PDA

View Full Version : Anna versus Venus Again!

TSequoia01
Feb 19th, 2002, 10:11 PM
Anna gets another opportunity to determine how far and fast her improvement has come. In a second round match at Dubai, she again goes up against Venus. It has been my experience, that the more you play Venus the tougher it becomes. So I predict tough sledding (since we are in the winter olympics) for the Russian native. Anna will win a tournie (tier IV) this year. :cool:

tennisfreak
Feb 19th, 2002, 10:37 PM
Venus vs Anna again AND

a straight victory for Venus, again -------
nothing more to say.

joe
Feb 19th, 2002, 11:37 PM
--------ditto----------

Volcana
Feb 19th, 2002, 11:46 PM
Anna actually has the weapons to slow Venus down. She can slice off both sides, and she's fast. If she can consistently keep the ball low, and make Venus generate her own pace, Anna could make it interesting. Of course, the way Anna actually plays is nothing like that.

destructo_girl
Feb 19th, 2002, 11:53 PM
I think Anna CAN beat Venus.

The problem is she can't seem to keep it together during the match.

But all that's going to turn around very soon. Anna's going to win this one. And then go on to win the whole tournament.

:D :D :D

A4
Feb 20th, 2002, 12:42 AM
Oh, d-g! You made me smile. But I like your enthusiasm though.
Go Venus all the same.

joao
Feb 20th, 2002, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Volcana
Anna actually has the weapons to slow Venus down. She can slice off both sides, and she's fast. If she can consistently keep the ball low, and make Venus generate her own pace, Anna could make it interesting. Of course, the way Anna actually plays is nothing like that.

You should send a private e-mail to Anna :)

nikita771
Feb 20th, 2002, 01:59 AM
I am actually looking forward to Anna winning her 1st tournament. I just don't want her to beat Venus in the process. I'm going to be rooting for Venus all the way. I'll have to support Anna in another tournament.

disposablehero
Feb 20th, 2002, 02:29 AM
Just on a lark:

What if by some miracle Anna does beat Venus? When next weeks rankings come out, Anna will have beaten SEVEN #1's.

silvercharm
Feb 20th, 2002, 03:45 AM
yes, miracles can happen--including AnnaK finally winning a real tourney...

anton
Feb 20th, 2002, 03:54 AM
go venus!

moon
Feb 20th, 2002, 04:37 AM
actually dh, Venus technically won't be #1 until Monday, so if Anna wins, it won't count as a victory over the #1, just the #1 seed. ;)

ajayares
Feb 20th, 2002, 04:41 AM
Actually Anna has only beaten Martina when she was ranked #1 at the time..

However what dh is refering too, is that she would have beaten the past 7 players to reach #1 (not actually #1 at the time she beat them, but have been #1)

Steffi, Monica, Martina, Arantxa, Lindsay and Jennifer

victory1
Feb 20th, 2002, 04:42 AM
I actually agree with Volcana, I saw Anna play live at the Erickson in Miami a few years ago, I thought she was amazing, if anyone told me back then that Anna would still be chasing her 1st WTA single titles a few years later, I would not believe it.

Martian KC
Feb 20th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Good luck to Anna!! Don't mind the nay sayers!:rolleyes: :cool: :bounce:

Althea
Feb 20th, 2002, 05:37 AM
I feel the same nikita771:)

btw you have a beautiful name :D

Linton
Feb 20th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Yeah cmon Anna Show how the russians can do it!

destructo_girl
Feb 20th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by A4
Oh, d-g! You made me smile. But I like your enthusiasm though.Thanks a lot A4. Cos thats all there is about me, really. There's no knowledge, so I have no idea if what I'm saying is true or not. But there's alway the enthusiasm. Its there through anything.

Enthusiasm rocks! Who needs anything else, when you have ENTHUSIASM?!

;)

Damage
Feb 20th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Anna...
All the best in the match against Venus!
Good Luck!

saki
Feb 20th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by TSequoia01
It has been my experience, that the more you play Venus the tougher it becomes.

Really? When was your experience playing Venus then?

As for Anna, yes of course she could beat Venus. But she needs to keep her head together & use all the variety that she can. Will it happen? Not bloody likely.

TSequoia01
Feb 20th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Sorry Saki never had the pleasure of playing Venus. Would love to though. Lets trade the word experience with observation. Yeah it's been my observation that the more an opponent plays Venus the tougher it becomes to defeat her. Happy......good. :cool:

GrandSlammed
Feb 20th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Variety this, variety that... I don't see it, and plenty others don't either.

I'll agree with you TSequoia01. Seven matches... seven wins for Venus. The last four meetings with Williams winning in straight sets.

Cybelle Darkholme
Feb 20th, 2002, 04:04 PM
I just don't understand. Why hasn't this girl won a tournament? I mean she used to be a top ten player! How in the world can you get to be one of the ten best in your sport without winning something! Can you imagine a basketball or football or baseball team never winning a game, ever! I just don't get it.

I've seen her play, the girl has moves, she's got the abilities to win a tournament. What is the problem here? Look at the up and comers on her heels who are now in the top ten and have won tournaments:kim, jelena, henin! Now when people knock other players for not devoting time to tennis she is the only case where it is deserved. If she is serious about tennis maybe she should knock the movie-video-commercial stuff off until she gets a winning form back. I mean even if she had beaten venus, who cares if she can't capitalize and win the tournament! It's been way to long for her. She needs to do something drastic or risk becoming a joke in her own sport. Yes she can play, she has game, but that doesn't amount to much if you can't pull through and string together several wins.

Who is her coach!!! Is her mother really her coach?!! Maybe its time to look elsewhere, hmmm? Agassi just dumped brad, if i were her I'd snatch his cute butt up with the quickness before Serena gets him.

disposablehero
Feb 20th, 2002, 06:36 PM
From today's score, it looks like any problem with Anna's foot is not serious. We hope.

saki
Feb 20th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by GrandSlammed
Variety this, variety that... I don't see it, and plenty others don't either.

What do you mean? That Anna doesn't have variety or that it's not enough?

She does have a great deal of variety in her game. She can slug it out from the baseline, she can volley better than almost anyone on tour, her drop shots & approach shots are excellent, her serve isn't even that bad when it goes in. The problem is that she just doesn't seem able to keep it all together. She really needs a coach. And a sports psychologist.