PDA

View Full Version : Venus Williams, Martina Hingis, Monica Seles, Kim Clijsters...

disposablehero
Feb 19th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Justine Henin, Jelena Dokic, Serena Williams, Amelie Mauresmo.

These are just some of the players who have a chance to become the 6th Roland Garros champion in 6 years.

Amazingly, during the recent 5 for 5, NONE of those 5 players have been to the Final another time during that 5 year period. Look for Martina, Monica, and Kim to try and put an end to THAT trend.

Beige
Feb 19th, 2002, 07:05 PM
I look forward to RG. There isn't a clear cut favorite and there's always the possibility that we could possibly have another Iva Majoli type sneak through. Bring it on!

Bright Red
Feb 19th, 2002, 08:09 PM
I didn't realize that RG's seen different champions for each of the past five years. I guess that's why the red clay is seen as being unpredictable.

Hopefully I'll see (in person, might I add) either Venus or Serena become the 6th champion!

disposablehero
Feb 20th, 2002, 12:24 AM
And given the number of serious contenders, we could easily see 7 champions in 7 years.

disposablehero
Feb 20th, 2002, 07:03 AM
NINE different Finalists in the past 5 years. Martina Hingis twice, everyone else once.

Compare that to only 4 for the US Open.

destructo_girl
Feb 20th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Wow, ^that^ is a pretty amazing stat.

Robbie.
Feb 20th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Another great stat: prior to 1997, three women had won the last 10 French Opens - Steffi (5), Arantxa (2) and Monica (3)....and during that time their were only four other finalists other than these 3....Zvereva, Pierce, Fernandez and Martina N all once each.

That means of the 20 available final spots between 1987-1996, Arantxa, Monica and Steffi filled 16 of them...talk about domination :eek:

Hopefully Martina can win it this year....;)

Williams Rulez
Feb 20th, 2002, 12:16 PM
This proves something - the tour lacks clay court dominant players. I think we'll see a new champion again this year...

Hopefully Venus or Serena :D

Zamboni
Feb 20th, 2002, 01:21 PM
wow, I hope we get one different finalist again! And Martina again, who will finally win it ;) :bounce: