PDA

View Full Version : Vera Zvonareva rise to the top thread !!!!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

Gowza
Mar 20th, 2003, 09:22 PM
very dissapointing result after such a good week at indian wells but this is vera. hopefully she can hold her ranking for the french open seedings.

LeonHart
Mar 21st, 2003, 02:12 AM
:o Vera what happened?

Leena
Mar 21st, 2003, 02:16 AM
Vera lost to Denisa? :sad:

That's not the worst loss... but it's still disappointing.

King Aaron
Mar 21st, 2003, 04:03 PM
Vera :mad:

LeonHart
Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:06 AM
Next tournament is Family Cup, I'm glad she's starting to play bigger tournaments now :)

LeonHart
Mar 28th, 2003, 02:10 AM
:bounce: Go Vera!

Roxers
Mar 28th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Davai Vera :)

LeonHart
Apr 5th, 2003, 11:55 PM
I think Vera has an excellent draw!!!

Pistolesi, Anna (12)
Qualifier
Schett, Barbara
Suarez, Paola
Zvonareva, Vera
Taylor, Sarah
BYE
Schynder, Patty (8)

Seriously...who is a threat in that draw?? Patty hasn't been playing great lately, neither has Pistolesi. Go Vera!! You can do it!!! :D:D:bounce:

Gowza
Apr 6th, 2003, 01:15 AM
that is a good draw but after that it gets really hard i think.

but i'm just hoping she can get through this section first.

King Aaron
Apr 6th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Paola or Pistolesi will provide the biggest threat.
Paola is a very good clay courter and anything can happen with Pistolesi.

vaiva
Apr 7th, 2003, 06:58 AM
Good luck against Sarah today :D
Davai Vera :D

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 7th, 2003, 03:17 PM
Vera won 6-2 6-4 :bounce: :D :)
well done and now good luck vs Patty

LeonHart
Apr 7th, 2003, 05:20 PM
go vera! :D:bounce:

vaiva
Apr 7th, 2003, 05:28 PM
Well done Vera :bounce:

You can beat Patty
Just believe in it :D

Dava
Apr 7th, 2003, 07:45 PM
VERA DID IT. She will be top 20 before you can say Krasnaroutskaya, Preobrazenskaya, or anyother long Russian name.

Gowza
Apr 7th, 2003, 09:30 PM
i'm glad she did it in staright sets. she seems to be a bit more consistent these days which is great. hopefully she can get past patty. she has a good chance and patty hasn't been playing well either.

bubble
Apr 8th, 2003, 12:30 AM
VERA DID IT. She will be top 20 before you can say Krasnaroutskaya, Preobrazenskaya, or anyother long Russian name.

You should not mention Lina above.. she was hindered by long-term injury last year.

Keep going vera!

LeonHart
Apr 8th, 2003, 03:24 AM
:D Vera! Good luck against Patty!

King Aaron
Apr 8th, 2003, 03:03 PM
Congrats over Sarah. :)
Good luck against Patty!

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 8th, 2003, 05:10 PM
well done Vera :D
she beat Patty 6-2 4-6 6-4 :bounce: :D

congrats and good luck in rd3 :)
wow Vera !!!!!!!!!!!

tenn_ace
Apr 8th, 2003, 05:13 PM
well done Vera...

welcome to the top 30 in the ranking and in the Race!

Dava
Apr 8th, 2003, 05:34 PM
GO GO GO VERA!!!! Congrats I think you're gonna go far in this tournament!

Leena
Apr 8th, 2003, 06:05 PM
VERA!!! :bounce: :) Great win!

Also, thanks for clinching a Top 15 spot for Lena next week. :)

vaiva
Apr 8th, 2003, 08:37 PM

Good luck in the next round :D

Jordan.
Apr 8th, 2003, 09:03 PM
:d

LeonHart
Apr 9th, 2003, 12:43 AM
:D Luv ya Vera!!! :bounce: Make it to the top!

tennisIlove09
Apr 9th, 2003, 06:37 AM
Victorious Vera: Zvonareva Ousts Schnyder From Family Circle Cup
By Brad Falkner
04/09/2003

On a damp, dank, misty morning, Vera Zvonareva emerged from the fog and made 2002 Family Circle Cup finalist Patty Schnyder disappear. Showing the entire spectrum of shots in some engaging rallies, the pair exchanged drop shots, slices, heavy topspin drives and service breaks for nearly two and a half hours before Zvonareva walked away as a 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 victor.

For clay-court fans this was a classic clay court match featuring multiple baseline drops shots, moon balls, and lengthy rallies. In the end, youth prevailed as the 18-year-old Russian won her first career Family Circle Cup match in Charleston.

On the strength of three service breaks, Zvonareva claimed the first set in less than a half an hour. The damp conditions left the balls heavy and streaked by the har-tru surface.

Both players found that drilling winners was about as easy as bowling with a beach ball. Despite the slow conditions that saw 14 service breaks in the match, Zvonareva adjusted to find her strike zone on short shots.

"I didn't really like the conditions at all," Schnyder said. "The ball was heavy. I love hot weather and the ball bouncing well."

The 24-year-old Schnyder bounced back in the second set breaking Zvonareva in the seventh and ninth games and then managed to hold her own serve in the10th game to take the set, 6-4, and even the match on an overhead winner.

The rising Russian, who climbed from a rank of No. 371 at the end of 2001 to No. 45 by the end of 2002, took control early in the decisive set by seizing a 4-2 lead.

With her loopy, left handed forehand finding acute crosscourt angles that pushed Zvonareva wide to her backhand side. Schnyder battled back to level the set at 4-4 before Zvonareva held for 5-4.

Serving to stay in it at 4-5, the Swiss fiercely fought off four match points before finally succumbing on the fifth match point. Schnyder, who beat Jennifer Capriati, Serena Williams, Amelie Mauresmo and Mary Pierce to reach the 2002 final, said Zvonareva outplayed her on the big points.

"I really played pretty O. K.," Schnyder said. "She just played better today."

AKTW
Apr 9th, 2003, 06:45 AM
Congrats Vera! :D
Wow,what a great win!
Good luck :)

tenn_ace
Apr 9th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Serving to stay in it at 4-5, the Swiss fiercely fought off four match points before finally succumbing on the fifth match point. Schnyder, who beat Jennifer Capriati, Serena Williams, Amelie Mauresmo and Mary Pierce to reach the 2002 final, said Zvonareva outplayed her on the big points.

"I really played pretty O. K.," Schnyder said. "She just played better today."

:bounce:

King Aaron
Apr 9th, 2003, 02:17 PM
:D Congrats Vera!

Jordan.
Apr 9th, 2003, 03:49 PM
:D :bounce:

LeonHart
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:33 AM
muahhaha :D :p Vera get the title ok? :)

bubble
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:35 AM
COntinue winning Vera! :)

Havok
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:13 AM
:bounce: :bounce: weuheu Vera :bounce: :bounce:

AKTW
Apr 10th, 2003, 07:30 AM
Good luck against Suarez! :bounce:

King Aaron
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Good luck against Paola!

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 10th, 2003, 06:51 PM
Vera won 6-4 6-4 :bounce: :D :bounce:

wow well done Vera !!!!!!

congrats Vera and good luck vs Lindsay tomorrow

Hurley
Apr 10th, 2003, 06:56 PM
Second Tier I QF in the last three events...she's the anti-Nastya ;)

And now moves up from #33 to #29 in the ranks...but more importantly, moves up from #6 to #4 in the Russian ranks :D

The way she's going, she'll be #1 Russian in no time :eek:

vaiva
Apr 10th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Very impressive from Vera beating Paula on clay in straigth sets :bounce:

Though I won't be so fast to put her as the best Russian in the nearest future ;)

tennisIlove09
Apr 10th, 2003, 08:55 PM
The Tennis Week Interview: Vera Zvonareva

Photo By Cynthia Lum By Brad Falkner
04/10/2003

Vera Zvonareva crafted a captivating Grand Slam debut on the red clay courts of Roland Garros last year. Playing through qualifying to reach the Roland Garros main draw, Zvonareva advanced to the fourth round where she won the first set against Serena Williams before the eventual French Open champion won 12 of the final 13 games to earn a 4-6, 6-0, 6-1 victory.

Despite the crushing end, Zvonareva had made an impressive start. She followed up her French Open performance by reaching her first WTA Tour final at Palermo.

The hard-hitting Moscow native concluded the 2002 season with a 41-14 record and a year-end ranking of No. 45, which was an improvement of 342 places from her 2001 year-end rank.

This year, the two-time Orange Bowl champion has continued her climb up the rankings to her current rank of No. 33. She has scored wins over Meghann Shaughnessy and Ivan Majoli this season and reached the quarterfinals of the Pacific Life Open before falling to Jennifer Capriati. On Tuesday, Zvonareva beat 2002 Family Circle Cup finalist Patty Schnyder, 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 to raise her record to 10-7.

Zvonareva is one of a rapidly growing number of young players emerging from Russia, that is enjoying more than her share of success this year on tour. Zvonareva's striking sky blue eyes illuminate her girlish face, which is often expressive with emotion during our conversation.

While she can be emotionally explosive on the court — occasionally prone to throwing her racquet and yelling at herself after committing an error — I found Zvonareva to be thoughtful, modest, charming and a somewhat shy individual, who expresses herself well in English. Her on court arsenal includes a massive forehand which she can either angle sharply or drive deep into the court.

She is deceptively quick, agile, and possess solid stamina for lengthy clay court rallies. Vera Zvonareva should only get better with experience

Tennis Week: What has been the biggest match or moment in
your tennis development?
Vera Zvonareva: Well, Tuesday's match against Schynder was for sure a great win for me. Patty was playing deep in the court and I was able to hit my angle shots and play inside the court. There were times during the match when I got upset (Zvonareva received a warning for racquet abuse during her match with Schynder, when after losing a point she slammed her racquet into the court). Well actually I got pissed a few times when I lost points that I should have one. When I get angry it doesn't stay with me for long. I can usually refocus for the next point.

TW: Let's talk a little bit about the current state of tennis in Russia. There are now six Russian women ranked inside the top 35 in the world. Do you practice together and do support each other at the tournaments?
VZ: Yes we do support each other. If we have the time, like I did today (Zvonareva had an off day) then we can go and watch each other play. Normally if we are at the same tournament we will practice together. I would say that I am closer to the Russian girls that are near my age (Zvonareva is 18, Elena Bovina is 20, Svetlana Kuznetsova is 17 and Dinara Safina is 16).

TW: Some people might say that a few of the Russian players, well Safin comes to mind, area little passionate about their tennis, would you describe yourself as such?
VZ: You should come to Russia and watch the 12 and under players in the Russian Championships. It is incredible! They are crazy! (laughing) Even the 10 and unders are intense! It's amazing!

TW: Speaking of junior tennis. You are a two-time Orange Bowl champion. Could you please explain the difference between top Junior tennis and the WTA Tour?
VZ: The are many differences. For example you cannot get a way with hitting short balls. If you do they will destroy you. In the pro game you have less time, the ball is coming faster. The whole tempo of play is different. The players are much faster and can anticipate better. Here (on the WTA Tour) they can sense if you are nervous or if you are upset. They take advantage of any weakness that you show on court.

TW: Do you have a favorite surface?
VZ: I grew up playing carpet in Russia. So that is probably my favorite surface. I like playing on all surfaces.

TW: Best and worse aspects of being a professional tennis player?
VZ: I like to travel, but hate planes. For sure the traveling is great. I love playing tennis in so many different locations. I like going to places that have warm weather.

Dava
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:38 PM
Congrats On Your Win Vera!!!!!!

LeonHart
Apr 11th, 2003, 12:50 AM
yay!!! Vera!!!! I knew you could beat Paola!! :D Rack up some points, and defend your RG 4th!

AKTW
Apr 11th, 2003, 06:11 AM
Vera's done something great again! :D
Congratulations!

bubble
Apr 11th, 2003, 06:44 AM
Nice interview :)

Good luck against Lindsay!

Dava
Apr 11th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Good Luck Vera!!! Whip Lindsays Ass!!!

King Aaron
Apr 11th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Well done Vera and thanks for the interview. :)

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 11th, 2003, 04:20 PM
thanx for the interview/report

good luck Vera today vs Lindsay if they ever start.

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 11th, 2003, 06:33 PM
Vera lost 6-7(3) 3-6 :sad: :(

had a few chances to win 1st but she was never ahead
had the lead in alot of games in 2nd set too :(

oh well its been a good week, now follow it up next week :)

vaiva
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:18 AM
Sorry Vera :sad:

But still it was a good match and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. Lindsay, except for some minor instances, played a superb match and there was nothing Vera could do. Just look at the winners Lindsay had.

But I'm very glad for Vera who kept fighting till the last point. She has a big heart and has more control in tight situations.

Great tournament Vera. Congrats on breaking top 30 :bounce:

We love you :hearts:

King Aaron
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Vera :(

Great tournament and good luck next week!

Gowza
Apr 13th, 2003, 01:22 AM
good week vera! even though she lost to davenport i was happy to see that she didn't get blown away by lindsay. good signs that she can still push the top 10 players as she did last year with clijsters and serena, it's only a matter of time before she gets that upset and there will be no stopping her from there.

LeonHart
Apr 13th, 2003, 04:30 AM
Vera's part of Amelia Island draw:

(8) Amanda Coetzer (RSA) vs BYE
Laura Granville (USA) vs Vera Zvonareva (RUS)
Tatiana Panova (RUS) vs Lina Krasnoroutskaya (RUS)
(10) Elena Dementieva (RUS) vs BYE

What a horrible draw...first Laura Granville, who beat Vera last time they played convincingly, and she's not playing any worse. Then we have all those Russians bunched up together in that quarter :(.
I guess it was bound to happen after that awesome draw Vera had in Charleston. :o

Gowza
Apr 13th, 2003, 04:35 AM
vera can beat all those players.

Jordan.
Apr 13th, 2003, 06:13 AM
Its not that bad Leon... :o

Vera can beat Laura now, Vera probaly had an off day when she lost to Laura 6-3 6-1, and this is clay, Laura isnt the best claycourter.. and Vera's improved alot..

Then Amanda, who lost to Granville in Charleston... so that definately says something.. :o

Then Dementieva, Vera can beat Dementieva, but it would be alot harder than her first 2 matches.

Then Hantuchova, LOL, enough said... ;)

So, its not that bad of a draw! Good Luck Vera! :kiss:

vaiva
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Good luck Vera @ AI :D

I just wish the draw were better :mad:

King Aaron
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:52 PM
It's not that bad of a draw. Good luck Vera.

Jordan, Amanda lost to Mary not Laura. ;)

Jordan.
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:37 PM
omg, duh, lol, Sarasota I meant... :o Mary is one of my favorites, how could I forget that? :o

LOL, Go Vera!

Dava
Apr 14th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Its okay she is in the easy half of the tough part of the draw if that makes any sense, cos if she beats Amanda (which I think she will) then she will definatly have a Russian who is or has been a top 30 player.

King Aaron
Apr 14th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Vera down a set to Laura :( :mad:

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Vera won 6-7(3) 6-3 6-1 :bounce: :D

well done Vera :bounce: :D

vaiva
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Congrats Vera and very well done :D:)

Dava
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:10 PM
Well done Vera, Happy Birthday!!!! :worship: :kiss: ;) :D :wavey: :bounce:

Jordan.
Apr 14th, 2003, 09:21 PM
Good fighting! :bounce:

LeonHart
Apr 15th, 2003, 01:07 AM
:D Vera did it!!! Coezter next, bring it on! :p

Leena
Apr 15th, 2003, 01:08 AM
Vera! :bounce::bounce:

Gowza
Apr 15th, 2003, 01:16 AM
good on you vera. now go get amanda!

King Aaron
Apr 15th, 2003, 02:37 PM
:D Well done Vera! :D

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 16th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Vera :sad: lost to Coetzer :(
5-7 6-4 0-6 :sad:
poor Vera :(

Dava
Apr 16th, 2003, 09:05 AM
In know and whats worse is she was 5-3 30-0 up in the first she could have won.

IS Vera playing FED CUP next week?

vaiva
Apr 16th, 2003, 09:28 AM
What a horrible last set :mad:

King Aaron
Apr 16th, 2003, 02:33 PM
:sad: :( Vera

Roxers
Apr 16th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Vera :sad: she could have closed it out :(

Leena
Apr 16th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Vera :sad:

Oh well... make sure to win Bol. :)

[S@nti]
Apr 18th, 2003, 04:46 PM
now win Bol!! u are the 1st seed!

AKTW
Apr 18th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Go Vera :bounce:

tennisIlove09
Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:17 AM
Getting To Know… Vera Zvonareva
April 22, 2003

Getty Images

The prized mantle of No.1 Russian currently belongs to world No.11 Anastasia Myskina, but don’t be surprised it this 18-year-old from Moscow isn’t challenging for it some time soon. Vera Zvonareva’s reputation has gone from strength to strength since winning the prestigious Orange Bowl under-18 title for the first of two times in 2000 as a 16-year-old.

After trying her luck on the ITF Women’s Circuit in 2001 (compiling a 12-9 record), Vera played her first full professional season last year. Qualifying for 2002 Roland Garros (only her sixth career WTA Tour main draw), the No.142-ranked Zvonareva defeated three Top 70 opponents to reach the fourth round in her Grand Slam debut.

There in the round of 16 awaited American world No.3 Serena Williams, a rather daunting prospect for someone who’d never previously played anyone ranked higher than No.33.

Nonetheless, Vera came out with all guns blazing, using her punishing groundstrokes to steal the first set from Williams 64. Of ourse, Williams would go on to win that match and the French Open title, but Vera’s efforts thereafter proved she was no flash in the pan.

Shortly after Wimbledon she would reach her first Tour singles final at Palermo, falling to Mariana Diaz-Oliva in three sets. Then, making her US Open debut, Vera reached the third round, where she led world No.7 Kim Clijsters 61 31 before falling in three sets.

By season’s end, Vera had slashed her WTA Singles Ranking from No.371 to No.45, the equal-best improvement on Tour in 2002 alongside fellow Russian teenager Dinara Safina (No.394 to No.68).

Season 2003 began in impressive fashion, reaching the quarterfinals at her first two events at Auckland and Hobart (where she held two match points on eventual champion Alicia Molik).

Stepping up to Tier I level, Vera reached two quarterfinals in three events, at Indian Wells and Charleston, defeating the likes of Shaughnessy, Schnyder and Suárez en route.

Such consistent results have seen Vera’s ranking continue to drift towards Top 20 territory. She currently sits at No.28, the fourth highest-ranked Russian and one of 13 from that nation to be inside the Top 100 this week.

Much has been made of the increasing success of Russian tennis players - male and female - and it appears Vera Zvonareva will only provide more justification for all the hype.

Notes & Netcords recently caught up with Vera to discuss the prosperous state of Russian tennis, her future goals and shopping habits:

In the past few months you’re going into more matches as the favorite and not the underdog. How have you handled that increased pressure?

When I was playing juniors, I had the same pressure. So I knew a little how to handle it. It’s tougher and harder now, but I still try to do my best on-court.

Out of the Russian teenagers currently making their mark on the WTA Tour (alongside Kuznetsova, Safina and Krasnoroutskaya), you’re currently the highest ranked at No.28.Is there a little bit of competition amongst all of you to do better than each other?

I want all the Russians to do well. It’s competitive for everyone, not just Russians. I still want to be the best, no matter who else is around. But I am really happy when the Russians do well. I grew up with Safina and Kuznetsova and we’ve been at the same tournaments for years.

Many players say they’re most favorite place to visit is home, because they spend so little time there. Apart from home, where in the world would you like to go if you had a couple of weeks off without having to train?

Besides home? I guess somewhere in Russia next to the Black Sea. That way I’m still in my country.

In the 2003 Media Guide you list a 60 60 loss to Nadia Petrova at the age of 8 as your most memorable experience.Since coming onto the Tour, has anything replaced that?!

Yes, playing Serena Williams the first time. That was the first time I played a Top 10 player. I played her at the French Open last year (taking her to three sets) and then she won the tournament!

What CDs are you listening to at the moment?

Russians CDs, Russian pop music. I like regular pop music here in the States, but I don’t know who they are - I just like the songs. I also like old Russian music, from the late ‘80s and early ‘90s.

If you ever daydream about what you’re going to achievein your professional tennis career, what is the one thing (atournament victory, ranking goal) you hope will cometrue?

Winning the Kremlin Cup in Moscow, my home city.

If you were going to treat yourself to something after asuccessful tournament, what would you buy?

That’s hard because everyday I want something different! But after I won the Orange Bowl I bought myself a scooter. That was fun!

VERA ZVONAREVA FACT BOX

Born: 7 September 1984 in Moscow, Russia

Lives: Moscow, Russia

Plays: Right-handed (two-handed backhand)

WTA Ranking: No.28 (singles); No.624 (doubles)

Career highlights: Runner-up 2002 Palermo; fourth round 2002 RolandGarros; quarterfinalist 2003 Indian Wells and Charleston; winnerof 18/u Orange Bowl in 2000 and 2001

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:35 AM
thanx for the interview :)

Jordan.
Apr 23rd, 2003, 04:30 PM
:bounce: Go Vera! :bounce:

LeonHart
Apr 28th, 2003, 12:49 AM
Vera is the 3rd Seed in Bol, Croatia! Just missing a BYE by 1 seed. Its ok, she plays a qualifier first round, Com'on Vera!!

Here's her part of the draw:

(3)Vera Zvonareva
Qualifier

Ant. Serra Zaneti
E. Birnerova

Qualifer
A. Roesch

L. Cervanova
(8)P. Mandula

Win your first tournament Vera! :kiss:

Jordan.
Apr 28th, 2003, 04:06 AM
she will be playing doubles with Maria Kirilenko also! they received a WC into qualifying and beat the #2 seeded team in qualifying! go girls!

Dava
Apr 28th, 2003, 06:17 PM
I think this could be Vera first title, unless she plays like she doesnt want it to be, she has beaten the No1 seed, so she should not be intmidated by anyone in the draw.

LeonHart
Apr 29th, 2003, 02:01 AM
:eek: Omg..she plays doubles with Maria K.?? This is great! :D

Jordan.
Apr 29th, 2003, 02:05 AM
they qualified with a win over #1 seed 4-6 6-3 6-4!

Hikaru
Apr 29th, 2003, 02:43 AM
http://members.tripod.co.jp/asiasemi/vera-palermo02.jpg
palermo02

Jordan.
Apr 29th, 2003, 03:41 AM
:eek: :D Beautiful pic!

Thanks!

Gowza
Apr 29th, 2003, 10:47 AM
vera just beat petra dizdar of croatia in the first round of the croatian bol ladies open. vera won 6-0 6-3 a pretty strong win.

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 29th, 2003, 11:17 AM
well done Vera :D :)

Dava
Apr 29th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Good win Vera, you can win this!!!

vaiva
Apr 29th, 2003, 11:53 AM
That was pretty easy :)

Good start to the tournament Vera. Now go and grab that title ;)

King Aaron
Apr 29th, 2003, 03:16 PM
Vera :)
Good luck for the rest of the tourney.

AKTW
Apr 29th, 2003, 03:20 PM
Go Vera!
You can win this! :)

Jordan.
Apr 29th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Go Vera! Win BOTH titles! ;) :D

Dava
Apr 29th, 2003, 08:21 PM
Here Vera schedule for tomoz!!

Court 5 - Matches start at 11.00 hrs
De Beer/Freye vs. Zvonareva/Kirilenko
n/b 12.00 hrs Groenefeld vs. Birnerova
f/b Mandula/Wartusch vs. Poutchek/Rodionova

Gowza
Apr 30th, 2003, 12:32 AM
vera plays birnerova or groenfeld in the 2nd round if i'm not mistaken. birnerova has had trouble jumping from juniors to the pro tour so i would expect vera to win easily in that. groenfeld has done well on the challenger circuit and might give vera some trouble but vera can handle it, i'd still say a 2 set win which ever player she facces.

good luck vera in the next round!

LeonHart
Apr 30th, 2003, 04:37 AM
Vera!! :D Great job!

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 30th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Vera plays Anna-Lena in rd2 tomorrow

good luck Vera :)
take this in two sets :)

only meet was in December 2001, Vera came back from set down to win in 3 in Mexico on hard.

King Aaron
Apr 30th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Vera/Masha won :D
Good luck against Anna-Lena tomorrow.

Dava
Apr 30th, 2003, 10:47 PM
Yay and to think theyhad to qualify!!!

Anyway Vera is going to have to be up early again tomoz she is first up on court again!!! :eek:

Centre Court -Matches start at 12.00 hrs
Zvonareva vs. Groenefeld
at 15.00 hrs Schnyder vs. Leon Garcia
f/b Nagyova vs. Sanchez Lorenzo

LeonHart
May 1st, 2003, 02:26 AM
YES!!! Maria/Vera won their first round!!! Im soo happy!!! :D

Jordan.
May 1st, 2003, 02:34 AM
:D They should be permanent partners when Maria is able to play as much as she wants! :D Go Vera!!

TheBoiledEgg
May 1st, 2003, 12:36 PM
well done Vera and PHEW !!!!!!!!!!
she left it even closer this time

2-6 6-3 7-6(8) :bounce:
well done Vera !!!!!!!!!

good luck in QF

Roxers
May 1st, 2003, 12:59 PM
well done Vera :)

vaiva
May 1st, 2003, 02:03 PM
phew Vera, you should have kept that lead in the final set. still, a win is a win.

good look in quarters ;):D

bubble
May 1st, 2003, 02:24 PM
Go Vera!
Your 1st title is waiting... :)

King Aaron
May 1st, 2003, 03:04 PM
Well done Vera :D

Jordan.
May 1st, 2003, 03:51 PM
:o :o Too scary Vera :p

Go Vera!!! Win the title!

Dava
May 1st, 2003, 04:06 PM
ARGHH!!! Thank God I did not follow that on live scores I would have died of a heart attack!!

AKTW
May 1st, 2003, 04:22 PM
Go Vera! :bounce:
First title! ;)

katrientje
May 1st, 2003, 05:16 PM
nice picture from vera in Bol last year
http://www.wtatour.com/assets/story_image/ZvonarSvenssonFarewellDin05.jpg

AKTW
May 1st, 2003, 05:26 PM
Vera looks cute in this pic :) :
http://www.wtatour.com/assets/story_image/SeedsAtBeach043003.jpg

Jordan.
May 1st, 2003, 09:58 PM
:D :bounce:

LeonHart
May 2nd, 2003, 05:31 AM
Vera looks :hearts:

TheBoiledEgg
May 2nd, 2003, 03:47 PM
Vera into Semis :D :D
she won 6-1 6-1 :bounce: :D

good luck vs Sam Reeves tomorrow

vaiva
May 2nd, 2003, 03:58 PM
GO all the way to the final and further :D;)

Jordan.
May 2nd, 2003, 04:10 PM
:d

King Aaron
May 2nd, 2003, 05:22 PM
:D Well done Vera!

LeonHart
May 2nd, 2003, 07:56 PM
omg...2 more wins until her first title!! :D

AKTW
May 3rd, 2003, 06:45 AM
First title is waiting for you! :D
Keep it up!
Good luck Vera! :bounce:

Calliope.
May 3rd, 2003, 12:30 PM
Go Vera! :D :bounce:

Dava
May 3rd, 2003, 01:32 PM
Well done Vera, you can win this title, you are ranked so much higher then your opponent

GOGO VERA!!

TheBoiledEgg
May 3rd, 2003, 01:32 PM
Vera into final :D:D
6-3 6-4 win over Reeves

now go and take the title tomorrow :) ;)

vaiva
May 3rd, 2003, 01:37 PM
Well done Vera :)

Good luck tomorrow and grab that title :)

King Aaron
May 3rd, 2003, 05:07 PM
:D Good luck tomorrow!

LeonHart
May 3rd, 2003, 06:35 PM
yay..she's in the final! :D:bounce:

auntie janie
May 3rd, 2003, 06:49 PM
Good Luck, Vera!!! :D :D :D
Seize your opportunity with both hands! :)

We're all here supporting you! You can do it! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

TheBoiledEgg
May 4th, 2003, 01:21 PM
WOW :)

congrats Vera on your 1st title :bounce: :D

6-1 6-3 win over Martinez-Granados

way to go Vera !!!!!!!!
just keep on rising :)

auntie janie
May 4th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Congrats, Vera!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
We are SO proud of you, kid! :kiss:

snoop
May 4th, 2003, 01:49 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

:D Congrats Vera :kiss: Very very well done :)

vaiva
May 4th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Well done Vera :bounce: :kiss: :bounce:

May this win and special moments holding the trophy inspire you for many more titles to come ;)

Jordan.
May 4th, 2003, 02:00 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :sad:

Congratulations Vera!!!! :D

bubble
May 4th, 2003, 04:00 PM
u did us proud, Vera!

