PDA

View Full Version : Vera Zvonareva rise to the top thread !!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

goldenlox
May 28th, 2004, 04:27 PM
To me, being a fan means following a player's career, not just rooting for them when they play well.
Vera is having an uneven spring. I'm not sure exactly what is going wrong. But her serve is being attacked, and she is not controlling the baseline rallies.
I'm not sure how she can correct this. But Vera has to stay focused and keep trying to improve.

goldenlox
May 29th, 2004, 04:39 AM
I saw the whole second set. This match would have been very interesting if Vera could have forced a third set.
The match was what I expected. Maria was playing her typical game, and Vera was playing the way she played against Venus and Amelie. Not steady enough from the baseline, and not a strong enough serve.

Epigone
May 29th, 2004, 04:44 AM
I'm am sticking with Vera for the long haul. When she gets her serve sorted out and begins to overcome her mental hurdles, she is going to be a great player.

Of all of the Russians that I've seen, Vera is the one who seems to suffer most for her tennis. Every UE she hits is like a dagger in her heart. Even when she is practising, she gets down when she makes mistakes. If she didn't let errors get her down, but rather used them as motivation to focus harder on the next point, she would be very dangerous. If she stops giving herself conflicting statements, her determination will see her move into the top 10, and stay there for a long time. With her current attitude, she won't fulfil her potential.

goldenlox
May 29th, 2004, 04:48 AM
I thought Vera handled her emotions well today. Players who hit with power will attack her serve.
Was it 6 breaks today? In two sets? You have to hold serve. I don't understand why young players aren't taught how to serve. Only Maria S., Sveta, and Nadia can serve among the Russians.

Epigone
May 29th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Looking at the serving stats here (http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/stats/day11/2099dss.html) is quite interesting. It shows that Maria really targeted Vera's forehand when serving to the deuce court, and that she hit more faults to the ad court. The strange thing is that Maria's average 1st serve speed to the region where she won the most points (deuce court, forehand side) was the slowest of all 6 serving regions (if that makes sense). I have no idea why Vera didn't try to rip forehand winners down the line :scratch:.

Vera's average 1st serve speed to the middle and backhand side of the ad court matched Masha's, but her average 1st serve speed to the deuce side was lower. I don't know if Vera's serving problems are due to a lack of pace, poor placement, or a combination of both. In her match against Davenport at the AO, Vera hit 3 aces in her opening service game due to excellent placement. What has gone wrong? :shrug:

daniela86
May 29th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Yesterday, I didn't post here because I was so angry,sad and sick because of Vera's match! :sad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: How could she play (and almost serve) like that! :mad: She has so much potential and it is sad she can't use this for winning against the top 10 or top 20 player!
But, I wish her the best because I love really love her! Good luck in double Vera!! :)

Epigone
May 30th, 2004, 11:13 AM
After seeing Maria Sharapova make the QF, I am even more :bigcry: about the way Bepa played. She blew another opportunity for a really good result. I guess we can add that to the list with IW, Miami, Berlin, and then her lopsided defeats to Justine, Venus, and Amelie. Bepa, you were supposed to stamp your authority this year :banghead:.

Anyway, I hope that Bepa has a positive attitude for her 3rd round doubles match. Bepa and Nastya will face Janette Husarova and Conchita Martinez. This pair defeated Bepa and Nastya 3-6 6-3 6-4 in the SF of Berlin. It was Nastya's first doubles match since she and Bepa made the SF of IW, so she may have been a little rusty. Bepa has been playing some really good doubles on clay, so despite her poor form in singles, I think that Bepa and Nastya will win. They've just gotta get those serves in! ;)

goldenlox
May 30th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Both Vera and Nadia just gave the semifinals in a major to Maria. But that's a part of tennis.
You have to take advantage of your opportunities. Vera had, in both IW and here, a tremendous draw. But you still have to win your matches. Beating Dechy and Maria would have meant the Olympics, the top 10, and a huge amount of money and recognition.

Epigone
May 30th, 2004, 01:36 PM
No matter what Vera did here, short of winning the whole tournament, would have given her more recognition than Masha had before the tournament. Nadia who made the SF last year? :scratch:.

And Masha hasn't made the SF yet. Zheng is playing well, and Suarez is always tough on clay. Let's not count our chickens before they hatch ;)

I'd like to know if Vera had fully recovered from her stomach bug. But seeing as I haven't seen/read one of her interviews since Warsaw, I wouldn't know how/what she is feeling. Hopefully her website will come online soon, so that she can maybe keep her fans updated on how she is doing.

goldenlox
May 30th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Vera can't concern herself with who has more recognition. If she wants that, she has to hire an agent. She just has to play her matches.
When was the last time Vera beat a player ranked above her? She's not beating top 10 players, and she's losing to Craybas, Dechy, Zuluaga, and Sharapova.
Vera has to beat the players she is better than. That's how you prove you are the better player, by winning.

Epigone
May 30th, 2004, 02:32 PM
GL, you were the one who said something about recognition and money ;). All that Vera wants is to feel like she has played good tennis. Sure, those other things are nice, but it's not why she plays the sport.

The last time Vera beat someone ranked above her was probably Toronto last year, where she beat Dokic 6-3 6-2. She is ordinary against top players, and it's all mental. I watched her lose 7-5 in the 3rd to Davenport this year, and that was only after some bad linecalls and Vera getting really angry. Had she won that match, I think it may have set the tone for the year. It's something that she really have to fix, and I'm more disappointed about it than anyone :bigcry:.

goldenlox
May 30th, 2004, 02:37 PM
I thought after Memphis, Vera was on her way into the top 10, and on the way to Athens.
I'm still not sure what happened, Vera might have had health issues this spring, on and off.
The past is over, and Vera can still have a good year.
Is Vera playing again before Wimbledon?

Epigone
May 30th, 2004, 02:52 PM
No, Vera hates grass, and she won't play again before Wimbledon. This worries me because she has 4th round points to defend, and grass is her weakest surface. The ball come in low and fast, and her grip isn't suited to such conditions. If she loses to another lower-ranked player, I'm going to tear my hair out.

After her results on clay, although reasonably good, I am lowering my expectations slightly. Vera will achieve good results, but we may have to wait a little while longer than I anticipated :sad:. But I am still 100% behind Vera, even if I get a little disheartened from time to time.

goldenlox
May 30th, 2004, 11:15 PM
I guess Vera doesn't enjoy playing on grass. But I would enter a grass prep if I were Vera.
She can get a nice draw, and get 100 or so points.

Epigone
May 31st, 2004, 03:27 AM
I suspect that Vera might actually go back to Moscow and train on carpet. This will give her ranking another battering, and it might not be the best preparation for Wimbledon, but Vera has to do what makes her comfortable. Justine, Amelie, Lindsay, Jen, Serena, Venus, and Lena D are also not playing a warm up to Wimbledon, but they are better on grass than Vera. Vera should use the two week break to clear her mind and prepare herself mentally for her Wimbledon campaign.

goldenlox
May 31st, 2004, 03:30 AM
Vera can take 2 weeks off, and still play Eastbourne. It doesn't matter. It's a long year, Vera doesn't have to play every week.
It might be best if she took time off and had a little fun.

Epigone
May 31st, 2004, 03:45 PM
Vera and Nastya are now playing their 3rd round doubles match. They trail 1-4* after Nastya was broken in the third game, and Vera was broken in the fifth game :(. I want Vera to put everything she has into this match. She has to achieve at least one respectable result from this tournament.

goldenlox
May 31st, 2004, 03:50 PM
I think after this tournament Vera should take a few days off and relax, and enjoy life a little.
Vera had a lot of points to defend on clay, and that's a lot of pressure.
I think some time off might benefit her in the long run. Relax, do some shopping, Get away from tennis. School ended for me. Vera could use a summer break also.

Epigone
May 31st, 2004, 04:13 PM
I agree that Vera needs a rest. In her interview with Ola, she said that players need hobbies to prevent them from becoming tennis-obsessed robots. Vera should just hang out with her friends and relax. If she isn't enjoying life, her tennis will suffer even more.

Epigone
May 31st, 2004, 04:26 PM
Geez, Vera and Nastya kill me sometimes :banghead:. They led *3-1, only to be broken. Then, they led 30-0 and 40-30 at *3-3, but had to save 2 or 3 BPs. Vera needs a win, and Nastya needs to rest before her match with Venus. They should be able to beat Husarova and Martinez :(.

goldenlox
May 31st, 2004, 04:27 PM
Vera should have fun. That should always be a priority in life.
Especially for a very talented professional athlete who is competing against the best in the world, day after day, week after week.
Vera needs to take a mental break. Have some fun and get some rest.

Epigone
May 31st, 2004, 04:33 PM
Vera and Nastya levelled the match at one set apiece 2-6 6-4.

I want to see them close out this match quickly.

Удачи Вера и Настя!

Epigone
May 31st, 2004, 04:54 PM
Vera and Nastya really need to knuckle down and fight. They trail 2-3* in the 3rd set.

Epigone
May 31st, 2004, 05:03 PM
Vera and Nastya lost 2-6 6-4 2-6 :sad:

So ends Vera's French Open campaign. This campaign had great promise, but amounted to very little. With this loss, I fear that Vera has also put a serious dent in her chances of making the Olympic team :bigcry:.

Vera needs to go home and prepare herself for Wimbledon. She can't let this disastrous tournament cripple her spirit. It should inspire her to train even harder in order to achieve her goals.

Vera, I believe in you :hug:

goldenlox
May 31st, 2004, 05:10 PM
Vera still has a chance at the Olympic team. But right now she should go and have some fun. This is Vera's last summer as a teenager, enjoy it.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:45 AM
Been away for Two nights to where the wind was blowing straight from the bloody Antarctic,had to find some good news about Vera Z.
source . Miami Herald

THE MILLION CLUB

Three women who have already left the French Open have a decent gift to take home.

No. 27-seeded Eleni Daniilidou of Greece, Maria Vento-Kabchi of Venezuela and No. 10 Vera Zvonareva of Russia marked milestones at Roland Garros by crossing the $1 million threshold in career earnings.

They exited in the first, second and third rounds, respectively.
This was posted in GM.

goldenlox
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:50 AM
Vera's 19, so earning a million is pretty good. But now that her doubles results are getting better, she should win more money each year.
This year, before Roland Garros, Sveta has earned $450,000, Vera $280,000, Maria $145,000.

goldenlox
Jun 1st, 2004, 10:12 AM
If Vera could have beaten Dechy or Maria, her earnings would be a lot higher.
I think there was some extra pressure from being at #11. We make a big deal about the top 10.
I still hope Vera takes a few days away from tennis, to shop, be with friends and family, and have some fun.
Recharge her batteries, and come back all refreshed.

Epigone
Jun 1st, 2004, 11:58 AM
Had Vera defeated Craybas and Suarez in Miami, even if she was then defeated by Serena, she would have taken away $57300 and 81 points, instead of $15850 and 28 points. That's what happens when you take your eye off the ball.

Vera has blown lots of good chances to get into the top 10 this year, but I think that she is in a general form slump, rather than being under pressure to crack the top 10. She needs to mentally re-adjust, and then I'm sure she'll start playing more consistent tennis. Vera expends a lot of mental energy, and it must have been very emotionally draining for her to come to the French Open with such high hopes, and then get a stomach bug, and then play below her usual standards :sad:.

Epigone
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:39 PM
If Vera isn't selected for Fed Cup (there is virtually zero chance that she'll go to Argentina), I hope that she goes back to Moscow after Wimbledon to train and relax. I'm going to Moscow in early July, and I plan to check out Chaika and Spartak. I want to see where my favourite players begain their training. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to see Vera practising on her home court? :dance:

goldenlox
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:41 PM
Vera won Memphis, and then didn't play Mexico. Maybe something was wrong, a health problem. I don't know.
I'm big believer that the past is over. As soon as I take a test, like a month later, I can't even remember the stuff I studied.

Vera should forget what happened, and move forward. She can still a big year.
And she should have fun, no matter what the results are.

Epigone
Jun 1st, 2004, 01:04 PM
I was reading the interview that Vera gave after losing to Serena at the French Open in 2002.

Q. What are your goals this year in general? I mean, what do you expect from your tennis? Do you dream about becoming No. 1 in the world?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah, I dream to be in Top 10 in the world, but it's really tough and I still have a lot of work because I need to improve more shots and a lot of different in my game.Vera has been so close to achieving her dream so many times :bigcry:

Q. What do you think is your weakness right now?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Weakness, like...?

Q. Weak points of your game. Like a volley or, you know...

VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah, I have to improve my serve because sometimes I have a good serve but sometimes not really good. And maybe I need to play some more volleys, but I didn't do a lot of volleys today.Vera identified her serve as being inconsistent two years ago, and it's still causing her problems. She is really letting herself down if she doesn't work on it.

goldenlox
Jun 1st, 2004, 01:26 PM
I don't believe that the dream is to be in the top 10. And if you're #11, you're unhappy.
Vera is doing fine. But it's never just a steady improvement. Careers go through good times and rough times.
Vera has to stay positive, and focused, and the good times will come.

Epigone
Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:37 AM
Vera is doing okay, but she isn't doing well. She hasn't defeated a higher-ranked player since Toronto last year. That's 19 tournaments. I'm trying to think of another top 20 player who has had such a lean streak :scratch:.

- L i n a -
Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:04 AM
Vera is doing okay, but she isn't doing well. She hasn't defeated a higher-ranked player since Toronto last year. That's 19 tournaments. I'm trying to think of another top 20 player who has had such a lean streak :scratch:.
Dokic.

It seemed like she went 30 weeks without getting past the 2nd round, and still was in the Top 10.

Epigone
Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:19 AM
Unlike Dokic, Vera has made numerous QFs and SFs since Toronto, yet she hasn't defeated a top player. It's very frustrating. One win might open the floodgates, since she is someone who really relies on confidence.

goldenlox
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:20 PM
If Vera had won the tiebreak against Maria, she might be playing in the semis against Elena.
That's how fine a line there is between being on a good run, and in a slump.
Vera needs to have fun, and stay positive. Good results will come. Because Vera is a good player.

- L i n a -
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:22 PM
Vera will be fine... the talent is undoubtedly there.

I'm expecting good things from her this hardcourt season... and it's a good chance for her to move up the rankings, since her only decent performance was in Toronto.

goldenlox
Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:34 AM
Vera should be able to get good results on hardcourt. I want Vera to be fresh mentally. Maybe take a week off now and then.

Epigone
Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:49 AM
Vera's hardcourt record this year has been disappointing. She has two 2nd rounds (Gold Coast and Sydney), a 3rd round (Miami), two 4th rounds (AO and IW), and a tournament win (Memphis). Her serve was a weakness on clay, and it will be even more vulnerable on hardcourt surface.

Vera needs to play consistent baseline tennis, and she'll have to keep the ball deeper than she has been doing on clay. If not, her results won't show signs of improvement.

goldenlox
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:10 AM
Vera has to beat players like Craybas and Dechy on hardcourt. She has to be more consistent from match to match.
I don't think Vera has to keep the ball deeper. But she has to not let players outside the top 20 out rally her.

And on grass, Vera has to hit her groundstrokes with power, and set up opportunities to win the point.

- L i n a -
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:12 AM
That's the problem though... Vera doesn't have the big weapons to out rally the Top 20 players.

She has to rely on consistency to win... and right now, she doesn't have the confidence to win like that.

goldenlox
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:17 AM
Vera won't gain confidence on grass. So maybe she's better off waiting for Wimbledon. Then it's only one grass tournament.
Then she should be wise about her schedule. She played too many tournaments this spring.

Epigone
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:40 AM
Vera's backhand is a big weapon, and her forehand is also pretty good. When she keeps the ball deep, she can control points. When she keeps the ball short, she has to defend. With Vera, it's a question of focus and attitude.

Her two matches against Davenport this year told me that she can rally anyone from the baseline when she is in the mood, but she is really lacking when she isn't focused. If she believes that she can win, serves well, and stays aggressive, Vera can beat top 10 players. Had she come off a good clay season, I would have great optimism for the hardcourt season. With things as they stand, I'll just be happy to see Vera enjoying her tennis, and hopefully the good results will follow.

goldenlox
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:07 AM
I'm not convinced that Vera lacks confidence. She reached the semis in Rome, then had a stomach virus in Paris.
I'm not concerned with Vera beating top 10 players. I want Vera to get to top 10 players, and not lose in the early rounds.

Epigone
Jun 7th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Vera needs to beat top 10 players. A win against Justine, Venus, or Amelie would have pushed Vera into the top 10, and would have ended a 10 month drought of not having beaten a top player. The mechanics of Vera's game are very good, now she has to work on fixing her head, and that requires confidence.

