PDA

View Full Version : Is Zvonereva for real?

Jakeev
Feb 19th, 2002, 04:21 AM
I just read Russia's latest prodigy pushed Alex Stevenson to the limits in a third-set tiebreak that she lost to the seeded American.

I have heard Vera has tremendous talent and plays a powerful, aggressive game that could push her into the top ten one day.

But how good is she?

I know she one like three or so junior titles in succession including the Orange Bowl in the past four months.

In the qualifying event in Memphis she looks like she tore up the competition.

I know she is just another long line of some very talented Russian women but something about her tells me she might be a tad more special.

Greenout
Feb 19th, 2002, 04:37 AM
With a name like that and a junior
record to booth; you would
think BOILED EGG created her
in his lab. :)

;)

Jordan.
Feb 19th, 2002, 04:47 AM
LOL
She will!She is very good!

ajayares
Feb 19th, 2002, 04:51 AM
Well Anna only beat her 7-6, 6-4 in the first Rd in Moscow in 2000..

If you can win the Orange Bowl, you cannot be too bad either..

But time will tell.. Juniors is a bit different to that of the senior tour, but you have to start somewhere...

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 19th, 2002, 04:52 AM
Vera is already very good and will be pretty special. She's got a great mind and fights alot. Great timing as well as power, pretty good at net as well.

Just a shame she couldn't quite win this but this is only the start.

Vera will also be in Miami for qualies.

Vera isn't our best jr even but just in a long line of very good juniors who will vrack it in the big time.

Vera is very classy.

She won the Orange Bowl for last two years and turned pro afer that and is now based in the US.

Jakeev
Feb 19th, 2002, 09:12 AM
TheBoiledEgg how do you size Vera up to Lina K or Elena Bovina, two players still trying to find their way on tour?

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 19th, 2002, 09:52 AM
there's not only Lina and Elena B

I'd put Lina ahead of Vera and Elena B (a little disappointing since Estoril last yr) but she'll settle on the red stuff in a few weeks time and go onwards)

there's also Svetlana Kuznetsova who is a better hitter than Vera and loves the clay, you'll see alot of her soon but she's still 16 and #1 Jr's.

Vera is only just a part of our up and comers.

My hitlist on my sig..... :) (only 14 yr old Tatiana Golovin (Moscow born doesn't represent Russia but FRA)

plus there are 100's more as well coming thru.

Jakeev
Feb 20th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Gosh TheBoiledEgg it makes your head spin but one of these girls needs to win a big title or match to really find some inspiration.

But it's exciting to see so many great players coming out of Russia and all heir apparant to succeed were you-know-who has not beena ble to do.

V.Melb
Feb 20th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Kuznetsova is bloody dangerous!
She hits the ball as hard as Capriati! ..... :eek:

Jakeev
Feb 20th, 2002, 08:36 PM
See now Vixen I have not seen Kuznetsova play. She was heavily favored to win the Aussie junior title but crashed out in the quarters and in straight sets.

Love the talent of all the Russians but would really like to see them be more consistent day in and say out.

Zvonereva seems destined to be that player.