PDA

View Full Version : Vera Zvonareva rise to the top thread !!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

rrfnpump
Aug 25th, 2006, 07:34 PM
according to ESPN Venus has withdrawn from the USOpen which means Vera is #33 seeded now and moves into her place of the draw
First round against Domachowska... in second round Benesova or Craybas and in third round Lena D :(

cant say that this is a better draw :shrug:

pav
Aug 25th, 2006, 09:00 PM
That's what I was just thinking,She gets a reasonable draw for once, and now a change, not necessarily for the better :confused:

It's a bit like the ewes who have triplets but having two teats do you take one little bugger off her and feed it,or leave them alone? A serious national issue over here,sometimes I think it is better not to look until lambing is over(but I'm a lazy shit)

slk45
Aug 26th, 2006, 01:23 AM
:mad: :awww: NO, NO, NO!! Not Lena & Bepa in the 3R!!

:fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

Epigone
Aug 26th, 2006, 03:37 PM
according to ESPN Venus has withdrawn from the USOpen which means Vera is #33 seeded now and moves into her place of the draw
First round against Domachowska... in second round Benesova or Craybas and in third round Lena D :(

cant say that this is a better draw :shrug:I'm not worried about it :)

She needs to make up for that 4th round meltdown against Lena D in 2004 :banghead:

:crying2: when leading 5-1 in the 1st set was simply :help:

Then there were reports of her sitting on the floor in the corridor to the locker room and :sobbing: while Lex was a bit :shout: at her

If she is more positive about her tennis now, I don't see why she can't get the job done this time :shrug:

Show no fear! :cool:

goldenlox
Aug 26th, 2006, 04:58 PM
This draw is about the same as the old one.
But I would prefer Vera play Hingis than Lena.

nick_chicane
Aug 26th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Its sets up perfectly for revenge! Vera still owes us all for her shocking behaviour that day!

slk45
Aug 27th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Now there is a chance Lindsay might withdraw before Monday. Lindsay is the #10 seed, which calls for a bit of shuffling if the #10 seed pulls out.

So, what happens? Would Vera follow that set of rules because Lindsay had a higher seed than Venus (#30) and Vera was the first in line to be seeded?

Or will it be based on chronological order, i.e., according to which seed dropped out first? Seems to me the former should be the case, i.e., Vera should follow the switching for Lindsay's withdrawal.

What that would mean is Vera would end up at the #25 spot, which is Medina-Garrigues' slot. That puts her back to meeting Hingis in the 4R, with a possible meet with Safina in the QF. I consider meeting Hingis in the 4R better than meeting Dementieva in the 3R. At least that's the beginning of the 2nd week.

The above procedure would be followed for a seed withdrawal "prior to the release of the schedule of play, the day preceding the start of play in that event". A different procedure is followed if the withdrawal is "after the release of the schedule of play, the day preceding the start of the event". I have no idea what the part in bold means. The schedule of play for Monday is now on the US Open website. We are 2 days prior to the start of the event.

Lindsay could wait until Monday to withdraw, in which case Vera could replace her directly. Assuming she takes the higher seeded vacancy.

Or nothing could change at all. :rolleyes:

GO BEPA!! :bounce: :bounce:

nick_chicane
Aug 27th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Confusing hey SLK! :lol:

slk45
Aug 27th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Confusing hey SLK! :lol:
The wonders of the WTA rulebook! :) I think some of the rules were written by IRS attorneys.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 27th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Now there is a chance Lindsay might withdraw before Monday. Lindsay is the #10 seed, which calls for a bit of shuffling if the #10 seed pulls out.

So, what happens? Would Vera follow that set of rules because Lindsay had a higher seed than Venus (#30) and Vera was the first in line to be seeded?

Or will it be based on chronological order, i.e., according to which seed dropped out first? Seems to me the former should be the case, i.e., Vera should follow the switching for Lindsay's withdrawal.

What that would mean is Vera would end up at the #25 spot, which is Medina-Garrigues' slot. That puts her back to meeting Hingis in the 4R, with a possible meet with Safina in the QF. I consider meeting Hingis in the 4R better than meeting Dementieva in the 3R. At least that's the beginning of the 2nd week.

The above procedure would be followed for a seed withdrawal "prior to the release of the schedule of play, the day preceding the start of play in that event". A different procedure is followed if the withdrawal is "after the release of the schedule of play, the day preceding the start of the event". I have no idea what the part in bold means. The schedule of play for Monday is now on the US Open website. We are 2 days prior to the start of the event.

Lindsay could wait until Monday to withdraw, in which case Vera could replace her directly. Assuming she takes the higher seeded vacancy.

Or nothing could change at all. :rolleyes:

nothing like that happens.

if Lindsay does withdraw now, a LL comes into her place.

even if Lindsay had withdrawn yesterday, then the 13th seed wouldhave replaced LD, 17th seed replaced seed 13 and seed 25 replaced #17, and a new #34 seed would have come into 25 seed spot.

anyways, Vera's section looks ok for week 1 :)
just hope she can get back into singles groove again ;) :D
a shame she had to miss last 2 weeks but she's back :bounce:

Sweep
Aug 27th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Good luck Vera in the US Open. I think she has a good chance of progressing to the third round at least, fingers crossed.

One match at a time, but I believe she can do well here. :D

slk45
Aug 27th, 2006, 09:09 PM
nothing like that happens.

if Lindsay does withdraw now, a LL comes into her place.

even if Lindsay had withdrawn yesterday, then the 13th seed wouldhave replaced LD, 17th seed replaced seed 13 and seed 25 replaced #17, and a new #34 seed would have come into 25 seed spot.So you're saying the seeds are replaced chronologically, according to when they withdraw, rather than according to the rank of possible replacements (other than the LL rule). I think that's a bad situation, as it would permit collusion or manipulation where it is known that 2 or more players plan on withdrawing. Not really that likely, but still possible.

I think the highest ranked replacement seed should replace the highest seeded withdrawal, where there are 2 or more w/d's. Unless the withdrawal occurs on the first day play begins.

Epigone
Aug 27th, 2006, 10:39 PM
In doubles, it looks like Bepa/Nathalie vs Kanepi/Navratilova, followed by Hantuchova/Sugiyama :rolleyes:

zvonareva14
Aug 28th, 2006, 04:12 AM
I happen to like her section of the draw a lot! I think if she were to get to the third round, play Elena and beat her she would play Stosur in the 4th round rather then Groenefeld because Stosur is playing well enough to beat her right now. And I think Vera would much rather play Stosur then Groenefeld for psychological reasons and I believe she would beat her and then in the quarters i'm predicting Vaidisova beating Kuznetsova in the 4th round and then Vera beating Vaidisova because she has before impressively. Maybe this is all just wishful thinking but none the less GOOOOO VERAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

nick_chicane
Aug 28th, 2006, 09:26 AM
I dont really care about the Doubles, i dont see Dechy as a good partner for Vera so dont see them going far at all! Its the mixed doubles i'll be paying attention to! I hope we get to see some of their matches cause Vera plays some very special tennis when she has Andy by her side! :)

As for singles, lets not get carried away so lets concentrate on making sure Vera get passed Marta Domachowska first.

Munich
Aug 28th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Davai Bepa :dance:

Harju.
Aug 28th, 2006, 03:30 PM
If she can get by Dementieva in the 3rd round, she has a big chance to reach SF. :worship:

Allez Bepa!

goldenlox
Aug 28th, 2006, 04:58 PM
It's a decent draw. Lets see what she does.
Vera has never played her best in a major

slk45
Aug 28th, 2006, 06:39 PM
GO BEPA!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

slk45
Aug 28th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Vera takes 1st set TB 7-4!! :banana:

KEEP IT GOING, BEPA!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

zvonareva14
Aug 28th, 2006, 07:38 PM
VERA WON!!!! 7-6(4) 6-3!!! THAT'S IT VERA GET IT ROLLING AGAIN!!! AND FIRST SECOND ROUND AT A MAJOR THIS YEAR!!! YEAAAAAAA VERAAAA!!!! :worship: :) :D :cool: ;) :bounce: :drool: :hearts:

rrfnpump
Aug 28th, 2006, 07:41 PM
that was a rusty start :help:
but a win is a win :) ... now against Craybas

nick_chicane
Aug 28th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Yeah, solid win! Tougher than i thought it would be!

Im just waiting for Dementieva's match now so i can cheer on Laura Granville! It would be nice to not have to worry about her in the 3rd round! :lol:

Good start for Vera though! :)

I do think Craybas will be tough though! Jill is very hot and cold, she is either good or hopeless!

slk45
Aug 28th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Nice win, Bepa!! :hug: :smooch:

:banana: :bounce: :banana:

Unfortunately, no stats on the website. Needless to say, no tv coverage.
Just a few minutes ago, they cut to Serena and Maria on the practice courts.
Never occurs to the geniuses directing coverage that they could show us match point at least. ESPN2 and USA network must share producers and directors.

And Tracy Austin was pathetic this morning.

Grimace and bear it, I guess.

Jill had a handy win 2 & 0 over Benesova!! She won't be a pushover.

Epigone
Aug 28th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Having to endure another TB was :unsure:, but it ended nicely :yeah:

Now I'm reminded of Miami 2004 for some reason :banghead:

Women's Look Forward: The U. S. Open (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=258786) says that Bepa should expect a long match with Craybas and it it will be interesting to see if that affects her for her third round against Dementieva.

So much to think about :p

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 28th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Vera :yeah: 1st slam win of yr ;) :D
should solidify her top 30 pos and now she's gonna be on way back to top 20 ;) :D

zvonareva14
Aug 29th, 2006, 02:53 AM
If Vera focuses and places solid during the Craybas match she should be fine let's just hope Craybas has one of her typical not so great matches and Vera cruises through! :D

pav
Aug 29th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Who has the worst record? :tape:

By Douglas Robson, special for USA TODAY
NEW YORK — At No. 43 in the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour rankings, Lucie Safarova isn't accustomed to being the best. But in the unofficial instant replay statistics, the left-hander from the Czech Republic is No. 1.
Following the US Open Series, Safarova leads the women's tour with a 4-0 record questioning calls under the sport's new electronic line-calling challenge system.

"Maybe I have a good eye," says the 19-year-old from Brno who defeated Samantha Stosur of Australia 6-2, 7-6 (7-5) on Monday. No, she laughed, eyewear companies have not yet approached her for a sponsorship deal.

On the other end of the spectrum is Vera Zvonareva. The 34th-ranked Russian has failed to reverse a call in eight attempts, the worst record among players with more than three challenges.

"Why not take my chances?" says Zvonareva, who advanced to the second round by ousting Marta Domachowska of Poland and admits she tried the Hawk-Eye technology several times "just for fun."

Introduced at the Nasdaq-100 in March, electronic line calling had its first extended run during the six-week US Open Series this summer. It made its Grand Slam debut Monday at the U.S. Open, where it's being used at Arthur Ashe and Louis Armstrong stadiums.

The USA's Mardy Fish completed the first — and unsuccessful — challenge in a major in the third set of his 6-4, 6-4, 1-6, 6-3 win against Germany's Simon Greul.

"It was close," Fish says.

Unlike the sport's last major innovation, the tiebreaker in the early 1970s, instant replay has been quickly and almost universally embraced by fans, players and officials.

"It's been an unequivocal success," TV commentator and U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe says.

Technically, of course, no individual challenge rankings exist. But the emerging numbers show signs that some players are more adept than others at seeing their own shots. Other notable trends:

• Younger pros tend to question more than veterans. For instance, 36-year-old Andre Agassi (0-2) has challenged twice in four matches, a rate of .5, and 23-year-old Andy Roddick (8-12) has questioned at a rate of 1.53 in 13 contests.

• Players appeared to grow more comfortable, challenging more frequently and accurately over the course of the series.

• Men question calls more frequently than women, averaging 3.15 challenges per match vs. 2.30.

• Overall, players have performed poorly considering the amount of noise they have made for decades about missed calls. Women have challenged correctly in 126 out of 350 cases. The men have done better, overturning calls in 201 of 489 challenges. Together, male and female players have challenged correctly 39% of the time.

Many players say their personal stats are skewed by throwaway challenges, those done merely to test the new system or at the end of sets when they have leftover challenges to burn (each player gets two per set and one per tiebreak).

"The stats I think are totally wrong anyway, because usually you save them toward the end of the set and then you might as well just challenge for the hell of it," says Roger Federer, 3-5 in challenges.

No. 2 Rafael Nadal, who owns one of the better challenge records at 3-1, says the one challenge he got wrong in a loss this month to fellow Spaniard Juan Carlos Ferrero was a long shot. In general, he only challenges when he's sure he's correct, he says.

Depending on one's perspective, the stats demonstrate the ongoing deficiency of the human eye to call balls routinely traveling 130 mph or the poor perceptions players have of their own shots. If 39% of their calls are overturned, is that good or bad?

Then again, linesmen typically call about 200 balls a match.

Serena Williams was on the receiving end of a blatantly bad call in a quarterfinal loss to Jennifer Capriati at the 2004 U.S. Open that provided much of the impetus for a replay system. Still, the number of incorrect challenges doesn't take her aback.

"I wouldn't be surprised if, like, a lot of the players, both men and women, got it wrong, because sometimes you would think the ball's in and it's not, and then sometimes you have to challenge just because ... it would be a good chance to challenge," says the two-time U.S. Open champ, who is unseeded this year.

Since men hit with more power, it stands to reason that they might be more successful than women in overturning calls. Their shots travel faster and are tougher for the human eye to track.

ESPN commentator Pam Shriver has another theory for the discrepancy: "The women question more on emotion rather than on the hard fact."

One downside, some players say, is that umpires are less inclined to overrule calls, relying instead on players to challenge.

Some players are having fun with the results. Alicia Molik, who is 5-1 in challenges, enjoys ribbing fellow Australian Nicole Pratt about her 0-7 mark. "I tell her she's getting older and her eyes are getting bad," jokes Molik, who lost her first-round match Monday to Vania King of the USA 6-3, 6-2.

Even if there aren't rankings, players are becoming increasingly attentive to the stats.

"Players are aware of the ones who abuse the system a little much," says veteran American Lisa Raymond.

Posted 8/29/2006 12:52 AM ET Updated 8/29/2006 1:39 AM ET

Munich
Aug 29th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Go Bepa go :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

rrfnpump
Aug 29th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Who has the worst record? :tape:

oh Vera :help: :rolls: ;)

Epigone
Aug 29th, 2006, 01:26 PM
"Why not take my chances?" says Zvonareva, who advanced to the second round by ousting Marta Domachowska of Poland and admits she tried the Hawk-Eye technology several times "just for fun."That is just too :tape: :spit: :haha:

Foot's Fingers
Aug 29th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Mmmmmmmmm Vera

1st win on GS :kiss:

Go now!!!

Honesly i prefer first draw more (vs AMG)

And i think that AMG is in more favour now - playing vs LL/Q and with Pennetta withdrew

Foot's Fingers
Aug 29th, 2006, 01:28 PM
PS it was interesting to read what's happend with Vera in July-August :)

Epigone
Aug 29th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Zhenya :wavey:

It's nice to see you back and ready to cheer for Bepa :D

Things have been pretty quiet while she was injured, but now she's back :cool:

You must be pleased that Nastya won her opening match ;)

Foot's Fingers
Aug 29th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Zhenya :wavey:

It's nice to see you back and ready to cheer for Bepa :D

Things have been pretty quiet while she was injured, but now she's back :cool:

You must be pleased that Nastya won her opening match ;)

Thnks :) I was following just results - abt once in a week No news no reading abt tenniss No TV ...Qute strange for me :angel:

Hope my support will bring Vera back to top 20 till the end of the year :) :cool:

KV
Aug 29th, 2006, 04:16 PM
After her wrist injury Bepa returns with straight sets win in first round of US-Open

Harju.
Aug 29th, 2006, 04:18 PM
LOL Bepa. :lol:

Great job considering it's her first match since Stanford. :D

zvonareva14
Aug 30th, 2006, 03:18 AM
HAHAHA! I had a feeling anyways she may not be doing to well as she often argues about line calls and probably gets a little carried away with this technology sometimes. It's ok Vera your bound to get one sooner or later! :lol:

Daniel
Aug 30th, 2006, 03:35 AM
Well done Vera :)

Good luck in the next round ;)

Epigone
Aug 30th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Lisa Raymond USA (1) / Jonas Bjorkman SWE (1)
vs.
Michaella Krajicek NED / Lukas Dlouhy CZE

Anabel Medina Garrigues ESP / Sebastian Prieto ARG
vs.
Vera Zvonareva RUS / Andy Ram ISR

Jill Craybas USA / Scoville Jenkins USA
vs.
Virginia Ruano Pascual ESP / Martin Garcia ARG

Kveta Peschke CZE / Martin Damm CZE
vs.
Elena Likhovtseva RUS (7) / Daniel Nestor CAN (7)

Samantha Stosur AUS (3) / Leander Paes IND (3)
vs.
Victoria Azarenka BLR / Max Mirnyi BLR

Shenay Perry USA / Amer Delic USA
vs.
Nicole Pratt AUS / Paul Hanley AUS

Ashley Weinhold USA / Donald Young USA
vs.
Nathalie Dechy FRA / Fabrice Santoro FRA

Jamea Jackson USA / Jesse Levine USA
vs.
Cara Black ZIM (8) / Simon Aspelin SWE (8)

Katarina Srebotnik SLO (6) / Nenad Zimonjic SCG (6)
vs.
Sania Mirza IND / Pavel Vizner CZE

Meghann Shaughnessy USA / Justin Gimelstob USA
vs.
Francesca Schiavone ITA / Jim Thomas USA

Vania King USA / Vincent Spadea USA
vs.
Na Li CHN / Cyril Suk CZE

Liezel Huber RSA / Leos Friedl CZE
vs.
Zi Yan CHN (4) / Todd Perry AUS (4)

Martina Navratilova USA (5) / Bob Bryan USA (5)
vs.
Corina Morariu USA / Mike Bryan USA

Lucie Safarova CZE / Tomas Berdych CZE
vs.
Anastasia Myskina RUS / Jurgen Melzer AUT

Anastassia Rodionova RUS / Kevin Ullyett ZIM
vs.
Paola Suarez ARG / Mahesh Bhupathi IND

Anna-Lena Groenefeld GER / Frantisek Cermak CZE
vs.
Rennae Stubbs AUS (2) / Mark Knowles BAH (2)

Meh :shrug:

Foot's Fingers
Aug 30th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Sometimes i don't understand mixed seeds :confused:

Not easy draw but possiable

Due to rain, Vera has day off today Seems all 2nd rnd matches will be playied tomorow

rrfnpump
Aug 30th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Wimbledon champs not seeded :help: :o

anyways good luck to them :rocker2:

nick_chicane
Aug 30th, 2006, 12:29 PM
How on earth are they not seeded? Thats like not seeding Roger Federer! :(

You cant not seed the team that just won the lasy Grand Slam! Let me guess, do all the seeded players have an American playing in them? :confused:

Yet players like Serena Williams get a wild card into the singles draw just because shes a big name! STUFF THAT! I say make her qualify!

Every player has injuries, its just an unfortunate fact of playing tennis week in, week out. Im sure if Vera slipped outside the Top 100, she wouldnt get a wild card. The rule should apply to everyone. She should be made to qualify like 90% of the draw would have to! :(

andrewbroad
Aug 30th, 2006, 12:58 PM
It's only right that former champions should get wild cards.

I don't care whether Bepa and Andy are unseeded or seeded #1 in the mixed doubles. They have what it takes to win the title, so they must be prepared to beat anyone in the draw at any stage.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/zvona/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/zvona/)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/verazvonareva/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/verazvonareva/)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/)

Sweep
Aug 30th, 2006, 02:02 PM

I don't care whether Bepa and Andy are unseeded or seeded #1 in the mixed doubles. They have what it takes to win the title, so they must be prepared to beat anyone in the draw at any stage.

Too true. They did it at Wimbledon, there's every chance they're gonna do it here. Bjorkman/Raymond will be a tough second round match, but I have faith in Vera and Andy.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 30th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Vera isnt entered Moscow :eek: ?????????
she would have got into field as well :( :(

rrfnpump
Aug 30th, 2006, 02:24 PM

hmmm, and she has some points to defend there
strange decision, maybe she forgot to enter :shrug:

Foot's Fingers
Aug 30th, 2006, 02:52 PM

ohhh no

i am planning to arrive for KC this year :sad:

Harju.
Aug 30th, 2006, 03:19 PM
I get the feeling Bepa will play the Asian tourneys. :shrug:
Hope I'm wrong though.

Bepa/Rum :drink:.

Bob vs Mike :devil:
That's what you get for dumping Bepa :rolls:

Epigone
Aug 30th, 2006, 03:20 PM
she would have got into field as well :( :(A very odd decision :scratch:

nick_chicane
Aug 30th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Well i dont buy that! Whether your a former champion or not, you should have to work to get into Majors. That means that if Serena chose, she could play no matches all year long as she would always get a wild card into the Grand Slams. Thats just stupid!

Theirs players outside the Top 100 who work hard to even get a chance to qualify, they deserve a spot in the draw more than someone who barely played all year.

As for Moscow, it is strange that she would overlook her home tournament. I really cant see how she would have forgotten about it. You dont forget about a tournament which gives you a chance to go home.

goldenlox
Aug 30th, 2006, 04:55 PM
On the other end of the spectrum is Vera Zvonareva. The 34th-ranked Russian has failed to reverse a call in eight attempts, the worst record among players with more than three challenges. "Why not take my chances?" says Zvonareva, who advanced to the second round by ousting Marta Domachowska of Poland and admits she tried the Hawk-Eye technology several times "just for fun."

zvonareva14
Aug 31st, 2006, 02:42 AM
If Serena didn't get a wild card I would consider that ridiculous! It's her home grandslam! She plays far better then her ranking and has struggled with a lot of injuries and I believe she is starting to care about her tennis more and she is a 2 time champion at the US Open so she is a pretty good pick for a wildcard i'd say.

Foot's Fingers
Aug 31st, 2006, 09:00 AM
Vera Zvonareva (RUS)[33] vs. Jill Craybas (USA) Match #3 on court # 6

Go Vera!!!

Foot's Fingers
Aug 31st, 2006, 09:01 AM
Mixed Doubles - 1st Rnd.
Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP)/
Sebastian Prieto (ARG)
vs. Vera Zvonareva (RUS)/
Andy Ram (ISR)

last match on court 13

Foot's Fingers
Aug 31st, 2006, 09:02 AM
Vera lost to Jill theirs only one match 2 years ago in Miami when she was in top 15

time for revenge

KV
Aug 31st, 2006, 02:51 PM
Good luck vs. Jill. Keep up your current form though it won't be easy vs. Jill. Bepa remains the fav. to win.
Not entered Moscow strange.

slk45
Aug 31st, 2006, 04:52 PM
Good luck today, Vera!! You can do it!

nick_chicane
Aug 31st, 2006, 08:59 PM
If Serena didn't get a wild card I would consider that ridiculous! It's her home grandslam! She plays far better then her ranking and has struggled with a lot of injuries and I believe she is starting to care about her tennis more and she is a 2 time champion at the US Open so she is a pretty good pick for a wildcard i'd say.

Serena's played 14 matches all year! Why should that warrant a wild card more than someone thats plays all the time and fights really hard to try and get into the top 100! Yes, Serena might be a 2 time champion but thats in the past now! Im talking present day! She isnt the force she used to be, anymore!

I'd rather see someone get a wild card thats actually earned it!

Anyway, good luck Vera! If she wins, its Dementieva next! :confused:

Epigone
Aug 31st, 2006, 09:50 PM
Bepa d. Jill Craybas 6-3 7-5 :bounce: :dance: :worship:

She led 5-1 in the first before breaking for the set at 5-3, and also faced BPx2 at 4-4 :scared:

Then she had 40-0* at 6-5 in the 2nd, but blew them all :help: before finally converting MP#4 :yeah:

rrfnpump
Aug 31st, 2006, 09:52 PM
phew, that was a struggle :) :p
into the third round of a slam again!!

now against Lena D who is mighty impressive this tournament
hopefully I will get to see some bits of that match :D

good luck in mixed later

nick_chicane
Aug 31st, 2006, 09:56 PM
That was a struggle!

Im looking forward to the match with Dementieva! She maybe playing well but Vera doesnt look too shabby either! Should be on a main court too meaning i will get to see it! :)

CooCooCachoo
Aug 31st, 2006, 10:08 PM
Congrats Basti :ras:

Epigone
Aug 31st, 2006, 10:47 PM
Mixed Doubles - 1st Rnd.
Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP)/
Sebastian Prieto (ARG)
vs. Vera Zvonareva (RUS)/
Andy Ram (ISR)

last match on court 13This match is no longer on the schedule of play (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/schedule10.html) :scratch:

I guess it's been postponed until tomorrow :shrug:

Epigone
Sep 1st, 2006, 01:09 AM
OOP for Friday
Grandstand 11:00 AM
1. Men's Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Carlos Moya (ESP) vs. Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA)
followed by
2. Men's Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Alessio Di Mauro (ITA) vs. Andy Murray (GBR)[17]
3. Women's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Vera Zvonareva (RUS)[33] vs.Elena Dementieva (RUS)[4]

Court 6 11:00 AM
1. Women's Doubles - 1st Rnd.
Amy Frazier (USA)/Vania King (USA)vs. Alina Jidkova (RUS)/Anna Smashnova (ISR)
followed by
2. Men's Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Lukasz Kubot (POL)vs. Noam Okun (ISR)
3. Women's Doubles - 1st Rnd.
Tsvetana Pironkova (BUL)/Meng Yuan (CHN)vs. Anna-Lena Groenefeld (GER)[5]/Meghann Shaughnessy (USA)[5]
4. Women's Doubles - 1st Rnd.
Emilie Loit (FRA)[16]/Nicole Pratt (AUS)[16]vs. Laura Granville (USA)/Carly Gullickson (USA)
5. Women's Doubles - 1st Rnd.
Kaia Kanepi (EST)/Gabriela Navratilova (CZE)vs. Nathalie Dechy (FRA)/Vera Zvonareva (RUS)

Epigone
Sep 1st, 2006, 01:55 AM
Matt (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2006-08-31/200608301157000043671.html) Cronin's picks for Day 4
33- VERA ZVONAREVA V. JILL CRAYBAS U.S. veteran Craybas has been the most consistent American woman this year, and that saying something. No, she’s not a threat to win the title here, but it’s nice to see a player peaking in her 30s, and that’s exactly what this all-courter has done. Craybas is a bright player who competes very hard, and while she doesn’t have the power of the Williams sisters or Lindsay Davenport, she makes the most of tools. That’s something to be proud of.

However, that doesn’t mean that she’ll take down Zvonareva, who has finally regained her stride this summer and is looking all the part of the Russian backboard who once cracked the top 10. She’s still fragile mentally and prone to bouts of mid-match tears, but she’s fast, relentless and determined, and when she’s feeling right like she was in winning Cincinnati, she’s a threat to anyone outside of the top three. Craybas will give her all she can handle, but Zvonareva will take her apart in three sets.:p

zvonareva14
Sep 1st, 2006, 02:18 AM
YES! Great win Vera! Now Dementieva... it won't be easy but I think Vera will win this match I can feel it! :worship: ;)

slk45
Sep 1st, 2006, 02:26 AM
BEPA!!! :hug: :smooch: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Good job, Vera. Keep it going now.

The next match is a tough one for me. Both my girls!! What can I do? :o :confused:

Good luck, Vera! :kiss:
Good luck, Lena! :kiss:
I'm with you no matter what.

nick_chicane
Sep 1st, 2006, 07:48 AM
Oh, 2 days in a row! Shame Dementieva couldnt have had a longer 2nd round match!

Totally nothing to do with Vera but im so glad Agassi won last night! True legend, hope he can go deep into the tournament before he retires!

Foot's Fingers
Sep 1st, 2006, 08:31 AM
Congrats Vera!!!

A little stuggeling but she have not fall apart and was managed to close the match :)

Foot's Fingers
Sep 1st, 2006, 08:38 AM
This match is no longer on the schedule of play (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/schedule10.html) :scratch:

I guess it's been postponed until tomorrow :shrug:

last night i saw this as well

but then have check mixed draw on site :

Unfortunatly:

http://img309.imageshack.us/img309/7275/drawtf2.jpg

totally unexpectied

ayusania
Sep 1st, 2006, 08:39 AM
vera rox!!!!

Epigone
Sep 1st, 2006, 09:37 AM
last night i saw this as well

but then have check mixed draw on site :

totally unexpectied:speakles:

Very disappointing :sobbing:

However, a win over Lena D. will make me forget about it :angel:

rrfnpump
Sep 1st, 2006, 09:44 AM
losing to mixed to Anabel is horrible :o :o :o :o
wow, so disappointing :(

thanks, Tijn :p

Foot's Fingers
Sep 1st, 2006, 09:49 AM
only one explanation : Andy was playing without rest afre men's doubles match

Decision: Stupied schedule

Foot's Fingers
Sep 1st, 2006, 10:58 AM
Just have read interview in Russsian

Lena Dementieva said she thinks She and Vera are one of the fit players on this moment She is waiting for tough match

KV
Sep 1st, 2006, 11:25 AM
Great Bepa vs. Lena it"ll be tough. The good news Bepa won't have to worry about being seeded at the GS's for some time. As well Bepa's closing the gap on the top 25. Let's hope she's an injury free part of the remaining season. Everything is fine who"ll win think on current form Lena's the edge. Though hope Vera wins cause she needs the points more.

goldenlox
Sep 1st, 2006, 03:48 PM
Vera would have been better off in Hingis' section.
This is a tough match

nick_chicane
Sep 1st, 2006, 05:21 PM
I cant believe their out of the mixed doubles tournament! :sad:

That really sucks! :sad:

slk45
Sep 1st, 2006, 05:56 PM
Unfortunately, I will be on the road today and won't be able to follow the match. I'm taping the whole day; I hope they show a point or two!!

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 1st, 2006, 07:54 PM
good news regarding Moscow

Vera has entered today and she's now 1st into MD if any pullouts

nick_chicane
Sep 1st, 2006, 09:30 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else feel really annoyed right now! Vera is 4-5 down with a break and she breaks back to 5-5, then after all that good work, she drops her next service game and then loses the set 7-5!

That really annoys me! :fiery:

And now shes having a good old cry into her towel! God, i hope were not gonna see another 2004 here! :fiery:

Im as big a Vera fan as anyone but i hate it when she starts crying! She loses all focus and her performance drops drastically!

Epigone
Sep 1st, 2006, 09:47 PM
I'm glad I'm not watching it :o

Let's hope she can fight back :)

Paranoia
Sep 1st, 2006, 09:50 PM
Where can we follow the match?

