PDA

View Full Version : Vera Zvonareva rise to the top thread !!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

Epigone
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:27 PM
If Vera wins she plays Hingis or Jankovic, so Vera probably will get a few days off before Melbourne.So, regardless of what happens in singles, Bepa and Nathalie won't win the doubles title?

They are defending US Open champions.

goldenlox
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:36 PM
That's not the same as singles. But she might win against Jankovic or Hingis.

Epigone
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:59 PM
That's not the same as singles. But she might win against Jankovic or Hingis.Remaining in the doubles draw means having to stay in Sydney and play matches that could last two or more hours each day. That's hard work.

There is a reason why most players who have lost generally leave Sydney as soon as they can; they want to acclimatise to the conditions in Melbourne. Plus, in Bepa's case, I think that Meilen and Sam will go ahead without her if she remains in doubles only.

If Jelena beats Martina, I don't see why Bepa can't beat her. As always, converting BP chances will be very important. If she has a good BP conversion % against Stosur (someone with a good serve), I will be confident in Bepa's ability to win her 2nd round match.

Still, she first has to take care of Stosur, which won't be the easiest job in the world.

andrewbroad
Jan 7th, 2007, 11:57 PM
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=279831 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=279831)

Epigone
Jan 8th, 2007, 12:04 AM
They're gonna show Bepa's match now because she is facing Sam Stosur :banana:

Epigone
Jan 8th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Sam Stosur d. Bepa 6-1 6-4 :sobbing: :bigcry:

Sam won 20 points at the net, while Bepa won just 2 :help:

She wasn't keeping the ball deep enough and Sam was approaching the net and putting away easy shots :sad:

pav
Jan 8th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Why does she even bother going to Sydney? she plays good in Auckland then like a tithead over there, even if Stosur was having her usual spurt when playing in Aus, Bepa should have done better:fiery: why not give it a miss and have a proper break instead of giving breaks,don'tlike these 2 set losses toplayers she should beat or at the worst go down to in a close 3 setter. Detention is looming:fiery:

goldenlox
Jan 8th, 2007, 01:48 AM
Now she just has doubles for a week. She can give those wrists a little rest.

Epigone
Jan 8th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Why does she even bother going to Sydney?I know why I didn't bother going to Sydney :tape: (j/k :angel: )

At least she didn't go mental like last year :oshe plays good in Auckland then like a tithead over there, even if Stosur was having her usual spurt when playing in Aus, Bepa should have done better:fiery: why not give it a miss and have a proper break instead of giving breaks,don'tlike these 2 set losses toplayers she should beat or at the worst go down to in a close 3 setter. Detention is looming:fiery:Bepa was pretty good off the ground, but she just didn't have enough depth on her shots.

She didn't appear to be tired, as she was running everything down like she normally does.

It's just that Sam came in with a game plan, and Bepa didn't do anything to counter it :shrug:

goldenlox
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:00 AM
How long a trip is it from Auckland to Sydney?

Epigone
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:09 AM
How long a trip is it from Auckland to Sydney?3 hours

goldenlox
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Why did the TD rush her to the airport? If she knows she's in the finals, why not take a later fight?

goldenlox
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:21 AM
I'll bet Stosur wins her next round. She's playing exhausted players. Last year Vera won $250,000 at the USO.
This is the next major. Having a few days without singles could be good.
Next week is much more important.

Epigone
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Why did the TD rush her to the airport? If she knows she's in the finals, why not take a later fight?Yeah, that was strange. You can see here (http://www.auckland-airport.co.nz/flight_info.php?leg=D&range=I) that there are a number of flights to Sydney each day, so she should have been able to delay her departure a bit.

On the other hand, if she left on an 18:30 flight (assuming the timetable is the same today as it ws on Saturday), she'd arrive at 21:30. Then she'd have to clear immigration and customs and take a car to her hotel. That means she'd get in at around 22:30 at the earliest with two sore wrists, having played a match that lasted almost 3 hours.

I guess she wanted to get to her hotel a bit earlier so that she could rest...I'll bet Stosur wins her next round. She's playing exhausted players.If she played the way she did today, she'll beat everyone in her quarter.

goldenlox
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:41 AM
Mauresmo should come through the quarter, although she usually loses early right before a major.
The Mauresmo/Golovin winner will probably come through.
That's a tough quarter.

Epigone
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:58 AM
Mauresmo should come through the quarter, although she usually loses early right before a major.
The Mauresmo/Golovin winner will probably come through.
That's a tough quarter.Based on her play today, I think that Stosur can come through.

You could really see why she is a top doubles player with the way that she attacked the net.

goldenlox
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Why does she even bother going to Sydney? she plays good in Auckland then like a tithead over there, even if Stosur was having her usual spurt when playing in Aus, Bepa should have done better:fiery: why not give it a miss and have a proper break instead of giving breaks,don'tlike these 2 set losses toplayers she should beat or at the worst go down to in a close 3 setter. Detention is looming:fiery:Now she has a break. Vera and Nat can plan their whole week around doubles, if they can win.

pav
Jan 8th, 2007, 03:06 AM
So you don't think she'll be sitting around the back saying "I hate losing to that F*ing Stosur" I thought she could well go down to her ,but I expected it to be 3sets at least. Sam certainly responds to Aussie x3 Oi x3!sounds like she kept her reactor under control :tape: (better than I have)

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 8th, 2007, 03:16 AM
not again......... cant be a Deja Vu of 2006 :help:

Vera :( :( :sad:

probably draws Serena in 1st rd of Aus Open now too :o

Epigone
Jan 8th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Now she has a break. Vera and Nat can plan their whole week around doubles, if they can win.Bepa and Natalie made the QF of the French Open, lost in 1R at Stanford, gave a W/O after winning their 1R match in San Diego, then won the US Open title.

Despite their US Open title, I still think that there is still a ? over them as a team.

These next two tournaments in Australia will be very telling.

slk45
Jan 8th, 2007, 03:25 AM
Bepa!! :tears: :tears: :hug: :hug:
I think this is probably better. Vera didn't lose anything, and she needs to give her wrists a rest. The doubles won't be so bad now.

Why did the TD rush her to the airport? If she knows she's in the finals, why not take a later fight? It's possible she couldn't get the flight she wanted. But most likely, as Epigone suggests, she wanted to get there as quickly as possible to rest.

Take good care of yourself, Bepa! Good luck in doubles. :hug: :smooch:

goldenlox
Jan 8th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Not this tourny. Only the next one matters.

Epigone
Jan 8th, 2007, 03:29 AM
So you don't think she'll be sitting around the back saying "I hate losing to that F*ing Stosur" I thought she could well go down to her ,but I expected it to be 3sets at least. Sam certainly responds to Aussie x3 Oi x3!sounds like she kept her reactor under control :tape: (better than I have)Sam played a really good match, but Bepa was a bit :o

I mean, it was obvious from the start how Sam wanted to play the match and she pretty much dictated things. Bepa was retrieving like crazy, rather than controlling points. She was rallying pretty well, but as soon as she had to get balls back from deep in the corners, Stosur would just come into the net and put the ball away.

On the other hand, when Bepa got a short balls, she didn't follow them in :shrug:. Instead, she let Stosur recover and ultimately lost many of those points :help:

Epigone
Jan 8th, 2007, 03:52 AM

Vera :( :( :sad:She's gonna be fine ;)

This match was nothing like the :help: performance from last year :angel:probably draws Serena in 1st rd of Aus Open now too :oLet's try to be positive :lol: :unsure:

pav
Jan 8th, 2007, 04:05 AM
Bepa can be such a good net player, but still seems reluctant during singles matches:confused:

Epigone
Jan 8th, 2007, 04:15 AM
Bepa can be such a good net player, but still seems reluctant during singles matches:confused:Did she approach the net much in Auckland?

I mean, she has won two mixed doubles titles and a doubles Slam (as well as other normal doubles titles), but she only managed to win two points at the net :shrug:

I'd have words to say to that bloody drongo Sam (the coach, not the opponent :p) about formulating a proper game plan for her next match.

Fililander
Jan 8th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Just woke up to see that Vera has lost. For me surprising. I have said that this will be a short tournament and voila. Maybe she was too tired. Only doubles are left. Now she can rest a little bit more for the AO. That is important.

pav
Jan 8th, 2007, 06:10 AM
The bloody doubles performance is almost worse!

Epigone
Jan 8th, 2007, 06:12 AM
King/Sun d. Bepa/Nathalie 6-4 6-1 :help: :tape:

Here's an example of how :o this match was at times.

Bepa was serving at *1-3 in the 2nd set and served a DF@40-0. She ended up blowing GPx5 in the game and having to save BPx2. On BP#3, she served DF#3 of the game :help:

Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!

Fililander
Jan 8th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Also out in the doubles. They had not even a single break chance. Obviously it was a bad idea to play Sydney. Now rest and prepare for the AO Vera.

Epigone
Jan 8th, 2007, 06:20 AM
The bloody doubles performance is almost worse!I'd say it was worse :tape:

BTW, I forgot to mention that it was pretty windy today, but I doubt that affected Bepa's game too much :p

pav
Jan 8th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Did she approach the net much in Auckland?

I mean, she has won two mixed doubles titles and a doubles Slam (as well as other normal doubles titles), but she only managed to win two points at the net :shrug:

I'd have words to say to that bloody drongo Sam (the coach, not the opponent :p) about formulating a proper game plan for her next match.

She approached the net a bit but not as much as Craybas or JJ, it sounds like she played right into Sam's(the opponent) hands today and she gratefully accepted the gifts! The coach Sam was probably reading his latest mag.

nick_chicane
Jan 8th, 2007, 07:28 AM
What a bad day!

I also dont wanna see Vera blame tiredness cause thats just poor preparation as Jankovic could get herself ready for a much tougher match against Hingis and come out with the win! Vera has no excuses! It was just a bad day at the office! :sad:

Epigone
Jan 8th, 2007, 07:51 AM
She approached the net a bit but not as much as Craybas or JJ, it sounds like she played right into Sam's(the opponent) hands today and she gratefully accepted the gifts!I just saw a clip on the news. Sam came to the net and, instead of hitting a x-court passing shot, Bepa decided to lob it right into Sam's hitting zone :help:The coach Sam was probably reading his latest mag.I bet it wasn't Tennis Coach Monthly :tape:

rrfnpump
Jan 8th, 2007, 08:45 AM

Vera :( :( :sad:

probably draws Serena in 1st rd of Aus Open now too :o

exactly what I was thinking, I am a bit scared :scared:

I said some pages earlier I would like her to withdraw from Sydney, she should have done so... hopefully Vera gets a good draw in Melbourne :o

Epigone
Jan 8th, 2007, 09:08 AM
exactly what I was thinking, I am a bit scared :scared:

I said some pages earlier I would like her to withdraw from Sydney, she should have done so... hopefully Vera gets a good draw in Melbourne :oThe situations are different!

Last year, she sucked in the Auckland final and then lost to Vera D in a match full of :shout: and :smash: and :banghead: in Sydney. This year, she lost to Jankovic in a tough three set match (Jelena was on fire again today) and then lost to Sam Stosur simply because she had no game plan and wouldn't keep the ball deep. She was a little frustrated, but nothing like last year.

She can spend the week focusing on hitting deep balls/proper approach shots and then have a really good AO campaign :D

goldenlox
Jan 8th, 2007, 12:15 PM
That was quick. In Sydney, out of Sydney

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 8th, 2007, 01:15 PM
thats why we need 3 weeks of tennis before Aus Open

if you have 2 good weeks back to back, then you're drained for Aus Open.
make them play week after Xmas, or during that week and give them Xmas day off if the need arises.

if the Cricketers can play all day on Boxing Day in Melbourne, so can the tennis players. (and they start a jr tourn on Xmas Day in Mexico 2 weeks ago ;) )

would be good too.

pav
Jan 8th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Bepa flew over to sydney Town
she thought "I'm tired, I'll have to make this match quick
I'll lob short balls to shades wearing Sammy
confuse her, that should do the trick!"
Bepa thought the first set will fly past in a instant
she had thrashed Sammy Stosur before
just imagine the expression on her face
when she saw sammy's name on the big end of the score!
In the second Bepa played a bit better
but by then she had about as much hope
as that bugger with a first name of Saddam
falling when connected to a slightly short rope
Later Bepa went out with French Nat to play doubles
they had a talk, and decided it would only be fair
if they played like shit, like both did in singles
then both would end up with a nice matching pair:help:

goldenlox
Jan 8th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I'm not happy with Vera's doubles result. They are USO champs.
This looks like a tank job. They should take these matches seriously.

Epigone
Jan 8th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I'm not happy with Vera's doubles result. They are USO champs.
This looks like a tank job. They should take these matches seriously.Yeah, but look at their other results together :shrug:

Like I said, I thought that there was still a ? hanging over this team :o

goldenlox
Jan 8th, 2007, 09:54 PM
I think she wasn't healthy and didn't want to keep playing.
She needs to be hungry next week.
3 draws, and I expect Vera to go far in at least 2 of them.

pav
Jan 8th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Matt Brown, the commentator from the ASB, said he watched the match(must have been on a livestream)
said there was no crowd watching, I thought Sammy would attract some attention!

goldenlox
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:03 AM
They didn't put Stosur and Jankovic on Centre, so maybe she's not a draw.
I don't like Vera getting buried in doubles.
She has to take doubles seriously in Melboure. Stop the tanking.

pav
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:33 AM
You would think a little tanking was in action with the doubles, otherwise the other two played very well, if not someone needs to have a long talk with those two :(

Foot's Fingers
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:38 PM
ohh Vera Vera

but to beat Stosur in Sydney is a great task, it's like Kunitsin in KC i beleive
on another hand i prefer her to withdrew from Sydney not to lost in first rnd again

pls no repeat of 2006 now :tape:

Epigone
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:42 PM
They didn't put Stosur and Jankovic on Centre, so maybe she's not a draw.Sam gets lots of support at the Gold Coast (maybe because it's her home tournament), but I'd expect that people in Sydney would support her as well.I don't like Vera getting buried in doubles.
She has to take doubles seriously in Melboure. Stop the tanking.Then she should find a top doubles partner :oYou would think a little tanking was in action with the doubles, otherwise the other two played very well, if not someone needs to have a long talk with those two :(Bepa served three double faults in one game :help:. If you were gonna tank, wouldn't you still want to make yourself look semi-good? :p

pav
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Sam gets lots of support at the Gold Coast (maybe because it's her home tournament), but I'd expect that people in Sydney would support her as well.Then she should find a top doubles partner :oBepa serve three double faults in one game :help:. If you were gonna tank, wouldn't you still want to make yourself look semi-good? :p
You would think so,perhaps her tank was nearly empty :confused:

slk45
Jan 10th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Bepa served three double faults in one game :help:. If you were gonna tank, wouldn't you still want to make yourself look semi-good? :pYou would think so,perhaps her tank was nearly empty :confused:I think Bepa's too much of a professional to be tanking a match.

If you check out her serving stats at the end of Auckland, and at Sydney, seems to me they raise some questions. Even where she had high first serve % in, the pts won on 1st serve were lagging. And the 2nd serve pts were often worse. Suggests to me her problems with her wrists are affecting her serving. Even tho Bepa always discounts the issues with her wrists, it seems that ever since last April she's been icing her wrist(s) after nearly every practice and every match. If you need to do that for 8 months straight (in order to "avoid pain" as she finally said in Auckland), then it stands to reason that all is not well with her wrists! :( :sad:

pav
Jan 10th, 2007, 06:23 AM
I think it was in a good little interview Bepa had with Brenda Perry(I'll try and get it onto the hard drive) she had her hand up by her head and the inside of the wrist looked very red and a bit strange ,probably from the tight bandaging, but didn't look good(her eyes did!) I'll find it and have another look.

It wasn't in that interview, must have been when she was making a speech after the final,so she would have just removed the bandages,so it would look red.
we were discussing net approaches, I was looking at some of her semi final against Craybas, and at Vz 6-3 02 she had approached the net 4 times to Jill's 12, with Bep winning 2points and Jill 8 and at 6-3 4-5, Bepa had visited the net 8 times and Jill 18

slk45
Jan 11th, 2007, 04:01 PM
AUSTRALIAN OPEN 2007 WOMEN’S SEEDS

1. Maria Sharapova (RUS)
2. Amelie Mauresmo (FRA)
3. Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS)
4. Kim Clijsters (BEL)
5. Nadia Petrova (RUS)
6. Martina Hingis (SUI)
7. Elena Dementieva (RUS)
8. Patty Schnyder (SUI)
9. Dinara Safina (RUS)
10. Nicole Vaidisova (CZE)
11. Jelena Jankovic (SRB)
12. Anna Chakvetadze (RUS)
13. Ana Ivanovic (SRB)
14. Francesca Schiavone (ITA)
15. Daniela Hantuchova (SVK)
16. Shahar Peer (ISR)
17. Anna-Lena Groenefeld (GER)
18. Marion Bartoli (FRA)
19. Na Li (CHN)
20. Tatiana Golovin (FRA)
21. Katarina Srebotnik (SLO)
22. Vera Zvonareva (RUS)
23. Ai Sugiyama (JPN)
24. Samantha Stosur (AUS)
25. Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP)
26. Maria Kirilenko (RUS)
27. Mara Santangelo (ITA)
28. Flavia Pennetta (ITA)
29. Alona Bondarenko (UKR)
30. Tathiana Garbin (ITA)
31. Jie Zheng (CHN)
32. Eleni Daniilidou (GRE)

GO BEPA!! :bounce: :bounce:

Epigone
Jan 12th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Bepa has drawn Tzipora Obziler ISR in the 1st round of the AO

andrewbroad
Jan 12th, 2007, 12:10 AM
http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=9789809 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=9789809)

Epigone
Jan 12th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Bepa's 1/8 of the AO draw

Maria Sharapova RUS (1)
Camille Pin FRA

Roberta Vinci ITA
Anastassia Rodionova RUS

QUALIFIER
Meghann Shaughnessy USA

Emmanuelle Gagliardi SUI
Tathiana Garbin ITA (30)

Vera Zvonareva RUS (22)
Tzipora Obziler ISR

QUALIFIER
Severine Bremond FRA

Varvara Lepchenko UZB
Agnieszka Radwanska POL

Vania King USA
Ana Ivanovic SRB (13)

goldenlox
Jan 12th, 2007, 12:21 AM
She has Ivanovic in the 3rd, and the winner plays Sharapova.
Vera should win 2, maybe 3 matches.

Harju.
Jan 12th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Udachi Bepa.
It's a decent draw but she should be able to reach R16 to face Maria Sharapova.

goldenlox
Jan 12th, 2007, 02:31 AM
I hope so. Ivanovic will be a good test. And I want Vera to take her doubles matches seriously in Melbourne, not like Sydney.

rrfnpump
Jan 12th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Obziler will already be a good test, its a nice opener... Obziler has had some decent results lately, but Vera sould win this one in straights

I like the draw, Ivanovic is beatable.

go Vera :) :yeah:

slk45
Jan 12th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Slightly off-topic, but I would love to see John McEnroe commentate the 2nd round qualifiers match between Klara Zakopalova and Barbora Zahlavova Strycova. Or Mary Carrillo, for that matter. :tape:

pav
Jan 12th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Slightly off-topic, but I would love to see John McEnroe commentate the 2nd round qualifiers match between Klara Zakopalova and Barbora Zahlavova Strycova. Or Mary Carrillo, for that matter. :tape:

He used to have enough trouble saying "Carpreeaardee"

tobi
Jan 12th, 2007, 10:42 AM
good luck Bepa in Melbourne :hug:

Foot's Fingers
Jan 12th, 2007, 10:59 AM
comparing to last year GS draw it's just a gift

Ivanovic is beatable but all depends on Vera
then Sharpi but Tzipi should be the first victim

Good Luck Verunya!!! :rocker2:

KV
Jan 12th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Good luck at AUS-Open. First is to overcome Tzipi.

daniela86
Jan 12th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I really like this draw :D (except the fact that Bepa may face Sharpy in 1/8:sobbing: )
If Vera plays like she played in Auckland she should reach the 4r because Ivanovic is definitly beatable as Foot's Fingers said :yeah:.
I agree with goldenlox about the doubles.Bepa and Nathalie are able to win another slam so they should take it seriously:p!

Epigone
Jan 12th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Jon Wertheim, in his AO seeds report:Vera Zvonareva: Seems to be awakening from an extended slump.link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_wertheim/01/12/aussie.women/index.html?section=si_latest)

slk45
Jan 13th, 2007, 05:51 AM
GOOD LUCK IN MELBOURNE, BEPA!! :hug: :smooch: :bounce: :bounce:

pav
Jan 13th, 2007, 08:50 AM
GM is full of predictions, this one has a cakewalk draw, these ones will meet in the SFs etc. It all sounds good but every player has to take it, like this brand new multi million dollar machine walking off it's assembly pad just before xmas in Queensland. One step at a time!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/kahu/zq1.jpg

Epigone
Jan 13th, 2007, 09:12 AM
GM is full of predictions, this one has a cakewalk draw, these ones will meet in the SFs etc. It all sounds good but every player has to take it, like this brand new multi million dollar machine walking off it's assembly pad just before xmas in Queensland. One step at a time!:lol:

Predictions, predictions, predictions...

Like you (and Bepa) say, she needs to take things one match at a time.

On that note, have you noticed how many cliches Bepa throws into her interviews? :o

pav
Jan 13th, 2007, 10:08 AM
:lol:

Predictions, predictions, predictions...

Like you (and Bepa) say, she needs to take things one match at a time.

On that note, have you noticed how many cliches Bepa throws into her interviews? :o
:lol: She is a bit of a cliche kid,when they ask her how she thinks the next match will go, she always says "xx is a great player.and she will just have to play her best tennis, enjoy herself,and see how the match will go" Sometimes she gives a new meaning to "Enjoying herself"

Epigone
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Bepa's quarter of the AO doubles draw

Nathalie Dechy FRA (8)/Vera Zvonareva RUS (8) vs. Varvara Lepchenko UZB /Olga Poutchkova RUS
Vania King USA /Jelena Kostanic Tosic CRO vs. Marta Domachowska POL /Agnieszka Radwanska POL
Stephanie Foretz FRA /Klaudia Jans POL vs. Shengnan Sun CHN /Tiantian Sun CHN
Elena Bovina RUS /Alla Kudryavtseva RUS vs. Corina Morariu USA (9)/Rennae Stubbs AUS (9)

Elena Dementieva RUS (14)/Flavia Pennetta ITA (14) vs. Akiko Morigami JPN /Aiko Nakamura JPN
Sybille Bammer AUT /Eva Birnerova CZE vs. Tsvetana Pironkova BUL /Martina Sucha SVK
Casey Dellacqua AUS /Jessica Moore AUS vs. Vasilisa Bardina RUS /Alicja Rosolska POL
Monique Adamczak AUS /Evie Dominikovic AUS vs. Zi Yan CHN (2)/Jie Zheng CHN (2)

I think they'll have to take things one match at a time

pav
Jan 14th, 2007, 07:43 PM
It just entered my reasonably dense head after a good nights sleep that Tzipora Obziler is the player I watched nearly beat and really should have beaten Dani H.in the Q finals in Auckland last year, she put on not a bad performance that day.

Epigone
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Court 7
Start Time 11:00 AM
Men's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Lukas Lacko (SVK) vs. Robert Smeets (AUS)

followed by
Women's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Sophie Ferguson (AUS) vs. Jelena Kostanic Tosic (CRO)

Men's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Alexander Waske (GER) vs. Dmitry Tursunov (RUS)[21]

Vera Zvonareva (RUS)[22] vs. Tzipora Obziler (ISR)

Good luck!!!

Harju.
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Good luck Bepa.

slk45
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Bepa plays about 4pm Central Time US. Supposed to be in 90s F. (if Yahoo weather is reporting the correct day; as it's 130am AEST weather forecast, I can't be sure.) Stay cool, Bepa. :cool:

pav
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Got mad when I read this bit of Cronin writing:

• Her list of increasingly suspect conquerors includes Jill Craybas, Tiantian Sun, Vera Zvonareva, and, most recently, journey woman Sybille Bammer of Austria in the quarterfinals at Hobart last week. I tried to have my say in his forum but not a member:fiery: Cheeky bugger! The way Bepa was playing at Cinci. I wouldn't have called her a suspect conqueror:fiery: still better think of the future not the past:)

slk45
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Bepa plays about 4pm Central Time US.
GO BEPA!! :bounce: :bounce:Oops. I forgot to convert to US time. I'm guessing she will play about 4pm in Melbourne, which will be 11pm tonight in CST zone.

andrewbroad
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:17 AM
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=281138 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=281138)

Epigone
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Bepa's match has been postponed until tomorrow because extreme heat delayed play today

Court 21
Vera Zvonareva (RUS)[22] vs. Tzipora Obziler (ISR)

Good luck!!! :D

goldenlox
Jan 16th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Vera had a long week off since Sydney. She has to be ready at the start.

goldenlox
Jan 17th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Vera is up 6-3, 5-4. She needs to win this quick, and get out of the heat Yes!! 6-4!

Epigone
Jan 17th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Bepa d. Tzipora Obziler 6-3 6-4 :bigclap: :dance: :worship:

That's a nice start :)

Epigone
Jan 17th, 2007, 01:41 AM
Stats

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/7371/bepar1ki8.jpg

7 aces :cool:

Only 1 double fault :angel:

26 winners vs 23 unforced errors :worship:

8/11 points won at the net :D

4/8 break points converted :yeah:

Those stats are pretty :hearts:

Fililander
Jan 17th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Her next opponent is Tamira Paszek from Austria. She should win this and could face Ana Ivanovic.

rrfnpump
Jan 17th, 2007, 05:14 AM
great stats :yeah:

good win, Vera, now v Paszek :unsure:

slk45
Jan 17th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Nice win, Bepa!! :hug: :smooch:

Stay focused now, and play your game, and you should make it thru the next round in straights!!

GO BEPA!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Epigone
Jan 17th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Court 7
Women's Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Vera Zvonareva (RUS)[22] vs. Tamira Paszek (AUT)

followed by
Men's Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Max Mirnyi (BLR) vs. Dmitry Tursunov (RUS)[21]

Women's Doubles - 1st Rnd.
Nathalie Dechy (FRA)[8]/Vera Zvonareva (RUS)[8] vs.
Varvara Lepchenko (UZB)/Olga Poutchkova (RUS)

Foot's Fingers
Jan 17th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Vera :woohoo:

Already better then last year

great that match was delayed

had a chance to follow even again wake up at 2 am

AO as usul is killing me

Foot's Fingers
Jan 17th, 2007, 09:17 AM
and quite good bp conversation range 50%

i mean quite good for Vera

That's good!!!

Foot's Fingers
Jan 17th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Good Luck tomorrow in both matches

Esp against this up and coming girl , who is nothing to lose :fiery:

then i suppose not very long break before doubles (even no heat) co Mirnyi don't like long long points if not 5 sets

Epigone
Jan 17th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Bepa's 1/4 of the mixed doubles draw

Bob Bryan USA (1)/Lisa Raymond USA (1)
Paul Hanley AUS/Alicia Molik AUS

Andy Ram ISR/Vera Zvonareva RUS
Chris Guccione AUS/Casey Dellacqua AUS

Mahesh Bhupathi IND/Daniela Hantuchova SVK
Nenad Zimonjic SRB/Jelena Jankovic SRB

Max Mirnyi BLR/Victoria Azarenka BLR
Marcin Matkowski POL (6)/Cara Black ZIM (6)

It looks tough :o

Foot's Fingers
Jan 17th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Why the hell they are not seeded???????????

Bryan too early

Harju.
Jan 17th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Congrats Bepa :yippee:
Great stats from her match today. Hope she can keep it up for the rest of the two weeks :yeah:

KV
Jan 17th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Good first round match. :)

Epigone
Jan 17th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Why the hell they are not seeded???????????

Bryan too earlyI don't know, but the situation is ridiculous :fiery:

Still, strange things can occur in mixed doubles :unsure:, so let's see what happens :angel:

andrewbroad
Jan 17th, 2007, 11:39 PM
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?p=9830339#post9830339 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?p=9830339#post9830339)

goldenlox
Jan 18th, 2007, 02:09 AM
6-1 Vera

Epigone
Jan 18th, 2007, 02:11 AM
1st set stats

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/9692/bepar21yh2.jpg

Looking good :cool:

If she didn't have 3 unforced errors ar 5-0*, I think she could have had a bagel :sad:

Epigone
Jan 18th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Bepa had 3 unforced errors @ 5-0* in the 1st and another 3 unforced errors @ 2-0* in the 2nd.

She has 12 unforced errors for the match @ 6-1 *2-1

Epigone
Jan 18th, 2007, 02:49 AM
Bepa d. Tamira Paszek 6-1 6-3 :bigclap: :dance: :worship: :hatoff:

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 18th, 2007, 02:50 AM
well done Vera !!!!!!!!!! ;) :D

Epigone
Jan 18th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Match stats

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/5333/bepar2matchhf7.jpg

2 aces (down from 7 in the 1st round) :o

1 DF :yeah:

26 winner vs 26 unforced errors :bowdown:

5/9 break points converted :hatoff:

14/17 on net approaches :drool:

I'm loving 1) the fact that Bepa went to the net a lot and 2) that she won 82% of points at the net

Fililander
Jan 18th, 2007, 02:56 AM
Nice win Vera. In one hour. She had 26 Winners and 26 Unforced errors. And do not waste again 2-0 leads in the second sets.

goldenlox
Jan 18th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Now she has to play well against Ivanovic, probably

Fililander
Jan 18th, 2007, 03:07 AM
But first double with Dechy against Lepchenko/Poutchkova. Good luck girls.

Foot's Fingers
Jan 18th, 2007, 03:12 AM
Vera :banana:

Job done and it's a main thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quite a good stat
+ i am happy with a fact that Vera make a break when Tamira was serving at 1-6 3-3 40-0 - turn point of secnd set

as much as schedule makers fall in love with Ivanovic even she is 13 seeded only, expectied next time on show court

or may be Aga can do our life easier ( don't know whom to prefer to play in next rnd vs Vera)

rrfnpump
Jan 18th, 2007, 04:55 AM
good win again, Vera :) ;)
seems to be hitting very well!

good luck in next round v Ivanovic or Radwanska
both tough, but Vera can do it

Epigone
Jan 18th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Ana Ivanovic d. Aga Radwanska 6-2 3-6 6-2

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/6610/ivanovicr2me7.jpg

Ana hit 38 winners :scared: vs 38 unforced errors and approached the net a fair bit. Hopefully Bepa will come up with a smart game plan to take her down :cool:

slk45
Jan 18th, 2007, 06:40 AM
BEPA! :hug: :smooch: Excellent win against Paszek! :worship:

Good luck in the next round!

Epigone
Jan 18th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Bepa/Nathalie d. Lepchenko/Poutchkova 6-1 7-5 :bigclap: :dance: :hatoff: :bounce:

They had a BP for the match at 5-4*, but blew it :tape:

Fililander
Jan 18th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Nice win ladies. Now rest for the match against Ivanovic, Vera.

Munich
Jan 18th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Good job well done :hatoff:
Keep going like that and beat Ana, Vera :devil:

Foot's Fingers
Jan 18th, 2007, 09:09 AM
and doubles win came after singles :)

Nice!!!

Well, Ivanovic is really beatable, what aga is proved today

Vera need to have plan B for the game as well.... if smthng go wrong

Foot's Fingers
Jan 18th, 2007, 09:46 AM
no rest for Vera tomorrow:

Court 18 Start Time 11:00 AM

Women's Doubles - 2nd Rnd.
Alona Bondarenko (UKR)/Kateryna Bondarenko (UKR) vs. Anna-Lena Groenefeld (GER)[7]/Meghann Shaughnessy (USA)[7]

followed by
Men's Doubles - 2nd Rnd.
Jeff Coetzee (RSA)/Rogier Wassen (NED) vs. Marcos Baghdatis (CYP)/Konstantinos Economidis (GRE)

Women's Doubles - 2nd Rnd.
Nathalie Dechy (FRA)[8]/Vera Zvonareva (RUS)[8] vs. Vania King (USA)/Jelena Kostanic Tosic (CRO)

Good Luck!!!

goldenlox
Jan 18th, 2007, 12:42 PM
It's good they are winning in doubles, but this next singles match is a big deal.

Harju.
Jan 18th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Bepa :yeah:
Great stats again from her. LOL @ the net approaches. How ironic.
I think she should win against Ana though but you might never know with her though :shrug: Udachi.

slk45
Jan 18th, 2007, 05:15 PM
GOOD LUCK TODAY, BEPA!! Keep your focus. :armed: You can do it!!!

KV
Jan 18th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Well done Bepa. On current form Bepa has the edge vs. Ana. Good luck Bepa :) :D

Foot's Fingers
Jan 19th, 2007, 09:15 AM
what the hell is going on???????????? losing a set in doubles to nobodys????????????????

2 points away from taking a set
of cos not now :mad:

Epigone
Jan 19th, 2007, 09:30 AM
MCA
Men's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Florian Mayer (GER) vs. Tommy Haas (GER)[12]

followed by
Women's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Ashley Harkleroad (USA) vs. Daniela Hantuchova (SVK)[15]

Vera Zvonareva (RUS)[22] vs. Ana Ivanovic (SRB)[13]

I think that this match is quite winnable :)

Good luck!!!

Epigone
Jan 19th, 2007, 09:32 AM
what the hell is going on???????????? losing a set in doubles to nobodys????????????????

2 points away from taking a set
of cos not now :mad:Yeah, this match is horrible to follow :help:

At least they finally took the 2nd set :o

Now up 2-0* in the 3rd :yeah:

Epigone
Jan 19th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Bepa/Nathalie d. King/Kostanic Tosic 6-7(4) 6-4 6-0 :dance:

That was kinda tough :o

pav
Jan 19th, 2007, 09:58 AM
At least they got better as the sets went along :),I hope Bepa didn't wear herself out, she has one big mama to face tomorrow :eek:

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2007, 10:42 AM
As least they won it. Now comes the big singles match with Ana

Foot's Fingers
Jan 19th, 2007, 03:40 PM
well, in doubles second part of job done

next aim - Ana

Good Luck Vera!!! Will support you !!! :rocker2:

tobi
Jan 19th, 2007, 09:57 PM
good luck Vera,continue your run in both singles & doubles and mixed! :)

daniela86
Jan 19th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Vera :bounce: :bounce: Well done :D :bounce: King/Kostanic won at least one tournament together last fall and almost upset Ruano Pascual/Suarez once.I think they are not THAT bad even if Vera/Nat should be a level above :p Good luck against Ana tonight,davai Vera! :rocker: :bounce:

andrewbroad
Jan 19th, 2007, 11:31 PM
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?p=9847962#post9847962 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?p=9847962#post9847962)

pav
Jan 19th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Vera Zvonareva (+125) Ana Ivanovic (-165) (http://www.betus.com/sportsbook/default.aspx)
Prediction: Ana Ivanovic, the 19 year-old Serbian, turned out her best performance to date in last year’s tour, when she appeared in the fourth round of Wimbledon. In the 2006 Canada Masters Final, she defeated Martina Hingis 6-2 6-3. While the start to her 2007 season came with a surprise loss to Shahar Pe’er, 7-5, 4-6, 4-6, in the quarterfinals of the Monidal Hardcourts, Gold Coast, she managed a good performance in the Sydney International despite getting a tough draw. She downed Nadia Petrova in straight sets, before losing against a fit Nicole Vaidisova in the quarterfinals.
Vera Zvonareva, seeded 22 at the Australian Open, is a talented tennis player, but not equal to the rising 19 year-old Serbian. Her best Grand Slam appearances were in 2004. Ivanovic should defeat Zvonareva easily.
from .betus.com:fiery: hope that goat shagger is wrong:fiery:

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2007, 11:52 PM
I just heard Matt Cronin on Sirius radio say today is going to be ultra hot.
This is a bad day to play a tough match. And no roof on this court.

pav
Jan 20th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Raining at the moment:sad:

goldenlox
Jan 20th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Thta's good, if it rains all day. It's a good day to hang around in a cool room.

Epigone
Jan 20th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Bepa leads Ana 6-1 3-0* :tape:

1st set stats

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/3969/bepar319gc.jpg

Epigone
Jan 20th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Bepa d. Ana Ivanovic 6-1 6-2 :bigclap: :dance: :worship: :bounce: :yippee: :banana: :hatoff: :cool:

I'm soooooooo glad that she performed so well on the big stage. A repeat performance against Maria would be even more :drool:

Results like this make people pay attention :bowdown:

Epigone
Jan 20th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Match stats

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8669/bepar322py.jpg

0 aces vs 4 double faults :o

11 winners vs 12 unforced errors :yeah:

6/7 break points converted :worship: :bowdown: :D :hatoff:

5/10 net approaches won :shrug:

d. Ana Ivanovic 6-1 6-2...priceless :banana: :woohoo:

rrfnpump
Jan 20th, 2007, 06:36 AM
yeah, well done Vera :dance: :yeah: :yippee:
her baseline game was quite good, although some lousy errors

and she needs to work on her serve in the next round
she needs to play her best against Maria !!

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 20th, 2007, 06:36 AM
that was just wow ;) :D

Vera :woohoo:
hitting ball really hard and smooth on both sides
moving well and above all thinking clearly

Vera is back in top 20 :banana: :D :)

slk45
Jan 20th, 2007, 06:37 AM
[B][Ivanovic should defeat Zvonareva easily.
from .betus.com:fiery: hope that goat shagger is wrong:fiery:WAY WRONG!! :lol:

Incredible match from Bepa!! :hug: :smooch: :smooch:

1st set, 23 min. 2nd set, 27 min.

BEPA............................ 1st .............. 2nd
Aces............................. 0 .................. 0
DF................................ 3 .................. 1
Winners......................... 7 .................. 4
UE................................ 7 .................. 5
1st serve...................... 63% .............. 70%
1st serve pts................. 68% .............. 71%
2nd serve pts................ 36% .............. 50%
Recv pts....................... 70% .............. 58%
BP............................... 3/4 ............... 3/3
At Net......................... 3/5 ................ 2/5
Total Pts....................... 29 ................ 28

But what was Bepa doing? At 3-0 in the 2nd set, and again at 4-1 in the 2nd, Bepa spent the changeover with her towel over her head!! :scratch:
Well, if it helps.....

Great performance, great stats. Do it again against Masha!!

GO BEPA!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

slk45
Jan 20th, 2007, 06:44 AM
she needs to work on her serve in the next round
she needs to play her best against Maria !!
If you can get 70% of recv'd points, serving stats in 60s are very good.
But yes, she may as well go for perfection. Her win over Masha needs to look as easy as she made this one look. :worship:

You could see she was pumped!!! :bounce: :bounce:

I am so happy for Bepa!!! :woohoo: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Epigone
Jan 20th, 2007, 06:53 AM
(http://www.betus.com/sportsbook/default.aspx)Ivanovic should defeat Zvonareva easily.
from .betus.com:fiery: hope that goat shagger is wrong:fiery::haha:Thta's good, if it rains all day. It's a good day to hang around in a cool room.Bepa ended up playing on RLA in a match that lasted 51 minutes. That really beats playing a long match outdoors in the heat.

Hopefully she expended a minimal amount of energy because she'll be gunning for 3 titles next week :cool:

Harju.
Jan 20th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Congrats Bepa :banana:.
Now that's an impressive scoreline. Not the best stats but she was just outplaying Ana. And oh, welcome back to top 20 :woohoo:

Harju.
Jan 20th, 2007, 07:01 AM
:haha:Bepa ended up playing on RLA in a match that lasted 51 minutes. That really beats playing a long match outdoors in the heat.

Hopefully she expended a minimal amount of energy because she'll be gunning for 3 titles next week :cool:

LOL. Well I hope she set her priorities right this time ;)

pav
Jan 20th, 2007, 07:10 AM
That was even better than my imagination could think up! Even better she performed in the big arena, sometimes Bepa saves her worst for these occasions. that bloody goat shagger has a contact for comment about his?her article, so I'll be in there like a hairy dog:fiery: also a reporter covering the tournament from here said on the radio while I was having my annual shower,that Masha would be playing Ana,so she is going to cop an earful as well!
Need a few aces against mournful mooing Maria please Bepa :bounce:

slk45
Jan 20th, 2007, 07:18 AM
GO PAV!! :bounce: :bounce:

Epigone
Jan 20th, 2007, 07:29 AM
that bloody goat shagger has a contact for comment about his?her article, so I'll be in there like a hairy dog:fiery: also a reporter covering the tournament from here said on the radio while I was having my annual shower,that Masha would be playing Ana,so she is going to cop an earful as well!You're fired up :rolls:need a few aces against mournful mooing Maria please Bepa :bounce:Serve stats (http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/stats/day10/2302dss.html)

An interesting observation is that Bepa didn't make a challenge during the match. I guess the novelty wore off :sad: :lol:

pav
Jan 20th, 2007, 07:29 AM
The goatshagger didn't have a contact:sad: it was only to stick some other bugger's email if you enjoyed it so much you wanted to send it to a friend(if I knew Bepa's:devil: )

I'm hoping they wiill show the match(or some of it) before the night session,but Dav. is taking too long!
No challenges? she should be ashamed of herself!

Epigone
Jan 20th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Court 6
Anna Chakvetadze (RUS)[12] vs Jelena Kostanic Tosic (CRO)

followed by
Women's Doubles - 3rd Rnd.
Nathalie Dechy (FRA)[8]/Vera Zvonareva (RUS)[8] vs.
Shengnan Sun (CHN)/Tiantian Sun (CHN)

Legends Doubles
Mats Wilander (SWE)/Richard Fromberg (AUS) vs.
Kim Warwick (AUS)/Geoff Masters (AUS)

Mixed Doubles - 1st Rnd.
Andy Ram (ISR)/Vera Zvonareva (RUS) vs.
Chris Guccione (AUS)/Casey Dellacqua (AUS)

Don't waste too much energy :p

Good luck!!! :bounce:

Epigone
Jan 20th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Vera Zvonareva staged a huge upset today, beating 13th seed Ana Ivanovic in under an hour.link (http://www.skynews.com.au/sport/story.asp?id=150572)

:rolleyes:

Epigone
Jan 20th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Vera marches on
by Naomi Levin
Saturday, 20 January, 2007

Russian Vera Zvonareva has caused an upset, comprehensively beating No.13 seed Ana Ivanovic 6-1 6-2 on Day Six at Australian Open 2007.

The match, which was moved from Margaret Court Arena to Rod Laver Arena because of the rain, lasted only 51 minutes as the Russian No.22 seed made short work of her Serbian opponent.

Zvonareva has a battle on her hands going into the fourth round though, with her compatriot Maria Sharapova, the No.1 seed, waiting.

After racing through the opening set, Zvonareva then shot out to a 4-0 lead in the second before Ivanovic got a break back and then won her own service game.

It was not enough for the Serbian teenager though, with Zvonareva taking advantage of her early lead to close out the match.link (http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/match_reports/2007-01-20/200701201169276988359.html)

pic (http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/photos/2007-01-20/200701201169278552093.html)

Kipling
Jan 20th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Congrats, Bepa! I knew she could do it.

Regardless of what happens in round 4, I hope it's a great match.

Epigone
Jan 20th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Someone actually wrote a full article on Bepa :eek:

I don't really agree with the analysis of the Bepa vs Maria match-up. but I'll take what I can get :p

Bepa managed to throw in a few of her cliches :lol:Vicious Vera is Back; Clubs Ivanovic
By Matthew Cronin, Tennis Reporters.net
Ana Ivanovic surely has had worse matches, but never at a Slam. Vera Zvonareva torched the talented Serb 6-1, 6-2, whose point construction was about as well thought out as watching a toddler trying to build a tower with watery Play Dough. Ivanovic was incredibly impatient and when former top 10er Zvonareva is in her “Vicious Vera” zone, that’s the wrong way to play. Zvonareva is a relentless groundtsroker who when confident, hits the ball very deep, plays inside the baseline and take the ball on the rise. She’s a B-minus Monica Seles, without the composure, hunger, or return of serve, but with groundstrokes that resemble a thrashing machine. You have to mix it up against Vera Z., and Ivanovic didn’t.

“I kept the same pace and didn’t give her much to counter,” Zvonareva told Tennis Reporters.net. “You have to fight for every point, use your chances to stay aggressive, serve well, put the pressure on her return. Everything has to go well against the top players. I’m really happy with how I played form the first point the end.”

Zvonareva is a curious but familiar case: a driven woman who cracked the top 10 as a teenager, and then emotionally fell apart and has yet to return. She’s won five career titles, but has never stood out at the Slams, reaching the Round of 16 four times and a quarterfinal once. The bright lights of the big courts have never been particularly kind to her and after she busted into the top 10 as a 18 year-old back in 2004, she slowly slid backward. She was prone to crying in the middle of matches, even when she was ahead. But last year, she began to mature and won two small titles and ended the year ranked No. 24.

“I had it all in one year, my ranking dropped and it went back up again,” she said. “ I’m a more mature player now. In 2004, I was up and coming and everything was new to me. I know both sides of it: you can get injured and be out and you can’t always go up in the rankings.”

She had trouble besting top 10ers (she fell to the likes Sharapova, Clijsters, Dementieva and Petrova, among others), but she certainly has the tools to make a top 15 drive again. At the start of the year, she reached the Auckland final, falling in the third set to Jelena Jankovic.

But taking down a young but fairly notable scalp like Ivanovic should do her well. The key for Zvonareva is keeping a positive attitude, because she can get very negative.

“I just try to enjoy myself, but I know it’s a great opportunity to be on the center court of a Grand Slam and show your best,” the 22nd seed said.” That’s my main goal. Last year I had some bad draws at the Grand Slams.”

Speaking of tough draws, Zvonareva’s next opponent will be top seed Maria Sharapova. They've played six times, with Zvonareva’s taking two early contests and Sharapova winning their last match, at 2006 San Diego. Zvonareva has shown an ability to grind down Sharapova, but the top seed also knows how to mix up speed and angles and not get coaxed into a flat out bash fest.

“She a fighter,”” said Zvonareva, who is coached by American Sam Sumyk and trains in both Tampa and Moscow. “No matter what she fights for every point , she knows what to do and what works for her. She always sticks to what she has to do and I have to be ready for long match.”

In some ways, this type of fourth round match could be dicer for the rope-swinger Sharapova (see my article on foxsports.com). An in-form Ivanovic has better long-term potential than Zvonareva (that is, if she can figure out how to change strategies mid-match), but Vera Z. can grind on a hot day, she could land plenty of body blows. But Sharapova is still the pick here.http://www.tennis-reporters.net/nadal_aussie_012007.html
(delete the -)

Fililander
Jan 20th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Woooow. Unexpected Scoreline. What a great match from Vera. Congrats for a nice performance. Damn. Why must i fall asleep? Now against Sharapova. Maybe she can do it.

goldenlox
Jan 20th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Way to go Vera!

Vera has already beaten Sharapova, at Tier I Montreal. I have that match on tape, and Sharapova didn't play badly.
TA has tried to give Sharapova preferential treatment, by putting her on a court with a roof every match.

But it backfired because of those heat rules, which almost put Sharapova in the hospital, and made TA look like fools.

Vera can definately win. She had a wrist injury last summer, and didn't play for a month after their match in San Diego.
The Vera who played Cincinnati, this Vera, a healthy Vera, can wear down a heat fatigued Sharapova.

Epigone
Jan 20th, 2007, 01:09 PM
GL, you're posting about Bepa everywhere :lol:. Thanks for copying and pasting the article I posted above into the GM forum :p

Way to go Vera!

Vera has already beaten Sharapova, at Tier I Montreal. I have that match on tape, and Sharapova didn't play badly.Bepa is capable of producing very good tennis :cool:TA has tried to give Sharapova preferential treatment, by putting her on a court with a roof every match.

But it backfired because of those heat rules, which almost put Sharapova in the hospital, and made TA look like fools.TA will do everything to get her as far as possible, but Bepa will ruin their plans :devil:Vera can definately win. She had a wrist injury last summer, and didn't play for a month after their match in San Diego.Good point. Masha won 6-4 6-4, but Bepa's wrist was in bad shape.

Another interesting fact is that Bepa has won 3 or more games in each of the 11 sets that they've played.

Holding serve is going to be very important because one break could cost her the set. Maria was broken early by Garbin, but Garbin gave the break straight back. Consolidating those breaks will be crucial.The Vera who played Cincinnati, this Vera, a healthy Vera, can wear down a heat fatigued Sharapova.She had something like 5 unforced errors in her match against Jankovic and then destroyed Serena as well. I think that she can drive Maria into the ground with consistent shots from the baseline.

Epigone
Jan 20th, 2007, 01:27 PM
From Ana's websiteAna was thoroughly disappointed after losing losing 6-1, 6-2 (http://www.anaivanovic.com/?path=start/news&detailpage=601) to world No.24 Vera Zvonareva in the third round of the Australian Open, but she was quick to praise her opponent, who ruthlessly seized on the 19-year-old’s errant hitting.

“It was just a bad day,” said Ana. “Everything I tried didn’t work. It is very disappointing, but I have to give her credit. She played very good and served really well.”

So one-sided was the scoreline that some reporters wondered if Ana was injured. She quickly dismissed this idea. “It’s not always that you have physical problems when you lose!” she said while laughing.

“Many times you learn more from losses than you do wins. I’m still learning how to deal with the pressure and the expectation and I have many more years ahead of me.”link (http://www.anaivanovic.com/?path=news&detailpage=602)

It's nice that Ana gave credit to Bepa :yeah:

KV
Jan 20th, 2007, 01:32 PM
At least one of the best or even ever best match ever played during her young career. GREAT :bounce: :bounce:

rrfnpump
Jan 20th, 2007, 01:38 PM
definitely not the best match ever that Vera played, am I really the only one who thinks she played well, sometimes great, but not more? Her serve wasnt as sharp as it could have been and her baseline game was great, but Ana did enough of her own to make life easier for Vera.

I have seen plenty of matches where she played better
against Capriati and Petrova in Philadelphia, against Venus at RG, against Sharapova in Montreal and against Serena when she lost in 3

goldenlox
Jan 20th, 2007, 01:39 PM
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/MEL17701200708.jpg

Russia's Vera Zvonareva returns the ball to Serbia's Ana Ivanovic in their third round match at the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne, Saturday, Jan. 20, 2007. Zvonareva won in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2.(AP Photo/Rick Stevens)

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/XMEL15501200707.jpg

Russia's Vera Zvonareva celebrates after her third round match against Serbia's Ana Ivanovic at the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne, Saturday, Jan. 20, 2007. Zvonareva won in straight sets 6-1 6-2. (AP Photo/Andrew Brownbill)

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/MEL17501200703.jpg

Russia's Vera Zvonareva celebrates after defeating Serbia's Ana Ivanovic in their third round match at the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne, Saturday, Jan. 20, 2007. Zvonareva won in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2.(AP Photo/Rick Stevens)

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/MEL17401200700.jpg

Russia's Vera Zvonareva waves to the crowd after defeating Serbia's Ana Ivanovic in their third round match at the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne, Saturday, Jan. 20, 2007. Zvonareva won in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2.(AP Photo/Rick Stevens)

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/XMEL15401200702.jpg

Russia's Vera Zvonareva reaches for a backhand during her third round match against Serbia's Ana Ivanovic at the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne, Saturday, Jan. 20, 2007. Zvonareva won in straight sets 6-1 6-2. (AP Photo/Andrw Brownbill)

~Kiera~
Jan 20th, 2007, 01:50 PM
If anyone wants a stream version of the match (wmv format) you can download it here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6V23GUFC

Good luck against Maria :yeah:

Epigone
Jan 20th, 2007, 01:57 PM
If anyone wants a stream version of the match (wmv format) you can download it here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6V23GUFC

Good luck against Maria :yeah:I'm already downloading it :p, but thanks :D

I had to watch the livestream from Serbia because they wanted to show Nadal :yawn: and then Clijsters vs Bondarenko here :crying2:

Fililander
Jan 20th, 2007, 02:20 PM

Good luck against Maria :yeah:

Thanks a lot:angel: . Forced to install a toolbar. What a :tape: :tape: :tape:

Has someone found HQs pics from Vera?

the cat
Jan 20th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I'm not suprised Vera beat Ana. But I am surprised she routined her so easily. Maybe Vera is ready to be a very good player again. She has a decent chance to beat Big Masha in the round of 16. Especially if the roof is open and it's a hot day. But I'm sure Team Masha will try to persuade Tennis Australia to close the roof no matter what after Tennis Australia's debacle in round one which almost cost Sharapova her match and yet still cost her valuable energy that she probably can't get back this tournament.

It seems like Vera has a grip on her career and what's gone wrong. She shounds like she has it together. I think Vera has alot of talent and should be a top 10 player. :)

goldenlox
Jan 20th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Leaburn, where's the next Diary entry?

Epigone
Jan 20th, 2007, 05:33 PM
No challenges? she should be ashamed of herself!My mistake :o

She correctly challenged a call in the opening game of the 2nd set :p

Fililander
Jan 20th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Leaburn, where's the next Diary entry?

I am also waiting. But it seems she is not writing anymore. I had the hope that she continues writing during the season but no luck. To bad.

Epigone
Jan 20th, 2007, 06:07 PM
definitely not the best match ever that Vera played, am I really the only one who thinks she played well, sometimes great, but not more?I've seen her play a number of better matches.Her serve wasnt as sharp as it could have been and her baseline game was great, but Ana did enough of her own to make life easier for Vera.I thought that her serve was pretty good, but I agree with you on the other two point :D

Can we all agree that she looked absolutely :help: whenever she approached the net? :o There were a few balls that she should have put away easily at/when approaching the net, but Ana managed to hit winners or force an error. It was the same problem that she had against Stosur and it needs to be addressed right now.

You wouldn't believe that she has won a bunch of doubles titles and was 14/17 on net approaches against Paszek. I really hope that I have simply seen two off days :o

Oh, I'd also like to state that there is no way that Sam is as :cool: as Lex :lol:

goldenlox
Jan 20th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Nadia messes up at the net in singles also. They aren't concentrating at the net the way they do in doubles.

goldenlox
Jan 20th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Vera has to keep her focus, like Montreal 2004. Sharapova won't give up like Ana, so Vera has to focus the whole match.
This is already a good major for Vera who had nothing to defend.

slk45
Jan 20th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Oh, I'd also like to state that there is no way that Sam is as :cool: as Lex :lol: What do you mean? :(

pav
Jan 20th, 2007, 07:10 PM
A few aces wouldn't go astray in her next match against the featureperson,who wont be handing as many gifts out as Ana. A B minus Monica Seles :fiery: he could have awarded a B bloody plus :fiery: . I'm watching a replay now of the match and hoping they will show from 3-0 to 5-2 in the second as they left to show Alicia Patty and only showed the last game after.

Fililander
Jan 20th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Ive just watched the match. Vera played solid but Ana was bad. Too many errors in her game. I only see a small chance for Vera to beat Maria S. But there is a chance. Go Vera.

Btw: Vera dont put everytime the towel above your head. It is impossible to adore your beauty:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :worship: :worship: :worship: .

daniela86
Jan 20th, 2007, 07:50 PM
I've seen her play a number of better matches.I thought that her serve was pretty good, but I agree with you on the other two point :D

Can we all agree that she looked absolutely :help: whenever she approached the net? :o There were a few balls that she should have put away easily at/when approaching the net, but Ana managed to hit winners or force an error. It was the same problem that she had against Stosur and it needs to be addressed right now.

You wouldn't believe that she has won a bunch of doubles titles and was 14/17 on net approaches against Paszek. I really hope that I have simply seen two off days :o

Oh, I'd also like to state that there is no way that Sam is as :cool: as Lex :lol:

2 days off? :confused: You're exaggerating a bit :p
Vera won easily against Paszek and Ivanovic,we should be happy for her and not always finding something to repproach her :o I mean she didn't have to play her best tennis to win so the fact that she wasn't always focused and made some mistakes is not something to worry about imo.:shrug: I wouldn't try to focus and play every point at 100% if I have had a huge lead either:p
Congrats for this easy win Vera :yeah: and best of luck against Sharpie :D and in doubles :bounce: :bounce:
Davai!!!!! :bigclap: :bigclap:

goldenlox
Jan 20th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Sharapova was talking about Vera -

Sharapova next faces an all-Russian meeting against Zvonareva.

"Vera is also tough physically, gets a lot of balls back, makes you hit a lot of balls," Sharapova said of Zvonareva. "Just a matter of giving her another ball to hit."

So Sharapova expects Vera to miss. Vera Has to stay steady. Focus

~Kiera~
Jan 20th, 2007, 10:02 PM
http://www.eurosport.co.uk/tennis/australian-open/2007/mc_vid32762.shtml

Barbara Schett interviews Vera

slk45
Jan 20th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks, Kiera!! :worship:

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2007, 02:57 AM
Vera and Dechy lost the first set 3-6

Fililander
Jan 21st, 2007, 03:13 AM
Zvonarechy broken. 3-6 1-3. That doesnt look good.

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2007, 03:35 AM
Bepa and Nathalie lost 3-6 3-6 :help: :sobbing: :crying2: :bigcry: :sad:

Mixed doubles is still to come...

Good luck!!!

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2007, 03:35 AM
Vera lost 3-6, 3-6

pav
Jan 21st, 2007, 03:41 AM
They were always one step behind in that match :sad:

slk45
Jan 21st, 2007, 03:42 AM
Bepa/Nat!! :sad: :sad: :hug:

Fililander
Jan 21st, 2007, 04:05 AM
Well out in doubles. Too bad. Good luck in mixed today Vera.

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2007, 05:10 AM
They were always one step behind in that match :sad:True :sad:

1st set
1-0* *1-1 1-2* *1-3 2-3* *2-4 2-5* *3-5 3-6

2nd set
*0-1 1-1* *1-2 1-3* *2-3 3-3* *3-4 3-5* 3-6

Blue indicates when they broke and red indicates when they were broken

rrfnpump
Jan 21st, 2007, 05:18 AM
stupid loss :( against pretty much nobodies :( :(

this connection doesnt work, it worked at the US Open, but it didnt work before and it doesnt work now

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2007, 05:45 AM
Play has been suspended at 5-4 30-15* :(

Bepa and Andy trailed until they levelled the match at *4-4

rrfnpump
Jan 21st, 2007, 05:52 AM
Play has been suspended at 5-4 30-15* :(

Bepa and Andy trailed until they levelled the match at *4-4

in fact, they lost the first 12 points of the match :help: :o
I was like WTF is happening...

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2007, 06:19 AM
in fact, they lost the first 12 points of the match :help: :o
I was like WTF is happening...I know, it was :tape: :help:

I was ready to go :smash:

They have to win this match in 2!

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2007, 08:11 AM
Making the 4th round in singles makes this a good tournament for Vera.
She and Dechy, I don't know, Vera can find better partners, imo.

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2007, 09:18 AM
Making the 4th round in singles makes this a good tournament for Vera.
She and Dechy, I don't know, Vera can find better partners, imo.I agree, but finding the right person is the challenge.

I doubt that Bepa and Andy will be able to finish their match tonight, so I guess they'll have to complete it sometime tomorrow.

Bepa needs to get back to her hotel and rest because tomorrow is a big day.

She's gonna get the chance to take out the #1 seed :armed:.

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2007, 12:01 PM
Rod Laver Arena
Start Time 7:30 PM
Women's Singles - 4th Rnd.
Maria Sharapova (RUS)[1] vs. Vera Zvonareva (RUS)[22]

MCA
Women's Doubles - 3rd Rnd.
Dinara Safina (RUS)[5]/Katarina Srebotnik (SLO)[5] vs.
Yung-Jan Chan (TPE)/Chia-Jung Chuang (TPE)

followed by
Mixed Doubles - 1st Rnd.
Rogier Wassen (NED)/Andreea Ehritt-Vanc (ROM) vs.
Stephen Huss (AUS)/Monique Adamczak (AUS)

Mixed Doubles - 1st Rnd.
Kevin Ullyett (ZIM)[7]/Liezel Huber (RSA)[7] vs
Mike Bryan (USA)/Corina Morariu (USA)

Men's Singles - 4th Rnd.
Tomas Berdych (CZE)[13] vs. Nikolay Davydenko (RUS)[3]

Mixed Doubles - 1st Rnd.
Mahesh Bhupathi (IND)/Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) vs
Nenad Zimonjic (SRB)/Jelena Jankovic (SRB)

Not Before 8:30 PM
Mixed Doubles - 1st Rnd.
Andy Ram (ISR)/Vera Zvonareva (RUS) vs.
Chris Guccione (AUS)/Casey Dellacqua (AUS)
To Finish 5-4

Я верю в тебя!!!

russophile
Jan 21st, 2007, 12:57 PM
good luck against maria tomorrow~~1!!

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2007, 02:53 PM
This will be a diifcult match to win. But the year has been strong so far.
Very good Auckland. Then loss to Stosur, but that's undrstandable.
Very good AO run.

Could be Vera makes a run at the YEC this year, if she stays healthy.

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2007, 03:12 PM
This will be a diifcult match to win. But the year has been strong so far.
Very good Auckland. Then loss to Stosur, but that's undrstandable.
Very good AO run.

Could be Vera makes a run at the YEC this year, if she stays healthy.Bepa won't be thinking about the YEC. She just wants to take things one match at a time...and have fun on court (yay for cliches :banana: )

I vBet 500 (that's a LOT for me) on this match at the great odds of 3.65. I'll tell Bepa about it in her guestbook so that she'll have extra motivation to win :tape:

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2007, 03:28 PM
Tough to beat Sharapova before a SF, besides RG.
Vera's best chance is to stay competitve, and make sure it's a long match. Don't lose 4 or 5 games in a row, and don't give up on a game when you're down 0-30.
Keep the match long, and close. Maybe that first round match will have an effect on her endurance.

Fililander
Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:17 AM
Mats Wilander meant that Sharapova is not in danger. I am sure that he thought that Mauresmo is also not in danger:rolleyes: . Experts :rolleyes: . Well, no. 2 and 3 are out. Time to send the No.1 home. Unfortunately i cant watch the game. Good luck Vera. It will be tough but you can do it:wavey: :wavey::worship: .

pav
Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:36 AM
Bepa got an A !
A

Roger Federer: On the verge of reaching the semis for the 11th consecutive Slam.
Serena Williams: The hot weather notwithstanding, she was the story of Week 1. The more other players dismiss her, the more it becomes clear Serena still has an intimidation factor that's good for a game or two a set.
Fernando Verdasco: On the verge of defeat, the Spaniard won his first-round match when Paul Henri Mathieu retired with a turned ankle. Concerned about his opponent's well-being, Verdasco accompanied Mathieu to the hospital.
Martina Hingis: Granted, she hasn't exactly played top opposition, but through three rounds she has yet to drop more than two games in a set.
American men: Four of the final 24 men were Yanks and that doesn't include wild card Sam Querrey, who reached Round 3. Cancel the order for that embalming fluid.
Vera Zvonareva: Back from her swoon, the feisty Russian stormed into Round 4.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_wertheim/01/21/midterm.grades/inde

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:37 AM
Most people think Sharapova will win this. Vera is capable, but she rarely goes this far at the majors.
If Vera won, it wouldn't surprise me.

That's some list. Kim gave up about 8 games for the week, no A for her?

andrewbroad
Jan 22nd, 2007, 02:26 AM
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?p=9867202#post9867202 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?p=9867202#post9867202)

slk45
Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:44 AM
Good luck tonite, Bepa!! :bounce: :bounce:

slk45
Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:58 AM
GOOD START, BEPA!! Keep it up!! :bounce: :bounce:

Foot's Fingers
Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:59 AM
back just for the start of the match

Good Luck Vera!!!

I trust in you!!!

Epigone
Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:39 AM
Mats Wilander meant that Sharapova is not in danger. I am sure that he thought that Mauresmo is also not in danger:rolleyes: . Experts :rolleyes: . Well, no. 2 and 3 are out. Time to send the No.1 home.Experts are idiots :pUnfortunately i cant watch the game. Good luck Vera. It will be tough but you can do it:wavey: :wavey::worship: .I'll have to follow the live scores because the TV broadcast will be delayed by an hour in Brisbane :fiery:
Bepa got an A++ !
Vera Zvonareva: Back from her swoon, the feisty Russian stormed into Round 4. through the field to capture the AO title
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_wertheim/01/21/midterm.grades/indeFixed to reflect what we'll read after the final :cool:

Epigone
Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:02 AM
1st set stats

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2293/bepar410mj.jpg

:sobbing:, but Maria converted just 1 of 10 BP chances in the set :p

Epigone
Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:32 AM
Sharapova d. Bepa 7-5 6-4 :sobbing: :bigcry: :crying2: :tears: :banghead: :help: :o :sad:

She saved a MP on her serve at 3-5 :yeah:

I can't believe that she blew a 40-0* lead in the final game :help:

rrfnpump
Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:35 AM
rather Maria saved the BPs instead of Vera blowing it in the last game, what can you do about two winners and an ace??

Vera didnt play as well as she could have, at the end of the match she started hitting well, but it was a bit too late :sad:

still, she pushed Maria to the limit who served amazing today..

now on to the mixed :p

Foot's Fingers
Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:40 AM
Well it was good match, not the best but good,

It's difficult to beat Maria when she is serving like today and whes she is concentrated like being 0-40 down then no errors

Epigone
Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:42 AM
Match stats

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/6233/bepar423er.jpg

Too many double faults at crucial times, too many unforced errors relative to winners, and 0/3 break points converted in the final game :help:

10/13 break points saved was :worship:

slk45
Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:44 AM
BEPA!! :sobbing: :hug: :smooch:

Bepa played some incredible shots in that match, and she had excellent placement for much of the match. Maria's 8 aces served her well, but Vera was able to intercept a number of potential aces. She lost it a bit after losing the first set, but she recovered pretty well at 2-5. Too bad she couldn't have started the 2nd set like she did the 1st. The frustration was getting to Maria, but just not enough time left.

Cliff Drysdale called her on-the-run extreme cross-court backhand shot for 5-4 "brilliant!" It was amazing.

In any event, a great improvement over last year's result.

BEPA!! :hug: :smooch:

ZIZOUILLE
Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:45 AM
Good tournament Vera :hug:

Foot's Fingers
Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:51 AM
Honestly, i am satisfied with Vera's show at AO

She is back in 4rnd of GS , so will rise in ranking

She really deserved to be near top 10 now and top 10 in future again

hope so

rrfnpump
Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:53 AM
hopefully she has some energy left for the mixed doubles, it didnt seem like she has though :sad:

I would like to ban all those dumb people who :smash: Vera again for her crying, which she actually didnt do :o

Foot's Fingers
Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:54 AM
just have read:

Q. You might have Sharapova in the next round. You played her twice. Didn't get the chance to play her in Moscow. You almost beat her in 2005.

ANNA CHAKVETADZE: Yeah, almost. But I lost. She have to beat Zvonareva first. I think it will be very difficult match today. Zvonareva is playing pretty good here. I mean, they both are tough, so we'll see how it goes.

Seems Anna wants to play vs Vera :)

Epigone
Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:40 AM
rather Maria saved the BPs instead of Vera blowing it in the last game, what can you do about two winners and an ace??I don't think she played a good point at 40-0*...she just floated the ball back to Maria's BH, which led to a forced error

40-15*...nothing she could do there

40-30*...a 2nd serve floated back to Maria's BH, which was punished :help:

I think she should have tried to smack a BH DTL :o, but that's just me :p

That match was painful to watch, and not coz Bepa lost :tape:

I'll just leave it at that :angel:

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:52 AM
Vera had her chances, but she's playing a top 3 player.
I think Vera did well, and now she has some time off.
Now, she has only about 130 points to defend before Birmingham, and I think she should be top 20 by then, maybe top 15.

I never got the feeling Vera was going to win the match, even at 5-5, or when Vera made her 2nd set run.

But she can beat a lot of players, and she will move up the rankings this spring.

Epigone
Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:47 PM
Guccione/Dellacqua d. Bepa/Andy 7-6(1) 6-4 :bigcry: :sobbing: :sad:

Absolutely horrible! :help:

They led *4-3 in the 2nd, but blew it :o

rrfnpump
Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:49 PM
I am really disappointed right now :sad:

AO is over for Vera, 4th round in singles is great, but the rest was :help:

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:52 PM
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/XMEL20401221232.jpg

Russia's Vera Zvonareva reacts during her fourth round match against compatriot Maria Sharapova at the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne, Monday, Jan. 22, 2007. Sharapova won 7-5 6-4. (AP Photo/Rob Griffith)

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/XMEL19301221147.jpg

Russia's Vera Zvonareva walks from the court to replace her racket during her fourth round match against compatriot Maria Sharapova at the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne, Monday, Jan. 22, 2007. Sharapova won 7-5 6-4. (AP Photo/Rick Stevens

Fililander
Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:02 PM
Bad day for Vera:sad: :sad: :sad: . Two losses in one day:fiery: :help: . Overall i am satisfied with her single performance. The rest is a little bit disappointing for me. Why she had to play mixed after her single match:confused: . There was enough time before. Well, good luck in the next tournaments Vera.

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:24 PM
I'm very happy with Vera's singles performance. She beat a top 15 player, and played well against the #1 seed.
Now she can rest her wrists for a few days, and write another diary entry.

Foot's Fingers
Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
lost in mixed :fiery:

but seems no time for rest - crazy schedule cos of Sharapova status - why not to change her match with Kim/Dani f e??? Dani cld play doubles 3rd rnd tomorrow

and + i think all her emotions left in singles match

Foot's Fingers
Jan 22nd, 2007, 02:07 PM
As much as i am satisfied with her single performance, i want to discuss one problem in Vera's game

When she is playing vs top players, she too often is playing too passive on main points

Look at Maria today being down 0-40 - then 3 winners, even Vera allowed it as Epigone thought

F E her serve at first set on 5-5 on gp (if i am right) was an easy task for Masha

Foot's Fingers
Jan 22nd, 2007, 02:13 PM
ti add again - as i was out of internet during week end but was watching a lot of tennis inckuding Vera - Ana

Goog win for Vera!!!! Even Ana was too bad, she used it and was in full control of match

So it was good AO for Miss Zvonaryova!!!

Harju.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 02:24 PM
Bepa :hug:
She should have capitalized on the BPs, but Maria was serving really well. I think it's been a great success from her. Back to top 20, reached 4th round and proved that she can hang in there with top 5 player. If she were in the bottom half, she could have reached the final, no doubt.

Epigone
Jan 22nd, 2007, 03:30 PM
lost in mixed :fiery:

but seems no time for rest - crazy schedule cos of Sharapova status - why not to change her match with Kim/Dani f e??? Dani cld play doubles 3rd rnd tomorrowShe rested for about 90 minutes between matches, but I think she still would have been tired.

I guess the scheduling was done so that they could show Maria at a time that is good for TV or something :shrug:

It was only a problem because of the rain yesterday afternoonand + i think all her emotions left in singles matchPlaying such a huge match (especially since she was fighting very hard) would have left her flat.

Maybe it's a good thing that she won't be playing more matches this week because it will give her a chance to rest. The last thing that I want is for her to withdraw from tournaments due to sore wrists :(

Kipling
Jan 22nd, 2007, 04:09 PM
While I am glad that Maria won, I wouldn't have minded had Vera done so. She is a great player. I said this another thread--I think that Vera, on current form, is one of the ten best best singles players in the world. I have no hard evidence on this point, but she once again, like she always does, just pressed Sharapova pretty hard. At Auckland, it was a coin flip between her and the red-hot Jankovic for almost the entire match. She was the only one to press Clijsters at Hasselt.

Sure, she had a slump. She is clearly out of it now, but her ranking causes some unfortunate early round matchups with the top players. Drawing Hingis in the first round of the AO last year and Clijsters in round one at Wimbledon was just about as bad luck as she could have had. I think, objectively, when you look at her performance over the past year, and particlarly since the USO, she is on the way up again, a hugely talented and very dangerous player. Hope to see better and better results this year.

KV
Jan 22nd, 2007, 04:14 PM
Bepa leaves OZ-Open singles with head up high. Was a very satisfying tournament. :)

Paranoia
Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:39 PM
Honestly, i am satisfied with Vera's show at AO

She is back in 4rnd of GS , so will rise in ranking

She really deserved to be near top 10 now and top 10 in future again

hope so

I agree. I don't think we expected more from Vera with such a draw. She won against Ivanovic and played a good match against Masha, don't forget Masha is the number 1 in the world !!!

Congrats Vera and thank you for the nice shots !!!

pav
Jan 23rd, 2007, 06:12 AM
I've watched some bits of the match again so I could write some insightful things about it (and the mixed muckup) but something I've noticed that is of far greater importance has come up. Do my eyes deceive me,or is Bepa's coach Sam whateverhisname is sporting a bloody mullet?:fiery:

Foot's Fingers
Jan 23rd, 2007, 08:31 AM
Larissa Preobrazhenskaya abt Vera - in last match

— Как вы считаете, психологически Звонарева проигрывала Шараповой в этом матче?
— Как раз напротив! Вера играла невероятно спокойно, намного выдержаннее, чем раньше. Я просто поражалась, как она доставала труднейшие мячи из углов корта. Но у нее совершенно не шла первая подача, и поэтому вместо атаки она была вынуждена уходить в глухую оборону… И все-таки Вера смотрелась замечательно. Несмотря на поражение, у нее сейчас существенный подъем.

She underlines that Vera was very calm for her and becomes more mentally stronger than in previous years But she had problems with first serve so was needed to play in defence

goldenlox
Jan 23rd, 2007, 05:49 PM
I saw a post match comment from Vera, but I can't find a transcript of an interview

Epigone
Jan 23rd, 2007, 08:14 PM
I saw a post match comment from Vera, but I can't find a transcript of an interviewThat's because the AO people are idiots :)

Interviews:
James Blake
Tommy Haas
Na Li
Anna Chakvetadzde
Daniela Hantuchova
Kim Clijsters
Martina Hingis
Fernando Gonzalez
Nikolay Davydenko
Maria Sharapova

Bepa and Patty aren't there :fiery:

~Kiera~
Jan 23rd, 2007, 08:50 PM
They do seem a little light on content, sometimes. I know Vera was speaking on AO radio within the last couple of days, but unfortunately there's no download available for that particular show.

I wish they would upload all of their "Talent Time" segments, too. I'd love to hear Sveta read "Winnie the Pooh" :lol:

goldenlox
Jan 24th, 2007, 08:49 PM
After Wimbledon and the USO last year, I'm disappointed by her results here.
Except for singles, the most important thing. Vera's singles is very good now.

Epigone
Jan 25th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Except for singles, the most important thing. Vera's singles is very good now.Bepa's net game has been :help: lately and I think that it's affecting her doubles results :o

pav
Jan 25th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Bepa's net game has been :help: lately and I think that it's affecting her doubles results :o
She did have a couple of good volleys in the first, or second game. At least Bepa and Chaky put up a better scrap against the Masha than AntipodeanKimmy,but I'm still dissapointed that she just seemed to back off in a couple of important games when she was up 5/4 in the first was one :sad:

slk45
Jan 25th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Epigone,

Here's a story for you to pass the time until Bepa's playing again:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/features/travelnews/sns-trvmain1-wk2,0,1944679.story

~Kiera~
Jan 25th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Vera is on the entry list for Indian Wells. Top 8 seeds are Sharapova, Petrova, Hingis, Dementieva, Safina, Vaidisova, Chakvetadze and Ivanovic.

goldenlox
Jan 26th, 2007, 03:47 AM
Vera played very well in Melbourne. The more I think about it, the more I like it :banana:http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/bananas/047.gif

It's time for Vera to be a force on the tour again. Olympics are in a year and a half. Vera can be in the race for a singles spot, and a doubles spot.

Foot's Fingers
Jan 26th, 2007, 07:37 AM
io am thinking now that Vera should give up Dechy

ANz
Jan 26th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Приезд в Японию (25 января)
Оригинал (не перевод)

Всем Приветик!
Наконец-то у меня появилась возможность войти в интернет. За последние три недели у меня никак не получалось проверить даже свой е-мэйл. В "Players Lounge" всегда очень длинные очереди, особенно на турнирах Большого Шлема, а в номере обычно хочется просто отдохнуть и ничем не заниматься Так что пишу вам при первой возможности
Я сегодня утром только прилетела в Токио. Перелёт был 11 часов с посадкой в Сиднее. Не очень долго, но я всё равно считаю себя очень уставшей. Наверное, ещё сказывается то, что я приболела в Мельбурне и в последние 4 дня у меня был сильный кашель. Но я надеюсь, что поправлюсь как можно быстрее !!! Я ещё ни разу не играла этот турнир в Токио, так что мне будет интересно сыграть здесь первый раз. Вообще, мне нравится Япония, несмотря на то , что все остальные азиатские страны я не очень люблю. Меня всё ещё немного беспокоит травма кисти, так что последний день в Aвстралии пришлось побегать по врачам, пособирать советов. Но, надеюсь, всё будет нормально !!! Bообще в этом году мне ни разу не удалось выбраться в центр Мельбурна, каждый день был занят тренировками и матчами Но это даже хорошо Несмотря ни на что, я пробилась в 4-й круг, ведь в прошлом году я не смогла пройти дальше 3-го круга на турнирах Большого Шлема. так что я довольна Но есть много над чем работать... Как обычно Но ведь так даже интереснее Здесь уже 8 часов и мне спать хочется, так что я пойду почитаю немного и спать Скоро увидимся Пока...
http://www.wtatour.ru/index.php?showtopic=10092&pid=465579&st=20&

In short. Vera is in Tokio. She did not havr=e easy access to the Internet in Melbrune. She spent 11 hours on the plane to Tokio an fill tired. She has strong cogh for last 4 days (posted on 25th) and has to visit doctors. Her wrist is still bothering her. She is happy with the result at AO in compare with last year when her best result was 3r. She understands that she has a lot of things to work on.

Foot's Fingers
Jan 26th, 2007, 09:43 AM
more from Vera posts : She dislike Asian countries except Japan

:tape:

Epigone
Jan 26th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Epigone,

Here's a story for you to pass the time until Bepa's playing again:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/features/travelnews/sns-trvmain1-wk2,0,1944679.storyThanks! It was an interesting read :D

That's something that I should do one day :o

In the spirit of giving, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrbZlqvtgIc) is for pav :pio am thinking now that Vera should give up DechyI agree :o

daniela86
Jan 26th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I agree :o

So do I.They won the Us Open together and made the QFs in France but they don't play often together :o and Vera can't qualify for the YEC if she doesn't have a permanent partner.I have the feeling that she and Dechy are just partners and not great friends.IMO Vera should play doubles with a friend like a Russian player:p. Now that Vesnina decided to play with Lena L,I think Vera should team up with Chaky:p That would be very cool :D
Still,I'm very very satisfied of Vera's performance :yeah: She did great in single which is the most important thing.

Anyway,thanks for translating the interview Anz :yeah: Poor Vera is sick :sad: :awww: :awww: :hug: Hope she will be better and ready for Tokyo :bounce: This wrist is really annoying me :mad: :mad:

Epigone
Jan 26th, 2007, 03:29 PM
http://www.wtatour.ru/index.php?showtopic=10092&pid=465579&st=20&

In short. Vera is in Tokio. She did not havr=e easy access to the Internet in Melbrune. She spent 11 hours on the plane to Tokio an fill tired. She has strong cogh for last 4 days (posted on 25th) and has to visit doctors. Her wrist is still bothering her. She is happy with the result at AO in compare with last year when her best result was 3r. She understands that she has a lot of things to work on.Спасибо :worship:more from Vera posts : She dislike Asian countries except Japan

:tape:Вообще, мне нравится Япония, несмотря на то , что все остальные азиатские страны я не очень люблю:haha:What's your favourite city?
Zvonareva: "Beijing's a lot like my hometown, Moscow-great hotels, great place for an event. It was also fun in Beijing to go and this market and buy a fake rolex watch"link (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=5777198&postcount=7698)

Bepa can be sooo :silly: sometimes :tape:

daniela86
Jan 26th, 2007, 03:33 PM

I adore this part of her personnality :yeah: :drool: She is a fun girl :D

Foot's Fingers
Jan 26th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Спасибо :worship::haha:link (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=5777198&postcount=7698)

that's why i put :tape:

I remember she said she likes China

and as usual she prefers to play in Asia Region

Epigone
Jan 26th, 2007, 05:24 PM
that's why i put :tape:Ah :p

It reminds me of my favourite Bepa contradiction :o

Bepa in an old interview - Есть теннисистка в WTA Tour, которой вы готовы подражать?

- Подражать вряд ли стоит, но мне нравится, как играет Мартина Хингис. А кумир в теннисе у тебя есть?

– Мартина Хингис. Мне нравится ее игра. Точнее, нравилась, она ведь ушла из спорта и теперь часто комментирует матчи WTA-Тура. Я с ней встречалась несколько раз, мы общались. У меня остались очень приятные впечатления от наших бесед.However, saaber posted this on the Russian board after Bepa lost to Martina at the AO last yearВера Звонарева в шоке. После матча она призналась, что не знала как игрет Хингис. Она никогда не видела игру Мартины даже по тв и была потрясена.:help: :bolt:

goldenlox
Jan 26th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Tokyo is a fairly weak field for a Tier I. If she can get over the jet lag, and the cough, she might do well there.
Vera, buy your own laptop :wavey:

ANz
Jan 26th, 2007, 08:23 PM
I believe, she has a laptop. I read that Lex gifted her one a while ago.

goldenlox
Jan 26th, 2007, 08:44 PM
If she has a laptop, she should at least read her e-mail, and write a quick few words in her diary.
I understand that when she gets to her room, she's tired. But it isn't hard work to turn on your computer.

slk45
Jan 27th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Bepa told me in Amelia Island that she hardly ever goes on her email. :scratch: :shrug: