PDA

View Full Version : The Juniors

canuckfan
Mar 8th, 2004, 01:50 AM
Wow, it's been quiet here lately.
So here's a thread to talk about Stephanie, Aleksandra, Katarina, Ekaterina, Melanie, Valerie, Stephanie W., Tania, Sharon and all the other juniors.

At the Argentina Cup (grade 2), Ekaterina Shulaeva have beaten the 1st, 3rd and 10th seed to reach the final where she lost to the 6th seed Jozami. Zoricic lost in the 2nd round to a good british player. Shulaeva and Zoricic reach the quarters in double.

This week it's the Ascension Bowl(grade 1). Wozniak, Zoricic and Shualeva are all supposed to be in the main draw. And after that, it's the Banana Bowl, and good news: Sharon Fichman has commited!

~CANUCK~
Mar 8th, 2004, 02:12 AM
Well E-kat had a great run this week. Im so happy for her. And i so can't wait for the return of young sharon. Hope she kicks some ass.

~CANUCK~
Mar 12th, 2004, 04:30 AM
Alex is kicking ass this week. She is in the semis of a grade 1. Keep going :D

canuckfan
Mar 17th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Alezk is in the 3rd round at the Banana Bowl. She'll play Theodora Mircic. She shoudn't have much problems. And Sharon have beaten Magdalena Rybarikova (54th in the world) :worship: She will play Agnes Szavay (14th in the world) next. She might have a shot because Rybarikova defeated Szavay last week. Good luck to both! :yeah:

Randy H
Mar 18th, 2004, 02:29 PM
great effort for Sharon, and a very gutsy performance to win such a nailbiter! Hopefully she's not too tired and will go for it against Szavay :)

Aleksandra's got a pretty reasonable draw but in the juniors you never know who's going to come through on a given week so hopefully Aleksandra is up to the task and will be able to keep up her form for the rest of this tournament :D

blerr
Mar 18th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Aleksandra Wozniak def Teodora Mircic 6-4 6-3 :banana: :bounce: :woohoo:
Agnes Szavay def Sharon Fichman 6-1 2-6 6-2 :sad:

Strong tourney for Sharon none the less. Great job by Aleksandra, I hope she can keep it going! Wozniak now plays Szavay, the 3rd seed. Hope she can win!

_shorty_ (thx to CD for info:))

~CANUCK~
Mar 18th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Alekz :banana:
Sharon :sad: good week for you though, you are young and have a great career ahead of you :D

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 18th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Alekz is playing great great tennis so far this year.

Sharon is very impressive. At 13, to take a set agasint a top 15 is no easy task, esp in the third round of a Grade1!

I see Alekz killing Agnes, at least I hope so. She has a good draw to the final, with Marcio :eek: there in the bottom!

canuckfan
Mar 19th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Nice Job Alekz :worship: If she beats Szavay (wich should be somewhat difficult), she's definitly on her way to the final, probably against Kleybanova. But we shouldn't talk too soon because Alekz and Steph have the bad tendency to lose in the quarters...

Great run Sharon! She should be around 150th in the world next week, wich is very good after only 3 international tournaments. She might be the best 1990 born in the entire world right now :D. And I think she's still alive in doubles. Does anyone has doubles results?

~CANUCK~
Mar 19th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Yup she is in the semis of the doubles, and with the new ranking system thats huge. Sharon is awesome. She was the best 12 year old last year. Now i would say she is the best 13 year old. I so can't wait till she is 15-16 and #1 in the world in juniors.

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 19th, 2004, 04:57 PM
I think you should wait before saying that...We had some great junior talents who turned out todo just nothing (popescu being the best exemple!) and at 13, not all the young girls know all their talent and start to travel around the world....You know steph dubois only started juniors at 16, and she was the best junior last year for Canada and should ahve been in the top 10!

I really hope Sharon becomes one of the best, but it is very early to say that! You know Sesil is only 14 and already wins some indian wells matches!

canuckfan
Mar 19th, 2004, 06:28 PM
I think Sharon is a prodigy by canadan standards, maybe not by world standards. It's the first time that one of our players dominates her age group internationnaly. Marie-Eve, Melanie, Alekz and Beier weren't beating top 50 players and their first few tournaments. Yes Sesil and Alysa are winning WTA matches but I don't think Sharon has the training regiment that these girls have and she probably doesn't have to win at all cost to make sure her brothers and sisters are eating well (wich is the case for some eastern-europeans). And Sesil and Alysa are (with Krajicek and Vaidisova) truly exceptional players who dominate the juniors the same way Hingis, Kournikova and Dokic did.

If she continue like this, Sharon will for sure reach top 10 or maybe top 5. But I don't think it will happen until she's 15 or 16. She'll progress in a canadian way. And the key is really a constant progression because a lot of our players seems to peak too early. For example, Kat Zoricic was really good when she started, giving good fight to top players, but she has not improve as fast as the other players in the last year and now she struggles to stay in the top 100. On the other hand, Stephanis is the best example of a good progression.

It will be interesting to see if Tennis Canada will send to many tournaments this year and if she'll play the Slams. If she does, I see her in the top 50 by the end of the year.

And I think cdpoulin said that she seems to be a good doubles player. I fully agree. She's is doing great in single but she is doing awesome in doubles so far: semi final at the Eddy Herr (G1), winner at the prince cup (G4) and now semi final in her first Grade A. And she did all that without playing with top players. It's great to see a canadian girl having success in doubles because Steph and Alekz are rather inconsistent...

So keep up the good work Sharon! :yeah:

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 19th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Yeah her double skills really seem great! If she is like Hingis, as some people said, it could be good for doubles also! And with the recent cahnge in the rankings, double is finally important lol...

I never saw her play, i can't tell if she got it or not. I saw Steph and Alekz, clearly they have *it*. Steph really impressed me in her match vs Arvidsson, she has such great anticipation! Alekz has great power from every wing and is better mentally than Steph.

I never was impressed by Beier though. I think her game isn't good enough to become a big player in the future, her attitude isn't really that good... I think she got good strategy though. As for Shualeva, i was really disappointed, she ahd reallyn nothing special. Just a good player.

I_AM_Canadian
Mar 27th, 2004, 04:36 AM
if she is this good, hopefully she will get to top 10 by the end of the year,
of course not by the way Julia did:) anyways, it's good to be young, but you have to work hard too, too bad we cant train Sharon like the US does to Ashley H etc. or Australia does to Oliva;), and yet the Canadian girls are not starving enough for them to strive for matches, there's gotta be a way to motivate them and nurture them, good luck TC:)

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 27th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Tetreaul just wn her second title in a row!!! She best Percy in the finals 6-1 6-3 :bounce:

So that makes 5 titles for canada in the past month, plus one final, one semi few quarters and so far a semi for Alekz :D:D:D Great job girlz!

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 27th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Alekz just won her semi agaisnt Szavay 6-4 6-4 :bounce: :dance: :banana:

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 27th, 2004, 09:20 PM
She iwll face Kotkina who beat Marina easily 6-3 6-1...Tough challenge but great week anyway!

~CANUCK~
Mar 27th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Alekz is so good. Im so happy she got her revenge. Now keep going and beat kotkina in the final now

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 28th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Alekz lost 6-3 6-3 :sad:

But hey it was a great match and Kotkina is in a class of ehr own right now!

Alekz lost both in singles and in doubles to the winning team so that'S pretty good!

~SunFlower~
Mar 31st, 2004, 06:06 AM
I am hoping the Sharon Fichman would get a main draw WC for 25K Vancouver event next year in 2005. She will be 14 years old.

What junior tournaments will she be playing next? Anyone know?

Go Sharon! She looks so promising... it would be great for Canadian fans.. It's been long overdue since Carling Bassett.

Only time will tell :)

~SunFlower~
Mar 31st, 2004, 06:19 AM
If Sharon Fichman plays at 2004 Canadian U18 ITF Junior World Ranking Event (Grade 5 ITF junior) this mid-July in Vancouver, it will be the first time I will watch her playing.... she didn't go last year. So, I have a great chance to see her. :kiss: :smooch:

~CANUCK~
Mar 31st, 2004, 10:59 PM
My guess would be that sharon would play the italian open as it is a grade A and then some tournies in france to get ready for the french open. But i could be totally wrong.

canuckfan
Apr 13th, 2004, 02:33 AM
Fichman, Zoricic, Shulaeva, Gloria and Rice are all in action this week at the U18 canadien championship. It will be interesting to see how Sharon do after her (bad) loss:tape: to Kotkina in Brazil. She won 60 60 today :) She should meet Shulaeva in the quarters.

canuckfan
Apr 17th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Sharon won the U18 canadien championship today, beating Valerie Tetreault 63 75 in the final. Here're some results

quarters:
Fichman(5) def Shulaeva(1) 62 36 64
Gloria(3) def Rice(6) 63 62
Tetreault(4) def Toporowski 60 63
Zoricic(2) def Milic(8) 62 64

semis:
Fichman(5) def Gloria(3) 62 36 64
Tetreault(4) def Zoricic 64 46 64

final:
Fichman(5) def Tetreault 63 75

~SunFlower~
Apr 18th, 2004, 12:46 AM
http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forums/images/smilies/cheering.gif Excellent job, Sharon! http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forums/images/smilies/cheering.gif

On the girls’ side, Fichman became only the third 13-year-old to win the Under-18 category after beating Tétreault in straight sets, joining successful WTA players Carling Bassett-Seguso and Helen Kelesi.

“I’m really happy to follow in their footsteps,” said Fichman. “It’s great to know I have a great future. No one expected me to be here at my age, let alone make the finals.”

The youngster battled hard and staved off several set points for Tétreault in the second set.

“I was so nervous at times and starting hitting short balls,” said Fichman. “But I thought I played pretty well in general and just tried to forget about everything else. Valérie played very well, very solid – I guess I just wanted it more.”

In the doubles final, Fichman and Montreal’s Mélanie Gloria came out on top with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Jillian O'Neill of Beaconsfield, Que., and Erika Perez of Oakville, Ont.

~SunFlower~
Apr 18th, 2004, 12:57 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Sharon gets a maindraw WC at AT&T Cup in Toronto or at Bell Challenge in Quebec City next year.

Go Sharon! I think her next tournament will be in Canadian U18 Grade 5 ITF, Ace Tennis Academy, Burlington, ON from April 25 - May 01.

~CANUCK~
Apr 18th, 2004, 01:06 AM
I don't see sharon playing a grade 5 anymore, she will prolly play the italian open which is a grade A. The 30 points sharon would get for winning a grade 5 is meaningless to her.

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 18th, 2004, 01:30 AM
I think Sharon can't play on the main tour until she gets 14, so we need to forget about the WCs!

I am a bit surprised that she won though...If either Ko, Dubois and Wozniak would ahve been there she never would ahve won though!

Randy H
Apr 18th, 2004, 11:53 AM
A great achievement for Sharon, so young and already winning the U-18 title :D That's fantastic!

Even though some of the top girls weren't there she still beat Shulaeva who was a G2 finalist several weeks ago, and then beating Tetreault who has also been in very good form coming into the tournament.

Congratulations Sharon!

PS: I really like what she has to say in her quotes, she seems very mature :)

~CANUCK~
Apr 25th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Well sharon will be playing the italian open like i thought she would, she is in the qualifing but im sure she will qualify as she is great :D

~SunFlower~
May 16th, 2004, 07:38 PM
2004 Junior Italian Open

Krajicek (Ola, 1) vs. qualificata
Sabino (Ita) vs. qualificata
Marcio (Usa) vs. qualificata
Malek (Ger) vs. Gojnea (Rom, 15)

Zec-Peskiric (Slo, 12) vs. Mladenova (Bul)
Balda (Ecu) vs. Johansson (Sve)
Kulikova (Rus) vs. Molinero (Arg)
Rybarykova (Svk) vs. Szavay (Ung, 7)

Chvojkova (Rce, 4) vs. Vaideanu (Rom)
Rodina (Rus) vs. qualificata
Lesniak (Pol) vs. qualificata
Lukic (Scg) vs. Azarenka (Blr, 14)

Hsu (Cin, 10) vs. qualificata
Torre (Ita) vs. qualificata
Juricova (Svk) vs. Knapp (Ita)
Fichman (Can) vs. Cohen (Usa, 8)
=================================================
Havartsova (Blr, 5) vs. qualificata
Pereira (Bra) vs. Elie (Usa)
Kramperova (Rce) vs. Schoofs (Ola)
Donda (Arg) vs. Wozniak (Can, 11)

Sun (Cin, 13) vs. qualificata
Errani (Ita) vs. qualificata
Cibulkova (Svk) vs. Grebenyuk (Rus)
Bondarenko (Ucr, 3) vs. qualificata

Kotkina (Rus, 6) vs. Bek (Cro)
Alvarez (Bol) vs. Avedissian (Usa)
Thijssen (Ola) vs. qualificata
Erakovic (Nze, 9) vs. qualificata

Thongdach (Tha, 16) vs. Frankova (Rce)
Andersson (Sve) vs. Szatmari (Rom)
Dentoni (Ita) vs. Jerman (Slo)
Gabba (Ita) vs. Karatancheva (Bul, 2)

~SunFlower~
May 16th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Good luck Sharon Fichman! :banana:

Randy H
May 16th, 2004, 07:48 PM
thanks for posting this here Sharky :wavey:

good luck Sharon :D interesting match against Julia, she's not going to be overpower in this match so let's hope she can pull off the win!

good luck Aleksandra too :D

~CANUCK~
May 16th, 2004, 08:55 PM
I think sharon has a good chance to do well here. Lets hope she puts a beating on julia.

~SunFlower~
May 17th, 2004, 03:34 AM
Randy H, anytime. :wavey:

~CANUCK~
May 17th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Well sharon put a beating on julia :lol: way to go girl

¤CharlDa¤
May 18th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Alekz also won by a double bagel...Tough secdon round vs Schoofs though!

Hawk
May 18th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Yay Alekz and Sharon :D

Wozniak def. Schoofs 6-3, 7-6 ;)

Something odd I noticed..I was just looking at the ift drawsheet and when I clicked on the head to head for Fichman/Juricova it already has this match marked down with Fichman as the winner..though there is no score :scratch:

Are they attempting to predict the future? :p cause they don't have the results of this match up yet to my knowledge.

¤CharlDa¤
May 18th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Alekz :bounce: That was a very tough second round, could ahve been a quarter!

canuckfan
May 18th, 2004, 11:12 PM
Alekz have a very tough draw: Schoofs, then Havartsova and then maybe Bondarenko. The match against Havartsova could go either way. I think they are same strenght. But Havartsova/Azarenka destroyed Alekz and Valerie Tetreault 61 60 today :awww: ... (But the Belarussians are probably the best junior double team in the world right now)

Sharon has a very good chance to reach the quarters as she meet a wild card in the round of 16.

Good luck to both :yeah:

¤CharlDa¤
May 20th, 2004, 03:44 AM
Well Alekz lost 6-4 7-6 in a close matcch....good week though!

¤CharlDa¤
May 20th, 2004, 03:45 AM
Where is everybody :sad:

¤CharlDa¤
May 20th, 2004, 05:02 PM
We ahve a canuck in the quarters!!!!

Fichman def Toree 6-4 6-0! That girl is gonna be big!

Hawk
May 20th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Anyone know anything about Sharon's next opponent? Does she have a chance to get thru to the semi's?

¤CharlDa¤
May 20th, 2004, 09:06 PM
I think in Juniors every girl has a shot, but it will be by far Sharon's toughest test of the week :wavey:

canuckfan
May 20th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Anyone know anything about Sharon's next opponent? Does she have a chance to get thru to the semi's?

Azarenka is the kind of eastern european player that has all the future of her family on her shoulders, so she'll be hungry (even if it's just a junior event).She lost last week 61 61 against Gabba from Italy in her first match, so Sharon can perhaps beat her also. But if Sharon is really the master moonballer she appeared to be, I'm affraid that Azarenka will be patient and kill her just like Kotkina did in Brazil.

Trent Reznor
May 21st, 2004, 02:49 AM
Did she win by moon balling? I heard she played with power and drop shots this week. Against Kotkina she hit two or three moonballs the entire match. She tried (and failed!) to out hit her. Lots to learn at 13! :) :bounce:

Hawk
May 21st, 2004, 03:01 AM
Sharon's game is a mystery to most of us :confused:
I don't believe any of the canadians have seen her play. One poster said a little while ago that he saw her and she was a moon baller. :scratch:

I think the moon balls may have been a tactic though..I guess we won't know until someone sees her play more than once :p

~CANUCK~
May 21st, 2004, 03:37 AM
Ive heard that she is like a hingis type player but with more power. Like she plays by using her head, but can also smack the ball pretty good also. I have never seen her play, but i really doubt she is just a moonballer

canuckfan
May 26th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Well Dubois is in awfull form and Fichman seems to be injured...
But on the bright side Erik Chvojka defeated the number 4 player in the world in the 2nd round of the Astrid Bowl, and lost 62 60 in the 3rd round... :tape:

What's wrong with Steph? She have not won a match since a defeat to Peer at the australian open? (in juniors and challengers) She was so good a the end of last year...

Hawk
May 26th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Do we know what Sharon hurt? :confused:

¤CharlDa¤
May 27th, 2004, 11:24 PM
I hope nothing serious.. :sad:

Trent Reznor
May 29th, 2004, 02:58 AM
She sprained her wrist and thumb when she fell in the doubles. Had an xray etc. and is not too serious. Tried to play singles but couldn't.... :fiery: :mad:

~CANUCK~
May 29th, 2004, 06:40 PM
At least steff won the doubles event this week :D

Wiggly
May 29th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Did you tihnk the Canadians could have a good shot at Wimbledon?

I'm a Francophone so...

canuckfan
May 30th, 2004, 09:32 PM
:eek: at Alekz and Steph, especially Alekz! :clap2: What did they eat? Now that Kotkina is gone, Alekz has the easyest quarter. If she can beat Verardi, she should reach the quarters, and maybe she can beat Gajdosova...

¤CharlDa¤
May 31st, 2004, 12:40 AM
I know! And i want steph to face Sesil, to see what her level is right now! Impressive first day!

Wiggly
May 31st, 2004, 09:27 PM
Aleksandra loses!

¤CharlDa¤
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:11 AM
Strange match, since she completely dominated in the stats! At elast we still have steph, who plays Sesil next though :eek: Good luck to her!

canuckfan
Jun 14th, 2004, 12:16 AM
I saw Aleksandra today. She was back in Blainville (her hometown). She was surfing the web at our local library. I didn't talk to her. She seemed busy printing tournament entry forms and news about her run in Hamilton. She's very cute in person and she had a nice tan ;)

¤CharlDa¤
Jun 14th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Great performance from Steph thhis week!!!!! WOW!!! Impressive scorelines, without dropping a set!

canuckfan
Jul 22nd, 2004, 01:29 AM
Here's an article about Sharon Fichman on Canoe.ca. It seems she is a «counter-punching baseliner, but she prides herself on being able to play any style.». And I was suprised to know that she is Romanian/Israelian. She only lived in Canada for 5 years.

Teen phenom serves notice

Canadian tennis is looking for its next star and Mike Ulmer thinks he might have found her

By MIKE ULMER -- Toronto Sun

Sharon Fichman saw it coming.

The lost childhood question usually pops up. It's only a question of when.

"I guess you've heard this one before," I said.

"I get it a lot," she said, graciously.

This fall, Sharon Fichman enters her Grade 9 year at Forest Hill Collegiate Institute.

She is just 13 years old and already has seen much of the world: Italy, Brazil, Germany, the United States.

Sharon Fichman is a tennis prodigy who first picked up a racquet when she was three and won her first tournament at six.

She is also Canada's reigning under-18 indoor girls champ, having won the singles and, with partner Melanie Gloria, the doubles title in April.

Only two other Canadian women have captured the under-18 singles title at 13, Helen Kelesi and Carling Bassett. That's not bad company.

Canadian doubles star Daniel Nestor and Fichman were on hand yesterday to promote the opening of the spanking new Rexall Centre at York University.

The Tennis Masters Canada men's event will serve as the inaugural tournament for the facility, July 24 to Aug. 1.

It shouldn't surprise you that Sharon Fichman's goal is to be a top 10-player.

"That has been my dream for a while," she said. "I'd love to be able to travel and make a living out of tennis."

She practises and trains three hours a day, five or six days a week.

Hers is a family of achievers. Her parents, Julia and Bobby, emigrated from Romania to Israel and then, five years ago, to Canada.

Bobby was a semi-pro tennis player. Now he's a nuclear engineer.

His daughter said she inherited her competitiveness not from her father but from her brother, Thomas.

"We'd play together at the park and we'd have to race each other up the hill and it was important who was the fastest," she said. "It has always been with me, this always wanting to win. Losing was never good enough."

"Some kids enjoy being motivated and competing at a young age. Some don't. Everyone is different."

Fichman's style is a counter-punching baseliner, but she prides herself on being able to play any style.

Her idol is Belgian Justine Henin-Hardenne.

"I've been a fan since she won the U.S. Open last year," Fichman said. "There is just something special about her that is inexplicable. Her will, her mental abilities are what set her apart."

By now you've deduced that Sharon Fichman isn't like other 13-year-olds. She doesn't use the word "like" two or three times a sentence.

The notion that an adult mind is inhabiting a kid's body doesn't wash either. Most adults don't speak as coherently as she does.

All of this brings us back to the kid question.

For every phenom bustling through childhood, there seems to be a 20-year-old lamenting a lost childhood.

Some rebel against it while still in their teens, see: Capriati, Jennifer.

Of course, the notion of a 13-year-old boy who practises his hockey three hours every day doesn't seem quite so off-putting.

It really comes down to happiness. Who would have told Wayne Gretzky to knock off the hockey stuff and be a kid?

Sharon Fichman understands that the question has to be asked. She has given it some thought and decided, all in all, she loves her life.

"What am I missing out in terms of being a kid? Well, there are good things and bad things. I don't get to hang out with friends as much. The good thing is I've made a lot of friends in tennis.

"I know how it feels to be grown up and I think I've learned a lot really fast."

Trent Reznor
Aug 10th, 2004, 06:23 PM
She's born in Canada and has lived there all her life. That article is mostly wrong and her father is a computer engineer. Don't believe everything you read......

~SunFlower~
Sep 5th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Sharon Fichman qualified for her first Jr Grand Slam US Open main draw. :woohoo:

Lots of luck, Sharon :D

I still believe in her. She is our greatest Canadian hope! Her picture is updated at the junior tennis website. She has the cutest smile. :)

Next year, she can enter pro ITF events and maybe a WC for WTA Canadian tournament (more likely Vancouver).

Randy H
Sep 5th, 2004, 09:02 PM
good luck at the US Open Sharon! :)

Looking at her draw, she seems to have a decent first round match, but after that it's going to be tough - Hopefully she will have a great experience there and have a nice run :)

Sue Lyon
Sep 13th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Go Sharon Fichman!

Trent Reznor
Oct 2nd, 2004, 07:34 PM
GREAT Job at the Jr Fed cup by the Canadian girlz!!!
We have a great crop of girls from 13-18. Many will go far.... :)

Anik
Apr 27th, 2005, 01:07 AM
O’Neill a tremendous prospect
BY MICHAEL PIASETZKI - The Chronicle

Talk to anyone who has been following Canadian amateur tennis over the past several years and his or her eyebrows will immediately rise upon the mention of Jillian O’Neill.

That’s because in no uncertain terms, the 15-year-old Beaconsfield resident who moved to the West Island from Halifax three years ago is one of the country’s brightest prospects on the women’s side. As of last month, she was ranked 17th in Canada and 214th in the world.

Over the past couple of years, the Grade 10 Sport-Études student at John Rennie High School in Pointe Claire has been travelling the globe, not only playing in many of the most prestigious international junior tournaments, but accumulating good results as well. Her latest jaunt was to Key Biscayne, Fla., where she advanced to the semifinal in singles and captured the doubles with partner Jade Curtis of Great Britain at both the U.S.T.A. International Winter Championships and the Orange Bowl International Tennis championships.

“Advancing to the semifinal at the Orange Bowl was not only my most satisfying but probably my biggest accomplishment in tennis so far,” said O’Neill, who started playing tennis at the age of six. “I was able to stay focused, even after dropping the first set 6-0. I came back to win the second and third sets 6-2, 6-2 against a very tough opponent.”

O’Neill said the turning point in her still very young career came after placing third at the 2003 u-14 Junior Federation Cup world championships in Prostejov, Czech Republic. It was the first time Canada had finished in the top 10 in such a prestigious event.

“That tournament made me realize that in order to be a complete tennis player, it takes time, a lot of practice and many competitive matches,” she said.

“Of course, you have to have talent, but it takes a lot of hard work to put everything together. I did have a lot of success at an early age, but the matches are far more competitive now, and you have to be very tough mentally,” she added.

Moving to Beaconsfield from the East Coast was not a very difficult adjustment — mentally or physically — for O’Neill. Not only was she already fluently bilingual from having studied French immersion in Halifax, but also was already familiar with the West Island, having visited with her dad and brother the two previous summers.

The West Island is also where she was introduced to her present coach, Martin Simon, who O’Neill believes is the best technical teacher in the country. Named Coach of the Year by Tennis Canada for 2003, Simon said one of the biggest advantages O’Neill has going for her is size.

“She’s a tall girl,” said Simon, who also coaches Stephanie Dubois, currently one of the top-ranked women’s junior players in Canada.

“Yet very athletic and agile. She also moves extremely well on the court. Her strength though, lies in her ability to play aggressively. Her serve is also good and as she gets older will become a big weapon. All in all, she definitely has a very good international profile at a very young age,” he continued.

Simon must have been in seventh heaven when he heard about O’Neill coming back to win her quarter-final match at the Orange Bowl. That’s because he believes mental toughness is the biggest aspect of her game O’Neill has to work on right now.
In order to do that, she meets on a regular basis with well-known sports psychologist Wayne Halliwell, who has worked in the past with members of the Montreal Canadiens.

“My short term goal for this year is to reach the top 50 in the u-18 world ranking and to play all the junior Grand Slam events,” said O’Neill, who when not practising a minimum of five to six hours a day five days a week enjoys hitting the slopes and doing some skiing.

“My long term objective over the next two years is to improve my world ranking and turn pro.

“The next two years will also give me the opportunity to decided whether I want to attend a United States university on a tennis scholarship,” she added.

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 27th, 2005, 01:36 AM
Interesting article, she is kinda unknown in the new batch by most people! And congrats to her for the double crown in the U16s!

Hakapeszi
Dec 6th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Canadian Junior Champion Signs With Rice (http://riceowls.cstv.com/sports/w-tennis/spec-rel/113009aaa.html)

canuckfan
Dec 10th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Wow, I created this thread more than 5 years ago. It's interesting to see how things really panned out.

Alezk is in the 3rd round at the Banana Bowl. She'll play Theodora Mircic. She shoudn't have much problems. And Sharon have beaten Magdalena Rybarikova (54th in the world) :worship: She will play Agnes Szavay (14th in the world) next. She might have a shot because Rybarikova defeated Szavay last week. Good luck to both! :yeah:

Fichman defeated Rybarikova when she was 13 years old and lost in 3 to Szavay :eek:

Yup she is in the semis of the doubles, and with the new ranking system thats huge. Sharon is awesome. She was the best 12 year old last year. Now i would say she is the best 13 year old. I so can't wait till she is 15-16 and #1 in the world in juniors.

Oh well :shrug:

Alekz lost 6-3 6-3 :sad:

But hey it was a great match and Kotkina is in a class of ehr own right now!

Alekz lost both in singles and in doubles to the winning team so that'S pretty good!

Alekz :bounce: That was a very tough second round, could ahve been a quarter!

CharlDa was still a fan of Wozniak back then :lol:

Ive heard that she (Fichman) is like a hingis type player but with more power. Like she plays by using her head, but can also smack the ball pretty good also. I have never seen her play, but i really doubt she is just a moonballer

:tape: It's not a mystery anymore...

O’Neill a tremendous prospect
BY MICHAEL PIASETZKI - The Chronicle

Talk to anyone who has been following Canadian amateur tennis over the past several years and his or her eyebrows will immediately rise upon the mention of Jillian O’Neill.

That’s because in no uncertain terms, the 15-year-old Beaconsfield resident who moved to the West Island from Halifax three years ago is one of the country’s brightest prospects on the women’s side. As of last month, she was ranked 17th in Canada and 214th in the world.

Over the past couple of years, the Grade 10 Sport-Études student at John Rennie High School in Pointe Claire has been travelling the globe, not only playing in many of the most prestigious international junior tournaments, but accumulating good results as well. Her latest jaunt was to Key Biscayne, Fla., where she advanced to the semifinal in singles and captured the doubles with partner Jade Curtis of Great Britain at both the U.S.T.A. International Winter Championships and the Orange Bowl International Tennis championships.

“Advancing to the semifinal at the Orange Bowl was not only my most satisfying but probably my biggest accomplishment in tennis so far,” said O’Neill, who started playing tennis at the age of six. “I was able to stay focused, even after dropping the first set 6-0. I came back to win the second and third sets 6-2, 6-2 against a very tough opponent.”

O’Neill said the turning point in her still very young career came after placing third at the 2003 u-14 Junior Federation Cup world championships in Prostejov, Czech Republic. It was the first time Canada had finished in the top 10 in such a prestigious event.

“That tournament made me realize that in order to be a complete tennis player, it takes time, a lot of practice and many competitive matches,” she said.

“Of course, you have to have talent, but it takes a lot of hard work to put everything together. I did have a lot of success at an early age, but the matches are far more competitive now, and you have to be very tough mentally,” she added.

Moving to Beaconsfield from the East Coast was not a very difficult adjustment — mentally or physically — for O’Neill. Not only was she already fluently bilingual from having studied French immersion in Halifax, but also was already familiar with the West Island, having visited with her dad and brother the two previous summers.

The West Island is also where she was introduced to her present coach, Martin Simon, who O’Neill believes is the best technical teacher in the country. Named Coach of the Year by Tennis Canada for 2003, Simon said one of the biggest advantages O’Neill has going for her is size.

“She’s a tall girl,” said Simon, who also coaches Stephanie Dubois, currently one of the top-ranked women’s junior players in Canada.

“Yet very athletic and agile. She also moves extremely well on the court. Her strength though, lies in her ability to play aggressively. Her serve is also good and as she gets older will become a big weapon. All in all, she definitely has a very good international profile at a very young age,” he continued.

Simon must have been in seventh heaven when he heard about O’Neill coming back to win her quarter-final match at the Orange Bowl. That’s because he believes mental toughness is the biggest aspect of her game O’Neill has to work on right now.
In order to do that, she meets on a regular basis with well-known sports psychologist Wayne Halliwell, who has worked in the past with members of the Montreal Canadiens.

“My short term goal for this year is to reach the top 50 in the u-18 world ranking and to play all the junior Grand Slam events,” said O’Neill, who when not practising a minimum of five to six hours a day five days a week enjoys hitting the slopes and doing some skiing.

“My long term objective over the next two years is to improve my world ranking and turn pro.

“The next two years will also give me the opportunity to decided whether I want to attend a United States university on a tennis scholarship,” she added.

Completely disappeared :awww:

Sportgal1
Apr 13th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Well, this thread has been dead for a while. Interesting to see some of the old interviews, interesting to see which juniors panned out. Now we do have some interesting juniors coming up, though. Obviously there's Bouchard, but there's some other good juniors too. Ranks are current as of today. All achievements are in the past year unless otherwise stated.

Name: Eugenie Bouchard (1994)
Junior Rank: 6
Senior Rank: 372
Doubles Rank: 555
Big Achievements (singles): Won 10k Sibenik, 25k Burnie, Copa Gerdau (GA), Junior Australian Open SF.

Name: Carol Zhao (1995)
Junior Rank: 62
Senior Rank: 723
Doubles Rank: none
Big Achievements: 50k Toronto QF, 10k Antalya SF, Final 17th Sarawak Chief Minister's Cup (G1), Final Canadian U18 ranking event (G3)

Name: Elisabeth Abanda (1994)
Junior Rank: 109
Senior Rank: 849
Doubles Rank: 388
Big Achievements: QF 25k Waterloo, Won Canadian U18 ranking event (G3)

Name: Kimberly-Ann Surin (1994)
Junior Rank: 177
Senior Rank: 776
Big Achievements: 2R 50k Toronto&Saguenay, Final Canadian Mid-West ITF (G5), 3R International Casablanca Junior Cup (GA)

Name: Francoise Abanda (1997)
Junior Rank: 181
Senior Rank: none
Big Achievements: 2R International Casablanca Junior Cup (GA), 3R Coffee Bowl (Copa del Cafe)(G1)

Others: (people who have been highly ranked, or people who just interest me)

Elianne Douglas-Miron (1994), Junior 866 (been to 133)
Marianne Jodoin (1993), Junior (been to 72), Senior (been to 1093) Does anyone know what happened to Marianne?
Gloria Liang (1996), Junior 954

What do you guys think? Anyone to follow in Marino and Wozniak's footsteps?

Sportgal1
May 26th, 2011, 01:34 AM
French Open qualies:

(6)Carol Zhao (CAN) v (wc)Sybille Gauvain (FRA)
(12)Katharina Lehnert (GER) v Aminat Kushkhova (RUS)

(4)Marie Elise Casares (ECU) v Kimberley-Ann Surin (CAN)
(16)Ayaka Okuno (JPN) v (wc)Audrey Albie (FRA)

no Abanda sisters though...

ESimp
May 29th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Anyone know why Genie isn't playing in the RG Juniors?

Also good first round win today by Carol!

Sportgal1
May 29th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Genie has shin-splints: http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2011/05/26/bouchard-out-of-junior-french-open/

Good job Carol! Good luck against Khromacheva next round

Sportgal1
Aug 28th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Canadian Open (G1)

Francoise and Genie are defending 3R and Zhao is defending 2R. All three will be at the US Open next week, with Surin currently 5 out, though some girl in qualies will get MDWCs. Apparently there's a live stream too;). Hopefully all the Canadian girls have a good week, they're bolded.

Two questions for anyone who might know:confused:
- How did Putintseva get the third seed? I thought it was by ranking?
- Where is Liz Abanda?

(1)Barty - BYE
Ozaki vs. Deheza, M.P.
Shankle vs. Zacarias
BYE - Abanda (15)

(9)Schmiedlova - BYE
Laurent vs. (WC)Surin
Lee vs. Patiuk
BYE - Kontaveit (7)

(3)Putintseva - BYE
(Q)Vickery vs. Rohanova
Kiick vs. (WC)Routliffe
BYE - Haas(14)

(10)Min - BYE
Cadar vs. (LL)Deigman
Zhao vs. Poznikhirenko
BYE - Bosio(6)

(5)De Vroome - BYE
(Q)Garcia vs. Dewar
Hibino vs. (WC)Petrick
BYE - Gonzalez, D.(11)

(13)Razafimahatratra - BYE
(Q)Morosova vs. Malova
(Q)Schippers vs. (WC)Liang
BYE - Gonzalez, M.(4)

(8)Maleckova - BYE
Deheza, M.I. vs. (Q)Douglas-Miron
Elbaba vs. Fanning
BYE - Sasnovich (12)

(16)Makarova - BYE
Jang vs. (WC)Muamba
Ninomiya vs. Margulis
BYE - Bouchard (WC/2)

Some1
Aug 29th, 2011, 03:28 PM
When a junior has a high pro ranking, like Putintseva, they get a special seeding in junior events ;)

And Abanda is playing in the NCAA now so I guess she couldn't come here.

Sportgal1
Aug 29th, 2011, 11:35 PM
(1)Barty - BYE
Deheza, M.P. d. Ozaki 6-2,0-6,7-5
Zacarias d. (Q)Shankle 6-7(7),7-5,6-1
Abanda (15) - BYE

(9)Schmiedlova - BYE
(WC)Surin d. Laurent 4-6,6-3,6-1
Lee d. Patiuk 6-2,6-2
Kontaveit (7) - BYE

(3)Putintseva - BYE
(Q)Vickery d. Rohanova 6-2,6-1
Kiick d. (WC)Routliffe 6-4,6-7(8),6-2
Haas(14) - BYE

(10)Min - BYE
Cadar d. (LL)Deigman 4-6,6-0,6-1
Zhao d. Poznikhirenko 4-6,6-4,7-693)
Bosio(6)- BYE

(5)De Vroome - BYE
Dewar d. (Q)Garcia 7-6(7),7-6(5)
Hibino d. (WC)Petrick 7-6(3),7-5
Gonzalez, D.(11) - BYE

(13)Razafimahatratra - BYE
Malova d. (Q)Morozova 6-1,1-6,6-4
(WC)Liang d. (Q)Schippers 6-2,6-4
BYE - Gonzalez, M.(4)

(8)Maleckova - BYE
(Q)Douglas-Miron d. Deheza, M.I. 6-3,6-4
Elbaba d. Fanning 3-6,6-3,6-0
Sasnovich (12) - BYE

(16)Makarova - BYE
Jang d. (WC)Muamba 6-1,6-2
Ninomiya d. Margulis 6-2,6-0
Bouchard (WC/2) - BYE

6 Canadians in the 2nd round!
@some1 thx, I hadn't known Abanda went to NCAA

Sportgal1
Sep 1st, 2011, 05:58 AM
Round 2
(1)Barty d. Deheza, M.P. 6-3,6-0
(15)Abanda d. Zacarias 6-7(5),7-6(6),6-3
(9)Schmiedlova d. (WC)Surin 7-5,6-4
(7)Kontaveit d. Lee 6-2,5-7,6-1

(Q)Vickery d. (3)Putintseva 7-6(4),6-4
Kiick d. (14)Haas 6-4,7-5
Cadar d. (10)Min 6-3,6-1
Zhao d. (6)Bosio 6-2, 6-3

(5)De Vroome d. Dewar 6-4,6-3
Hibino d. (10)Gonzalez, D. 6-3,6-2
Malova d. (13)Razafimahatratra 6-4,6-4
(4)Gonzalez, M. d.(WC)Liang 6-4,6-4

(8)Maleckova d. (Q)Douglas-Miron 6-0,6-1
Elbaba d. (12)Sasnovich 6-3,6-3
Jang d. (16)Makarova 6-3,6-7(3),6-3
(2/WC)Bouchard d. Ninomiya 6-2,7-6(4)

Round 3
(15)Abanda d. (1)Barty 6-3,3-6,6-3
(9)Schmiedlova d. (7)Kontaveit 6-4,6-4
(Q)Vickery d. Kiick 6-0,7-5
Zhao d. Cadar 6-0,3-6,7-6(2)

(5)De Vroome d. Hibino 6-1,6-7(5),6-4
(4)Gonzalez M. d. Malova 7-6(4),5-7,6-4
(8)Maleckova d. Elbaba 4-6,7-6(5),6-4
(2/WC)Bouchard d. Jang 6-0,6-0

3 Canadians in the quarters:cool:

Sportgal1
Sep 11th, 2011, 01:29 AM
As most of you saw, Genie bt. Abanda in the final
At the US Open Abanda made R3, Genie R2, Carol R1, and Surin Q1. A bit disappointing after the last weeks tournament.
Zhao and Bouchard are at the Bell Challenge. Zhao lost 7-6, 6-1 to Paz in the first round of qualies. I thought Abanda was going to be there as well, but I guess she withdrew:shrug:

Sportgal1
Sep 13th, 2011, 05:32 AM
A lot of the younger (or lower ranked) juniors are playing the U18 Canadian World Ranking Event, G3 this week.

Aliaksandra Sasnovich (Blr) (1) d. Nada Marjanovic (Can) 6-0 6-0
Vitaliya Alkhovik (Usa) d. Alexandra Axenova (Can) 5-7 6-4 6-4
Wallis Vitis (Fra) d. Claudine Maheu (Can) 6-2 6-0
Denise Starr (Usa) (7) d. Gloria Liang (Can) 6-1 6-2

Christina Makarova (Usa) (3) d. Iana Nikolaeva (Can) 6-0 6-3
Charlotte Petrick (Can) d. Ekaterina Bure (Usa) 6-4 5-7 6-3
Alexandra Morozova (Usa) d. Aissa Muamba (Can) 6-4 3-6 6-3
Kimberley-Ann Surin (Can) (5) d. Alice Garcia (Bra) 6-2 6-2

Chalena Scholl (Usa) (8) d. Eveline Lepinay (Can) 6-1 6-0
Erin Routliffe (Can) d. Alanna Wolff (Usa) 6-1 4-6 6-3
Johnnise Renaud (Usa) d. Michelle Dandik (Can) 6-3 6-1
Ganna Poznikhirenko (Ukr) (4) d. Alexandra Poissant (Can) 6-0 6-1

Nadia Echeverria Alam (Usa) (6) d. Hannah Sulz (Can) 6-2 6-1
Katrine Isabel Steffensen (Usa) d. Jessica Denemark (Can) 6-0 6-0
Devin Chypyha (Can) d. Kandis Legall (Usa) 6-3 6-2
Zarah Razafimahatratra (Mad) (2) d. Lauren Chypyha (Can) 6-2 6-3

There were a lot of bagels given to Canadian girls, about 8 by my count. It's too bad Liang had to play Starr right away, she'd been having a good year. I didn't expect 6-1 6-2 though:crying2:
Petrick is a '97 girl like Abanda, so it's nice to see her winning a G3 match. She won a G5 earlier this year defeating the 3rd, 8th and 1st seeds (the first seed is ranked about 297 in the world). She's ranked about 643. She plays Christina Makarova next round though, who's one of the top '96 girls. She's ranked 45 in the world, so I hope it's a good experience for her.
Good luck to all the Canadians in the second round.:cheer:

Sportgal1
Sep 29th, 2011, 05:29 AM
Junior Fed Cup going on right now, the Canadians got in when the Americans withdrew, but are still seeded second. The team consists of Francoise Abanda, Carol Zhao and Erin Routliffe. They've won against Romania and Chinese Taipei so far and will face 8th seed Brazil next. However, they still haven't used Abanda.

Canada def. Romania 3-0
Erin Routliffe (CAN) def. Cristina Oana Ene (ROM) 6-4 6-0
Carol Zhao (CAN) def. Ioana Loredena Rosca (ROM) 6-2 6-4
Erin Routliffe/Carol Zhao (CAN) def. Nicoleta Catalina Dascalu/Ioana Loredana Rosca (ROM) 6-4 6-1

Canada def. Chinese Taipei 3-0
Erin Routliffe (CAN) def. Ya-Hsuan Lee (TPE) 6-2 7-6(5)
Carol Zhao (CAN) def. Ching-Wen Hsu (TPE) 6-3 6-4
Erin Routliffe/Carol Zhao (CAN) def. Chu-Chu Chueh/Ya-Hsuan Lee (TPE) 6-4 2-6 7-5

Canada def. Brazil 2-1
Erin Routliffe (CAN) def. Luisa Gerstner Rosa (BOL) 6-4 6-1
Carol Zhao (CAN) def. Beatriz Haddad Maia (BRA) 6-3 5-7 6-4
Beatriz Haddad Maia/Luisa Gerstner Rosa (BRA) def. Erin Routliffe/Carol Zhao (CAN) 7-5 6-4

At the Waco G4 itf, there were 4 Canadians in action. None made it to the QF, despite having the 4 and 6 seeds.

Round 1:
Zhang(4) (Can) df. Cunningham 6-3 6-0
Petrick(6) (Can) df. Nickerson 6-1 6-0
Sulz(15) (Can) df. Boyer 6-2 6-1
Norris df. Yang(13) Can 6-0 6-1

Round 2:
Zhang(4) (Can) df. Hayley(WC) 6-0 6-4
Sulz(15) (Can) df. Hughes 2-6 6-2 6-2
Frenkel(WC) df. Petrick(6) Can) 6-3 6-0

Round 3:
Riley df. Zhang(4) (Can) 6-4 6-3
Riobueno de Paolo(2) df. Sulz(15) (Can) 6-2 6-0

And for anyone who's interested, a quick article about Charlotte Petrick. http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3037159

Sportgal1
Oct 1st, 2011, 11:55 PM
Canada advances to the final of junior Fed Cup, with a 2-1 win over Italy! They'll play Australia, led by Ashleigh Barty.

SF:
Carol Zhao (CAN) d. Camilla Rosatello (ITA) 7-5 6-1
Francoise Abanda (CAN) lt. Giulia Pairone (ITA)2-6 1-6
Carol Zhao/Erin Routliffe d. Camilla Rosatello /Giulia Pairone 4-6 6-2 7-5

It looks like Francoise's shoulder isn't completely well, as the girl she lost to is ranked around 2000 in the ITF junior rankings. That sucks as Frankie just beat Barty at the Canadian G1. Oh well, good luck in the finals!

Sportgal1
Dec 10th, 2011, 11:59 PM
It's been a great week at the Orange Bowl for Canadians. Erin Routliffe won the 16s singles and doubles titles! Charlotte Petrick was her partner for the doubles.
Carol Zhao made the 18s doubles semis, losing 18-16 in super tie break.
Genie made the 18s singles semifinal, retiring because of the same ab strain that caused her to retire from Eddie Herr.

All in all, a really good week for Canadian juniors!

http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2011/12/10/orange-bowl-routliffe-wins-16s-title/

As well, Katherine Sebov made the Eddie Herr 12s semifinal last week, so congrats to her!

Just for interest:

http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2011/12/10/canadian-coaching-carousel/

Petrick at Orange Bowl interview : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWbgLXm3gAg&list=UUPuN9uOfMEfkB935cZXFlBg&index=12&feature=plcp

Sportgal1
Feb 6th, 2012, 11:42 PM
Well, it's been a while since this thread's been used. I know that most people follow the results in the junior's sections, but I thought I'd update this anyway. Erin Routliffe went up almost 200 ranking places after a semi at a G2 last week. It happened a while ago, but congratulations to Katarina Kopcalic for being the first 1998 ranked Canadian girl. Many of the Canadian juniors are playing at a G2 this week, as well.

Week of Feb 6

Contador del Plata G2 (Bolivia):

R1:
Michelle Yang (CAN) d. (WC) Elizabeth Arce(BOL) 6-4 7-5
12 Marika Akkerman (CAN) - Bye
Charlotte Petrick (CAN) d. Julia Albuquerque (BRA) 6-2 2-6 6-1
9 Kimberly-Ann Surin (CAN)- Bye
Erin Routliffe (CAN) - Bye

R2:
Michelle Yang (CAN) lt. 1 Marcela Zacarias 1-6 0-6
Charlotte Petrick (CAN) lt. 4 Candelaria Sedano-Acosta 3-6 6-3 1-6
12 Marika Akkerman (CAN) d. Julia Suzuki 6-0 6-1
9 Kimberly-Ann Surin (CAN) d. (WC) Isabel Veronica Boada 6-2 6-2
Erin Routliffe (CAN) d. 5 Hedda Odegaard 6-1 6-0

R3:
12 Marika Akkerman (CAN) lt. Natalia Davila (BOL)3-6 3-6
9 Kimberly-Ann Surin (CAN) lt. 7 Guadalupe Perez Rojas (ARG)4-6 2-6
Erin Routliffe (CAN) d. 11 Maria Limanskaya (RUS) 6-4 6-2

QF:
Erin Routliffe lt. 2 Maria Ines Deheza (BOL)7-5 4-6 2-6

Doubles:
R1:
Yang/Contador (ARG) - Bye
5 Akkerman/Ucros (COL) - Bye
8 Routliffe/Surin - Bye

R2:
5 Akkerman/Ucros d. Yang/Contador 6-4 6-0
8 Routliffe/Surin d. Antequerra/Baron (BOL) 6-3 6-0

QF:
5 Akkerman/Ucros d. 3 Deheza/Farra (BOL) 6-3 6-0
8 Routliffe/Surin d. 2 Angeles-Paz (PER)/Sedano-Acosta (ITA) 6-7(7) 6-3 1-7

SF:
5 Akkerman/Ucros lt. 1 Perez Rojas (ARG)/Zacarias (MEX) 3-6 3-6
8 Routliffe/Surin d. 6 Alkohvik (USA)/Chasovskikh (RUS) W/O

F:
8 Routliffe/Surin lt. 1 Perez Rojas (ARG)/Zacarias (MEX) 3-6 1-6

International Junior Open Club Casablanca Mexico City 2012 G4:
R1:
Claudia Maheu (CAN) lt. Andrea Perez-Lopez 6-1 3-6 6-7(4)
Cassandra Webster (CAN) df. Marcella Castillo Esquivel 6-2 6-2

R2:
Cassandra Webster (CAN) lt. 8 Jacqueline Zuhse (USA) 2-6 3-6

Doubles:
Leduc/Maheu (CAN) vs. Gulsrud(NOR)/Hepp(GER) 6-7(8) 2-6
Feijoo(MEX)/Webster(CAN) lt. Alvarez/Perez-Lopez (MEX) 3-6 1-6

Nairobi International Junior Championships 1 2012 (G5)
(WC) Anne-Sophie Courteau lt. (WC)Krystyna Shumlianska (UKR)4-6 5-7

Sportgal1
Feb 6th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Entry Lists (MD and Q, some ALTS)

Week of Feb 13:
Jalisco Junior Cup 2012 G4
Claudine Maheu
Marie-Alexandre Leduc

Copa Milo 2012 G2
K-A Surin
Lauren Chypyha
Wendy Qi-Wen Zhang
Devin Chypyha
Charlotte Petrick
Erin Routliffe
Michelle Yang

Week of Feb 20
Argentina Cup 2012 2012 (G2)
K-A Surin
Lauren Chypyha
Wendy Qi-Wen Zhang
Devin Chypyha
Charlotte Petrick
Erin Routliffe
Michelle Yang

Week of Feb 27
Copa Universidad Galileo 2012 (G4)
Marika Akkerman

Uruguay Bowl 2012 (G2)
Lauren Chypyha
Wendy Qi-Wen Zhang
Devin Chypyha
Charlotte Petrick
Michelle Yang

Ryan
Feb 9th, 2012, 01:58 AM
Thanks for all the updates Sportgal1, you're doing a great job keeping us posted on the Junior results. :bowdown:

Sportgal1
Feb 9th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Thanks for all the updates Sportgal1, you're doing a great job keeping us posted on the Junior results. :bowdown:

Thanks, it's fun to follow the juniors :)

Sportgal1
Feb 13th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Week of Feb 13. Huge Canadian contingent at the G2 this week :D good luck everyone
and a couple of career highs were reached last week:
Routliffe is now #184, Akkerman #256

Copa Milo 2012 G2 (Chile)

R1:
Michelle Yang (CAN) lt. 15 Maria Limanskaya (RUS) 6-4 6-7(2) 1-6
Charlotte Petrick (CAN) lt. 12 Aleksandra Zenovka (RUS) 6-7(4) 6-7(2)
Lauren Chypyha (CAN) lt. 9 Laura Ucros (COL) 2-6 5-7
Wendy Qi-Wen Zhang (CAN) d. (Q) Colomba Di Filippo (CHI) 6-3 6-3
Devin Chypyha (CAN) d. (WC) Daniela Ampuero (CHI) 6-0 6-0
8 Kimberly-Ann Surin (CAN) d. (Q) Luna Cagnoni (ARG) 6-3 6-1
16 Erin Routliffe (CAN) d. Mara Sofia Martinez-Santori 6-0 6-0
R2:
Wendy Qi-Wen Zhang (CAN) lt. 10 Guadalupe Perez Rojas 6-3 4-6 2-6
Devin Chypyha (CAN) lt. 3 Kelsey Laurente 2-6 7-6(2) 3-6
8 Kimberly-Ann Surin (CAN) d.(WC) Natalia Davila 7-5 6-1
16 Erin Routliffe (CAN) d. Cecillia Barrionuevo 6-2 6-3
R3:
8 Kimberly-Ann Surin (CAN) d. 11 Stephanie Muriel Petit (ARG) 4-6 7-5 6-0
16 Erin Routliffe (CAN) d. 2 Maria Constanza de las Mercedes Vega (ARG) 6-4 6-4
QF:
8 Kimberly-Ann Surin (CAN) lt. 1 Kyle McPhillips (USA) 4-6 0-6
16 Erin Routliffe (CAN) d. 9 Laura Ucros (COL) 6-2 6-0
SF:
16 Erin Routliffe (CAN) d. (Q) Stefania Hristov (ROU) 6-3 6-0
F:
16 Erin Routliffe (CAN) lt. 1 Kyle McPhillips (USA) 6-7(9) 1-6

Doubles:
R1:
8 Petrick/Surin d. Yang/Barrionuevo(ARG) W/O
Zhang/Hristov(ROU) d. 6 Cardona(COL)/Siles Luna(PAR) 7-5 6-3
Chypyha/Chypyha d. De Carli(ARG)/Garcia Carrera(MEX) 6-4 6-1
R2:
8 Petrick/Surin d. Odegaard(NOR)/Souza(BRA)4-6 6-4 10-4
Zhang/Hristov(ROU) d. Chypyha/Chypyha
QF:
8 Petrick/Surin lt. McPhillips(USA)/Laurente(USA) 6-7(3) 3-6 5-10
Zhang/Hristov(ROU) lt. Blanco(ARG)/Bruzzesi Avella 3-6 0-6

Jalisco Junior Cup 2012 G4 (Mexico)

Q1:
Cassandra Webber (CAN) lt. Valeria Aguillon (MEX) 2-6 1-6
Marie-Alexandre Leduc (CAN) d. Lorena Madahuar 6-4 6-4
Q2:
Marie-Alexandre Leduc (CAN) d. Maria Jose Samano Moreno (MEX) 6-3 6-0
Q3:
Marie-Alexandre Leduc (CAN) d. Alexia Coutino-Castillo (MEX) 6-0 6-1

R1:
Claudine Maheu (CAN) lt. 3 Jessica Cortes 4-6 4-6
(Q) Marie-Alexandre Leduc (CAN) d. (WC) Sofia Macias Mendoza (MEX) 6-4 7-6(3)
R2:
(Q) Marie-Alexandre Leduc (CAN) lt. 7 Anna Wierda 6-4 6-3

Doubles:
Leduc/Maheu lt. 2 Bramato/Rodriguez (MEX) 5-7 7-5 3-10

bassoon
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I agree; these updates are great! I wish the lovemeansnothing.ca website would devote a little more interest to the juniors. A lot of Canadian youngsters are doing great things right now, on both the boys and girls sides. I hope things materialize for them when they transition. A lot of Canadians in the past have done well in juniors and sort of stalled when they went pro - Jeyaseelan, Fichman, Dabrowski, even Bester and Polansky were much more dominant as juniors than now - darn injuries!!! Anyone know about Francoise Abanda's recovery? She's only played one Jr. Fed. cup match since the US open. I was hoping she'd be back for Australia.........

Sportgal1
Feb 20th, 2012, 02:27 AM
I agree; these updates are great! I wish the lovemeansnothing.ca website would devote a little more interest to the juniors. A lot of Canadian youngsters are doing great things right now, on both the boys and girls sides. I hope things materialize for them when they transition. A lot of Canadians in the past have done well in juniors and sort of stalled when they went pro - Jeyaseelan, Fichman, Dabrowski, even Bester and Polansky were much more dominant as juniors than now - darn injuries!!! Anyone know about Francoise Abanda's recovery? She's only played one Jr. Fed. cup match since the US open. I was hoping she'd be back for Australia.........

:) thanks. I've been watching for Abanda too, she was on a few of the entry list's and pulled out. I checked her twitter and there was nothing. At least she doesn't have anything to defend for the next few months. As long as she comes back fully healed, I'm happy. Also, I find that the lovemeansnothing.ca is extremely hard to navigate and rarely has any results quickly, so rarely go there.

Week of Feb 20:

Argentina Cup G2

Q1:
6 Michelle Yang (CAN) d. Luna Cagnoni (ARG) 6-1 6-0
Q2:
6 Michelle Yang (CAN) lt. 11 Julia Mansano Gomide (BRA) 6-2 4-6 3-6

R1:
(LL) Michelle Yang (CAN) lt. (Q) Marie Decamps (BRA) 3-6 2-6
Charlotte Petrick (CAN) lt. (WC)Ana Madcur (ARG) 2-6 3-6
Wendy Qi-Wen Zhang (CAN) d. Mia King (USA) 6-4 6-2
(8)Erin Routliffe (CAN) v Bye
(7)Kimberley-Ann Surin (CAN) v Bye
Devin Chypyha (CAN) d Trinidad Maria Merdeni (WC) 2-6 6-3 6-0
R2:
7 Kimberley-Ann Surin (CAN) lt. Josie Kuhlman (USA) 6-7(7) 6-4 7-5
Wendy Qi-Wen Zhang (CAN) lt. 10 Stephanie Muriel Petit (ARG) 2-6 5-7
Devin Chypyha lt. 1 Montserrat Gonzalez (PAR) 3-6 2-6
8 Erin Routliffe (CAN) d. Sofia Blanco (ARG) 6-2 6-3
R3:
8 Erin Routliffe (CAN) d. 11 Aleksandra Zenovska 6-3 2-6 6-3
QF:
8 Erin Routliffe (CAN) d. 4 Guadalupe Perez Rojas (ARG) 6-4 6-1
SF:
8 Erin Routliffe (CAN)10 Stephanie Muriel Petit (ARG) 6-3 6-0
F:
8 Erin Routliffe (CAN) lt. 2 Maria Constanza de las Mercedes Vega 6-3 1-6 3-6

Doubles:
R1:
BLANCO(ARG)/BRUZZESI AVELLA(ARG) d. CHYPYHA(CAN)/CHYPYHA(CAN) 6-4 6-1
HRISTOV(ROU)/ZHANG(CAN) d. GEHRE BOETTNER(PAR)/ Luca NAGYMIHALY(HUN) 6-3 6-2
ROUTLIFFE(CAN)/SURIN(CAN) [3] BYE
PETRICK (CAN)/SEDANO-ACOSTA(ITA) [5] BYE
R2:
PETRICK(CAN)/SEDANO-ACOSTA(ITA) [5] d. HRISTOV(ROU)/ZHANG(CAN) 6-2 6-4
ROUTLIFFE(CAN)/SURIN(CAN) [3] d. COSTAMAGNA(ARG)/MADCUR(ARG) Walkover
QF:
PEREZ ROJAS(ARG)/PETIT(ARG) [2] d. PETRICK(CAN)/SEDANO-ACOSTA(ITA) [5] 6-4 7-6(4)
ROUTLIFFE(CAN)/SURIN(CAN) [3] d. DZINIC(SRB)/OSTOJIC(SRB) [6] 6-3 6-2
SF:
ROUTLIFFE(CAN)/SURIN(CAN) [3] d. PEREZ ROJAS(ARG)/PETIT(ARG) [2] 7-5 6-1
F:
ROUTLIFFE(CAN)/SURIN(CAN) [3] lt. ANGELES PAZ(PER)/VEGA(ARG) [1] 4-6 3-6

Sportgal1
Feb 27th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Week of February 27:

Uruguay Bowl G2

Q1:
1 Charlotte Petrick (CAN) - BYE
Q2:
1 Charlotte Petrick (CAN) lt. 7 Tornado Alicia Black (USA) 1-6 1-6

R1:
(LL) Charlotte Petrick (CAN) d. (Q) Caroline Doyle (USA) 2-6 0-6
Wendy Qi-Wen Zhang (CAN) d. (LL) Sara Gimenez (PAR) 6-2 3-6 6-4
R2:
Wendy Qi-Wen Zhang (CAN) lt. 2 Stephanie Nauta (USA) 5-7 0-6

Doubles:
R1:
Hristov(ROU)/Zhang(CAN) d. King(USA)/Kuhlman(USA) 6-3 2-6 10-7
R2:
Hristov(ROU)/Zhang(CAN) lt. Haddad Maia(BRA)/Gamarra Martins(BRA) 3-6 4-6

Sportgal1
Mar 18th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Well, Zhao's been on a role lately. Last week she lost in the final of a G1 in Thailand and won the doubles. This brought her to #29 in the rankings. She's playing in the final of the 19th Sarawak Chief Minister's Cup (I) vs. Kulichkova, who has been her doubles partner for the last two weeks. GOOD LUCK! They made the semis this week. She won't make much gain from this weeks tourny, as she made the final last year. But really good work, we now have 3 top 30 juniors! Genie will fall to about 6 next week, since she's not defending Gerdau, but it's her last year so it shouldn't matter since she'll still be seeded at slams.

