PDA

View Full Version : Vera Zvonareva rise to the top thread !!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

ys
May 1st, 2004, 01:30 AM
Again one win away from Top 10..

Mathijs
May 1st, 2004, 08:37 AM
Well Done Vera :woohoo:, it's gonna be tough against Venus but if you believe in yourself i think you should and will win!!! :worship:

cool_olga
May 1st, 2004, 10:27 AM
I gotta tell you guys that i was so nervous at her match against Pistolesi. It could have gone different. But really, Vera was playing so smartly. I admire her because she had to be extremely regular and patient. She wasn't making many errors and was hitting very good shots from side to side. It was so good match from her.
Now Vera will be practicind before 13, I will go there to see her. I can't wait to see match against Williams, it will be tough but she did beat her at Roland Garros and she is very good form now. She trains with Lena L. all the time and I think it's very good for her. They have fun together but also play incredible rallies and training is very good.
btw. I love the way vera gets mad :P Even on trainings she talks to herself and do funny things.

Yesterday we made this interview, you can read it here http://www.inside-tennis.net/index.php?action=article&id=37

btw. I didn' know Vera is so nice, really. She agreed us to make her official website :worship:
Will try to talk to her bit more today. She always does running after the matches I belive and she playes doubles semifinal later.
VERA IS SO COOL !! :D

Epigone
May 1st, 2004, 11:52 AM
From http://www.inside-tennis.net/index....n=article&id=37 (http://www.inside-tennis.net/index.php?action=article&id=37)
Q. Talking about person. What kind of person you are?

- On court I',m playing and I can do some bad stuff (smiling) but off court I'm fine, I don't know... :lol: Vera is the coolest player on the tour. She has awesome skills, and she is so sweet off the court. That's why she's my favourite player. I really hope that she can get some good results in the near future so that she will get the respect that she deserves.

Epigone
May 1st, 2004, 02:17 PM
Venus rolled Vera 6-3 6-2 :bigcry:. Vera put up a fight early, but after Venus broke in the first set, the floodgates opened. She still has two big red clay tournaments before the French Open, so I'm not totally shattered.

Good luck to Vera and Lena in their doubles match today. Vera still has a very good chance of leaving Warsaw with a title :)

cool_olga
May 1st, 2004, 02:36 PM
http://www.inside-tennis.net/index.php?action=news&id=82

So pity :sad: I was really cheering for Vera. But today it was completely different game then yesterday. If she had played like yesterday I would say she would have win today too. Maybe she was not warmed up enough. Yesterday before her match she was training with Likhovtseva and today I saw her doing just running and some streching.
Look foward to see her in doubles now. Hope this loss won't affect her game. She and Lena are strong favourites.
God luck Vera, wonder if she will come to press conference now

cool_olga
May 1st, 2004, 03:22 PM
Just saw the conference. Eben though she lost she was very very nice as always. She was joking with journalist a bit and finally tought us how to spell her surname :P

moo_ont
May 1st, 2004, 03:30 PM
Vera :sad: Only one match to be in the top 10. I really hope she will get through this kind of matches next time. She deserves that.

Thanks Ola for the interview and all. :D

goldenlox
May 1st, 2004, 04:41 PM
That is a great interview. I didn't know that Vera's mom won a bronze medal in the Moscow Olympics.
And field hockey is a dangerous sport to play. Tennis is much better.
Nothing wrong with playing Venus in a semifinal. Keep it going in Berlin.

Zvonareva Vera RUS vs. Qual
Zuluaga Fabiola COL vs. Testud Sandrine FRA
Pierce Mary FRA vs. Likhovtseva Elena RUS
Sugiyama Ai JPN Bye

goldenlox
May 1st, 2004, 08:08 PM
Vera/Lena lost the doubles semi, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4. On to Berlin.

goldenlox
May 2nd, 2004, 12:38 AM
8 byes in Berlin. And Vera has to play a first round match. That's a great incentive to get into the top 10.

Zvonareva Vera RUS vs. Qual

Epigone
May 2nd, 2004, 01:08 AM
Vera/Lena L :sad:

Zuluaga isn't an ideal 2nd round opponent on clay, but Vera has the game to take her out. Vera just needs to keep the number of UEs to a minimum.

goldenlox
May 2nd, 2004, 01:09 AM
There is nothing easy about Tier I's on clay. That's why I want a bye.

Epigone
May 2nd, 2004, 05:23 AM
Here's something that I never thought I'd see. Venus fans in the GM forum are praising Vera for her good sportmanship in the match against Venus. Read about it here (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=113078). I'm glad that other people are beginning to respect Vera for the way she plays the game :)

Daniel
May 2nd, 2004, 09:20 AM
:worship: :bounce: :yeah:

cool_olga
May 2nd, 2004, 02:55 PM
Lol, that doubles semifinal was funny :D Vera is just great, it's so enjoyment to watch her, not just because of the game but she causes funny situations. She was so mad after first set loss because she made some errors, she was throwing her raquet, kicking the surface, screaming and stuff :P But the funniest moment was when she and Lena sat on the banches and Lena looked at Sveta (who was on the tribunes) and smiled commenting Vera's bahaiviour, then she clapped Vera on her back and Vera tossed the raquet, lol. Hard to explain but matches with Vera guarantee some funny situations, Lena is cool too :p

goldenlox
May 2nd, 2004, 03:30 PM
Vera is playing doubles with Nastya again -

Li / Sun vs Myskina / Zvonareva
Krizan / Srebotnik vs Kostanic / Tartarova
Testud / Vinci vs Schett / Schnyder
Bye vs Black / Huber

goldenlox
May 2nd, 2004, 05:50 PM
Vera plays Tatiana Perebiynis, who is ranked about #90. First meeting.

goldenlox
May 2nd, 2004, 07:14 PM
Zvonareva Vera RUS vs. Tatiana Perebiynis
Pierce Mary FRA vs. Likhovtseva Elena RUS
Sugiyama Ai JPN Bye

So Vera will probably face Zuluaga, and then Pierce. Very tough. And then Kim.
Vera reached the quarters last year, beating Nastya.

goldenlox
May 2nd, 2004, 07:52 PM
Vera has only lost to Justine and Venus on clay this year. I would like to see Vera get revenge against Pierce.
The good thing about tough draws, it keeps Vera healthy. I want a good draw at Roland Garros.

cool_olga
May 2nd, 2004, 11:06 PM
I think vera has a chance here if she only plays her game. She trains very hard from what I've seen. Before the match with Pistolesi she was training with Lena L. very hard, every elements, and after each match she goes running. She really impressed me, she's very tough girl

goldenlox
May 2nd, 2004, 11:11 PM
It's asking a lot for Vera to get to the semis here. If she gets to Kim in the quarters, it's a good effort.

Epigone
May 2nd, 2004, 11:39 PM
I expect Vera to at least make the QF, but she will really need to focus in the early matches. I think that her serve is letting her down at the moment, but it probably won't be a huge liability against her early opponents because they won't attack it as much as players like Venus Williams.

cool_olga
May 2nd, 2004, 11:46 PM
With her serve she had much troubles with it agints Venus :sad: Earlier it was fine. She was getting mad sometimes when first serve wasn't in. This is the element she should imporove, like every Russian btw

goldenlox
May 2nd, 2004, 11:46 PM
Vera can make the top 10 this week -

Since Mary Pierce is in Ai Sugiyama's sixteenth, and Fabiola Zuluaga is in Vera Zvonareva's, we wouldn't bet all that much on Sugiyama and Zvonareva meeting in the Round of Sixteen -- but that's the way they're drawn, and if they do meet, there is a real chance that it will decide who is Top Ten next week.

goldenlox
May 3rd, 2004, 04:12 AM
I'm not concerned about when Vera gets into the top 10. I want her to enjoy herself. She's 19. Her game is going to improve.
I want her to have fun, and keep her cool in matches.

Epigone
May 3rd, 2004, 10:40 AM
I'm not concerned about when Vera gets into the top 10. I want her to enjoy herself. She's 19. Her game is going to improve.
I want her to have fun, and keep her cool in matches.I agree. I just want Vera to show some of her off-court personality on court. She should just try to smile and have fun. Life is too short to be sad.

cool_olga
May 3rd, 2004, 10:54 AM
Yeah agree too. It's always nice when player is smiling on the court. Vera was smiling a lot but only in doubles. In singles she was focused and wanted to do her best at every shot.

KV
May 3rd, 2004, 02:56 PM
Good luck in Berlin. Hopefully Ai won't do so well on the European red clay like she did last year. Generally throughout her career Ai's results on red clay hasn't been too good. So good chance for Vera to catch her. GO Vera

goldenlox
May 3rd, 2004, 09:35 PM
Vera/Nastya won 6-4, 6-4. Vera plays Tatiana Perebiynis tomorrow.
Vera should be able to take care of business.

cool_olga
May 3rd, 2004, 09:42 PM
http://www.red2proserver.de/mcgo2003/fotoarchiv/fotogalerie/03052004/0305zvonareva_IMG_3309.JPG

Vera nice girl :D

Epigone
May 3rd, 2004, 10:10 PM
Vera/Nastya :bigclap:

It's good to get a doubles win early.

goldenlox
May 3rd, 2004, 10:14 PM
Vera has been getting good results in doubles this year. I think she will move into the top 15 in 2004 earnings this week.
I want Vera to take home a nice check after every tournament.

Epigone
May 3rd, 2004, 10:33 PM
I've got to admit that I only pay attention to Vera's ranking, and not her prizemoney. I'm more concerned about Vera's enjoyment of her tennis, rather than how much money she makes. But at the end of a hard tournament, it's nice for Vera to be rewarded for her effort :)

goldenlox
May 3rd, 2004, 10:38 PM
At the end of each week, I want Vera to walk away knowing she did something special.
When you get a check equal to what it takes most adults a full year or two to earn, it must feel good.

goldenlox
May 4th, 2004, 03:35 AM
Vera in Memphis -

http://www.wtnphotos.com/data/603/21238917477zvonareva.jpg

goldenlox
May 4th, 2004, 04:27 AM
Vera is first on tomorrow. That's good. She can win quick, and get some rest.

Epigone
May 4th, 2004, 05:40 AM
I don't want Vera to feel like she has to get the match over quickly. She was like that In her match against Pratt at the AO, and she hit way too many UEs and was taken to three sets. She can afford to take her time and not go for impossible winners. It's important for Vera to serve well and just get used to the surface.

Epigone
May 4th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Vera defeated Tatiana Perebiynis 6-3 6-4 :dance:

Vera trailed *2-3 in the 1st set after being broken in her opening service game, so she did well to fight back. Vera still has trouble holding serve at times :o. Top 10 opponents won't let her back into the match so easily.

Mathijs
May 4th, 2004, 03:00 PM
well done Vera good fightback i'm satisfied with the result, i think she can do well at Berlin GO Vera!! :bounce: at least reach the SF or F is even better :D

cool_olga
May 4th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Congratz Vera :worship:

We took her many pics in Warsaw, should be ready to see soon :)
Go Vera kick some butts in Berlin !!!

goldenlox
May 4th, 2004, 08:45 PM
A good start for Vera. Tomorrow she plays Zuluaga for the first time. Lena L. is helping to clear out this section of the draw.
A good chance to make the top 10 this week.

Epigone
May 4th, 2004, 09:56 PM
If you go to wtatour.com, there is a picture of Vera on the front page with the following caption:

Off-Court in Berlin - Vera Zvonareva is just one of the players signing autographs, visiting the zoo and participating in other activities this week.Here (http://www.wtatour.com/newsroom/stories/NewsArticle_4236_rx.asp) is the link to the story. It's great to see that Vera is getting some exposure on such a prominent website. It seems that Vera does a lot of autograph signing at each tournament she attends, so it's nice to see her being recognised for being so friendly to the fans :worship: . I'm also really happy that she takes time out from tennis to do things like visit the zoo, as it helps to keep her life balanced :).

goldenlox
May 4th, 2004, 10:19 PM
http://www.wtatour.com/global/photos_rx/zvonareva_4237_rx.jpg
WTA Tour
http://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gif
Players Keeping Busy Off-Court in Berlin

BERLIN - Many players have been busy this week - on and off the court at the Ladies German Open in Berlin.

After successfully moving into the second round with a 63 64 victory against Tatiana Perebiynis, No.9 seed Vera Zvonareva took time to visit the Dubai Duty Free booth to sign some autographs.Dubai Duty Free is the WTA Tour's Presenting Sponsor, Middle East/Asia-Pacific.

On Monday, Zvonareva paid a visit to the Berlin Zoo with countrywoman Svetlana Kuznetsova. The Russian pair took pictures of the animals and also had the opportunity to pet a rhinoceros.

goldenlox
May 4th, 2004, 10:20 PM
On Monday, Zvonareva paid a visit to the Berlin Zoo with countrywoman Svetlana Kuznetsova. The Russian pair took pictures of the animals and also had the opportunity to pet a rhinoceros.

Now there's a doubles partner. Lena L. won't be around forever.

goldenlox
May 5th, 2004, 12:25 AM
This is Vera's fourth clay tournament of 2004. She has only lost to Justine and Venus.
Vera can play at a level that should beat Zuluaga.

Epigone
May 5th, 2004, 03:43 AM

Now there's a doubles partner. Lena L. won't be around forever.Funny you should mention that. Look at this picture from Warsaw.

http://seles.webpark.pl/Warsaw/SvetaVeraMe.bmp

Vera seems to get on well with all of the Russinas. I think that most of them would love to play doubles with her. I just hope that she doesn't hurt anyone by picking one friend over another as her doubles partner.

goldenlox
May 5th, 2004, 03:53 AM
I think Vera plays doubles because she enjoys it. I can understand wanting to play with a friend.
There are several good players Vera is friends with.

cool_olga
May 5th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Vera seems to get on well with all of the Russinas. I think that most of them would love to play doubles with her. I just hope that she doesn't hurt anyone by picking one friend over another as her doubles partner.

I think that Russains are liek big family now. Vera, Sveta and Lena training together in Warsaw when they only can. Training and having fun. Sveta watching Vera & Lena doubles. Going to the hotel in one car - Vera & Sveta & Lena. Just Nastya wasn't with them. I just think these 4 get on very well with each other, they are at every tournament toghether and do many things together there. It's for sure fun for them :D

TheBoiledEgg
May 5th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Vera messed it all up :rolleyes:
had so many break pts it was unbelievable and only took one.

serve for 2nd set and blew it
had 3 set pts to take it 6-4 and blew it

finally took TB 76(2)
then 3rd set was story of set 1, missed chances all over

1-6 7-6(2) 1-6 loss to Zuluaga :mad: so disappointing :(

cool_olga
May 5th, 2004, 05:52 PM
this is one of many pics of Vera in Warsaw, this is from press conference, she was veeeery nice :)

http://www.inside-tennis.net/gfx/vera.jpg

cool_olga
May 5th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Me Vera and Lena after their doubles match
And me and Vera after she did running
:)

- L i n a -
May 5th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Olga, you're gorgeous. :hearts:

You look kinda like me. :)

ghosts
May 5th, 2004, 07:57 PM
boy, great pics :drool:

but such a bad loss today in Berlin :sad: :(

goldenlox
May 5th, 2004, 08:32 PM
I was hoping Vera would beat Sugiyama this week. But you can't play deep into every tournament, it wears you down. At least Vera has a few days to rest before Rome.
Vera/Nastya play Kostanic/Tatarkova tomorrow.

Epigone
May 5th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Vera :bigcry:

She failed to take advantage of her numerous chances and lost to a great clay courter, thus failing to defend her points from last year :sad:

Hopefully she and Nastya can play well in the doubles and boost their rankings.

goldenlox
May 5th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Vera played IW, Miami, AI, Charleston, Fed Cup, Warsaw, and Berlin.
Next she plays Rome, Vienna, and RG.

I'm not worried about defending points. If Vera doesn't lose early once in a while, she would have to skip tournaments. Very busy schedule.

Mathijs
May 5th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Vera :bigcry: what the hell went wrong??? :confused:, you can't loose to a player like Zuluaga :mad: (well she did :rolleyes: )

goldenlox
May 5th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Vera should beat Zuluaga, but Vera has to play well to do it. Vera hasn't been on her best form since Memphis.
Hopefully in 3 weeks she will have found her best form again.

ys
May 6th, 2004, 01:40 AM
Vera has never reached semifinals two weeks in a row, so her early loss this week was somewhat predictable.

goldenlox
May 6th, 2004, 01:53 AM
Vera could have won against Zuluaga and still not make the semis. That's not a good reason.
Vera just didn't play well enough. It happens.

goldenlox
May 6th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Kim withdrew, just like Indian Wells, and Vera couldn't take advantage of it. It's okay, plenty more tennis this year.
Vera/Nastya lead Kostanic/Tatarkova 4-1, they finish tomorrow.

goldenlox
May 7th, 2004, 01:58 AM
I don't see Vera's name on the entry list for any grass tournaments before Wimbledon.
I think she should play Birmingham and Eastbourne. Get some matches on grass before the big one.

Epigone
May 7th, 2004, 09:12 AM
I think that Vera really hates grass because the low bounce doesn't suit her extreme grip. I checked the entry lists a week ago, and she wasn't on the list for Eastbourne, Birmingham, or Rosmalen. She'll probably just go back to Moscow and relax before heading to Wimbledon. Given the fact that Wimbledon was the only tournament she played on grass last year (she played Vienna instead of a warm up grass tournament), getting to the 4th round was an excellent result.

cool_olga
May 7th, 2004, 12:34 PM
That's what I asked her at press conference. She said that playing Vienna was bad decision that it's not good to play on clay a week before. She said she just takes time off but her preparation for Wimbl4don aren't those tournies but she goes week earlier to London and practice on grass

goldenlox
May 7th, 2004, 08:25 PM
I think she should play a grass warmup. Why not? Go make some money. Why practice for free?
Vera/Nastya beat Black/Huber 6-1, 6-0 after beating Kostanic/Tatarkova 6-2, 6-4. They play semis tomorrow.

cool_olga
May 7th, 2004, 09:06 PM
I don't knoe GL, she just said it works better for her...I don't go into that.
Great win in doubles :) Good luck in next round!

goldenlox
May 7th, 2004, 11:23 PM
It's looks like Vera is going to drop behind Sveta in next week's rankings. It could mean she will be hard pressed to make the Olympic team. Unless Vera starts having better results.
Losses to Dechy, Craybas, and Zuluaga, all in the early rounds of Tier I's, are not going to help Vera's ranking.

Epigone
May 8th, 2004, 03:18 AM
But Vera's doubles results have improved so much that she should be selected as a doubles player.

Final - Memphis
SF - Indian Wells, Amelia Island, Warsaw, Berlin*
QF - Charleston

If it's a choice between Vera and Elena Bovina, Vera should get the nod because she has demonstrated her good form in a number of tournaments. Bouncing the #3 seeds 6-1 6-0 was a pretty awesome display.

goldenlox
May 8th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Vera gets a bye in Rome. She might play Dinara in round two -

Zvonareva [8] vs bye
Safina vs Santangelo [WC]
Bovina vs Pisnik
Barna vs Schnyder [11]

goldenlox
May 8th, 2004, 04:45 PM
I think the main thing for Vera is to gain some consistency. When I saw her win the Memphis final, I was expecting a big spring.
Now I don't know what will happen in round two.

goldenlox
May 8th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Vera/Nastya are in the third set against Husarova/Martinez. If they win, 3 Russians are in the doubles final.

cool_olga
May 8th, 2004, 06:17 PM
If it's a choice between Vera and Elena Bovina

Here is no doubt for me. Bovina lost her good game....and weight

Vera has always played well on clay...in Warsaw it was semifinal and lost to Venus, not bad...But in Berlin this loss to Zuluaga is strange for me. Maybe Rome will be more lucky

TheBoiledEgg
May 8th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Vera's draw could have been alot kinder
Dinara in r2

Vera needs to get back into Top 12 slot for RG, she is one spot away with Kim out.

9-12 seeds have it alot easier in 4th rd.

Vera needs to make a mark on the dust.

goldenlox
May 8th, 2004, 07:04 PM
This draw is fine, Vera even has a bye. It's up to Vera to take care of business.

goldenlox
May 8th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Vera/Nastya lost in the semis 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.

Epigone
May 8th, 2004, 10:17 PM
:sad: A good effort, but reaching the final of a Tier I would have been a great achievement. Nevertheless, Vera's doubles ranking keeps moving up nicely. I hope that Vera and Nastya can repeat this kind of form at the French Open.

goldenlox
May 8th, 2004, 10:20 PM
They won 7 straight sets. Then they lost the two biggest sets, when they were close to the finals.
The top half of the doubles draw was much tougher, imo.

goldenlox
May 9th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Vera is not playing doubles, very unusual. Might as well play in a Tier I.
She played doubles in Memphis, where there was no money.

Epigone
May 10th, 2004, 01:17 AM
Yes, it's really surprising that Vera isn't playing doubles. Her doubles results have been better than her singles results lately, and a Tier I is a great place to pick up some good points and prize money. Could it be that she simply couldn't find a partner?

goldenlox
May 10th, 2004, 01:19 AM
I don't know. My first thought was that Vera wants to focus on singles, and she's not happy with her Berlin result.
That's just a guess. I'm pretty sure Vera could find a partner. She's one of the best players in the world.

Epigone
May 10th, 2004, 08:37 AM
I think you're right. Vera probably justs wants a break from doubles before the French Open, and she needs to focus on getting seeded as high as possible. Sveta only played singles in Warsaw, and will only play singles in Rome. Vera needs to do what her head and body tell her to do. There is no point increasing the risk of injury by playing singles and doubles at every tournament.

cool_olga
May 10th, 2004, 02:13 PM
yeah, you;re right guys. I am not sure but it probably is Vera's fifth consecutive week on clay tournaments. I think she can feel tired. And I'm sure that it isn't a partner case because I'm sure Nastya would play with her. I think now singles is the most important thing, and i think that at this level you don't think about money so much anymore. I hope that it will help her to play better, she probably knows what she is doing

goldenlox
May 10th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Vera plays Dinara, who beat Vera in Sopot 2002. Should be a good match.

goldenlox
May 11th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Vera has not won 3 matches at a tournament since Memphis. And she has had some very good draws.
That includes IW, Miami, AI, Charleston, Warsaw, and Berlin.

Epigone
May 11th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Vera's form has been disappointing since Memphis :since:. Sure, Justine beat her once, and Venus beat her twice, but she also lost matches to players ranked lower than her. She just needs to focus during each match, and the results will come because she is very talented.

goldenlox
May 11th, 2004, 03:36 AM
This happens to good players. I just think it's interesting that for 6 straight tournaments, Vera has won only one match or two. Never more than that.

cool_olga
May 11th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Players have good times and bad times. I hope the good time will come now

goldenlox
May 11th, 2004, 09:52 PM
This is another good draw for Vera. The highest seeds she can play if she beats Dinara are Patty and Nastya. This is an opportunity for Vera to reach at least the semis.
But she has to play well to do it.

Epigone
May 11th, 2004, 10:32 PM
On red clay, you would normally like Vera's chances of making at least the SF in these circumstances, but she seems to really be struggling at the moment. I thought that her play would improve on green clay, then I thought it would improve on red clay, but that hasn't really been the case. Hopefully she will peak for the French Open and this bad patch will be forgotten :)

goldenlox
May 11th, 2004, 10:36 PM
I've already forgotten Berlin. It's time to move forward. A good draw here, and then Paris. There is still time for Vera to have a good clay season.
I think this draw is her best since Indian Wells.

Epigone
May 12th, 2004, 12:33 AM
Judging by the comments on the GM board, not many people think that Vera will win.
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=114237

Vera needs a win over a top 10 player to silence her critics. Dinara is a good player, but Vera can handle her. I just don't know where Vera's head is at the moment, and that has got me worried.

goldenlox
May 12th, 2004, 12:38 AM
There are 5 Russians in this quarter. And Schiavone, Schnyder, and Reeves.
It's a great opportunity for everyone in this section of the draw. But Vera is the best clay court player of this group.

Gowza
May 12th, 2004, 02:16 AM
i know dinara has beaten vera in there only meeting but being where they both are atm in their careers i would be very surprised if dinara won. i would like both of them to win but that cant happen. and i think vera has a better chance to go further in the tournament.

Epigone
May 12th, 2004, 09:15 AM
If Vera is focused, she should win this match in two. Dinara was able to push Maria S. in Berlin, but Vera is one of the best claycourters on the tour. so she should be able to control the match.

cool_olga
May 12th, 2004, 06:14 PM
I think so too. Dinara still isn't that good lik Vera is, Vera is more experienced and mature. And better on clay for sure. Vera can play really great tennis. If she only is focused she will win this match. And now when Nastya is out she has good chance to make semis.

goldenlox
May 12th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Vera won 1-6, 6-4, 6-2. Now she plays Lena B. This is the softest section of the draw, we'll see who takes advantage of it.

cool_olga
May 12th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Congratz :) Wonder what happened it first set.
I think bovina is not in her best. She is too thin definitely. Vera should win

Epigone
May 12th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Vera :bigclap:

Nice to see that she kept it together after a poor 1st set. As much as I like Lena, I hope that Vera rolls her and moves into the QF. The draw has really opened up for Vera, so she has to make this opportunity count. This can't be another repeat of IW or Berlin :sad:.

goldenlox
May 12th, 2004, 09:42 PM
This is a soft section for a Tier I. Beat Lena B. and Schiavone to make the semis.

Epigone
May 13th, 2004, 01:45 AM
I know that Lina wants to see Lena smack Schiavone in the head, but I don't think that she'll get a chance this tournament. Vera should win this match, but she can't afford to have a blowout like the 1-6 1st set against Dinara :sad:

goldenlox
May 13th, 2004, 01:47 AM
Lena B. got this far when Schnyder retired. Vera should win, but Lena beat her badly in Melbourne 2003.

Epigone
May 13th, 2004, 08:55 AM
The situations for both players have changed so much since January '03 that I'm not really worried about their past matches. It is essential for Vera to win this match because she needs to build some confidence before the French Open, plus she also needs to get some more points because her ranking is slipping.

Vera should go out there and move Lena around. If Vera is patient and keeps the ball in play, she will wear Lena down. Vera isn't playing doubles in Rome, so she will have more energy in reserve than normal. She needs to step up and play at a higher level from this match on.

ghosts
May 13th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Well done Vera on yesterday's great win ;) :)

goldenlox
May 13th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Vera won 3&0. She plays Schiavone. Vera beat her at RG 2002, 7-5 in the third.

Epigone
May 13th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Vera handed out a kicking that even I didn't expect. Although she faced some BPs, it seems like she was in complete control of the match.

Schiavone will be a tough opponent, but Vera appears to have regained some of her clay form, so I'm hoping for another win :).

goldenlox
May 13th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Vera will not see an easier draw at a Tier I. She hasn't won 3 matches at one tournament since Memphis.

goldenlox
May 13th, 2004, 05:07 PM
I wanted Lena to at least win a few games, and walk away with her head up.
But Vera should not be tired after today. It would be nice to reach a Tier I semi.

Epigone
May 13th, 2004, 05:26 PM
If she can stay focused against Schiavone, Vera will be hard to beat. It's a lack of focus/confidence that is causing her problems. I think the bagel in the second set shows that Vera had her mind on this match.

cool_olga
May 13th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Congratz Vera! :)
I think she now has pretty high chances against Schiavone. I think Vera is in good shape if she won with Lena so easily. Schiavone is good but not too much, not to beat Vera in a good form.

ghosts
May 13th, 2004, 06:16 PM
another superb performance ;)
keep it up :D

goldenlox
May 14th, 2004, 12:51 AM
So far Vera has only beaten other Russians in Rome. And the Russians have not been playing well.
Let's see how Vera does against Schiavone.

goldenlox
May 14th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Vera decided not to play doubles in Rome. If she beats Schiavone, it's the right decision.
Please don't play doubles in Vienna. Win that singles title. There's no money in doubles there.
Get the singles points.

Epigone
May 14th, 2004, 03:54 AM
I'm disappointed that she's not picking up some Tier I doubles points. Her doubles ranking as climbed dramatically since Memphis. I'd like to see it improve even more.

goldenlox
May 14th, 2004, 03:57 AM
Vera made a decision to skip doubles. If she keeps winning, it becomes hard to argue with it.
She can get doubles points at Roland Garros. I think she wanted to focus totally on singles in Rome.

Epigone
May 14th, 2004, 04:01 AM
I want her to do well in singles, but with the way that she has struggled, there's a good chance (although I hope not) that she'll be the #5 Russian when the Olympic team is selected. Vera needs to show that she should be selected as a doubles player, although I think that Tarpischev already has her in the team.

goldenlox
May 14th, 2004, 04:04 AM
We don't know the reasons why Vera didn't play doubles. We do know that she's in the quarters.
So I will accept that Vera has a good reason to do this.

KV
May 14th, 2004, 01:38 PM
In this week tournament Vera made up for her disappointing loss against Zuluaga. She def. Dinara and won easily against Lena

Epigone
May 14th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Vera leads Schiavone 6-3. She served for the set at 5-1, but was broken :help:. I hope that she keeps fighting and books a place in the SF.

KV
May 14th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Good start Vera make up for your disappointing loss last week :)

Epigone
May 14th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Vera beat Schiavone 6-3 6-3. She is on a roll :yippee:

The next step is to make the final!

ghosts
May 14th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Congrats :woohoo:

TheBoiledEgg
well done Vera :D :) :yeah:
nicely done without the usual torment.

KV
Great result you made up for last week + she's finally gone past Ai on the ranking. :)

Gowza
May 14th, 2004, 03:38 PM
well done vera!

cool_olga
May 14th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Woohoo :woohoo:
Congratz Vera!! Great result again :yeah:

Stupid rain, I could see that match on tv if not rain

Epigone
May 14th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Since Vera is the first player throught to the SF, there is a nice picture of her on the front page of www.wtatour.com (http://www.wtatour.com). I love to see Vera getting recognition in prominent places :woohoo:

ys
May 14th, 2004, 05:43 PM
We will find out tomorrow whether it was just a good day or maybe Vera is peaking at just the right time.

goldenlox
May 14th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Right now, the best place to be is the second highest seed in Nastya's section of the draw.
Vera has not played badly on clay. Just the Zuluaga match.
At Indian Wells, she had a fortunate draw also. This time Vera came through.

Epigone
May 15th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Right now, the best place to be is the second highest seed in Nastya's section of the draw.I agree. I think that Vera can beat Nastya, especially on clay. Nastya is not in the best of form at the moment, and I think that Vera would be mentally okay against her.

Epigone
May 15th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Vera lost the first set to Mauresmo 2-6, after breaking in the opening game :help:. I hope that she can focus and take the match in 3 :)

goldenlox
May 15th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Vera lost 6-2, 6-3. She beat Dinara, Lena B., and Schiavone.
Good luck in Vienna.

Epigone
May 15th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Vera lost 2-6 3-6 :sad:

She led 30-0 at *3-4 in the 2nd, but blew it :banghead:

Vera is in good enough form to make the QF at the French Open, but if she really focuses, she is capable of more.

I think that after this week, she will be the favourite for Vienna.

Vera, I believe in you :hug:

goldenlox
May 15th, 2004, 03:02 PM
On clay, Vera lost to Justine, Venus, and Amelie. Plus Zuluaga. She can make the RG quarters if she draws well.
But she's playing okay. Vera is not in a slump. She's just not peaking.

Roxers
May 15th, 2004, 03:07 PM
:sad:

But she can definetly do very well at the French ! UDACHI VERA :D

TheBoiledEgg
May 15th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Vera :sad: :sad:

Vienna draw is out and Vera's not playing

wise choice i say
after this week she doesnt need it.

goldenlox
May 15th, 2004, 03:32 PM
You're right. A long week of red clay tennis right before Paris is too much.
Rest up and do your thing at the French Open.

cool_olga
May 15th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Pity Vera lost :sad: but Mauresmo is not playing her best.
Very wise decision on not playing Vienna, very smart.
Now she must prepare for RG as good as she can.

goldenlox
May 16th, 2004, 12:53 AM
http://www.telecomitaliamasters.com/news/_upload/_upload/pop_zvonareva14.jpghttp://www.telecomitaliamasters.com/_masters/img/dummy.gifhttp://www.telecomitaliamasters.com/_masters/img/dummy.gifhttp://www.telecomitaliamasters.com/_masters/img/dummy.gifVera Zvonareva

Epigone
May 16th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Where will Vera go to prepare for the French Open?

goldenlox
May 16th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Vera moved back to #11 in the world with her semifinal appearance in Rome.
Still plenty of opportunities to reach the top 10. Vera can do it. And she will do it.

Epigone
May 17th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Moving up three places in the rankings thanks to the great performance in Rome will hopefully improve Vera's chances of a 4th round win at the French Open :yippee:

As long as Vera plays well at the French Open and Wimbledon, I think that she'll be in the top 10 by July or August. She missed some big hardcourt tournaments last year with an injured left elbow, so she really only has to defend QF points from Toronto in the period from the end of Wimbledon til the start of the US Open.

bubble
May 17th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Vamos Vera

goldenlox
May 17th, 2004, 10:41 PM
http://www.telecomitaliamasters.com/news/_upload/_upload/pop_zvonareva14_3.jpghttp://www.telecomitaliamasters.com/_masters/img/dummy.gifhttp://www.telecomitaliamasters.com/_masters/img/dummy.gifhttp://www.telecomitaliamasters.com/_masters/img/dummy.gifVera Zvonareva

Epigone
May 18th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Despite not playing doubles last week, Vera is up to a career-high #20 in doubles :bounce:

Daniel
May 18th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Vamos Verita :kiss:

goldenlox
May 18th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Vera has to defend 334 points in Paris. But that's it for the huge points to defend. If Vera can get through to the quarters again, she'll be in a great situation to be a member of the top ten elite this summer.

Epigone
May 19th, 2004, 05:24 AM
Vera should be seeded #10 for the French Open, so I wonder who her potential 4th round opponent will be :scratch:. If she could choose her opponent out of the current top 8, I bet that she'd choose Nastya. Nastya doesn't like the French Open, and Vera beat her last year in Berlin. I guess it all just depends on where the Williams Sisters are seeded.

- L i n a -
May 19th, 2004, 05:27 AM
Vera could play Bovina in the 3rd round.

I wouldn't overlook a quality opponent like that.

Vera could also play Masha there too.

Epigone
May 19th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Although Vera blew a match against Craybas this year, she would have to play badly to be troubled by either of those two players at the French Open :p.

Vera playing consistent claycourt tennis can only be matched by the best claycourters on the tour. Lena may have been there, and may still return. Masha hasn't really demonstrated form on clay, except for in Rome .

- L i n a -
May 19th, 2004, 06:39 AM
BOVINA d. Zvonareva 6-2 6-1 '03 Aussie Open

Zvonareva d. BOVINA 6-3 6-0 '04 Rome

Thus, logic dictates that Vera will only win 3 games in their next meeting. Thanks.

Epigone
May 19th, 2004, 09:00 AM
:wavey: In Vera's cheering thread, we try to be realistic.

Epigone
May 20th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Go here (http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/videos/archive/22fa42e8e2ac820100256d3a004ccb4e.html) to see highlights from Vera's QF match at the French Open last year. It's the match after the Clijsters/Martinez match.

It's amazing how many balls Vera managed to run down. I hope that she plays to that standard again this year because the match report from her SF loss in Rome suggested that she hit a lot of UEs :sad:.

goldenlox
May 20th, 2004, 09:03 PM
I've seen Vera play Amelie, Venus, Justine, and Lisa this spring. I don't think the problem is being steady, it's not having the weapons to finish points.
Vera has to outlast players in rallies. And get her first serve in.

Epigone
May 21st, 2004, 01:12 AM
I've seen Vera play Schett, Pratt x2, and Davenport x2. In my opinion, Vera does have the weapons to finish off points, but she seems to find herself playing too defensively against the top players. Her first serve is too weak, so top players can attack her on the return = Vera goes defensive. When Vera was returning against Lindsay, she had trouble picking Lindsay's serve for some reason = Vera struggling to return balls = put under pressure again. When Vera went ultra-aggressive against Lindsay in Sydney, she smacked Lindsay 6-1 in the opening set.

I know that the pace is much slower on clay, but you just have to look at how she set up the point against Nadya in that highlight clip. She just ripped a crosscourt forehand at a shallow angle, which then opened up the other side of the court for a winner. Vera hits great angles, so she should combine her moonballs with powerful shots that take her opponents out of court.

Gowza
May 21st, 2004, 01:17 AM
vera does have weapons when she wants to use them, i saw that match against pratt live in the stadium and i was shocked how hard she hit the ball and how many winners she was hitting, the reason being i had only seen her play against top players before then. against the lower ranked players she is aggressive and hits many winners. ther serve could be a partial problem but vera does have the weapons to mix it with the top players and to finish points plus she has great angles also.

go vera!

goldenlox
May 21st, 2004, 01:37 AM
I don't think Vera has the weapons to hurt the top players. And when Vera played Raymond, Lisa had a short ball at match point, 2-5 ad, and hit too safe an approach. Or that match was 6-2 in the third for Lisa.
Maybe against Pratt Vera has too strong a baseline game, but not against better players.

Gowza
May 21st, 2004, 01:41 AM
vera was doing one two punches against pratt. she can hang in their pretty well defensively with the top players now she just needs to find a way when nshe is playing defensive against those players to pick the right shot to go for the big groundie.

goldenlox
May 21st, 2004, 01:46 AM
I don't think she can rally with the top players. Vera will hit a short ball, or make an error, when she has to play those really good players.
I think Vera has to work on her focus, just holding her whole game together at the best level she can play. Then the other player has to have an off day.

Gowza
May 21st, 2004, 01:51 AM
rally, no but defensive is different to rallying imo. like against venus last year at RG she counterpunched to keep the rally going and then when she had the chance hit the angled winner witht the backhand. wimbledon was a different story. i think vera will have a lot of trouble sticking with the top players on grass for sure and probably even hardcourt. but on clay she can definately rally with the top players through her counter punching skills.

goldenlox
May 21st, 2004, 01:56 AM
Going into this clay season, I thought that also. But Amelie, Justine and Venus hit with too much pace and depth. Vera can't match it.
Of course, Vera is 19, and those three aren't. I think Vera has time on her side.

Gowza
May 21st, 2004, 02:00 AM
justine and venus might but i dont think mauresmo does. everyone says she hits with so much pace but in reality she doesnt hit as hard as the other top players.

goldenlox
May 21st, 2004, 02:07 AM
Amelie controlled the baseline rallies in their Rome semi. And Amelie can finish points a lot better. Especially that one handed backhand.

Gowza
May 21st, 2004, 02:12 AM
i dont know last year when she took mauresmo to 3 sets (i think she vera lost 4-6 in the 3rd) i thought she was going to start to get some big wins but since then she has gone a bit backwards not challenging the top players as much.

you probably know more about tennis and this stuff than i do so i respect your opinion alot and think you have a lot of valid points.

goldenlox
May 21st, 2004, 02:16 AM
I didn't see enough of that close match with Amelie in Moscow. Just webcam. But Venus was off her best game at the FO last year.
And that happens, sometimes to the best players. Vera took advantage of it. That's what Vera has to do against top players. Hang in there, and play the best she can.

Epigone
May 21st, 2004, 02:26 AM
I'm convinced that when Vera plays well, she can challenge anyone. She can compete with anyone from the baseline, but she seems to change her game when she plays higher ranked opponents. She lets her opponents dictate the points. Yes, Vera has a counter-punching style of game, but can slaughter the ball when she wants. The problem is that she can become erratic when she really winds up, particularly on her forehand. That's where the focus is required. Vera has to let her opponents know that she won't be intimidated by their power.

goldenlox
May 21st, 2004, 02:34 AM
I think Vera has to change her game against the best players. Because she can't dictate play against them. She has to make defensive shots to stay in the points.
When the top player are 'on', there's nothing Vera can do. She has to try her best, and stay positive.
Maybe her opponent will have a down period during the match.

Epigone
May 21st, 2004, 01:46 PM
The French Open Draw is out here (http://www.rolandgarros.com/fr_FR/scores/draws/ws/r1s1.html).

Vera has drawn a qualifier in the 1st round, and either Serna or Moragami in the 2nd round. She could face Maria Sharapova in the 3rd round, and Nadia Petrova in the 4th round. I was hoping that she'd face Myskina in the 4th round :o, but I'd prefer Vera playing Nadia over Capriati or Davenport.

Udachi Vera! :bounce:

goldenlox
May 21st, 2004, 02:50 PM
Serna has not had a good year, but she's a good clay courter. I would rather play Maria here than Wimbledon.

Daniel
May 22nd, 2004, 09:20 AM
Good luck Vera :)

goldenlox
May 22nd, 2004, 03:24 PM
I think Vera is the favorite in every match she plays here until Nadia. Even then, Vera is probably a slight favorite this spring.
So it's a question of Vera being consistent, and taking care of business.

VERA ZVONAREVA RUS (10) vs. Qualifier
Magui Serna ESP vs. Akiko Morigami JPN
Rita Grande ITA vs. Henrieta Nagyova SVK
Barbara Schwartz AUT vs. MARIA SHARAPOVA RUS (18)

Eleni Daniilidou GRE (27) vs. Marlene Weingartner GER
Amy Frazier USA vs. Maria Elena Camerin ITA
Qualifier vs. Mara Santangelo ITA
Catalina Castano COL vs. NADIA PETROVA RUS (8)

Epigone
May 22nd, 2004, 03:35 PM
I think that Vera definitely has the talent to at least make the QF in this draw, but I am worried about her lapses in concentration. The loss to Craybas in Miami still worries me, and is a perfect illustration of the trouble that Vera gets herself into for no apparent reason. If she can focus consistently in matches, she'll be making the QFs and beyond at many more tournaments, including this one.

goldenlox
May 22nd, 2004, 03:44 PM
A major is no place for lapses in concentration. Vera has a good draw here. It's the last clay tournament of the year. And with the Olympic team being picked in mid June, Vera has plenty of motivation.

goldenlox
May 22nd, 2004, 05:59 PM
******************** lists Vera and Nadia as darkhorses. But Maria is listed as one of the 10 lead contenders.

goldenlox
May 22nd, 2004, 06:40 PM
Vera plays Zuzana Kucova (SVK), who is 21 and ranked about #200.

Epigone
May 23rd, 2004, 01:46 AM
******************** lists Vera and Nadia as darkhorses. But Maria is listed as one of the 10 lead contenders.Vera results on clay have been fairly good, and her losses on clay have come against top clay players. To argue that Masha has a better shot at a QF than Vera or Nadia is a foolish statement. If Masha couldn't match Vera on a hardcourt surface in Memphis, why would she be able to beat Vera on clay? It's amazing what Max and the hype machine have achieved in such a short amount of time :rolleyes: .

Epigone
May 23rd, 2004, 02:10 AM
Just look at Vera's record on clay. Except for her 2nd round loss in Berlin, Vera has made the QF or better of every claycourt tournament she has played stretching back to her 2nd round loss to Coetzer at Amelia Island in '03. So from Charleston last year to Rome this year, Vera has made it to at least the QF in 10 out of 12 tournaments.

I don't want to see the state that Vera would need to be in to be defeated by Sharapova. It would be too distressing for me to watch.

cool_olga
May 23rd, 2004, 12:44 PM
I don't think Vera would lost to Masha :rolleyes:

Epigone
May 23rd, 2004, 03:38 PM
Court 7 11:00 Start
1. Women's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Dinara Safina (RUS)[32] v. Julia Schruff (GER)
followed by:
2. Men's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Lars Burgsmuller (GER) v. Nicolas Mahut (FRA)
3. Women's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Vera Zvonareva (RUS)[10] v. Zuzana Kucova (SVK)
4. Men's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Mark Philippoussis (AUS)[18] v. Luis Horna (PER)

Udachi Bepa! :bounce:

daniela86
May 23rd, 2004, 03:48 PM
Good luck my Vera!!!!!! :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: I also don't think Masha will defeat her.Although Masha played well at Roma, Vera loves the French Open and she always had luck here and she must be very very motivate so I think she will go far here, I have a good feeling about it! :)
Udachi Bepa!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Btw, she will play at 11 a.m :mad: :mad: I can see her because of school :mad: :mad: :mad:

goldenlox
May 23rd, 2004, 04:04 PM
Vera's match won't be on tv, you have to be there. If Vera does play Maria, it should make ESPN.

Epigone
May 24th, 2004, 09:20 AM
I hope that Vera is focused and has a straight sets victory. She needs to build her confidence with a nice win first up.

goldenlox
May 24th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Vera won 6-0, 6-2. She plays Serna, who won 8-6 in the third.

Mathijs
May 24th, 2004, 06:56 PM
easy win, good play Vera, keep it up!!! GO Vera!! :bounce:

Epigone
May 24th, 2004, 10:00 PM
A great start for Vera. She needs to keep up the good work.

Here (http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/stats/day7/2009ms.html) are the match stats. Vera's 1st serve percentage is maybe a little low, and 4 DFs aren't good. In fact, she was even broken once :eek:. She hit 29 winners (including 4 aces :yeah: ) and 16 UEs. Again, she would probably like to cut down on the UEs, coz 16 is a little high.

In other news, I'm :fiery: that the French Open website doesn't have a picture of Vera in her profile. Afterall, she made the QF there last year. The same thing happened on the AO website. It's disrespectful to Vera :(.

goldenlox
May 24th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Not an easy draw. Serna loves clay, Maria is playing well, Nadia should get through.
Vera will be tested. She really needs to do well here.

Epigone
May 24th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Serna was pushed to 8-6 in the third, while Vera had a comfortable victory. Vera's results on clay have been quite good this year, while Serna has struggled. Vera should beat Serna in straight sets, and then aim to crush Masha like a bug. The French Open is Vera's tournament, and she has to think with a killer instinct.

goldenlox
May 24th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Vera has to be confident, I agree. Serna is always dangerous in this situation.

Epigone
May 25th, 2004, 09:51 AM
So far this year, Serna has dropped from a career-high #19 to #40. Vera has to respect her potential to play well, but she can't be overly cautious. Vera has to attack Serna, especially on Magui's 1st serve. Serna's 1st serve percentage was at 46% against Morigami, so Vera should try to blast her serve back and get Serna on the back foot. Vera needs to dictate how the match will be played.

KV
May 25th, 2004, 02:24 PM
As expected easy first round win for Vera. Normally she'd defeat Serna who isn't on form. Go Vera :)

Epigone
May 26th, 2004, 07:46 AM
Vera plays both singles and doubles today.

She is first up (11am) on Court 1 against Serna, and then she and Nastya are third up on Court 5 for their doubles match against Parmentier and Vedy.

I hope that Vera can play really well and minimise her time on court. She will need lots of energy in reserve for the second week.

Epigone
May 26th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Vera is in a real fight. She just lost the 1st set 5-7, and from the look of the netcam pictures, she's crying :sad:. She broke for *5-5, but was then broken for 5-6*. I think she is fighting, considering she was down 0-3*, but it looks like she is hitting too many UEs.

She was just broken in her opening service game of the second set 0-1* :(

Epigone
May 26th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Vera shows that she is a strong girl by winning six straight games to take the 2nd set 6-1 :worship:

Epigone
May 26th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Vera overcame a VERY slow start to defeat Serna 5-7 6-1 6-4. Vera served for the match at 5-2, but choked :bigcry:

AKTW
May 26th, 2004, 12:13 PM
She was leading 5-1 in the third but then lost 3 straight games.
Anyway, congrats Vera!

no1mariafan
May 26th, 2004, 12:14 PM
There was something up with Vera today. Hopefully find out what in her press confrence

daniela86
May 26th, 2004, 12:20 PM
This win was so difficult ! :sad: Vera must focus :mad: !!!!!Btw, a win is a win and congrats Vera!!:aparty: :D :D :D :D :) :worship: ;) :bounce: :kiss: :angel: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
I hope she is not too tired for her double match! :)

TheBoiledEgg
May 26th, 2004, 12:27 PM
well done Vera :D :)
nice recovery ;) :D but nearly blew it :o

good luck in rd3 on Friday now ;)

Epigone
May 26th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Here (http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/stats/day9/2069ms.html) are Vera's match stats. 25 winners vs 43 UEs is not good :(.

Epigone
May 26th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Vera's 3rd round opponent will be Maria Sharapova, who defeated Rita Grande 6-2 6-0. There is no doubt that Vera will have to lift, but she is more than capable of defeating Masha. Vera just needs to wear Masha down from the baseline. Udachi Vera!

KV
May 26th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Great final two sets :)

goldenlox
May 26th, 2004, 03:25 PM
I knew Serna would be tough. It only gets tougher from now on. If Vera wants to keep advancing, she has to play like she did in Memphis.

Epigone
May 26th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Sharapova should be easier than Serna. Vera went mental, and that let Magui into the match. Vera's serve sucked in the 1st set, and that's why she was broken in her first two service games. Vera could have wrapped up the 3rd set 6-1 or 6-2, but she choked. If Vera is focused, she will dispatch Masha in two sets.

Epigone
May 26th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Vera and Nastya won their 1st round doubles match 6-2 6-1. Their serving sucked. That is all.

goldenlox
May 26th, 2004, 03:50 PM
I haven't seen these matches. I know Serna is a veteran clay courter. Maria hits a hard flat ball.
Vera played Maria in Memphis. Maria had plenty of chances to win the first set.
These two, and Sveta, are going to play each other a lot.

goldenlox
May 26th, 2004, 04:19 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040526/capt.rog10705261047.france_tennis_french_open_rog1 07.jpg Wed May 26, 6:49 AM EThttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/nws/p/ap120.gif (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/ap/brand/SIG=br2v03/*http://www.ap.org)
Russia's Vera Zvonareva returns the ball to Spain's Magui Serna during their second round match of the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris, Wednesday, May 26, 2004. (AP Photo/Francois Mori)

goldenlox
May 27th, 2004, 12:40 AM
Vera has an off day tomorrow. And a very big match Friday. ESPN said it will be one of the featured matches.
Vera will have to serve well, or Maria will attack with her returns. Vera has to try to win that first set. Maria plays better with the lead.

Epigone
May 27th, 2004, 12:53 AM
Vera will have to serve well, or Maria will attack with her returns.Very true. Vera's weakness is her serve. It will need to be firing for Vera to compete. Vera only won 60% of her 1st serve points against Serna, so she'll want to improve in that area.

Vera has to try to win that first set. Maria plays better with the lead.In their matchup in Memphis, Vera was down 1-4 and 3-5 in the 1st set, and 3-5 in the 1st set tiebreak, but won the first set 7-6(5). For some reason, Vera seems to lift a level when she is behind. However, I want Vera to break early and control the sets. I want her to always have a break in hand in case her serve deserts her.

goldenlox
May 27th, 2004, 01:23 AM
I think Vera will have to play better than she has the times I've seen her on tv since Memphis.
Vera's losses to Justine, Venus, and Amelie were so-so efforts. I think Vera will have to be steady and get a big percentage of her first serves in to win.

cool_olga
May 27th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Yeah serve will be important thing in this match. I don't know why but many Russians have bad serve, Nastya, Vera, Lena D, also Lena L not best. Only that tall Nadia and Lena B. have big serves, and Sveta not bad too. Masha could attack Vera's serve but if she will we don't know. Also on hardcourts maybe that return would be more dangerous, on clay you don't see attacking return that often. Vera just needs to get first serves in, they don't have to be bombs but first. I think Vera is favourite here and will take a win

Epigone
May 27th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Vera will play Maria Sharapova first up on Chatrier tomorrow. This is a bigtime match, so I hope that Vera lifts for the occasion. Hopefully she will get some crowd support to lift her spirit. I don't want her to get booed if she cries :sad:.

goldenlox
May 27th, 2004, 03:45 PM
I didn't see the Memphis match, so I'm looking forward to watching this one. I want to compare their movement, and their power.

Epigone
May 27th, 2004, 03:57 PM
I predict that Maria will come out and swing at everything, while Vera will use a combination of moonballs and deep slice shots. Maria said that Grande's slice put her off a little bit, and Vera is a master at varying pace and spin. When Vera beat Lisa Raymond in Memphis, she took a lot of pace off ball, which caused Raymond problems.

If Masha wants to go toe to toe from the baseline, Vera will just move her from side to side and get her wrong footed. The ball will sit up on clay, thus allowing Vera time to fire away at the lines.

I'm not sure if the stomach bug will tire Vera, but she would ordinarily be able to last for a long time on court. I hope that she doesn't have to play an unnatural style of game in an attempt to get off court quickly.

goldenlox
May 27th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Maria only lost 2 games to Grande, so I don't think she was too bothered by her tactics.
Maria-Vera, the rematch.

Epigone
May 27th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Rita Grande isn't Vera. Vera has a multidimensional game, and she goes into matches with a variable gameplan. If something doesn't work, she'll change her tactics. Maria is athletically gifted, but she is basically a one-dimensional player. If Maria brings something else to the table, Vera will hopefully be able to adapt to whatever situation she finds herself in, and employ a strategy to get out of trouble.

The only things stopping Vera from winning comfortably are (a) her serve being really poor, (b) the stomach bug sapping her strength, and/or (c) her mental fragility. Vera is a great fighter, but paradoxically, she loses her head much too often. From a purely tactical standpoint, Vera is superior to Masha. If Vera's head is in the match, she will defuse Masha's power and run her ragged.

goldenlox
May 27th, 2004, 04:25 PM
I'm interested to see it. I think Vera has been overpowered by Amelie and Venus.
I want to see how Vera does in the rallies.

Epigone
May 27th, 2004, 05:01 PM
I think that Vera has some type of mental block when she faces the top players. From what I've seen, she appears to be intimidated by higher ranked players. I think that it makes her game more constricted than normal. She is less likely to hit deep balls, and when she does, they are either deep slices or moonballs. Vera has penetrating groundstrokes, but she doesn't use them against power players. It is quite frustrating because I believe that she is capable of matching players like Amelie and Venus from the baseline.

I think the difference between Maria and the aforementioned players is that they can play with controlled aggression, whereas Maria is probably a little more loose with her shots. If she doesn't hit with precision, Vera will be able to run those balls down and keep her rallying until Maria makes an error. This strategy worked against Venus at the French Open last year, and I think it would work against Maria. If you can make your opponent hit one more shot, you have a greater chance of winning the point.

daniela86
May 27th, 2004, 07:42 PM
I think that Vera has some type of mental block when she faces the top players. From what I've seen, she appears to be intimidated by higher ranked players. I think that it makes her game more constricted than normal. She is less likely to hit deep balls, and when she does, they are either deep slices or moonballs. Vera has penetrating groundstrokes, but she doesn't use them against power players. It is quite frustrating because I believe that she is capable of matching players like Amelie and Venus from the baseline.

I think the difference between Maria and the aforementioned players is that they can play with controlled aggression, whereas Maria is probably a little more loose with her shots. If she doesn't hit with precision, Vera will be able to run those balls down and keep her rallying until Maria makes an error. This strategy worked against Venus at the French Open last year, and I think it would work against Maria. If you can make your opponent hit one more shot, you have a greater chance of winning the point.

Great analysis :yeah: I agree with you :kiss: :D :worship: :bounce: :kiss:

daniela86
May 27th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Hopefully she will get some crowd support to lift her spirit. I don't want her to get booed if she cries :sad:.

Last year, the crowd appreciated a lot Vera because of her fantastic match against Venus Williams and she had a lot of supporters then. Even when she cried against Petrova (when she lost the first set) the crowd was roothed for her and the french commentator was touched by her sensibility so I don't think the crowd will boo her! Go Vera :D :worship: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

goldenlox
May 27th, 2004, 09:24 PM
ESPN said this will be one of the featured matches tomorrow. This should tell us where Vera's game is now.
She should be able to beat Maria on red clay. Maybe.

Epigone
May 28th, 2004, 03:09 AM
She should be able to beat Maria on red clay. Maybe.Given Vera's current form, losing to Maria on red clay would be worse than her loss to Craybas in Miami.

goldenlox
May 28th, 2004, 03:11 AM
I just saw Maria K. almost beat Serena. Maria S. beating Vera would not be a big upset.
It depends on who controls the rallies.

Epigone
May 28th, 2004, 03:31 AM
Maria doesn't like rallies. She likes hitting winners. The Vera of last year would run down every ball and rally to the point of exhaustion. She would have no problem grinding Maria into the dirt, even if it took three hours. The problem is that I don't know whether or not the Vera of this year has the same level of determination.

While Vera is in reasonably good form this year, her results have been pretty disappointing. I'm sure that she isn't where she wants to be at the moment. Instead of sitting nicely in the top 10, she is fighting off attacks on her ranking from Sveta and Maria. She has yet to manage a win that will take her to the next level. She should win this match, and she needs to win this match, otherwise she will keep going backwards. I'm really worried that she might bring her "so bad that she lost to Craybas" form into this match. I don't want my favourite player to be humiliated in front of the world :sad:.

goldenlox
May 28th, 2004, 03:39 AM
It's an important match, but the loser will survive. ESPN interviewed Maria yesterday, and she seems ready.
She bombed Grande off the court.

Epigone
May 28th, 2004, 03:59 AM
Vera's attitude sometimes makes me :sad:. I have never seen her say that she aspires to be #1 in the world. I've seen her mention that her tennis goal in to make the top 10, but I think she is capable of so much more. In her interview in Warsaw, she was making it sound like breaking into the top 20 is a great achievement. She doesn't have the confidence of many other players. If she had the IMG hype machine behind her, constantly telling her that she possessed the tools to be the best player in the world, she would be in the top 10 by now.

She says that she is confident in her own ability, but sadly, I don't really buy that. She doesn't feel good about herself, and it shows. That's why the Sharapova hype makes me mad. I think that the media's fixation on Maria is possibly hurting Vera because she doesn't think that people care about her or her tennis.

goldenlox
May 28th, 2004, 04:05 AM
You don't get to #11 in the world without being competitive. All that matters is who wins tomorrow. Vera has to focus on her tennis, and enjoy her life. The same as Maria.

4. Women's Doubles - 2nd Rnd.
Anastasia Myskina (RUS)[11]
Vera Zvonareva (RUS)[11]
v. Rita Grande (ITA)
Tamarine Tanasugarn (THA)

goldenlox
May 28th, 2004, 04:17 AM
Vera could have been in the top 10 after Memphis. She wasn't healthy for Mexico. Then didn't get results in IW and Miami.
Vera will have plenty of chances to make the top 10.
The rough time for Vera was Fed Cup last fall. But Vera did nothing wrong. She just couldn't beat Pierce in a big match. It happens.

- L i n a -
May 28th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Vera's attitude sometimes makes me :sad:. I have never seen her say that she aspires to be #1 in the world. I've seen her mention that her tennis goal in to make the top 10, but I think she is capable of so much more. In her interview in Warsaw, she was making it sound like breaking into the top 20 is a great achievement. She doesn't have the confidence of many other players. If she had the IMG hype machine behind her, constantly telling her that she possessed the tools to be the best player in the world, she would be in the top 10 by now.

She says that she is confident in her own ability, but sadly, I don't really buy that. She doesn't feel good about herself, and it shows. That's why the Sharapova hype makes me mad. I think that the media's fixation on Maria is possibly hurting Vera because she doesn't think that people care about her or her tennis.
That's the exact reason why the hype annoys me...

No matter what the Russian girls do... even if they're #1... they're going to be outshadowed by the crap that Anna, and now Masha receive.

It does have to be disheartening.

goldenlox
May 28th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Maria doesn't get that much hype. They don't show her first round matches like Venus or Serena.
Vera is the Russian #4. That's real good, and Vera makes a great living. There's no reason for Vera to feel bad about anything.

- L i n a -
May 28th, 2004, 04:39 AM
Maria doesn't get that much hype.
I officially give up with you now.

goldenlox
May 28th, 2004, 04:47 AM
I saw about 2 minutes of Maria, in over 20 hours of coverage. I just saw 2 hours of Maria K.
I haven't seen any Nadia, Lena, Elena, Vera, or Sveta. I saw 5 seconds of Nastya.

Epigone
May 28th, 2004, 05:26 AM
Maria doesn't get that much hype.:lol:

They don't show her first round matches like Venus or Serena.That's just ESPN catering to its American audience.

How many of the other Russians appear on the covers of magazines or on talk shows? Craig Kilborn isn't rushing to ask Vera or Nastya to appear on his show. The people at IMG are trying to market Masha as "Anna with game". If Nastya or any of the other Russians reach number one, they will still be living in Masha's shadow.

goldenlox
May 28th, 2004, 05:35 AM
Craig Kilborn is nothing. There is no shadow from Maria. She just played on court 6 and court 7.
Harkleroad, Hantuchova, Sharapova, they did not get the hype that Anna did, and does to this day.
Maria is good. Top 20 at 16. Several former players have predicted that she will be a #1.
If her play falls off, she will be like Hantuchova.

Epigone
May 28th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Go Vera!!!

You're the better player, so please don't lose your head :)

Epigone
May 28th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Vera seems to be playing poorly, and has lost the 1st set 3-6. Her 1st serve percentage was low early in the 1st set, and she went down a double break. She has only hit 3 winners vs 11 UEs, while Masha has hit 14 winners vs 13 UEs. I'm guessing that Vera needs to be more aggressive.

Epigone
May 28th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Masha defeated Vera 6-3 7-6(3). Congratulations to Masha :yeah:

Vera's stats are pretty embarrassing, and I'm sure she'll be bitterly disappointed with this result. As I predicted may have happened, her serve seriously let her down, and she was broken six times. 12 winners vs 22 UEs didn't help either :(

But rather than start a Vera Booing Thread, I'll just wish her well in her doubles campaign. Hopefully she will get over the stomach bug so that she and Nastya can achieve a really good result.

And yes, this is more disappointing than the loss to Craybas in Miami. Red clay is Vera's domain, and she shouldn't lose matches like this. Julia needs to take Vera out to the practice courts and work on her serve. It almost cost her the match against Pisnik, and it cost her this match against Masha.

I believe in Vera, and I know that she'll battle back :hug:

goldenlox
May 28th, 2004, 12:04 PM
For some reason, Vera has not played well since Memphis. I am just being objective.
I could see this coming. Maria is in better form at the moment.
Vera is capable of playing good tennis, of being a top 10 player. This spring, she is not handling her opponent's power.
The real shame is that if Vera won this, her road to the semis was very doable.
You rarely get a chance to make the semifinals of a major by beating Weingartner and Suarez.

Epigone
May 28th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Honestly, I don't think that Maria has been in better form. Vera has made the SF and QF of Tier I events, and the SF and QF of Tier II events during this clay season. However, one thing that has been pretty consistent is her inability to hold serve. She DF twice when she was serving at 6-5 in the second set. This has been a problem since her time in Australia. Her loss to Craybas, and her near loss to Pisnik can be attributed to her poor serve.

Despite the stuff I've been saying, I was really worried about Vera going into this match. I thought the stomach bug may have drained her energy, and she is so mentally unstable that anything could have happened. But I still feel that she should never have lost this match. Oh well :shrug:

goldenlox
May 28th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Like I said, objectively, Maria had a great chance to win today. I don't care about QF, SF - it's how you are playing. I saw Vera play 4 times since Memphis. She wasn't playing well.
I could tell from Maria's scores that she is playing her game. And she has a good, solid game.
Vera's serve is an issue right now. Good players can break her.
This is still one match, and Vera has to forget it. She's 19, there is plenty of good tennis to play.

Daniel
May 28th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Vera, i am so sad she lost :sad:

Epigone
May 28th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Vera had a 6-2 6-3 over Schnyder, a 6-3 7-5 victory over Smashnova-Pistolesi, a 6-3 6-4 victory over Perebiynis, a 6-3 6-0 victory over Bovina, and a 6-3 6-3 victory over Schiavone. Those a quality claycourt players. You watched Vera lose to the very best claycourt players. It's a tribute to Masha that she beat Vera when Vera has been playing pretty well. Having said that, Vera's stats suggest that she played shockingly.

However, based on Vera's form last year, she should have played much better against Justine, Venus, and Amelie. Masha caught Vera on a very bad day, but Masha took advantage of it, which is something that Vera often fails to do. Kudos to Masha :yeah:

Epigone
May 28th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Here (http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/stats/day11/2099ms.html) are Vera's match stats. They don't make for pretty reading :sad:.

Epigone
May 28th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Vera and Nastya won the 1st set of their match against Grande and Tanasugarn 6-2 . Hopefully Vera has put her bad form behind her for awhile :)

ys
May 28th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Vera might just have lost her place in Olympic team. If Masha beats Marlene that is..

Epigone
May 28th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Vera and Nastya move into the 3rd round with a 6-2 6-0 victory. Too bad Vera couldn't have saved some of her horrible play from her singles for the doubles match :o. Vera's doubles ranking continues to improve, so hopefully she'll be selected to play doubles at the Olympics.

Epigone
May 28th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Vera might just have lost her place in Olympic team. If Masha beats Marlene that is..I guess it all depends on how they select the team. Tarpischev seems to really respect Vera...

- L i n a -
May 28th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Pathetic, Vera.

I have nothing else to say.

Vass22
May 28th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Ну как же так, Зверочка?

Sad.

goldenlox
May 28th, 2004, 04:00 PM
It's not a sad situation. Two talented players, only one would advance.
Vera still has years of tennis ahead. She needs to stay positive. And keep working hard.

Epigone
May 28th, 2004, 05:03 PM
I just wish that we could have seen both players in top form. It appears that Masha turned up to play, while Vera's mind was elsewhere. In such high level competiton, full focus is required.

This rivalry will continue for many years to come. The tally is one win apiece, with both wins coming on the other player's more favoured surface. How odd :scratch: