PDA

View Full Version : *~ Indian Wells Thread ~*

ghosts
Mar 7th, 2004, 02:11 PM
First time since 2002 when we have two Bulgarians into a WTA tournament :bounce: :hearts:

Good luck Sesil and Maggie :p ;)

crazillo
Mar 7th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Yes, it is really a rare thing.

dido22
Mar 7th, 2004, 10:21 PM
We know that they can do in USA :)

ghosts
Mar 8th, 2004, 08:12 AM
dido, radvam se che naminavash nasam ;)

King Aaron
Mar 8th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Best of luck Sesil! :D

crazillo
Mar 8th, 2004, 03:48 PM
And the third is Krivencheva.

bgbgbg
Mar 8th, 2004, 04:17 PM
well, Svetlana is 0-6 this year and 0-8 in last 8 tournaments, so it will be wonderful if she repeats that 64 61 against Martinez-Granadoz from Gorizia last year ;) :)

ghosts
Mar 8th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Honestly I cannot believe she can beat Martinez-Granados but salutes to her for still trying to play Tier I's :)

crazillo
Mar 10th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Maggie plays doubles with Liezel, I guess they will pair up as long as Ai isnīt back on the tour. Hopefully they can play in Miami, too.

ghosts
Mar 10th, 2004, 11:46 AM
yes I hope they will be able to defend their doubles crown from Miami :D

ghosts
Mar 11th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Sesil continues to impress!! Defeats Stevenson 62 26 61 in R1 :bigclap: :hug:

Maggie will meet Benesova in R2 :)

ghosts
Mar 11th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Talented teens make successful debuts at Indian Wells
Thursday March 11, 07:02 PM

INDIAN WELLS, United States (AFP) - Sesil Karatancheva and Alisa Kleybanova may be the youngest players in the Indian Wells tournament draw, but that didn't stop them from making their WTA Tour debuts successful ones.

The two 14-year-olds recorded three-set victories over their more experienced opponents on Wednesday, advancing to the second round of the 2.1 million dollar WTA event.

"I am so excited this is something I really wanted to do," said Karatancheva, of Bulgaria.

Karatancheva, who is just 14 years, seven months, beat American Alexandra Stevenson 6-2, 2-6, 6-1 in an evening match at the main 16,100-seat stadium.

"When I found out I was playing Alexandra Stevenson I was really nervous. Then when I got out on there and saw all the seats I thought 'My God'.

"I feel like I want to do something special, something that has never been done before. I want to be the first to do something (in tennis)."

With that, wild card entry Karatancheva then predicted she would win the Indian Wells event.

A bold statement, maybe, but it is that same confidence that has allowed her to break into the top rung of ladies professional tennis at an age when most teenagers are still dreaming of driving a car.

"I'm a Leo, and so I'm always right and never wrong. My dad and I have big battles over that. I do what I want. I need to change that about myself," said Karatancheva.

Told Jennifer Capriati made the final of a WTA tournament at age 13, Karatancheva said, "I'm going to beat that."

Russian teen Kleybanova rallied to beat Jelena Kostanic of Croatia 2-6, 6-0, 7-5.

Kleybanova advances to play 10th seed Anna Smashnova-Pistolesi in the second round.

Karatancheva moves on to face Spanish 17th seed Magui Serna.

"I have no idea who that is. It doesn't matter to me who I play. I play the way I know I can that is good enough for me," she said.

King Aaron
Mar 12th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Well done Sesil and good luck against Magui. :yeah:

crazillo
Mar 12th, 2004, 10:14 PM
GL both Bulgarians.

ghosts
Mar 14th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Colorful Bulgarian teenager spices up tournament

KEN PETERS, AP Sports Writer
Saturday, March 13, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(03-13) 16:08 PST INDIAN WELLS, Calif. (AP) --

With the brashness of youth, 14-year-old Sesil Karatancheva spoke in no uncertain terms about how she intends to soundly beat her next opponent.

The teenager's mentor and coach, Nick Bollettieri, listened and cringed.

Bollettieri, who coached Monica Seles, believes he has another future star in Karatancheva, although he may sometimes feels like slapping a muzzle on the effusive youngster from Sofia, Bulgaria.

A wild card making her debut on the WTA Tour, Karatancheva stormed back from a 5-3 deficit in the third set Saturday to take a 6-4, 2-6, 7-5 victory over 25th-ranked Magui Serna, the No. 17 seed at Indian Wells.

Karatancheva, ranked 282nd, next faces Maria Sharapova of Russia in the third round on Monday. Sharapova is No. 24 and seeded 16th.

"I'm saying I can kick her (butt) off," said Karatancheva, who accused Sharapova of ducking a recent practice match against her at Bollettieri's tennis academy in Florida.

"I was like, `Whatever. I'm going to get you,"' Karatancheva said.

Sharapova, told of the remarks, does some training at the academy but said she wasn't scheduled to play Karatancheva there and really doesn't know much about her.

"I'm sure she's a great young player. There are many right now. But I'm going to wait until Monday. It (Karatancheva's comments) don't bother me at all," said Sharapova, herself only 16.

Bollettieri likes Karatancheva's spirit -- and potential.

"I believe I have another No. 1," he said. "But she's so young now and too boastful."

Bollettieri said Karatancheva plays more of a power game than Seles did, and "she knows no fear."

The coach shook his head and said Karatancheva is awful in practice: "When you tell her to hit it softer, she hits it harder. That's her way."

The colorful Karatancheva, who has attended school some in the United States, speaks English like a regular American teen, liberally sprinkling in "You know" and "like."

She hated tennis when she first started playing in Sofia when she was five, saying, "I thought this is the most ridiculous, boring unbelievable game anybody every made in this world, OK?

"Why am I wasting my time instead of going to the movies, playing with my friends?"

As she got better, she noticed people were congratulating her, her parents were happy, and "you get everything you want."

"I was like, `Yeah, why not?"' Karatancheva said, grinning. "When I got to the age of 11, I was like, `You know what, that's the thing I want to make my life with. That's the thing I'm going to (use to) prove I'm something in this world."'

She has won several minor tournaments, including one in Greece and another that she described as her big shot so far, saying, "I won $50,000 in China."

ghosts
Mar 14th, 2004, 09:44 AM
March 13, 2004

Q. Could you tell your story.
SESIL KARATANCHEVA: Okay, let me start. I still can't believe I won. Let's make it clear from now. It was unbelievable. It was unbelievable. I was down 5-3 in the third set, then 5-4, 30-Love down. You know what, I didn't came all the way to California to lose. I just got myself together. I said to myself, "No more misses, just concentrate on your game," and it worked.
I guess mentally I got my game up. I didn't give up. I got myself together. I put everything, and just got the most unbelievable result I have for now. The 25th in the world, I mean, I'm still kind of shocked.
But, you know, that's what I came for.

Q. How many tournaments have you played and how many more can you play this year?
SESIL KARATANCHEVA: Okay, I played by the rules that are today, I have right to play seven tournaments. That includes only one WTA tournament, what means from 75 up like. So basically it says that I have to have the right to play only one WTA, but only by wildcard or feed-up. So that's the last one.
I've already played six tournaments, so that's the last tournament I can play until I turn 15 on August 8th.

Q. Have you ever played a player like Serna who has so many different spins and varieties?
SESIL KARATANCHEVA: You know, before I left for here, I played against a guy that had like very similar game to hers. I don't really know his name, but he was my age, 14. He had really good first serve. He would play top spins. He would play slices. He would come in the net. And I lost, I really did, I lost two straight sets, 6-3, 6-4.
The thing that he had and she didn't that I didn't expect when would he hit the ball and when would he won't. With her, I can kind of like get to know when she's going to hit, when she's going to keep the ball in play. Him, you just hit a ball from nowhere, then just not hit the ball.
You know, it's hard to know, especially against a guy, what he's going to do. They're just, I don't know, different kind of type of players.

Q. Would you like to tell your story from the beginning in tennis. SESIL KARATANCHEVA: I started when I was five and a half. I'm telling you right now I hated tennis. I thought this is the most ridiculous, boring, unbelievable game anybody ever made in this world, okay? It wasn't even funny. I'm like, "Why am I wasting my time instead of going to the movies, playing with my friends?"
Then when I started getting better eventually, you know, when I started actually winning some matches, it was like, "Hey, that's not that bad." People come tell you congratulations, parents are happy, you get everything you want, that's all I need. I was like, "Yeah, why not?"
Basically like the age of seven, I start liking play tennis. By the age of nine, I start actually want to play more and more. When I got like the age of 11, I was like, "You know what, that's the thing I want to make my life with. That's the thing I'm going to prove I'm something in this world."

Q. Where was all this happening?
SESIL KARATANCHEVA: Back home, Bulgaria.

Q. What city?
SESIL KARATANCHEVA: Sofia, the capital.
Then when I was 11, my dad was always, by the age of 14, 15, need to prove in the pros that you're something. Then I decided start playing ITF. I did pretty well. I did pretty well, won a couple grade three tournaments when I was 11. Then when I turned 12, I decided when I like turned 13 to go play under-18. I got the ranking. I got into the main draw.
Then last year -- no, not the last year, the year before, December, I went to Eddie Herr. I didn't do good. I lost first round. But then I saw Nick. My dad was, "Go talk to people. Speak to him."
I'm like, "Dad, that's Nick Bollettieri. You just don't go to speak to him; you have to have like a special request to go talk to him."
I just went. I was like, "Mr. Bollettieri."
He was like open, really nice. He was like, "Yeah, hello."
I was like, "Whoa, really nice."
I was like, "How much will cost for me to go to Bollettieri tennis academy?"
He said, "Three weeks for free. I'm going to give you a scholarship, see how things going to go."
I still don't know what I did. I still don't know what game I played then, but he liked it.
He was like, "You can win everyone. You can have scholarship. I'll be coach. I'll travel with you."
Then last year I decided to go start playing WTA tournaments. My first WTA tournament I won in Greece when I was 14. That's when I started. I won two more tournaments, one more 10,000, and then one 50,000. That was my big shot, when I won the 50,000 in China.
Then I came back. You know, honestly from the whole academy, even how unbelievable it sounds, Nick the only one who thought I would win. Every single coach was saying, "She's too young. She's just 'boom boom,' she doesn't have anything in her head. All she knows is smack the hell out of the ball. No way she going to make it."
So, you know what, I went, I made it. I came back. Nick was, "I knew you were going to make it."
He supported me. Then I got offer from IMG to sign a contract. It was unbelievably excited.
Now Nick is my coach. I have a contract with IMG. Everything's going good for me. I showed that I came here and I didn't screw myself up, I actually did something. I'm proud of it.

Q. Did you speak English when you left Sophia? SESIL KARATANCHEVA: Yes, I did. I know, I am really talkative right now.

Q. How old were you when you left?
SESIL KARATANCHEVA: I've been going back and forth a lot when I was young - Turkey, Greece, listening to Spice Girls, 24/7. Trust me, you learn it quick. It's like boom, boom, boom. That's how I started basically. I never went to school teach it, never, ever.

Q. You go to school now, don't you?
SESIL KARATANCHEVA: Yes, I do. But two years ago, I was taking school in United States and I passed the 8th grade. Now I'm like a senior back home, I'm supposed to graduate in December.

Q. Did you play with the Maleeva sisters?
SESIL KARATANCHEVA: You know what, I've never played her, like practice or in tournament. But we're friends. We talk. You know, I mean, nothing personal, nothing special. Just, you know, "Hi, hello, how are you?"

Q. They don't inspire you?
SESIL KARATANCHEVA: Our culture is a very special one. People do not want you to succeed. People want to screw you over. People do not want -- if a parent -- if a parent has a player, for example, back home, a father like my father, for example, like there's a lot of parents that have daughters, sons, when they see somebody succeeding instead of theirs, they're not, "She's from Bulgaria, come on, let's go, she can make it." They're, "I hope she brokes her knee so she doesn't make it."
For example, my Federation never did anything for me. They even destroyed a lot of my junior tournaments. I'll go in a tournament, I'll go all the way to Italy, play a tournament, then I won't be in it. My Federation wouldn't even like sign me in it.
So, you know, it's nothing that I really expect. I like my country because I'm born in it. But, you know, I go there only because my family is there and because it's just still my country. But the people are not nice.

Q. Will you play Federation Cup for Bulgaria?
SESIL KARATANCHEVA: You know what, they still haven't offered me. But I believe after this, you know, they'll be -- they'll knock on my door.

Maggie&MomoFan
Mar 14th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Maggie!! :mad: you must become a threat on more hardcourt!!! so much tournies are on hard court

crazillo
Mar 14th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Yes, I donīt understand why she plays good on Indoor Hartcourts.....
I think that she is not agressive enough on HC.

King Aaron
Mar 14th, 2004, 06:24 PM
:D :) Well done Sesil.

bgbgbg
Mar 14th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Teens to take trash-talk tussle to the tennis arena
By Bill Scott, dpa =

Indian Wells, California (dpa) - Trash-talking Bulgarian Sesil
Karatanchev is keen to prove a point against the reigning teen queen
of tennis in what is shaping up as a clash between baby divas at the
4.88-million-dollar Masters Series.

For a 14-year-old labouring under the restraints of the WTA
Tour's age elibigility rules, it will be a third-round match Monday
with Russian charmer Maria Sharapova.

The photogenic Russian - billed as the next Anna and already a
tournament titleholder - could end up the young east European
outsider's last opponent as she is forced to wait for her 15th
birthday on August 8 before playing again.

On that date the Americanised blonde from Sofia who learned her
rapid-fire English from Spice Girls songs and who earned a try-out
in 2002 from famed coach Nick Bollettieri just by walking up and
asking will be able to play again after already using up her quota
of seven tournaments as a 14-year-old.

But Karatanchev, who belts the ball much in the same heavy style
as tennis darling Sharapova, has stirred up what looks to some like
discontent among the Bollettieri camp by accusing Sharapova of
ducking out of a practise match a few weeks ago in Florida.

Sharapova, a recognised star at age 16 and ranked 24th in the
world, is also a darling of Florida tennis guru Bollettieri.

Karatanchev revealed that she said she would "kick her ass"
during the missed matchup with the fast-track Russian tipped to
become a power in the sport.

"I said it, I meant it and I'm not sorry about it. She's too
scared to come to the court, that's her problem," Karatanchev said
after explaining that she learned from her agent two hours before
the practice match that Sharapova called it off.

Sharapova, the beneficiary of two more years of maturity and some
time on the WTA Tour, showed far more grace in her reply.

"She's a great young player, but I'll wait to play her on Monday.
"I had said I wanted to play some pupils at the academy in February,
but we never set a time or anything."

She said she wasn't bothered or offended by what Karatanchev
said.

"Tennis is a business, I know that. But I just can't wait until
Monday to play, I want to beat every one I face," she said. "I don't
know here but I've seen her play. For me, my business is on the
court."

Karatanchev booked her spot in what could end up a grudge match
by defeating Spain's Magui Serna 6-4, 2-6, 7-5, while 16th seed
Sharapova overcame a mid-match letdown to stop Italy's Flavia
Pennetta 6-3, 4-6, 6-4.

azza
Mar 15th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Omg Sesil that interview was really good to read :hearts: :drool: :bowdown:

ghosts
Mar 15th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Sesil's match is today from 19.30cet on Eurosport (20.30 bg time) :) ;)

King Aaron
Mar 15th, 2004, 01:54 PM
What happened to her 'a'? ;)

crazillo
Mar 15th, 2004, 10:07 PM
She got male. *lol* ^^ It is like with my sister here, she is written Zhivkov instead of Zhivkova.

King Aaron
Mar 16th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Sesil lost in 3 sets. :sad: :(

ghosts
Mar 16th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Sesil's post match interview :) ;) another nice one :yeah:

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Sesil.
Q. Was her posterior a little too high to kick?
SESIL KARATANCHEVA: Hey, she played unbelievable. I have to give her the credit. She played very well.
You know, I mean, I did everything I could. In fact, I could have played better. But, you know what, that's my first bigger tournament. I'm 14. I have probably 30 years more in front of me. We'll play again someday. I hope I'll do better then.
But she played good. You know, I played good, too. So I guess she just played better.

Q. Were you surprised at how well she played?
SESIL KARATANCHEVA: No, no, I wasn't. Actually, I expected. But, you know, I probably thought I had the first set, but I can say more that it was kind of more mental. I was 1-1, 30-15 up, second set. Then just got a little bit shaky, kind of lost my concentration, got a little bit start thinking about it, you know. I could have been up 2-1 instead of being down 2-1. That's the key moment that kind of put me down.

Q. What about in the third set?
SESIL KARATANCHEVA: Third set, you know, I was down 4-1, come back 4-3, 40-30. That's the second game that I kind of start thinking about, you know, could have been 4-All, not a set down, split sets.
So the third set, I kind of start thinking about what could have happened, that I actually couldn't have been playing a third set right now, actually match could have been over already. So that's the thing that kind of got me like mental.
You know, I tried to come back, I really did, when I was down. I really tried to come back. But, you know, I saved three match points. But, you know, at the end, I just got tired. I mean, couldn't -- I mean, I was still running, that's for sure. But, you know, I just didn't -- I really didn't believe. I wanted to come back, but personally I didn't believe I could come back.
But, you know, still have time. Play again. Nothing happened. I mean, third round, my first pro tournament. Really, I had the goal to go a lot more further. But, you know, it's a fact, they still do good. You know, it's not getting me down. It's not getting me up. Just keep on looking forward, practicing hard, and see what will happen after.

Q. Did you exchange words after the match?
SESIL KARATANCHEVA: No, no. We haven't. I mean, what were we supposed to say? I mean, she played a wonderful match. I played good. You know, people enjoyed watching. That's the most important thing. I mean, they come here, you know, give their money, waste their time to come watch us.
The important thing is they enjoy it. That's the most important thing. We enjoyed ourselves. So nothing more I can do.

Q. Does it mean something to you that you made kind of a name for yourself here? Does that feel good for you? People know who you are now?
SESIL KARATANCHEVA: Well, it does. But, you know, it would even feel better if I would have win. But, you know, what, I proved that, you know, even 14, you can still fight with the big ones and that, you know, I have a lot more to do. You know, I mean, I can say that people going to wait for me to play my next tournament. You know, they're excited about it. I'm excited, myself.
So, you know, I'm just going to watch forward to it.

Q. When will that be? You can't play again until you're 15, is that right?
SESIL KARATANCHEVA: Yes, August 8th. Well, I'm probably going to play the Luxilon Cup, that the winner gets wildcard for the next year's Nasdaq Open. Then I'm going to probably play the slams, the junior slams. Hopefully when I turn 15, I'll probably play another WTA tournament so I can get points to qualify for the US Open.

Q. Do you think this will be a letdown to go back to playing Juniors from this? After this tournament, will it be a letdown, do you think?
SESIL KARATANCHEVA: You know, I'm not -- I'm going to be exact as much as confident in my junior tournaments this year because everybody tournament is important, no matter what division is it, or what grade is it. Because, you know, every tournament needs appreciation, every tournament needs to be respected, as every another tournament.
Because, you know, I can say this tournament is unbelievable for me and that, you know -- you know, I really want to say thank you to the tournament director because, you know, he gave me a chance that I will remember the rest of my life. This is a chance actually got me to be where I am right now. You know, even I lost, I still, you know, beat some unbelievable players. You know, I really need say thank you to him because this is a chance that I really, really will remember.

Q. Do you want to try to get the world title in Juniors?
SESIL KARATANCHEVA: Of course. Of course.

Q. This year?
SESIL KARATANCHEVA: Yeah. I mean, if I go, I'm going for the title. Of course, I am, because I'm going to win it, of course. Because, you know, I don't want to lose, that's for sure. You know, I'm going out there to win. No matter if it's Juniors or not, yes, I am going for the title.

Q. Based on today, what part of your game do you think you need to work on most and improve?
SESIL KARATANCHEVA: That will be more -- I don't -- I haven't really thought about it yet. But if I would have to think about it, it would be definitely the serves. Yes, the serves. Because that kind of -- that Game 4-1 -- 4-3, 30-40 down, you know, I could have have a lot more better serve and probably the score wouldn't be the score it is right now. So the serve would be very good moment to practice on.
More -- I guess just being more, you know, aggressive on the returns, even though she had really good serves, even though, I think I could have do more with the serves. But, you know, have time to practice that one, too.

Q. How did you feel just before you shook hands with her?
SESIL KARATANCHEVA: I felt -- I just felt that, you know, I could have win. That's the first thing. I was like, "God, I would have win. I had her right there 6-3, me, you know."
But then I was like, "You know what, I'm going to keep on going. These people here today enjoyed watching us. I think they deserve respect. Just smile, keep on going."

Q. Normally in tennis when people respect their opponents, they look at them when they shake hands with them.
SESIL KARATANCHEVA: I did look at her. I did. I had nothing to say to her. She won, but that doesn't mean I'm happy she won about it. You know, she played unbelievable. Hey, that's all I'm going to say.

Q. What's the coolest thing about coming to America as such a young person? What is the coolest thing about Bulgaria?
SESIL KARATANCHEVA: Coolest thing about Bulgaria, you know, I was born there. I was born there. That's where I started my tennis. And, you know, I have my family is there. My friends are there.
But, I mean, I love my country, I do. I really do. It's just sometimes I don't really understand the people that are there. I mean, I just have people calling me saying that they have people putting money against me, against my match, against Serna. You know, just different way to say, "Good luck."
THE MODERATOR: Thank you.