PDA

View Full Version : Kim will play less to spare arm!

tfannis
Feb 19th, 2002, 04:39 PM
I got this from the belgian ceefax:

Kim Clijsters leaves saturday for the US to play three tournaments. She hasn't totaly recovered yet from her injury at her right upperarm, but she will be able to play. The doctors and Kim decided to plan some more restpauzes instead of resting for three months ( :eek: it's really serious! ) She won't play doubles anymore and she'll have an intensive exercise - and preventionprogram.

Poor Kim, just when she closed the gap with the top 4, she will not be able to defend all her points. I hope she does well in the few tournaments she plays.
The three in the US, will they be Scottsdale, Indian Wells and ...?

Cybelle Darkholme
Feb 19th, 2002, 04:45 PM
i hope those doctors are looking out for her best interest and not some national pride thing. sometimes its just better to rest and recuperate and get in some therapy rather than playing and making things worse. better to come back healthy with some momentum than play half injuried with a chance of making things worse.

Mazza
Feb 19th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Damn, this is getting really serious :( :sad: . Shes only 18 and is already having to quite doubles and now having to have all these special programmes so early on in her career. Hopefully she will have a good US Hardcourt season at Scottsdale, IW and Miami but I would rather if she took the break to fully heal as if shes not 100% shes only gonna make it worse.
Get well Kimmie!! :)

Justinator
Feb 19th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Yeah, it's quite serious. :( Lei Clijsters said if he would have been at the Australian Open, he would have told Kim to withdraw immediately.

I hope this won't get it worse, maybe she sould let her arm heal totally instead of these restpauzes. But then again, I think she and the doctors know what they are doing.

Good luck Kim!

irma
Feb 19th, 2002, 05:00 PM
I hope it`s the right decission, I don`t trust docters anymore since 97 and Kim is no docter so she probarly only listens to what they say :(
I just hope it will not get worse:sad:

tfannis
Feb 19th, 2002, 06:33 PM
I heard different things about the injury: Is there a stress fracture or is there only a possibility to a stress fracture? If it is, she should watch out or she might have the same probs as Anna had.
Just imagine: tumbling, tumbling, tumbling

BelgianGirl
Feb 19th, 2002, 09:06 PM
I don't really know what to think about this either: at one side it's great we will see her playing again soon, but on the other hand it's no good news that the injury isn't totally healed. I hope these doctors know what they're doing (but I think the Clijsters family takes this serious enough to get another opinion or something if they doubt this.)

Rollo
Feb 19th, 2002, 09:14 PM
Well playing less can't hurt. If these girls would only start out playing less than 20 events a year instead of waiting for an injury.... Best of luck to Kim, and I'm glad she didn't try to play through this:)

tennisfreak
Feb 19th, 2002, 09:29 PM
Oh no! Lindsay has a serious injury, which makes me suffer already for a long time and now I have to be worried about Kim, too. :sad: It´s no great tennis-year until now. (at least for me)
:sad: :sad: :sad:

I hope Kim knows exactly, what´s right and what´s wrong for her with this injury.

Warrior
Feb 19th, 2002, 09:41 PM
Poor Kim!:sad:

veryborednow
Feb 19th, 2002, 09:51 PM
My present to Kim :)

http://www.yestheyrefake.net/brachioplasty/brachio_after2.jpg

use it well :p

tfannis
Feb 19th, 2002, 10:08 PM
That's a left arm, dear vbn. no use.

thefreedesigner
Feb 20th, 2002, 09:54 AM
I think Kim will be fine.

She played a lot last year. She's too good a player to need to play that much this year.

I doubt she will lose anything by cutting her schedule down. I would just fear for when she stops playing tennis, like when she's older could be a slight problem. But then I'm no doctor.

Brian Stewart
Feb 20th, 2002, 04:30 PM
I hope she plays it smart. If she starts having any problems, take a break.

That whole statement about them opting for shorter rest breaks, rather than one longer one (which might be needed) is discomforting. I, too, don't trust sports doctors; since 1996, when a certain player had her wrist injury misdiagnosed about 3 times before winding up in surgery. I hope Kim fares much better.

Keith
Feb 20th, 2002, 04:54 PM
I think about Lindsay...she sat out a lot last year with her knee..and it seemed she put off surgery, which she wound up having anyway. Perhaps Kim should get another opinion. Or two or three.