PDA

View Full Version : Vera Zvonareva rise to the top thread !!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

LeonHart
Oct 15th, 2003, 10:42 PM
:bounce:

ys
Oct 15th, 2003, 11:57 PM
Lindsay withdrawal makes it very possible that #11 will play YEC, and #10 is now virtually guaranteed that. Vera should be kicking herself for blowing those matches against Amelie and Rubin. On those two matches alone she would be now in practically Top1 0 and looking good for LA. But it is not a lost cause yet. But she has to beat Justine. Period.

tenn_ace
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:52 PM
I'd be surprised if she does. Exclamation Point.

Vera is not ready yet for big wins. She really does need to mature emotionally, so I don't see her defeating JHH.

tenn_ace
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:17 PM
now if only Vera defeated JHH... after Sugyama's loss

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 16th, 2003, 05:53 PM
come on Vera, good luck tomorrow
no pressure

LeonHart
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:25 AM
Lindsay withdrawal makes it very possible that #11 will play YEC, and #10 is now virtually guaranteed that. Vera should be kicking herself for blowing those matches against Amelie and Rubin. On those two matches alone she would be now in practically Top1 0 and looking good for LA. But it is not a lost cause yet. But she has to beat Justine. Period.
I agree!! This is her first full year and she's on the verge of qualifying for the YEC, how exciting! :woohoo:

goldenlox
Oct 17th, 2003, 10:40 PM
Vera lost to Justine, 4 & 2. Now she plays Linz, and with Justine's withdrawal, Linz looks wide open.
Don't give up on L.A. yet.

Gowza
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:20 PM
after that first set i thought the 2nd set would be tight, actually i thought vera would take a set off justine.

but c'mon vera on to the next tournament!

vaiva
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:46 PM
Great draw for Vera in Linz. Davai, baby, that's a great opportunity for you ;)

LeonHart
Oct 21st, 2003, 04:19 AM
Udachi Vera, you can go far here.

goldenlox
Oct 22nd, 2003, 02:47 AM
Vera is the only Russian in the bottom half of the draw. She plays doubles tomorrow with Nastya against L. Huber and Ai Sugiyama.
Vera doesn't play her first singles match until Thursday. Tomorrow Vera will find out if she plays Bartoli or Jeyaseelan.
Udachi Vera!!

LeonHart
Oct 22nd, 2003, 02:51 AM
Nice nice, Vera has a very good draw IMO, there's not alot of powerhitters on the bottom side.

goldenlox
Oct 22nd, 2003, 02:56 AM
Yeah, I want Vera to get that rematch with Pistolesi. She needs revenge for New Haven.
Then Dokic or Sugiyama in the semi-final. A good section of the draw for Vera.
Davai Vera!!

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 23rd, 2003, 01:46 PM
Vera won 6-2 6-3 :D :)
comfortable win for Vera dispite 2nd set lapses

good luck in QF now
go Vera go

Gowza
Oct 23rd, 2003, 01:54 PM
well done vera, you can win this next match!

KV
Oct 23rd, 2003, 04:35 PM
Well done Vera, get your revenge against Pistolesi

goldenlox
Oct 23rd, 2003, 07:27 PM
Vera now gets a rematch with Pistolesi. The one time they played, this summer in New Haven, Vera led 6-0, 5-1, and lost. So this match is important for Vera.
Davai Verunchik!!

goldenlox
Oct 23rd, 2003, 07:29 PM
I think Vera can win this tournament. Just stay calm and focused.

LeonHart
Oct 24th, 2003, 05:26 AM
Go Vera! :)

Gowza
Oct 24th, 2003, 05:33 AM
one match at a time vera.

ys
Oct 24th, 2003, 05:41 AM
one match at a time vera.

Yes, she wins next two matches - she will at least have a shot at YEC in Philadelphia.

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 24th, 2003, 02:56 PM
Vera crawled back from obscurity
1-5 in 3rd, saved 3 mp's and won it 75 PHEW

well done Vera :)
now rest up well and good luck in SF

tenn_ace
Oct 24th, 2003, 02:57 PM
well done :rolleyes:

vaiva
Oct 24th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Why roll eyes, tenn_ace? Vera did stick to the bitter end and won. That is what matters.

Good luck in semis. Davai, baby

KV
Oct 24th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Great comeback from 1-5 down :bounce:

ys
Oct 24th, 2003, 06:27 PM
Unfortunately Molik got unlucky and her injury let Chanda off the hook. If Chanda lost, Vera and Nadya would have both had a chance for LA. now only the winner of the Linz tournament, if it is one of nadya, Vera or Ai will have a chance..

tenn_ace
Oct 24th, 2003, 06:46 PM
Why roll eyes, tenn_ace? Vera did stick to the bitter end and won. That is what matters.

Good luck in semis. Davai, baby

because she should have never found herself in that situation to begin with. she was lucky it was Pistolesi who doesn't really have a lot of weapons to finish a match off...

I hope her coach didn't say to Vera what you wrote here... this kind of win is good in a short-run, but in a long run it doesn't make the issue go away. she won a battle, she can still lose a war.

again :rolleyes: at well done.

goldenlox
Oct 24th, 2003, 07:24 PM
I didn't see the match. Vera turned 19 in September. She's still learning how to play at this level.
I agree with those who say a win is a win. She's in the semi-finals. And she fought in the third set.
Udachi Vera!!

vaiva
Oct 24th, 2003, 07:31 PM
because she should have never found herself in that situation to begin with. she was lucky it was Pistolesi who doesn't really have a lot of weapons to finish a match off...

I hope her coach didn't say to Vera what you wrote here... this kind of win is good in a short-run, but in a long run it doesn't make the issue go away. she won a battle, she can still lose a war.

there are no such notions as 'should have' or 'would have' in tennis. Serena should have never found herself 2-5 in the SF of Aus Open as well.

As I said, the final result is all that matters, baby :kiss:

LeonHart
Oct 24th, 2003, 08:55 PM

Well, that's why I love Vera, and follow her tennis. Because she is a fighter and she never gives up, even from 1-5 down! Now I'd like to see someone like Dokic fight their way back, but I doubt it. If Dokic loses the first set and she tanks the 2nd :rolleyes:

goldenlox
Oct 24th, 2003, 09:40 PM
Vera plays Ai Sugiyama tomorrow. The first time they meet. I have a good feeling about Vera this week. She drew into the weak half, and so far, so good.
Udachi Vera!

tenn_ace
Oct 25th, 2003, 02:38 AM
Well, that's why I love Vera, and follow her tennis. Because she is a fighter and she never gives up, even from 1-5 down! Now I'd like to see someone like Dokic fight their way back, but I doubt it. If Dokic loses the first set and she tanks the 2nd :rolleyes:

fighter and never gives up... exactly how many matches have you seen her playing? :rolleyes:

even in this match against Pistolesi, there were posts about her looking like she was tanking at some point in the 3rd set.

I do like Vera dearly, but it just frustrates me her childish on-court demeanor. :tape:

tenn_ace
Oct 25th, 2003, 02:42 AM
there are no such notions as 'should have' or 'would have' in tennis.

as if...

you're talking like player whose career goal is to reach top 20 at best... I really do hope Vera thinks differently.

LeonHart
Oct 25th, 2003, 04:34 AM
as if...

you're talking like player whose career goal is to reach top 20 at best... I really do hope Vera thinks differently.
Tenn_ace, this is a Vera Zvonareva cheering thread. If you don't like her attitude on the court, then please just keep your opinion to yourself and not post it in here.

I've seen Vera play: Serena in FO' Jenn in Indian Wells, Venus in FO', Venus in Wimbledon and Coezter + Mauresmo in Moscow. Each of those matches Vera has fought and competed very well with them.

tenn_ace
Oct 25th, 2003, 12:13 PM
excuse me... don't tell me what I can and cannot post post especially since I'm not bashing her and you don't own this thread.

I'm not going to put a pink eye-glasses on and pretend that everything is great about her game. I hope she's neither.

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 25th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Vera :sad: :(
had chances in 3rd set but they got away

she should withdraw from Phili too as its gonna be rather pointless
Fed Cup is much higher priority

goldenlox
Oct 25th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Vera lost to Sugiyama 6-3, 3-6, 6-4.
Vera is the #6 seed in Philadelphia and is scheduled to play Lisa Raymond in the first round.

ally baker
Oct 25th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Tenn_ace, this is a Vera Zvonareva cheering thread. If you don't like her attitude on the court, then please just keep your opinion to yourself and not post it in here.

I've seen Vera play: Serena in FO' Jenn in Indian Wells, Venus in FO', Venus in Wimbledon and Coezter + Mauresmo in Moscow. Each of those matches Vera has fought and competed very well with them.
Leon, just don't argue with the know-it-all's in RR... they'll never listen.

Bepa... :rolleyes: Wasted another big chance.

goldenlox
Oct 25th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Vera has lost some matches where she's had big leads. But I don't think a psychiatrist telling Vera to pump her fist and shout YES! will help her to close out matches.
When Vera is under extreme pressure, she'll never remember to do that stuff anyway. She has to figure it out for herself, imo.

ys
Oct 25th, 2003, 11:29 PM
Vera :sad: :(
had chances in 3rd set but they got away

she should withdraw from Phili too as its gonna be rather pointless
Fed Cup is much higher priority

I agree, almost pointless.. Except for the fact that she still has a decent chance to end the year ranked higher than Nadya, meaning better chance to be selected to play in Fed Cup. Selected to play at #4, she would unlikely to be used..

goldenlox
Oct 27th, 2003, 12:17 AM
You never know who's playing in L.A. and who isn't. If Vera isn't eliminated, she should play Philadelphia. I'm assuming that Vera is healthy.

Linzi
Oct 28th, 2003, 06:46 PM
Hey i knda like Vera, can she make the champs now?

ally baker
Oct 28th, 2003, 06:56 PM
Vera is 252 points behind Ai for the 8th spot (assuming Venus doesn't play).

If Vera wins Philly, beating Lisa and Amelie along the way, I think she'd make it. Anything less, and she's out.

goldenlox
Oct 29th, 2003, 01:15 AM
Vera lost to Raymond, 6-3, 2-6, 6-2. There goes L.A.
Now Vera will be rested for Fed Cup.

ys
Oct 29th, 2003, 01:18 AM
Bad thing, barring the withdrawals, she will be seeded #13 at Australia, meaning R16 match against Serena, Henin, Clijsters and Capriati/Davenport/Mauresmo...

Indoors is the most difficult surface for a young player to master, and she did much better this year than last year. Yet LA was on her racket, when she lost to Mauresmo in Moscow and to Rubin in Germany. Two matches alone would have virtually guaranteed her LA by now.

Gowza
Oct 29th, 2003, 01:18 AM
disappointing loss. vera is capable of beating raymond in straight sets. oh well.

goldenlox
Oct 29th, 2003, 01:32 AM
I'm not concerned about the round of 16 matchups at the majors next year.
Just how many Russians are in the final 16. That interests me.
I don't want the Russians to face each other early. I want at least 7 Russians in the final 16. The we need some of them to start winning those second week matches.
Vera won't turn 20 until the next U.S. Open. She'll be fine.

Hurley
Oct 29th, 2003, 01:33 AM
Vera is capable of many things.

She is not capable of beating a hometown player with the crowd (no matter how small) totally against her. She still needs emotional assistance in tough matches to overcome her own mental deficiencies. She was not going to get that today and she had roughly a 0% chance to beat Raymond on her best surface with her mentality.

This needs to be fixed in 2004. Vera has the most potential of all Russian girls. She also will be the first one to go awry a la Bedanova should things start to slip.

Udachi Vera...

goldenlox
Oct 29th, 2003, 01:38 AM
Vera is not some superstar who should never lose.
She's a teenager who's made a huge forward move in the last 18 months.
People expect her to rush to the top 5.
It's taken Elena D. and Nastya years to get near the top 5.
It takes time. And experience.

ally baker
Oct 29th, 2003, 01:40 AM
GL, 7 Russians in the final 16 at Oz? That may be asking a bit much.

Bepa does not have the most potential of the Russian girls.

Hurley
Oct 29th, 2003, 01:40 AM
Also, I knew she was going to lose because I had planned to go to Philly on Friday (my first free day in God knows how long) primarily to see her (I've cheered Nastya on too many times to get excited about her anymore ;)) and once the draw came out, I laughed, because it was quite evident that Vera was not going to make it to the QF.

Now I only have Nastya, and Tina, Nadia, and Amelie to a lesser extent, and assuredly Nastya will find a way to lose to Pratt, just so I have a horrible day to look forward to, and possibly not even attend the tournament. :D

Gowza
Oct 29th, 2003, 01:44 AM
i don't expect her to be top 5 or even top 10. she's far out weighed my expectations for her this year, so imo she's done heaps well. i'm just saying she has the physical game to beat a player as good as raymond in straight sets but has yet to develop the mental game to do it. that 'oh well' i said was meant as in forget this match a keep going. but hopefully she can learn from this match and the match against sugiyama last week.

actually it's very impressive that she can get herself ranked up near the top 10 and still have these mental difficulties. imagine what she can do if she can the the mental side of her game right.

goldenlox
Oct 29th, 2003, 01:44 AM
Nastya, Lena D., Lena B., Vera, Masha, Nadya, and Sveta or Dinara.
Maybe Lena L. It depends on the draw.

Hurley
Oct 29th, 2003, 01:45 AM
Indeed! Imagine!

I have no idea who could have more potential than Vera! It's ludicrous to think otherwise. To be #13 in the world while being a raving lunatic is beyond remarkable.

Gowza
Oct 29th, 2003, 01:46 AM
and just because i am disappointed with a loss doesn't mean i expect her to never lose. disappointment comes from many things and in different amounts.

goldenlox
Oct 29th, 2003, 01:47 AM
McEnroe, Connors, Nastase.

Gowza
Oct 29th, 2003, 01:47 AM
we also have kirielnko and douchevina rising quickly up the rankings and if douchevina is as good as i've heard then she might cause a few upsets next year.

goldenlox
Oct 29th, 2003, 01:49 AM
I don't expect Vera D. or Maria K. to get that far.
But I'd love to see it. The ones I mentioned have already done it.

Gowza
Oct 29th, 2003, 01:52 AM
yeah maria k and vera d probably won't start really rolling until half way through next season at the very earliest. 2005 is more likely going to be their big year.

goldenlox
Vera beat Venus in Paris. That's why people talk about her potential.
Vera doesn't have the strokes to be this unbeatable player.
She's more of a grinder.

goldenlox
2005 is Anna T. time.

Gowza
Oct 29th, 2003, 01:53 AM
7 of the players you've mentioned have actually reached the quarters of a slam which is very impressive.

Gowza
Oct 29th, 2003, 01:55 AM
the talented afinogenova might come out of her shell in 2005 hopefully, she hasn't progressed nearly as much as i thought she would. but she did really well in scottsdale qualifying this year so i still have hope.

goldenlox
Oct 29th, 2003, 01:55 AM
But they often have to face each other in the first week.
Four players are in every slam final. For the rest, the draw is vital.

goldenlox
Oct 29th, 2003, 01:57 AM
And Linetskaya in 2006.

LeonHart
Oct 29th, 2003, 02:00 AM
Vera lost to a very good fast court player, so I'm not disappointed. She already has met so many of my expectations, even some I didn't expect her to win. Next year will be much better for Vera I think. Every top player she has played, its been close. She's this close to getting to the elite, she can't seem it crack it yet.

Also I noticed she's losing alot of 3 setters. Of her 22 losses, 13 are 3 setters. Its kinda like Serena when she can't seem to close matches out with top players. I hope she grows as a player to close matches out easier, and not get too discouraged when playing a hometown fav.

goldenlox
Oct 29th, 2003, 02:02 AM
Vera lost to a player that Vera D. beat in Moscow. Only 4 players on the tour are consistent. Everyone else, you never know on a given day.

Hurley
Oct 29th, 2003, 02:04 AM
Douchevina (Moscow) d. Raymond (Philadelphia) in Moscow
Raymond (Philadelphia) d. Zvonareva (Moscow) in Philadelphia

Really...at times I know what I'm talking about.

You're right: you never know on a given day. And often just where the match is played swings favor.

I don't think anyone's being too hard on Vera, this is a match she wasn't going to win.

That's the problem.

goldenlox
Oct 29th, 2003, 02:05 AM
Post that before the match starts.

Hurley
Oct 29th, 2003, 02:08 AM
So I can prove it to you? I don't care. :)

goldenlox
Oct 29th, 2003, 02:10 AM
I could care less if someone's prediction is right or wrong.
But after a match is over, anyone can say it was a certainty.

Hurley
Oct 29th, 2003, 02:12 AM
This is true, I will give you that.

Okay, it was a bad way to end the season in this thread. I'm on edge and so are others. Everything is cool. :)

goldenlox
Oct 29th, 2003, 02:14 AM
I'm not on edge. But I was insulted.

Hurley
Oct 29th, 2003, 02:15 AM
By who?

goldenlox
Oct 29th, 2003, 02:17 AM
Nevermind.

Hurley
Oct 29th, 2003, 02:19 AM
That's very passive-aggressive of you. Talk about not edgy. ;)

goldenlox
Oct 29th, 2003, 02:21 AM
If you must have the last, go ahead. I'm through.

ally baker
Oct 29th, 2003, 02:28 AM
Hurley, please go back to your other board and impress them with your knowledge. K. Bye.

goldenlox
Oct 29th, 2003, 02:35 AM
I'm not really insulted. But it's never that certain before the match, or you'd go to Vegas. I like to bet. I know when it's over and you're right, it seems obvious.

goldenlox
Oct 29th, 2003, 02:40 AM
Do you really think 7 out of 16 is too much to expect?

sartrista7
Oct 29th, 2003, 07:22 AM
the talented afinogenova might come out of her shell in 2005 hopefully, she hasn't progressed nearly as much as i thought she would. but she did really well in scottsdale qualifying this year so i still have hope.

If you think that beating Ali Van Horne and losing to Razzano is doing "really well"... that's quite strange.

In a way it's good that Vera can have an extended period of time off now... she needs it to recuperate, especially mentally. I doubt she could have done that well at the YEC anyway in her present state.

Gowza
Oct 29th, 2003, 07:28 AM
If you think that beating Ali Van Horne and losing to Razzano is doing "really well"... that's quite strange.

In a way it's good that Vera can have an extended period of time off now... she needs it to recuperate, especially mentally. I doubt she could have done that well at the YEC anyway in her present state.

she took a set off an in-form razzano. razzano can play pretty high quality tennis, plus for a 16 year old that is really good. plus i meant 'really well' as in much better than she has been doing. she's been losing in qualifying of 10k events.

KV
Oct 29th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Anna T. has impressed me. She made a huge progress since she was defeated in the US Juniors by Peer. With a luckier draw she could have reached the first round of the Kremlin Cup. IMO, Anna should go the Challengers in stead of Juniors. She reminds me of Vera D. And you have of course A. Kleybanova. Hopefully she'll be playing next years Kremlin Cup. It's more than on the cards she'll receive a WC-Qual or doesn't need to anymore like Anna T. All depends on the line up. Really noticed Vera Z. didn't have that lucky first round draws the past weeks.

vaiva
Oct 29th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Unfortunate draw for Vera.

Now rest and get your mind and body ready for FedCup.

goldenlox
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:12 PM
Vera is in L.A. as the second alternate. She did a little modeling with the other girls. But she probably won't play in the YEC.

** K i t t y **
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Vera modeling? :haha:

goldenlox
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:33 PM
I saw a few pics of Vera from **************.
Vera can work it, can't she? C'mon, Vera's cute.

scarlett retsel
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:56 PM
Well, Vera does have nice eyes...

She's got a nice rack, also.

But, she still look like Miss Piggy.

goldenlox
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Did Kitty get banned? I barely got to know her.
Vera has a nice look. Do you know if she's IMG or Octagon or another?

scarlett retsel
Nov 4th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Don't know. Don't care really.

It's sad that Vera does photo shoots, and Lena does nothing.

Why settle for rump roast, when we can have filet mignon?

the cat
Nov 5th, 2003, 03:58 AM
Vera is very pretty in a fresh faced kind of way. :) Her eyes sparkle and she has a lovely smile. :D But most importantly Vera is a very good tennis player who's only 19 and could make the WTA top ten next year. She's right on target to have an oustanding tennis career! :D

Udachi Vera! :bounce:

goldenlox
Nov 5th, 2003, 08:16 PM
It can't be fun to hang around the YEC and know you're not going to play.
Vera has to remember this and use it for motivation. Next year, make it here as a player, not an alternate.
Udachi Vera!!

the cat
Nov 5th, 2003, 09:39 PM
I wish the WTA still used the 16 player draw for their YEC. That way Vera Zvonareva and Nadia Petrova would have qualified this year, too. Having an 8 player field does makes the players play more tournaments in order to qualify for the YEC. And that's not good for the health of the players.

If the WTA used the 16 player draw for next years final there could be 6 or more Russina's in that draw. And that would be great! :D

And this round robin format will lead to one sided matches because the players trailing in a match don't have to try to come back and win the match if they know they still have another match or 2 to play. The round robin format kills incentive in players to try and make a comeback. And that's why the ATP Tour's YEC got rid of the round robin format years ago. That was a wise move. The WTA Tour should do the same.

vaiva
Nov 5th, 2003, 09:58 PM
And that's why the ATP Tour's YEC got rid of the round robin format years ago. That was a wise move. The WTA Tour should do the same.

tsk, tsk, tsk, the cat

check the Houston website before you talk.

luv ya, meow :kiss:

TartarVicario
Nov 5th, 2003, 11:09 PM
tsk, tsk, tsk, the cat

check the Houston website before you talk.

:o

the cat
Nov 6th, 2003, 12:44 AM
Oops! :o I made a mistake. :( Vaiva, would you believe me if I told you that I wrote that just to see if you were paying attention?

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 07:23 PM
This year, Vera only won 3 games at the AO, losing a first round match against Bovina. Vera was 18.
In 2004, a good run in Melbourne could get Vera into the top 10.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 17th, 2003, 12:02 PM
http://www.fedcup.com/news/newsaudio.asp?id=10288

Interview with Vera :)

goldenlox
Nov 18th, 2003, 07:34 PM
Vera plays singles in this Fed Cup semifinal against Mauresmo.
They've met once, in the KC, with Mauresmo winning that quarterfinal in three sets.
Davai Vera!

KV
Nov 18th, 2003, 07:45 PM
Good luck Vera. Might be an advantage to have allowed coaching. Show what you're made of.

vaiva
Nov 18th, 2003, 11:42 PM
Udachi Vera! Shamil will help with other things ;)

vaiva
Nov 19th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Poor Vera, nobody came to post in your thread today :hug:

goldenlox
Nov 19th, 2003, 07:39 PM
This was a tough spot for Vera. She had three weeks between matches, and was playing #4 in the world.
Vera's 19, she'll be playing a lot more Fed Cup for Russia.

vaiva
Nov 20th, 2003, 06:15 PM
And today her teammates just walked away and left Vera in tears after the 4th rubber :hug:

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 20th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Vera :sad:
hope it dont have long lasting trauma over this

it might make her think twice about playing for team in future.
she's got 6 weeks to ponder over this.

Roxers
Nov 20th, 2003, 06:23 PM
:sad:

the cat
Nov 20th, 2003, 06:28 PM
I hope Vera learns from this tough experience. She was put in a tough spot by Shamil Tarpischev. And I hope Vera can learn to control her emotions. That is crucial for a tennis player.

I hate to think of Vera crying. :sad: She has such a beautiful smile and is such a nice girl. :D I hope these 2 Fed Cup losses motivate Vera to become a better tennis player and a more composed tennis player in the future.

If the other Russina's had Vera's heart and fighting spirit they would be even better tennis players than they are.

Udachi Vera in 2004! :bounce: :kiss: :hug:

Hurley
Nov 20th, 2003, 06:44 PM
She did her best. I hope this doesn't affect her adversely.

Poor Vera :sad:

the cat
Nov 20th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Vera will bounce back, Hurley. She's young and she's hungry to be the best tennis player she can be.

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2003, 07:45 PM
Vera faced a lot of pressure. Russia's chance to win the Fed Cup was on her shoulders against a 2-time slam winner who had match point against Nastya yesterday.
This is a part of world-class sports. You have to be able to learn and grow and put it behind you.

the cat
Nov 20th, 2003, 07:49 PM
That's so true, GL. Let's hope Vera can put this behind her.

KV
Nov 20th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Vera had a very good season. Considering it's getting the more and more difficult to enter the top 15. Well done you fulfilled the expectations some experts were saying. When in the earlier stages of the season, things went wrong for the Russinas Vera was there to limit the damage. Think the long season took it's toll in the later stages. She wasn't used to playing so much. Well done this season.

moo_ont
Nov 20th, 2003, 11:30 PM
Just saw the Fed Cup photos on website. I could see how hard Vera fought in the match she played Mary. I am positive she will definitely do great next season.

I wish her all the best. And, she is now one of the players I will cheer for.

goldenlox
Dec 6th, 2003, 09:59 PM
I think that Fed Cup experience will really help Vera. I'll bet she plays tennis with a new maturity. And increased focus.
Udachi Vera!!

goldenlox
Dec 28th, 2003, 07:41 PM
Vera will start the 2004 season as the #3 seed in the Gold Coast.
Then she goes against the big guns in Sydney and Melbourne.
A big run at Gold Coast can get Vera rolling to the top 10.
And help get her on the road to Athens.

Epigone
Dec 30th, 2003, 05:01 AM
I'll be at the Gold Coast and Sydney to cheer for Vera :bounce:

Has anyone here met Vera before? Is she approachable?

KV
Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:44 AM
In the first round of Gold Coast, Vera will be playing a qual. Good luck Vera

komwalkmas
Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:59 AM
shes playing with lina krasnoroutskaya in the doubles :D

Mathijs
Jan 3rd, 2004, 02:38 PM
I hope they can win some matches! as for Vera i hope she's going to do good at Gold Coast! Good luck! davai Vera! :bounce: :bounce:

goldenlox
Jan 3rd, 2004, 05:22 PM
Vera plays with Lina here. I guess next week it's Vera and Nastya.
A lot of racket tossing from this talented duo.

tenn_ace
Jan 3rd, 2004, 06:10 PM
lets just hope Lina won't catch Vera's bug: crying after every point lost ;)

go girls! :bounce:

Epigone
Jan 4th, 2004, 12:28 AM
:bounce: GO VERA!!! :bounce:

I'm going to watch her play tomorrow :yippee:

Vass22
Jan 4th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Vera will play against Schett

goldenlox
Jan 4th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Vera beat Babsi in straight sets the one time they met in Toronto.
Make that Vera-Sveta match happen!

goldenlox
Jan 5th, 2004, 03:13 AM
Vera took care of business 6-1, 6-4.
Vera-Sveta. These two will meet many times. Vera won the first one.
Round 2 coming.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 5th, 2004, 03:42 AM
well done Vera, a job well done :)

tenn_ace
Jan 5th, 2004, 03:47 AM
I like Vera a lot, but I will be routing for Sveta, who still has a chance to be seeded at AO (if she does well here).

Epigone
Jan 5th, 2004, 06:03 AM
Vera played really, really well :yippee:

I'll post my match report and some pictures in the Vera forum.

KV
Jan 5th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Good job done. Next against it deserved to be a QF. Not the best draws in Gold Coast. Pick Vera in 3 sets.

Dava
Jan 5th, 2004, 09:25 PM
A good resulkt against a solid opponent, Schett mayb not e the player she used to be, but you still need to play your best to beat her.

goldenlox
Jan 7th, 2004, 01:38 AM
Vera lost to Sveta 1-6, 6-3, 6-2. I'm not sure why Vera cannot maintain her early advantages in matches.
But it's a long year. This tournament is a warmup for Sydney and Melbourne.
Stay focused. Plenty of opportunties ahead.

tenn_ace
Jan 7th, 2004, 03:29 AM
better luck next time, Vera! keep it cool, girl :kiss:

goldenlox
Jan 10th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Vera's first match in Sydney is against Nicole Pratt. It's the first time they will play.
Stay focused. Keep improving.

goldenlox
Jan 11th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Vera beat Pratt 6-2, 6-3. Vera now plays Davenport. They have played once before, in Charleston, 2003, on clay. Davenport won 7-6(3), 6-3.
Nothing to lose. Just play your game, see what happens.

Epigone
Jan 12th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Vera played really well against Pratt. I arrived in Sydney after the start of the match, so I watched it on TV in the airport. Vera hit quite a few UEs, but also had a number of forehand and backhand winners. She also won 7 points at the net. Vera played a different type of game to the one she played at the Gold Coast. She attacked the net more and also used more backhand slice. The problem was that she tried to play a number of bankhand slice dropshots, but they didn't work.

I watched the last game and a half of her doubles match today. She missed a shot to have her and Nastya go down 4-5 in the second set and absolutely destroyed her racquet on the ground. I knew it was about to happen, but she hit it so hard :eek:. As she walked back to her chair, she also punched the net pole. Nastya was broken in the final game and they lost. Vera threw that racquet at the ground and it bounced back and almost hit Nastya. She then threw it at the ground again. I hope that she doesn't bring her temper to the game against Lindsay, otherwise I don't like her chances :sad:

komwalkmas
Jan 13th, 2004, 08:41 AM
vera is really friendly :D i got her autograph twice. she was warming up with lina krasnoroutskaya today.

good luck against davenport :)

Epigone
Jan 13th, 2004, 10:10 AM
I met Vera today :bounce:. She had just finished her skipping and sprints and had packed up her bag. There was nobody around her, so I went up to her.

Me: Hi Vera. Good luck in your match against Lindsay.
Vera: Thank you.
Me: And try to stay calm out there.
Vera: Okay (laughs)

She walked past me and then I decided to ask for an autograph.

As she signed my ball
Me: I was at the match you played against Barbara Schett on the Gold Coast. You played a great match.
Vera: Thanks (smiling)

Then more people came looking for autographs, so I left. In the afternoon, I went back to the practice courts and Vera was practising with her coach. Nobody else was there, so I watched for about an hour. I took lots of pictures (including some really good ones) and I'll post them when I get back to Brisbane. Vera got a bit upset when she hit 3 forehands in a row into the net, so she threw her racquet into the air and then hit it on the heel of her shoe. She is so entertaining to watch!

I'm going to watch Vera play Lindsay tomorrow and I'll post a report. I'll also try to watch her on the practice courts again. Maybe I'll try to talk to her, but I want her to stay focused on the game, so I'll see what happens. I don't want Vera to think that I'm obsessed with her :)

Bероника
Jan 13th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Good luck against Davenport!!!

goldenlox
Jan 14th, 2004, 02:48 AM
Vera lost a close three setter to Davenport 1-6, 6-2, 7-5. We almost had Vera-Elena in the quarters.
Good preparation for next week. Good luck in Melbourne.

anthonyqld
Jan 14th, 2004, 02:53 AM
Yes Epigone, Vera is a lovely girl. I chatted to her on the Coast.

sartrista7
Jan 14th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Vera has to stop going insane on court :mad: And she REALLY needs to start holding on to big leads. Still, good showing against a top player.

KV
Jan 14th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Never been that close to bt. Lindsay Davenport. Good performance Vera.

Epigone
Jan 14th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Vera lit Lindsay up like a Christmas tree in the first set. Lindsay didn't make many UEs, it was just that Vera was hitting winners everywhere. I could barely stay in my seat :D. If she could sustain such a performance at a GS, she could beat ANYONE. Okay, here is how the score went. H = hold, B = break, V = Vera, L = Lindsay.

First set
1 H(V), 2 B(V), 3 H(V), 4 H(L), 5 H(V), 6 B(V), 7 H(V) = 6-1

Second set
1 H(L) - Vera upset at a linecall
2 H(V)
3 H(L) - Vera looked like she was about to smash her racquet, but just swung it in the air
4 B(L) - Swung her racquet at the ground, but just brushed the head of it. She also talked to herself in Russian
5 H(L)
6 H(V)
7 H(L) - hit her racquet on the ground - face of the racquet and not the frame
8 B(L) - Vera smacked the strings with her hand and yelled at herself in Russian

= 2-6

Epigone
Jan 14th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Third set
1 H(L)
2 B(L)
3 B(V)
4 H(V)
5 H(L), although Vera was up 40-15
6 B(L) - Vera was 3 BPs down, but hit a great running backhand to save 1 BP
7 B(V)
8 H(V)
9 H(L)
10 H(V)
11 H(L) - Lindsay hit an ace to win the game. Vera didn't like the call and repeatedly smacked her racquet on the line
12 B(L) - at 15-30, Lindsay hit a shot off the fram which landed near the baseline and bounched high. Vera ran back to the wall, but it bounce off the top of her racquet as she tried to jump for hit. Vera then delivered a two-handed backhand to the wall. It was one big hit :eek:

= 5-7

I'll write an overview of how I thought Vera performed when I get back to Brisbane and I will also include some photos :)

TartarVicario
Jan 14th, 2004, 11:30 AM
So close Vera :)

TartarVicario
Jan 14th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Third set
11 H(L) - Lindsay hit an ace to win the game. Vera didn't like the call and repeatedly smacked her racquet on the line

Stop doing this Vera :( I hate to see this behavior :fiery:

tenn_ace
Jan 14th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Vera lost a close three setter to Davenport 1-6, 6-2, 7-5. We almost had Vera-Elena in the quarters.
Good preparation for next week. Good luck in Melbourne.
GL, I wanted to give good reps, but it says I have to spread it first...

anyways, I'm giving up on posting what Vera needs to do off court to fix her head... I have done it A LOT. Only blind or deaf or someone who never heard about tennis doesn't know it. :fiery:

LeonHart
Jan 14th, 2004, 10:19 PM
darnit Vera, stop getting so mad when your at crucial points...you almost had this.

goldenlox
Jan 15th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Vera plays Zuzana ONDRASKOVA (CZE)
Udachi Vera!

goldenlox
Jan 16th, 2004, 02:26 AM
Vera's section-
Vera Zvonareva RUS (11) vs vs. Zuzana Ondraskova CZE
Melinda Czink HUN vs. Maria Vento-Kabchi VEN
Akiko Morigami JPN vs. Qualifier
Nicole Pratt AUS vs. Meghann Shaughnessy USA (17)

Vera lost to Meghann in New York. I want her to get through three rounds here. And play Lindsay in the round of 16.

LeonHart
Jan 16th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Vera could very well get through into the quarters. Lindsay might withdraw as well.

Mathijs
Jan 17th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Go Vera at the AO You can do it!! :worship: :kiss: :hearts:

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 17th, 2004, 11:50 AM
best of luck Vera in MEL, need a good run towards top 10.

goldenlox
Jan 18th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Vera won 6-3, 6-1.

Epigone
Jan 18th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Great start, Vera :woohoo:

I hope that she can make it past the second round for the first time this year :)

LeonHart
Jan 18th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Great start, Vera :woohoo:

I hope that she can make it past the second round for the first time this year :)
Vera already did :dance:

goldenlox
Jan 18th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Vera plays Melinda Czink in the second round.

vaiva
Jan 19th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Good win Vera. Saved otherwise a disastrous day

KV
Jan 19th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Indeed Good win Vera, after the disastrous results of Nadya/Alyona

Mathijs
Jan 19th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Good job done Vera :) :D

ys
Jan 21st, 2004, 02:55 AM
Go Vera, blitz her please.. We've been through enough of misery already at this tournament.

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2004, 02:58 AM
:bounce: :bounce: GO VERA!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2004, 02:59 AM
Vera is up a break in the 1st set: 2-0

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:08 AM
Vera was broken, but she then broke back and leads 3-1

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:11 AM
Vera 4-1.

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:16 AM
Vera broken :fiery: and leads 4-3

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:20 AM
It's unbelievable. It's like no one's ready for this tournament.
It's the only major from September to late May.
Everybody should be ready for this event. This is crazy.

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:22 AM
Vera faced a BP, but holds and leads 5-4

VERA, PLEASE FOCUS!!!

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:27 AM
Vera holds and leads 6-5

I hope that she is staying composed out there

ys
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:32 AM
Well done, baby. Now, quick second set please..

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:33 AM
Vera blew her first set-point opportunity at 30-40, but breaks and wins the 1st set 7-5.

Vera, it's time to destroy her :fiery:

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:39 AM
:yippee: Vera breaks and leads 2-0 in the 2nd set

Vera, you have to consolidate the break!

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:44 AM
Vera leads 3-1 :yeah:

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:44 AM
Vera leads 3-1. Vera has 25 UE's so far.

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:47 AM
Vera gets broken :fiery:, but still leads 3-2

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:54 AM
Vera had 3 bp chances, but couldn't convert :sad: ==> 3-3

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:54 AM
3-3. She's not playing well.

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:00 AM
:yippee: Vera breaks and leads 5-3

Vera, it's time to put this match to bed!

ys
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:00 AM
No, serving anything out is too much to ask..

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:01 AM
Vera broken :fiery: :fiery:, but still leads 5-4

What is going on?

ys
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:05 AM
Breaking for the match, that's different..

It's OK. it's still straight sets.

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:05 AM
Vera breaks and wins 7-5 6-4 :woohoo:

She'll need to improve if she wants to progress past the 3rd round

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:07 AM
A win is a win.

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:26 AM
Matches like this will hopefully help to strengthen Vera's mind. It's really interesting to observe how she reacts after points because it can tell you a lot about how the match will end up. It's a shame that they don't want to show her on television in Australia :( .

Even when she's practising, Vera gets quite emotional. I watched Vera and Dinara in Sydney for quite a long time and it's amazing how differently they approach practice. Dinara is like a big child. She likes to smile and joke around and she looks incredibly relaxed. Vera, on the other hand, looks very serious. Although she doesn't smash her racquet, you get the feeling that she would really like to do it. She also talks to herself in a very loud voice when she makes mistakes.

I just wish that Vera would calm down. She has the shots to challenge the top players, but her attitude may not allow her to beat the very best.

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:48 AM
Vera's next opponent will be Nicole Pratt, who progressed to the 3rd round with a 1-6 6-3 6-3 victory over Akiko Morigami.

Vera met Pratt in Sydney last week and won 6-2 6-3. Let's hope for a repeat performance!

KV
Jan 21st, 2004, 09:29 AM
Vera was far from brilliant. But a win is a win

hantuchovaslovak
Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:18 PM
i really want to see more of vera. she has a beautiful game and her consistancy level is very high. go and win the australian open.

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:22 PM
Vera won the first three points, then was broken by Pratt. Vera brakes, 1-1.
Pratt brakes, serving 2-1.

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:38 PM
Vera's down two brakes, 1-4.

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:51 PM
4-4.

goldenlox
Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:07 AM
Vera 7-5. Good job.

Epigone
Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:25 AM
I'm watching Vera on TV and will post a report after the match. Her game is like a rollercoaster and it's stressing me out :banghead: . She hasn't lost her head yet, so I'm expecting a win :)

goldenlox
Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:26 AM
Why did the first game of the second set take 20 minutes? Vera serving 0-2.

Epigone
Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:32 AM
Pratt injured the inside of her left thigh at the end of the first set. She had to leave the court for treatment. However, she seems to be moving fine right now.

Epigone
Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:42 AM
Vera clutched her left wrist at the end of the 5th game. It might be causing her some discomfort. She tried to hit a one-handed backhand return to give it a rest :sad:

ys
Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:46 AM
Things don't look good right now..:(

Epigone
Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:48 AM
Vera looks despondent. She basically gave up in the last game of the second set. She doesn't look like she want to be out there at all. She almost looks like she is going to cry :sad:

VERA, YOU HAVE TO FIGHT!!!

goldenlox
Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:49 AM
7-5, 2-6. So many matches where Vera wins the first set, but not the match.
I hope she can pull things together.

goldenlox
Jan 23rd, 2004, 01:00 AM
Vera serving up 3-1.

goldenlox
Jan 23rd, 2004, 01:06 AM
4-1, Vera up 1 brake. Finish Pratt now.

Keith17
Jan 23rd, 2004, 01:10 AM
Vera won. Lindsay kicks her butt next round. The end.

goldenlox
Jan 23rd, 2004, 01:10 AM
Vera into the round of 16. That's the way to finish! 7-5, 2-6, 6-1.
This could be a sign of maturity. Udachi Vera!!

Epigone
Jan 23rd, 2004, 01:26 AM
Vera won. Lindsay kicks her butt next round. The end.Although Vera hasn't really been in form this week, I wouldn't go so far as to say that. I was at the Vera vs Lindsay match in Sydney last week and had a few calls gone differently, that match would have gone to a tie-break in the 3rd. Vera was outhitting Lindsay for all of the first set and then at many other times throughout the match. If Vera keeps her head (and that's a big if) and reduces her UEs, I can see her beating Lindsay.

Epigone
Jan 23rd, 2004, 01:48 AM
Vera vs Nicole Pratt
1st set
1. Vera led 40-0, but was broken. Her serve looked shaky and she double faulted 0-1
2. 2 double faults from Pratt and Vera breaks back (GAME-15) 1-1
3. In this game, Vera was angry with a linecall on a smash that she hit. She walked up to the net and looked quite angry. She was broken (30-GAME) and smashed a ball int othe ground as she changed ends. 1-2
4. Vera missed another smash on BP and then missed another BP chance with an erratic shot (40-GAME) 1-3
5. Vera hit a lob and then turned her back on Pratt as she went over the baseline, but it almost seemed like she couldn't be bothered to turn around and face the court. Pratt put the smash away. Vera also missed another smash wide and was broken (15-GAME) 1-4
6. Vera was angrily talking to herself. She didn't look at all composed and hit 4 errors on returns, but managed to still break Pratt (GAME-40) 2-4
7. Vera's footwork was so bad that she almost hit a backhand from the middle of the baseline into the umpire's chair. However, she still held (GAME-30) 3-4
8. In this game, Vera hit a beautiful backhand slice dropshot. She tried another one from behind the baseline, but it didn't work. Vera broke Pratt again (GAME-30) 4-4
9. Held serve (GAME-15) 5-4
10. Vera blew 2 BPs on setpoint, she saved 2 game points, but hit a volley wide on deuce and Pratt held (40-GAME) 5-5
11. Held serve (GAME-0) 6-5
12. Vera hit a great crosscourt backhand winner and she broke (GAME-15) 7-5

Vera was very erratic at the start of this match. Some of her shots (both backhands and forehands) landed well over the sidelines. She had no rhythm at all and missed some VERY easy shots. At times she looked off balance and wasn't moving her feet very well. It looked as though Vera was just taking massive swings on returns and hoping for a winner.

Epigone
Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:21 AM
Vera vs Nicole Pratt
At the end of the 1st set, Pratt injured the inside of her left thigh and had to leave the court for treatment. There was a delay of between 5 and 10 minutes and Vera looked very calm while she waited.

2nd set
1. Vera double faulted at 40-30 after hitting a 2nd serve ace at 30-30 and she missed an easy volley at deuce (40-GAME) 0-1
2. Vera had a backhand winner overruled on BP. She saved 4 game points, but hit a backhand into the net (40-GAME) 0-2
3. Vera double faulted at 30-30, but saved BP and then hit a great crosscourt forehand to win the game (GAME-40) 1-2
4. Another UE on her return (15-GAME) 1-3
5. Vera clutched her left wrist as she walked back to her chair (GAME-30) 2-3
6. Vera looked dejected and clutched her left wrist again. She tried to hit a one-handed backhand return to ease the pain on her wrist, but Pratt easily disposed of it (15-GAME) 2-4
7. Vera saved 1BP, but was broken (30-GAME) 2-5
8. Vera hit 4 UEs on returns. She looked like she had lost all interest in the match and she almost had tears in her eyes (or so I think) (0-GAME) 2-6

At this point, I thought that Vera had absolutely had enough. Her wrist was obviously causing her problems and she looked as though she just wanted to leave the court. She looked like she wasn't at all focused. This was not 'angry Vera', but 'sad Vera'. She didn't appear to want to bust anything, but her shots just weren't dropping in. Pratt didn't appear to be hampered by her injury and I think that this further reduced Vera's confidence. She appeared to want to play the points very quickly and Pratt was holding her up because she was having problems with her balltoss. As she did throughout the match, Vera went back to her seat and sat with the towel over her head.

goldenlox
Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:46 AM
Thanks for the report. Udachi Vera!

Keith17
Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:48 AM
Vera really needs a boyfriend.

goldenlox
Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:53 AM
Who doesn't? Davai Vera!

Epigone
Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:18 AM
Vera vs Nicole Pratt
3rd set
1. Vera came out swinging and held serve (GAME-30) 1-0
2. Vera attacked on her returns, and she began to hit shots that she had been missing earlier and broke (GAME-15) 2-0
3. Vera hit what I think was a winner, but it was overruled by the chair. Vera was broken, and she once again smashed a ball into the ground. (15-GAME) 2-1
4. Vera played well and had 3BP chances (GAME-0) 3-1
5. Vera saved a BP with a solid backhand into the corner and served a second BP with a wide serve to Pratt's backhand. She wanted to keep up the tempo and got impatient with a ballboy who wouldn't give her a ball. (GAME-40) 4-1
6. Vera was leading 30-0 on Pratt's serve, but then Pratt brought it back to 30-30. Vera hit a backhand at an incredible angle to win the game and break (GAME-30) 5-1
7. Vera serves out the match (GAME-0) 6-1

This match was a complete rollercoaster and Vera was giving me chest pains in the second set. I have watched her a lot this year, yet I still can't figure her out. Something happens inside her head that I don't think anyone can explain. She was so erratic at the start of the match and then she suddenly started hitting winners. At some stages in the match, she looked as though she couldn't be bothered to run or hit the ball. At other stages, she looked so switched on that it was scary. It appeared as though she wanted to finish off points too quickly and this lead to her hitting balls wide.

A player like Lindsay Davenport won't let Vera back into the match after a double break. She really needs to cut down on her UEs and not rush points. Vera is very good at constructing points, so she doesn't need to go for big shots all the time. Vera's wrist will hopefully be fine for the next match, so she won't have to worry about that. However, she really needs to focus on every point. She can't just decide that she doesn't feel like playing anymore in the middle of a game. If Vera can focus and play to her potential, I believe that she can beat Lindsay.

KV
Jan 23rd, 2004, 07:45 AM
Good win

bubble
Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:32 AM
Good luck against Lindsay in the next round Vera! :)

Mathijs
Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:05 PM
Go Vera Go!!! :bigclap: :bigclap:

LeonHart
Jan 24th, 2004, 01:34 AM
Vamos Vera! Beat Lindsay this time ;)

Epigone
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:14 AM
Hopefully, Vera will be able to produce a scoreline like this in both sets. She is a very capable player if she stays focused. I think that Lindsay might be in for a very tough encounter.

:bounce: GO VERA!!! :bounce:

Epigone
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:11 AM
Vera's match is about to start.

:yippee: GO VERA!!! :yippee:

goldenlox
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:33 AM
Lindsay is serving at 5-1. Not a good start for Vera.

goldenlox
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:51 AM
Vera serving 2-2, 1-6.

bubble
Jan 25th, 2004, 02:10 AM
That was a horrible horrible performance by Vera.. :fiery:

she was already in tears halfway in the 2nd set... :sad:

goldenlox
Jan 25th, 2004, 02:13 AM
The final score was 6-1, 6-3.
Right now, Lindsay is a better player. Round of 16 is still a good result.
Now Vera has to try to get into the top 10 before RG.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 25th, 2004, 03:31 AM
Vera :sad: :mad: :(
Lindsay was too good :(

Epigone
Jan 25th, 2004, 03:39 AM
I'll try to provide a match report later because I am a little upset at the moment :sad:. Basically, Lindsay turned up to play, but Vera didn't. It seems that the anger that Vera displayed in Sydney has been replaced with sadness. Vera is so hard on herself and she was almost crying in the second set. I wish that she could just relax and be happy :). That would surely see an improvement in her game.

For my thoughts on Vera's disposition, please look here: http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=2983194&postcount=37

tenn_ace
Jan 25th, 2004, 05:27 AM
to me it's an old topic... i'm not wasting my time posting about it anymore...

goldenlox
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:37 PM
I'm going to give my opinion about Vera's emotions.
For these players, tennis is not only their life's work. It's their first love.
They want so badly to do well. To have better results, to improve. And I think they all get emotional about how well they play.
McEnroe would go crazy on court, but it didn't hurt his game.
Vera has to channel her emotions so they don't hurt her on-court focus.
But there's nothing wrong with crying now and then.

goldenlox
Feb 7th, 2004, 02:43 AM
It looks like Vera's next tournament is Memphis. She'll be #1 seed.

goldenlox
Feb 14th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Vera is the top seed in Memphis and has a bye.
Then Vera will take on either Flavia Pennetta or Tathiana Garbin.

Udachi Vera!

Epigone
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:47 PM
This is a great chance for Vera to win her second title.

Udachi Vera! :worship:

goldenlox
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:10 AM
Vera is playing doubles with Maria. We'll see if this becomes a team.
If Vera plays her game, she should be tough this week.

Epigone
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:50 AM
I have been quite surprised by the Zvonareva/Myskina doubles combination this year. They were defeated in the first round at both the adidas International and the AO, yet they are playing well in the singles. I would like to see them continue to play together, but it's also good to see Vera teaming up with Maria for Memphis. Now Vera will be a strong challenger in both the singles and the doubles :yeah:

goldenlox
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Vera plays doubles tonight. Her first singles match is against Garbin.

Epigone
Feb 17th, 2004, 03:34 AM
Vera and Masha won 6-4 6-7(8) 6-4 :woohoo:

goldenlox
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:53 AM
Vera won her first singles match 6-1, 7-5. Just Tier III doubles tomorrow.
Stay calm in your matches Vera. Show them what you can do.

Epigone
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:56 AM
Vera defeated Tathiana Garbin 6-1 7-5 and now advances to the quarter finals :woohoo:

bubble
Feb 18th, 2004, 03:23 AM
Keep going Vera! :)

ys
Feb 18th, 2004, 04:14 AM
Next few matches could be fun. Ash is probably next. Sharik then.

Epigone
Feb 18th, 2004, 05:10 AM
Some interesting facts from the match:

- Vera had 3bp opportunities in the only game that Garbin won in the first set.

- Vera's first serve percentage in the second set was a woeful 44%

- I'm pretty sure that Vera faced bp at 4-5 in the second set, but then held for 5-5, broke for 6-5 and closed out the match 7-5.

This once again highlights Vera's tendancy to be extremely destructive early in a match, but then to experience a drop in performance. I really hope that she can maintain a high level of play throughout her upcoming matches.

goldenlox
Feb 18th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Vera faced two set points-

Top-seeded Vera Zvonareva looked as if she was also going to breeze through her second round match against Tathiana Garbin after winning the first set 6-1. But the 19-year-old Russian struggled in the second set. Trailing 5-3, Zvonareva had to fight off two set points to pull out a 7-5 win and advance to the quarterfinals.

''I was a little bit lucky at 5-3 when she had two set points,'' Zvonareva said. ''Then, I just tried to keep my serve at 5-4. At 5-all, I was playing for every ball and trying not to miss and give her a chance.'' ''It's always tough to play the first match, especially when Tathiana had already played a match,'' Zvonareva said. ''I'm just happy I did well.''

Epigone
Feb 18th, 2004, 07:50 PM
''I was a little bit lucky at 5-3 when she had two set points,'' Zvonareva said. ''Then, I just tried to keep my serve at 5-4. At 5-all, I was playing for every ball and trying not to miss and give her a chance.'' ''It's always tough to play the first match, especially when Tathiana had already played a match,'' Zvonareva said. ''I'm just happy I did well.''Ooh, so it was actually worse than I said. Between pretending to do work at university and :banghead: my head on the desk because of Vera, I must have got confused :o . Anyhow, I'm glad that she showed the strength to fight back and win the set and the match.

Epigone
Feb 18th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Vera's QF opponent will be Gisela Dulko, who just defeated Ashley Harkleroad 7-5 7-6(3)

goldenlox
Feb 18th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Vera has to stay focused, and not look ahead. And stay focused with the lead.

Epigone
Feb 18th, 2004, 10:40 PM
Vera and Masha have won their doubles match 6-4 6-2 and are now into the semifinals :woohoo:

goldenlox
Feb 18th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Vera is not on the big court tomorrow against Dulko. I want to see Vera on tv. She has to win this.
I want to see that semi with Maria.

KV
Feb 19th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Go vera and bt. G. Dulko. Want to have a Vera vs. Masha semi

Epigone
Feb 19th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Go Vera! Remain focused on the match and consolidate when you break.

Epigone
Feb 19th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Go Vera! Remain focused on the match and consolidate when you break.As soon as I posted this, Vera broke for 2-0, but was then broken for 2-1 :o . I think that I had better :tape: :lol:

KV
Feb 19th, 2004, 08:56 PM
She leads 4-2 atm

Epigone
Feb 19th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Vera wins the first set 6-3 :yeah:. Now she needs to keep her foot on the gas pedal and continue her good play.

ys
Feb 19th, 2004, 09:29 PM
If Vera wins this tournament, there is a decent chance she will be Top 10 in one week time. Ai is going to lose tons of points next week, and it's not certain that she defends many of them in Dubai.

goldenlox
Feb 19th, 2004, 09:37 PM
I think Vera is crazy to be in Memphis. This is tomorrow in Antwerp-

12.00cet Klara Koukalova (CZE) vs. Myriam Casanova (SWI)
14.00cet Patty Schnyder (SWI) vs. Silvia Farina Elia (ITA)
f/b Karolina Sprem (CRO) vs. Chladkova/Foretz

Vera had better win this tournament. She's risking losing serious money and points being here.
Lisa has never lost here. And Maria is tough. It's easier in Antwerp.

ys
Feb 19th, 2004, 09:38 PM
And something has just happened in her match. there was a long delay in scoring apparently a medical timeout, and Vera is not winning many points after it..

ys
Feb 19th, 2004, 09:41 PM
I think Vera is crazy to be in Memphis. This is tomorrow in Antwerp-

12.00cet Klara Koukalova (CZE) vs. Myriam Casanova (SWI)
14.00cet Patty Schnyder (SWI) vs. Silvia Farina Elia (ITA)
f/b Karolina Sprem (CRO) vs. Chladkova/Foretz

Vera had better win this tournament. She's risking losing serious money and points being here.
Lisa has never lost here. And Maria is tough. It's easier in Antwerp.
This is aprrproate for Tier IV quarters, not for a tournament that had ambitions of becoming Tier I. Being in Memphis indeed does not make much sense, because Vera will go over three different surface in three straight tournaments. But I guess she does not want extra jetlag, and as she is US-based, she prefers staing and playing in America. It can pay off in later tournaments cause she will be fresher.