PDA

View Full Version : Venus set to become #1 (C/p)

Sanneriet
Feb 18th, 2002, 09:24 PM
venus set to become world number one

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 22:50

Venus Williams will become world number one for the first time next Monday, a Women's Tennis Association (WTA) spokesman has confirmed.
The 21-year-old American, top seed at the Dubai Open this week, trails current rankings leader Jennifer Capriati by 137 points.

But with Capriati not playing this week, the Australian Open champion loses the 141 points she gained 12 months ago for reaching the final of the WTA tournament in Oklahoma City.

The new rankings will be issued in seven days' time, when Venus's long-awaited coronation will be rubber-stamped.

"It's my dream to be number one," she had told the Dubai Open website.

"I don't want to stick around at number two or go back to number five. I always like moving forward."

Supremely talented and enigmatic in equal measure, her rise to the top has been interrupted by her decision to take long periods off the WTA Tour.

It has meant the student of fashion design - twice Wimbledon and US Open champion - has never played enough events to capture the ranking her ability deserves.

It is unusual for a player who wins two Grand Slams in a year to end it anywhere other than number one, but convention has never sat easily on Venus's shoulders.

However, she is finally beginning to play a full schedule and the honour of reaching top spot could hardly be more perfectly timed.

NO SURPRISE

Although the number one ranking has come her way before she has hit a ball in anger in Dubai, the Californian is favourite to do it in style with victory in the Gulf state.

She has already claimed titles in Australia and Paris this year, and on Sunday she landed the Antwerp Open beating Justine Henin in a repeat of her most recent Wimbledon triumph.

She is also unlikely to be particularly surprised by her achievement.

"I've always believed I would be successful because that's what we'd worked for," she said. "My mum and dad told us all the time.

"If they hadn't told us maybe we wouldn't have believed it as much, but they had us convinced.

"I suppose if I'd have played a little bit more things could have been different by now, but I like my schedule the way it is. I like to have my free time, and if I don't have it I might get crazy."

Her first test at the Dubai Tennis Stadium is likely to come in the second round, when she could face Russian Anna Kournikova.

They also met in the second round in Antwerp, with Williams switching into top gear after a tight first set to win 7-5 6-0.

First, though, Kournikova must overcome Tunisian wild card Selima Sfar

This was from GOTENNIS GLOBAL

Sanneriet

Jovon
Feb 18th, 2002, 10:04 PM
The new rankings will be issued in seven days' time, when Venus's long-awaited coronation will be rubber-stamped.

long-awaited is right and I am happy it is finally here :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

veronica
Feb 18th, 2002, 10:04 PM
These articles say the same thing over and over but I HAVE WAITED SO LONG FOR THIS!!!

from the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/hi/english/tennis/newsid_1827000/1827606.stm)

Monday, 18 February, 2002, 16:35 GMT

Venus rises to top spot

Antwerp victory put Williams in line for pole position

Venus Williams will top the women's world tennis rankings for the first time next week - regardless of how she fares in the Dubai Open.

The Wimbledon and US Open champion has never played in enough tournaments to earn the rankings points that would make her number one.

But three titles in the first seven weeks of the year have taken her to within days of that honour.

After winning in Antwerp on Sunday, Williams is just 137 points behind Australian Open champion Jennifer Capriati.

And next week Capriati - who is not in Dubai - will lose the 141 points she earned by reaching the final in Oklahoma City a year ago.

Even if Williams loses her opening match in the Gulf this week - against either Tunisian wild-card Selima Sfar or Anna Kournikova - she will still pick up one point, placing her five
ahead of Capriati.

"When I was younger I dreamed of winning Wimbledon and of being number one some day," the 21-year-old said. "Now that day is very close so I just have to keep playing well and doing well to stay there."

Early victories

Williams' appearances have been limited in recent seasons by injury and her commitment to a college course in fashion design.

Despite winning both Wimbledon and the US Open for the past two seasons, the elder Williams sister has never accumulated enough ranking points in lower profile events to top the charts on the Sanex WTA Tour.

Capriati's reign as number one is about to end

But this year, a concerted effort to play more tournament tennis has led to early victories on Australia's Gold Coast and in Paris and Antwerp.

Williams is the top seed in Dubai and expected to meet Monica Seles - her quarter-final conqueror at the Australian Open - in Saturday's final.

nikita771
Feb 18th, 2002, 10:09 PM
I too feel that it is long overdue. She has done so well in her past few tournaments and she is definitely deserving of the #1 ranking.

moon
Feb 19th, 2002, 12:30 AM
the queen is ready for her coronation!

:D

LucasArg
Feb 19th, 2002, 12:33 AM
WOW this is really great:wavey:

QueenO
Feb 19th, 2002, 12:34 AM
Venus Your A Shining Star

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 19th, 2002, 02:46 PM
:)

Unbelievable :)

GO VENUS!!!!! :)

Amanda
Feb 19th, 2002, 05:18 PM
CONGRATULATIONS VENUS!!!:D :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

The REAL #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RAA
Feb 19th, 2002, 05:19 PM
This is great for Venus! As a Jen Cap fan as well, I'm sorry that Jen is losing her #1 ranking. But I see a good fight for the #1 between these two for the first half of the year, if not the whole year. It should be fun!
ruth in philly pa usa

joe
Feb 19th, 2002, 11:58 PM
A good story and press are loving it! No doubt the script writers will be fast at work putting together the best metaphors.

Well done Ebony you have done your family proud especially your mum and dad!