PDA

View Full Version : I have to make an admission.

Volcana
Feb 19th, 2002, 05:41 AM
I have to make an admission.

If Venus Williams is ranked number one in the WTA on Feb. 25th, 2002, cross-my-fingers, knock-on-wood, there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-living-lock, then I will be very, very happy.

The circumstnces which could preclude this eventuality are all traigic, literally.

But should Venus achieve the #1 ranking, I have to admit that, for me, the moment will be all the sweeter, for my memories of all the posters on all the boards who said "Venus will never be number one."

Next week, I'm SURE I'll be thinking of you.
:hearts:

TeeRexx
Feb 19th, 2002, 05:57 AM
Yeah, I know how you feel. Some people have said about VENUS:

1. Did not have the skills to be a pro
2. Would not get ranked over 100
3. Would not get near the top 20
4. Could not possibly win even a Tier IV title
5. A Tier IV title was out of the question
6. Will not win a Tier I
7. Getting in the top 10 was out of the question
8. Had nothing against her personally, just didn't like the way she hit the damn ball.
9. She would never, never win a Grand Slam title
10. All athleticism, no mental ability
11. Doesn't have mental toughness.
12. And don't even think about her getting that #1 ranking.

But, I am sure that those same highly intelligent individuals will, as usual, come up with some other negative shit to hurl at VENUS, which she will, once again, gracefully avoid.

Go VENUS!

Dawn Marie
Feb 19th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Anyway I am glad that Venus is now going to be #1 in the WORLD. I don't care if it last a week.. she will go down in history with a very select few:)

A4
Feb 19th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Tee Rex. You forgot to add the current one. She'll never win RG!

I believe never going to be number one was quite common till last week.

Crazy Canuck
Feb 19th, 2002, 06:42 AM
LOL...

If i'd been hearing this fro years like you guys have, I'd be saying the same things right now :)

I'm just glad I was never silly enough to say that stuff!
Or I'd admit my idiocy shamefully lol

irma
Feb 19th, 2002, 06:53 AM
the only thing that was predicted that she would do, that she would beat Anna 6:0 6:0(that was in 93), didn`t happen till now;)

smygelfh
Feb 19th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Tee, why do you make things up to provoke people into bashing Venus more? Isn't it enough? Don't try to make it like everyone's bashing Venus all the time, because she doesn't get more dirt than any other top player. (Except Lindsay)

I admit that I didn't think she'd be healthy/interested enough to be #1, but I was wrong. I still don't like the power playing and never will, but I'll deal with it. The rest of your ramblings, I don't see the point.

And of course, she won't win RG! :)

Beige
Feb 19th, 2002, 10:42 AM
I'm just so happy! I hope she wins Dubai to get her reign as #1 off to a good start. #1 came later than she expected but it's the perfect time actually because she has matured so much on and off the court in the last year. Proud of you, Vee!

RayRob
Feb 19th, 2002, 12:18 PM
I'm not really a fan of Venus, but I respect her a whole lot! She now deserves to be # 1 because she is winning the tournies and most of all, the Grand Slams.

Another reason why she has earned my respect is because she has beaten my fave player (Lindsay Davenport) in three of the four slams she has won. To be able to beat a player of Lindsay's stature continually in big matches is an incredable feat.

Well done Venus! Although I hope the next Grand Slam match vs. Lindsay will go Lindsay's way. ;)

-Rachel :wavey:

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 19th, 2002, 01:32 PM
OMG smygelfh....you totally missed the entire objective of this thread!!!!!! LOLOL

daNieLa iS cUtE
Feb 19th, 2002, 03:24 PM
I find it a bit funny, the ranking system. There used to be a big fuss over the ATP system, and now that they've changed it for the better, I think the WTA should follow suit. No doubt Williams deserves to be no.1, but didn't Capriati just win the Australian Open a couple weeks ago? If you take the slam results of last year plus this year(on the basis of the ATP's 52wk system), Capriati has 3 against Williams' 2.

And then there are those who claimed that Capriati's no.1 is 'empty' or lacking something. If there's anyone who has said that she deserves it and so on, at the same time believing that Capriati's no.1 was not fully justified(or of that meaning), isn't this hypocrisy?

For those who didn't claim the above in that previous post, do ignore that last comment. Firstly, I'm just a tennis fan, who admires Williams for her being quite an outstanding women's player, but also Capriati for her comeback story after being down in the dumps. And of course, Hingis for being the intelligent, skilful player that she is. So, no bias! :)

Amanda
Feb 19th, 2002, 03:55 PM
Congratulations to Venus for obtaining the #1 ranking "on paper".
There have been many who have stated that Venus WOULD NEVER win a tournament. There will be many who will continue to bash her even if she wins every tournament during a season. Why? Who cares? The Venus supporters will continue to cheer and the haters will continue to jeer. GO VENUS! :D

joao
Feb 19th, 2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by daNieLa iS cUtE
I find it a bit funny, the ranking system. There used to be a big fuss over the ATP system, and now that they've changed it for the better, I think the WTA should follow suit. No doubt Williams deserves to be no.1, but didn't Capriati just win the Australian Open a couple weeks ago? If you take the slam results of last year plus this year(on the basis of the ATP's 52wk system), Capriati has 3 against Williams' 2.

In the last 52 weks, Capriati has won only 2 slams (2001 FO and 2002 AO). You can not count twice the same tournament to come up with a ranking!!!

-----------------

What makes me laugh right now is the assessment that nobody can be #1 by playing a part-time schedule!!! Well my friends, Venus showed everybody that you can indeed be #1 even when you don't play a full schedule!!! She will be #1 with only 15 tournaments under her belt in the last 52 weeks (16 if you count Dubai but even without Dubai, she would have been #1)!!! Does anyone know if this is the 1st time someone will be crowned #1 without having the minimum required???
Anyways, this shows once more that Venus was right from the beginning ..... and that nobody handles her career like her!! Smoothly but surely!!! I wonder now if players will think about that??!!

Volcana
Feb 19th, 2002, 06:48 PM
daNieLa iS cUtE - I have an emotional attachment to Venus that makes me quite unobjective about her. Still, I can't for the life of me figure what it is about Jenn that so many people want to refuse her credit. She had far and away the best GS record last year. She was totally deserving of the #1 ranking. You could argue Venus was a better player, but Jenn clearly had the better record. And the record is what is used to produce the ranking.

The hell with the 'incredible comeback'. Capriati is an incredible PLAYER. If they can't see that, some folks need to get their heads out of their ..... out of the sand. :)

HAIL-VENUS
Feb 19th, 2002, 06:58 PM
I will most definitely be thinking of QUEEN LINDSAY!. Hell, I already am:p

danieLa is cute:

We've had many an argument about this #1 issue and the WTA ranking system. I honestly believe that Venus is long long overdue for the top spot. Once she contains it, I will have no complaints because she was due to end the year #1 back in 2000, if you ask me. Jen came from a #12 ranking, won 2 GS and about 1 other event and she became #1. Venus was ranked #5 when she won Wimbledon; went on to win US Open, had a 35 match win streak during all of this, and she ended the year #3. Not to mention repeating both Wimbledon and US and 4 other tourneys in 2001, only to reach #2. Like I said, Venus is long long overdue for the top spot. When she gets there, she will more than deserve it.

Monica_Rules
Feb 19th, 2002, 06:59 PM
I have to admit that i didn't think she'd reach number one not because she wasn't talented enough but because she didn't play enough!Mainly when she started domminating!But i'm glad she has played more cos shes were she deserves to be and now no one needs to say 'Venus is the real number one' Cos she will be the proper number 1!:)

maccardel
Feb 19th, 2002, 07:19 PM
I always felt that Venus will be number one. It was only a question of when she would accomplished it....

Mitch01
Feb 20th, 2002, 12:02 AM
I've never really been a big fan of Venus, but she deserves to be number 1 now, because she obviously outclasses the rest of the women and is the one to beat. So congratulations Venus for your accomplishment! (But, I'm still hoping you'll lose against Kournikova tomorrow! ;) )

Pureracket
Feb 20th, 2002, 01:37 AM
I hope Venus is still on the African continent when they have the little #1 ceremony for her. That would be beautiful symbolism.

Mitch01
Feb 20th, 2002, 02:21 AM
Actually, Dubai isn't on the African continent. And, in Dubai, the people are predominantly Arab. :rolleyes:

Pureracket
Feb 20th, 2002, 03:08 AM
Mitch,
Sorry, I thought it was. Is it on the Asian continent? Arabs are Africans, aren't they?

daNieLa iS cUtE
Feb 20th, 2002, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by Volcana
daNieLa iS cUtE - I have an emotional attachment to Venus that makes me quite unobjective about her. Still, I can't for the life of me figure what it is about Jenn that so many people want to refuse her credit. She had far and away the best GS record last year. She was totally deserving of the #1 ranking. You could argue Venus was a better player, but Jenn clearly had the better record. And the record is what is used to produce the ranking.

The hell with the 'incredible comeback'. Capriati is an incredible PLAYER. If they can't see that, some folks need to get their heads out of their ..... out of the sand. :)

Top post! :)
Everyone has opinions, and some are bound to be more biased, some more objective, some less so. I've not been following women's tennis for quite a while, and even thought I never liked Williams initially, I've kinda taken to her a bit more since the Aussie Open when she came across as very generous and gracious with compliments. Not the same person I thought of her to be when she was a bit younger! :eek:

That said, I always thought she was a great player, and was actually surprised that she wasn't world no.1 yet. She's a bit like the Sampras of 7-8 years ago, winning almost everything in sight, esp the Slams.

Williams Rulez
Feb 20th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Venus is winning everything like her idol - Pete Sampras - and dominating too.

One thing I hope she doesn't attempt to copy though, is Sampras' terrible RG reocrd.

c2
Feb 20th, 2002, 04:48 PM
yep, couldn't agree more... all those who have doubted Venus ( or Ree) could achieve every top honor in tennis are totally off their rockers. Venus has been showing for about two years now that she is unstoppable.. and I'm not even a fan! It's just reality. In fact, Venus kinda irks me 'cause she keeps beating my fav ;) --

BUT, I am a GROWNUP ~~contrary to what you might have heard :p , but unlike a lot of people around I don't bash her 'cause she's so good. I put my feelings aside and look at the FACTS. And the facts have been apparent for some time now. I only wish other posters could grow up a bit as well :rolleyes:

moon
Feb 20th, 2002, 09:58 PM
:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

for everyone who said Venus would never be #1.

Infiniti2001
Feb 20th, 2002, 10:06 PM
Venus has always been #1 in my heart, so it really didn't matter what the computer and her detractors said--- I will indeed celebrate with my aol buds nonetheless, because payback is definitely bitch :P

Amanda
Feb 21st, 2002, 02:20 PM
VENUS IS the #1 player in the world!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I'm sure this will make a lot of people :fiery: because they were hoping that this day would never get here! Well, it finally has. I don't think that this will change a thing. The bashers will just find something else about Venus' success to gripe about. :sad:

For the many Venus fans...LET"S ENJOY THE MOMENT! :wavey:

As for the haters.....we still love ya! :kiss:

harloo
Feb 21st, 2002, 02:47 PM
Volcana I personally don't have a problem with Capriati's success. Kudos to her for winning the AO again. However, this is not about her and she does have the best gs record imo but she hasn't beaten Venus yet at all. After the USO semis, it was obvious that Venus was the true #1. It will be interesting to see if Capriati can stop Venus, but so far she hasn't.

Volcana
Feb 21st, 2002, 10:24 PM
harloo - I'll be sure Venus will reach 31 on February 25, 2002. I take nothing for granted. In August of 1997, Anna Kounikova had just made the Wimbledom finals, seemed like a future perennial top ten player, and a near-lock multiple GS champ. Venus Williams had never won a tournament.

I hope Venus wins a tournament while she had the #1 ranking. After that, I'll have bigger hopes.

Celeste
Feb 22nd, 2002, 01:31 AM
Sounds like something one of my old tricks used to say! Ooops, that was, I have to make an "emission"! Sorry!