Top 10 Juniors currently: (all in top 500!)
1. Eugenie Bouchard #4
2. Francoise Abanda #21
3. Carol Zhao #29 CHR
4. Erin Routliffe #88
5. Kimberly-Ann Surin #160
6. Gloria Liang #224 (CHR, made QF at G3 last week, made finals of a G4 this week and won doubles. Should go up more to about 200)
7. Marika Akkerman # 256
8. Devin Chypyha #427
9. Wendy Qi-Wen Zhang #465
10. Lauren Chyphyha #491

Next week Zhao and Surin are playing another G1, while Akkerman's playing a GA
*Only Zhao ended playing
Singles:
R1: Carol ZHAO (CAN) [2] BYE
R2: Carol ZHAO (CAN) [2] 6-1 1-6 6-0 Rongrong LEENABANCHONG (THA)
R3: Carol ZHAO (CAN) [2] 6-2 6-1 Natsumi CHIMURA (JPN)
QF: Carol ZHAO (CAN) [2] 6-4 3-6 6-4 Rutuja BHOSALE (IND) [7]
SF: Carol ZHAO (CAN) [2] vs. Anna TYULPA (RUS) [4]

Doubles:
R1: Elizaveta KULICHKOVA (RUS) / Carol ZHAO (CAN) [1] BYE
R2: Elizaveta KULICHKOVA (RUS) / Carol ZHAO (CAN) [1] 6-3 6-0 Louise OXNEVAD (NZL) / Ambika PANDE(IND)
QF: Elizaveta KULICHKOVA (RUS) / Carol ZHAO (CAN) [1] vs. Mami ADACHI (JPN) / Hikari YAMAMOTO (JPN)

Sportgal1
Apr 14th, 2012, 12:35 AM
Interesting news this week. Franncoise Abanda made here return as the number 1 seed a G2 in France, but unfortunately lost in the first round. Routliffe is also there, and has won the doubles title and is into the singles final.

Tennis Open Junior de Cap d'Ail G2
R1: Darya KASATKINA (RUS) d. Francoise ABANDA (CAN) 6-4 6-4[1]
R1:Erin ROUTLIFFE (CAN) [7] d. Estelle CASCINO (FRA) 6-1 6-4
R2:Erin ROUTLIFFE (CAN) [7] d. Megane BIANCO (SUI) 6-1 6-2
QF:Erin ROUTLIFFE (CAN) [7] d. Solene GUYOMARD (FRA) 6-2 6-0
SF: Erin ROUTLIFFE (CAN) [7] d. Iva MEKOVEC (CRO) [2] 2-6 6-4 6-3
F: Erin ROUTLIFFE (CAN) [7] d. Irina Maria Bara (ROU) 6-2 6-3

Doubles Final : Routliffe/Lottner [4] d. Bogoliy/Rosatello [1] 6-3 6-0

As well there is a G4 in Canada right now, where Gloria Liang made her comeback. So many Canadians, I'll only put up from the quarterfinals onwards.

30th All Canadian Junior Championships G4
QF:
Gloria LIANG (CAN) [1] d. Emily BRADSHAW (CAN) [10] 6-0 6-2
Charlotte PETRICK (CAN) [3] d. Aissa MUAMBA (CAN) [9] 6-4 6-2
Teona VELEHORSCHI (ROU) [12] d. Alice GARCIA (BRA) [4] 5-7 6-4 6-2
Devin CHYPYHA (CAN) [2] d. Evangeline REPIC (CAN) [8] 6-3 6-3

SF:
Charlotte PETRICK (CAN) [3] d. Gloria LIANG (CAN) [1] 7-6(7) 6-2
Teona VELEHORSCHI (ROU) [12] d. Devin CHYPYHA (CAN) [2] 6-2 6-3
F:
Teona VELEHORSCHI (ROU) [12] d. Charlotte PETRICK (CAN) [3] 6-1 3-6 6-0

Doubles:
Semis
Iana NIKOLAEVA (CAN) / Evangeline REPIC (CAN) [4] d. Devin CHYPYHA (CAN) / Gloria LIANG (CAN) [1] 6-1 6-2
Emily BRADSHAW (CAN) / Alice GARCIA (BRA) [2] d. Nada MARJANOVIC (CAN) / Aissa MUAMBA (CAN) [3] 7-5 1-6 [10-7]
F:
Iana NIKOLAEVA (CAN)/Evangeline REPIC(CAN) [4] d. Emily BRADSHAW (CAN)/Alice GARCIA (BRA) [2] 6-4 4-6 [10-8]

Open Junior du Conseil General G4:
R1:Lucie WARGNIER (FRA) d. Nicole BUNEA (CAN) 6-2 6-0
Doubles: Julia SOICA (FRA)/Lucie WARGNIER (FRA)d. Nicole BUNEA (CAN)/Dominique MORTIER (BAH) 6-1 6-1

(Bunea is only born in 1999, that gave me a bit of a shock. It seems so young).

And finally, Kimberly-Ann Surin decided to go to the University of Arkansas. Probably a good choice right now.
http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2012/04/12/canuck-news-fancy-frank-the-woz-kim-surin/

Ryan
Apr 14th, 2012, 02:25 AM
Nice stuff for the young Canucks! thanks for the updates, great aw always.

Sportgal1
Apr 18th, 2012, 01:14 AM
After last week's run, Routliffe shot up to #53 in the world! She might even make direct entry for the French, not sure when the cutoff is. Nice to see Abanda back and winning this week too :)

Open d'Istres Ouest Provence G2
R1:
1 Francoise Abanda (CAN) d. Alice Rame (FRA) 6-1 6-2
6 Erin Routliffe (CAN) d. Victoria Muntean (FRA) 6-2 6-3
R2:
1 Francoise Abanda (CAN) d. Antonia Lottner (GER) 6-3 6-3
6 Erin Routliffe (CAN) vs. WC Caroline Romeo (FRA) 6-3 6-1
QF:
8 Marianna Zakarlyuk (UKR) d 1 Francoise Abanda (CAN) 6-2 6-3
Darya Kasatkina (RUS) d. 6 Erin Routliffe (CAN) 7-5 6-2

Doubles:
R1: 1 Routliffe(CAN)/Fanning(NZL) - BYE
QF: 1 Routliffe(CAN)/Fanning(NZL) lt. Muntean(FRA)/Talaba(ROU) walkover (pretty sure it was Fanning who was injured.)

Sportgal1
Apr 29th, 2012, 01:46 AM
17ème Open International Junior de Beaulieu-sur-Mer G1:
Singles:
R1: 4 Erin Routliffe - BYE
R2: 4 Erin Routliffe d. K. Jokic 5-7 6-2 6-0
R3: 4 Erin Routliffe lt. 14 D. Kasatkina 4-6 2-6

Doubles:
R1: 1 Routliffe/Kennel - BYE
R2: 1 Routliffe/Kennel d. Bacquie/Rame 6-3 6-2
QF: 1 Routliffe/Kennel d. 6 Mertens/Van der Hoek 6-4 3-6 [10-2]
SF: 1 Routliffe/Kennel d. 3 Benoit/Zimmerman 7-6(5) 7-6(5)
F: 1 Routliffe Kennel lt. Gariglio/Marchetti 2-6 6-2 10-5

Junior Fed Cup 16s
Canada d. Cuba 3-0
Gloria Liang d. Yenise Machado Cuesta 6-3 6-4
Francoise Abanda d. Yusleidis Smith Diaz 6-1 6-3
Liang/Abanda d. Smith Diaz/Gomez Herrera 6-2 6-0

Canada lt. Mexico 1-2
Gloria Liang lt. Constanza Gorches 1-6 6-7(5)
Francoise Abanda lt. Renata Zarazua 6-7(6) 5-7
Abanda/Prokopiuk d. Bramato/Gorches 6-2 6-2

Canada lt. United States 0-3
Alexis Prokopuik lt. Brooke Austin 3-6 6-4 5-7 (Strange that Liang didn't play; hopefully she's not injured)
Francoise Abanda lt. Taylor Townsend 4-6 4-6
Abanda/Prokopuik lt. Townsend/Andrews 5-7 2-6

Junior Fed Cup 14s
Canada lt. United States 1-2
Vanessa Wong lt. Raquel Pedraza 4-6 4-6
Katarina Kopcalic lt. Nicole Frenkel 6-7(4) 2-6
Kopcalic/Wong d. Frenkel/Pedraza 6-1 6-3

Canada d. Mexico 2-1
Vanessa Wong lt. Itza Trabulse 5-7 6-4 3-6
Katarina Kopcalic d. Andrea Perez Lopez 5-7 6-1 6-2
Kopcalic/Wong d. Perez Lopez/Trabulse 6-2 6-2

Canada d. Puerto Rico 3-0
Katherine Sebov d. Paola Bou 6-3 6-2
Katarina Kopcalic d. Paola Mazu 6-2 6-0
Kopcalic/Wong d. Maza/J. Bou 6-0 6-2

Sportgal1
Aug 25th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Canada lt. United States 0-3
Alexis Prokopuik lt. Brooke Austin 3-6 6-4 5-7 (Strange that Liang didn't play; hopefully she's not injured)
Francoise Abanda lt. Taylor Townsend 4-6 4-6
Abanda/Prokopuik lt. Townsend/Andrews 5-7 2-6

Interesting that Townsend routined Abanda just as recently as April, then Abanda beat her twice in a row just now. It's going to be exciting now that she's recovered from her injury. It looks like Liang was injured, as she just started playing again this week.

So without further delay, the junior lead-up to the US Open!

Events:
USTA International Hard Courts G2 Week of 19th.
Singles Qualifying:
QR1: 2 Alexis Prokopuik (CAN) d. BYE
QR1: 4 Devin Chypyha (CAN) d. BYE
QR2: 2 Alexis Prokopuik (CAN) d. Cecilia Lynham (USA) 6-1 6-2
QR2: 4 Devin Chypyha (CAN) d. Skylar Holloway (USA) 6-2 6-4
QR3: 2 Alexis Prokopuik (CAN) lt. Bianca Moldovan (USA) 3-6 6-4 2-6
QR3: 4 Devin Chypyha lt. Amy Zhu (USA) 2-6 0-6

Singles:
1R: Gloria Liang (CAN) lt. (Q) Amy Zhu 2-6 6-4 3-6
1R: Marika Akkerman (CAN) d. Rima Asatrian (USA) 6-3 6-3
2R: Marika Akkerman (CAN) d. 14 Johnise Renaud (USA) 3-6 7-5 6-2
3R: Marika Akkerman (CAN) lt. 1 Ching-Wen Hsu (TPE)7-5 2-6 5-7

Doubles:
Akkerman lost in the QF. Liang and Prokopuik lost first round. Chypyha didn't play.

Torneo ITF Juniors Copa San Agustin G5 (Mexico) Week of Aug 19th.
Singles:
1R: Juliet Jia wen Zhang (CAN) (is she related to Wendy Qi-Wen Zhang? The last names are slightly different) d. Ana Ramirez Lascurain (MEX) 6-3 6-3
2R: Juliet Jia wen Zhang (CAN) lt. 3 Constanza Gorches 2-6 3-6

Doubles: Lost in the QF.

Canadian Open Junior Championships G1 Week of Aug 26th
Qualifying Round:
Veronika Mikulis (CAN) d. BYE (She was last on the entire entry list. That was lucky!)
2 June Lee (USA) d. Jessica Denemark (CAN)6-2 6-0
3 Ellie Halbauer d. Julia Goldberg (USA) (d. Daniela Vanko (CAN) 6-1 6-0)6-2 6-0
4 Marika Akkerman (CAN) d. 7 Laurence Guevremont (CAN)6-2 6-1
5 Wendy Qi-Wen Zhang (CAN) d. 8 Alexandra Axenova (CAN)6-2 6-1
6 Claudine Maheu (CAN) d. 9 Stephanie Mentsova (USA) 6-1 6-2

Main Draw Entrants:
Carol Zhao
Francoise Abanda
Erin Routliffe
+ Wildcards

US Open Entrants:
Eugenie Bouchard
Francoise Abanda
Carol Zhao
Erin Routliffe

Kimberley Ann-Surin 10 out of qualifying
Marika Akkerman 16 out of qualifyig.

Sportgal1
Aug 25th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Some of the younger juniors were also at World Junior Team Tennis (Katerina Kopcalic, Vanessa Wong, Rosie Johanson)
Group D Round Robin
7 Canada d. Peru 2-1
Johanson lt. Torres 4-6 1-6
Kopcalic d. Vargas 6-0 6-1
Kopcalic/Wong d. Torres/Vargas 6-4 6-2

7 Canada d. Thailand 3-0
Wong d. Bootsarakomvisit 6-0 3-6 6-4
Kopcalic d. Sawangkaew 6-4 6-1
Kopcalic/Johanson d. Pakkaro/Sawangkaew 7-5 2-6 6-1

7 Canada lt. 2 Great Britain 0-3
Wong lt. Plews 0-6 2-6
Kopcalic lt. Taylor 6-4 1-6 1-6
Wong/Johanson lt. Lumsden/Plews 3-6 (3)6-7

5-8 Playoff
7 Canada lt. 6 China P.R. 1-2
Johanson d. Li 6-4 6-0
Kopcalic lt. Cao 2-6 3-6
Wong/Kopcalic lt. Cao/Li 0-6 1-6

7th Place Playoff
7 Canada lt. 1 USA 0-2
Johanson lt. Higuchi 2-6 1-6
Kopcalic lt. Frenkel 0-6 6-3 2-6
Doubles not played.

Sportgal1
Sep 1st, 2012, 04:41 AM
Francoise Abanda vs. Carol Zhao for the G1 final! That's very exciting. Abanda defended a huge chunk of her points and Zhao gained quite a bit, no matter who wins. Zhao is in the final with Routliffe as well. Zhao really should get a thread soon, she's been a top junior for quite a while and had a decent pro ranking. Good job to Marika Akkerman, Charlotte Petrick and Alexis Prokopuik for winning a round at a G1 as well! 1998 born Kopcalic reached the quarters in doubles with 1997 born Leduc as well.

Both Marika Akkerman and Kimberely-Ann Surin participated in US Open junior qualies. Was sorta surprised to see Surin there, seems as though she hasn't played in forever.

11 Tornado Ali Black (USA) d. K-A Surin 6-1 6-2
Marika Akkerman d. (Alt) Lavanya Khanuja 6-0 6-1
FQR: Akkerman vs. Valeria Salazar (MEX)(current rank 257, CHR 197) :bounce: Good luck!.

Does anyone know anything about Akkerman? She plays quite a bit and has a pretty good ranking. I don't think she's really associated with Tennis Canada though. I can't even find her in the national rankings. Seems a bit weird.

Sportgal1
Sep 1st, 2012, 04:55 PM
Akkerman about even with Salazar in the third :) 3-6 7-6(5) 3-2*

Sportgal1
Sep 1st, 2012, 05:25 PM
now 5-5 in the third

Sportgal1
Sep 1st, 2012, 07:00 PM
Akkerman wins 3-6 7-6(5) 7-5! Over three hours, the last set took 81 minutes alone. Now we have five Canadians in the main draw, which is amazing.

Sportgal1
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:39 AM
US Open R1:
Abanda (CAN) d. WC Austin (USA)6-1 6-2
3 Bouchard (CAN) d. Peterson (SWE) 6-1 6-1
Q Akkerman (CAN) lt. McPhillips (USA) 2-6 2-6
Routliffe (CAN) lt. 11 Bencic (SWE) 1-6 0-6
14 Zhao (CAN) vs. WC Kimberley Yee (USA) 6-2 6-2

R2:
Abanda (CAN) lt. 6 Siniakova (CZE) 0-6 6-4 6-1
3 Bouchard lt. Duval (USA) 2-6 6-1 6-4
14 Zhao d. Hsu (TPE) 6-3 2-1 ret.

R3:
Zhao lt. 2 Putintseva 6-7(8) 6-7(3)

Doubles R1:
Akkerman/Rodriguez lt. Kontaveit/Fanning 2-6 2-6
3 Abanda/Vickery d. Gonzalez/Pera 6-4 7-5
Routliffe/Zhao d. Black/Frenkel 6-1 6-0

R2:
3 Abanda Vickery d. Patiuk/Zacarias 7-5 6-2
Routliffe/Zhao d. 5 Siniakova/Mertens 6-4 4-6 11-9

QF:
3 Abanda/Vickery lt. 8 Lottner/Von Deichmann
Routliffe/Zhao lt. 2 Uberalova/Bencic 7-5 6-1

Sportgal1
Sep 10th, 2012, 10:45 PM
This week in juniors:

G2 Canada:
Qualifying Singles:
QR1:
Noelly Longi Nsimba (CAN) d. Stephanie Nemtsova (USA) [6] 6-4 6-4
Michelle Yang (CAN) 6-4 7-6(4) Hannah Shteyn (USA) [7]
Anjana Suresh (CAN) d. Veronika Mikulis(CAN) 6-0 6-1
Ayan Broomfield (CAN) d. Catherine Shulman (CAN) [4] 6-2 6-3
Monet Willis (USA) [5] d. Jessica Denemark (CAN) 6-3 7-6(3)
Round 2
Jessica GOLOVIN (USA) [1] d. Anjana SURESH (CAN) 6-2 6-2
Kaitlyn MCCARTHY (USA) [2] d. Noelly Longi NSIMBA (CAN) 6-0 6-0
Michelle YANG (CAN) d. Mary Catherine HAFFEY (USA) [3] 6-4 6-3
Ayan BROOMFIELD (CAN) d. Monet WILLIS (USA) [5] 6-3 6-4

Main Draw Singles:
R1:
1 Christina Makarova (USA) d. Q Ayan Broomfield (CAN) 6-0 6-3
Marie Norris (USA) d. Alizee Michaud (FRA) 6-4 4-6 6-1
Apichaya Runglerdkriangkrai (THA) d. Emily Bradshaw (CAN) 6-1 6-1
8 Madison Bourguignon (USA)d. WC Laurence Guevremont (CAN) 6-4 6-3

3 Erin Routliffe (CAN) d. Simone Pratt (BAH) 7-5 4-6 6-4
Usue Maitane Arconada (USA) d. Alexis Prokopuik (CAN) 6-4 6-4
Gabriella de Santis (VEN) d. WC Alexandra Axenova (CAN) 6-0 6-0
Gloria Liang (CAN) vs. 6 Ellie Halbauer (USA) 7-5 3-1 ret'd

5 d. Peggy Porter (USA) d. Q Michelle Yang 6-2 6-1
Devin Chypyha (CAN) d. Antonella Bramato (MEX) 6-4 4-6 7-6(6)
WC Marie-Alexandre Leduc (CAN) d. Q Jessica Golovin (USA) 6-4 7-5
Q Kathy McCarthy vs. 4 Domenica Gonzalez (ECU) 7-6(7) 6-4

7 Dasha Ivanova (USA) d. Charlotte Petrick (CAN) 5-7 6-3 6-3
Alexandra Morozova (USA) d. Maja Vujic (CAN) 6-4 6-3
LL Mary Catherine Haffey d. WC Claudine Maheu (CAN) 6-3 6-2
Danielle Spielmann (SUI) vs. 2 Ilka Csoregi (ROU) 6-3 6-3

R2:
1 Makarova (USA) d. Norris 6-4 6-4 (USA)
8 Bourguignon (USA) d. Runglerdkriangkrai 6-1 6-1 (THA)
3 Routliffe (CAN) d. Arconada (USA) 6-2 6-1
Liang (CAN) d. De Santis (VEN) 6-3 3-6 7-5

5 Porter (USA) d. Chypyha (CAN) 6-0 6-2
Q McCarthy (USA) d. WC Leduc (CAN) 6-2 6-1
Morozova (USA) d. 7 Ivanova (USA) 5-7 7-6(1) 6-1
2 Csoregi d. LL Haffey 6-2 6-0

QF:
1 Makarova (USA) lt. 8 Bourguignon (USA) 6-4 4-6 4-6
3 Routliffe (CAN) d. Liang (CAN) 6-3 6-7(5) 6-3
5 Porter (USA) lt. Q McCarthy (USA) 1-6 5-7
Morozova (USA) lt. 2 Csoregi (ROU) 2-6 1-6

SF:
3 Routliffe (CAN) d. 8 Bourguignon (USA) 2-6 6-3 6-1
Q McCarthy (USA) d. 2 Csoregi (ROU) 6-4 6-2

F:
3 Routliffe (CAN) lt. Q McCarthy (USA) 1-6 6-2 2-6

Doubles SF:
3 Routliffe Petrick d. 2 Gonzalez/Morozova 6-4 6-2
F:
3 Routliffe/Petrick lt. 1 Csoregi/Makarova 4-6 6-2 8-10

G5 Honduras:
Main draw R1:
Juliet Jia wen Zhang (CAN) d. Raquel Argenal Matheu (HON) 6-3 6-2
Cassandra Webster (CAN) d. Paola Andrea Hincapie Gaviria (HON) 6-2 6-0

R2:
Juliet Jia wen Zhang (CAN) lt. 1 Jennifer Paola Artiga Henriquez (ESA) 0-6 1-6
Cassandra Webster (CAN) lt. 3 Astrid Lilana Araya Santos (ESA) 0-6 2-6

G2 Serbia:
Qualifying R1:
WC Tanja Gligoric (CAN) d. BYE
Milana Drca (CAN) lt. Aleksandra Reljic (SRB) 0-6 1-6
QR2:
WC Tanja Gligoric (CAN) lt. 6 Nikolina Jovic (SRB)0-6 1-6

And congratulations to Juliet Jia wen Zhang (1998) for making the QF in singles and SF in doubles at a G5 in Honduras last week. She takes over as the top 1998 ranked girl from Kopcalic.

Sportgal1
Sep 17th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Congrats to Routliffe for finals in singles and doubles last week! That's very nice for her, especially after her last stretch in singles. She moves to a career high of 33 this week. Only one tournament comes off her ranking before the end of the year, so she has a chance to higher if she plays the end of year tournaments. Petrick is at a career-high of 255. Liang went up 77 places after her QF to Routliffe. Nice to see her winning again!

Sportgal1
Oct 9th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Pan American ITF Championships GB1:

Singles:

Carol ZHAO (CAN) [1] d. Elizabeth SUTHERLAND (USA) 6-1 6-2
(WC) Kaitlyn MCCARTHY (USA) d. (Q) Megen COCHRAN(USA) 7-5 6-1
Caroline TURNER (USA) d. Breana STAMPFLI (TRI) 6-3 6-0
Camila FUENTES (USA) [14] d. Sydney Arnea RILEY (USA) 7-5 6-1

Rasheeda MCADOO (USA) [9] d. Mariana GOULD (USA) 2-6 6-4 6-3
Lauren PROCTOR (USA) d. Jessica HINOJOSA GOMEZ (MEX) 7-6(4) 6-4
(Q) Olivia SNEED (USA) d. Alexis PROKOPUIK (CAN) 7-6(4) 4-6 6-1
Tornado Alicia BLACK (USA) [7] d. Olivia Hauger HAUGER (USA) 6-4 6-3

Christina MAKAROVA (USA) [3] d. (Q) Karina TRAXLER (USA) 6-1 6-2
Camila WESBROOKS (USA) d. Maria Jose COLORADO ZAVALA (MEX) 6-1 6-1
Alexandra MOROZOVA (USA) d. (WC) Mary Catherine HAFFEY (USA) 6-1 6-2
Marika AKKERMAN (CAN) [16] d. (WC) Mary CLOSS (USA) 2-6 7-6(4) 6-0

Ellie HALBAUER (USA) [12] d. Charlotte PETRICK (CAN) 6-4 3-6 6-4
Marie NORRIS (USA) d. (WC) Madison WESTBY (USA) 7-5 6-3
Louisa CHIRICO (USA) d. Yolimar OGANDO (PUR) 6-3 6-3
Usue Maitane ARCONADA (USA) d. Caroline DOYLE (USA) [8] 4-6 6-1 6-4

Jennifer BRADY (USA) [5] d. (Q) Gabrielle SMITH (USA) 3-6 6-2 6-4
Nadia ECHEVERRIA ALAM (USA) d. Devin CHYPYHA (CAN) 6-2 6-1
(WC) Mia HORVIT (USA) d. Jessica CORTES (MEX) 6-2 7-5
Denise STARR (USA) [10] d. Ndindi NDUNDA (USA) 6-3 7-5

Cassandra VAZQUEZ (MEX) d. Johnnise RENAUD (USA) [13] 6-4 3-6 6-3
Jessica HO (USA) d. (Q) Katelyn JACKSON (USA) 6-3 6-3
Rianna VALDES (USA) d. (Q) Ellie Rogers ZOGG (USA) 6-2 6-2
Maria SHISHKINA (USA) d. Erin ROUTLIFFE (CAN) [4] 7-5 6-2

Jamie LOEB (USA) [6] d. (Q) Maia A. MAGILL (USA) 6-2 6-1
Gloria LIANG (CAN) d. Katarina GUARINO (USA) 7-6(4) 6-4
Maddie POTHOFF (USA) d. Tyler SMITH (BER) 6-3 6-1
Alexandra MILLER-KRASILNIKOV (USA) d. Madison BOURGUIGNON (USA) [11] 6-4 6-3

Dasha IVANOVA (USA) [15] d. (Q) Caroline HENDERSON (USA) 6-1 7-5
Erin FAULKNER (USA) d. Ana RAMIREZ LASCURAIN (MEX) 6-3 6-2
(WC)Nicole FRENKEL (USA) d. Peggy PORTER (USA) 5-2 Retired
Francoise ABANDA (CAN) [2] d. Mia KING (USA) 6-3 6-1

Michelle Yang lost 2nd round qualies.

Sportgal1
Oct 10th, 2012, 10:51 PM
R2:

Carol ZHAO (CAN) [1] d. (WC) Kaitlyn MCCARTHY (USA) 6-0 6-2
Camila FUENTES (USA) [14] d. Caroline TURNER (USA) 3-6 6-1 6-3
Rasheeda MCADOO (USA) [9] d. Lauren PROCTOR (USA) 6-4 6-2
Tornado Alicia BLACK (USA) [7] d. (Q) Olivia SNEED (USA) 6-1 6-5

Christina MAKAROVA (USA) [3] d. Camila WESBROOKS (USA) 6-2 6-1
Alexandra MOROZOVA (USA)d. Marika AKKERMAN (CAN) [16] 2-6 6-2 6-3
Ellie HALBAUER (USA) [12] d. Marie NORRIS (USA) 2-6 6-1 6-2
Louisa CHIRICO (USA) d. Usue Maitane ARCONADA (USA) 6-3 3-6 6-2

Jennifer BRADY (USA) [5] d. Nadia ECHEVERRIA ALAM (USA) 6-2 6-2
Denise STARR (USA) [10] d. (WC) Mia HORVIT (USA) 3-6 6-4 6-2
Jessica HO (USA)d. Cassandra VAZQUEZ (MEX) 6-1 6-4
Maria SHISHKINA (USA) d. Rianna VALDES (USA) 6-2 6-2

Jamie LOEB (USA) [6] d. Gloria LIANG (CAN) 6-0 6-1
Maddie POTHOFF (USA) d. Alexandra MILLER-KRASILNIKOV (USA) 6-1 6-0
Dasha IVANOVA (USA) [15] d. Erin FAULKNER (USA)6-1 6-0
Francoise ABANDA (CAN) [2] d. (WC)Nicole FRENKEL (USA) ret'd

R3:
Carol ZHAO (CAN) [1] d.Camila FUENTES (USA) [14] 6-0 4-6 6-1
Rasheeda MCADOO (USA) [9] d. Tornado Alicia BLACK (USA) [7] 5-3 ret'd

Christina MAKAROVA (USA) [3] d. Alexandra MOROZOVA (USA) 6-2 6-0
Louisa CHIRICO d. (USA)Ellie HALBAUER (USA) [12] 6-4 7-5

Jennifer BRADY (USA) [5] d. Denise STARR (USA) [10] 6-1 6-1
Maria SHISHKINA (USA) d. Jessica HO (USA) 6-4 6-1

Jamie LOEB (USA) [6] d. Maddie POTHOFF (USA) 7-5 6-1
Francoise ABANDA (CAN) [2] d. IVANOVA (USA) [15] 6-4 6-0

QF:
Carol ZHAO (CAN) [1] d. Rasheeda MCADOO (USA) [9] 6-1, 4-6, 7-5
Christina MAKAROVA (USA) [3] d. Louisa CHIRICO 6-3 6-4
Maria SHISHKINA (USA) d. Jennifer BRADY (USA) [5] 7-5, 7-6(3)
Francoise ABANDA (CAN) [2] d. Jamie Loeb 6 6-3, 3-6, 6-2

SF:
Carol ZHAO (CAN) [1] d. Christina MAKAROVA (USA) [3] 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
Francoise ABANDA (CAN) [2] d. Maria SHISHKINA (USA) w/o.

F:
Francoise ABANDA (CAN) [2] d. Carol ZHAO (CAN) [1] 7-6(5) 4-6 7-5

Sportgal1
Oct 18th, 2012, 03:42 AM
There's a G5 going on in Canada too, some interesting younger players there. Vanessa Wong ('99) made it to FQR. Sebov and Kopcalic are also playing. Interesting to see how they do here.

Carol Zhao, Erin Routliffe and Wendy Qi-Wen Zhang playing at 25k rock hill this week:

Q1:
16 Routliffe (CAN) d. Lane (USA) 6-0 6-1
Zhang (CAN) d. 6Gabueva (RUS) 61 75
Zhao (CAN) d. Lashway (USA) 61 62
Q2:
16 Routliffe (CAN) d. Thomas (USA) 64 64
Zhao (CAN) d. 8 Lukic (SRB) 75 60
Zhang (CAN) lt. Cako (USA) 1-6 1-6
QFR:
Routliffe (CAN) d. Morgina (RUS) 60 75
Zhao (CAN) d. 11 Gullickson (USA) 63 61

R1:
Q Routliffe (CAN) lt. 6 Scholl (USA) 2-6 0-6
Q Zhao (CAN) d. WC Avants (USA) 6-3 6-0
R2:
Q Zhao lt. 6 Scholl 4-6 4-6

Sportgal1
Nov 14th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Okay, it's time for the junior fall swing! :bounce: Let's see how we do.

Week of Nov 19:
Yucatan G1
MD: Abanda

Week of Nov 26:
Eddie Herr G1
MD: Abanda, Routliffe, Zhao
QD: Akkerman
Alt: Chypyha (10), Miller (18)

Bahamas G5
MD: Nicole Bunea
QD: Ormond, Kool, Mirceta

Week of Dec 3:
Orange Bowl GA
MD: Abanda, Zhao, Routliffe
QD: Akkerman
Alt: Chypyha (34)

Petrick pulled out of all three big events, which is too bad. She would've made the main draw in the first and the qualy in the other two. Hopefully she's not injured. Surprised not to see Liang or Prokopuik on any of the entry lists either.

And just for fun, points to defend until the end of the year:
Abanda 0
Zhao 80 singles + 80 doubles = 100
Routliffe 0
Akkerman 0
Chypyha 0

Good luck to all the juniors in the next few weeks!

*edit* Just found Petrick, Liang, Prokopuik on the entry list for Orange Bowl and Eddie Herr 16s, so I guess they'll play there. There's a few other canucks in the q and main draws there too.

Tampering
Nov 23rd, 2012, 08:21 PM
We should congratulate Carol Zhao on accepting a scholarship offer at Stanford next year.

A great school for both athletes and serious academics alike.

Sportgal1
Dec 8th, 2012, 06:22 AM
We should congratulate Carol Zhao on accepting a scholarship offer at Stanford next year.

A great school for both athletes and serious academics alike.

Definitely, will be interesting to see where she plays in the line-up! She just took Townsend to almost four hours at Orange Bowl, tough loss but incredible effort.

Good luck to Gloria Liang in the 16s singles final at Orange Bowl tomorrow!

Sportgal1
Jan 12th, 2013, 06:47 PM
AGL Loy Yang Traralgon International (G1)
R1:
4 Zhao (CAN) d. Le Roux (RSA) 6-1 7-6(1)
10 Routlifee (CAN) d. Hives (AUS) 1-6 6-4 6-1
R2:
4 Zhao (CAN) d. Q Hourigan (NZL) 6-1 6-1
10 Routlifee (CAN) d. Ip (HKG) 6-4 6-2
R3:
13 Kulichkova (RUS) d. 4 Zhao (CAN) 6-2 2-6 6-1
10 Routliffe d. 6 Elise Mertens (BEL) 6-4 7-6(5)
QF:
10 Routliffe (CAN) vs. 16 Ostapenko (LAT) 7-6(5) 7-6(3)
SF:
10 Routliffe (CAN) lt. 5 Danilina 2-6 3-6

Doubles:
R1:
1 Lottner/Routliffe (GER/CAN) d. WC Andrinopoulos/Stojic (AUS/AUS) 6-0 6-4
4 Zhao/Peterson (CAN/SWE) vs. Bains/Wagland (AUS/AUS) 4-6 6-1 10-7
R2:
1 Lottner/Routliffe (GER/CAN) d. Haddad Maia/Pairone (BRA/ITA) 6-4 6-2
4 Zhao/Peterson (CAN/SWE) d. WC Svinos/Valos 6-3 6-3
QF:
1 Lottner/Routliffe (GER/CAN) d. Lekaj/Sutjiadi (CRO/INA) 6-4 7-6(5)
4 Zhao/Peterson (CAN/SWE) lt. 6 Merten/Soylu (BEL/TUR) 4-6 6-4 10-12
SF:
1 Lottner/Routliffe (GER/CAN) lt. 7 Hsu/Xu (TPE/CHN) 4-6 5-7

Does anyone know when they announce the new NTC kids?

Sportgal1
Jan 18th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Austalian Open GA
Singles
R1:
14 Erin Routliffe (CAN) vs. Ivana Jorovic (SRB)
6 Carol Zhao (CAN) vs. Brooke Rischbieth (AUS)

In other news, Marika Akkerman has made the quarterfinals of G1 Copa Barranquilla in Columbia. She's also in the doubles quarters. I believe this should put her into the top 100!
R1: 12 Akkerman (CAN) - BYE
R2: 12 Akkerman (CAN) d. Gomide (BRA) 6-1 6-2
R3: 12 Akkerman (CAN) d. WC Novak (COL) 6-3 6-1
QF: 12 Akkerman (CAN) vs. 16 Valdes (USA)

And some younger juniors at the AEGON Junior International Teen Tennis Bolton, TE14:
R1:
Katherine Sebov (CAN) d. WC Maloney (GBR) 6-3 6-7(4) 6-4
14Vanessa Wong (CAN) - BYE
R2:
Sebov (CAN) d. 9 Bouzo Zanotti 6-0 6-3
14 Wong (CAN) d. WC Appleton (GBR) 6-2 6-3
R3:
Sebov (CAN) lt. Aiava (AUS) 3-6 0-6
14 Wong (CAN) d. 4 Axon (GBR) 6-0 4-6 6-2
QF:
14 Wong (CAN) lt. 5 Bellis (USA) 4-6 2-6

Both are playing in Les Petit As next week.

Sportgal1
Jan 20th, 2013, 04:05 AM
R1: Zhao (CAN) d. Rischbieth (AUS) 4-6 7-5 6-4
Routliffe (CAN) lt. Jorovic (SRB) 6-7(3) 3-6

Rough start for the Canadians. Very sad for Routliffe, especially after the great week she had last week. She's so streaky.

Akkerman lost in the semis of the G1, but should go up to about 80, so we'll have four canadians in the top 100 again!

Sportgal1
Jan 25th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Zhao just won Australian Open junior doubles with Konjuh! 5-7 6-4 [10-7] vs. 6Oleksandra Korashvili (UKR)/Barbora Krejcikova (CZE):bounce::hearts:

Sportgal1
Feb 3rd, 2013, 08:27 PM
Gloria Liang and Alexis Prokopuik have been playing G2's in South America! Prokopuik lost R32 and R16, but nice to see her win three matches in a G2. Definitely nice to see Liang back and playing well, she lost R32 and QF this week to the #2 seed in three sets. Liang and Prokopuik also made the semifinals in doubles this week!

Congrats to Akkerman, CHR of 80 last week. Would be interesting to see her try some pro events; she hasn't played any at all, which I found a bit shocking. Anyway, she should be able to play qualies at RG and Wimby, I think!

Sportgal1
Feb 6th, 2013, 02:17 AM
Inka Bowl G2
R1:
8 Gloria Liang (CAN) - BYE
15 Alexis Prokopuik (CAN)- BYE
R2:
8 Liang (CAN) d. Vives (CHI)6-1 6-2
15 Prokopuik (CAN) d. 3-6 6-4 6-1
R3:
8 Liang (CAN) d. 9 Zabirova (RUS) 6-2 6-3
15 Prokopuik (CAN) lt. 2 Ivanova (USA) 5-7 6-4 1-6
QF:
8 Liang (CAN) d. 1/wc Gonzalez (ECU)2-6 6-2 7-5
SF:
8 Liang (CAN) d. 4 Madison Bourguignon (USA) 6-3 6-4
F:
8 Liang (CAN) d. 3 Carolina Meligeni Rodrigues Alves (BRA) 6-4 6-1

International Junior Open Club Casablanca G4
R1:
Jena Chang (CAN) d. 15 Ramirez Lascurain (MEX) 6-2 7-6(5)
12 Allessandra Miller (CAN) d. LL Villela (MEX) 6-2 6-4
Charlotte Robillard-Millette (CAN) d. Sandoval (MEX) 6-0 6-0
7 Marie-Alexandre Leduc (CAN) d. Sanchez Martin (MEX) 6-0 6-0
R2:
Chang (CAN) lt. Pedraza (USA) 0-6 6-3 1-6
Robillard-Millette (CAN) lt. Q Vyrlan (USA) 6-0 6-4
12 Miller (CAN) d. Robinson (USA) 6-4 7-6(4)
7 Leduc (CAN) d. Q Critser (USA) 6-3 6-2
R3:
12 Miller (CAN) d. 8 Wicker (USA) 6-4 6-3
7 Leduc (CAN) d. 9 Ruiz (BOL) 5-7 6-4 6-2
QF:
12 Miller (CAN) lt. 4 Hauger (USA) 1-6 4-6
7 Leduc (CAN) d. Q Berg (USA) 5-7 7-6(6) 6-1
SF:
7 Leduc (CAN) lt. Gordon (USA) 1-6 7-6(4) 3-6

Sportgal1
Feb 9th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Congrats on winning Inka Bowl Gloria! She was also runner-up in doubles. I believe this should take her to just outside the top 100. Will we have five Canadian juniors in the top 100 soon?

Sportgal1
Feb 10th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Jalisco Junior Cup G4 (Mexico)
QR1:
6 Victoria Dimuzio (CAN) d. Gonzalez Aramburu (MEX) 6-1 6-4
2 Jena Chang (CAN) - BYE
Charlotte Robillard-Millette (CAN) d. WC Talamantes Morales 6-1 6-0
Tina Kreinis (CAN) d. Cejudo (MEX) 6-1 6-3
4 Katarina Kopcalic (CAN) - BYE
Rosie Johanson (CAN) d. Alvarez (MEX) 6-1 6-0
QR2:
6 Victoria Dimuzio (CAN) d. Navarro (MEX) 6-3 6-1
2 Jena Chang (CAN) d. Sandoval (MEX) 6-0 6-0
Charlotte Robillard-Millette (CAN) d. Madahuar (MEX) 6-4 6-1
Tina Kreinis (CAN) d. 3 Colorado Zavala (MEX) 6-1 6-1
4 Katarina Kopcalic (CAN) d. Pani (MEX) 3-6 6-0 6-3
Rosie Johanson (CAN) d. Rivas (MEX) 6-3 7-6(3)
FQR:
6 Victoria Dimuzio (CAN) d. Kelly (USA) 7-5 4-6 6-1
2 Jena Chang (CAN) d. Charlotte Robillard-Millette (CAN) 6-4 3-6 7-5
7 Uzcategui (VEN) d. Tina Kreinis (CAN) 2-6 6-2 6-2
Rosie Johanson (CAN) d. 4 Katarina Kopcalic (CAN) 7-5 7-5

R1:
Q Rosie Johanson (CAN) d. Perez Lopez (MEX) 4-6 7-6(5) 6-1
Q Victoria Dimuzio (CAN) lt. 3 Hinojosa Gomez (MEX) 6-7(3) 2-6
5 Marie-Alexandre Leduc (CAN) d. Q Uzcategui (VEN) 6-3 6-4
Allessandra Miller (CAN) d. Raygadas Dominquez (MEX) 2-6 6-3 6-2
LL Katarina Kopcalic (CAN) d. Monarrez Yesaki (MEX) 6-2 6-3
Q Jena Chang (CAN) d. Ramirez Lascurain (MEX) 6-1 6-2
R2:
Q Rosie Johanson (CAN) d. WC Macia Mendoza (MEX) 6-1 7-6(5)
5 Marie-Alexandre Leduc (CAN) d. Navarro Oliva (MEX) 6-2 6-1
Allessandra Miller (CAN) lt. 6 Wicker (USA) 4-6 3-6
LL Katarina Kopcalic (CAN) lt. 4 Graci (USA) 5-7 1-6
Q Jena Chang (CAN) vs. Riley (USA) 6-7(1) 4-6
QF:
Q Rosie Johanson (CAN) d. 1 Bramato (MEX) 6-2 7-5
5 Marie-Alexandre Leduc (CAN) d. 3 Hinojosa Gomez 6-2 4-6 6-0
SF:
5 Marie-Alexandre Leduc (CAN) d. Q Rosie Johanson (CAN) 6-2 7-6(4)
F:
5 Marie-Alexandre Leduc (CAN) d. Riley (USA) 6-1 6-2

Sportgal1
Feb 13th, 2013, 05:57 PM
NTC Players 2012-2013:
Francoise Abanda (QC) – Fourth Year
Eugenie Bouchard (QC) – Fifth Year
Gloria Liang (ON) – Second Year
Alexis Prokopuik (ON) – First Year
Erin Routliffe (ON) – Second Year
Carol Zhao (ON) – Third Year

Hugo Di Feo (QC) – Third Year
Filip Peliwo (BC) – Fourth Year
Brayden Schnur (ON) – Second Year

Why is Bouchard still there? and really surprised not to see Petrick.