Congrats for such a job well done!

:worship:

King Aaron
May 4th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Congratulations Vera! :D

AKTW
May 4th, 2003, 04:18 PM
I am really happy at this moment! :D
Well done Vera!Congratulations! :bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
May 4th, 2003, 04:20 PM
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20030504/i/1052062426.3691233360.jpg

Dava
May 4th, 2003, 04:38 PM
Well done Vera I am sooo happy you have made my very shitty day!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

YEAHH!!!!

Dava
May 4th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Just before we get carried away in the excitment, Vera has a crappy draw for Berlin, she will have Amelie in the second round :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

LeonHart
May 4th, 2003, 05:15 PM
That pic is sooooooooooo cute :hearts:

Well done Vera!!! Muah!:kiss:

Jordan.
May 4th, 2003, 06:28 PM
I bet she's full on confidence right now! She's gonna do great next week! ;) Awwwww, I love the pic! :D Good luck Vera!

the cat
May 4th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Congratulations to Vera Zvonareva on winning her first WTA title! :bounce: I'm glad she proved to those(they know who they are) who thought she was too emotional that they were wrong! I love Vera's fire and desire! :D I only wish more Russian girls played with the passion that Vera does.

sartrista7
May 4th, 2003, 07:20 PM
ooohhhh Vera looks good with a trophy in her hands :hearts: Congrats kiddo, make this the first of many :D

LeonHart
May 4th, 2003, 10:44 PM
Since Venus withdrew, Vera faces Myskina 2nd round rather than Mauresmo *phew* I think she'll have a better chance with Myskina than Momo.
Here's her draw:

Myskina - BYE

V.Zvonareva vs. M.Casanova

N.Petrova vs. N.Neffa-De Los Rios

A.Bachmann vs. E. Daniilidou

GOOD LUCK VERA!

Jordan.
May 4th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Go Vera!!! Great draw now!

TheBoiledEgg
May 6th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Vera beat Myriam 3-6 6-2 6-2 :D :D

well done Vera :):)

Jordan.
May 6th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Well done Vera!

Roxers
May 6th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Good job Vera :)

King Aaron
May 6th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Congrats Vera. :)

vaiva
May 6th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Good win Vera :)
Good luck in the next round

Dava
May 6th, 2003, 06:31 PM
Congrats Vera, please do well!!!!!!!!!!!! I think you can win this match if you just believe!!! :kiss:

LeonHart
May 6th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Good luck Vera :kiss:

and this thread turned into 4 stars!! :D

Jordan.
May 6th, 2003, 08:39 PM
Win the next round, PLEASE! :o

LeonHart
May 7th, 2003, 05:10 AM
Win the next round, PLEASE! :o
yes..please Vera =x

TheBoiledEgg
May 7th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Vera won 6-1 6-2 :eek:
awesome win over Nastya :)
congrats Vera and closer to top 20

hope its Nadya in rd3

Leena
May 7th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Vera! :bounce: Impressive!

That win should move her up to #22.

Stop winning now. :p

bubble
May 7th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Good luck Vera :kiss:

and this thread turned into 4 stars!! :D

Heehee, u noticed... :p
When I saw that it was 3 stars, I got mad and went to vote for this thread... managed to improve the overall.. ;)

bubble
May 7th, 2003, 12:53 PM
btw , Well done Vera!

King Aaron
May 7th, 2003, 01:35 PM
:bounce: :D Impressive stuff Vera!
Lol Leena.

vaiva
May 7th, 2003, 01:43 PM
That was ruthless Vera ;)
Well done and good luck

LeonHart
May 7th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Vera won 6-1 6-2 :eek:
awesome win over Nastya :)
congrats Vera and closer to top 20

hope its Nadya in rd3
Nadya is up 5-1 in the first set :o. Com'on Nadia pull an upset!

AKTW
May 7th, 2003, 05:39 PM
It's surprising!
Go Vera go! :bounce:

Dava
May 7th, 2003, 07:06 PM
GO VERA :bounce:

She is playing so well all this year, she is rolling (whoo) rolling (whoo) rolling like a river!!!

Sorry Im just very happy at the momment.

Dava
May 7th, 2003, 07:06 PM
GO VERA :bounce:

She is playing so well all this year, she is rolling (whoo) rolling (whoo) rolling like a river!!!

Sorry Im just very happy at the momment.

Vera had Eleni in the second round.

LeonHart
May 7th, 2003, 10:28 PM
I hope Vera can pull this out..she lost to Eleni last time, but on Rebound.

Hurley
May 8th, 2003, 01:26 AM
Vera still at #25...needs to win another to move up.

I think and hope she can :D

Havok
May 8th, 2003, 01:28 AM
Vera U Rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jordan.
May 8th, 2003, 02:29 AM
I hope Vera beats Eleni, I want her to win this! :fiery:

What will be her ranking if she beats Eleni? :wavey:

LeonHart
May 8th, 2003, 03:53 AM
that would be AWESOME if she moved to top 20 by Roland Garros!! Com'on Vera!

AKTW
May 8th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Good luck against Eleni! :bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
May 8th, 2003, 03:21 PM
Vera won again 7-5 4-6 6-4 :bounce: :D:)

well done Vera :) :D
great stuff Vera :)

good luck in QF vs Justine

Leena
May 8th, 2003, 03:32 PM
Vera's at #21 or #22 now... I don't know how many points Anna P. gets.

Either way, if Vera beats Juju... she moves ahead of Bovina. :sad:

Jordan.
May 8th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Wow Vera :worship:

Hurley
May 8th, 2003, 05:15 PM
Either way, if Vera beats Juju... she moves ahead of Bovina. :sad:

No, she doesn't. :) Not yet, anyway :devil:

20 (16) E. BOVINA 1374.50
21 (22) L. RAYMOND 1263.50
22 (25) V. ZVONAREVA 1237.75 BERLIN QF 157
23 (20) A. PISTOLESI 1213.00
24 (23) N. DECHY 1189.00

Three consecutive Tier I quarterfinals :D

Hurley
May 8th, 2003, 05:21 PM
The way she's going, she'll be #1 Russian in no time :eek:

I stand by it. She'll be #1 Russian at the end of the year.

Also...not three consecutive Tier I quarterfinals, but three of the last four (lost 1R in Miami). Still pretty great :D

Leena
May 8th, 2003, 05:47 PM
No, she doesn't. :) Not yet, anyway :devil:

20 (16) E. BOVINA 1374.50
21 (22) L. RAYMOND 1263.50
22 (25) V. ZVONAREVA 1237.75 BERLIN QF 157
23 (20) A. PISTOLESI 1213.00
24 (23) N. DECHY 1189.00

Three consecutive Tier I quarterfinals :D
You're right... I miscalculated her 1st round win. :p

Oh well. :)

Even if Vera got ahead of Lena this week... Lena would have caught her after RG. :)

Healthy Lena = wipes the floor with Vera. :devil:

Roxers
May 8th, 2003, 06:08 PM
congrats Vera for this great win :bounce: :D and good luck in QF!

Dava
May 8th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Congrats Vera

GO FORTH AND WHIP HENIN ARSE

LeonHart
May 8th, 2003, 11:42 PM
Way to go Vera!!! :D She has improved soo much...im so happy

AKTW
May 9th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Well done Vera! :D
Keep going!

King Aaron
May 9th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Vera lost to Justine 6-4, 7-5. :(

AKTW
May 9th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Despite the loss,I think Vera played well.
This is a good week for her.

vaiva
May 9th, 2003, 05:23 PM
It's no shame to lose to Justine, the defending champ, by this scoreline. Vera also broke Juju when she was serving for the match at 5-4 in the second, I think. Soon she'll learn how to turn these big matches around :)

Another good run at Tier I Vera :) ;)
She's getting stonger and tougher to beat on clay ;)

TheBoiledEgg
May 9th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Vera :sad: :(:(
but she came close in 2nd after a great fightback

now rest up well before RG :)

Jordan.
May 9th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Vera was down 5-1 in the 2nd actually...

Dava
May 9th, 2003, 10:10 PM
Great run of 8 matches, another assualt on the rankings, I am so proud of Vera!!!! Another lesson for her.

CJ07
May 9th, 2003, 10:35 PM
you'll get there Vera, finish the year in the top 12!

LeonHart
May 10th, 2003, 03:02 AM
aww Vera :(. Rest up for Roland Garros and make a splash there :D

AKTW
May 11th, 2003, 08:43 AM
Vera can defend her points at RG. :)

King Aaron
May 11th, 2003, 04:35 PM
:) Good luck at RG!!
Will she play next week? (not Rome)

Jordan.
May 11th, 2003, 05:40 PM
She's playing Strasbourg, #7 seed there :)

King Aaron
May 12th, 2003, 04:26 PM
:) Good luck there Vera!

Dava
May 17th, 2003, 09:43 PM
Dokic (1) -- bye
Golovin (WC) vs. Q
Q vs. Granville
Matevzic vs Bovina (5)

Daniilidou (4) vs. Krasnoroutskaya
Bartoli vs. Beigbeder (WC)
Pisnik vs. Q
Razzano vs. Zvonareva (6)

Likhovtseva (8) vs. Kruger
Callens vs. Harkleroad
Mikaelian vs. Q
Loit vs. Dementieva (3)

Farina Elia (7) vs. Cho
An. Barna vs. Cohen Aloro
Benesova vs. Morariu
Myskina (2) -- bye

Vera has a really tough draw, Razzano, Pisnik, Lina K and Eleni all within the first half. scheech!"!

AKTW
May 18th, 2003, 05:54 AM
Good luck Vera! :)

Jordan.
May 19th, 2003, 07:49 AM
Vera/Lina def. (1) Yan/Zheng 8-4 :bounce:

AKTW
May 19th, 2003, 08:50 AM
Go Vera and Lina! :) :bounce:

Dava
May 19th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Go Vera!!

Dava
May 20th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Vera wins 6-0 6-4 :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
May 20th, 2003, 04:48 PM
well done Vera :D :) :)

Jordan.
May 20th, 2003, 08:49 PM

bubble
May 21st, 2003, 01:33 AM
solid win Vera! :)

AKTW
May 21st, 2003, 07:27 AM
Impressive. :)
Go Vera! :bounce:

Dava
May 21st, 2003, 10:44 AM
VERA WINS AGAIN

def Pisnik 6-1 6-0 :eek: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :D

snoop
May 21st, 2003, 10:49 AM
what a win :eek: :D yesterday Tina gave a bagel, today she received

TheBoiledEgg
May 21st, 2003, 10:59 AM
wow Vera :) :)
great win Vera :):)

Roxers
May 21st, 2003, 02:12 PM
:eek: :D what a win! Great match Vera :bounce:

bubble
May 21st, 2003, 02:16 PM
wow, another bagel...
Vera the bagel princess... :P

Well done and keep going!
Now tat elena D has lost, Vera is my fav to win this whole thing.

Jordan.
May 21st, 2003, 03:19 PM
Wow, I was totally shocked :eek:

Well done Vera! Win the title!

Ms. Kournikova
May 21st, 2003, 03:21 PM
Vera was just lucky.

She's so much larger than I am. Cow.

Jordan.
May 21st, 2003, 03:47 PM
pffffffff, you sound awfully familiar..

LeonHart
May 21st, 2003, 03:55 PM
Com'on Vera win this title!!! Then win Roland Garros too! :angel: :p

vaiva
May 21st, 2003, 04:50 PM
Vera seems to be on fire in this tourney :)
Way to go girl ;)

ys
May 21st, 2003, 08:59 PM
INterview with Vera in Russian..

http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/default.asp?p=2&date=2003/5/22&id=112596

She seems to be nice, bright and down-to-earth girl..

It's going to be interesting how is she going to perform in Paris. It's the first Grand Slam where she will play with big expectations. Nastya and Alyona could not perform well under pressure in their first Slams where she played as Top 20 players..

Jordan.
May 21st, 2003, 09:11 PM
oooooooo, I wish I could understand Russian! :sad:

thanks ys.... i'll try to find a way to translate it :o

Dava
May 21st, 2003, 09:28 PM
Well vera draw just had a gapping whole stabbed into it so there so there is no reason why she cant take this title, especially since she spanked Ana M's pretty arse all the way home.

Shes first o court tommorow

GO VERA

LeonHart
May 21st, 2003, 11:11 PM
Vera/Lina won their doubles 6-2, 2-6, 6-2 :D :bounce:

vaiva
May 21st, 2003, 11:23 PM
Thanks ys for the link :kiss:

Gowza
May 22nd, 2003, 03:19 AM
c'mon vera get some revenge for lina and also win it for yourself. keep the prep work coming for RG.

AKTW
May 22nd, 2003, 02:09 PM
Vera is really playing very well! :D

Dava
May 22nd, 2003, 03:36 PM
Vera wins 6-1 6-2

Another crushing win, she looks h-h-h-hot to take this title!!!

TheBoiledEgg
May 22nd, 2003, 03:40 PM
well done Vera :D :D
great stuff indeed :):)
and thank you for this win ;)

Jordan.
May 22nd, 2003, 03:58 PM
amazing. simply amazing.

:rolleyes: :p

Ms. Kournikova
May 22nd, 2003, 04:00 PM
Congrats on reaching the Top 20, Vera.

I cry now.

vaiva
May 22nd, 2003, 07:58 PM
Cool Vera!

Go all the way for the title :D

AKTW
May 23rd, 2003, 10:00 AM
All Russian girls have been victims. :sad:
Vera,you're the only survivor.Go Vera go! :bounce:

Jordan.
May 23rd, 2003, 02:11 PM
Sprem def. Vera 3-6 6-3 6-4

Well done Vera :rolleyes: :sad:

TheBoiledEgg
May 23rd, 2003, 02:21 PM
Vera :sad: :sad: :(
should have won this, but i kinda knew it was gonna be tough.

good luck Vera in Paris now :)

King Aaron
May 23rd, 2003, 04:52 PM
Good luck in RG now.

Dava
May 23rd, 2003, 05:57 PM
Good luck Vera in RG (but she has been screwed over with her draw especially with Elena D)

LeonHart
May 23rd, 2003, 10:13 PM
Vera could meet Elena D. in the third round, then VENUS! Vera can pull an upset here! ;)

AKTW
May 24th, 2003, 05:46 AM
Sprem :eek:
Strasbourg is unlucky for all Russian girls.
Better luck at RG!(Alyona in the 3rd round :sad: )

the cat
May 24th, 2003, 11:54 PM
Jordan, don't be so hard on Vera. She was the favorite in that match. But that's a different kind of pressure for Vera to deal with. And she did not deal with it well. I consider that match a learning experience for Vera. She needs to get used to being the favorite in alot of her matches.

Jordan.
May 25th, 2003, 12:27 AM
Never thought of it that way, thanks for enlightening me. ;)

the cat
May 25th, 2003, 01:38 PM
You're welcome! :)

Jordan, I admire Vera's tenaciousness on the court. I only wish all of the female Russian tennis players had Vera's great fighting spirit and champions heart! If they did, they would all be better tennis players than they are! :D

TheBoiledEgg
May 27th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Vera won 6-1 6-3 :D :D :)

good luck in rd2

Jordan.
May 27th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Vamos Vera!

vaiva
May 27th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Great score Vera!

Well done :D ;)

Roxers
May 27th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Great job Vera :D :D

King Aaron
May 27th, 2003, 03:38 PM
Well done Vera. :D

Dava
May 27th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Great job Vera, with Elena D (:-() out of the way the draw has really opened up for you!

Jordan.
May 27th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Go Vera!! :D

LeonHart
May 28th, 2003, 01:34 AM
Go all the way! :D

AKTW
May 28th, 2003, 08:19 AM
Keep going Vera! :)

Dava
May 28th, 2003, 08:04 PM
Good luck Vera for tommorow

Please win!!!

Dava
May 29th, 2003, 06:19 PM
VERA WINS!!!

She has a good draw, and after her performance against Serena last year and Venus' performance against Dominikovic this year, I can't help but get excited!!

TheBoiledEgg
May 29th, 2003, 06:30 PM
well done :D

into rd3 :D :D :bounce:

now good luck there vs Maria Antonia Sanchez

Roxers
May 29th, 2003, 08:13 PM
great win Vera :bounce: :D

bubble
May 30th, 2003, 01:12 AM
Yeah, with Vera playing so strongly this year, there may be a good chance for her to go far.

Go Vera!

Jordan.
May 30th, 2003, 02:22 AM

vaiva
May 30th, 2003, 06:34 AM
Well done Vera, don't stop :) ;)

AKTW
May 30th, 2003, 09:22 AM
:D :D
Vera must through to the fourth round at least!

King Aaron
May 30th, 2003, 02:30 PM
:) Good luck against Maria! :)

Jordan.
May 31st, 2003, 10:45 AM
4th round again, woohoo! Take out Venus!!!