Feb 25th, 2004, 12:07 AM
:wavey: Good luck, Mervana Jugic-Salkic :wavey:

;) Target is TOP 100 ;)

lizchris
Feb 25th, 2004, 12:31 AM
Where do you find the WTA Tour Media Information System?:confused:

firehorse
Feb 25th, 2004, 05:06 AM
Justine and Jen will get in easily....even no one withdraws...Qatar will give them WC including one from Gold exempt....now who will get the other wildcard....mostly and obligately they have to give one to moslem's country player....
I do not think Selima will get one....may be Angelique...I heard that she will ask for one.
Vento is already in....she is lebanese decent.

Sharapova's_Boy
Feb 25th, 2004, 05:13 AM
Best of luck to:

Nastya, Lina, Sveta, Elena, Nathalie, Babsi, Vera and Makiri. :D :yeah:

Masharapova
Feb 25th, 2004, 05:30 AM
:) diana :)

Daniel
Feb 25th, 2004, 06:05 AM
i guess Anastasia will be seeded #5, right?

Chance
Feb 25th, 2004, 07:50 AM
according to this article, Justine is in- no word about Jen

http://www.gulf-times.com/
Justine time for Doha!
By R. Ravi Kumar
World No 1 Justine Henin-Hardenne of Belgium will be seen in action in the WTA Qatar Total Open which gets underway next Monday at the Khalifa Tennis Complex.
This was announced by Qatar Tennis Federation chief Sheikh Mohamed bin Faleh al-Thani yesterday. Sheikh Mohamed had earlier hinted that a surprise was on the cards and yesterday at a contract signing ceremony with Qatar National Bank he didn’t disappoint.
“We are pleased that Justine Henin-Hardenne will be participating in the Qatar Total Open,” said Sheikh Mohamed. “With Justine the number of top-10 players in the event goes to five. I can’t rule out one more addition,” added Sheikh building more mystery as D-Day fast approaches.
Justine is the current world No 1 and, after collecting two Slams (Roland Garros and the US Open) in 2003, has continued her roaring form with a season-opening win in the Adidas Open in Sydney and later her third Slam title – the Australian Open – in January.
The 21-year-old Belgian is currently strutting her stuff in Dubai where she is defending the Dubai Open title against the likes of Venus Williams and Jennifer Capriati.
Justine is top seed in the $600,000 Doha event followed by Frenchwoman Amelie Mauresmo who is nursing an abdominal injury right now. The third seeding has gone to American Serena Williams, the biggest drawcard for the organisers. Serena was supposed to start the season with a title defence in the France Open De Gaz but pulled out at the last minute.
Her website lists Doha as the place where she will stage her comeback after seven months on the sidelines. Tournament Director Ayman Azmy was confident that Serena, given the fact that she is in a class of her own, wouldn’t suffer the initial stutters most players undergo when returning to action after a long gap.
Last year’s winner Anastasia Myskina of Russia is the fourth seed.
All the top four seeds have a first round bye and are not expected to see action until Tuesday.
Entry for the matches is free. Centre court matches start only at 5pm in the evening while the encounters on the other courts commence at 3pm. The draw will be held on Saturday.
The winner goes home richer by $92,000. A further incentive is a glittering diamond-encrusted tennis ball trophy which will go to the player who wins the event three times.
“Any player who wins the tournament thrice can keep it,” said Sheikh Mohamed refusing to put a price on the glittering trophy.
No player has won the event twice so far in the first three editions. But with Martina Hingis pencilled in as an “official guest” and with enough hints from the QTF that she might come out of retirement in Doha, the Swiss Miss stands a good chance.
Earlier, Sheikh Mohamed signed an agreement with Mohamed Marzooq al-Shamlan, board member of the Qatar National Bank under which QNB will be the official bankers of the event.
Al-Shamlan was all praise for the draw and the manner in which the QTF was going from strength to strength. “Our policy is to support sports and thereby increase the country’s presence on the international stage,” said al-Shamlan.

ozfan44
Feb 25th, 2004, 10:53 AM
yess molik and pratt in md

ys
Feb 25th, 2004, 05:54 PM
All the top four seeds have a first round bye and are not expected to see action until Tuesday.
Entry for the matches is free.
:eek:

Daniel
Feb 26th, 2004, 05:43 AM
Myskina seeded fourth :bounce: :bounce: :D

DannerCal
Feb 26th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Jennifer will play here. She added it and will get a wild card if she does not get direct entry. (Go to wtatour.com - it is in the Notes and Netcords)

Next in: When a player from main draw withdrawls then a player who did not make the cut off for entry will get the slot...This is not really a concern for Gold Expempt players like Justine and Jennifer, but most players don't want to use up wild cards, (as you are only allowed so many a year).

That is my understanding anyway :).

lizchris
Feb 26th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Since Serena has puuled out with illnes, will Venus (if healthy), be asked to play? I hope she decieds to. She needs to play and since she ins't playing Indain Wells, she'lk have 2 1/2 weeks to rest.

AjdeNate!
Feb 26th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Since Serena has puuled out with illnes, will Venus (if healthy), be asked to play? I hope she decieds to. She needs to play and since she ins't playing Indain Wells, she'lk have 2 1/2 weeks to rest.
I thought V said she wouldn't play again til Miami ??

justinDisco
Feb 26th, 2004, 11:51 PM
did anyone read the last paragraph where it says there's a good chance Martina Hingis will come out of retirement at this tournament? Maybe I read it wrong-but it seems like a really wild statement, don't you think?

Daniel
Feb 27th, 2004, 08:03 AM
so seeded players will be:
1 Juju
2 Jenn
3 Mauresmo
4 Anastasia
is it correct???

jujufan
Feb 27th, 2004, 08:21 AM
No since there isn't an official commitment from justine yet

firehorse
Feb 27th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Martina may come out but it will humiliate herself as other girlds are much stronger now..doubt she will play single....if she plays..thats good news...I really doubt it though

jujufan
Feb 27th, 2004, 10:29 AM
maybe a surprise double team, justine and martina, that would be sooo damn awesome!

Cookie
Feb 27th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Amelie is out as well :

http://www.wtatour.com/newsroom/stories/NewsArticle_3307_rx.asp

lauryn
Feb 27th, 2004, 04:49 PM
maybe a surprise double team, justine and martina, that would be sooo damn awesome!Oh, what a great team they would make :drool: Don't see Martina come back any time soon though :sad:

Didn't even know Justine's playing here, this wasn't on her schedule, was it?

lizchris
Feb 27th, 2004, 05:18 PM
I thought V said she wouldn't play again til Miami ??
She could changer her mind, but we won't know until maybe this weekend when the draw is out.

Hurley
Feb 27th, 2004, 07:52 PM
so seeded players will be:
1 Juju
2 Jenn
3 Mauresmo
4 Anastasia
is it correct???

That wouldn't be correct anyway, since Amelie is ranked 3 and Jenn is ranked 5.

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 27th, 2004, 08:03 PM
and Amelie is no longer playing.

MH-forever
Feb 27th, 2004, 08:23 PM
and Amelie is no longer playing.
so does that mean Nastya and Ai just might be the top 2 seeds :eek:
guess people are taking Indian Wells pretty seriously:)

ys
Feb 28th, 2004, 01:26 AM
so does that mean Nastya and Ai just might be the top 2 seeds :eek:
Cheetah and Jen are still in..

Philip
Feb 28th, 2004, 01:39 AM
so... jelena is out? :confused:

ns_Henin
Feb 28th, 2004, 02:37 AM
Justine will play :bounce:
Check out her official site :)

Daniel
Feb 28th, 2004, 04:38 AM
ok, so the top seeds might be: Juju, Capriati, Anastasia and Ai

alwayshingis
Feb 28th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Please, don't toy with me this way...if Martina played here i would die...I would physically die. But for her own sake I guess i hope she doesn't decide to, I don't want her to come back and lose confidence immediately.

ozfan44
Feb 28th, 2004, 05:37 AM
jelena is number 5 seed

Farina Elia Fan
Feb 28th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Silvia Farina Elia is now ranked higher than Jelena, so she will be the 5th seed

PatatRiek
Feb 28th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Serena, Mauresmo pull out, Venus likely replacement

LONDON/DOHA: Serena Williams and Amelie Mauresmo have announced their withdrawals from next week's $600,000 Qatar Total Open.

Williams has not played a competitive match since winning Wimbledon last July, underdoing surgery on August 1 to repair a partial tear in her left knee quadriceps. However, the former world No 1 will not make her trip to the Middle East due to 'flu.

"I'm really disappointed that I won't be playing in Doha," said Williams. "I've been battling the flu for the last several days, and am not quite 100% well yet.

"The good news is that my knee is feeling great, and I feel I'm back in championship form. I'm anxious to resume playing and look forward to getting back on the courts and seeing my fans."

Mauresmo is still suffering from the back muscle injury that forced her withdrawal from the Australian Open quarterfinals last month.

"As disappointed as I am, it saddens me to have to postpone my return to competition for yet another week," said Mauresmo.

"Even though my coach and I are slowly getting back to the level where we want to be, I will not be ready to participate in Doha."

Williams's next scheduled event is the NASDAQ-100 Open in Miami (starting March 24) while Mauresmo's is the Pacific Life Open in Indian Wells (March 10).

Meanwhile, Qatar Tennis Federation (QTF) President Sheikh Mohammed bin Faleh al-Thani expressed his disappointment at Serena's withdrawal and said the QTF had already approached her sister Venus in Dubai to play in Doha. Venus lost in the quarter-finals to Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova on Thursday.

"We approached her to accept a wild card entry in the tournament on Thursday itself but she was a bit upset because of the loss. We are waiting for her answer and hopefully she could be the best replacement for her sister," Sheikh Mohammed said.

"Serena could have made the field more stronger but still we have world No 1 Justine Henin-Hardenne and Jeniffer Capriati, which is still the strongest ever field of the Qatar Total Open," he added

gulf times