On another note, I don't know how often I'll be able to post here in the near future because I'm travelling at the moment. I'm in Hong Kong now, and will be travelling in Europe and Russia in the coming weeks. Please keep discussing Vera. I realise that she isn't playing until Wimbledon, but there is still plenty to say about her. goldenlox and Lina, could you at least try to keep her on the front page of RR, coz I had to go to page 2 to find this thread :sad:.

Cya :wavey:

goldenlox
Jun 7th, 2004, 02:56 PM
I want Vera to take a few days off. So I didn't bump this thread on purpose.
I did watch the second set of Vera-Maria again yesterday.
Vera has to beat the players ranked below her. Sometimes that is difficult. Especially at Wimbledon, Vera has to hold serve. Against Maria, every service game was a struggle.

goldenlox
Jun 8th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Last year at Wimbledon, Brad Gilbert said on tv that Nastya was a "soft 10 seed".
He said Nastya had never done well at the majors, her best result being a QF, and didn't deserve her seed.
One year later, Nastya will probably be the #2 seed, and she's a slam champion.

Nastya is 3 years older than Vera. Vera can improve. Vera can win a major.
Vera has to just stay calm, and focus during her matches. You never know when your game is going to move forward. You want to be prepared, so when you do improve, your head is in the match, and you build on that improvement. And finish. And improve even more.

goldenlox
Jun 9th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Vera has asked for a WC to Eastbourne. If you play, have fun out there. It's just a prep for the big one.

bubble
Jun 9th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Hope she can get the WC, if not she has to go through qualifying...

ys
Jun 9th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Last year at Wimbledon, Brad Gilbert said on tv that Nastya was a "soft 10 seed".
He said Nastya had never done well at the majors, her best result being a QF, and didn't deserve her seed.
One year later, Nastya will probably be the #2 seed, and she's a slam champion.

Last year during US Open Mary Gorilla was chanting - "How can a Top 10 player be such a poor player as Myskina"..

Nastya is 3 years older than Vera. Vera can improve. Vera can win a major.
Vera has to just stay calm, and focus during her matches. You never know when your game is going to move forward. You want to be prepared, so when you do improve, your head is in the match, and you build on that improvement. And finish. And improve even more.
Vera must get fit first. She didn't improve this year and I attribute it to her conditioning. She needs to lose a couple of kilos of weight. But with her extreme western forehand Wimbledon will never be her cup of tea.

- L i n a -
Jun 9th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Please don't insult Mary like that... she's the only US announcer I can stand.

Besides, if she doesn't speak of foreigners as inferior players... she is FIRED.

tenn_ace
Jun 9th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Vera must get fit first. She didn't improve this year and I attribute it to her conditioning. She needs to lose a couple of kilos of weight. But with her extreme western forehand Wimbledon will never be her cup of tea.
yeap... she needs to lay off on burgers and fries. and couple of kilos?:eek: :p you ARE very nice today, ys. it's more like 4-5.

goldenlox
Jun 9th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Vera looked fine against Maria. It's not her weight that's an issue.
Vera has to hold serve. That's very difficult against the better players.

goldenlox
Jun 12th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Vera has a bye in Eastbourne. All I ask is that you focus on your serve. It's a big deal on grass.

Farina Elia (5) - Bovina
Sanchez Lorenzo - Serna
Dechy - Zuluaga
bye - Zvonereva (4)

Epigone
Jun 13th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Lina has watched Vera since I watched her at the AO, and she assured me that Vera can still haul ass, regardless of the size of her waist.

This looks to be a nice draw for Vera. GL is correct in saying that Vera has to hold serve. This has been her major weakness. The ball will be coming in lower and faster, so Vera will also have to get set more quickly. However, I don't want her rushing her shots.

tenn_ace
Jun 13th, 2004, 12:38 PM
hopefully, Vera got the emssage of the last few tournaments (she has to work harder) and didn't waste time after her loss at the FO.

Good luck, Vera! The first round could be very tricky since there are some good players in the qualifying tournament right now.

goldenlox
Jun 13th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Vera doesn't play a qualifier. She has a bye. Both Dechy and Zuluaga have beaten Vera recently. So a chance to get some revenge.

goldenlox
Jun 13th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Vera and Dinara play Bartoli/Casanova tomorrow.

goldenlox
Jun 14th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Dinara and Vera lost in first round 4-6 7-5 2-6 against Myriam and Marion.
Vera will play Dechy on Wednesday. Dechy beat Zuluaga very easily. This will be a difficult match for Vera.

goldenlox
Jun 15th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Good luck Vera against Dechy. Take care of your serve.

goldenlox
Jun 16th, 2004, 02:19 AM
Q. Do you live with your parents or have your own place?

-I'm living with my parents: my mother and grandmother at home but I spend there only month and a half at home in Moscow because of the schedule. Actually I'm, practicing in Delray Beach, Florida when I have tournaments in the USA and I'm living with my coach over there, Julia and her daughter. She is practicing with us sometimes, she is 13. Maybe I will move somewhere in Moscow, I'm looking to move maybe some other place

Q. Do you enjoy travelling involved with being on Tour?

-Travelling is fun for me but I don't really like planes. I'm tired of planes and flying but it's fun right now because we have so many Russians and we have somebody to talk in Russian and we always have a good company around. It's really nice so it's not bad right now. Before it was a little bit, we were getting tired and it was bad because we didn't have anybody to talk in Russian and we got just one or two persons. Now it's good and fun.

Q. Do you sometimes read internet forums?

-Yeah I read. Sometimes I go on mine and I tried to write something couple of times but nobody answered (laughing). They just said me 'It's not true, it's not you', that's it.

ys
Jun 16th, 2004, 12:23 PM
As expected Vera wins.. Good luck in quarters!

KV
Jun 16th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Well taken revenge on N. Dechy. :)

Gowza
Jun 16th, 2004, 12:33 PM
well done vera, good luck in the next round!

Daniel
Jun 16th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Well done Vera :)

goldenlox
Jun 16th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Vera won 6-1, 3-6, 6-3. Good fighting. I knew Dechy would be tough.

ys
Jun 16th, 2004, 02:17 PM
I knew Dechy would be tough.
I knew Vera would win.. ;)

goldenlox
Jun 16th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Vera plays Sanchez Lorenzo in the quarters. Vera should come through. And play Sveta.

Daniel
Jun 17th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Good luck!!! :bounce: :D

goldenlox
Jun 17th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Vera won 6-3, 6-0. Into the semis!

KV
Jun 17th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Great win :)

ys
Jun 17th, 2004, 01:45 PM
And why Lena B. had so much trouble with MASL.. :confused:

goldenlox
Jun 17th, 2004, 03:36 PM
I'll get to see Vera on tv tomorrow. Stay focused on this match. Forget Wimbledon for now -

65 Davenport(5)
66 Randriantefy
67 Brandi
68 Benesova
69 Q
70 Q
71 Q
72 Loit(28)
73 Dokic(23)
74 Dulko
75 Castano
76 Navratilova
77 Obata
78 Q
79 Stosur
80 Zvonareva(12)

Gowza
Jun 17th, 2004, 04:17 PM
nice win vera. SF in a tier 2 for vera on a surface she doesnt exactly jump at the chance to play on, good performance and hopefully its starting to sway her mind about grass court tennis.

goldenlox
Jun 17th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Vera is going for her second final of 2004. I think she can beat Sveta. She has to hold serve.

- L i n a -
Jun 17th, 2004, 08:08 PM
And why Lena B. had so much trouble with MASL.. :confused:
Because she sucks, sir.

Congrats, Bepa.

ys
Jun 17th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Vera is going for her second final of 2004. I think she can beat Sveta. She has to hold serve.
I think that Vera's serve will benefit from grass quite a bit. She doesn't double-fault much and her reliable slice will not be easy to kill on grass.

goldenlox
Jun 17th, 2004, 09:19 PM
If Vera beats Sveta on grass, it should give Vera some confidence. And maybe light a fire under Sveta.
I want Vera to show up and play well tomorrow. At least like Pisnik did today.

Nastyafan
Jun 17th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Very impressive win today for Vera.:)
I want her to win the all Russian battle, but I'm afraid, that Vera has worse chances against Momo than Sveta and I'm divided. :confused:
Let the better tomorrow win!;)

Daniel
Jun 18th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Good luck!!!! :hug: :D :hearts: :bounce:

goldenlox
Jun 18th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Vera was serving for the match at 6-3, 5-4, 30-30. Vera missed an easy forehand into an open court, then double faulted at BP.
Now it's 6-3, 6-7(2).
Should be a good third set. Sveta is starting to play better.
Vera was broken to start the third set.
Holding serve should be Vera's practice priority. That's where her opponents know they can take advantage of her. The serve.

ys
Jun 18th, 2004, 03:42 PM
She served so well in the first two sets. Up to the 5:4 breakpoint Sveta had no prayer on Vera's serve..

goldenlox
Jun 18th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Vera lost 3-6, 7-6(2), 6-1. Vera was serving at 6-3, 5-4. And she was broken in 4 of her last 6 service games.
I think Vera can do okay at Wimbledon. One match at a time.

goldenlox
Jun 18th, 2004, 03:44 PM
She served so well in the first two sets. Up to the 5:4 breakpoint Sveta had no prayer on Vera's serve..
Sveta was playing lousy. As soon as Vera gave that 5-4 game away, it was a mismatch.

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 18th, 2004, 03:47 PM
didnt see this here :fiery:
Vera :o not another collapse :( :sad:

goldenlox
Jun 18th, 2004, 03:49 PM
73 Dokic(23)/74 Dulko
75 Castano/76 Navratilova
77 Obata/78 Q
79 Stosur/80 Zvonareva(12)

This is a dangerous first round for Vera. Stosur can play on grass.
She has to hold serve. Get through round 1, and Vera should be okay.

tenn_ace
Jun 18th, 2004, 04:09 PM
well, did Vera get tired? I guess so. that's where her fitness (or lack of it) comes in...

ys
Jun 18th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Sveta was playing lousy. As soon as Vera gave that 5-4 game away, it was a mismatch.Was it a mismatch because Sveta started playing better or because Vera stopped playing at all?

goldenlox
Jun 18th, 2004, 04:31 PM
I think Sveta had chances to break Vera, but was making UE's that were just bad shots.
After the 5-4 game, Vera's level went down, and Sveta got steadier.
I could see they were friends after the match. They both hit balls into the crowd. They were talking and laughing.

ys
Jun 18th, 2004, 04:35 PM
I think Sveta had chances to break Vera, but was making UE's that were just bad shots.
Sveta won a total of 10 points out of nearly 50 on Vera's serve before 5:4 service game.

After the 5-4 game, Vera's level went down, and Sveta got steadier.
I could see they were friends after the match. They both hit balls into the crowd. They were talking and laughing.How would you see Sveta playing Daniela given what You've seen in semis?

Epigone
Jun 18th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Greetings from Brussels :wavey:

Vera :bigcry:, but good work making the SF.

I should have gone to Eastbourne :banghead:

tenn_ace
Jun 18th, 2004, 04:38 PM
I could see they were friends after the match. They both hit balls into the crowd. They were talking and laughing.

that's just awesome! those two have a long history of playing against each other. funny, but in juniors Vera used to beat Sveta in 3-setters, especially important ones. (like Orange Bowl)

goldenlox
Jun 18th, 2004, 04:43 PM
They are definately good friends, and Vera was very close to winning this match.
Vera played a steady, solid match. Sveta was mishitting short overheads, and making all kinds of wild UE's.
The whole match turned on a forehand miss by Vera at the end of a long point. 5-4, 30-30.

Daniel
Jun 19th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Next time it wil be better Vera :)

goldenlox
Jun 19th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Vera beat Stosur in Fed Cup, right before Warsaw. So Vera knows she can win this.
And Vera played well for 2 sets against Sveta. Take care of your serve. Don't get down, stay positive.
Vera can go far here. Play your normal game against Stosur.

Gowza
Jun 20th, 2004, 01:12 AM
stosur is a tough opponent, last year she came out to matches either playing awesome tennis or very poor tennis, she seems to have found a middle ground this year and is winning a lot more matches especially at the wta level. she is a danger with her serve, groundies and volley's but i think vera will get through this one.

goldenlox
Jun 20th, 2004, 01:49 AM
I would rather Vera played a clay courter. But Vera played well in Eastbourne. She should be confident. And I expect Vera to play well these 2 weeks.

Daniel
Jun 20th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Good luck!!!! :yeah: :hug: :kiss: :bounce: :worship:

goldenlox
Jun 20th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Play just like the Sveta match. That will beat most players.
After a long point, catch your breath. Get focused. No doublefaults on big points.

Daniel
Jun 21st, 2004, 11:34 AM
Good luck!!! :bounce: :yeah: :D :hug: :smooch:

goldenlox
Jun 21st, 2004, 01:00 PM
Vera is up 6-4, 2-1.

Gowza
Jun 21st, 2004, 01:02 PM
keep going vera!

goldenlox
Jun 21st, 2004, 01:05 PM
6-4, 4-1. Vera.

goldenlox
Jun 21st, 2004, 01:25 PM
6-4, 6-4. Vera was broken at 5-3, then broke back to win. On to round 2!

AKTW
Jun 21st, 2004, 01:30 PM
Good luck in R2, Vera!

KV
Jun 21st, 2004, 01:53 PM
As expected into the next round :)

goldenlox
Jun 21st, 2004, 02:14 PM
Vera plays the winner of Obata-Birnerova.

Gowza
Jun 21st, 2004, 02:25 PM
well done vera!

tenn_ace
Jun 21st, 2004, 04:40 PM
well done Vera :kiss:

ys
Jun 21st, 2004, 04:48 PM
Overcame few brain cramps, but managed to win.. Vera has to play better in next rounds.

bubble
Jun 21st, 2004, 04:56 PM
Good job Vera! :)

Nastyafan
Jun 21st, 2004, 05:26 PM
Well done Vera.:bounce:
She almost colapsed after 5-2 again,but finaly regained her composure and closed the match.
Good luck in rd2 :yeah: but please learn how to serve for the match!:smash:

goldenlox
Jun 22nd, 2004, 12:39 AM
Zvonareva Marches On
Monday, June 21, 2004http://www.wimbledon.org/images/misc/trans.gifhttp://www.wimbledon.org/images/misc/trans.gif

A relaxed and expectant atmosphere greeted world number 14 Vera Zvonareva and big-serving Australian youngster Samantha Stosur, ranked 86, to the court for their first round match at The Championships.

The pair last met in the Fed Cup earlier this year in Zvonareva's homeland, Russia. On that occasion Stosur went down in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3. With more support on British soil the underdog seemed to have a better chance to test her opponent. This time the result was the same although the scoreline slightly better, 6-4, 6-4.

Zvonareva opened with an air of dominance by smashing two aces, but Stosur did not lose her composure. Amid shouts from the stands ("Go on Sam!") and waving Australian flags, she took the first game with powerful shots. Unpredictability ensued, with three breaks of serve before rain brought out the covers.

After the rain delay Zvonareva again broke Stosur's serve, and held her own serve in the fifth. Stosur broke her spell immediately afterwards, showing how powerful her serve is at its best. Double-faults marred her play, though. Zvonareva's baseline skills and accurate shots guaranteed her the first set as she again broke the Australian's serve.

Stosur so nearly broke Zvonareva's serve in the first game of the second set, but a fresh start was not to be. She smashed her racket against the ground and further vented her frustration by holding serve. But then she lost three games in a row.

Serving at 5-3 in the second set Zvonareva looked set to close out the match. But it was not to be, and now it was her turn to smash her racket onto the ground in frustration. Stosur delighted the crowd by reaching 40-15 on serve, but just when it seemed she could really test Zvonareva's calm, the Russian pulled out a cheeky lob.

Stosur's final shot in the tournament exemplified her plight. It was a trademark powerful volley, just wide of the mark, with Zvonareva out of reach. A little more accuracy and the 12th seeded Russian, who reached the last 16 at The Championships last year, might have been stretched to three sets.

~SunFlower~
Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:00 AM
http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forums/images/smilies/cheering.gif :bounce: http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forums/images/smilies/elephant.gif http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forums/images/smilies/rollbaby.gif

Daniel
Jun 22nd, 2004, 08:36 AM
Good luck!!!!! :kiss: :yeah: :bigclap: :bounce: :worship:

ys
Jun 22nd, 2004, 04:19 PM
Vera is not playing Olympics it seems.. :(

goldenlox
Jun 22nd, 2004, 08:31 PM
Vera plays Obata. A winnable match. Vera can play on fast surfaces. It's all about holding serve.

goldenlox
Jun 23rd, 2004, 04:25 AM
Zvonareva eyes Slam success

By Piers Newbery
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/999999.gif

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gifhttp://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40291000/jpg/_40291461_zvon_getty_203.jpg
Profile: Vera Zvonareva

Vera Zvonareva hopes to be the Russian success story at Wimbledon after her compatriots dominated the French Open.

The 19-year-old is keen to follow the example of Roland Garros finalists Ana Myskina and Elena Dementieva.

"I think it inspired all of us because before we didn't have anybody in the top 20 and now we have three or four in the top 10," she told BBC Sport.

"We all practise together and seeing Myskina and Dementieva in a Grand Slam final gave everybody a lift."

With 13 players in the world's top 100 and more young players coming through, Myskina could be the first of many Russian Grand Slam winners.

But Zvonareva, who is ranked 14th in the world and won her second career title in Memphis in February, only sees the national rivalry as positive.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gifhttp://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/img/v3/end_quote.gif If you're mentally and physically ready you can do well at any Grand Slam http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/img/v3/end_quote.gif

Vera Zvonareva

"It's really good that the Russians have proved they can do well at the Grand Slams," she said.

"We have lots of pressure but not just because of the competition between Russians - it's a competition between everyone."

Zvonareva's best Grand Slam performance to date was a quarter-final place at Roland Garros last year.

But the Muscovite also made the last 16 at Wimbledon and does not see any reason why she cannot make the breakthrough on grass after reaching the semi-finals in Eastbourne.

"If you are mentally and physically ready you can do well at any Grand Slam," said Zvonareva.

"I practiced for one week on grass in Moscow, but it's not real grass.

"But for me I can play on any surface, it doesn't matter."

And when asked her opinion of the decision to hand 47-year-old Martina Navratilova a singles wild card, and so potentially deny a young Briton a place, Zvonareva is similarly straightforward. "People want to see her play and they still have three wild cards for the younger players," said the Russian. "If they're good they'll move up the rankings and get in the draw, and she only takes up one wild card."

Daniel
Jun 23rd, 2004, 09:25 AM
Good luck!!!!! :worship: :bounce: :D :kiss: :hearts:

Daniel
Jun 24th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Good luck!!! :clap2: :hug: :bowdown: :bounce: :)

goldenlox
Jun 24th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Vera up a break, 3-0 against Obata.

goldenlox
Jun 24th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Vera serving at 5-1.

goldenlox
Jun 24th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Vera's up 6-1, 3-3. Vera breaks, serving 4-3. Bring on grandma!

goldenlox
Jun 24th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Vera wins 6-1, 6-4. Has long as you hold serve, you'll do fine here.

goldenlox
Jun 24th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Vera plays Dulko. Take care of your serve. You'll get chances to break.
But you have to hold in as many service games as you can.

goldenlox
Jun 25th, 2004, 02:19 PM
On serve, 2-1.

goldenlox
Jun 25th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Vera up 5-2.

goldenlox
Jun 25th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Vera was broken, back on serve 5-4.

AKTW
Jun 25th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Vera 6-4

goldenlox
Jun 25th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Vera up 6-4, 3-0.

goldenlox
Jun 25th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Vera was broken at 4-0, now serving 4-2.

goldenlox
Jun 25th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Vera won 6-4, 6-2. Now comes a tougher match. But again, hold serve, and you can beat anyone on grass.

KV
Jun 25th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Good win :)

AKTW
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Well done Vera!
Keep it up!

ys
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Good composed match from Vera. She is again one match away from Top 10.

And if it happens, there will be 5 Russian in Top 10.

goldenlox
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:30 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040625/capt.xwim19806251755.wimbledon_xwim198.jpg
Russia's Vera Zvonareva plays a return to Argentina's Gisela Dulko during their Women's Singles, match at Wimbledon, Friday June 25, 2004.
(AP Photo/Sang Tan)

goldenlox
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Vera and Nastya won 6-4, 6-2. Vera plays Davenport next. Vera has played her a lot.
If she can keep holding serve, she has a real chance.

Peer101
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Move SLOW Davenport around Vera :woohoo:

Lets hope it stops :rain:

cool_olga
Jun 27th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Hey, very late but finally I found myself not too lazy to do that. Few pics of Vera from Warsaw.

http://www.anastasia-myskina.com/main/video/mypics/Vera.jpg

http://www.anastasia-myskina.com/main/video/mypics/Vera2.jpg

http://www.anastasia-myskina.com/main/video/mypics/Vera3.jpg

http://www.anastasia-myskina.com/main/video/mypics/Vera4.jpg

http://www.anastasia-myskina.com/main/video/mypics/Vera5.jpg

http://www.anastasia-myskina.com/main/video/mypics/VeraLena.jpg

http://www.anastasia-myskina.com/main/video/mypics/VeraLena2.jpg

http://www.anastasia-myskina.com/main/video/mypics/VeraLena3.jpg

http://www.anastasia-myskina.com/main/video/mypics/VeraLena4.jpg

richy
Jun 27th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Saw vera play dulko at wimby on friday and i have to say she looked pretty impressive, ive always been a fan of vera since she beat venus at roland garros and i have a very good feeling that she will go far at this years tournament.

Rich

Verba
Jun 27th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Good luck to Vera against Davenport!!! This one will be really hard...

Marat Safin fan
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:17 PM
If my sweet Vera wins she will be in the top 10?!?

cool_olga
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:33 PM
She has for sure chance. Lindsay not that impressive this year but has big serve, that helps on grass.
Good luck Vera!

Daniel
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Good Luck :kiss: :dance: :clap2: :yeah:

goldenlox
Jun 27th, 2004, 04:56 PM
This match will be a real test for Vera. She has to hold her serve. One win from the top 10 again.
Udachi Vera!!

Cuddles
Jun 27th, 2004, 05:55 PM
She will win 6-0 6-3, as usually.

goldenlox
Jun 27th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Vera is on Centre Court. Stay focused, and hold, hold, hold!!!

Centre Court 1.00 pm Start
1. Ladies' Singles - 4th Rnd.
Lindsay Davenport (USA)[5] v. Vera Zvonareva (RUS)[12]

Epigone
Jun 27th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Vera has to come out swinging at everything. There is nothing to be gained by playing defensively against Lindsay. She has to move Lindsay around, and then blast angled shots to the sidelines. Vera took the 1st set in Lindsay by playing attacking tennis, which is something she usually fails to do against the top players. She has the firepower to outhit Lindsay from the baseline, so the most important thing to do will be to hold serve. Her 64% of 1st serves in against Dulko is encouraging, but I feel that she may also need to crank up the pace a little.

From what I've read, Vera sounds confident. From what I've heard, Vera was hitting with power and precision during her 1st round doubles match. If she can get Lindsay on the back foot, and eventually get Lindsay to the point where she drops her shoulders, Vera can move in for the kill. Vera hasn't beat a higher-ranked opponent since Dokic at Toronto last year, but I really feel that Vera will take this match if she serves well and dictates the points from the baseline.

On a disappointing note, Vera and Nastya withdrew from doubles because Nastya has a sprained toe :sad:

goldenlox
Jun 27th, 2004, 08:42 PM
I'm sure this will be on ESPN, so I'll get a good look at Vera's game. I liked the first 2 sets against Sveta.
That level might win tomorrow.

goldenlox
Jun 28th, 2004, 12:07 AM
Vera has won 9 of her last 12. Her losses were to Amelie, Maria, and Sveta. So Vera is playing well.
But she needs to beat players like Lindsay once in a while.

Verba
Jun 28th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Vera, please, beat Davenport and bring a bit of happiness - I'm so frustrated after LenaD, Sveta and Hastya losses... :sad:

Daniel
Jun 28th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Good luck :yeah: :)

ys
Jun 28th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Good fight, Vera.. But Hippo has more power.

Daniel
Jun 28th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Vera lost :sad: third time this year she loses against Linds :sad:

AKTW
Jun 28th, 2004, 01:35 PM
At least Vera did fight.

bubble
Jun 28th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Yeah, she did fight.. But blew a 3-0 lead in the 2nd set, that was costly...
If only she could push it to a 3rd set and I'm sure Lindsay will wilt... Well, better luck next year Vera

goldenlox
Jun 28th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Vera was up a break, 3-0 in the second, but lost 6-4, 6-4. Still this was a good grass season for Vera.
More chances to make the top 10 this summer.

Verba
Jun 28th, 2004, 02:17 PM
I didn't see the match - just followed it online...
Why did Vera could not hold the advantage in th second set?

Thanks...

bubble
Jun 28th, 2004, 02:23 PM
I didn't see the match - just followed it online...
Why did Vera could not hold the advantage in th second set?

Thanks...
Lindsay stepped up her game and hit her groundstrokes with added power and precision , forcing Vera to be on the run all the time.

the cat
Jun 28th, 2004, 04:36 PM
A player of Vera's ability should be able to win a set after going up 3-0 as she did in the second set against Davenport. If she had gotten the match to a third set Davenport may have become dissapointed and faded away.

goldenlox
Jun 28th, 2004, 04:38 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040628/capt.xwim12406281514.wimbledon_xwim124.jpg Mon Jun 28,11:17 AM EThttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/nws/p/ap120.gif (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/ap/brand/SIG=br2v03/*http://www.ap.org)
Russia's Vera Zvonareva plays a return to Lindsay Davenport during their Women's Singles, match on the Centre Court at Wimbledon Monday June 28, 2004. Davenport won the match 6-4, 6-4. (AP Photo/Anja Niedringhaus)

ys
Jun 28th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Vera had points for 4:0 in the second. Those points could well have been the match points.

goldenlox
Jun 28th, 2004, 05:54 PM
There will be other tournaments. Nastya and Lena had the French. Maria has this tournament.
Vera will get her moment of glory also. She just has to keep working towards it.

Epigone
Jun 28th, 2004, 07:25 PM
I didn't get to see the match because I was stuck watching German players on German TV, but this loss really hurts. I know it's Vera, but I thought that she would be able to hold a break (and almost go up a double break) against a top player for once.

I just wish that Vera would compete against top 10 players. She has the talent to beat them, but I think she lacks the confidence to get the job done. Once again she has missed her shot at the top 10, but she has probably defended her points from last year, which is a good thing.

Vera messed up, but hopefully she'll learn from this experience (I seem to type that after every tournament). Vera isn't even 20 years old, and I think she still has confidence issues, so I'll just wait for however long it takes her to sort herself out.

goldenlox
Jun 28th, 2004, 10:45 PM
I saw the second set. I don't think grass is a good surface for Vera. Lindsay was forcing the issue too much.
But Vera got some wins on grass. She'll be fine.

Gowza
Jun 28th, 2004, 11:32 PM
im a bit disappointed after seeing that she was up 3-1 in the 2nd set but as much as i was hoping that vera would win this match before it began i always thought davenport would. vera does need a couple of good solid top 10 wins, when she was up in that 2nd set i thought she had a real chance however i was only following on the net and didnt get to see the match.

to take some positives away from the match vera isnt that comfortable on grass and this was actually a good match for her i think because im hoping that she now believes she can compete with the top players on grass as she did give davenport a bit of trouble.

good luck next tournament vera!

Verba
Jun 29th, 2004, 02:07 AM
This is a part of Lindsay press-conference interview. Is it true that Vera cried on the court? :crying2:

Q. Did you notice after you broke Vera back to 3‑2 that she was sobbing during the changeover, crying really hard?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: No, I didn't know that.

Q. She seems to be a pretty emotional player, crying, throwing her racquet.

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I didn't know that at all. I tend to not focus on my opponent at all. But that's surprising, given that the score line was just back on serve.

Q. Do you think her emotions ‑‑ you see her throw a racquet once in a while, she was obviously crying, she's got a good amount of game, but yet to break through to another level, do you think it's more in her head or do you think she still has some technical deficiencies?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I think she's a good player. I think she hits the ball well. Probably the only thing that is holding her back maybe is mentally. You know, she does have a temper. I didn't know she was so emotional. I didn't realize she was doing that today.

But I think she's still young. I mean, I think she's fast, she hits the ball well, and if she keeps improving, I think she'll do well. But it seems like she probably has to get over some hump. You can't be probably crying. Who knows what's going on with her, but it seems like a bizarre time to be upset, that upset.

goldenlox
Jun 29th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Vera didn't cry on the court.
ESPN didn't show the changeover, they were on tape, and went to commercial. She might have cried while sitting down.
She was still on serve then. Vera was broken again, later in the set.

goldenlox
Jun 29th, 2004, 04:16 AM
On NBC tonight they said Vera was crying. She wants to win so badly.
But crying doesn't help you win. It's a release of emotion. Maybe it doesn't hurt.
But keeping focused is the most important thing. All that hard work you do, you have to be very focused on court, to make that work show up in results.

ys
Jun 29th, 2004, 04:21 AM
I am sure she is not crying. Maybe she is sweating, maybe something else. Vera is one of few players to whom I have nothing but a sympathy.

goldenlox
Jun 29th, 2004, 04:24 AM
I have the delayed tape that ESPN showed. And she wasn't crying during play. But who knows what happened when she was sitting during the changeover.
It's a stressful game. These women put their heart and soul into it.
The things you love, just like the people you love, you get very emotional over them.

ys
Jun 29th, 2004, 04:29 AM
The things you love, just like the people you love,
,just like the players you love..

you get very emotional over them.

goldenlox
Jun 29th, 2004, 04:34 AM
I've said this before - tennis is not only their life's work, it's their first true love.
You have to absolutely love something, to push yourself like they do.

ys
Jun 29th, 2004, 04:42 AM
I've said this before - tennis is not only their life's work, it's their first true love.
You have to absolutely love something, to push yourself like they do. And we have a happiness to relive all that with them. No, really, when sometimes I really feel like I am in my fave's head and I can almost really feel all that they feel. Nerves, anger, being unsure, frustrated, excited, desperate, happy, inspired. It happens only in tennis. not in any other sport. That's why I love it. And I would really, really want to see Vera win big. I can feel how much she wants it. And I will be able to feel how happy will she be.. A happiness from Nastya's victory was really, _really_ spoiled by Elena's demise, even for her, and even more for us.. I want to see pure happiness in them.. I want them to radiate it. I want to be radiated.

Verba
Jun 29th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Vera is one of few players to whom I have nothing but a sympathy.

Me too...She's really nice girl...and talented player...

Verba
Jun 29th, 2004, 08:26 AM
On NBC tonight they said Vera was crying. She wants to win so badly.
But crying doesn't help you win. It's a release of emotion. Maybe it doesn't hurt.
But keeping focused is the most important thing. All that hard work you do, you have to be very focused on court, to make that work show up in results.

Yep, maybe, she was too tense...
Maybe, she realized that she's able to win (potentially) but something doesn't work... :sad:
It's pity I didn't see the match...

Nastyafan
Jun 29th, 2004, 09:56 AM
And we have a happiness to relive all that with them. No, really, when sometimes I really feel like I am in my fave's head and I can almost really feel all that they feel. Nerves, anger, being unsure, frustrated, excited, desperate, happy, inspired. It happens only in tennis. not in any other sport. That's why I love it. And I would really, really want to see Vera win big. I can feel how much she wants it. And I will be able to feel how happy will she be.. A happiness from Nastya's victory was really, _really_ spoiled by Elena's demise, even for her, and even more for us.. I want to see pure happiness in them.. I want them to radiate it. I want to be radiated.
Well said. I feel the same.
Poor Vera crying again. She is probably the most touching player on tour when she is upset:sad: :hug:

Epigone
Jun 29th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Vera :bigcry: :hug:

I have no doubt that Vera was crying. After seeing her distressed reaction after she netted three balls in a row during practice, and seeing break down in a number of matches, throwing away a chance at a double break was bound to set her off.

After watching her practise in Sydney, I came away thinking that I had never seen someone so determined not to make mistakes. Some people like to make fun of her crying outbursts, but I've seen the effort that she puts into her game, and I feel nothing but sympathy for her. She's not a bratty player, she's a very good sport, and off court, she is really sweet. In other words, the crying isn't part of some spoilt girl routine. Sure, I think it's detrimental to her game, but she is putting everything she has into her tennis. With time, I think that she'll become more mentally resilient, and then her opponents had better watch out.

But to me, the strange thing is that when Vera does win, she shows very little emotion. After her 4th round match at the French Open last year, she was subdued. She said that she was tired, but I can't really remember Vera celebrating after any victory. I hope that she's saving it up for when she wins big, like she will when she learns to play it cool :cool:

goldenlox
Jun 30th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Vera will be fine. At the majors, Vera is losing to Lindsay and Maria, two of the best players in the game.
It's too bad she didn't make the Olympic team. It stinks that all 6 Russians in the top 15 can't go.

Verba
Jun 30th, 2004, 01:42 AM
At some point I'd like to see Vera beating the best players....
Overall, I'm positive about Vera because she's consistent...
I can't figure out what in her game is missing...

ys
Jun 30th, 2004, 01:49 AM
At some point I'd like to see Vera beating the best players....
Overall, I'm positive about Vera because she's consistent...
I can't figure out what in her game is missing...
I can tell you what. Fitness. She needs to get leaner. She needs to drop 3-4 kilos and become 2-3% faster. She can do that.

Daniel
Jun 30th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Ys,
dont you think if she gets leaner she could lose some of her power, I saw her last year in Miami and she is not that slow, bu tI think she could be faster but I dont know if her game might change coz of that.

goldenlox
Jun 30th, 2004, 10:42 PM
I don't think Vera is overweight. She is just in a period where she's not improving. So she's not beating the top players, and the best young players, like Maria and Sveta, are passing her.
Vera has to keep working. Maria and Sveta are very hard workers. Very intense.
If Vera can stay with those 2, she'll get in the top 10, and stay there.

Epigone
Jun 30th, 2004, 11:12 PM
Maria and Sveta are confident in their abilities, while Vera is not. Their confidence shows through in the grit and determination of their facial expressions, while Vera's lack of confidence shows through in the tears that fall from her eyes.

As soon as Vera really believes that she can win, the 30-30 scoreline will lead to a breakpoint chance for her, and the 30-0 score on serve will lead to a hold, and not to a battle to avoid being broken. It's all mental, and it's the one facet of the game in which Vera is seriously lacking.

goldenlox
Jun 30th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Vera doesn't have as good a serve as Maria and Sveta. So she's at a little disadvantage.
But she did well in Eastbourne and at Wimbledon. I need to see Maria-Lindsay, to judge the Vera-Lindsay match with more perspective.

ys
Jun 30th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Vera doesn't have as good a serve as Maria and Sveta. So she's at a little disadvantage.

Right, but Vera's serve is more slicy, and that is good on grass.

Epigone
Jun 30th, 2004, 11:38 PM
It's true that her serve has been a weakness for a long time, but I don't know how she can go about fixing it. Sveta is roughly the same height as Vera, yet she serves better, and Maria has a height advantage and better physical conditioning. I think that Vera could probably serve a little faster, but I'm happy with the way that she is able to place the ball and vary the spin. I won't forget that at the Australian Open this year, she aced Lindsay three times in her opening service game.

The major problem with the serve is that it cracks under pressure. Double faulting on BP when serving for a place in a Tier II final is not something that a player of Vera's calibre should be doing. There was also a time in the Memphis final when she served a DF on BP. These are the little problems that need to be ironed out. She needs to work out a way to free up her arms and get the serve in. She could then go from losing the game to getting deuce. In a 6-4 6-4 loss, being able to get the ball in on BP could make a huge difference in the outcome of the match.

goldenlox
Jul 1st, 2004, 01:34 AM
What Vera should do is train hard, and try hard. Do the best that she can. And I'm sure she's doing that.

Daniel
Jul 1st, 2004, 08:16 AM
Good luck !!!! :D :D

Epigone
Jul 1st, 2004, 05:03 PM
What Vera should do is train hard, and try hard. Do the best that she can. And I'm sure she's doing that.There is training hard, and then there is training smart. Daniela Hantuchova used to have three hour training sessions every morning during the tournament in Sydney, but the speed and accuracy of her serve continued to get worse. She was biomechanically analysed between Sydney and the AO (or so was the plan of her ex-coach Harold Solomon), and now that her service motion has been altered, she is serving with improved speed and accuracy.

Maybe there is some aspect of Vera's motion that is letting her down? She could practise serving for hours on end, yet not improve because of a flaw in her service motion. I think that she should have her serve analysed to see if it can be improved. I have no doubt that players like Masha have been analysed to fine tune their shots and extract all of the available power. Vera should take advantage of the technology available to see if it can improve the physical aspect of her game. The mental aspect is a completely different thing, and I believe that she should also work with a professional to improve that area of her game. There are plenty of things that Vera can do away from the practise court that could tremendously improve the way she plays. I hope that she makes an effort to exploit the help that is available.

goldenlox
Jul 1st, 2004, 05:19 PM
I feel a special affinity for Vera, because I also live life with my heart. And I cry a lot. Mostly they're happy tears.
And I have watched Vera very closely on tv this year. I saw her win Memphis. I saw several losses.
If Vera wants to be "biomechanically analysed" this offseason, I don't know how that will hurt.
But I think Vera should just work hard, enjoy her practices, and try to win every point that she can.
And never be ashamed to cry.

Epigone
Jul 1st, 2004, 06:20 PM
Should I be :fiery: that Vera hasn't been selected in the Olympic team? Well, I am very :fiery: at the moment. I could ultimately accept it if Maria was selected in singles, with Nadia selected in doubles, but a doubles team of Nastya and Lena D at the expense of Vera??? :rolleyes: Vera has played some great doubles this year, and she has formed a good partnership with Nastya. A team of Vera and Nastya has a better shot at a medal than Nastya and Lena D.

Vera takes great pride in representing Russia, she plays Fed Cup whenever she has the chance, and she took it on the chin after being humiliated by the team in the tie against France last year. What's more, she's lining up to play Argentina next week after being slapped in the face by Tarpischev. :yeah: to Vera for being one classy young woman.

Vera could have been an Olympian like her mother, but she doesn't get rewarded for her good doubles form, and for showing loyalty to her team and country. And when I look through the list of "players" from other countries, I'm even more mad. If Maria gets a wildcard, and Vera is left out so that Elena D can play doubles, I will boycott the Olympics.

goldenlox
Jul 1st, 2004, 06:32 PM
It's out of Vera's control now. This spring, Vera needed to have better results.
So it came down to doubles. Lena D. was in a US Open doubles final.
I wish all 6 top ranked Russians could go to Athens.
Vera will be 23 in 2008. It's far away. But if you want something badly enough, you have to work for it, and be patient.

Daniel
Jul 2nd, 2004, 03:02 PM
It is sad Vera wont go to Athens :sad:

goldenlox
Jul 4th, 2004, 03:20 AM
It's time for Vera to win more titles -

http://www.wtnphotos.com/data/603/21238917477zvonareva.jpg

Daniel
Jul 4th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Good luck!!!! :bounce: :D :kiss: :yeah:

goldenlox
Jul 6th, 2004, 03:40 AM
Vera's next tournament will be Tier II L.A., starting July 19th. Not far from birthday #20.
Those teen years dwindling to a few dozen days.
Enjoy every one of them!

goldenlox
Jul 6th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Vera in Paris -

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hungary/zvona02.JPG

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hungary/vz03.JPG

Daniel
Jul 7th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Good luck!!!!! :D :clap2:

goldenlox
Jul 8th, 2004, 10:41 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040626/capt.xwim19706260157.britain_wimbledon_tennis_xwim 197.jpg Fri Jun 25, 9:59 PM EThttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/nws/p/ap120.gif (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/ap/brand/SIG=br2v03/*http://www.ap.org)
Russia's Vera Zvonareva plays a return to Argentina's Gisela Dulko during their Women's Singles, match at Wimbledon Friday, June 25, 2004. (AP Photo/Sang Tan)

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Vera is in Argentina. But she may not play singles in this Fed Cup tie.
Her next tournament is Tier II L.A.

Daniel
Jul 10th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Good luck!!!! :bounce:

goldenlox
Jul 10th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Vera in Argentina -

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/anexos/imagen/04/296680.JPG

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/anexos/imagen/04/296681.JPG

Gowza
Jul 11th, 2004, 06:27 AM
good luck vera at your next tournament! i just hope she stays with tennis and doesnt change over to soccer ;)

Daniel
Jul 11th, 2004, 07:00 AM
:bounce: :worship: :yeah:

goldenlox
Jul 11th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Vera will play Diaz-Oliva to win this Fed Cup tie. Just like beating Stosur in Moscow.

-Em-
Jul 11th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Vera won her match against Diaz-Oliva 6:3, 6:0
--> Well done Vera :yeah: :yeah:

vaiva
Jul 11th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Well done, Verunchik! :kiss:

Nastyafan
Jul 11th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Well done Vera!:yeah: :bigclap:
She repeated yesterday's Nastya's score:hug:

goldenlox
Jul 11th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Vera takes care of business again. She plays L.A. next, along with Sveta, Maria, Lena and Nadia.

goldenlox
Jul 11th, 2004, 08:39 PM
http://www.fedcup.com/shared/medialibrary/image/gallery/FC_1414_gallery.JPG

Vera in Argentina

goldenlox
Jul 11th, 2004, 09:33 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040711/capt.dsl10807111842.federation_cup_argentina_russi a_dsl108.jpg Sun Jul 11, 2:45 PM EThttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/nws/p/ap120.gif (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/ap/brand/SIG=br2v03/*http://www.ap.org)
Vera Zvonareva of Russia returns to Mariana Diaz Oliva of Argentina, Sunday, July 11, 2004, during their Federation Cup game in Buenos Aires. (AP Photo/Daniel Luna)

goldenlox
Jul 11th, 2004, 10:55 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040711/capt.dsl11107111843.federation_cup_argentina_russi a_dsl111.jpg Sun Jul 11, 2:46 PM EThttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/nws/p/ap120.gif (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/ap/brand/SIG=br2v03/*http://www.ap.org)
Vera Zvonareva of Russia serves to Mariana Diaz Oliva of Argentina , Sunday, July 11, 2004, during their Federation Cup game in Buenos Aires, Argentina. (AP Photo/Daniel Luna)

goldenlox
Jul 12th, 2004, 02:54 AM
It must have been very cold if Vera was playing in sweatpants.

tenn_ace
Jul 12th, 2004, 02:57 AM
especially that she didn't have to break a lot of sweat ;)

goldenlox
Jul 12th, 2004, 03:00 AM
If Suarez played, this tie would have been competitive. I want Vera to raise her game up another level this summer.
Vera's turning 20. It's time to get into the top 10.

ys
Jul 12th, 2004, 02:31 PM
In one of his last interviews Tarpishev said some strange phrase which was in essence that Vera MAY play Olympic doubles if she qualifies. No idea what that meant.

-Em-
Jul 12th, 2004, 02:35 PM
In one of his last interviews Tarpishev said some strange phrase which was in essence that Vera MAY play Olympic doubles if she qualifies. No idea what that meant.

ok, that's really strange :scratch: Who would she play those doubles with???:scratch:

goldenlox
Jul 12th, 2004, 02:54 PM
That's great. Vera deserves to be there. 6 Russians in the top 15. They all deserve to be in Athens.

Verba
Jul 12th, 2004, 04:01 PM
ok, that's really strange :scratch: Who would she play those doubles with???:scratch:
Nastya... :confused:

-Em-
Jul 12th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Nastya... :confused:

I thought Nastya was supposed to play doubles with LenaD... :confused:

goldenlox
Jul 12th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Vera and Anastasia have had some good results. Vera deserves to be in Athens.
And it's a family tradition.

-Em-
Jul 12th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Vera and Anastasia have had some good results. Vera deserves to be in Athens.
And it's a family tradition.

Sure she deserves to play in Athens...and i hope she will actually...it's just that it doesn't sound really realistic, since the acceptance lists are already made...

ys
Jul 12th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Sure she deserves to play in Athens...and i hope she will actually...it's just that it doesn't sound really realistic, since the acceptance lists are already made...
She is on acceptance list. She is an official alternate of Team Russia. She may play doubles. She could play singles if one of her teammates withdraws.

goldenlox
Jul 12th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Vera should be chosen for doubles. She and Nastya are a team.

-Em-
Jul 12th, 2004, 07:45 PM
She is on acceptance list. She is an official alternate of Team Russia. She may play doubles. She could play singles if one of her teammates withdraws.

oh, okay...i didn't know that...my bad :rolleyes:

Daniel
Jul 13th, 2004, 12:29 PM
:bounce: :kiss: Vamos!!!

goldenlox
Jul 13th, 2004, 04:41 PM
I think Vera is playing Cincinnati this summer. She'll be #1 seed. Vera still has a good chance to make the top 10.

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 02:49 AM
I think Vera has been playing pretty well. She lost 4 & 4 to Lindsay in the fourth round of Wimbledon. Almost beat Sveta in the Eastbourne semis. Lost to Maria in Paris. And lost to Amelie in the semis in Rome.
Good, solid results. Just beat the players you're ranked ahead of. Of course, try your best against everyone.

ys
Jul 14th, 2004, 03:00 AM
I believe in Vera.. Even if it sounds funny in Russian..:)

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 03:02 AM
I have faith in Vera.

ys
Jul 14th, 2004, 04:37 AM
I have faith in Vera.
Still sounds funny.. :lol:

Epigone
Jul 14th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Hey Vera fans :wavey:

I've been away for what seems like ages because I've been in Moscow and couldn't find a decent internet connection :sad:. I'm very happy to read that Vera was able to close out another Fed Cup tie, and I hope that she does play Olympic doubles.

While in Moscow, I tried to check out Chaika (Vera's first club), and Spartak. I'm pretty sure that I found the right Spartak, but I'm not sure if I found the right Chaika. I tried to ask about Vera in my poor Russian, and the guys there got a little impatient :o. Anyway, I'll post some pictures etc. later. It's time for me to get out and explore St Petersburg.

:bounce: Udachi Bepa!!! :bounce:

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Sounds like a great trip. Tell us more about tennis clubs in Moscow, and the rest of your vacation.

ys
Jul 14th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Hey Vera fans :wavey:

I've been away for what seems like ages because I've been in Moscow and couldn't find a decent internet connection :sad:.
You should have asked beforehand, we would tell you where to get it. When I am in Moscow , I am mostly using the Internet Cafe on Manezhnaya Square ( next to Red Square ) in the underground shopping mall. It is not as cheap ( about $4 per hour ), but it is a comfortable place, good bandwidth, and available 24 hours a day.

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:45 AM
Vera has about 550 points to defend for the rest of this year. That's not a lot. Decent results can get Vera into the top 10.

ys
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:54 AM
Vera has about 550 points to defend for the rest of this year. That's not a lot. Decent results can get Vera into the top 10.
Not playing Olympics make her and Sharik Russian best chances at the Open.

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:58 AM
No Olympics, no YEC for Vera. The US Open is the only big one left.
But Vera can pick up a lot of points by winning Cincinnati.
I think Vera should play a few Tier III's. Try and win a few more trophies.

ys
Jul 15th, 2004, 02:03 AM
No Olympics, no YEC for Vera.
And why is that? Vera is 350 points behind #7 in the Race. That's a price of one decent tournament.

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2004, 02:04 AM
I'm looking at the names in front of her in that race to L.A., Sveta, S&V, Jennifer, Lena.
But you're right, it's not over.

Daniel
Jul 15th, 2004, 06:32 AM
Good luck!!!! :bigclap: :bounce: :worship: :kiss: :smooch:

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2004, 02:25 PM
I think Vera's best chance to get to L.A. would be to play a lot this summer. The fields will be weaker than usual.
Vera's playing pretty well now. Win some Tier III's.

goldenlox
Jul 17th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Vera is in Serena's quarter, and Vera should get that far -

[12] Farina Elia v. Morigami
Tanasugarn v. Bartoli
Pisnik v. Strycova
Bye v. [8] Zvonareva

TartarVicario
Jul 17th, 2004, 09:30 PM
It's a mediocre draw :).Vera had better meet Serena in Q.F. :)

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 17th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Vera :) a pretty good draw
she better not underestimate her 1st opponent
focus and do the job :)

goldenlox
Jul 17th, 2004, 10:27 PM
I think Vera will show up ready to play. She made the semis in Eastbourne and Rome. She lost to Davenport and Sharapova at the last 2 majors.
Vera has been consistent. She needs to keep that level of focus.

cool_olga
Jul 18th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Good luck!
Saw some pics from Eastbourne she seems to loose some weight

goldenlox
Jul 18th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Vera doesn't have a weight problem. People are just looking for reasons to criticize her, because we all thought Vera would be top 10 by now.
So Vera's game is developing at a slower pace than we want. It's okay.
Vera will raise her level of play as soon as she can.

cool_olga
Jul 18th, 2004, 04:32 PM
I don't criticize her :/
I saw her working hard, doing lot running more than others. She's great player was just saying she looks very good lately