gentenaire
Feb 19th, 2002, 08:42 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/scotland/newsid_1828000/1828318.stm

itsallaboutinis
Feb 19th, 2002, 09:21 AM
That would be...dare I say, Awesome:eek:

Williams Rulez
Feb 19th, 2002, 09:21 AM
But that really depends on whether Wimbledon will want the roof, of if they wish to keep to their traditions... :rolleyes:

marshmellow
Feb 19th, 2002, 09:23 AM
oh, it's about time...

the rain delays drive me crazy, especially when they have to reschedule matches and the courts and everything...

they better get them :fiery: :fiery: :bounce: :bounce: :fiery: :fiery:

Maajken
Feb 19th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Pfff wimby's not the same without rain delays

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 19th, 2002, 10:56 AM
I don't want a roof there ......

most of my girls play on outside courts so why should I get wet and see no tennis while others do :p

Williams Rulez
Feb 19th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Pffft.... its not our fault you have 43504580948504935 favourite tennis players :rolleyes: :p ;)

gentenaire
Feb 19th, 2002, 11:49 AM
We'll still have rain delays, only shorter ones.

And the chances of Conchita winning Wimbledon would diminish greatly with such a roof;)

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 19th, 2002, 12:02 PM
she hasn't got a chance now either..... even if it was on clay.

Justinator
Feb 19th, 2002, 12:44 PM
That would be great, but I don't really see it happening, Wimbledon, with all its traditions...

Beige
Feb 19th, 2002, 01:02 PM
How will the closed roof affect the surface? Any difference?

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 19th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Halle after one week of playing some matches under the roof resembles a potato field.

Wimbledon is a two week event and it would be disaster for the grass, cut up all over.

Sam L
Feb 19th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by TheBoiledEgg
Halle after one week of playing some matches under the roof resembles a potato field.

Exactly why they shouldn't have a roof!

It's only 2 weeks, why can't we put up with the rain? :confused: Afterall, it does make tournament unique and interesting! I mean if you're going to start changing things where's it going to end? No grass? Leave England?

veryborednow
Feb 19th, 2002, 03:25 PM
People just have to look at the state of the pitch at the Millenium Stadium to see exactly what would happen to the grass at Wimbledon.

Mud wrestling would fast become a more suitable sport ;) the grass cannot grow as well I suppose something to do with natural light...

Fingon
Feb 19th, 2002, 04:16 PM
no, I don't like it

when the grass gets wet, the surface is slower and the bouncing gets nuts.

That favours Justine and Martina.

Also, it seems to me Justine doesn't like to play indoors, to start off, she likes wearing her cap ;) but also she doesn't seem to feel too comfortable with a roof over her head.

Double Fault
Feb 19th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Presumably they'd need to erect some kind of floodlights if a roof were in operation.

I very much doubt the old fuddy-duddies on the Wimbledon committee will allow such a thing to ever happen.

MartianJoeyWinson
Feb 19th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Some smart alec (can't remember who it was), said they should have a removable court that comes in on rollers (a la that Korean stadium). Good idea in principle, but if you look at the surrounding areas near the main courts, vital parts of Wimbledon would have to be demolished and relocated, costing a ridiculous amount of money. Mind you the LTA may as well spend some money cos no-one has a bloody clue what the dough that they get from Wimbledon gets spent on.

A roof is a bad idea, look at Amsterdam Arena when fans put a cow on the pitch to show how bad it was...

There is another idea. Get rid of the grass and make Wimbledon a hardcourt tournament. Now think of the arguments that would cause!

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 19th, 2002, 05:47 PM
hard courts would mean a night session as well ;)

and the campers would get a real headache as those late leavers walk past around 12 (most be awake then anyway)

Bright Red
Feb 19th, 2002, 07:13 PM
It's 2002 already!

Get a roof.

-Sonic-
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:08 PM
the roof and floodlights would fuck up the grass and the soil royally.

Jakeev
Feb 22nd, 2002, 01:40 AM
I thought Wimbledon was looking into beginning later in June when the rainy season usually winds down?

To me this not only is better than spending money on a roof, but it gives the players a well-needed rest after just completing the French Open.

MartianJoeyWinson
Feb 22nd, 2002, 09:56 AM
It was actually said they were going to put it back two weeks to extend the grass court season and give a wider gap between the slams (which to me seems a perfect idea).

As for a roof on a grass court, it's just not possible unless they changed it to hardcourt. That'd put a roof over grass court tennis completely (metaphorically).

Martian Martin
Feb 22nd, 2002, 04:32 PM
Just can't happen, because the grass would completely cut up and be a farce after a few days.

Rain is all part of Wimby, in fact most outdoor tourneys have rain at some point, it just seems more that way at Wimby because it's a Slam and gets so much more coverage.

Kart
Feb 23rd, 2002, 04:16 AM
Seems to me that if Henman's match hadn't been rain interrupted then this idea would not even exist.

Can't say I approve of getting a roof, nor do I think it particularly necessary.

Oizo
Feb 23rd, 2002, 11:38 PM
I have to agree with Angelica :wavey: :cool: :bounce:

Double Fault
Feb 23rd, 2002, 11:44 PM
Good point Kart.