PDA

View Full Version : Norweigan Tennis

Johno_uk
Mar 8th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Why does Norway have no players what so ever, except for one in the 800s i think? I can't think of any mens players either. Strange considering its neighbour Sweden has quite a rich tennis history?

Jeg_el_Skerjnh
Mar 8th, 2004, 10:50 PM
It is not strange that Norway doesn have any famous players, especially compared to Sweedens Johan Haglund, as Norway only joined the IWTF in 1997, and before that wt wasn't practised in Norway at all.

Edit:
More info (http://www.itfwheelchairtennis.com/asp/wheelchair/development/europe.asp)

Johno_uk
Mar 9th, 2004, 05:38 PM
With all due respect to you, i didn't mean wheel-chair tennis!

spiceboy
Mar 10th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Norwegian Amy Jonsson was a fine player from the late 80's

Her best results on the WTA Tour were a QF finish in Bastad 87' losing 6/4 7/6 against Sandra Cecchini and main draw victories in tournaments like Hamburg and Pattaya :)

But probably she'll be known as the first player Steffi Graf had to beat in order to get the Grand Slam as Steffi defeated Amy 6/3 6/1 in the first round of the Australian Open 1988 ;)

Nippon_UK
Mar 14th, 2004, 04:20 PM
According to the ETA, Norway seems to have 170 clubs and 750 courts, of which 150 are indoor. Sweden on the other hand has 670 clubs and 4500 courts, of which 1500 are indoor. It seems that Norway lacks some tennis facilities?

Sue Lyon
Sep 13th, 2004, 01:27 PM
All I know is Asa :o

Grachka
Nov 16th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Karoline Brekke-Borgersen made her *long awaited* return this year, doing well in several tournaments and regaining her ranking. She is a handy player, pushing Patricia Wartusch to 4-6 4-6 in the Stockholm qualifying. I expect if she can play more then she can rise up a bit.

Unfortunately Ina Sartz :o has lost her ranking, so Karo is the only one at the moment.

Bjorkman_Girl
Nov 18th, 2004, 07:56 AM
Norwegian Men: Jan Frode Andersen (ranked in high 100's -or more)
Stian Boretti...who is not too far from 1000! :lol:

spiceboy
Sep 1st, 2005, 02:37 PM
Karoline Brekke-Borgersen made her *long awaited* return this year, doing well in several tournaments and regaining her ranking. She is a handy player, pushing Patricia Wartusch to 4-6 4-6 in the Stockholm qualifying. I expect if she can play more then she can rise up a bit.

Karolina is right now in the top 500 WTA!

After a great season reaching semis in $10K Sunderland & Oslo and quarterfinals in $25K Felixstowe with greats wins over O'Donoghue, Minella and Buzarnescu