Sportgal1
Feb 17th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Congratulations Leduc for winnig Jalisco G4 in Mexico this past week! That's titles two weeks in a row for Canada, can we make it three?

Argentina Cup G2
R1: 7 Marika Akkerman (CAN)- BYE
R2: 7 Marika Akkerman (CAN) d. Camila Vargas Gomez (PER) 60 63
R3: 7 Marika Akkerman (CAN) d. 11 Lana Rush (GBR) 6-3 6-2
QF: 7 Marika Akkerman (CAN) lt. WC Nadia Podoroska (ARG) 6-3 2-6 4-6

Copa Gatorade Internacional ITF Junior G4 (El Salvador)
QR1:
WC Tina Kreinis (CAN) d. Daniela Solares (GUA) 6-1 6-2
2 Katarina Kopcalic (CAN)- BYE
3 Victoria Dimuzio (CAN) - BYE
WC Rosie Johanson (CAN) d. Maria Gabriela Rivas (ESA)6-0 6-1
QR2:
WC Tina Kreinis (CAN) d. 1 Ledis Estefania Molina Ortega (ESA) 6-3 6-1
2 Katarina Kopcalic (CAN) d. Rebeca Reyes (GUA) 6-0 6-3
3 Victoria Dimuzio (CAN) d. WC Vanessa Sanoja 6-1 6-2
WC Rosie Johanson (CAN) d. 5 Ialita Devarakonda (IND) 6-3 6-2
QFR:
WC Tina Kreinis (CAN) d. Alexia Coutino Castillo 6-2 6-1
2 Katarina Kopcalic (CAN) d. Alexia Maria Maegli Aguero (GUA) 6-1 6-0
3 Victoria Dimuzio (CAN) d. Ana Paula Coquis (MEX) 6-0 6-0
WC Rosie Johanson (CAN) lt. 4 Elena Muller (USA) 4-6 4-6

R1:
Q Katarina Kopcalic (CAN) d. Meghan Kelley (USA) 3-6 7-5 6-4
Q Tina Kreinis (CAN) d. Grace Hruska (USA) 6-3 6-4
Q Victoria Dimuzio (CAN) lt. 7 Camila Wesbrooks (USA) 1-6 3-6
R2:
Q Katarina Kopcalic (CAN) lt. 1 Marie Bouzkova (CZE) 1-6 3-6
Q Tina Kreinis (CAN) lt. 3 Rafaela Gomez (ECU) 1-6 4-6

Sportgal1
Feb 24th, 2013, 11:43 PM
Copa Milo G2 (Chile)
R1: 6 Marika Akkerman (CAN) - BYE
R2: 6 Marika Akkerman (CAN) d. Q Maria Jose Zehnder (ARG) 6-3 6-1
R3: 6 Marika Akkerman (CAN) lt. 11 Alice Matteuci (ITA)5-7 2-6

Copa Universidad Galileo G4 (Guatemala)
QR1:
Tina Kreinis (CAN) d. WC Mishelle Cordero Lopez (GUA) 6-3 6-0
Victoria Dimuzio (CAN) d. Daniela Solares (GUA) 6-1 6-1
2 Katarina Kopcalic (CAN) - BYE
5 Arisha Ladhani (CAN) - BYE
4 Rosie Johanson (CAN) - BYE
QR2:
Tina Kreinis (CAN) d. 1 Daniela Raygadas Dominguez (MEX) 6-0 6-2
Victoria Dimuzio (CAN) d. 6 Kezia Koroma (TRI) 6-1 6-1
2 Katarina Kopcalic (CAN) d. Kelly Berduo (GUA) 6-1 6-0
5 Arisha Ladhani (CAN) d. Vanessa Sanoja (VEN) 6-1 6-1
4 Rosie Johanson (CAN) d. Aandrita Deb (IND) 6-4 6-2
QFR:
Victoria Dimuzio (CAN) d. Tina Kreinis (CAN) 6-4 6-2 (too bad, two lucky losers but Kreinis didn't get one :( Carrera ret'd final qualifying round and still gets to play the main draw.)
2 Katarina Kopcalic (CAN) d. WC Claudia Carrera (CUB) 7-5 2-0 ret'd
5 Arisha Ladhani (CAN) d. Elena Muller (USA) 0-6 6-4 6-2
4 Rosie Johanson (CAN) d. Alexia Coutino Castillo (MEX) 6-4 6-2

R1:
Q Arisha Ladhani (CAN) d. LL WC Claudia Carrera (CUB) 6-1 7-6(5)
Q Katarina Kopcalic (CAN) vs. 4 Elysse Graci (USA) 6-7(4) 2-6
Q Victoria Dimuzio (CAN) vs. Andrea Tomassone (VEN) * Dimuzio withdrew and Kreinis still didn't get the LL spot :hysteric:
Q Rosie Johanson (CAN) d. 2 Maddie Pothoff (USA) 4-6 7-5 6-1
R2:
Q Arisha Ladhani (CAN) lt. 1 Rafaella Baquerizo (ECU) 1-6 1-6
Q Rosie Johanson (CAN) d. Daniela Ruiz (BOL) 7-6(9) 6-3
QF:
Q Rosie Johanson (CAN) d. Camila Wesbrooks (USA) 7-6(2) 6-4
SF:
Q Rosie Johanson (CAN) d. Maria Fernanda Navarro Oliva (MEX) 6-2 6-3
F:
Q Rosie Johanson (CAN) d. Meghan Kelly (USA) 7-5 6-3

Sportgal1
Mar 3rd, 2013, 03:25 AM
33rd Asuncion Bowl G1
R1: 10 Marika Akkerman (CAN) - BYE
R2: 10 Marika Akkerman (CAN) lt. Anna Brogan (GBR) 0-6 6-4 6-7(3)

Panama Bowl G4
QR1: 2 Arisha Ladhani (CAN) - BYE
QR2: 2 Arisha Ladhani (CAN) d. Mishelle Cordero Lopez (GUA) 6-4 6-2

R1: Q Arisha Ladhani (CAN) d. WC Victoria Sherry (PAN) 6-0 6-0
R2: Q Arisha Ladhani (CAN) d. 8 Ariana Rahmanparast 6-0 6-1
QF: Q Arisha Ladhani (CAN) lt. 2 Rafaella Baquierzo (ECU) 2-6 5-7

Sportgal1
Mar 8th, 2013, 12:42 AM
Nice article about Liang on the Tennis Canada site http://www.tenniscanada.com/index.php?title=Liang-Stepping-Up-Her-Game&pid=4416

Sportgal1
Mar 9th, 2013, 08:16 PM
43rd Banana Bowl G1 (Brazil)
R1: 16 Marika Akkerman (CAN) - BYE
R2: 16 Marika Akkerman (CAN) d. (Q)Francesa Gariglio (ITA) 4-6 7-6(2) 6-0
R3: 16 Marika Akkerman (CAN) d. 4 Victoria Rodriguez 1-6 6-2 6-1
QF: 16 Marika Akkerman (CAN) lt. 16E Louisa Chirico (USA) 6-7(5) 2-6

Nan Ying Cup International Junior Championships 2013 G3 (Taiwan)
QR1: Sherri Holley (CAN) d. Chi-Chun Sung (TPE) 6-4 6-3 (everyone else got a first round bye haha, what luck)
QR2: Sherri Holley (CAN) d. WC Lin Yun Ying (TPE) 5-7 6-1 6-0
QR3: Sherri Holley (CAN) lt WC Zongzhen Li (TPE) 3-6 4-6

Trey
Mar 18th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Anyupdate on when Victoria Dimuzio coming back

Sportgal1
Mar 20th, 2013, 04:44 AM
Anyupdate on when Victoria Dimuzio coming back

No idea :shrug:

GA 30th Copa Gerdau (Brazil)
R1: 16 Marika Akkerman (CAN) d. Louisa Rosa (BRA) 6-2 6-3
R2: 16 Marika Akkerman (CAN) d. Paula Andrea Perez-Columbia (COL) 6-2 6-3
R3: 16 Marika Akkerman (CAN) vs. 4 Victoria Rodriguez (MEX)

Trey
Mar 20th, 2013, 04:17 PM
okay thanks If U find out where she maybe playing next can u post it please

Sportgal1
Mar 26th, 2013, 11:56 PM
okay thanks If U find out where she maybe playing next can u post it please

Sure. I'm actually surprised she's not on the list for the G5 coming up in Canada.

38th City of Florence G2

Qualifying
QR1: 8 Alexis Prokopuik (CAN) d. Silvia Mocciola (ITA) 7-5 6-3
QR2: 8 Alexis Prokopuik (CAN) lt. Tea Jandric (CRO) 6-7(6) 3-6

Main Draw
R1: Gloria Liang (CAN) d. Bianka Bekefi (HUN) 6-2 7-6(3)
R2: Gloria Liang (CAN) lt. 1 Alice Matteucci (ITA) 4-6 6-4 2-6

USTA ITF Claremont G4

Qualifying
QR1:
Ivana Erdevicki (CAN) lt. Parris Todd 6-4 2-6 1-6
Nastassia Paliivets (CAN) lt. Aliya Alenikov 1-6 2-6

Main Draw
R1:
13 Jena Chang (CAN) lt. Rachel Chong (USA) 5-7 4-6
10 Devin Chypyha (CAN) d. Ceijenia Cornelius (USA) 6-1 6-2
R2:
10 Devin Chypyha (CAN) lt. WC Monica Robinson (USA) 1-6 1-6

27th International Pascuas Bowl G5 Paraguay
R1: 9 Anjana Suresh (CAN) - BYE
R2: 9 Anjana Suresh (CAN) d. Alt Florencia Garcia Vazquez (ARG) 6-1 6-3
R3: 9 Anjana Suresh (CAN) lt. Cindy Oest (PAR) 3-6 2-6

Sportgal1
Apr 2nd, 2013, 07:06 PM
Barbados G4
R1: Nicole Bunea (CAN) lt. 2 Mira Ruder-Hook 0-6 0-6

USTA International Spring Championships G1
QR1:
2 Devin Chypyha (CAN) - BYE
Dominique Beauvais (CAN) lt. Amber Park (USA) 0-6 0-6
QR2: 2 Devin Chypyha (CAN) d. Alison Ho (USA) 6-2 6-2
QR3: 2 Devin Chypyha (CAN) lt. Hadley Berg (USA) 4-6 3-6

R1: LL Devin Chypyha (CAN) LT. Nicole Frenkel (USA) 2-6 2-6

VII ITF Junior Benicarlo G3 Spain
R1:
Alexis Prokopuik (CAN) d. WC Maria Toran Ribes (ESP) 7-6(5) 6-3
7 Gloria Liang (CAN) lt. Q Alba Carrillo Marin (ESP) 3-6 2-6
R2:
Alexis Prokopuik (CAN) lt. Nina Holanova (CZE) 2-6 6-4 4-6

Sportgal1
Apr 7th, 2013, 12:03 AM
So many tournaments this week, which also means lots of Canadians in action. A lot of the younger girls at the Canadian G5, it'll be interesting to see what happens there.

Costa Rica Bowl G3
R1: Devin Chypyha (CAN) lt. Sofia Wicker (MEX) 7-6(2) 5-7 5-7

Copa Sultana-Mayaguez ITF G5 Puerto Rico
R1: Nicole Bunea (CAN) lt. Maria Sofia Martinez-Santori (PUR) 2-6 2-6

Open Junior du Conseil General G4 Guadeloupe
R1: 6 Anjana Suresh (CAN) - BYE
R2: 6 Anjana Suresh (CAN) d. Marine Meraut (FRA) 6-2 6-0
QF: 6 Anjana Suresh (CAN) lt. 2 Jenna Friedel (USA) 1-6 4-6

Easter Bowl Closed G1
R1: 2 Marika Akkerman (CAN) d. Madison Westby (USA) 6-3 6-3
R2: 2 Marika Akkerman (CAN) d. Alexandra Letzt (USA) 7-6(5)
R3: 2 Marika Akkerman (CAN) d. Nicole Frenkel (USA) 7-6(8) 6-4
QF: 2 Marika Akkerman (CAN) t. 6 Tornado Alicia Black (USA) 4-6 6-3 4-6

Trofeo Juan Carlos Ferrerro G1 Spain
R1:
Marie-Alexandre Leduc (CAN) lt. Simona Heinova (CZE) 4-6 6-3 6-7(4)
Alexis Prokopuik (CAN) lt. WC Paula Badosa (ESP)

31st All Canadian Junior Championships G5
QFR: Olivia Headford (CAN) lt. Carolina Lewis (NZL) 0-6 2-6

Main Draw
R1:
1 Allessandra Miller (CAN) - BYE
Olivia Peisachovitz (CAN) lt. Q Sabrina Faybyshev (USA) 2-6 0-1 ret'd
Bianca Zuzu (CAN) lt. Q Carolina Lewis (NZL) 4-6 6-0 2-6
BYE - 14/WC Victoria Dimuzio (CAN)

9 Dominique Vasile (USA) - BYE
Tiara Higuichi (CAN) d. WC Sofia Sheilla Borcuti (CAN) 6-4 6-3
WC Nicole Iourkevitch(CAN) d. Kylie Waschuk(CAN) 6-4 0-6 6-2
BYE - 7 Teona Velehorschi (CAN)

4 Arisha Ladhani(CAN) - BYE
WC Maria Patrascu (CAN) lt. Katelyn Jackson (USA) 5-7 6-2 2-6
Diana Mirceta (CAN) lt. Cassie Chung (CAN) 2-6 1-6
BYE - 13/WC Natasha Irani (CAN)

11 Maria Regina Espindola Mancera (MEX) - BYE
Claudia Poluga (CAN) d. Olivia Headford (CAN) (LL) 6-2 6-0
Q Szvetlana Pacaj (HUN) d. Priscilla Mae Bulandres (CAN) 6-1 6-2
BYE - 8 Daniella Silva (CAN)

6 Claudine Maheu (CAN) - BYE
Layne van Buskirk (CAN) lt. Q Jade Lewis (NZL) 0-6 1-6
Heather Borsos (CAN) lt. Ines de Mesure(BEL) 4-6 6-2 4-6
BYE - 12/WC Tina Kreinis (CAN)

16 Jade Hilton (CAN) - BYE
Toni Ormond (CAN) d. Ines Milosevic(CAN) 6-4 4-6 7-6(6)
Sandra Enache (CAN) lt. Q Bridget Forster (USA) 2-6 0-6
BYE - 3 Rosie Johanson (CAN)

5 Katarina Kopcalic (CAN) - BYE
Demi Henschel (CAN) d. Sofija Zecevic (CAN) 6-0 6-0
Anna Philp (CAN) d. Marija Vera Stankovic (SRB) (LL) 6-2 6-2
BYE - 10 Iryna Kostirko (CAN)

15 Gracia Mboko (CAN) - BYE
Sandra Chindalo (CAN) lt. Tanja Gligoric (CAN) 1-6 1-6
Q Shayna Spooner (USA) d. Leshia Gadacz (CAN) 4-6 6-3 7-5
BYE - 2 Ana Luisa Perez Lopez (MEX)

R2:
1 Allessandra Miller (CAN) lt. Q Sabrina Faybyshev (USA) 4-6 3-6
Q Carolina Lewis (NZL) lt. 14/WC Victoria Dimuzio (CAN) 0-6 3-6
9 Dominique Vasile (USA) d. Tiara Higuichi (CAN) 6-3 6-4
WC Nicole Iourkevitch(CAN) lt. 7 Teona Velehorschi (CAN) 0-6 3-6

4 Arisha Ladhani(CAN) d. Katelyn Jackson (USA) 2-6 6-1 6-4
Cassie Chung (CAN) lt. 13/WC Natasha Irani (CAN) 1-6 6-3 0-6
11 Maria Regina Espindola Mancera (MEX) d. Claudia Poluga (CAN) 6-2 6-1
Q Szvetlana Pacaj (HUN) lt. 8 Daniella Silva (CAN) 2-6 0-6

6 Claudine Maheu (CAN) lt. Q Jade Lewis (NZL) 1-6 6-3 2-6
Ines de Mesure(BEL) lt. 12/WC Tina Kreinis (CAN) 1-6 0-6
16 Jade Hilton (CAN) d. Toni Ormond (CAN) 6-1 6-2
Q Bridget Forster (USA) lt. 3 Rosie Johanson (CAN) 2-6 3-6

5 Katarina Kopcalic (CAN) d. Demi Henschel (CAN) 6-3 6-3
Anna Philp (CAN) lt. 10 Iryna Kostirko (CAN) 2-6 2-6
15 Gracia Mboko (CAN) d. Tanja Gligoric (CAN) 6-1 6-1
Q Shayna Spooner (USA) lt. 2 Ana Luisa Perez Lopez (MEX) 4-6 2-6

R3:
14/WC Victoria Dimuzio (CAN) lt. Q Sabrina Faybyshev (USA) 6-1 2-6 3-6
7 Teona Velehorschi (CAN) d. 9 Dominique Vasile (USA) 6-2 6-3
4 Arisha Ladhani(CAN) lt. 13/WC Natasha Irani (CAN) 6-7(5) 5-7
8 Daniella Silva (CAN) d. 11 Maria Regina Espindola Mancera (MEX) 6-0 6-3

12/WC Tina Kreinis (CAN) d. Q Jade Lewis (NZL) 6-4 7-6(4)
16 Jade Hilton (CAN) lt. 3 Rosie Johanson (CAN) 2-6 3-6
5 Katarina Kopcalic (CAN) lt. 10 Iryna Kostirko (CAN) 6-2 0-6 3-6
15 Gracia Mboko (CAN) d. 2 Ana Luisa Perez Lopez (MEX) 6-3 6-2

QF:
Q Sabrina Faybyshev (USA) lt. 7 Teona Velehorschi (CAN) 3-6 2-6
13/WC Natasha Irani (CAN) lt. 8 Daniella Silva (CAN) 7-5 3-6 3-6
12/WC Tina Kreinis (CAN) lt. 3 Rosie Johanson (CAN) 4-6 3-6
10 Iryna Kostirko (CAN) lt. 15 Gracia Mboko (CAN) 5-7 4-6

SF:
7 Teona Velehorschi (CAN) d. 8 Daniella Silva (CAN) 6-1 6-3
15 Gracia Mboko (CAN) vs. 3 Rosie Johanson (CAN) 6-4 7-6(2)

F:
7 Teona Velehorschi (CAN) d. 8 Daniella Silva (CAN) 6-1 6-3

Sportgal1
Apr 8th, 2013, 02:00 AM
Bump for Trey, Dimuzio got a wild card into the main draw (post above)

Trey
Apr 8th, 2013, 05:00 AM
^ Omg So Happy i hope she make an Deep run her too get junior ranking higher let go Dimuzio

Sportgal1
Apr 10th, 2013, 02:21 AM
How did you end up being a fan of Dimuzio?

Trey
Apr 10th, 2013, 12:22 PM
I been following her result for a while now, & there pretty good for 14 yr I think if she can keep it up she can go far

Trey
Apr 15th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Gracia MBOKO lost in the final tough lost for Gracia

Sportgal1
Apr 16th, 2013, 03:13 AM
Yes, but a very nice week for Teona. Singles and doubles titles! So many career highs for the young girls too. Akkerman's up to 59, she might squeak into the FO main draw.

XI Internacional Junior Pilar De La Horadada G2 (Spain)
R1:
Marie-Alexandre Leduc (CAN) d. WC Eva Martinez Regalado (ESP) 6-0 6-0
Alexis Prokopuik (CAN) vs. Alba Carillo Marin (ESP) 6-1 6-0
R2:
Marie-Alexandre Leduc (CAN) lt. 5 Harriet Dart (GBR) 2-6 4-6
Alexis Prokopuik (CAN) lt 2 Katie Boulter (GBR) 0-6 6-2 4-6

Sportgal1
May 3rd, 2013, 06:11 AM
World Junior Team Tennis and Junior Fed Cup Qualifying going on now. See the thread here (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=526770)

Top 2 teams advance

U14: Vanessa Wong, Katherine Sebov, Charlotte Robillard-Millette
U16: Marie-Alexandre Leduc, Rosie Johanson, Teona Velehorschi

I think both teams have a pretty good chance of qualifying. It would be interesting to know how they chose the teams though. I would've thought that Petrick would be on the U16 team, but she rarely seems to play anymore. I think she's only played 2 itf pro qualies since November. I think Abanda is eligible as well, maybe she's injured? Hopefully she'd be able to play in the finals Still a pretty strong team. The US U14 team is very strong (Claire Liu, CiCi Bellis, Michaela Gordon), it'll be interesting to see how we do. Good luck to both teams :D

U14
Canada d. Guatemala 3-0
Vanessa Wong v Laura Lopez Urrea 60 60
Katherine Sebov v Mishelle Cordero Lopez 62 60
Wong/Robillard-Millette v Cordero Lopez/Lopez Urrea 61 60

Canada d. United States 2-1
Vanessa Wong v Michaela Gordon 60 61
Katherine Sebov v Catherine Bellis 26 46
Sebov/Wong v Bellis/Liu 64 63

U16
Canada d. Cuba 3-0
Rosie Johanson v Amanda Gomez 60 75
Marie-Alexandre Leduc v Claudia Carreras 63 61
Leduc/Johnson v Carreras/Gomez 63 76(2)

Canada d. Mexico 3-0
Rosie Johanson v Ana Luisa Perez Lopez 63 62
Marie-Alexandre Leduc v Jessica Hinojosa 62 61
Leduc/Johnson v Hinjosa/Fuentes 46 64 63

Tampering
May 3rd, 2013, 04:19 PM
Is that score from the USA - Canada U14 1st rubber correct?

It says Wong beat Michaela Gordon 6-0 6-1 in 1hr:05. :eek:

Sportgal1
May 4th, 2013, 05:14 AM
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Ya, I was slightly shocked when I saw that score too. But a very nice win for Canada, honestly wasn't expecting it.

Tampering
Jul 30th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Zhao just beat Tomljanovic 3-6 6-3 7-6(4) in R1 of Vancouver.

She's off to school soon, and for all we know she may not play much pro-tennis ever again. Good win nonetheless.

Sportgal1
Jul 31st, 2013, 01:40 AM
Zhao just beat Tomljanovic 3-6 6-3 7-6(4) in R1 of Vancouver.

She's off to school soon, and for all we know she may not play much pro-tennis ever again. Good win nonetheless.

You never know, she is going to Stanford, which has had Gibbs and Burdette come out of it and go pro. Hopefully she gets to play one or two, then it's pretty decent prep for if she ever does turn pro. And Tomljanovic is a very good win, I saw that draw and honestly didn't think it was very probable for Zhao to win.

Also, Katherine Sebov won her first title last week at a G4 in Vancouver. She, Vanessa Wong and Charlotte Robillard-Millette are representing Canada at a TE U14 event in Germany this week. That must be quite a bit of jet lag, but they've all gotten off to extremely good starts.

Kreis Düren Junior Tennis Cup, Germany, TE U14 G1 (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=573121)
R1:
Charlotte Robillard-Millette (CAN) d. Lara Schmidt (GER) 62 61
12 Katherine Sebov (CAN) d. Q Franziska Nobis (GER) 60 61
Vanessa Wong (CAN) d. Manuela Alban (ECU) 60 62
R2:
Charlotte Robillard-Millette (CAN) d. (15)Laila Elnimr (EGY) 61 62
12 Katherine Sebov (CAN) d. Petra Hule (AUS) 62 63
Vanessa Wong (CAN) d. 2 Tatiana Makarova (RUS) 61 63

Sportgal1
Jul 31st, 2013, 09:24 PM
R3:
1 Sofya Zhuk (RUS) d. Charlotte Robillard-Millette (CAN) 62 26 62
12 Katherine Sebov (CAN) d. 8 Elena Rybakina (RUS) 62 57 64
Vanessa Wong (CAN) d. Nika Shytkouskaya (BLR) 64 76(3)

QF:
12 Katherine Sebov (CAN) d. 4 Zinovia Vaneva (BUL) 75 61
Vanessa Wong (CAN) lt. 7 Jodie Anna Burrage (GBR) 26 26

SF:
12 Katherine Sebov (CAN) d. 1 Sofya Zhuk (RUS) 62 57 61

F:
12 Katherine Sebov (CAN) d. 5 Oleksandra Andrieieva (UKR) 60 67(4) 61

Sportgal1
Aug 5th, 2013, 04:58 AM
Congrats to Sebov for winning last week! She ended Zhuk's twenty something win streak. All the Canadians are looking pretty good going into World Junior Tennis Finals now. Here's their group:

Group 3
Canada
Spain
India
Peru

Simplicity.
Aug 11th, 2013, 04:24 AM
Congrats to Sebov for winning last week! She ended Zhuk's twenty something win streak. All the Canadians are looking pretty good going into World Junior Tennis Finals now. Here's their group:

Group 3
Canada
Spain
India
Peru
When is this event?

Sportgal1
Aug 11th, 2013, 05:13 AM
It just finished. Canada won their group, then lost to Russia in the semi-finals. They then lost the third place playoffs to the Czechs. The all played pretty well, though. It's too bad they lost doubles so badly though.

3rd place playoff

Monica KILNAROVA (CZE) lt Charlotte Robillard-Millette (CAN) 6-4 4-6 3-6
Marketa VONDROUSOVA (CZE) d .Katherine SEBOV (CAN) 6-2 6-3
Anna SLOVAKOVA/Marketa VONDROUSOVA d. Katherine SEBOV/Vanessa WONG (CAN) 6-1 6-0

Simplicity.
Aug 11th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Which of these players are more likely to do well in the future.

Sportgal1
Aug 25th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Which of these players are more likely to do well in the future.

It's really hard to tell at this age. Probably Sebov right now, but Wong seems to do really well in tournaments and just play less. Robillard-Millette is a bit of a more recent prospect, I think. I know I was following the other two well before her. All three are in various regional Tennis Canada training centers. All three missed the national 18's championships because of junior fed cup, but Wong beat Robillard-Millette in the final of the national 16's. Sebov didn't participate. Interesting trivia fact; they were all born within a week or two of each other in January.

Not sure how the seeding works, but there were multiple seeds of the same number.

18's Nationals
QF:
5 Ayan Broomfield d. 1 Gloria Liang 6-1 ret'd
9 Katarina Kopcalic d. Jade Hilton 6-4 6-1
5 Teona Velehorschi d. 4 Iryna Kostirko 6-3 7-5
2 Rosie Johanson d. 5 Maria Patrascu 7-5 6-1
SF:
5 Ayan Broomfield d. 9 Katarina Kopcalic 6-4 ret'd
2 Rosie Johanson d. 5 Teona Velehorschi 6-4 6-0
F:
2 Rosie Johanson d. 5 Ayan Broomfield 6-2 6-4

16's Nationals
QF:
1 Maria Patrascu d. 5 Natasha Irani 6-2 6-2
3 Charlotte Robillard-Millette d. 5 Anca Cracium 6-1 6-0
5 Stacey Fung d. 3 Teona Velehorschi 7-6(1) 1-6 6-3
2 Vanessa Wong d. Reghan Lynch 6-4 6-0
SF:
3 Charlotte Robillard-Millette d. 1 Maria Patrascu 6-3 6-2
2 Vanessa Wong d. 5 Stacey Fung 5-7 6-4 6-4
F:
2 Vanessa Wong d. 3 Charlotte Robillard-Millette 6-2 7-6(4)

Djo-Coeur
Aug 25th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Erin Routliffe

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/8725/5nap.jpg

Simplicity.
Aug 31st, 2013, 01:30 PM
Interesting trivia fact; they were all born within a week or two of each other in January.

Thank you. Also, the part I quoted above is not uncommon among elite level athletes.

Sportgal1
Sep 9th, 2013, 02:56 AM
U18 Canadian World Ranking Event Montreal G2

(1)Madison Bourguignon (USA) d. (wc)Charlotte Petrick (CAN) 61 61
(Q)Katie Swan (GBR) d. Jenna Friedel (USA) 64 60
Raquel Predaza (USA) d. Rosie Johanson (CAN) 16 63 63
(8)Helen Abigail Altick (USA) d. Sabrina Faybyshev (USA) 61 62

(3)Gloria Liang (CAN) d. (Q)Stephanie Nemtsova (USA) 64 62
Ellyse Hamlin (USA) d. Jessica Cortes (MEX) 60 63
(wc)Charlotte Robillard-Millette d. Claudia Wiktoria (USA) 75 57 60
(6)Ayla Aksu (USA) d. Alexandria Stiteler (USA) 26 64 64

(wc)Ayan Broomfield (CAN) d. (7)Elysse Graci (USA) 60 63
Chloe Michele Ouellet-Pizer (USA) d. (LL)Grace Hruska (USA) 60 60
Alexis Prokopuik (CAN) d. Sydney Arnea Riley (USA) 61 63
(4)Mira Ruder-Hook (USA) d. Anita Safronenka (BLR) 64 60

(Q)Jessica Golovin (USA) d. (5)Simone Pratt (BAH) 62 36 61
(wc)Katherine Sebov (CAN) d. Mary Catherine Haffey (USA) 36 63 75
Meghan Kelly (USA) d. Yolimar Ogando (PUR) 75 62
(2/Q)Dasha Ivanova (USA) d. Marie-Alexandre Leduc (CAN) 75 46 61

R2
(Q)Katie Swan (GBR) d. (1)Madison Bourguignon (USA) 6-2 6-3
(8)Helen Abigail Altick (USA) d. Raquel Predaza (USA) 6-4 6-4
(3)Gloria Liang (CAN) d. Ellyse Hamlin (USA) 7-5 3-6 6-2
(wc)Charlotte Robillard-Millette (CAN) d. (6)Ayla Aksu (USA) 2-6 6-2 6-4

Chloe Michele Ouellet-Pizer (USA) (wc)Ayan Broomfield (CAN) 6-4 2-6 6-4
Alexis Prokopuik (CAN) d. (4)Mira Ruder-Hook (USA) 6-1 6-1
(wc)Katherine Sebov (CAN) d. (Q)Jessica Golovin (USA) 6-4 7-5
(2/Q)Dasha Ivanova (USA) d. Meghan Kelly (USA) 6-3 6-0

QF
(8)Helen Abigail Altick (USA) d. (Q)Katie Swan (GBR) 3-6 6-4 6-2
(3)Gloria Liang (CAN) d. (wc)Charlotte Robillard-Millette (CAN)6-2 3-6 6-4
Chloe Michele Ouellet-Pizer (USA) d. Alexis Prokopuik (CAN) 6-3 7-5
(2/Q)Dasha Ivanova (USA) d. (wc)Katherine Sebov (CAN) 6-3 3-6 6-2

SF
(3)Gloria Liang (CAN) d. (8)Helen Abigail Altick (USA) 2-6 6-4 6-4
(2/Q)Dasha Ivanova (USA) d. Chloe Michele Ouellet-Pizer (USA) 6-3 3-6 6-2

F
(2/Q)Dasha Ivanova (USA) d. (3)Gloria Liang (CAN) 6-3 1-6 7-5

Doubles Final
Petrick/Leduc (CAN) d. (1)Ivanova/Bourguignon 7-5 6-7(4) 10-7

Sportgal1
Sep 17th, 2013, 01:25 AM
Good week for most Canucks last week :). Liang lost a close final but now is almost top 100. Lots of new career highs, its amazing how fast the 1999 girls are shooting up the rankings. Definitely good to see the younger girls coming up, as we lose Routliffe, Zhao and Akkerman at the end of the year.

New CHR:
Liang (105) +31
Prokopuik (277) tied a career high. +74
Sebov (354) +154
Robillard-Millette (601) +312
Broomfield (858) +601

Also, fall national results:

U18
F
(2) Rosie Johanson d. (5)Ayan Broomfield 6-2 6-4

U16
F
(2)Vanessa Wong d. (3) Charlotte Robillard-Millette 6-2 7-6(4)

Djo-Coeur
Oct 3rd, 2013, 05:14 PM
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/5070/ju4l.jpg

Beatrice Boisvert, 7 years old from Trois-Rivières in Quebec, is recruited by Tennis Canada for perfection camp taking place on 11 week-ends.

6 years old in this video :eek: I wonder if Eugenie was this good at 6?
eEUkKYrEccs

She is barely higher than the net, but her backhand seems as devastating as her smile. This explains, in part, why Tennis Canada has selected Béatrice Boisvert for its national youth program even if she's barely 7 years old!

As of today, the gifted girl will travel to Montreal to attend the development camps in the company of other young people also selected for the Canadian program over 11 weekends.

"It is quite a feat for Beatrice to have been recruited at such a young age by Tennis Canada," says, with admiration, Anne Veillette, Coordinator of indoor tennis at René-Verrier in Drummondville, where the girl trains since almost three years. "She is very very good. '' She has what it takes to become a great tennis player. Her potential is enormous."

Further more... "She has the tools to stand out. Physically, she is very athletic for her age. She emits a lot of energy. What differentiates her from the other young people her age, however, is her ability to concentrate. She stores information like a sponge and adhere to the instructions given to her. Her progression is therefore very fast. In addition, she's a perfectionist."

Another essential quality of any athlete who respects herself, Béatrice Boisvert has character. "She is feisty, she will fight to get at every ball that is hit in her direction. ''

Little Beatrice will therefore participate in the first of the three sessions of Tennis Canada. "Young people are registered by session because at this age, it is not always easy to maintain interest over a long period. Young people may choose to limit to a single session, without this compromising their commitment to the program of Tennis Canada. They can also attend three sessions if they wish and Tennis Canada chooses to keep them in the program. I believe that this is what will happen in the case of Beatrice."

It was after attending a camp of detection of Tennis Québec the girl from Trois-Rivieres fell into the eye of Tennis Canada. "Tennis Quebec asked the clubs to send their best players to special days to evaluate them.

During these days people from Tennis Canada are also on-site. Assessments to measure the mobility of players, their ease on the sides to move forward or to the back of the court to fetch the balls that are in. There are also coordination exercises, fitness and even tests of assessments on the spatio-temporal perception, including how the youth react on balls hit in height and return it."

Little Beatrice is not yet Eugenie Bouchard, far from it. But if her interest and commitment for tennis continues, who knows what the future holds...

Original article here, in French http://www.lapresse.ca/le-nouvelliste/sports/201310/03/01-4696005-une-trifluvienne-de-7-ans-dans-la-mire-de-tennis-canada.php

Sportgal1
Oct 8th, 2013, 06:51 AM
^ It's a bit weird seeing someone saying that someone isn't Eugenie Bouchard yet haha. She's come a long way. Hopefully Beatrice does well, it's just so hard to tell when she's so young.

This week: Pan American B1. How did Wong get a wildcard? Nice to see her and some other young girls win through.

Pan American B1:
R1:
(wc)Gabrielle Faith Andrews (USA) d. Anjana Suresh (CAN) 6-1 6-2
(11)Mira Ruder-Hook (USA) d. Rosie Johanson (CAN) 5-7 6-4 6-4
(WC) Vanessa Wong (CAN) d. Elizabeth Sutherland (USA) 6-3 6-0
Alexis Prokopuik (CAN) d. (Q)Madison Westby (USA) 6-3 4-6 6-4
Katherine Sebov (CAN) d. (6)Rianna Valdes (USA) 6-2 6-4
(Q)Charlotte Robillard-Millette (CAN) d. Madison Harrison (USA) 6-2 6-2

R2:
(WC) Vanessa Wong (CAN) lt. (1/WC) Torndao Alicia Black (USA) 1-6 0-6
Alexis Prokopuik (CAN) lt. (14) Helen Abigail Altick (USA) 1-6 0-6
Katherine Sebov (CAN) d. Chloe Michele Ouellet-Pizer (USA) 4-6 6-3 7-6(7)
(Q)Charlotte Robillard-Millette (CAN) d. (3)Michaela Gordon (USA) 5-7 7-5 6-3

R3:
Katherine Sebov (CAN) d. 9 Cassandra Vazquez (MEX) 6-1 1-6 6-4
(Q)Charlotte Robillard-Millette (CAN) lt. 16 Sofia Kenin (USA) 6-4 6-7(2) 6-4

QF:
Katherine Sebov (CAN) d. 16 Sofia Kenin (USA) 6-1 6-4

SF:
Katherine Sebov (CAN) vs. 13 Kaitlyn McCarthy

Tampering
Oct 10th, 2013, 12:21 AM
^ It's a bit weird seeing someone saying that someone isn't Eugenie Bouchard yet haha. She's come a long way. Hopefully Beatrice does well, it's just so hard to tell when she's so young.

This week: Pan American B1. How did Wong get a wildcard? Nice to see her and some other young girls win through.

Pan American B1:
R1:
(wc)Gabrielle Faith Andrews (USA) d. Anjana Suresh (CAN) 6-1 6-2
(11)Mira Ruder-Hook (USA) d. Rosie Johanson (CAN) 5-7 6-4 6-4
(WC) Vanessa Wong (CAN) d. Elizabeth Sutherland (USA) 6-3 6-0
Alexis Prokopuik (CAN) d. (Q)Madison Westby (USA) 6-3 4-6 6-4
Katherine Sebov (CAN) d. (6)Rianna Valdes (USA) 6-2 6-4
(Q)Charlotte Robillard-Millette (CAN) d. Madison Harrison (USA) 6-2 6-2

R2:
(WC) Vanessa Wong (CAN) vs. (1/WC) Torndao Alicia Black (USA)
Alexis Prokopuik (CAN) vs. (14) Helen Abigail Altick (USA)
Katherine Sebov (CAN) vs. Chloe Michele Ouellet-Pizer (USA)
(Q)Charlotte Robillard-Millette (CAN) vs. (3)Michaela Gordon (USA)

Sebov and Robillard-Millette won their R2 matches.

Then Sebov won her R3 to reach the QFs. She's getting some good results in U18s. For now the one to watch amongst the 99s.

Gawd born in 99, I'm old. :sad:

Tampering
Oct 11th, 2013, 05:36 AM
She made it to the semi-finals by taking down yet another seed. She's claimed seeds 6, 9, 16.
Gets the 13th seed in the semi-final.

Collette Lewis wrote an account of Sebov's R2 match on her ZooTennis Blog.

http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.ca/2013/10/fritz-keeps-winning-streak-going-sebov.html

Here's an excerpt:

...14-year-old Canadian picked up a dramatic win, with Katherine Sebov saving two match points in her 4-6, 6-3, 7-6(7) victory over Chloe Ouellet-Pizer.

With Ouellet-Pizer serving for the match at 6-5 in the third, Sebov's unforced errors gave Ouellet-Pizer a 40-15 lead. Sebov cracked a return winner to save the first, and Ouellet-Pizer double faulted on the second, with Sebov going on to break to earn a tiebreaker.

"When she had match points, I just thought, screw it, I'm just going to go for it and whatever happens, happens," said Sebov, who beat No. 6 seed Rianna Valdes in Monday's first round. "That's pretty much what pros do. I hit a very good winner and she got intimidated and hit a double fault, so then I had a chance. I kept going, kept playing my game--hitting the ball hard, moving the opponent around--and I think that's how I won."

After one particularly important winner, Sebov shouted "fearless",....

Sportgal1
Oct 11th, 2013, 05:36 AM
Sebov now through to the semis. She's having an amazing run!

Edit* haha tampering you posted at the same time.

All the young '99 girls actually did really well. And just imagine, next year we'll start seeing the 2000 girls.

Tampering
Oct 11th, 2013, 05:50 AM
I had the live score page open during the match this morning.

Sebov must be a tough competitor. First set was much closer than the score, almost every game went to deuce. She held all of hers and broke her opponent multiple times.

Tampering
Oct 11th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Sebov's run came to an end 7-5, 7-5.

There were many breaks in this match but McCarthy managed key holds at the end of each set.

Sportgal1
Oct 24th, 2013, 03:03 AM
This week is the second of two G5's in Canada this week. Congratulations to Tiffany Lagarde, who qualified and beat the first seed in her first itf tournament. She's going to be our first 2000 ranked Canadian girl :eek: Also, congrats to Stacey Fung who won last week.

G5 Ace Tennis U18 ITF Canadian World Ranking Event 2
QF:
(6) Teona Velehorschi (CAN) d. (Q) Tiffany Lagarde (CAN) 6-3 7-5
Grace Mboko (CAN) d. (3) Vanessa Wong (CAN) 6-3 7-6(6)
(5) Ayan Broomfield (CAN) d. Seira Shimizu (JPN) 0-6 6-3 6-3
(2) Charlotte Robillard-Millard (CAN) d. Dominique Vasile (USA) 6-4 6-1

Tampering
Nov 29th, 2013, 12:47 AM
The NTC team for the upcoming season was announced a few weeks ago. There will be 6 girls at NTC next year.

Françoise Abanda (QC)
Gloria Liang (ON)
Alexis Prokapuik (ON)

will be joined by

Rosie Johanson (BC)
Marie-Alexandre Leduc (QC)
Charlotte Robillard-Millette (QC)

Sportgal1
Dec 1st, 2013, 12:56 AM
The NTC team for the upcoming season was announced a few weeks ago. There will be 6 girls at NTC next year.

Françoise Abanda (QC)
Gloria Liang (ON)
Alexis Prokapuik (ON)

will be joined by

Rosie Johanson (BC)
Marie-Alexandre Leduc (QC)
Charlotte Robillard-Millette (QC)

Pretty much expected I think, the only one I'm surprised not to see is Sebov. Robillard-Millette is having some really good runs lately too, so she's not a bad choice either.

I assume most of them will be down at Eddie Herr, it'll be good to see them in action.

Tampering
Dec 1st, 2013, 06:38 PM
I think so, most of them played the Yucatan in Mexico last week.

Sebov and Prokapuik won their QR1 yesterday.

Tampering
Dec 3rd, 2013, 09:30 PM
At the Eddier Herr G1 at IMG, Katherine Sebov was the only Girl to make it through Q into the Main Draw. Prokopuik lost in QFR

So a photo from a Head Sponsored event back in the summer.

TeamHead1 Team Head Canada 31 Aug
Katherine Sebov testing the new Graphene Radical Pro
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BTA4XqACUAAdtyU.jpg

Her section of the Draw, If she makes it out past R3 she is in the same Quarter as the #1 Seed Varvara Flink.

Akvile PARAZINSKAITE (LTU) [11] (JR 52)
Bianka BEKEFI (HUN) (JR 130)

Aleksandra POSPELOVA (RUS) (Q) (JR 187)
Rianna VALDES (USA) (JR 91)

Tereza MIHALIKOVA (SVK) (JR 143)
Katherine SEBOV (CAN) (Q) (JR 205)

Natalia VIKHLYANTSEVA (RUS) (JR 140)
Johnnise RENAUD (USA) [7] (JR 39)

Match Results
QR1 Katherine SEBOV [8] df Karen ZAFIROS (USA) 6-0 6-0
QR2 Katherine SEBOV [8] df Anna BROGAN (GBR) 6-3 6-1
QFR Katherine SEBOV [8] df Valentini GRAMMATIKOPOULOU (GRE) 6-7(3) 6-2 6-3

MD1 Katherine SEBOV [Q] df Tereza MIHALIKOVA (SVK) 6-3 6-3
MD2 Katherine SEBOV [Q] lost to Natalia VIKHLYANTSEVA (RUS)5-7 1-6

Another decent week at a G1. She'll be quite competitive at G1/GA level as a 15 year old next year.

Sportgal1
Dec 6th, 2013, 05:10 AM
Too bad she lost, I thought she'd have a decent shot it. This should take her up a bit in the rankings, hopefully along with orange bowl and taking the '95 girls out of the rankings she'll be close to top 100.

It's a bit sad the lack of Canadians in the 18's. I can understand Abanda wanting to play ITFs, but I would've really liked to have seen Liang and Leduc play here. On the other hand, in the 14s and 16s Wong and Robillard-Millette are both through to the quarters. Interesting that our top 3 1999 girls all played different age groups lol.

Tampering
Dec 11th, 2013, 01:29 AM
The Orange Bowl last Grade A of the year. Sebov won her Q matches and Prokopuik was defeated in QFR but advanced to the MD as a LL.

Qualifying Results

[16] Alexis PROKOPUIK (CAN) d Ning HAI (CHN) 6-0 6-0
[16] Alexis PROKOPUIK (CAN) d Mayuka AIKAWA (JPN) 6-1 6-2
Emilie FRANCATI (DEN) d [16] Alexis PROKOPUIK (CAN) 6-2 6-1

[6] Katherine SEBOV (CAN) Raquel PEDRAZA (USA)6-4 6-3
[6] Katherine SEBOV (CAN) Savannah DURKIN (USA) 6-0 6-3
[6] Katherine SEBOV (CAN) Adeliya ZABIROVA (RUS)6-0 2-6 6-4

Their Main Draws

========= Sebov

(5)Marie Bouzkova (CZE) d. Marie Norris (USA)
(Q)Andreea Ghitescu (ROU) d. (wc)Ellyse Hamlin (USA)
(Q)Katherine Sebov (CAN) d. (wc)CiCi Bellis (USA)
(10)Anastasiya Komardina (RUS) d. Cassandra Vazquez (MEX)

======== Prokopuik

Katarina Jokic (BIH) d. (7)Katrine Isabel Steffensen (USA)
Jaqueline Adina Cristian (ROU) d. (Q)Emilie Francati (DEN)
(LL)Alexis Prokopuik (CAN) d. Rebeka Stolmar (HUN)
(9)Akvile Parazinskaite (LTU) d. Anastasia Shaulskaya (RUS)

Main Draw Results

R1
(Q)Katherine Sebov (CAN) d. (wc)CiCi Bellis (USA) 63 76(2)
(LL)Alexis Prokopuik (CAN) d. Rebeka Stolmar (HUN) 61 64

R2
Sebov v (10) Anastasiya Komardina (RUS)
Prokopuik v (9)Akvile Parazinskaite (LTU)

In the 16s Wong and Robillard-Millette are into R3.

Sportgal1
Dec 11th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Nice to see Prokopuik get a win! Also, a very good win by Sebov over Bellis. Would be nice to see her make a good run here. Will be interesting to see if Wong and Robillard Millette also play 14s next week.

Sportgal1
Dec 14th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Robillard-Millette and Wong lost the doubles final, but still a good run. Robillard will play Alexis Nelson in the 16s final, hoping to get a three-peat for Canada (Routliffe and Liang won the last two years).
http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.ca/2013/12/kenin-tiafoe-kozlov-reach-orange-bowl.html

Tampering
Dec 14th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Robillard-Millette took the the 16s singles title. 6-0 1-6 6-4

Let's see if the 14s eligibles that played stick around for another week.

canuckfan
Dec 14th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Robillard-Millette won the title 60 16 64.

1999 looks to be a really strong year. And I thought there would be a major drought after Abanda. Guess not.

Sportgal1
Dec 17th, 2013, 07:00 AM
1999 is very impressive so far, I agree. Abanda was so far ahead of all the girls around her age, which is probably why it felt like a draught. She broke the top 10 before Bencic and Konjuh, I think. Too bad she was then injured. Really surprised, but Robillard-Millette is playing orange bowl 14s this week. Even more surprised that she is unseeded (she was seeded 5 in 16s). Should be interesting, a lot of pressure. Good luck to all the Canucks!

Tampering
Dec 17th, 2013, 09:47 PM
The 99 class got off to a good start. But as always who knows what they'll be when they mature? Let's hope they continue to develop and they'll be competitive in the G1/GA by the end of next year.

I think Robillard-Millette withdrew.

Sportgal1
Jan 11th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Two Canadian girls are competing at Nike Junior International Teen Tennis (U14). This is a prep tournament for the prestigious Les Petit As.

R1:
(7) Bianca Vanessa Andreescu (CAN) - BYE
Maria Tanasescu (CAN) d. Kira Reuter (GBR) 6-4 6-3
R2:
(7) Bianca Vanessa Andreescu (CAN) d. (WC) Nell Miller (GBR) 6-4 7-6(5)
Maria Tanasescu (CAN) d. (4) Neli Sunjic (CRO) 5-7 6-3 6-2
R3:
(7) Bianca Vanessa Andreescu (CAN) d. Elysia Bolton (USA) 6-2 7-6(6)
Maria Tanasescu (CAN) d. (15) Wiktoria Rutkowska (POL) 3-6 6-4 7-5
QF:
(1) Anda Karanusic (CRO) d. (7) Bianca Vanessa Andreescu (CAN) 6-3 6-0
Maria Tanasescu (CAN) d. Alexandra Walker (GBR) 6-4 5-7 6-4
SF:
Maria Tanasescu (CAN) d. (11) Ali Collins (GBR) 6-4 6-4
F:
Maria Tanasescu (CAN) d. (1) Anda Karanusic 7-6(3) 6-7(6) 7-6(4)

Doubles F:
(6) Tanasescu/Andreescu (CAN/CAN) d. Collins/Hunter (GBR/GBR) 6-4 7-6(5)

Sportgal1
Jan 20th, 2014, 09:45 PM
Les Petit As 14s

R1:
(12) Bianca Vanessa Andreescu (CAN) v (Q)Clara Burel (FRA)
Mihaela Lorena Marculescu (ROU) d. (15) Maria Tanasescu (CAN) 7-5 7-6(5)

G1 Copa Baranquilla, Columbia

QR1:
(1) Rosie Johanson (CAN) - BYE
(5) Vanessa Wong (CAN) - BYE
(6) Ayan Broomfield (CAN) - BYE
QR2:
(1) Rosie Johanson (CAN) d. Ornelia Garavani (ARG) 6-3 7-6(3)
(5) Vanessa Wong (CAN) lt Sofia Munera Sanchez (COL) 6-2 6-7(5) 4-6
(6) Ayan Broomfield (CAN) d. Katarina Kozarov (SRB) 2-6 7-5 6-2
QFR:
(1) Rosie Johanson (CAN) d. Julia Soica (FRA) 3-6 6-4 6-3
(6) Ayan Broomfield (CAN) lt. Maria Capurro Taborda (ARG) 6-1 3-6 4-6

R1:
(12) Katherine Sebov (CAN) - BYE
(Q) Rosie Johanson (CAN) vs. Sofia Munera Sanchez (COL)
Alexis Prokopuik (CAN) vs. Jessica Golovin (USA)

G4 ONGC ITF Juniors, India

R1: Anjana Suresh (CAN) d. Komola Umarova (UZB) 6-0 6-4
R2: Anjana Suresh (CAN) vs. (1) Pranjala Yadlapalli (IND)

Tampering
Jan 26th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Rosie Johanson had a great week in Columbia, she made it all the way to the SF before losing.

Andreescu/Tanasescu lost in the Doubles Final.

Andreescu is playing in the Singles Final today.

Edit: Looks like Bianca Andreescu took to the girls singles title 6-4, 7-5.

Sportgal1
Jan 28th, 2014, 01:52 AM
Yay, Nice job Bianca!!! This is an amazing tournament to win! Her and Tanasescu lost in the doubles final as well.

Nice to see Johanson doing well again, she seemed to have a bit of trouble after transitioning to the NTC originally (I think she started in the fall sometime). She jumped 222 spots in the rankings this week! A bit disappointed in the score against Fridman however, was hoping she'd be a bit closer to other top 98 girls.

Sportgal1
Feb 11th, 2014, 01:16 AM
Week of Feb 2 (Sebov entered the top 100 at 99 after this week!)

G2 Inka Bowl, Peru
R1:
(11) Alexis Prokopuik (CAN) d. (Q) Delia Arranz (ESP) 6-1 6-2
(3) Katherine Sebov (CAN) d. Ndindi Inziani Mwaruka (USA) 6-2 6-4
Vanessa Wong (CAN) d. (12) Gabriela Ferreira Sanabria (PAR) 6-2 7-5
Catalina Vives (CHI) d. (8) Rosie Johanson (CAN) 6-2 7-5
Ayan Broomfield (CAN) d. (Q)Laura Uscocovich (ECU) 6-1 6-2
R2:
(11) Alexis Prokopuik (CAN) d. (wc)Maria Paula Torres (PER) 6-2 6-4
(3) Katherine Sebov (CAN) d. Marta Paigina (RUS) 6-1 7-5
Vanessa Wong (CAN) d. Sara Kelly (USA) 6-2 6-2
(2) Madison Bourguignon (USA) d. Ayan Broomfield (CAN) 6-1 6-2
R3:
Julieta Lara Estable (ARG) d. (11)Alexis Prokopuik (CAN) 6-2 6-0
(3)Katherine Sebov (CAN) d. (14)Mary Catherine Haffey (USA) 6-4 6-2
Vanessa Wong (CAN) d. Ana Luisa Perez Lopez (MEX) 7-5 6-3
QF:
(3) Katherine Sebov (CAN) d. Vanessa Wong (CAN) 6-0 6-3
SF:
Julieta Lara Estable (ARG) d. (3) Katherine Sebov (CAN) 7-6(5) 6-4

Doubles
F: (5) Prokopuik/Haffery (CAN/USA) d. (7) Brogan/Kelley (GBR/USA) 6-2 6-3

G2 ITF Juniors Tennis Club Hammamet, Tunisia
R1:
Marie-Alexandre Leduc (CAN) d. (7) Vasilisa Aponasenko (RUS) 6-2 6-4
(8 )Gloria Liang (CAN) d. Lana Rush (GBR) 6-0 6-3
R2:
Marie-Alexandre Leduc (CAN) d. Gabriella Taylor (GBR) 3-6 6-2 6-1
(8) Gloria Liang (CAN) d. Nina Potocnik (SLO) 5-7 6-1 7-6(8)
QF:
Marie-Alexandre Leduc (CAN) d. (4)Rebeka Stolmar (HUN) 6-3 6-7(3) 6-3
(3)Anna Bondar (HUN) d. (8)Gloria Liang (CAN) 6-1 6-2
SF:
(1)Sandra Samir (EGY) d. Marie-Alexandre Leduc (CAN) 6-3 7-5

Sportgal1
Feb 11th, 2014, 01:26 AM
Feb 9

G1 Mediterranee Avenir, Morroco
R1:
Marie-Alexandre Leduc (CAN) d. Janet Koch (RSA) 6-1 6-3
Gloria Liang (CAN) d. Anna Iakovleva (RUS) 6-0 6-4
R2:
Marie-Alexandre Leduc (CAN) d. (13) Georgie Brescia (ITA) 6-4 6-3
Gloria Liang (CAN) d. (7) Tereza Mihalikova (SVK) 6-1 6-1
R3:
Marie-Alexandre Leduc (CAN) d. (1) Ioana Ducu (ROU) 7-5 6-2
Gloria Liang (CAN) d. (12) Theresa Alison Van Zyl (RSA) 6-4 6-0
QF:
(Q) Paula Badosa Gibert (ESP) d. Marie-Alexandre Leduc (CAN) 6-2 6-2
Manca Pislak (SLO) d. Gloria Liang (CAN) 6-4 3-6 6-4

G4 Queretaro Junior Cup, Mexico
QR1:
Mariana Gonzalez Romero (MEX) d. Alina Jurca (CAN) 6-3 6-3

R1:
Jena Chang (CAN) d. (Q) Carolina Avendano (MEX) 6-1 6-0
Allessandra Miller (CAN) d. Laura Arce (MEX) 6-3 6-3
Tina Kreinis (CAN) d. Claudie Polina Lopez (MEX) 6-0 6-2
Kylie Waschuk (CAN) d. (WC) Ximena Kompalka (MEX) 6-2 6-1
Arisha Ladhani (CAN) lt. Maria Jose Portillo Ramirez (MEX) 3-6 1-6
Demi Henschel (CAN) lt. (Q) Erandi Xanat Martinez Hernandez (MEX) 0-6 6-3 4-6
Claire Koke (CAN) lt. (4) Sydney Arnea Riley (USA) 0-6 4-6
Ashleigh Jacobs (CAN) lt. (Q) Jane Wasserson (USA) 3-6 3-6
Gabrielle Bergeron (CAN) lt. (2) Antonella Bramato (MEX) 1-6 2-6
R2:
Jena Chang (CAN) d. Delaney Edwards (USA) 4-6 6-3 6-2
Tina Kreinis (CAN) d. (6) Sabrina Faybyshev (USA) 6-3 3-6 7-5
(7) Alexa Bortles (USA) d. Allessandra Miller (CAN) 6-2 6-1
Kylie Waschuk (CAN) lt. (Q) Haina Franco (MEX) 6-4 4-6 5-7
R3:
(1) Jenna Friedel (USA) d. Jena Cheng (CAN) 6-1 6-1
(9) Ariana Rahmanparast (CRC) d. Tina Kreinis (CAN) 6-4 4-6 6-2

Proflyer98
Feb 17th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Kat Kopcalic recovered from a back injury which plagued since the Rogers Junior Tennis Championships from last year, she has begun training and should start playing tournaments again. Source: I know her on a personal level :)

Sportgal1
Feb 18th, 2014, 07:04 AM
Kat Kopcalic recovered from a back injury which plagued since the Rogers Junior Tennis Championships from last year, she has begun training and should start playing tournaments again. Source: I know her on a personal level :)

Nice, thanks for letting us know! A few years ago she seemed at the forefront of the 1998 girls, but then she just seemed to disappear. Hopefully she can make a nice comeback, it would be good to see her up there with Johanson.

Proflyer98
Feb 18th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Nice, thanks for letting us know! A few years ago she seemed at the forefront of the 1998 girls, but then she just seemed to disappear. Hopefully she can make a nice comeback, it would be good to see her up there with Johanson.

Ya I hope so to, she just started training in January, I expect her to comeback to tournaments in maybe early spring around april/march.

Sportgal1
Mar 23rd, 2014, 07:10 AM
Congrats to Gloria Liang for winning a G1 in the Phillipines this week! Nice to see her back on track. Should take her well into the top 100, probably close to 60!!!

Sportgal1
Apr 12th, 2014, 02:31 AM
Somewhat exciting week occurred this week at the Canadian juniors G5! Kopcalic was back in action and made the quarters before losing to the 3rd seed. Petrick was also back in juniors singles action, losing in the quarters to 1st seed Broomfield. There was a 13 year old in the semis (Ramasamy) and we will have our first ( I believe ) 2001 girl ranked in Manolescu. Final is defending champion Velehorschi vs. top seeded Broomfield.

G5 32nd All Canadian Junior Championships

QF:
(1) Ayan Broomfield (CAN) d. (8) Charlotte PETRICK (CAN) 6-3 6-3
(3) Anna DOLLAR (USA) d. (7) Katarina KOPCALIC (CAN) 6-3 6-3
Brindtha Ramasamy (CAN) d. (6) Mimi Levine (USA) 6-2 6-1
(5) Teona Velehorschi (CAN) d. Katarzyna KUBICZ (POL) 6-4 4-6 7-6(4)
SF:
(1) Ayan Broomfield (CAN) d. (3) Anna DOLLAR (USA) 6-2 6-2
(5) Teona Velehorschi (CAN) d. Brindtha Ramasamy (CAN) 6-0 6-2
F:
(1) Ayan Broomfield (CAN) vs. (5) Teona Velehorschi (CAN)