Epigone
Sep 1st, 2006, 10:07 PM
Elena Dementieva d. Bepa 7-5 6-3 :sobbing:

She had a GP for 4-3* in the 2nd but was broken :sad:, and then was broken again at *3-5 :o

nick_chicane
Sep 1st, 2006, 10:09 PM
The match is being shown on Skysports here in the UK, but Vera has lost 7/5 6/3!

I feel annoyed right now! I watched the whole match and i just saw too much of the stuff that annoys me about Vera! Too much crying and acting like a little kid!

To be honest, it felt like 2004 all over again! All credit to Dementieva, she played some pretty good stuff but Vera disappointed, in my opinion! Too many chances not taken! :sad:

KV
Sep 1st, 2006, 10:10 PM
Not too disappointed with ther defeat. More disappointed with her wrist injury what prevented her from being in perfect conditon
for the US-Open. And not getting the WC for New Haven at the expense of Patty. Patty went immediately out against a pretty unknown player and wasn't injured. :o So she shouldn't have gotten the WC. Let's hope Bepa will have the luck of Patty very soon.

KV
Sep 1st, 2006, 10:13 PM
I'm glad I'm not watching it :o

Let's hope she can fight back :)I couldn't watch, ES1 showed James Blake and ES2 were more interested in Agassi's match from last night.

pav
Sep 1st, 2006, 10:15 PM
The match is being shown on Skysports here in the UK, but Vera has lost 7/5 6/3!

I feel annoyed right now! I watched the whole match and i just saw too much of the stuff that annoys me about Vera! Too much crying and acting like a little kid!

To be honest, it felt like 2004 all over again! All credit to Dementieva, she played some pretty good stuff but Vera disappointed, in my opinion! Too many chances not taken! :sad:

I think she played better against the yelper in 2004!

rrfnpump
Sep 1st, 2006, 10:16 PM
Vera didnt play good :(
she was too passive mostly, letting Lena dictate the points
was somehow not believing in her chances :sad:

also bad luck and all close calls against her

disappointing performance :shrug:
and too much crying indeed :(

nick_chicane
Sep 1st, 2006, 10:17 PM
Oh come on, lets not start putting blame on the wrist! She didnt perform enough today! That is why she lost! Dementieva wanted it more! Vera fought hard in periods but then collapsed when she'd done the hard work and then went into sulking mode! :fiery:

This was not a nice match to watch! I wish i'd been watching the Agassi match from last night too!

Dementinator
Sep 1st, 2006, 10:18 PM
Captain Dementinator here calling from the bridge of the SS Dementieva (hope to god I wont get lynched) I just wanted to say that while I am obviously delighted by Lenas win , I am very impressed at the way Vera has improved ,12 months ago she wouldnt have BEEN in the 3rd round ,let alone given the world number 5 a tough time..shes really getting back to her form and I was seriously worried about this match ,in some ways more than the possible Venus 3rd round Lena faced. Vera is starting to show the shots that got her to top ten in '04 and if this improvement continues ,shes gonna be dangerous..i still remember how she cleaned Capriatis Dial back in 04 ,6-0 6-0 wasnt it? something like that?

well thats it for now , dont be too hard on her and what a good match!

nick_chicane
Sep 1st, 2006, 10:24 PM
Thank you for your comments dementinator!
l
It doesnt really make up for it though! Vera had her chances but chose to sulk instead! It is the one and only part of her game that i hate! Shes such a talented girl, but god damn, it aint half frustrating following her! :banghead:

Epigone
Sep 2nd, 2006, 12:59 AM
There's a rain delay at 5-5 in the 1st set of the doubles :o

slk45
Sep 2nd, 2006, 03:57 AM
BEPA!!! :bigcry: :sobbing: :hug: :smooch:

Wish I could have been there! :sad: Get back on track in yr doubles, Vera. :hug:

LENA!! :bounce: :bounce: Take this title now!!

zvonareva14
Sep 2nd, 2006, 04:14 AM
:sad: The crying and antics need to stop it's just too much of a distraction she just loses her mind on the court... It's too hard to watch someone that talented and blessed to seem so upset and disapointed like nothing is ever good enough...Please conquor this Vera and you will be a true champion if not it may continue to be a rollercoaster career...I still love you though and know that you can change with some effort and real desire to want to become mentally strong!

zvonareva14
Sep 2nd, 2006, 04:45 AM
She struggled converting her first serves and hit many key, hard shots for winners. In other words, it was a very Elena Dementieva-type match.

The No. 4 seed Dementieva defeated fellow Russian and No. 33 Vera Zvonareva, 7-5, 6-3 to advance to the fourth round of the US Open.

She will next face unseeded Aravane Rezai of France.

Dementieva has played well in Flushing the last few years, reaching the semifinals last year and was the runner-up in 2004. She was also the runner-up at Roland Garros in 2004 and was the only woman in 2004 to reach two Grand Slam finals.

Despite Dementieva, the world No. 5, converting just 59 percent of her first serves and double faulting six times, Zvonareva struggled almost as much with her serves on Friday. Zvonareva converted just 61 percent of her first serves as well and neither player was getting much on their second serves.

However, Dementieva made the big shots when she needed them, hitting 35 winners to just 11 for Zvonareva. However, when Dementieva’s first serves made it over, they were effective, with a 76 percent winning percentage compared to 49 percent for Zvonareva.

The two traded service breaks for five consecutive games in the first set, which featured many long hard-hitting baseline rallies. The first set had a total of seven service breaks.

Dementieva closed it out finally, winning the last two games after a Zvonareva shot went long in the eleventh game and Dementieva crushed a winner to the left side for the set in the twelfth game.

Zvonareva was unhappy with many of the calls in the match, especially towards the end of the first set, moving her racket along a few of the white lines of the court. In the second set, Zvonareva slammed her racket against her bag when she hit a shot long after a good rally, giving Dementieva the break in the seventh game.
Dementieva went up 4-3 and then held her own serve and scored the break again with a hard shot past Zvonareva for the match.

rrfnpump
Sep 2nd, 2006, 09:32 AM
question... whose racquet gets kicked here :o

http://i1.tinypic.com/27ycvo6.jpg

zvonareva14
Sep 2nd, 2006, 06:09 PM
Where did you find that picture?

Harju.
Sep 2nd, 2006, 07:04 PM
Hope Epigone doesn't go after me because of the allez :sad:.

Didn't get to see the match. It's too bad that her injury was hindering her progress. I always adore Bepa's crybaby-ness during the match. It's very entertaining and :awww:. It might not be the best summer season, but it's still solid :yeah:.

Good luck on doubles and UDACHI. :banana:

David Barker
Sep 2nd, 2006, 07:34 PM
Vera didnt play good :(
she was too passive mostly, letting Lena dictate the points
was somehow not believing in her chances :sad:

also bad luck and all close calls against her

disappointing performance :shrug:
and too much crying indeed :(

Saw the match on Sky -this report perfectly summed the match up. It was Lena's to win or lose - Vera way too passive.

By the way if she had a game plan, what was it?!

pav
Sep 3rd, 2006, 01:45 AM
I get the distinct impression the Bepanator doesn't take too kindly to being Dementiated:tape:

AP Sports Writer Ben Walker

___

NEW YORK (AP) — Some players are fun to watch at the U.S. Open because of what they can do with the racket. Roger Federer hitting a shot behind-his-back and between-his-legs, that kind of thing.

And others, you go to see because, well, they might flip out. Marat Safin comes to mind. One writer always makes certain to track his matches, knowing bizarre behavior is a possibility.

So when Vera Zvonareva fell behind today against Elena Dementieva, it was time to walk over to the Grandstand court.

A couple of years ago at the Open, Zvonareva broke down in tears and sobbed during a match against Dementieva. For no apparent reason, either.

Got there to see only two games today, but that was enough time for Zvonareva to break a racket, throw away her visor, stare at the chair umpire, reach over the net to point at where a shot landed and zing an extra ball after losing a point.

I later asked Dementieva how she kept her cool in the face of such a display.

"You know what kind of match it's going to be when you play her," she said. "She is, how would you say, very emotional."

By Zvonareva's standards, today's show was rather tame. But worth it.

rrfnpump
Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:14 AM
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=260271

yeah, ok :rolleyes:

slk45
Sep 3rd, 2006, 05:32 PM
"Some people can handle all that is New York and the U.S. Open and play their best tennis," Dementieva said. "Vera (Zvonareva) is getting more confident. She played well, especially in the first set."
link (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=8968888&postcount=37547)

nick_chicane
Sep 3rd, 2006, 05:41 PM
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=260271

yeah, ok :rolleyes:

Is that actually a real comment from Vera?

slk45
Sep 3rd, 2006, 07:51 PM
Is that actually a real comment from Vera?
If you make your way thru the thread, it turns out it wasn't quite translated correctly. :rolleyes: Apparently, she did say the 2nd set was a "cakewalk", tho' I wonder if they really have that phrase in Polish or Russian. ;)

slk45
Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:28 PM
:bounce: :bounce: Vera & Nat over Kanepi/Navratilova 7-5, 1-6, 6-3.

GO BEPA/NAT!! :bounce: :yippee: :bounce:

nick_chicane
Sep 4th, 2006, 12:29 AM
If you make your way thru the thread, it turns out it wasn't quite translated correctly. :rolleyes: Apparently, she did say the 2nd set was a "cakewalk", tho' I wonder if they really have that phrase in Polish or Russian. ;)

Ok, still seems abit disrespectful though! :confused:

daniela86
Sep 4th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Well done Vera/Nathalie in doubles :yeah: :bounce: They'll play against the winner of Hantuchova/Sugiyama - Fedak/Perebyinis.Both are great teams :scared: It may be very very though :unsure: :scared: :scared:
About Vera's comments,they indeed seem a bit disrespectful but at least Vera was being honest and as for me,I like players who can sometimes be a bit bitchy :devil: :rocker:

Epigone
Sep 4th, 2006, 02:46 AM
According to the live scoring thread, it appears that I fell asleep at my computer at 7-5 1-6 *1-0 :o

That's probably a good thing because the 2nd set was so frustrating. It was like "Bepa/Nathalie with GP...now facing BP" :smash: :lol:

slk45
Sep 4th, 2006, 03:24 AM
LoL, she didnt say that.

"Second set was a training for me.I just wanted to try out Hawk-Eye which makes linesmans mad because I was questioning thier decisions several times-but it's not my problem."

Thats the right translation of what she said.And this article is quoted from shitty tabloid newspaper.See this thread (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=8968563&postcount=42)

After looking a third time, I see nothing in here about the 2nd set being a "cakewalk," so scratch that too.

nick_chicane
Sep 4th, 2006, 07:34 AM
See this thread (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=8968563&postcount=42)

After looking a third time, I see nothing in here about the 2nd set being a "cakewalk," so scratch that too.

So does anyone actually know what she did say? :lol:

Foot's Fingers
Sep 4th, 2006, 03:41 PM
plaaah too many attantion to yellow papers.......

Anyway go Vara in doubles now!!!!

It was sad to see her crying again, and honesly it was all abt Lena match

Epigone
Sep 4th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Bepa/Nathalie overcame a :smash: start to d. (4) Hantuchova/Sugiyama 3-6 6-4 6-2 :bigclap: :dance: :worship: :woohoo:

Daniela/Ai :hug:

slk45
Sep 4th, 2006, 09:50 PM
BEPA/NAT!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Nice comeback against a strong team, ladies!! Keep it going! :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

Ani/Tu are next.

GO BEPA/NATHALIE!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

zvonareva14
Sep 5th, 2006, 02:40 AM
WOW! GREAT WIN! Very unexpected let's go Vera/Nathalie!!!!! :D

Foot's Fingers
Sep 5th, 2006, 10:49 AM
wow!!!!

perfect win girls :)

Munich
Sep 5th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Bepa/Nat :banana: :banana:
they're now a force in dubz ;)

Harju.
Sep 5th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Lol. Against Tu/Ani again. Good luck Bepa :yeah:

nick_chicane
Sep 5th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Yeah, impressive result that one! I didnt expect them to come through! :clap2:

rrfnpump
Sep 5th, 2006, 06:10 PM
wow, nice wins in doubles when I was away :) ;) :yeah:

please beat Maret/Meilen :devil:

zvonareva14
Sep 6th, 2006, 12:57 AM
This is totally random but just out of curiosity is any1 doing the wtatour.com whirl pool fantasy tennis? :rolleyes:

Foot's Fingers
Sep 6th, 2006, 09:43 AM
due to rain will play today

Go Vera!!! :rocker2:

i am supporting Dechy :tape: after Tu :tape: strnage 2006 year

at least Dechy knows how to play with Russians together

Epigone
Sep 6th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Let's hope that the match will get played today :o

Hopefully they can win it in 2 :angel:

goldenlox
Sep 6th, 2006, 03:34 PM
NEW YORK (AP) -- Some players are fun to watch at the U.S. Open because of what they can do with the racket. Roger Federer hitting a shot behind-his-back and between-his-legs, that kind of thing.

And others, you go to see because, well, they might flip out. Marat Safin (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/marat_safin/index.html?inline=nyt-per) comes to mind. One writer always makes certain to track his matches, knowing bizarre behavior is a possibility.

So when Vera Zvonareva fell behind today against Elena Dementieva, it was time to walk over to the Grandstand court.

A couple of years ago at the Open, Zvonareva broke down in tears and sobbed during a match against Dementieva. For no apparent reason, either.

Got there to see only two games today, but that was enough time for Zvonareva to break a racket, throw away her visor, stare at the chair umpire, reach over the net to point at where a shot landed and zing an extra ball after losing a point.

I later asked Dementieva how she kept her cool in the face of such a display.

''You know what kind of match it's going to be when you play her,'' she said. ''She is, how would you say, very emotional.''

By Zvonareva's standards, today's show was rather tame. But worth it.

daniela86
Sep 6th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Go Vera/Nat :bounce: Both Nat and Vera teamed up with Tu so they know her very well :devil: Moreover,Vera/Nat already defeated Ani/Tu in Paris this year so I'm very optimistic about this match :bounce: :rocker: :rocker2: Davai!!:music:

Epigone
Sep 6th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Bepa/Nathalie d. Ani/Tu 6-4 6-1 :bigclap: :banana: :worship: :dance:

rrfnpump
Sep 6th, 2006, 07:51 PM
take the title here :yippee:

after their pathetic loss against Camerin/Dulko I didnt expect them to go so far :p

daniela86
Sep 7th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Vera/Nat :yeah: :bounce: Well done :D 2nd GS together and 2nd QF for them :yippee: I think they can turn into a great team :yippee: :yippee:
Best of luck against Ruano Pascual/Suarez now! RP/Suarez beat Chaky/Vesnina whom I like a lot, hope Vera/Nat will take their revenge:p

slk45
Sep 7th, 2006, 01:14 AM
BEPA & NAT!!! A great win. :banana: :banana: I wasn't able to follow it, but the result is grand. (hint, Vera! :) ) :yippee: :yippee:

Suarez & Ruano Pascual will be tough, but you can do it if you get right down to business. Give no quarter. :armed:

Foot's Fingers
Sep 7th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Congrats!!!!

beat VRP/PS now pls

rrfnpump
Sep 7th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Vera celebrates her 22 birthday today :D :aparty: :kiss: :bounce:

lets hope Vera makes herself a nice birthday present by beating VRP/PS :p :banana:

Fililander
Sep 7th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Well i think it is about time for my first post here.

Happy Birthday Vera. You are now 22 :worship: . Good luck for your future life and your career. And good luck in the doubles today

mfg

wallace

Foot's Fingers
Sep 7th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Hope she will have very happy day and year

Congrats

Epigone
Sep 7th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Happy Birthday!!! :bdaycake:

Keep rolling into the SF :drive: :cool:

Harju.
Sep 7th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Happy Birthday Bepa :aparty: :yippee:

Good luck in the quarterfinal match against VRP/PS.

slk45
Sep 7th, 2006, 03:37 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BEPA!! :hug: :smooch:
:bounce: :bounce: :dance: :dance: :aparty: :aparty: :yippee: :yippee: :aparty: :aparty: :dance: :dance: :bounce: :bounce:

:bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake:
:bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake:

22 today! That's a good omen. "Doubles."

Good luck in your match today, Vera! :bigwave: Wish I was there!

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 7th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Happy 22nd Bepa ;) :aparty: :kiss: ;) :yeah:

goldenlox
Sep 7th, 2006, 04:12 PM
с днем рождения

All the best Vera!!

daniela86
Sep 7th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Happy birthday dear Vera!!! :kiss: :aparty: :aparty: :bounce: :yippee: :worship: :kiss:

Btw,welcome to Vera's thread,wallace :kiss:

slk45
Sep 7th, 2006, 04:25 PM
AMAZING! USA network is showing Bepa/Nathalie's doubles match right now!!! :eek:

They broke in the 2nd game, but Suarez/Ruano Pascual just broke back. 2-1 Bepa/Nat.

GO BEPA/NAT!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

nick_chicane
Sep 7th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Happy Birthday Vera! :aparty:

Epigone
Sep 7th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Bepa/Nathalie d. Ruano Pascual/Suarez 7-5 6-3 :bigclap: :worship: :dance: :bounce: :banana:

Into the SF :cool:

They blew soooo many chances to wrap up this match quickly :help:

slk45
Sep 7th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Congratulations to Bepa/Nathalie 7-5, 6-3, over Suarez/Ruano Pascual!!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :hearts: :hearts:

rrfnpump
Sep 7th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Vera keeps staying at NYC :cool: :)
hopefully she will be there till Sunday ;)

slk45
Sep 7th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Bepa/Nathalie d. Ruano Pascual/Suarez 7-5 6-3 :bigclap: :worship: :dance: :bounce: :banana:

Into the SF :cool:

They blew soooo many chances to wrap up this match quickly :help:
But it's a great sign that they were able to come back and close it out. :yeah:

Epigone
Sep 7th, 2006, 06:21 PM
But it's a great sign that they were able to come back and close it out. :yeah:Not when it's 3am and I want to sleep :p

Fililander
Sep 7th, 2006, 06:42 PM
They reached the semis. Congrats. Didnt expected that. Now go for the title girls. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: I love the smileys.

zvonareva14
Sep 8th, 2006, 03:06 AM
VERA HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!! :D :wavey: :hearts: :bounce: :clap2: :yippee: :aparty: :bdaycake: AND WHAT A GREAT GIFT SEMIS OF THE OPEN FOR DOUBLES! LOVE U LOTS VERA!!!!

slk45
Sep 8th, 2006, 05:53 AM
BEPA & NAT first up on Armstrong 11:00am ET.
They will be competing with men's doubles for TV time.

GO BEPA/NATHALIE!!! Opportunity knocking!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

tobi
Sep 8th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Happy Birthday Bepa :hug:

Davai Bepa/Nath lets reach the final :D

Foot's Fingers
Sep 8th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Good Luck in Sf now!!!

Harju.
Sep 8th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Great win :aparty:. Where did that come from? :tape:
Good luck in the semis now.

daniela86
Sep 8th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Bepa/Nat :bounce: :rocker2: Amazing win :bounce: :rocker2: 2 more matchs! :kiss:

goldenlox
Sep 8th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Vera played great doubles at Wimbledon. She's become great at the net

Epigone
Sep 8th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Bepa/Nathalie d. Peschke/Schiavone 6-4 6-1 :bigclap: :banana: :worship: :bounce: :cool:

Into the final :woohoo:

They messed up in the 1st set and were broken to open the 2nd set, but really fought back :bowdown:

slk45
Sep 8th, 2006, 05:38 PM
BEPA/NATHALIE INTO THE FINALS!!! 6-4, 6-1 :woohoo:
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
:hug: :smooch: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

Way to go, girls!!! :worship: :worship:

YOU CAN DO IT!!! TAKE THE TITLE!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

rrfnpump
Sep 8th, 2006, 05:40 PM
First time Vera is into a slam final in doubles competition :yeah: :)
after two mixed titles its time for a doubles title :cool:

pretty impressive win today, but final is gonna be very very tough
I would prefer Safina/Srebotnik over Raymond/Stosur

anyways, well done, girls :bigclap:

daniela86
Sep 8th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Amazing :D :bounce: :rocker: :bounce: :rocker: :rocker2: Huge congrats Nathalie/Vera :yippee: :yippee: :angel: They are more and more impressive :eek: :worship: :worship: Best of luck in the final now! :kiss: I would also prefer to see them play Kata/Dina.They seem easier to beat :unsure:

nick_chicane
Sep 8th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Wow, i just saw the doubles result! How on earth did they beat the doubles maestros? :confused:

Even better considering Vera and Nathalie havent been playing together for very long! Well done you 2! :)

Raymond and Stosur is the final i dont want! Those 2 are in great form! :help:

zvonareva14
Sep 8th, 2006, 09:15 PM
O VERA!!! HOW HAPPY I M FOR U!!!! GOOD LUCK THIS TITLE IS YOURS!!! :worship: :worship: :D ;) :wavey: :bounce:

Harju.
Sep 9th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Oh they're playing against Dina/Kata. I love these four players, but too bad we all have to root for Bepa. All the luck in the final :aparty:

rrfnpump
Sep 9th, 2006, 09:13 AM
http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_0807003_suarez.jpg

Unseeded Zvonereva/Dechy Duo Blaze into Final
by Erin Gell
Friday, September 8, 2006

Vera Zvonereva and Nathalie Dechy have now ousted three seeds on their way to the women’s doubles final, advancing Friday over the No. 6 team of Francesca Schiavone and Kveta Peschke, 6-4, 6-1.

Schiavone and Peschke took the early break, but Zvonereva and Dechy rallied back to secure the first set. With no double faults and no unforced errors, the pair, hailing from Russia and France, respectively, played a much cleaner match.

The aggressive Schiavone smacked some ruthless shots in the first game of the second set to go up a break, but after that, it was all Zvonereva and Dechy. They won the next six games straight for the win.

All four women scheduled a busy Open; each of them played here in singles, women’s doubles and mixed doubles. Zvonereva and Schiavone made it to the third round in the singles draw, while Peschke will revisit Louis Armstrong Stadium later in the afternoon for her mixed doubles semifinal with partner Martin Damm.

Zvonereva and Dechy will face the winner of Friday’s match between Lisa Raymond/Samantha Stosur and Dinara Safina/Katarina Srebotnik in the final on Sunday.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/reports/2006-09-08/200609081157746836718.html

KV
Sep 9th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Great doubles perf, after mixed doubles win at Wimbly. Bepa reached another doubles final. Though not really surprised Bepa & Nat def. Suarez/Pascual. Even though Suarez/Pascual are a very successful team they certainly didn't underachieve rather overachieved in doubles.

Harju.
Sep 9th, 2006, 02:15 PM
I hope Bepa withdraws from Bali now. It's not worth it to rush to the other part of the world to lose in the first round due to exhaustion.

goldenlox
Sep 9th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Winning this match is $200,000 to Vera. Quite a nice payday

Epigone
Sep 9th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Winning this match is $200,000 to Vera. Quite a nice paydayWinning this match would mean winning a "legitimate" GS title (since some people don't rate mixed doubles :ras: )

I think Bepa and Nathalie really have a great shot at taking this title :D. They've just gotta make sure that they convert their BP chances as soon as they present themselves

daniela86
Sep 9th, 2006, 05:49 PM
I hope Bepa withdraws from Bali now. It's not worth it to rush to the other part of the world to lose in the first round due to exhaustion.
I agree.

Good luck Vera and Nathalie tomorrow!! :kiss: I have a very good feeling about this match :yippee: I am optimistic :yippee: Davai girls :bounce: :rocker2: :rocker: :worship:

leviathane
Sep 9th, 2006, 11:54 PM
I'm very happy for Nath and Bepa :hearts: and i hope the best for tomorrow in the final :bounce:

Lodvg
Sep 10th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Go Vera:yeah:

Shoulderpova
Sep 10th, 2006, 02:00 PM
wow Vera into GS final :D ;) and either Vera or Dinara will become GS champion :eek: so happy for them :) I like Vera/Nathalie alittle bit more :p
Something tells me that this title will go to them. Go Vera/Nathalie :)
sorry Dinara/Katarina :hug::hug:

goldenlox
Sep 10th, 2006, 05:07 PM
I don't know if mixed is legit or not, but take any slam title you can get

slk45
Sep 10th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Some people don't recognize anything except singles titles. But their narrow view doesn't really matter.

Regular doubles, or mixed doubles, if it's a category recognized by the tournament, it is legitimated by the tournament, and winning it brings the title.

GO BEPA/NAT!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Sweep
Sep 10th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Good luck in the doubles today Vera and Nathalie. You can do it! :D

goldenlox
Sep 10th, 2006, 07:07 PM
It's not only a slam title, $200,000 is like winning a Tier I

slk45
Sep 10th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Some pretty sloppy play from both teams in the first 9 games. Then Vera & Nathalie picked it up a couple levels. 1st set 7-6.

GO BEPA/NAT!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2006, 07:25 PM
They saved SPx3 at 4-5* and then fought from 1-5 to 7-5 in the TB :bolt:

goldenlox
Sep 10th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Who cares if it's sloppy. It's doubles for big bucks

slk45
Sep 10th, 2006, 07:45 PM
We don't care if it's sloppy as long as they win.

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Bepa/Nathalie d. Safina/Srebotnik 7-6(5) 7-5 to take the US Open Women's Doubles title :bigclap: :dance: :worship: :banana: :cool: :bowdown: :drive:

slk45
Sep 10th, 2006, 07:59 PM
THEY DID IT!! :worship: :worship: :woohoo:

CONGRATULATIONS BEPA/NATHALIE!!! :hug: :hug: :smooch: :smooch:
:yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

rrfnpump
Sep 10th, 2006, 08:04 PM
so amazing... another GS title this year for Vera :D :) :yeah: :worship:
they didnt play well in the first set till 3-5, but then they fought and came back from SPx3 and 1-5 in the TB

just amazing :hearts:
hopefully this will give Vera (and Nath of course) more confidence

so happy now :bounce:

KV
Sep 10th, 2006, 08:07 PM
What a comeback in both sets. After 2 Tier 3's mixed doubles win at Wimbly followed by women's doubles US-Open win. Well done Bepa.

slk45
Sep 10th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I was soooooo close to flying out there yesterday for this match!! :unsure:

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Between this match and Nastya Pavlyuchenkova blowing multiple leads in her win :help:, my nerves are shot :o

I hope that someone will upload it because I'm dying to see what happened :p

Fililander
Sep 10th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Congratulations Vera and Nathalie :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :worship: :worship: :worship: You made a fantastic job. Both sets were so close and i expected a third set. Vera made herself a nice birthday present.

@Sam

What was the problem?

(•_•)
Sep 10th, 2006, 08:21 PM
What an amazing win!!! :bowdown: :bounce: :bounce: :hearts: :bigclap:

They came back from 4-5 0-40 and 1-5 in the tiebreak to win it 7-5 in the first set :yeah: :worship: :worship:

Vera/Nathalie :hug:

pav
Sep 10th, 2006, 08:21 PM
So happy after watching the match live(worth getting up at 5am for,even earlier for a certain Aussie)wont swear or yell at any animal or bird all day! Was great to see Bepa keeping her calm and unother unamed Russian doing a bit of racquet bouncing:) I must admit I didn't think they would make a good doubles team, glad once again to be wrong.

rrfnpump
Sep 10th, 2006, 08:22 PM
I hope that someone will upload it because I'm dying to see what happened :p

when 4*-5 00-40 I was like :explode:
but Nathalie really saved the team here with fantastic overhead smashs

it was a good quality match, it was so exciting :D

slk45
Sep 10th, 2006, 08:37 PM
@Sam

What was the problem?a) Some complicated logistics regarding the USO tickets; also it was questionable whether I could get travel points transferred from my credit card into the airline account in time to get my airline ticket.

b) There is a possibility I might be on a tour which would end in Moscow at the beginning of the Kremlin Cup, and I would stay an extra 3 or 4 days for that. Might have to use those travel miles for part of that.

c) personal dilemma: had a funeral to attend Saturday morning. If I skipped that, I would have been in NY about 11am. I could take a flight after the funeral, which would not have arrived in NY until about 730pm. Which meant I would have missed probably the 1st set of Sharapova v. HH, by the time I got to the Tennis Center.

the cat
Sep 10th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Well done Vera. :) And it seems like her singles game is almost back on track.

Fililander
Sep 10th, 2006, 08:44 PM
a) Some complicated logistics regarding the USO tickets; also it was questionable whether I could get travel points transferred from my credit card into the airline account in time to get my airline ticket.

b) There is a possibility I might be on a tour which would end in Moscow at the beginning of the Kremlin Cup, and I would stay an extra 3 or 4 days for that. Might have to use those travel miles for part of that.

c) personal dilemma: had a funeral to attend Saturday morning. If I skipped that, I would have been in NY about 11am. I could take a flight after the funeral, which would not have arrived in NY until about 730pm. Which meant I would have missed probably the 1st set of Sharapova v. HH, by the time I got to the Tennis Center.

Well there are situations where you have to accept the fate ;) The important thing is that Vera won.

pav
Sep 10th, 2006, 08:44 PM
At least she cites a schedule change, not a sore wrist:)

Four players pull out from Wismilak Tennis tournament in Bali

The Associated Press
http://www.iht.com/images/article/spacer.gif
Published: September 10, 2006
http://www.iht.com/images/icon/null.gif
BALI, Indonesia (http://www.iht.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?query=BALI, Indonesia&sort=swishrank) The Wismilak International starting Monday on Bali island has been hit by late withdrawals, with four of the tournament's drawcards dropping out.
Germany's Anna-Lena Groenefeld pulled out due to a shoulder injury, Elena Likhovtseva from Russia has withdrawn due to a right ankle injury, and Serbia's Jelena Jankovic has also declined the invitation due to back injury, tournament Andisuari Dewi said Sunday.
Russian Vera Zvonareva withdrew at the last moment because a change of schedule, Dewi said.
"We are naturally disappointed that some of the players we expected in Bali suffered injury while playing at the U.S. Open," tournament director Kevin Livesey said in a statement. "But we are delighted to welcome many top stars to the Wismilak International."
The US$225,000 (€177,600) tournament — which runs through Sept. 17 will still feature defending champion Lindsay Davenport of the United States and 2002 champion Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia.
Security at the Wismilak International, which has been tight since the Oct. 12, 2002 Bali bombings that killed 202 people, has been heightened another blast last year that claimed 20 lives.
Each player will have an armed guard to protect them and all fans will be screened, organizers said.
"Security is our priority so that the players feel safe," said Stefanus Handoyo, operation manager for the tournament.
Other players at the tournament include Montreal champion Ana Ivanovic of Serbia, Slovakia's Daniela Hantuchova and Indonesian star Angelique Widjaja.

slk45
Sep 10th, 2006, 09:09 PM
At least she cites a schedule change, not a sore wrist:)
I was concerned a bit about that. I see Vera had her wrist taped. :( CBS replayed a backhand winner down the line, as Tracy Austin made reference to Vera's previous wrist injuries, saying they resulted from her tremendous backhand shots like that one.

tobi
Sep 10th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Congrats Bepa :woohoo: :banana: :yeah:

So happy for both Bepa and Nathalie :D :hug:

Nathalie was so sweet after the MP :D :hug:

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2006, 09:14 PM
So happy after watching the match live(worth getting up at 5am for,even earlier for a certain Aussie)It started at 3am for me, but there's no way it was going to be shown on TV. They thought that infomercials were more interesting :rolleyes:

I'll be interested to see what her form is like after this result

Lodvg
Sep 10th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Congrats Vera:yeah:

nick_chicane
Sep 10th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Great news!

Well done Vera/Nathalie!

Certainly goes some way to making up for the weak showing in her match with Dementieva! :)

I really didnt see it happening though, Vera and Nathalie have barely played together! Major surprise, but a nice one!

daniela86
Sep 10th, 2006, 11:10 PM
:yippee: :aparty: Yayness!!!!:aparty: :worship:I am so happy,congrats Vera/Nathalie:hearts: :bounce: :rocker: Amazing win!! :banana: :banana: :cool: (too bad I couldn't see the match though :sad: ) I really hope they will keep teaming up and win other Grand Slams :yeah: :bounce: :cool: :bounce: :hug:

Epigone
Sep 11th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Unheralded Doubles Duo Takes Women's Title
by Lisa Zimmerman
Sunday, September 10, 2006

They had already beaten the odds to reach the women’s doubles finals, so it was not an overwhelming surprise that unseeded Nathalie Dechy and Vera Zvonareva were able to withstand the challenge from No. 8 seeds Dinara Safina and Katarina Srebotnik to take the 2006 US Open title, 7-6(5), 7-5.
Said Zvonareva after the match, “That's what we work for [for] 20 years, to play in front of the crowd, in the center court of the Grand Slam in the finals. It's a great opportunity. You just got to enjoy. No matter how you play, try to do it.”

Safina-Srebotnik had earned their place in the final with two significant upsets – over No. 3 seeds Cara Black-Rennae Stubbs in the quarterfinals and over No.1 seeds Lisa Raymond-Samantha Stosur in the semis.

Interestingly, Dechy-Zvonareva seemed the less organized of the two teams. More than once they both dove for the same ball, seemingly with no communication between them. Twice this resulted in them smacking their rackets together and losing the point.

Safina-Srebotnik seemed to have more of a proclivity toward a controlled baseline game, but the difference in their cadence as compared to that of Dechy-Zvonareva made for a very choppy match. Rather than moving smoothly and rapidly as tends to be the norm in doubles, the women moved at a much slower – sometimes plodding -- pace. It was almost as if they were affected by the beautiful, lazy sunny day. Even the crowd was quiet, with several couples seen canoodling at courtside.

Appropriately, neither team served an ace, with the fastest serve coming in at 106mph.

A spirited rally at 4-5 in the first set gave Safina-Srebotnik an opportunity to break and take the set, but Dechy-Zvonareva fought back to get even and then maintained momentum to win it.

The second set was mostly a replay of the first – slow and drawn out with the tempo moderate, at best.

Finally, Dechy-Zvonareva were up 6-5 with Safina-Srebotnik on serve trying, with one last gasp, to save themselves. However, at 0-40 it wasn’t meant to be and Dechy-Zvonareva, took the title in a straight-sets victory.

Match facts
- Prior to this year, Dechy’s best doubles performance at the US Open was the second round in 2002.
- This was Vera Zvonareva’s first-ever doubles appearance at the US Open
- Dechy-Zvonareva were ousted in the quarterfinals of this year's French Open. link (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/reports/2006-09-10/200609101157928772343.html)

Emptiness
Sep 11th, 2006, 02:56 AM
Yays! :bigclap:

zvonareva14
Sep 11th, 2006, 04:31 AM
:) :worship: :bounce: :hearts: YES YES YES!!!! I LOVE YOU VERA WHAT AN AMAZING, WELL ROUNDED YEAR SO FAR! TITLES IN ALL CATEGORIES!!!! WELL DONE GIRLS SO HAPPY FOR U AND SMART DECISION VERA TO PULL OUT OF BALI!!! :D

Daniel
Sep 11th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Congrats Vera :aparty: :kiss:

slk45
Sep 11th, 2006, 06:26 AM
Vera is ranked #29 with 688 pts. She is 210 pts out of the top 20, with nothing to defend until 10/3.

Bepa, time for :zzz: :zzz: !

Paranoia
Sep 11th, 2006, 07:38 AM
CONGRATS VERA!!!

what a great performance you've shown us there!

pav
Sep 11th, 2006, 07:39 AM
link (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/reports/2006-09-10/200609101157928772343.html)

That article sounded a bit condesending,the players not rushing the net and getting the points done and dusted to the reporters' satisfaction,saying in as many words that there were four bloody nitwits attempting to play out there,it is a wonder reading it that they are not still out there frigging around:fiery: The smacking the racquets together was a practised move that Bepa had learned off Bob and Venus.

Shoulderpova
Sep 11th, 2006, 12:39 PM
wow Vera :clap2: :clap2: what a turn-around :eek: Many congrats :)
Dinara/Kata :sad:

rrfnpump
Sep 11th, 2006, 01:46 PM
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2006-09-10/200609101157949626921.html

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. So you were not seeded in this tournament; you won. What can you say about this victory?
NATHALIE DECHY: Well, we were not seeded, but we did some good matches in the French Open already. I mean, we took match after match, and really get better match after match, I think.
It's not a matter of seeding, it's a matter of playing well match after match.

Q. Were you expecting such good results?
VERA ZVONAREVA: You know, you always come for the tournament and you always have the desire to win, you know. Everyone, you ask every player, every player come into the tournament to win.
But I think it's more important just not to expect anything. You just go on court and do your thing, you know. Just to concentrate on every point and go, you know, match by match, like Nathalie said. I think that's what we're doing good, you know. No matter who is on the other side of the net, and no matter how we play this day, we just try to fight for every point. That's the most important thing.
NATHALIE DECHY: The first match, you remember the first match was such a nightmare.
VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah, it was so bad, you know. I couldn't put the ball in the court. It was so different because we didn't really play many doubles, and I was playing singles and I was just feeling on the court I have no space. Like I couldn't make a shot in doubles. I played every shot was going to the (indiscernible) or net or to the fans, you know, because I couldn't find the court.
Well, but, you know, was more important to communicate with each other. And no matter what happens, just, yeah...

Q. Today you were communicating well. In the first set, you had 5 4 for the others, Love 40 and...
NATHALIE DECHY: Yeah.
VERA ZVONAREVA: What can we do? What can we do?
But it's just the way the game goes, and we got to enjoy it no matter what, you know? That's what we work for, 20 years, to play in front of the crowd, in the center court of the Grand Slam in the finals. It's a great opportunity. You just got to enjoy. No matter how you play, try to do it.

Harju.
Sep 11th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Congrats Bepa/Nath :banana: Great job girls. :aparty:
Another GS trophy added to the resume :D

Harju.
Sep 11th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Hope someone uploads this match :angel: Or at least the MP point.

slk45
Sep 11th, 2006, 02:10 PM
VERA ZVONAREVA: What can we do? What can we do?
But it's just the way the game goes, and we got to enjoy it no matter what, you know? That's what we work for, 20 years, to play in front of the crowd, in the center court of the Grand Slam in the finals. It's a great opportunity. You just got to enjoy. No matter how you play, try to do it.Let's hope Vera listens to her own advice. :yeah: :bounce:

goldenlox
Sep 11th, 2006, 03:06 PM
This is Vera's biggest payday ever. Over $250,000 for 2 weeks of tennis

Sweep
Sep 11th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Fantastic work by Vera and Nathalie. Congratulations on winning the doubles title, who knows this could be the start of a fantastic doubles partnership with many titles still to follow. :D

Forget Hantuyama, it's Zvonarechy you wanna look out for! :devil:

goldenlox
Sep 11th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Dechy, Zvonareva Win US Open Doubles Title

FLUSHING MEADOWS, NY, USA -- In a doubles fortnight full of surprises, it seemed only fitting that the champion's crown would go to one of the most unheralded teams in the draw. Playing only their fourth event as a team, Nathalie Dechy and Vera Zvonareva were the last women standing, defeating Dinara Safina and Katarina Srebotnik in two sets, 76(5) 75, for the US Open doubles title.

The unseeded duo of Dechy and Zvonareva remained solid through some particularly tight situations during Sunday's final. With Zvonareva serving 4-5 they clawed their way out of triple break point to even things up 5-all, then in the tie-break roared back from a 5-3 hole, winning the last four points to clinch the set. Finally, they broke their No.8-seeded opponents at love in the ultimate game of match to complete the one-hour, 46-minute championship win.

"It's just the way the game goes, and we got to enjoy it no matter what," said Zvonareva about the gritty handling of the tight situations. "That's what we've been working at for 20 years, to play in front of the crowd on the center court of a Grand Slam in the final. It's a great opportunity. You just have to enjoy it. No matter how you play, try to do it."

Although they never faced the world's Top 2 teams, Dechy and Zvonareva were definitely not spoiled when it came to the draw they were given. They survived three-setters in their first two matches, a 75 16 63 victory over Kaia Kanepi and Gabriela Navratilova, and a 36 64 62 defeat of No.4 seeds Daniela Hantuchova and Ai Sugiyama. They won the rest of their matches in straights, including two more upsets in the quarters and semis, over No.7 seeds Virginia Ruano Pascual and Paola Suarez and No.6 seeds Kveta Peschke and Francesca Schiavone.

"The first match was such a nightmare," Dechy said.

"It was so bad," Zvonareva added. "I couldn't put the ball in the court. We hadn't really played together too much, and I was playing singles and I was just feeling on the court I have no space, like I couldn't make a shot in doubles. Every shot was going into the net or to the fans, because I couldn't find the court. But then we started communicating with each other better."

Upon defeating the No.8 seeds in the final, they became the first unseeded team to claim a Grand Slam women's doubles title in over five years, since the Williams sisters captured the Australian Open in 2001 as a wild card tandem.

"We were not seeded, but we played some good matches in the French Open already," said Dechy; in their first event, they made the Roland Garros quarters. "We really got better match by match, I think. It's not a matter of seeding; it's a matter of playing well match after match."

And the seeds certainly fell during the fortnight. Top seeds and defending champions Lisa Raymond and Samantha Stosur and No.3 seeds Cara Black and Rennae Stubbs both fell to Safina and Srebotnik prior to the final, while No.2 seeds Yan Zi and Zheng Jie lost to Peschke and Schiavone.

But it was a happy ending for both Dechy and Zvonareva, to whom the US Open marked a career-first Grand Slam women's doubles title. Zvonareva had only made one major semifinal in women's doubles previously, while Dechy hadn't even passed the quarterfinals. But there's a first for everything.

"You always come to the tournament with the desire to win," said Zvonareva, a two-time Grand Slam mixed doubles champion, including at Wimbledon this year. "But, it's more important to not expect anything. Just go on court, do your thing. Just concentrate on every point, go match by match, like Nathalie said. That's what we were doing well. No matter who's on the other side of the net or how we're playing, we try to fight for every point. That's the most important thing."

Epigone
Sep 11th, 2006, 04:58 PM
After the US Open, Bepa has moved from #34 to #29 in singles and from #25 to #11 in doubles :yeah:

The only way is up :D

goldenlox
Sep 11th, 2006, 05:11 PM
I think Vera can win a lot of doubles titles. And be an Olympian.
This has turned into a very good year for Vera

nick_chicane
Sep 11th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Vera is ranked #29 with 688 pts. She is 210 pts out of the top 20, with nothing to defend until 10/3.

Bepa, time for :zzz: :zzz: !

Oh, i really like the sounds of that! :)

pav
Sep 11th, 2006, 08:27 PM
I don't want to be an annoying bugger but I am still pissed off with the Lisa Zimmerman
article

Unheralded Doubles Duo Takes Women's Title
by Lisa Zimmerman
Sunday, September 10, 2006

Appropriately, neither team served an ace, with the fastest serve coming in at 106mph.

Looked to me and the commentator,that Bepa served an ace at 4 4 15 15 second set:fiery:

slk45
Sep 11th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Looked to me and the commentator,that Bepa served an ace at 4 4 15 15 second set:fiery:

I thought she did too. :scratch:
But the stats didn't show it.

zvonareva14
Sep 12th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Yea but screw Zimmerman! She just wishes she could do something meaningful in life! :p

nick_chicane
Sep 12th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Yeah, is she a Grand Slam winner? I think not! So shut it Zimmerman and maybe concentrate more on getting your surname changed! :lol:

Foot's Fingers
Sep 12th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Only now i have a chance to thank Ver5a for wonderful feelings!!!

it was great to follow her doubles final win :kiss:

Congrats!!!

Dechy seems is lucky that she is playing with Vera now

Foot's Fingers
Sep 12th, 2006, 01:23 PM
btw, Vera took doubles Russian lead after Likhovtseva this week in terms of ranking

Epigone
Sep 12th, 2006, 01:31 PM
btw, Vera took doubles Russian lead after Likhovtseva this week in terms of rankingI noticed that when I looked at her new doubles ranking.

Bepa needs to be the #1 Russian doubles player when they're selecting the 2008 Olympic team.

Foot's Fingers
Sep 12th, 2006, 01:37 PM
I noticed that when I looked at her new doubles ranking.

Bepa needs to be the #1 Russian doubles player when they're selecting the 2008 Olympic team.

talking abt China -- with whom she can play??? Nastya???? seems Lena will not take part Sveta have never playued with Vera ...... Petrova???? more probable Sveta/Nadia in this case

Masha - if she plays - will play singles only

nick_chicane
Sep 12th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Masha - if she plays - will play singles only

You wouldnt want Maria as your doubles partner anyway! She'd make a terrible doubles player as she never comes into the net and doesnt have the ability to carress a ball! Its just whack as hard as you can with Maria, and if your right up at the net, the only place that will go is out!

goldenlox
Sep 12th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Vera needs a steady partner for the Olympics starting next summer

slk45
Sep 12th, 2006, 05:40 PM
I looked back at Vera & Nathalie's doubles final at 4-4, 15-15 in the 2nd set. Vera did serve an ace out wide to Srebotnik! Dick Enberg on USA Network called the ace as well.

The statistician seems to have missed it. :zzz: :yawn: :confused:

rrfnpump
Sep 12th, 2006, 05:41 PM
I thought Vera served 2 aces in the whole match
two times against Srebotnik

slk45
Sep 12th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Maybe I'll have to watch the match again!!! :)

rrfnpump
Sep 12th, 2006, 07:49 PM
The match is now uploaded on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnDnVNlrj4Y&mode=related&search=

happy watching for those who couldnt see it :p
the beginning is awful, but Vera/Nath got better with every point played

and count the aces :)

Emptiness
Sep 12th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Huh, Youtube has gotten fugly.

Want to upload it to Megaupload/Senspace/Up-file/Yousendit? :kiss: :p

nick_chicane
Sep 12th, 2006, 08:27 PM
I shall have a watch now as i never got to see it! :sad:

Wow, that really was such an impressive comback from 5-1 down in the 1st set tie-breaker! Very impressive indeed! :worship:

andrewbroad
Sep 12th, 2006, 11:36 PM
You wouldnt want Maria as your doubles partner anyway! She'd make a terrible doubles player as she never comes into the net and doesnt have the ability to carress a ball! Its just whack as hard as you can with Maria, and if your right up at the net, the only place that will go is out!

Did you happen to see the point at 0-2 (30/30) in the first set of this year's US Open Women's Singles final? Maria showed amazing touch at the net with a one-handed backhand half-volley dropshot-winner!

In fact, Maria went to the net more than Henin in that match!

Maria was a pretty good doubles-partner for Bepa at Memphis 2004, where they reached the final together.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/zvona/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/zvona/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/shara/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/shara/)

slk45
Sep 13th, 2006, 06:07 AM
I have reviewed my official tape, and Vera did have 2 aces. The first in the 2nd set, serving at 1-3, first point was an ace out wide to Srebotnik. The second ace at 4-4, 15-15, served out wide to Srebotnik, was virtually a clone of the first ace.

Vera had an ace stolen from her at 1-3, 40-30 in the 2nd set. She served out wide to Safina, who managed to touch it with her racquet, but was unable to do anything with it. It was an unreturnable serve, but because Dinara touched it, it doesn't count as an ace. :shout:

Foot's Fingers
Sep 13th, 2006, 09:36 AM
The match is now uploaded on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnDnVNlrj4Y&mode=related&search=

happy watching for those who couldnt see it :p
the beginning is awful, but Vera/Nath got better with every point played

and count the aces :)

Great Thnks!!! :worship:

Epigone
Sep 13th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Maria was a pretty good doubles-partner for Bepa at Memphis 2004, where they reached the final together.I think you'd find that they made the final in spite (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=3108010&postcount=1) of Maria

I was told that every match was pretty much like that :o

Bepa can only carry a team so far :shrug:

nick_chicane
Sep 13th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Did you happen to see the point at 0-2 (30/30) in the first set of this year's US Open Women's Singles final? Maria showed amazing touch at the net with a one-handed backhand half-volley dropshot-winner!

In fact, Maria went to the net more than Henin in that match!

Maria was a pretty good doubles-partner for Bepa at Memphis 2004, where they reached the final together.

A shot every now and then doesnt really cut it! In doubles your at the net all the time and i certainly wouldnt have the confidence in Maria in a full match.

And yes, they did do well at Memphis, but, that was 2 years ago now, thats a very long time!

goldenlox
Sep 16th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Vera plays Sun in China, the winner gets Mauresmo

zvonareva14
Sep 16th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Damn these draws! :fiery: At least she has a good first round and I think Vera should just go out swinging freely against Mauresmo because she hasn't done real well against her in the past... :o

Epigone
Sep 16th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Let's hope that Bepa will be able to improve her record against Amelie to 1-7 :help:

goldenlox
Sep 16th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Vera has to get her ranking up. Other than her ranking, she's had a very good summer.
2 singles titles, 2 slam doubles titles

daniela86
Sep 16th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Damn draw :mad: :mad: Sun is definitly beatable but I don't think Vera is able to beat Mauresmo :sad: but I hope I'm wrong.Please prove me wrong Vera,try your best! Good luck girl :hug: Davai!!! :bigclap: :clap2: :angel:

tobi
Sep 17th, 2006, 12:32 AM
good luck to Vera in Beijing :hug:

Just win your first match Bepa,than think about 2nd round :)

Davai Bepa :hug:

nick_chicane
Sep 17th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Yeah, that draw sucks! Then again, we should be used to that by now, 90% of her draws have sucked all year! :(

Epigone
Sep 17th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Doubles draw

(1) Yan/Zheng vs. Peng/Zvonareva
Chakvetadze/Vesnina vs. Duchevina/Yakimova

(4) Bartoli/Dulko vs. Jankovic/N. Li
Craybas/Tu vs. Qualifier

Molik/Sugiyama vs. Domachowska/Kirilenko
Laine/Martinez-Sanchez vs. (3) Daniilidou/Medina-Garrigues

(WC) Bremond/Mauresmo vs. Dominguez-Lino/Vento-Kabchi
(WC) T. Li/Sun vs. (2) Ruano-Pascual/Suarez

goldenlox
Sep 17th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Bad doubles draw

nick_chicane
Sep 17th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Wow, were doing really well at this draws malarky! :lol:

Youve just got to laugh at how much of a nightmare Vera has had this year with draws! Shes seriously run over someones cat! :lol:

slk45
Sep 18th, 2006, 02:30 AM
Good luck in the China Open, Vera! Keep focusing on one point at a time, and you can make your way through this tournament.

I think it's advantageous for Vera to be facing Mauresmo early on, rather than later in the tournament when Amelie has gotten in a few rounds of match play.

slk45
Sep 18th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Vera holding at #29 in the rankings, and has no pts to defend this week. She is 9.5 pts behind Ai Sugiyama, who has 25 pts to defend, and Vera is 128 pts behind Little Maria, who has 195 pts to defend.

All 3 are playing the China Open. Sugiyama gets a qualifier in the 1st R, and Kirilenko plays Gisela Dulko, apparently on Tuesday. Vera has the spotlight Monday, playing #111 WC Sun Tiantian on Center Court at 7:00pm, while Ai & Maria play each other in doubles late afternoon. Dulko has Monday off.

Vera is looking at Mauresmo in the 2R, and Davenport or Chakvetadze in the QF (3R).

GO BEPA!!! :bounce: :yippee: :bounce: