PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Player On Tour?

Shooter
Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:50 PM
Just wondering who people think is the fastest player on tour (top 150 or so)? Both Williams sisters are known for being fast. Who else comes to mind?

http://www.mfwweb.com/tennis/Misc/Shooter.jpg

Glenn
Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:52 PM
Elena Dementieva is definitely very fast!

j_dementieva27
Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:53 PM
yes she is, but i would have to say ai sugiyama.. her foot speed is her biggest weapon

Knizzle
Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:54 PM
Just wondering who people think is the fastest player on tour (top 150 or so)? Both Williams sisters are known for being fast. Who else comes to mind?

http://www.mfwweb.com/tennis/Misc/Shooter.jpg

Venus, Serena, Clijsters, Henin, Capriati, Dementieva, Rubin.

Glenn
Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:55 PM
Venus, Serena, Clijsters, Henin, Capriati, Dementieva, Rubin.
I wouldn't say Capriati...

Knizzle
Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:57 PM

Well, I haven't seen her lately since she supposedly gained weight, but she is usually one of the best movers on the tour.

bandabou
Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:59 PM
I think it is Venus, Serena, Kim, Henin, with a healthy Venus being the best mover of them all...and then everybody else really. Jen used to make the group, but she seems to have lost a step.

esquímaux
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:00 PM

Umm JCap is a fast mover :rolleyes::p

vutt
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:02 PM
Myskina for sure!

ßcoene
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:04 PM
yes she is, but i would have to say ai sugiyama.. her foot speed is her biggest weapon
I agree. Sugiyama is :eek: fast. :bolt:

TatiAnnahølic
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:07 PM
both Anna (Kournikova and Pistolesi), Kim, Ai...

shannonannafan
Mandy is still known for being fast:sport:

SJW
Venus...or is it just her reach?

Alberto
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:10 PM
Angeles Montolio is quite fast too

bigshow21
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:14 PM
Capriati is a very fast player. She can run down any ball hit to her. The Williams' are fast too.

Knizzle
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:19 PM
Venus...or is it just her reach?

Venus probably reaches the highest top speed of any tennis player.

*hingis_forever*
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:20 PM
Myriam Casanova, Monica Seles, and Lindsay Davenport!

Knizzle
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:22 PM
Myriam Casanova, Monica Seles, and Lindsay Davenport!

:haha:

I knew someone would play the smartass.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

crazillo
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:22 PM
Oh, there are so many fast players. From the top-20:

Henin, Kim, Venus, Cappy, Rubin, Ai, Dementieva, Myskuina, Pistolesi, Martinez, Maleeva

SJW
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:23 PM
Venus probably reaches the highest top speed of any tennis player.
my point is, she rarely needs to because her wingspan does the job for her

Knizzle
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:25 PM
my point is, she rarely needs to because her wingspan does the job for her

That just makes it easier for her to cover the court.

SJW
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:28 PM
That just makes it easier for her to cover the court.true.....but you're not gonna sprint full speed to a ball that you can reach just by taking two steps are you?

if you lined them all up on a 100m track, Venus would win. short side to side distances, i think Serena and Kim do it slightly better

Knizzle
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:32 PM
true.....but you're not gonna sprint full speed to a ball that you can reach just by taking two steps are you?

if you lined them all up on a 100m track, Venus would win. short side to side distances, i think Serena and Kim do it slightly better

I think Venus does side to side better than anyone, but if you thought Serena and Kim were better than you should have said so.

starr
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:35 PM
I agree. Sugiyama is :eek: fast. :bolt:
Ai is a speedy bunny. :)

Venus Forever
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:35 PM
true.....but you're not gonna sprint full speed to a ball that you can reach just by taking two steps are you?

I don't think Serena and Kim move side to side better, but they are better at anticipating the ball better.

If Venus' of anticipation was that of Serena and Kim's, Kim's especially, there would be no stopping her.

SJW
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:37 PM
I think Venus does side to side better than anyone, but if you thought Serena and Kim were better than you should have said so.
:lol:

he said fastest player...on tour...didn't say what distance :)

over anything more than 50m Venus would cream the field...just think that as far as physical proficiency abilities are concerned, Kim and Serena have the explosive strength part down whereas Venus has the stamina

but...that's just my lowly opinion :)

SJW
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:38 PM
I don't think Serena and Kim move side to side better, but they are better at anticipating the ball better.

If Venus' of anticipation was that of Serena and Kim's, Kim's especially, there would be no stopping her.

ok

Knizzle
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:40 PM
:lol:

he said fastest player...on tour...didn't say what distance :)

over anything more than 50m Venus would cream the field...just think that as far as physical proficiency abilities are concerned, Kim and Serena have the explosive strength part down whereas Venus has the stamina

but...that's just my lowly opinion :)

I agree that Serena and possibly Kim are quicker, but speed and quickness are two different things.

Venus Forever
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:43 PM
I agree that Serena and possibly Kim are quicker, but speed and quickness are two different things.
Quicker is their reaction to what's going on, which is part of their anticipation.

Speed is actually how fast they go.

#1 Lindsay
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:44 PM
kim

jimbo mack
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:47 PM
venus is the fastest player on the tour ~ fact!

Knizzle
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:50 PM
true...but over the short distance of the court....

...........no one covers it better than Venus. ;)

AjdeNate!
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:52 PM
I'm not saying she is "the" fastest... but Karolina Sprem is very very quick around the court.

SJW
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:57 PM
...........no one covers it better than Venus. ;)....in your opinion, and the beautiful thing about those is we don't have to agree. :)

honestly, why my posts, is it because i mentioned Serena? :) my bad, cuz i can see why both you and Venusforever would pick on that out of the many other posts...

...no doubt we shall meet again when the "who is the better player?" thread is created for this quarter...i shall come armed with my records facts and most importantly, numbers

until then, you'll have to find some other fool to amuse you...

i'm out :cool:

Dokicfan17
Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:01 PM
In Order:
Amanda Coetzer
Williams
Anastacia Myskina
Elene Dementieva
Capriati

I think so?

propi
Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:14 PM
Myskina, in every of her matches reporters can't stop talking about how quickly she moves and reacts :D

Jericho
Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:19 PM
Myskina's "speed" is misleading, she is an average mover, but she has such good anticipation (arguably the best on tour) that she can get to a lot of balls

ys
Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:24 PM
Venus and Serena used to be the fastest. I do not think they will ever regain their best speed. Just like Kournikova will never be as fast as she used to be, no matter how well she will redidicate her to the sport.

Now, perhaps Clijsters and Myskina. Speed in tennis is an ability to get to balls, nothing else. No one is interested in meters per second. Everyone is interested in ability to get in a good position in time or make opponents hit an extra shot to win a point.

RedFilaJ-Cap#1
Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:27 PM
What the heck J-Cap is fast!!! Do you watch her play ever, she chases down every ball that is hit to her. Now if there was a race she wouldn't win venus would, but on a tennis court she is very very fast.

Knizzle
Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:27 PM
....in your opinion, and the beautiful thing about those is we don't have to agree. :)

honestly, why my posts, is it because i mentioned Serena? :) my bad, cuz i can see why both you and Venusforever would pick on that out of the many other posts...

...no doubt we shall meet again when the "who is the better player?" thread is created for this quarter...i shall come armed with my records facts and most importantly, numbers

until then, you'll have to find some other fool to amuse you...

i'm out :cool:

You didn't mention Serena to begin with though it was OBVIOUS that's who you were referring to as being the fastest, but for some reason you didn't say Serena, you just said something about Venus' wingspan instead of coming out and saying you thought Serena was faster. Don't beat around the bush, say what you feel.

crazillo
Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:28 PM
I´m for example not that fast in 100n-runs but i can anticipate quiite well and so it seems that i am fast, but it is not true.

Jericho
Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:30 PM
Venus and Serena used to be the fastest. I do not think they will ever regain their best speed. Just like Kournikova will never be as fast as she used to be, no matter how well she will redidicate her to the sport.
Please dont compare Kournikova and the Sisters, thats like comparing a tennis player to a spectator

azza
Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:32 PM
Nicole Pratt and amanda coatzer

crazillo
Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:33 PM
Hey Azza, how do you feel after Pratt´s title?

crazillo
Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:34 PM
Kurnikova is fast, but not the fastest.

It´s my 1000-post. *yeah*

VRULES
Feb 23rd, 2004, 12:14 AM

Now, perhaps Clijsters and Myskina. Speed in tennis is an ability to get to balls, nothing else. No one is interested in meters per second. Everyone is interested in ability to get in a good position in time or make opponents hit an extra shot to win a point.Venus' injury doesn't slow her down, it slows her serve down, now Serena will probably be slightly slower than before cause of the knee.

Venus has the best court coverage, but Serena is the fastest when it comes to short spurts, but she can have problems moving foreward, thats where Kim is good.

But if you are moving a player side to side to side... Venus is the one you have to be most worried about, because her legs let her get from far corner to far corner better than anyone, and then her reaches makes her undeniably the best to hit passes and winner, ...
whereas Serena goes for the winner as soon as she can when she is on the run, just out of pure strength, because she can't get to some balls Vee could cause of her reach.

j_dementieva27
Feb 23rd, 2004, 12:16 AM
Myskina's "speed" is misleading, she is an average mover, but she has such good anticipation (arguably the best on tour) that she can get to a lot of balls

yeah i agree.. myskina is not so much foot speed because that is arguably one of the areas she needs to work on (that and her serve/volleys)

she has great anticipation, much like hingis... maybe thats way hingis said she liked anastasia's game so much

ys
Feb 23rd, 2004, 12:18 AM
Venus' injury doesn't slow her down
Did we watch a different AO2004? The Venus that I saw there was slow as a cow comparing to Venus of 2001.

mimbari24
Feb 23rd, 2004, 12:19 AM
I saw Venus play fed cup last year in Lowell, MA and her speed was amazing! It was like she was literally from one side of the court to the other in a few steps. Serena was fast but not awe inspiringly like Venus

andrew_uk
Feb 23rd, 2004, 12:20 AM
Amanda Coetzer :)

Venus Forever
Feb 23rd, 2004, 12:20 AM
Did we watch a different AO2004? The Venus that I saw there was slow as a cow comparing to Venus of 2001.
Due to her ankle / leg injury, not because she just slowed down in general.

Knizzle
Feb 23rd, 2004, 12:23 AM
Did we watch a different AO2004? The Venus that I saw there was slow as a cow comparing to Venus of 2001.Venus was moving perfectly in the first round, but after that she was hampered and letting balls go by. Ys is right about Venus not moving well after her injury in the AO, but it's not supposed to be a serious injury.

Also YS, I think VRules meant Venus' stomach injury.