point, Anna has to take the blame for what has happened to her career.

Anyway, Happy Birthday to Alla Kournikova. I hope that she has a nice one.

the cat
Mar 8th, 2004, 08:15 PM
You make some interesting points, apoet. But the fact is Alla was with Anna when she did some impressive things on the tennis court early in her career. Alla was the driving force behind Anna's rise to the top ten. Even Nick Bollettieri admitted that Alla and Anna were inseperable. Wjhat has Anna done as a tennis player without her mother at the helm?

As for Anna having to go it alone without her mother on the tour, I don't buy it. Jennifer Capriati is 5 years older than Anna and she still travels with her parents so it can work. And Steffi Graf's parents travelled with Steffi for much of her all time great career.

the cat
Mar 8th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Happy Women's Day to Russian's/Soviette's Evanescence, Vaiva, Lady and Nina_Rus wherever you are! :) :D :kiss:

apoet29
Mar 8th, 2004, 09:08 PM
You make some interesting points, apoet. But the fact is Alla was with Anna when she did some impressive things on the tennis court early in her career. Alla was the driving force behind Anna's rise to the top ten. Even Nick Bollettieri admitted that Alla and Anna were inseperable. Wjhat has Anna done as a tennis player without her mother at the helm?

As for Anna having to go it alone without her mother on the tour, I don't buy it. Jennifer Capriati is 5 years older than Anna and she still travels with her parents so it can work. And Steffi Graf's parents travelled with Steffi for much of her all time great career.Alla needed to travel with Anna at that time because Anna was only 16. Of course, she needed to be there for her daughter. I don't buy that Alla was the driving force behind Anna's reaching the top. That had more to do with Anna's own talent, the competition on the tour at that time and the influence of Martina Hingis. I still say that Alla was more interested in pimping her daughter out for money than focusing on keeping her healthy. Why do you think Anna is so injury prone and has been for most of her career? Because Alla pushed her to hard in practice and probably arranged her tennis schedule and interfered with Anna's practices when she had coaches. Ask Pavel Slozil and Eric Van Harpen and even Nick how easy Alla was to deal with. Slozel said that Alla would come into practices and make her daughter run drills even after Anna was already exhausted. Why else would the Bolletari academy institute the Kournikova rule to keep parents from interfering with practices? It is because of Alla.

I understand that Jen has her parents travel with her and that works for Jen. That probably does not work for anyone else. Mary Pierce played some of her best tennis when crazy daddy wasn't around. Serena Williams game actually improved when Richard no longer traveled with her consistently and Oracene, who is the model of what a tennis parent should be, took over. Justine Henin-Hardenne actually stopped her father from traveling with her and now has three GS titles to her credit. Chanda Rubin has never had her family travel with her and other than injury problems, she has remained a top ten fixture for years. Lindsey Davenport's and Pete Sampras's parents never traveled with them and both players have 16 GS titles between them. Besides, if Anna doesn't want Alla around, then there isn't any point. Did you ever think that there might be a specific reason that Anna asked her mom to stop traveling with her? Especially after many years of relying on her mom's advice?

I know that you like Alla, Cat, but you need to stop acting as if she is some sort of saint who can save Anna's career. From what I can see, she has done more harm than good.

the cat
Mar 8th, 2004, 11:46 PM
apoet, nothing else has worked for Anna after Alla stopped travelling with her. I know she's not a saint and she pushed Anna to get lucrative endorsments as well as become a fine tennis player. But Anna is heading in the wrong direction as far as her tennis career goes. :( Perhaps Alla can help Anna in her comeback. Maybe both Alla and Anna have grown as people since Alla stopped travelling with her a couple of years ago. I just want Anna to try a serious WTA Tour comeback. But I don't see that happening without help from some other people. Such as a coach and advisor. This thread was not intended to analyse Alla Kournikova's performance in guiding her daughter tennis career. The purpose of this thread was to wish Alla a happy birthday and wish Russian women a happy Women's Day. :D But since you brought up legitimate aspects of Alla that may have hurt her daughter, I have brought up fact that Anna played the best tennis of her career with her mother at her side. :) I hope Anna comes back to the WTA Tour no matter who is coaching and advising her.

apoet29
Mar 9th, 2004, 12:01 AM
apoet, nothing else has worked for Anna after Alla stopped travelling with her. I know she's not a saint and she pushed Anna to get lucrative endorsments as well as become a fine tennis player. But Anna is heading in the wrong direction as far as her tennis career goes. :( Perhaps Alla can help Anna in her comeback. Maybe both Alla and Anna have grown as people since Alla stopped travelling with her a couple of years ago. I just want Anna to try a serious WTA Tour comeback. But I don't see that happening without help from some other people. Such as a coach and advisor. This thread was not intended to analyse Alla Kournikova's performance in guiding her daughter tennis career. The purpose of this thread was to wish Alla a happy birthday and wish Russian women a happy Women's Day. :D But since you brought up legitimate aspects of Alla that may have hurt her daughter, I have brought up fact that Anna played the best tennis of her career with her mother at her side. :) I hope Anna comes back to the WTA Tour no matter who is coaching and advising her.
My point was, Cat, that Anna's career has headed in the wrong direction because of her mother's influence. Alla wanted the money even more the the results. Anna didn't turn toward the celebrity side of fame overnight. Her mother definitely influenced her in that respect. I'm sure that there are other people who can help Anna in coming back to tennis. She does not necessarily need her mother for that. Anna did play great tennis with her mom at her side, but I have seen too many matches, when Anna was on the losing side, where Alla walked out on her daughter. You also forget that when Anna has gone into major slumps, her mom has been around for those too. I have also seen the promise of success without Alla around. In the summer of 2002, Anna made the quarterfinals and semifinals of two California tournaments without her mother. She also made the finals of Shanghai that fall. So Anna is not exactly helpless without her mother around.

My purpose was not to derail your thread or say that Alla doesn't deserve praise as a parent. I think she got caught up in the fame that Anna achieved and as a result, didn't handle things as well as she should have. But I cannot pretend that I feel that having her mother back as a coach/advisor would be a bad idea. The lesson it would teach Anna is that she is not an adult and is not capable of being on her own. That is something that she and other WTA stars who rely too much on their parents need to learn to function in the real world once their careers are over.

So Happy Birthday to Alla and here is hoping that she has had a nice one.

- L i n a -
Mar 9th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Let's hope you remember an actual important Russian birthday, coming soon.

ys
Mar 9th, 2004, 12:09 AM
Let's hope you remember an actual important Russian birthday, coming soon.
You mean April 22nd?

the cat
Mar 9th, 2004, 12:32 AM
You make sounds points, apoet. But my focus is on getting Anna to make a comeback. And she might be more inclined to try a comeback if she's travelling with people she is comfortable with. Such as her mother.

EV, is the important Russian birthday you're talking about Elena Bovina's birthday on March 10th? :)

apoet29
Mar 9th, 2004, 12:37 PM
You make sounds points, apoet. But my focus is on getting Anna to make a comeback. And she might be more inclined to try a comeback if she's travelling with people she is comfortable with. Such as her mother.

EV, is the important Russian birthday you're talking about Elena Bovina's birthday on March 10th? :)
I'll put it to you this way and then say no more. If Anna was so comfortable traveling with her mother, then why did she ask her mother not to travel with her anymore during the worst slump of her career? After the Italian Open in 2002, Anna asked her mother not to travel with her anymore. There had to be a specific reason for that. Perhaps Alla is not the kind of support that Anna needed.

In the end, it is up to Anna to want to return to tennis and do well. No matter of support that anyone gives her can make that difference. She has to believe in herself and go for it. For example, J-Cap does travel with her parents and has done so since Soloman left, but it was up to Jennifer to lose the weight, win the tough matches and fulfill the promise of her talent, not her parents. That is what I have been trying to get through to you.

the cat
Mar 9th, 2004, 01:57 PM
apoet, we don't know why Anna had Alla stop travelling with her. We can only guess why. I agree with you that it's up to Anna to make a comeback. But she should never give up. Vince Spadea finnaly won his first ATP title last week in Scottsdale, Arizona at the age of 29. :) Spadea has battled injuries and inconsistencies over the years. But he never gave up and his great desire finally brought him his first ATP title. I hope Anna someday has a wonderful moment like that in her tennis career. :D