PDA

View Full Version : Six Interesting articles on Russina tennis.

the cat
Feb 28th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Here are 6 interesting tennis articles on Russian tennis. I hope you enjoy the articles. The articles range from young unknowns to the Russian Davis Cup stamp to an article painting Marat Safin as a tennis villian. But I think Safin is much too likable to be a tennis villain. :D I'm sure I wasn't the only American rooting for safin to beat his American opponents at the 2004 Australian Open. Too bad Marat didn't get to play an American in the 2004 Australian Open final. ;)

1) "Tennis, Everyone" is located at www.time.com/time/europe/magazine/article/0,13005,901030901-477901,00.html (http://www.time.com/time/europe/magazine/article/0,13005,901030901-477901,00.html)

2) "With capitalism, net gains Russia: Considered elitist under communism, tennis is growing popular as young players succeed in world competition" is located at www.cdi.org/russia/johnson/7221-7.cfm (http://www.cdi.org/russia/johnson/7221-7.cfm)

3) "Russia red-hot generation launch invasion of SW19" is located at www.cdi.org/russia/johnson/7242-9.cfm (http://www.cdi.org/russia/johnson/7242-9.cfm)

4) "Russian tennis triumphs" is located at www.cdi.org/russia/johnson/6597-6.cfm (http://www.cdi.org/russia/johnson/6597-6.cfm)

5) "Slice of history" is located at www.hindu.com/yw/2004/01/24/stories/2004012401470300.htm (http://www.hindu.com/yw/2004/01/24/stories/2004012401470300.htm)

6) "Safin's villainy a big plus for tennis" is located at www.yumasun.com/artman/publish/print/printer_9442.shtml (http://www.yumasun.com/artman/publish/print/printer_9442.shtml)

goldenlox
Feb 28th, 2004, 05:10 PM
This is interesting-

In 1992, after Tarpishchev, Yeltsin's coach and longtime confidant, founded the National Sports Foundation (nsf), Yeltsin gave it the right to import untaxed alcohol and tobacco. In the next four years, some $9 billion in revenues was allegedly diverted from the nsf. The ensuing scandal helped drive from power the Kremlin faction Tarpischev belonged to, though he has denied wrongdoing and no one has ever been charged. Moreover, tennis also makes a nice place to park ill-gotten gains. "The dirty money invested in courts seems more presentable than the dirty money just tucked away," says Izvestia's Zuyenko.

the cat
Feb 28th, 2004, 06:57 PM
I found that interesting too, GL. It's amazing that Russia under great financial hardship has made such great strides in building tennis facilities in recent years. It makes me wonder where they got the money from. But I suppose it really doesn't matter as long as the money was put to good use and not to line some fat cat's pockets as the beautiful Russian export model, actress and singer Milla Jovovich would say.

goldenlox
Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:37 PM
Russians have arrived thanks to Grandpa Yeltsin
Tue 2 March, 2004 17:22

By Robert Woodward

LONDON, March 2 (Reuters) - With five players in the top 20 and 10 in the top 50, Russia is taking over from the United States as the predominant force in women's tennis.

Belgium's Justine Henin-Hardenne and Kim Clijsters are at numbers one and two in the rankings. Below them there are more Russians than ever before climbing the ladder of success.

The highest-ranked Russian, Anastasia Myskina, believes this explosion of talent can be traced back to one person -- former president Boris Yeltsin who championed tennis during the 1990s.

"He changed everything, he brought tennis up from nowhere. He's kind of our grandpa," Myskina said.

"A lot of politicians started to play so a lot of money starting being around tennis and it became more popular.

"People started playing, a lot of people started believing in tennis players and that's why there are so many rich tennis clubs right now."

In this week's WTA rankings, there are five Russians and five Americans in the top 20, only the second time Russia has had an equal representation.

The first time, in August 2003, all five Americans were in the top eight and only two Russians were in the top 12.

Now four Russians and four Americans are in the top 12. Maria Sharapova is just outside the top 20, and is a good bet to be a top 10 player of the future, and Elena Bovina, ranked 28, climbed as high as 16th last year.

REMARKABLE GROWTH

It is a remarkable growth in influence unrivalled in its depth in recent women's tennis history.

Arantxa Sanchez Vicario led a mini-Spanish assault on the rankings in the 1990s and Steffi Graf was supported by fellow Germans Claudia Kohde-Kilsch and Anke Huber.

Otherwise, apart from a spell in the mid-1990s when France could muster four of the top 10 women, it's been America versus the rest.

While the Cold War raged, Soviet women players were a rarity - Olga Morozova in the 1970s and Natasha Zvereva in the 1980s were the only ones to make their mark until the Berlin Wall came down and Anna Kournikova arrived.

While Yeltsin's support was vital, Kournikova's appearance in the Wimbledon semi-finals in 1997, aged 16, convinced a lot of Russian parents that tennis offered their children a path to financial security.

Kournikova, now 22, has become something of a figure of fun because of her love of the spotlight and her inability to win a WTA title.

Many in the game believe Kournikova, absent from the tour for nearly a year, may never play again because of a back injury which did not prevent her appearing recently in the famous Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition alongside Serena Williams.

"Yeltsin brought sponsorship and people who wanted to give money to girls and Anna changed things a lot as well," says Myskina. "She was the one who began all these things.

the cat
Mar 2nd, 2004, 11:51 PM
Come here GL, I've got something for you! :kiss: Thanks for posting that article and keeping this thread going. :)

Anastasia Myskina is so nice! :angel: She generously gives credit to Boris Yeltsin and Anna Kournikova for playing major roles in the developement of tennis in Russia.

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:49 PM
No fears for top seed MyskinaAgence France-Presse
Doha, March 1http://www.hindustantimes.com/on/img/0.gif

Qatar Open defending champion Anastasia Myskina shrugged off fears on Monday of being used as a pawn in the brewing diplomatic spat between Russia and Qatar. Speaking on the sidelines of the 600,000 dollar event, Myskina said that she had no worries of being targeted while playing in Doha.

Qatar recently held two Russian agents and charged them with the killing of former Chechen president Zelimkhan Yandarbiyev in Doha.

In tat-for-tat detentions, Russia arrested two Qataris who were with the judo team transiting through a Moscow airport to a tournament in Serbia.

"I spoke to everybody concerned before coming here," said Myskina, who is seeded third in the tournament. "I was reassured that Doha is a very safe place, especially for sportspersons."

The world No 7 didn't mince her words while criticizing the Russian authorities for mixing politics with sports.

"I think it is wrong (what they did). Sports and politics shouldn't mix," said Myskina who also paid a visit to the World Table Tennis Team Championships currently underway in Doha.

"I spoke about the situation with the Russian table tennis team. We are all fine, no problems so far."

"The Moscow media is calling me every ten minutes to ask if I am okay," she laughed. "Some newspapers wrote that I would be arrested."

The Muscovite has a first round bye in the tournament and is not likely to see action until Wednesday.

Five Russians are playing in the tournament, including rising star and Dubai Open runner-up Svetlana Kuznetsova.

the cat
Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:40 PM
This is a frightening and scary story. :crying2: :mad: I hope the Russina's are okay. It's terribly sad that politics and the Chechen war has spilled over into the sports world. :sad: