PDA

View Full Version : Vera Zvonareva rise to the top thread !!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

pav
Feb 16th, 2005, 05:28 AM
Ghetto Images has a pic of Bepa biting her racquet :rolls:

Are AirCarbon racquet frames on the WTA's anti-doping list? :D

Could everyone please keep a lookout for an un-watermarked pic so that it can be posted here? :angel:
That is just the cutest pic!

Epigone
Feb 16th, 2005, 05:48 AM
That is just the cutest pic!Yep, it's great. She reminds me of Bugs Bunny :D

It's interesting to see that she has changed the colour of her grip from purple to white. Is there some meaning behind this? :scratch:

She also has the middle finger on her right hand taped (I hope there is no problem), and the tape on her left wrist looks different for some reason. It looks as if something could be written on it, although it's hard to tell from that picture.

pav
Feb 16th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Yep, it's great. She reminds me of Bugs Bunny :D

It's interesting to see that she has changed the colour of her grip from purple to white. Is there some meaning behind this? :scratch:

She also has the middle finger on her right hand taped (I hope there is no problem), and the tape on her left wrist looks different for some reason. It looks as if something could be written on it, although it's hard to tell from that picture.She used to wear a real workmanlike double BH protector that came half over Her hand and with a bit of tape round it as in this pic, Bepabiter seems to be more 'ladylike' these days

Epigone
Feb 16th, 2005, 07:16 AM
She used to wear a real workmanlike double BH protector that came half over Her hand and with a bit of tape round it as in this pic, Bepabiter seems to be more 'ladylike' these days:lol: So true! I thought that she fashioned it out of things that she found in a plumber's toolbox.

I'd like her to decorate the tape with some interesting doodles or colours to liven it up a bit :D

Epigone
Feb 16th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Here is a really good article on Bepa in Memphis source (http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/tennis/article/0,1426,MCA_1756_3551555,00.html)
Catching up on time
Defending champion fights jet lag, but still cruises into second round

By Zack McMillin
February 16, 2005

Official time at the Stadium Court of Memphis's Racquet Club showed 1:15 p.m., but Vera Zvonareva's internal clock was stuck somewhere between 10:15 p.m. Tuesday and 2:15 a.m. Wednesday.

The defending Cellular South Cup champion has actually been in Memphis since Thursday, but a nasty case of jetlag has left her body stranded in a neverland betwixt Thailand, Moscow and Memphis.

''I'm still getting back,'' Zvonareva said after her 6-3, 6-1 victory over Michaela Pastikova on Tuesday. ''I think it's the worst jetlag I've ever had.''

Even though the Racquet Club generates good vibes for the 11th-ranked player in the world, it took Zvonareva six games to settle into dominating form against Pastikova, the 89th player in the world from the Czech Republic.

By winning eight straight games, Zvonareva cruised into the second round, where she will play Severine Beltrame of France, the 108th-ranked player in the world.

Though Zvonareva doesn't project to face a player ranked higher than Pastikova's No. 89 until the semifinals, experience tells the 20-year-old Russian that winning a second straight Memphis title will mean some adversity along the way.

''Of course, even when I play juniors, I never won a tournament where everything was easy, you know,'' Zvonareva said. ''Nothing was perfect last year but I think I was playing really good, and especially in the finals it was a great match.''

Last year, Zvonareva did not leave the Racquet Club until sometime after 2 a.m. on Sunday, when she and doubles partner Maria Sharapova finally succumbed, in the final, to Asa Svensson and Meilen Tu.

Earlier that night -- when it was still Saturday -- Zvonareva had survived three match points to topple two-time defending champion Lisa Raymond, 4-6, 6-4, 7-5, and gain her second WTA title.

It was grueling and exhilarating all at once, and ended a week in which Zvonareva also played a match with tissue jammed up one nostril to staunch a nosebleed.

It was in that match, a tight 7-5, 6-3 win over Gisela Dulko on a side court, that Memphis fans saw the fiery side of Zvonareva often displays during matches. Off the court, Zvonareva is polite and very even-tempered, but she unleashes her emotions on the court.

Sometimes that means a loud, Russian exclamation bemoaning a missed shot. Late in Tuesday's match, after Pastikova ran her ragged to win a point, Zvonareva let go an a seemingly exasperated groan.

When it was over, she raised her racket and applauded the fans all around, as if to say: ''Good to be back, Memphis.''

''I think it's most important to be yourself on the court and have some personality,'' said Zvonareva. ''If you are just so tight and you are not letting your personality out on the court, you are not going to be able to play your best tennis and there's nothing special out there with that person.

''Each player is different and you have to show yourself.''Man, that must be one major case of jet lag if she is still feeling it half a week after arriving :eek:

It's also interesting to see that the article recounts the "tissue up the nostril" match. I don't recall this being an issue at any other matches last year, but we hardly ever hear anything about Bepa's matches, so who knows :shrug:

Daniel
Feb 16th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Good luck Vera in 2R , nice article sguys : D :D

goldenlox
Feb 16th, 2005, 02:10 PM
I'm glad Vera is showing her emotions on the court. Be yourself.

Epigone
Feb 16th, 2005, 02:14 PM
I'm glad Vera is showing her emotions on the court. Be yourself.Is Bepa herself on court, or is she herself off court?

Those are two quite different personalities.

goldenlox
Feb 16th, 2005, 02:17 PM
On the court, she's herself. Off the court, she hides her real feelings.

Epigone
Feb 16th, 2005, 02:40 PM
On the court, she's herself. Off the court, she hides her real feelings.Very interesting :)

I agree with your point that she she hides her real feelings off court to some degree. I think that that she sometimes gives evasive answers when uncomfortable questions are posed to her. She gives the impression that everything is fine, when what happens on court suggests that it isn't.

However, I believe that some of the Bepa that we see on court is also not her. I think that it's something like white line fever or road rage, in that she displays traits that are not part of her usual make up when she's on court.

In the press conference in Warsaw last year, she said that you can be a nice person on court, and you'll lose all the matches. So, are some of the things we see on a court a deliberate attempt to "not be a nice person", or are they instinctive reactions?

goldenlox
Feb 16th, 2005, 02:45 PM
I've been telling you all along, Vera has at times played great tennis while showing her emotions.
That hasn't been the problem.
Lack of consistency, and not peaking at the right moments - that's held her back.

Epigone
Feb 16th, 2005, 03:01 PM
I've been telling you all along, Vera has at times played great tennis while showing her emotions.
That hasn't been the problem.
Lack of consistency, and not peaking at the right moments - that's held her back.She was playing great tennis up to and including the US Open, then got to the 4th round and imploded. She was showing her full range of negative emotions, and doing so absolutely wrecked the match for her. There are numerous other times where her emotions have brought her unstuck.

Just because she has managed to battle through some of these meltdowns doesn't mean that they help her tennis. I would contend that without the :crying2: in these matches, she would have won some of the matches that she lost, and won the matches that she did win even more convincingly.

goldenlox
Feb 16th, 2005, 03:04 PM
I didn't see that US Open match.
But the match in San Diego with Anastasia had a lot of emotions, in all directions.
And Vera showed emotions, and had a nosebleed, when she beat Maria in Montreal.

Epigone
Feb 16th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Ah, so she did have another nosebleed last year :sad:

I'm not saying that Bepa showing her emotions is a bad thing. I'm saying that the way that her emotions are released doesn't normally help her play. She has to find a constructive way to show her emotions.

If you read the interview with Lex, he talks about this.

pav
Feb 16th, 2005, 05:45 PM
There was a bloke down the track a bit here, He was very keen on showjumping, and quite good, but once He knocked off a rail He would start muttering and pulling on the reins and generally letting that one cock-up bugger up the rest of His round, He was the same when He learnt to drive a truck with a Road Ranger gearbox, one missed gear and about 5 kms down the road He was still going on about it,I think elite Sportspeople have got to learn to quickly move on after a cock-up (easier said than done!)

Oh Oh got to shift to zvonareva .com I've heard a Hantfan is about to hack this site!!

goldenlox
Feb 16th, 2005, 05:50 PM
I'm not sure what you said, but Vera sounds very positive in her Memphis interview, and is playing Beltrame in a few minutes.

Shoulderpova
Feb 16th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Bepa leads 4-1 in 1st set :D
C'mon Bepa :bounce::bigclap:

vaiva
Feb 16th, 2005, 07:59 PM
And now in the TB. Vera :help:

KV
Feb 16th, 2005, 08:06 PM
About time she won the TB 7-0

Epigone
Feb 16th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Bepa finally gets the break, and then holds :D

7-6 (0) 4-2*

Break!

Epigone
Feb 16th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Bepa broke in the final game (on her 2nd MP) to take the match 7-6(0) 6-3 :worship:

She was shaky after leading 4-1 in the 1st, but she held it all together to take the victory.

Once again, she got over 60% of 1st serves in (including 71% in the 2nd set), with 6 aces and 4 DFs. However, her serve was under much more pressure than it was in the 1st round, so it's hard to know what to make of these numbers.

KV
Feb 16th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Okay win :D

pav
Feb 16th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Bepa broke in the final game (on her 2nd MP) to take the match 7-6(0) 6-3 :worship:

She was shaky after leading 4-1 in the 1st, but she held it all together to take the victory.

Once again, she got over 60% of 1st serves in (including 71% in the 2nd set), with 6 aces and 4 DFs. However, her serve was under much more pressure than it was in the 1st round, so it's hard to know what to make of these numbers.
As I just said in GM very interesting stats ,after watching the scoreboard ,I thought Bepa's 1st serve % would be less, but both served up some aces and served not bad, so both seemed to have played well,as You said Bepa was having problems holding for a while in the middle, but then had an easy TB win

Epigone
Feb 16th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Bepa faced 8 BPs in this match, compared with 0 in the 1st round. The good thing is that Beltrame only converted 1/8 BP. Bepa is usually pretty good at saving BPs, but I don't like seeing 15-40 scores pop up on the scoreboard :o

I guess that as long as she isn't dishing up lots of double faults every match, and especially on break points, we should be happy with how things are going. However, I want to see that 1st serve percentage up around 65% for the rest of the tournament. If she can do that, it will make life much easier for her.

Gowza
Feb 16th, 2005, 10:18 PM
good that she got the win, still doesnt look as tho she is all that comfortable out their judging from the scoreline.

Epigone
Feb 17th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Zvonareva Reaches QF in Memphis
MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Top seed Vera Zvonareva battled through a tough first set and eventually landed a spot in the quarterfinals at the Regions Morgan Keegan Championships & the Cellular South Cup.

The defending Memphis champion pulled through a first set tie-break with France's Severine Beltrame and got a break in the second for the 76(0) 63 victory.

"I was trying to rush too much in the first set," Zvonareva said. "After being up 4-1, I found myself in a tie-break. I let her back into the match, but was able to recover my form in the second set.

"All matches are tough now, regardless of the final score. Women's tennis is at a very high level now. There are a lot of young players in the draw here, but I think age gives me the edge, even though I'm only 20. The younger ones definitely have the desire to win. I still feel like my game is improving. Sometimes I have to take a step backward to go forward. I'm very happy with the way I'm playing right now."

Beltrame took an injury timeout at 4-1 in the first set and was able to get back into the match. However, the young Frenchwoman was bothered by a left hamstring injury for the remainder of the match and was eventually forced to withdraw from her doubles match later in the day. link (http://www.wtatour.com/newsroom/stories/NewsArticle_6136_rx.asp)

So Beltrame takes an injury timeout when Bepa is leading 4-1, and then Bepa ends up in a TB...

Focus!!! :p

Epigone
Feb 17th, 2005, 07:16 AM
I'm sure everyone is really glad to hear such positive talk out of Vera, cause I sure am :)I love athletes and their cliches :lol:

At this stage, I'd like to see her translate that talk into some crushing victories. Her opponent suffered an injury that forced her to withdraw from doubles, yet Bepa's victory wasn't exactly devastating :o

I'm pleased from the point of view that she served well and won, but I would have liked it if there had been a little more breathing room in the 1st set. The matches are going to get harder from now on, so she will have to pick up her game.

Still, it's good to hear that she is putting on a positive face :)

pav
Feb 17th, 2005, 07:47 AM
As long as Bepa dosen't take too big a step backwards! :tape:

Epigone
Feb 17th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Bepa will play Junior Wimbledon 2004 winner Katerina Bondarenko (not to be confused with her sister Alyona ;) ) in the QF, after Katya defeated Angela Haynes 7-6 (3) 7-5. Katya has had a slow start to the year (look at her loss in qualifying in Hyderabad :o ), but she was given a WC to Memphis, and she has turned up to play. She took out #6 seed Jidkova in the 1st round, which is her biggest career win to date.

She likes to play from the back of the court and has a big serve, although her 1st serve can be erratic (she was 5/15 of 1st serves in at the start of the match against Haynes). She hit 5 aces and 4 DFs in the 1st set, and 3 aces and 0 DFs in the 2nd.

When her 1st serve percentage picked up, she took control of the match. She had 5 BP opportunities in the space of two games in the middle of the 2nd set, but despite getting a look at some 2nd serves on BP, she failed to convert.

I've seen Katya play Vera Douchevina on clay, and although the scoreline was extremely lopsided (6-0 6-2), I think that Vera was greatly helped by the slow surface, and the fact that she is an excellent retriever. I think that Katya will really go for her shots in this match, and her game will be dangerous on this fast, low bounce surface.

Zhenya went for her shots against Bepa in Pattaya, and came out on top. I think that Katya is better than Zhenya from the baseline, but she might be more erratic. If her shots are biting the lines, Bepa could be in a world of trouble.

An interesting strategy might be to take some pace off the ball like she did against Lisa Raymond in the final last year. That will force Katya to generate her own pace, which could result in errors if she goes for too much.

Katya is one of favourite players, and I think she has done amazingly well to make it this far. This will be a tough match for me, but Bepa has to defend her title. Hopefully Katya can give her the workout that she needs to get back to her peak form as she approaches the final.

The match will be played NB 18:30hrs on Stadium

Epigone
Feb 17th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Oh, and by BTW, if Katya's serve is really letting her down, she might resort to serving underarm :D. This is from a story (http://www.sportstaronnet.com/tss2603/stories/20030118003007500.htm) from 2003.
The Ukrainian lass is hungry for success, never mind the means. She served underarm in three matches to avoid recurring double-faults, a family trick as she admitted through interpreter Amanmuradova (her doubles partner). "I have served underarm on matchpoint once before. The idea is to surprise your opponent shaping up for the bounce. I began doing this after watching my sister Valerie do it frequently in matches," said Kateryna. She added that she was working on other improvisations to keep her rivals on tenterhooks. It's a good thing that Bepa has me scouting for her :cool:

Bepa, beware of the underarm serve ;)

goldenlox
Feb 17th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Vera is still not playing well. So she's going to have fight her way through these matches.
That's part of being a top player. Winning when you're not at your best.

Epigone
Feb 17th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Vera is still not playing well. So she's going to have fight her way through these matches.
That's part of being a top player. Winning when you're not at your best.Bepa said that she is very happy with the way she is playing :)

goldenlox
Feb 17th, 2005, 02:27 PM
I was happy with the way she played last summer.
She should always be happy, never be satisfied.

Epigone
Feb 17th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Of course she should always strive to improve.
I'm glad that her serve has picked up, but I think she needs to make it even stronger.
Spend less time on the internet, and more time on the practice courts :p

goldenlox
Feb 17th, 2005, 04:06 PM
And now in the TB. Vera :help:You gotta believe!

pav
Feb 17th, 2005, 05:43 PM
I must admit I had The Bondarenko's mixed up yesterday for awhile and was studying A.Bond. instead of K Bond.
underarm! Hmm, has She been training with the Chappell Bros? Lucky Bepa has the scouts out, or one sneaky underarm serve could be enough to launch Her into a session of racquet biting! :scared:

rrfnpump
Feb 17th, 2005, 05:47 PM
I think and hope that the finals will be between those two ;)

goldenlox
Feb 17th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Vera will probably have to play better to get past Linetskaya.
She's going to have to raise her game. But today, she has K.B. to beat.

rrfnpump
Feb 17th, 2005, 06:35 PM
I think Linetskaya will struggle against Morigami...

But Bepa needs to play better!!!

goldenlox
Feb 17th, 2005, 06:37 PM
I expect Linetskaya to reach the semis.
I expect Nicole to have her hands full with Meghann.
It's Vera's tournament, if she plays well.
Now's the time to do it. Defend these points, and hit IW in top form.

Emptiness
Feb 17th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Umm.....

GO VERA GO!

Yeah!

Woo!

:)

nick_chicane
Feb 17th, 2005, 08:55 PM
This is much better!! I was beginning to think you guys were boring!! :lol: Theres some interesting stuff here!!

Epigone
Feb 17th, 2005, 11:56 PM
This is much better!! I was beginning to think you guys were boring!! :lol: Theres some interesting stuff here!!The one word that shouldn't be used to describe this thread is boring :D

IMO, this board is more lively than the zvonareva.com board, but at least you don't have trolldenlox causing trouble over there :p

Epigone
Feb 18th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Bepa took the 1st set 7-5

She is lucky that Katya has a 1st serve percentage of 45% vs her 65%, or else she'd be in a whole lot of pain :o

Bepa has won 43 points vs 41 for Katya

I hate this match :bigcry:. I really want Katya to be rewarded for her great play, but I can't cheer against Bepa :sad:

pav
Feb 18th, 2005, 12:36 AM
I'll be buggered, She just broke and then held! She must have lost count! must be hard for You Epi!

pav
Feb 18th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Katya certainly plays well above Her present ranking

Epigone
Feb 18th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Bepa took the match 7-5 6-0 :bigclap:

The 2nd set scoreline :yeah:

Katya :bigcry:, especially the scoreline :sad:

Analysis to follow :p

gary
Feb 18th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Bepa vs Evgenia in SF :scared:

Gowza
Feb 18th, 2005, 01:21 AM
good 2nd set, next match will be tough. good luck vera!

Epigone
Feb 18th, 2005, 02:46 AM
From wtatour.comFebruary 17, 2005

Field Trimmed to Four in Memphis
MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The field at this week's Region Morgan Keegan Championships & the Cellular South Cup has been trimmed down to just four players following quarterfinal action on Day 5 in Memphis.
Defending champion and top seed Vera Zvonareva, along with No.3 seed Meghann Shaughnessy, No.7 Nicole Vaidisova and No.8 Evgenia Linetskaya make up this year's final four at The Racquet Club of Memphis.

Zvonareva won her seventh straight at the indoor tournament, defeating Ukraine wild card Katerina Bondarenko, 75 60. The 20-year-old Russian is now one win away from her second finals appearance in Memphis and can reach the championship round with a victory against No.8 seed Linetskaya.

Linetskaya reached her second straight Sony Ericsson WTA Tour semifinal with a 62 62 victory against Akiko Morigami. Linetskaya reached her first career Tour semifinal just two weeks ago at Pattaya City before retiring in that round against Conchita Martinez due to heat illness.

Prior to reaching the semifinals in Pattaya City, Linetskaya defeated top seed Zvonareva in the quarterfinals. Now, the two Russians will exchange shots on the court for the second time in three weeks and this time, a berth to the finals is on the line.

American Shaughnessy reached her first semifinal since Tashkent last year with a 61 62 victory against Korea's Yoon Jeong Cho. Coincidentally, Shaughnessy was defeated in that Tashkent semifinal by her soon-to-be Memphis semis opponent, No.7 seed Vaidisova.

Vaidisova defeated the American in Tashkent en route to her second career title. She will now get the chance to face Shaughnessy once again in the final four, after defeating American Jamea Jackson, 62 67(2) 64.

Jackson gave up quite a fight before eventually falling to the 16-year-old from the Czech Republic. She saved seven match points in the losing effort, including four in the second tie-break.link (http://www.wtatour.com/newsroom/stories/NewsArticle_6150_rx.asp)

Shoulderpova
Feb 18th, 2005, 05:30 AM
Bepa :worship::worship:
rematch with Zhenya in SF :scared::scared:

Daniel
Feb 18th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Good luck Vera :worship: :)

Epigone
Feb 18th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Today's other semifinal will feature No. 1 seed Vera Zvonareva against Evgenia Linetskaya, the No. 8 seed. Linetskaya, who is from Russia and who has yet to be pushed this week, defeated Japan's Akiko Morigami, 6-2, 6-2.

Zvonareva earned her seminfinal place by beating Katerina Bondarenko of the Ukraine, 7-5, 6-0. Zvonareva needed just 20 minutes to win the second set and lost only one point in the last three games.

"I just got used to what she was doing," Zvonareva said. "I wasn't giving her many chances ... putting a lot of pressure on her. I think I played better today compared to the day before."

Linetskaya and Zvonareva met in a tournament in Thailand a couple of weeks ago, with Linetskaya winning. "I don't think I played my really good tennis," Zvonareva said. "But she's a really good player."link (http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/tennis/article/0,1426,MCA_1756_3557727,00.html)
Bepa closed out the match in a very impressive manner :worship:

mandy7
Feb 18th, 2005, 12:53 PM
:woohoo:

Epigone
Feb 18th, 2005, 01:21 PM
http://img62.exs.cx/img62/8586/qfmatch4dl.jpg

http://img62.exs.cx/img62/7025/qf1stset9od.jpg

http://img62.exs.cx/img62/9595/qf2ndset3ee.jpg

Here are the stats from the match (match, 1st set, and 2nd set).
Some interesting points:
-although her 1st serve % was better in the 1st set, she had a far better % of points won on the 1st serve in the 2nd set, and Katya had a very low number of receiving points won in the 2nd set
-Bepa won only 1 more point than Katya in the 1st set, yet won approximately 3 times the number of points in the 2nd set.

One thing that did worry me was that Bepa blew one SP at 5-3*, then another two while serving for the set at *5-4. She then held two BPs at 5-5*, but Katya got it to deuce, only for Bepa to bring up a third and finally convert.

She needs to close out sets ASAP, rather than be stretched like she was in this match.

Epigone
Feb 18th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Friday, February 18, 2005
Stadium (from 10.00hrs)
1. ATP: Gambill vs. Carlsen
2. ATP: Mirnyi vs. Dupuis (NB 11.30hrs)
3. Shaughnessy vs. Vaidisova (NB 13.00hrs)
4. ATP: Malisse vs. Kim or Haas (NB 15.30hrs)
5. ATP: Roddick vs. Ginepri (NB 18.30hrs)
6. Zvonareva vs. Linetskaya

I finally get to sleep in :dance:

Bepa vs Zhenya. Hmmm...

I saw Sesil dispatch Zhenya at the Gold Coast, and she did that with a serve that is less consistent than Bepa's (in addition to a slow 2nd serve), and a backhand that, while good, is not as much of a weapon and Bepa's strongest shot. I feel that she won the match by moving the ball from side to side, which is one of Bepa's real strengths. Zhenya's movement is fairly good, but I don't think she is going to run down balls if they are placed in the corners. Also, it would be a good idea for Bepa to play some shots at shallow angles to get her uncomfortable.

IMO, Katya is more of a punishing player than Zhenya (her groundies and serve have more pop), so it was very pleasing to see Bepa weather that storm. Zhenya's tactics in Pattaya were to really go for her shots, and this fast surface should reward her if she can hit accurate shots with a lot of power. However, the stats from the Bepa vs Katya match suggest that Bepa could match and defeat Katya off the ground, and I think that Katya is probably a better indoor player than Zhenya, so I think Bepa is looking good for this rematch.

If she can maintain a high 1st serve percentage, improve the number of points won on her 1st serve (she certainly did this in the 2nd set), and capitalise on BP opportunities, I think she will win comfortably.

nick_chicane
Feb 18th, 2005, 03:33 PM
The one word that shouldn't be used to describe this thread is boring :D

IMO, this board is more lively than the zvonareva.com board, but at least you don't have trolldenlox causing trouble over there :p

Maybe so, but i'd rather have our board because everyone knows each other so well now, were all more like friends then just names posting messages!!

KV
Feb 18th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Well done bepa, great semi vs. Zhenya :D

goldenlox
Feb 18th, 2005, 04:00 PM
That's 3 wins in a row. So coming back to Memphis was a good decision.
Now she has to raise her level, and get back to where she was last summer.
Then move forward from there.

nick_chicane
Feb 18th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Shaughnessy beat Vaidisova in the other semi final which im pleased about, i fancy vera to beat meghan more than nicole!! Vera just has to do the business tonight and get us revenge!! :lol:

pav
Feb 19th, 2005, 01:29 AM
Not long to go now! I'm a bit nervous about this! I hope Bepa can play well and is less nervous than I am :)

Epigone
Feb 19th, 2005, 01:57 AM
Not long to go now! I'm a bit nervous about this! I hope Bepa can play well and is less nervous than I am :)I hear you :unsure:

I think that Bepa has been improving throughout the week, and I think that she will control this match. She just needs to stay in front while serving, and convert her BP chances when she gets them, rather than on the third or fourth chance :o

BTW, the match just started, and her opening service game included two aces, and she held at love :worship:

pav
Feb 19th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Phew! 1st set under the belt , but that Girl is a fighter! so still nervous, Bepa looks good in the stats, and was better in all except 1st serve% not over yet though

Epigone
Feb 19th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Bepa took the 1st set 6-4 :dance:

She blew a BP chance at 4-3*, but then broke at 5-4* :yeah:

Epigone
Feb 19th, 2005, 03:07 AM
Bepa won 6-4 6-1 :woohoo:

She was in crushing form in the 2nd set, and closed with an ace! :bigclap:

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 19th, 2005, 03:17 AM
well done Vera :)

good luck in final :)
defend your title ;) ok

pav
Feb 19th, 2005, 03:20 AM
Yes good effort against a good young opponent, now almost time to get nervous about the next match!

Shoulderpova
Feb 19th, 2005, 03:21 AM
Bepa :worship::worship::yippee::yippee:
defend your title here Bepa :bowdown::bowdown:
I know you can ;)

Emptiness
Feb 19th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Maybe so, but i'd rather have our board because everyone knows each other so well now, were all more like friends then just names posting messages!!Thats more like General Messages... this thread has regulars. :)

Yay Vera, good girl. *pats head* :p

Unless she has another meltdown she should have no problems against Shaughnessy. :)

Epigone
Feb 19th, 2005, 05:42 AM
I grabbed this little section out of a story that contained a report on Meghann vs Nicole, and Bepa vs Zhenya from here (http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/tennis/article/0,1426,MCA_1756_3560687,00.html)

Zvonareva, 20, who is from Russia and currently No. 11 on tour, has a soft spot for Memphis and this tournament.

"I'm really excited because this is the first WTA Tournament where I come in as the defending champ," she said.

She made quick work of Linetskaya, 18, avenging a loss to her fellow countryman just two weeks ago.

"I just wanted to show good tennis," Zvonareva said. "I'm feeling good about my game."

And about tonight's finals. "I think we will both fight," she said. "I hope the crowd will like it." I think there are some recycled quotes, but I hope she does put on a good show in the final :yeah:

Emptiness
Feb 19th, 2005, 06:28 AM
I bet you're happy Vera's getting some media coverage? :)

That other partner probably didn't want Bepa in pictures with her, and therefore decided to walk off ahead :tape:. BTW, did Bepa and that other partner interact much on court?I didn't watch the match. :o:tape: Maybe i'll watch it one day when im so bored i feel like scooping my brain out with an ice cream spoon. I only saw the end when i was cutting the video. Vera's "other partner" didn't wait for her and just left the court, i don't think she even looked back to say goodbye. The big meanie.

It's nicer than Bepa almost taking Nastya's head off after their doubles loss in Sydney last year :o :lol:Haha those girls are going to have a heart attack before they're 40 from their tempers. :rolleyes:

Gowza
Feb 19th, 2005, 07:55 AM
this is a good confidence boosting win for vera.

Epigone
Feb 19th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Saturday, February 19, 2005
Stadium (from 19.00hrs)
Singles final:
Zvonareva vs. Shaughnessy

Udachi! :)

gary
Feb 19th, 2005, 11:59 AM
defend your title Bepa!! :yeah: :bounce:

daniela86
Feb 19th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Meghann served something like 20 aces against Nicole :o :eek: :eek: Bepa should be very careful tonight :scared: :scared: hope she'll be in a great day but i'm already very prood of her,she took her revenge from pattaya (sorry zhenya :sad: )and hadn't lost a set throughout all week :) :kiss: :) udachi Bepa, show at everybody that Memphis is YOUR tournament!! :) :cool: :cool:
btw, i won't be able to see the match, what a pity :bigcry: :bigcry: :mad:

goldenlox
Feb 19th, 2005, 02:05 PM
I expect Linetskaya to reach the semis.
I expect Nicole to have her hands full with Meghann.
It's Vera's tournament, if she plays well.
Now's the time to do it. Defend these points, and hit IW in top form.
No surprises. I'm glad Vera is getting her form back.
Now defend this title :worship: , and then get ready to make some noise at Indian Wells :bounce:

KV
Feb 19th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Well done Bepa to reach the final. :D

goldenlox
Feb 19th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Vera is 2-1 against Meghann. I remember the US Open match very well.
I think Vera remembers it also.
Last year Vera didn't do that well at IW & Miami. She lost to Craybas in Miami.
If she can find her best form now, she can get back into the top 10.

vaiva
Feb 19th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Good luck tonight to VerunChick!

Meg now seems to be in the mood when she plays well for a few weeks and then goes walkabout for the rest of the year.

VerunChick downed one American in the final last year, hope for the same this year :bounce:

goldenlox
Feb 19th, 2005, 05:46 PM
I saw that final. Vera was super. Especially when Raymond was close to winning.
Vera won the last 5 games, and showed tremendous endurance and poise under pressure.

Epigone
Feb 19th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Bepa won 7 of the final eight games against Zhenya, and the final 8 games against Katya.

If she takes the 1st set, she could get on a massive roll

Epigone
Feb 20th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Bepa took the 1st set 7-6(7/3) :woohoo:

She held at love 3 straight times, and then at 15

She had two BP chances at 4-4*, but didn't convert :sad:. However, she kept fighting, and is a set up :D

Look at the stat I posted in my previous post. Let's hope it holds true!!!

The 2nd set has started, so :wavey:
Davai!!! :yippee: :bounce: :dance:

ys
Feb 20th, 2005, 01:15 AM
The Verun-Chick is doing very well..;)

Epigone
Feb 20th, 2005, 01:42 AM
Bepa defended her title 7-6(3) 6-2 :woohoo:

pav
Feb 20th, 2005, 01:50 AM
The last three matches She has built up pace and rolled in the 2nd, a good sign! I bet the smile is there right now!

Epigone
Feb 20th, 2005, 02:43 AM
Zvonareva Claims Second Consecutive Title
No. 1 seed and defending champion Vera Zvonareva claimed her second consecutive title in Memphis by defeating No. 3 seed Meghann Shaughnessy 7-6(3), 6-2. The 19-year-old Russian got off to a slow start and was down 3-0 in the first set. After a long fourth game, which she won, she recovered breaking Shaughnessy's serve and tie at 3-3.

From then on, both players held serve consistently to reach the tie-break. At 3-2 for Shaughnessy, Zvonareva hit an unstoppable backhand down the line to finish one of the longest rallies of the match. She went to win the next four consecutive points to close the set.

"She started very well and it took me some time to get my rythim. I was able to get my game back and play the way I've been doing in the days before and I was fine after that." Zvonareva said.

In the second set, Zvonareva continued to pound her fierce groundstrokes and broke Shaughessy's serve at 2-1 to take the lead and needed only one point on her opponent's serve to finish the match in 1 hour, 34 minutes of play.

With the win, Zvonareva improves to 8-3 in 2005 and defends a Sony Ericsson WTA Tour title for the first time in her career.

"I was really happy to be back in the finals here. I wasn't really thinking about the pressure of being the defending champion, but I'm really happy to have won in here since this was the first time that I've been in this situation."link (http://www.rmkchampionships.com/)

I forgot to mention that Bepa was down 0-3* in the 1st set, and Meghann had BP chances for 0-4 :eek:

beauty_is_pink
Feb 20th, 2005, 02:46 AM
:woohoo:
go Bepa!!! :yeah:

congrats :hug:

Epigone
Feb 20th, 2005, 03:31 AM
http://img174.exs.cx/img174/9343/tnmh1190219221024x7688fl.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us/)

Vera Zvonareva of Russia accepts her trophy after she defeated Meghann Shaughnessy 7-6 (3), 6-2 to win the Cellular South Cup on Saturday, Feb. 19, 2005, in Memphis, Tenn. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey)

We've been waiting for this image for a whole year! :worship:

Shoulderpova
Feb 20th, 2005, 03:53 AM
Bepa :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:
:yippee::yippee::yippee::yippee::yippee::yippee:
I'm so happy now Bepa :worship::worship::worship:
Keep going Bepa :worship::yippee:

Epigone
Feb 20th, 2005, 05:02 AM
From wtatour.com. The link (http://www.wtatour.com/newsroom/stories/NewsArticle_6166_rx.asp) actually says "Easy Defense" :worship:
Zvonareva Successfully Defends Memphis Title

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Vera Zvonareva won her second consecutive title at the Region Morgan Keegan Championships & the Cellular South Cup on Saturday evening, defeating No.3 seed Meghann Shaughnessy in the final.
The 20-year-old Russian was successful in her bid to defend the title she won 12 months ago, needing 1 hour, 33 minutes to post the 76(3) 62 victory. Zvonareva now has three career Sony Ericsson WTA Tour singles titles.

"This was one of the most important matches of my career because it was the first time I defended a title," Zvonareva said. "It's funny though because I wasn't thinking about it all while I was out there on the court. To win two titles back-to-back is just a great experience. It means I played well and with the level of play on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour these days, that really means a lot. I love playing here in Memphis and I hope to come back again and defend my title once more."

Zvonareva did not drop a set during her week-long stay in Memphis, which included victories against Michaela Pastikova, Severine Beltrame, wild card Katerina Bondarenko and No.8 seed Evgenia Linetskaya to reach her second straight championship match at The Racquet Club of Memphis.

Shaughnessy was appearing in her seventh career Tour final and first since winning in Canberra in 2003. She falls to 3-4 in career singles finals, including 0-2 in the United States (lost at Scottsdale in 2001).

The 25-year-old American did not drop a set before facing Zvonareva in the final. She posted straight sets victories against Laura Granville, Hana Sromova, Yoon Jeong Cho and No.7 seed Nicole Vaidisova.

Though she wasn't able to close out the tournament with a title, Shaughnessy is hoping the momentum that helped push her through to the final can carry on after she leaves Memphis.

"It was a good week and I played a lot of good matches, but unfortunately, I couldn't do it today," Shaughnessy said. "Hopefully I'll be able to take this experience through the rest of the hardcourt season."

Epigone
Feb 20th, 2005, 05:06 AM
geneve, thanks for the pics :yeah:

I've got all of the 1024x768 versions saved already :D :o

Are we allowed to post the Ghetto Images pic of her with the trophy that is found on the sportsline website, or will we get :shout: at?

I like that pic more than the one I posted, and it has become the new wallpaper on my computer :cool:

Gowza
Feb 20th, 2005, 06:19 AM
i'm thinking this win will give vera the confidence to get back to playing consistently well.

Daniel
Feb 20th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Congrats Vera :clap2: :bounce: :hug:

Epigone
Feb 20th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Zvonareva holds onto title
Shaughnessy starts hot, but can't win set in final

By Don Wade
Contact
February 20, 2005

This being tennis and not boxing, it wouldn't be accurate to say that the challenger had the defending champ on the ropes.

But after taking a 3-0 lead in the first set of the Cellular South Cup finals Saturday night at The Racquet Club, it is safe to say that top seed Vera Zvonareva was not in good position -- especially when she was within a point of having her serve broken again and falling behind 4-0.

"I wasn't even thinking about that," Zvonareva said. "I was just trying to find my game. She (No. 3 seed Meghann Shaughnessy) was playing really well and attacking my serve right away. ... Once I hit a couple of good shots, I was OK."

OK? No, she was more than OK. Zvonareva went on to a 7-6 (3) 6-2 victory for her second straight championship on the Stadium Court. In accepting the winner's trophy, Zvonareva remembered how it all started for her: "Thank you to Mac Winker (the tournament's owner), who gave me a wildcard here four years ago."

Zvonareva, a 20-year-old Russian, is No. 11 on the WTA Tour and was the highest-ranked player in the tournament. This was her third WTA title, and her first title defense.

"When I was on the court, I wasn't really thinking I was the defending champ," she said. "I was trying to play my best."

It's what she pretty much did all week. She did not lose a set in five matches. Shaughnessy, 25, from Arizona, did not lose a set until Saturday's finals.

And the way this match started, with Shaughnessy up 3-0 in the first set and within a point of gaining another service break, it looked like she might be the one to go through the tournament unscathed.

"I lost a little intensity," Shaughnessy said of the match's turn in the first set. "It was a good week. I really feel like I played some good tennis.

"I'm disappointed I didn't keep it together for the finals."

Although Shaughnessy had eight aces to Zvonareva's two, Shaughnessy's serve was not the force it had been in other matches in the tournament.

"It's always tough to say if you're going to break her, because if she serves four aces, what can you do?" Zvonareva said.

"I didn't serve well at all," said Shaughnessy. "And she played pretty well. When I'm playing well is when I'm intense and serving and looking for my forehand. Without that, it changes the whole momentum."

Zvonareva took the momentum from the tiebreaker into the second set, which she won with ease. This was the fourth time these two have met, and Zvonareva now holds a 3-1 advantage.

Although she was in the role of defending champ, Zvonareva said she felt more pressure because of her ranking.

"Because in 90 percent of my matches I am the higher-ranked player," she said. "It just means I have to prove myself all the time."

Like she did here all week and again in Saturday's finals.

-- Don Wade: 529-2358link (http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/tennis/article/0,1426,MCA_1756_3562460,00.html)

Epigone
Feb 20th, 2005, 07:16 AM
I also found this little snippet in another article - link (http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/tennis/article/0,1426,MCA_1756_3562416,00.html)
Total focus
Russian Vera Zvonareva had her mind on one thing Saturday: defending her Cellular South Cup title, which she succeeded in doing with a 7-6 (3), 6-2 win over American Meghann Shaughnessy.

So when a reporter pointed out to Zvonareva that she was within one point of falling behind 4-0 in the first set, she didn't seem to know that had been the case.

And when she was informed she didn't lose a set all week, she also seemed surprised.

"You're a good one for statistics," said Zvonareva, a 20-year-old who is ranked 41st in the world and has three WTA career titles. "It just means I played good tennis here."But the guy who wrote this piece isn't... :lol: :tape:

Return engagement?

This was Shaughnessy's first time here. She says she came on the advice of her peers.

"All the other players on tour said, 'Go to Memphis.' I'm hoping to be back."

This was Zvonareva's fourth time here and she would be going for a threepeat if she returns. "It's a year away. It's hard to say," Zvonareva said. "But I will come back here if I can." Go back!!! Threepeat!!! :cool:

rrfnpump
Feb 20th, 2005, 07:27 AM
:banana: :bounce:

Vera :woohoo:

Daniel
Feb 20th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Thanks Epigone for the aerticles :hug:

:lol: @ Vera ranked 41st :p

vaiva
Feb 20th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Well done VerunChick! :aparty:

Now time to win big matches in big tournaments. Udachi!

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 20th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Vera :woohoo: :banana: :yeah:
well done Vera :yippee: :bounce:

time for a bigger title ok ;)

Mathijs
Feb 20th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Congrats Vera on succesfully defending your title here :yeah:, hopefully you'll continue your winning ways, and are there some bigger title to look forward to :bounce: :bounce:

KV
Feb 20th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Title successfully defended. :bounce: :bounce:

pav
Feb 20th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Much better Bepa!

goldenlox
Feb 20th, 2005, 04:12 PM
The Verun-Chick is doing very well..;)After the way Vera started her year, she needed something to ignite her.
To get her focus and rhythm back at a high level.
Defending this title was perfect.
It gave her a chance to work her way into the tournament, and finish the week in a positive way.
Now, enough of Tier III's. Get ready to kick some tail at Indian Wells.

daniela86
Feb 20th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Excellent job Bepa!! I have no words to say how much i'm happy for her!! :kiss: :hug: :) :woohoo: :woohoo: :D :D :) She was impressive all the week and this title is really deserved:) :) Congrats BEPA!! :aparty: I think it will really boost her confidence, i waited for it so impatiently!!!:woohoo: Now, i hope she'll have the same motivation for bigger tournaments and win another title this year, a bigger one like IW or Miami! Hope her roll won't stop soon :cool: I'm so proud of our Bepa!!!:worship:

andrewbroad
Feb 20th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Congratulations Bepa! :banana:

My Memphis report:
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=153027

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/zvona/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/verazvonareva/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/

Roddicksgaylover
Feb 20th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Well done Vera!

Epigone
Feb 20th, 2005, 11:21 PM
I'm glad to see so many people posting their well-wishes for Bepa :) :hug:

I only wish that more people would post here regularly, so that I wouldn't have to engage in "debates" with trolldenlox.

trolldenlox, I know that you're bad-repping me because you are intellectually inferior to me, and consequently can't form a reasoned argument. If you want to debate, let's debate. If you want to troll, go to another thread.

You have weird obsession that compels you to post in every cheering thread in RR, but you should skip this one because I know that you don't like Bepa :wavey:

Joana
Feb 20th, 2005, 11:31 PM
I only wish that more people would post here regularly, so that I wouldn't have to engage in "debates" with trolldenlox.

Actually, that's the exact reason I (almost) never post anything in Russian Roulette.

Epigone
Feb 21st, 2005, 05:47 AM
I'm just having a look at the points required for Bepa to re-enter the top 10. Capriati has pulled out of Miami, so Bepa should enter the top 10 after Miami, but she has a great chance of doing so at IW. I'm using Eggy's points table to do these calculations, so hopefully I haven't made any mistakes :o

Bepa is currently on 2218 points, 141 points behind Jen, and she has to defend 57 points at Indian Wells, and 32 points at Miami. Taking off those points, Bepa will have 2129 points.

Jen has 2359 points, and has 124 points to defend at Doha, and 32 points to defend at Miami. If she doesn't play up to and including Miami, Jen will have 2203 points.

If my calculations are correct, Bepa needs to score more than 74 points at IW and Miami to overtake Jen.

In term of an attack from Nadia, Bepa is ahead of her by 63 points, and Nadia needs to defend 141 more points than Bepa in the next two tournaments, which means that she needs to score more than 204 more points than Bepa to overtake her, and more than 278 more points than Bepa to overtake both Bepa and Jen.

So, if Bepa makes the QF at IW, she will collect 75 points (excluding quality points), and that will put her into the top 10.

Eggy, does this seem correct? :shrug:

Shoulderpova
Feb 21st, 2005, 06:00 AM
I love both Bepa and Nadia and hope they both break into top 10 this year :hug::hug:
all the best of luck to you Bepa :bigclap::hug:

Epigone
Feb 21st, 2005, 06:13 AM
I love both Bepa and Nadia and hope they both break into top 10 this year :hug::hug:
all the best of luck to you Bepa :bigclap::hug:Me too :)

Given that they are fighting for the same piece of real estate, I hope that they can push each other to become better-performing players

Epigone
Feb 21st, 2005, 07:11 AM
Hear, hear!

Or taking down some of the top 10 wouldn't be too shabby either... ;)Too true. Bepa really needs to pick up more quality points this year. For instance:
Venus - 779.00 quality points from 16 tournaments
Alicia - 901.00 quality points from 23 tournaments
Jen - 936.00 quality points from 12 tournaments
Bepa - 655.00 quality points from 26 tournaments :o
Nadia - 812.00 quality points from 28 tournaments

That means that she isn't beating higher ranked players, especially at Slams. She needs some top 10 victories.

Daniel
Feb 21st, 2005, 08:44 AM
I want to see Vera in the top 10 again :bounce: :D

Epigone
Feb 21st, 2005, 09:04 AM
From cska.ru -
Веpа Звонарева выиграла турнир в Мемфисе
Представляющая ЦСКА теннисистка Вера Звонарева стала победительницей крупного теннисного турнира WTA, завершившегося в американском Мемфисе. В финале Вера в двух сетах переиграла хозяйку кортов Меган Шонесси - 7:6 (7:3), 6:2. Поздравления от ЦСКА!I like how they do this :)

vaiva
Feb 21st, 2005, 10:38 AM
I'm glad to see so many people posting their well-wishes for Bepa :) :hug:

VerunChick's success will bring more people to this thread. There has been not much to talk about recently. We can write 1254546874654-page long essays on why she blows her leads and loses matches which she should have won, how much money she's earned, how many times she's cried during a match, but what's the purpose? I want VerunChick to be successful and perform to her potential but nothing I write on a message board will have any effect on her.

I may not drop by very often but that does not mean I like and support Vera any less than a person with 465486746 posts here :p

Epigone
Feb 21st, 2005, 11:20 AM
I want VerunChick to be successful and perform to her potential but nothing I write on a message board will have any effect on her.A certain poster in RR believes that the Russian players read this board, and then implement her strategies on the court, and when deciding on what to do with their finances :tape:

I may not drop by very often but that does not mean I like and support Vera any less than a person with 465486746 posts here :pI know that she has many fans who don't post here, or post here infrequently, but I don't think any less of them for that :angel:. It's just that I like to read some other opinions once in awhile ;)

vaiva
Feb 21st, 2005, 11:54 AM
Well, you have a very opinionated poster who is a regular here but you don't seem to enjoy her opinions :p

So what's next for VerunChick? Is she staying accross the pond for IW or will she fly to Dubai?

Epigone
Feb 21st, 2005, 12:22 PM
Well, you have a very opinionated poster who is a regular here but you don't seem to enjoy her opinions :p:lol: She likes to create conflict, and her posts are all the same, regardless of the player. "Make lots of money, and keep improving" :yawn: :p

So what's next for VerunChick? Is she staying accross the pond for IW or will she fly to Dubai?It will be Indian Wells, but that begins in two weeks, so she might go back to Moscow in the meantime.

On the other hand, she said that the jetlag she suffered going from Thailand to Moscow to Memphis was the worst she's ever had, so she might decide to stay in the US :shrug:

tenn_ace
Feb 21st, 2005, 05:38 PM
Молодец, Вера! Звонарева, победив в минувший уик-энд в финале женского теннисного турнира в Мемфисе Меганн Шонесси, повторила свой прошлогодний успех. И, таким образом, стала четвертой российской теннисисткой после Мыскиной, Шараповой и Кузнецовой, кому удалось дважды выиграть в одном и том же турнире.

— Я очень рада, — призналась сразу после выигрыша в финале у американки Шонесси Вера, — еще и потому, что мне было необходимо морально восстановиться после прошлого сезона. Все-таки он очень сильно всех нас измотал, и эта победа, я думаю, мне поможет.
— Ты, наверное, нисколько не сомневалась, что выиграешь, ведь изначально была “посеяна” под первым номером?
— Знаете, женский теннис сейчас настолько вырос, что любая из первых 50 девушек вполне может выиграть серьезный турнир. Тут важно не только мастерство, но и удача. И то, что она мне сопутствовала, — просто здорово!
...Почти сразу удалось дозвониться до Вериной мамы Натальи.
— Знаете, мне никак не удается связаться с дочкой — я только и успела, что отправить ей SMS, но она пока не ответила. Наверное, позвонит уже из Майами. Такое сказочное место, а Вере предстоит пахать там две недели перед серией “миллионников” (так обычно называют турниры первой категории WTA).
— Вы с такой грустью это говорите — наверное, жалеете дочку? Ведь Вера едва ли успела восстановиться после прошлогоднего марафона...
— Какое там! Недельку дома побыла, немного отвлеклась от всего, с друзьями повидалась — вот и весь отдых. После таких нагрузок — разве так быстро восстановишься!
— Как считаете, Вера изменилась за последнее время?
— Очень сильно. Она взрослеет, уже совершенно по-другому реагирует на стрессы. Ну и тренер-американец, конечно, здорово ей помогает. Иногда общаемся с ним по телефону.
— Не жалеете, что Вера рассталась с прежним тренером Юлией Кошеваровой? Насколько я помню, у них были прекрасные личные и профессиональные отношения...
— Нет, не жалею. Отношения у них действительно прекрасные, но Юлия иногда из тренера превращалась в маму. А мама у Веры — я. И оставьте, пожалуйста, это счастье мне.

----------

I've been saying it for a long-long-long time:angel:

pav
Feb 21st, 2005, 05:51 PM
Молодец, Вера! Звонарева, победив в минувший уик-энд в финале женского теннисного турнира в Мемфисе Меганн Шонесси, повторила свой прошлогодний успех. И, таким образом, стала четвертой российской теннисисткой после Мыскиной, Шараповой и Кузнецовой, кому удалось дважды выиграть в одном и том же турнире.

— Я очень рада, — призналась сразу после выигрыша в финале у американки Шонесси Вера, — еще и потому, что мне было необходимо морально восстановиться после прошлого сезона. Все-таки он очень сильно всех нас измотал, и эта победа, я думаю, мне поможет.
— Ты, наверное, нисколько не сомневалась, что выиграешь, ведь изначально была “посеяна” под первым номером?
— Знаете, женский теннис сейчас настолько вырос, что любая из первых 50 девушек вполне может выиграть серьезный турнир. Тут важно не только мастерство, но и удача. И то, что она мне сопутствовала, — просто здорово!
...Почти сразу удалось дозвониться до Вериной мамы Натальи.
— Знаете, мне никак не удается связаться с дочкой — я только и успела, что отправить ей SMS, но она пока не ответила. Наверное, позвонит уже из Майами. Такое сказочное место, а Вере предстоит пахать там две недели перед серией “миллионников” (так обычно называют турниры первой категории WTA).
— Вы с такой грустью это говорите — наверное, жалеете дочку? Ведь Вера едва ли успела восстановиться после прошлогоднего марафона...
— Какое там! Недельку дома побыла, немного отвлеклась от всего, с друзьями повидалась — вот и весь отдых. После таких нагрузок — разве так быстро восстановишься!
— Как считаете, Вера изменилась за последнее время?
— Очень сильно. Она взрослеет, уже совершенно по-другому реагирует на стрессы. Ну и тренер-американец, конечно, здорово ей помогает. Иногда общаемся с ним по телефону.
— Не жалеете, что Вера рассталась с прежним тренером Юлией Кошеваровой? Насколько я помню, у них были прекрасные личные и профессиональные отношения...
— Нет, не жалею. Отношения у них действительно прекрасные, но Юлия иногда из тренера превращалась в маму. А мама у Веры — я. И оставьте, пожалуйста, это счастье мне.

----------

I've been saying it for a long-long-long time:angel:
Now Bepa bites Her Racquets instead of smashing them.I've heard that Julia theory a few times but not from the inside!

andrewbroad
Feb 21st, 2005, 09:55 PM
I want VerunChick to be successful and perform to her potential but nothing I write on a message board will have any effect on her.

Bepa reads http://www.zvonareva.com/forum/ apparently, although she is too busy to post there herself - and perhaps too shy, because when she did post there in 2003, nobody believed her claim to be Vera Zvonareva! :o

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/ (http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/)
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/ (http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/)
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/zvona/ (http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/zvona/)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/verazvonareva/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/verazvonareva/)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/)

pav
Feb 21st, 2005, 10:48 PM
I like the short piece by Matthew Cronin on Bepa, mind You He did first bring up the Bepa subject by writing "Speaking of Women Who aren't exactly mental giants"
Quote : Vera Zvonareva: For someone as emotionally fragile as Vera, it's not easy to defend a title for the first time, even against a lesser field. She pounded past Evgenia Linetskaya and then wore down the more popular American Meghann Shaugnessy. Given how sound her groundies are and how quick she is, Zvonareva should by all rights be threatening the Top 5 all year long
I think We should award Her at least 'Mental adult' this past week :worship:

Epigone
Feb 21st, 2005, 10:55 PM
So what's next for VerunChick? Is she staying accross the pond for IW or will she fly to Dubai?Forget what I said previously :p

Наверное, позвонит уже из Майами. Такое сказочное место, а Вере предстоит пахать там две недели перед серией “миллионников” (так обычно называют турниры первой категории WTA).

Epigone
Feb 21st, 2005, 11:32 PM
tenn_ace, another great article :worship: :worship: :worship:

What you highlighted is very similar to what I posted on Feb 8th
One possible criticism of Julia was that she wasn't tough enough with Bepa, and that may have allowed Bepa to develop some "unproductive behavioral traits", for want of a better description. In other words, she would console Bepa when she started crying, instead of telling her to pull herself together and get on with the job.Bepa has had strong relationships with Julia, and also with her previous coach in Moscow, IIRC. Somewhere along the way, I think that the line between student and "daughter", for want of a better word, became blurred.

I think this possibly resulted in two problems:
1) Her coaches felt that they had to act in the role of mother and console her, rather than trying to eliminate the crying and other emotional outbursts.
2) Bepa became too dependent on them for support.

What I had heard about Lex, and also saw in person in Sydney, was that he moves around during matches so that Bepa can't find him. He wants her to stand on her own two feet out there, and realise that she doesn't need someone to hold her hand.

Look at this question, and how Lex answered: — Однако чувствительная. В истерике любит на корте биться. Даже ее лучшая подруга Настя Мыскина жаловалась. После того как победила Веру в полуфинале, говорила, что невозможно играть против человека, который ревет после каждого проигранного мяча. Мол, лучше бы уж вообще в раздевалку ушла! Интересно, а вас Вера на тренировках слушается?
— А то! Я кричу ей: “А ну хорош вопить, с...ка! Играй давай!” — говорит Лекс по-русски — а сам хохочет.
You would never hear Julia saying that :lol:

tenn_ace
Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:28 AM
I think this possibly resulted in two problems:
1) Her coaches felt that they had to act in the role of mother and console her, rather than trying to eliminate the crying and other emotional outbursts.
2) Bepa became too dependent on them for support.

Epigone, I have witnessed all couple of years ago at the US Open. Vera and one of the Brian brothers lost a stinky second round match in mixed, and there was a Nile of tears from Vera (and that's after Brian was all smiles after that loss). And what was Julia doing? She was consoling Vera instead of saying to her: Enough already...

I had posted it here back then, but couldn't find a thread...

tenn_ace
Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:30 AM
— А то! Я кричу ей: “А ну хорош вопить, с...ка! Играй давай!” — говорит Лекс по-русски — а сам хохочет.

that's frigging hillarious, although, I didn't hear that last year when I was sitting next to him (at the US Open).

pav
Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:58 AM
that's frigging hillarious, although, I didn't hear that last year when I was sitting next to him (at the US Open).
You would have to think this 'rough and ready' treatment being dished out by Lex is doing Her more good than the 'poor dear' treatment. I remember reading Someone on this board describing how after a bit of baby behaviour by Bepa, what does Julia do? cuddles and consoles Her, it was probably a post from You.

Epigone
Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:44 AM
Epigone, I have witnessed all couple of years ago at the US Open. Vera and one of the Brian brothers lost a stinky second round match in mixed, and there was a Nile of tears from Vera (and that's after Brian was all smiles after that loss). And what was Julia doing? She was consoling Vera instead of saying to her: Enough already...

I had posted it here back then, but couldn't find a thread...She only started playing with Bob Bryan at the US Open last year. You're referring to the match played with Josh Eagle, and this (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=85497) thread ;)

I think it was a case of Julia getting too close. They lived and trained together, so I think she was probably treated like a daughter. I think her current coaching situation will lead to a reduction in the emotional outbursts because she won't get the same sympathy from Lex.

He is more likely to make fun of her (not in a really harsh way :p ) than console her. I think he uses humour to keep Bepa in check, and she plays better when she has a smile on her face.

deep bass
Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:43 AM
Translations anyone?

vaiva
Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:56 AM
Forget what I said previously :p

Don't you ever dare lie to me or you'll end up just like Vera :bigcry:

vaiva
Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:02 PM
Bepa reads http://www.zvonareva.com/forum/

So what?

What can you say that she and her coaches don't know yet? Stop crying? Work on your serve? You're way more talented than your results show?

Or you think that a post "Vera :bounce: :hearts: ;)" after her first round in a mickey mouse tourney will inspire her to achieve great things?

Epigone
Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:04 PM
I like the short piece by Matthew Cronin on Bepa, mind You He did first bring up the Bepa subject by writing "Speaking of Women Who aren't exactly mental giants"
Quote : Vera Zvonareva: For someone as emotionally fragile as Vera, it's not easy to defend a title for the first time, even against a lesser field. She pounded past Evgenia Linetskaya and then wore down the more popular American Meghann Shaugnessy. Given how sound her groundies are and how quick she is, Zvonareva should by all rights be threatening the Top 5 all year longIf she looks like she should be threatening the top 5 all year, why couldn't she have played like that in Australia and Thailand? :shrug:

I agree that she has the power and quickness to compete with the top ten, but I think that has to get rid of the mental lapses. However, the fact that she fought off break points to avoid going down 0-4 in the 1st set of the final, and the way that she controlled the tiebreaks last week are very positive signs.

I think We should award Her at least 'Mental adult' this past week :worship::lol: But she still has work to do.

It's interesting to read that her mother thinks that she now reacts to stress in a more mature way. I must admit that I didn't really see that in Sydney :o

vaiva
Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:05 PM

OMGĄ That was unbelievable :haha:

vaiva
Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:16 PM
Epigone, yes, I'm from Vilnius

goldenlox
Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:06 PM
I tried to stay away from this thread, but I can't.
I have to talk :hearts: Vera:hearts:

Vera should be back in the top 10 after Miami. Unless Nadia has an incredible run in the U.S.
And considering her year before Memphis, this a great situation.
In the top 10, and still working towards her best form.

goldenlox
Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:24 PM
I believe that the gap between players is not wide. Sprem beat Venus, and now lost to Dinara.
Some of the difference is mental. Focusing on every point.
It's not easy to be in the top 10.
And in tennis, you have to prove yourself in every match.
Your opponents want to beat you today. They don't care if you've a had a better career.
All that matters is the current match.Vera has some confidence back.
Now play singles and doubles at these Tier I's.
IW & Miami means both a return to the :hearts: top 10, and a good :hearts: payday.

Epigone
Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:24 PM
This was the position Bepa was in last year. She had won Memphis, and she was knocking on the door of the top 10. Then the wheels fell off the wagon and she suffered her only loss to Dechy in six encounters last year at IW, and then lost to Craybas in Miami :o

If Bepa makes the QF at IW, she is in the top 10, unless Nadia plays extraordinary tennis. Last year, it was those "if she wins this match, she is in the top 10" matches where she came unstuck so many times :sad:.

I was very optimistic about her chances last year, and I am again this year. However, this time I feel like she is going to peak at the right time for once. We'll have to wait and see if the script from last year is changed.

goldenlox
Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:28 PM
I knew the early year slump would mean nothing, if Vera could just get her game together before IW.
That's why I was all for Pattaya and Memphis. Just get some wins.

It happened in Memphis, and now I'm very hopeful about this year. Starting in IW.

Epigone
Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:34 PM
It happened in Memphis, and now I'm very hopeful about this year. Starting in IW.But what makes this year different to last year?

goldenlox
Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:40 PM
Vera is older. More experience on court. A wiser person (I hope).
For most players, it's a gradual process.
Like Myskina. Sharapova is unusual. Normally, players progress slowly.
Vera made the YEC in 2004, but Justine and Kim weren't around.
I think over the years, Vera will prove she can make the YEC when everyone's healthy.

Epigone
Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:02 PM
She's only going to make the YEC if she picks up good quality points by beating top players.

If her mother is right, and she is dealing with stress in a more mature manner, big wins will start to come her way.

The shots are there, but she needs to keep a cool head.

Hopefully Memphis is a new beginning :)

goldenlox
Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:06 PM
I don't remember McEnroe at his best, but he went nuts between points, and won majors.
As long as Vera is focused during each point, I'm okay with crying :bigcry: :bigcry:

Epigone
Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:19 PM
I don't remember McEnroe at his best, but he went nuts between points, and won majors.
As long as Vera is focused during each point, I'm okay with crying :bigcry: :bigcry:Okay, that's the issue. There are other players who go mental, but then use that outburst to focus them for the next point. Marat is a prime example, although he has toned it down a little lately, despite breaking a racquet on a drinks cooler at the AO :D

Bepa, on the other hand, carries "negative energy" into the next point. If she makes an error during a rally when she is serving, she'll motion for a ball immediately and then try to serve ASAP. She doesn't compose herself, or focus on the next point. The previous error then may lead to a fault, and then she has an opponent ready to attack her 2nd serve.

Instead, that error and subsequent outburst (if she so chooses) should pump her up and get her focused for the next point, and then she could fire down an ace :)

goldenlox
Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:26 PM
Vera can play well when being emotional. She did that in San Diego & Montreal.
Each player is an individual. And Vera has to figure out what works best for her.
That's part of what I mean by gaining experience.
Vera wants to be the best player she can be. It's a constant learning experience.

Epigone
Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:35 PM
Vera can play well when being emotional. She did that in San Diego & Montreal.
And many other times, it can destroy her match.

Look at what tenn_ace wrote back at the US Open in 2003 Next day it was even worse. She is up 2-0 in the third set, losing next three games. The next two games after that were just tanked. She was hitting in an obvious anger, rushing so much that Meg didn't have enough time even to walk from the ad to deuce court (let alone use a towel or take a breath)... This is one of the traits that Bepa displays when she gets upset. I don't see how you can say that this helps her game :shrug:

I've seen it happen a number of times before, with her 2004 AO match against Lindsay being another good example. The commentators even noted that she was rushing far too much, and it was all because she was angry with herself.

She is unconsciously tanking because her game just shuts down when she gets into these moods.

goldenlox
Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:41 PM
That was 2003. Like I said, she's older. It's all about results.
If Vera can play well while being herself, that may be the best way to do it.
Otherwise, she's thinking about her emotions, which could hurt her focus.

vaiva
Feb 23rd, 2005, 05:30 PM
Why you two are not fighting?

goldenlox
Feb 23rd, 2005, 05:34 PM
Why you two are not fighting?Don't worry.
Sparks will fly :boxing: :banana: :bigcry: :armed: :sobbing: :woohoo:

Epigone
Feb 23rd, 2005, 11:26 PM
That was 2003. Like I said, she's older. It's all about results.
If Vera can play well while being herself, that may be the best way to do it.
Otherwise, she's thinking about her emotions, which could hurt her focus.That rushing is Bepa being herself. That kind of behaviour is unproductive.

It's fine to do whatever she wants between points, but as soon as she steps up to serve or receive, she has to have 100% focus on that point, and that point only.

If she can do that, I'll sit back and enjoy the show :)

Epigone
Feb 24th, 2005, 02:29 AM
pav, I think that you should chronicle Bepa's year in pictures :D

pav
Feb 24th, 2005, 03:04 AM
Opps I meant to delete that, I was learning how to post pics directly, and got all excited when it worked then I had to go way the hell down the hill to fix a pump and remembered I 'd left it on! I must not post pics twice
I must not post pics twice
I must no

goldenlox
Feb 24th, 2005, 03:05 PM
I don't know if Memphis means Vera is in top form, or if she just beat players who aren't top 20 quality.
I'll learn more at IW.
She'll have a good seed, and should not be tired with this week off.

Epigone
Feb 24th, 2005, 03:21 PM
I expect a stronger run than last year at both IW and Miami.

I think that Bepa realised that she needed to get her form back, and she has taken appropriate measures to do so.

I want her to be more aggressive in these upcoming tournaments if she is hitting her groundstrokes well.

goldenlox
Feb 24th, 2005, 03:28 PM
I liked the positive quotes from Vera in Memphis.
She didn't let her early season slump bother her.
Last year, Vera lost to Dechy and Craybas in these 2 Tier I's.
Dechy had a good year since. Craybas should never beat Vera.

Epigone
Feb 24th, 2005, 03:45 PM
She shouldn't have lost to either of them.

Bepa generally lived up to her ranking until after Beijing last year, but IW and Miami (as well as Berlin) really stand out as missed opportunities, as she lost to lower-ranked players at Tier I tournaments.

She needs to pick up points by advancing far in Tier I tournaments, and by getting some top 10 wins. She is yet to beat a player in the top 20 this year, so we'll have to see what happens.

goldenlox
Feb 24th, 2005, 03:58 PM
I think Vera could go deep in the draws at these Tier I's.
But she hasn't done that yet.
I know she's capable. Her summer form was good enough.
Vera knows she's capable also.
She needs to peak at the right time.

Epigone
Feb 24th, 2005, 04:08 PM
I think that Charleston, Berlin, and Rome will be more suited to her counterpunching game, while IW and Miami will be more suited to her attacking game.

In her match against Serena in LA, Bepa didn't shy away from going for her shots. In the middle of the 3rd set, Bepa and Serena had 27 winners each, and then Bepa pulled into the lead in that statistic. Not many players are capable of hitting that many winners against Serena. That's the game I want Bepa bringing to these big tournaments.

goldenlox
Feb 24th, 2005, 04:12 PM
I want any of the tennis Vera produced against Serena, Anastasia or Maria, last summer.
It was very high quality in all of those matches.
In Montreal, she kept it going against Golovin, and the first set against Mauresmo.
When she didn't close out that set, she let down.

That's something that might improve with age. Consistent mental toughness.

nick_chicane
Feb 25th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Incase any of you guys are interested, and im sure you are, ive just posted some pics in the pics section of vera that were taken at the Memphis tournament by a guy called sam(hes the guy in the pics) for us guys on the zvonareva.com forum!! I thought i'd post them on here too cause i knew you guys would like to see them too!! I think you'll all agree, their fantastic pics!! :D

Epigone
Feb 25th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Nick, thanks for the pictures :yeah:

I have a heap of Bepa pics from Sydney, but they are going into the gallery on her website

Emptiness
Feb 26th, 2005, 05:19 AM
Assuming it ever opens. ;)

Epigone
Feb 26th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Assuming it ever opens. ;)Argh, tell me about it! :shout: :lol:

However, I've been told to start getting things ready, so I'm hoping that it will be finished soon :)

nick_chicane
Feb 26th, 2005, 09:21 AM
All i can say is it better be pretty damn good to take this long to finish!! :lol:

Epigone
Feb 26th, 2005, 10:02 AM
All i can say is it better be pretty damn good to take this long to finish!! :lol:Once I get my hands on it, it will be :cool:

pav
Feb 26th, 2005, 10:38 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/kahu/bepre1a.jpg

Bepa rules

Epigone
Feb 26th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Another classic :rolls:

I guess that Bepa is a great source of inspiration :o

andrewbroad
Feb 26th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Great cartoon! :lol:

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/ (http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/)
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/zvona/ (http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/zvona/)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/verazvonareva/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/verazvonareva/)

nick_chicane
Feb 26th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Pav, Thats funny, its a shame you didnt post that earlier, i would have given it to Sam and he could have shown it to Bepa!! :lol:

Epigone
Feb 26th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Pav, Thats funny, its a shame you didnt post that earlier, i would have given it to Sam and he could have shown it to Bepa!! :lol:It could always end up on her website...:D

pav, I'll send you a PM about it ;)

Epigone
Feb 27th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Check this (http://www.wtatour.com/thewtatour/awards/2004/vote.asp) out

Vote for Your Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Fan Favorite!

Where is Bepa??? :fiery:

She's always signing autographs at their stupid Fanzone thing at tournaments, so why isn't she on the list? :shout:

In other news, Bepa has the Quote of the Week (http://www.wtatour.com/fanzone/) on WTATour.com's Fanzone page
"This was one of the most important matches of my career because it was the first time I defended a title."
- Vera Zvonareva, after winning her second straight title in Memphis

goldenlox
Feb 27th, 2005, 06:22 PM
If you look at this picture -

http://www.tennisrulz.com/players/zvonareva/gallery/017.jpg

she has a _very_ western grip. Playing on low-bouncing surfaces, such as carpet or grass won't be easy for her. Imagine hitting a forehand on low ball with this kind of grip. Fast surface must be OK, as long as it is not low bounce. Memphis was hardcourts, so it is reasonably high bounce. I would think that carpet must be the worst surface for her, grass - second worst.This is from February 2004.
I still think Vera is about the same level of player on every surface.

andrewbroad
Feb 27th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Check this (http://www.wtatour.com/thewtatour/awards/2004/vote.asp) out

Vote for Your Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Fan Favorite!

Where is Bepa??? :fiery:

Where indeed? How could they not include Bepa in a shortlist of 16? :fiery: :cuckoo:

--
Dr. Andrew Broad

_LuCaS_
Feb 27th, 2005, 09:48 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/kahu/bepre1a.jpg

Bepa rules
:lol: Go Bepa !

daniela86
Feb 27th, 2005, 10:01 PM
pav :haha: very nice cartoon :yeah:
btw, it's a shame :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: bepa isn't in the poll, i remember once,she cried after a match and signed autographs all the same :) :) and they put in the poll some players who are very distant toward their fans:o :o

Epigone
Feb 27th, 2005, 11:24 PM
This is from February 2004.
I still think Vera is about the same level of player on every surface.The oracle has spoken...

She still plays better on clay and other surfaces with a bit more bounce than she does on low bounce surfaces

Look at her results by surface:
Clay 59/17
Hard 73/43
Carpet 9/7
Grass 9/4
Total 164/78

Yes, she's had some good runs on grass, but flatter hitters can kick her her butt in the later rounds, and I think that is due in part to her grip.

However, you'll think what you think, regardless of the statistics (which you seem to love so much when they are accompanied by a $), so :shrug:

goldenlox
Feb 28th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Vera went further at Wimbledon than every Russian except Maria.
And she almost won Eastbourne.
She is excellent on fast surfaces, and with low bounces.

Epigone
Feb 28th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Vera went further at Wimbledon than every Russian except Maria.
And she almost won Eastbourne.
She is excellent on fast surfaces, and with low bounces.I think she is a great player on all surfaces, and her Wimbledon results really do show her talent because she had never played on grass before 2002.

What I'm saying is that if you had to rank her chances of winning a Slam, the French Open would be at the top of the list, and Wimbledon would be at the bottom.

In terms of the surface on which she can play her best tennis relative to the other players, her clay court abilities win out.

goldenlox
Feb 28th, 2005, 03:27 PM
I would say her best chance to win a slam is to peak in week 2.
The 2004 US Open was winnable.
The 2005 FO might be winnable.
But Vera has to be on her game.
I could see Vera in a Wimbledon semi. From there on, she would have to be on fire.

Epigone
Feb 28th, 2005, 03:39 PM
I would say her best chance to win a slam is to peak in week 2.
The 2004 US Open was winnable.
The 2005 FO might be winnable.
But Vera has to be on her game.
I could see Vera in a Wimbledon semi. From there on, she would have to be on fire.Nastya won the FO after having poor career results on clay. IMO, Bepa winning Wimbledon would trump that. There are just too many players who hit flatter shots with a lot of pace. A semi-western grip is surely a benefit to them.

I see the French Open is extremely doable. I expect her to win that title at least once in her career. I also think that she has a very good shot at the US Open if she has a good summer.

However, I don't know if she is mentally ready to take that next step. The good news is that Nastya managed it, so I am very positive about Bepa's chances.

goldenlox
Feb 28th, 2005, 03:43 PM
If Lindsay had an off day against Vera, the Wimbledon semi would have been Vera-Maria.
And Maria was down 2-6, 0-2 against Lindsay.
This year, Wimbledon will be tougher. I expect both Maria and Serena to play better.
I don't know what's going to happen at the FO.
But I know the 2004 USO was totally wide open.
And Vera's summer form might have been good enough to win it.

Epigone
Feb 28th, 2005, 03:57 PM
I don't know what's going to happen at the FO.Bepa will take the title :cool:

:wavey: Daniela, go there and cheer for her!

But I know the 2004 USO was totally wide open.
And Vera's summer form might have been good enough to win it.She has to put together seven great performance in a row. On a different day, she might not have had the meltdown against Lena D, and instead beat her 6-1 6-3. After that, who know? :shrug:

It's the unpredicatbility that is killing her. You never know when she is going to throw away a match. The same can be said for Nastya, but she kept it together for seven straight matches when it counted.

I want Bepa to treat IW and Miami as Slams. They are both 128 player draws, so she'll have to win six straight matches to take the titles. It will be a good chance to develop the focus required to win a Slam this year.

goldenlox
Feb 28th, 2005, 04:04 PM
I feel the same about Vera as I do about Anastasia, and all the players.
They shouldn't put extra stress or pressure on themselves.
Go out and have fun on court.
Vera should try her best every match, and enjoy herself.
She's an excellent player. The results will come.

Epigone
Feb 28th, 2005, 04:33 PM
I feel the same about Vera as I do about Anastasia, and all the players.
They shouldn't put extra stress or pressure on themselves.The issue isn't Bepa putting extra pressure on herself. At big tournaments, there is always pressure, and she needs to be used to it, and know how to put it out of her mind.

Bepa said that she broke down and cried at the US Open last year because there is pressure when you play in the 4th round of a GS. She needs to toughen up because the pressure will increase the further she goes in tournamanents. She should be trying to overcome these mental hurdles each time that she steps on court.

If she just wants to have fun, she should go and play Speedminton or whatever the heck that crap that Maria promotes is called. Playing tennis takes a mental toll, but the rewards will be worth the battle.

Go out and have fun on court.
Vera should try her best every match, and enjoy herself.
She's an excellent player. The results will come.Of course she should try to enjoy what she does, but there will be many tough times during her career, and she needs to know how to deal with them when they arise.

Always be prepared :cool:

goldenlox
Feb 28th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Bepa said that she broke down and cried at the US Open last year because there is pressure when you play in the 4th round of a GS. She needs to toughen up because the pressure will increase the further she goes in tournamanents. She should be trying to overcome these mental hurdles each time that she steps on court.
:cool:This is part of her growing older.
Than are always more majors, more tournaments.
You have to play your game, no matter what.
The way Vera played during the summer, she has to keep that mindset in all of her matches.

Epigone
Feb 28th, 2005, 05:01 PM
This is part of her growing older.
Than are always more majors, more tournaments.One day, there will be no next tournament because she will retire. I don't want her career to be a case of "what if...?"

You have to play your game, no matter what.If youir game isn't bringing you the best possible results, then it might be worth considering a change.

The way Vera played during the summer, she has to keep that mindset in all of her matches.No, she has to play like that, but fix the cracks in her mindset. Nothing should remain static. She should try to improve each day.

goldenlox
Feb 28th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Vera is 20, I don't think she's ready to retire.
I think there was a window in 2004, where she could have won a major, like Sveta and Anastasia.
She has to believe in her game. And not give points away because of nerves, or lack of focus.

Epigone
Feb 28th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Vera is 20, I don't think she's ready to retire.Of course she isn't ready to retire. I just don't want her to regret a whole pile of missed chances in her career.

I think there was a window in 2004, where she could have won a major, like Sveta and Anastasia.Yes, but she lost focus, which has been my point for xx months.

She has to believe in her game. And not give points away because of nerves, or lack of focus.Ah, but crying is a lack of focus, yet you encourage it ;)

goldenlox
Feb 28th, 2005, 05:26 PM
I don't mind crying, as long as you play steady.
Don't give points away. If your opponent hits winners on big points, then she's just too good.
There is nothing for Vera to regret. She is in the top 3 of all players under 22.
#11 overall.
There are thousands of players who would love to be in that situation.

Epigone
Feb 28th, 2005, 05:38 PM
I don't mind crying, as long as you play steady.I don't feel as though crying and playing steady are compatible.

Don't give points away. If your opponent hits winners on big points, then she's just too good.Or you may have played a poor shot that gave your opponent a chance to hit that winner...

There is nothing for Vera to regret. She is in the top 3 of all players under 22.
#11 overall.
There are thousands of players who would love to be in that situation.At the beginning of last year, Bepa was the highest ranked teenager in the world. Sveta and Maria were below her in the rankings. She is now the #5 ranked Russian, and that disappoints her.

goldenlox
Feb 28th, 2005, 05:42 PM
There are 4 Russians in the top 7. So there's nothing to feel bad about.
Vera is a huge success.
And I want her to believe in herself.

andrewbroad
Mar 1st, 2005, 01:39 AM
I think she is a great player on all surfaces, and her Wimbledon results really do show her talent because she had never played on grass before 2002.

What I'm saying is that if you had to rank her chances of winning a Slam, the French Open would be at the top of the list, and Wimbledon would be at the bottom.

I confirm Bepa is a very competent player on all surfaces.

I would rate her chances of winning the Grand Slams as follows:
1. French Open (Bepa is excellent in defence, and clay favours that the most, especially as it allows her to slide into her shots like when she beat Venus Williams in 2003);
2. US Open (Bepa's results on American hard courts are very impressive);
3. Wimbledon (if Bepa's serve is on and she commits to playing an aggressive all-court game, she certainly has the weapons to succeed on grass);
4. Australian Open (the extreme heat does not favour her - the sooner they move it to March, the Bepa!).

--
Dr. Andrew Broad

Epigone
Mar 1st, 2005, 01:43 PM
There are 4 Russians in the top 7. So there's nothing to feel bad about.Why wouldn't she feel bad that she isn't one of those four?

Vera is a huge success.
Some players are more of a huge success than others.

Epigone
Mar 1st, 2005, 02:02 PM

1. French Open (Bepa is excellent in defence, and clay favours that the most, especially as it allows her to slide into her shots like when she beat Venus Williams in 2003);
3. Wimbledon (if Bepa's serve is on and she commits to playing an aggressive all-court game, she certainly has the weapons to succeed on grass);
4. Australian Open (the extreme heat does not favour her - the sooner they move it to March, the Bepa!).:yeah:, but I'd swap Wimbledon and the Australian Open.

I think that Bepa is able to cope with the heat, and that her poor form in the first three tournaments of the year was due to other factors.

On grass, flatter hitters will be more difficult than on other surfaces, and she will get fewer balls back, which is a cornerstone of her normal game. If she is prepared to attack, she will be rewarded, but I still feel as though grass is her least-favoured surface, and it's the surface on which she is weakest with respect to her main opponents.

goldenlox
Mar 1st, 2005, 06:47 PM

4. Australian Open (the extreme heat does not favour her - the sooner they move it to March, the Bepa!).
I don't know what the order is, but I know the FO is the next major.
That's her next and best chance at a major.
But it's 3 months away. IW is the priority now.

nick_chicane
Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:18 AM
Hey guys, i have to agree with most of you that Bepa is very capable of winning a Grand Slam now, she most deffinitely has the game to win one, maybe if she was just to work on her serve a little more, try t make the 2nd serve abit more difficult to return but other than that i feel she has a very complete game!! Im having an argument with a Maria Sharapova fan on another forum cause i reckon Bepa has a hell of a lot more natural talent than Maria, as i like to say, i think Maria is all power and no brains!! :lol:

I dont agree with Bepa crying though, her mental state is the only thing holding her back, she needs to learn that its ok to make mistakes and that your not gonna hit every single shot perfectly everytime!! She needs to be less harsh on herself!! I think sooner the crying is cut out completely, the better!!

goldenlox
Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:23 PM
I don't think the crying matters. I think Vera has to do a better job of serving out sets, and matches.
She did that in Montreal, in sets 2&3 against Maria.
She served out both sets, in pressure situations.
At Wimbledon, she was up 3-0 in set 2 against Lindsay, and lost the set.
The best players win majors when they hold serve.

Epigone
Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:28 PM
I don't think the crying matters.Crying sure did matter at the 2004 US Open...

I think Vera has to do a better job of serving out sets, and matches.
She did that in Montreal, in sets 2&3 against Maria.
She served out both sets, in pressure situations.
At Wimbledon, she was up 3-0 in set 2 against Lindsay, and lost the set.
The best players win majors when they hold serve.Russians seem to have trouble serving out matches for some reason :scratch:

Bepa failed to serve out the match against Venus in HK this year, but on the other hand, she did serve out the doubles match in the Fed Cup final :shrug:

goldenlox
Mar 2nd, 2005, 03:04 PM
In that close 3 setter against Serena in L.A., Vera also couldn't hold her serve at the end of the match.
And against Anastasia in San Diego, Vera had many chances.
Vera is capable of serving big. Doing it at key moments is the difficult aspect.

Epigone
Mar 2nd, 2005, 03:24 PM
Her serve is one of the weakest aspects of her game. I agree with that.

But, like I've said before, when Bepa gets upset, she can really rush her serve. That leads to additional errors.

That's why the crying matters. It suggests a certain frame of mind, and I don't think that frame of mind is conducive to producing her best tennis.

goldenlox
Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:32 PM
Vera has to focus on the court. If she is thinking about not crying, then she's not concentrating on the match.
She can do it. She did it last summer.
Some emotions, and a lot of good tennis.

pav
Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:36 PM
I must admit when Bepa is serving for a match, I feel like ,or actually do leave the scoreboard(what a supporter!) :o

nick_chicane
Mar 2nd, 2005, 09:15 PM
Thats totally understandable Pav,ive done the same in the past, i cant watch when Bepa has to serve a match out, especially if its against a very good player, cause i get so frustrated and annoyed if she messes it up!!

Epigone
Mar 2nd, 2005, 11:14 PM
If she is thinking about not crying, then she's not concentrating on the match.If she is thinking "everything is falling apart", and crying in depair, she is not going to play her best tennis.

andrewbroad
Mar 2nd, 2005, 11:52 PM
Im having an argument with a Maria Sharapova fan on another forum cause i reckon Bepa has a hell of a lot more natural talent than Maria, as i like to say, i think Maria is all power and no brains!! :lol:

No way!

Мария is an intelligent tactician, able to adapt her game to different styles of opponent, and to work out a rally as it unfolds, regardless of what her game-plan going into the match might be. And Мария had this combination of power and brain-power when she was ten years old.

In the latter stages of Wimbledon 2004 (quarter-final and semi-final), you could see Мария learning from her tactical mistakes as the match progressed, when other young players would have lost the match and only learned from the experience later, with the aid of their coaches.

These qualities also apply to Bepa to a large extent.

If I could see a live match between any two players right now, I'd choose my two Russians, Мария and Bepa. They are both beautiful strikers of the ball, and Bepa's aggressive retrieval-skills and terrific fighting spirit provide the perfect foil for Мария's tremendous passion and her amazing power-game of many winners.

It would be so cool if Мария and Bepa could meet in the final of the French Open.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/shara/ (http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/shara/)

Epigone
Mar 3rd, 2005, 10:09 AM
I must admit when Bepa is serving for a match, I feel like ,or actually do leave the scoreboard(what a supporter!) :o
Thats totally understandable Pav,ive done the same in the past, i cant watch when Bepa has to serve a match out, especially if its against a very good player, cause i get so frustrated and annoyed if she messes it up!!:o

I always follow the scoreboard until the match has finished. Just remember that Bepa served for the match in two of her best victories - the 2004 Memphis final, and the doubles match in the 2004 Fed Cup final.

It was worth sticking around to watch those victories come up on the screen :)

nick_chicane
Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:39 AM
But its twice as annoying if she messes it up!! More times than not, she has!! :sad:

Epigone
Mar 3rd, 2005, 01:38 PM
But its twice as annoying if she messes it up!! More times than not, she has!! :sad:Of course, but you have to take the good with the bad.

Bepa and Lex have to see those matches through, and so do I :)

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:31 PM
It would be so cool if Мария and Bepa could meet in the final of the French Open.
That would be Vera's first slam final. I think I would enjoy that one.

Epigone
Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:36 PM
That would be Vera's first slam final. I think I would enjoy that one.So would I, as Bepa is better than Maria on clay.

If Bepa had not been sick at RG last year, the tournament could have been quite different...

daniela86
Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:32 PM
That would be Vera's first slam final. I think I would enjoy that one.
me too :D I agree with you guys:yeah: i think that bepa can win RG this year because there are no clay court specialists among top 20 players (exept maybe petrova) and it's definitly her best chance to win a grand slam.On clay,serve isn't as important as in other surfaces so even if she doesn't improve until RG, she will have a chance to win it all the same :)But she needs a good preparation and that is why i hope she'll meet some good players at Rome or Berlin. And Epi, of course that i will go there to cheer for our Bepa! :) :) :D

Epigone
Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:46 PM
me too :D I agree with you guys:yeah: i think that bepa can win RG this year because there are no clay court specialists among top 20 players (exept maybe petrova) and it's definitly her best chance to win a grand slam.Bepa vs Nadia would be a great final for me, but I'd like a different result to their match in 2003 :angel:

But she needs a good preparation and that is why i hope she'll meet some good players at Rome or Berlin.I want her to win a tournament or two on clay before RG. I want her fully prepared to take her first GS singles title :yeah:

And Epi, of course that i will go there to cheer for our Bepa! :) :) :DExcellent :D :banana: :dance:

nick_chicane
Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:51 PM
Of course, but you have to take the good with the bad.

Bepa and Lex have to see those matches through, and so do I :)

Yeah, but Bepa at least can do something about it!! I cant do anything sat in my arm chair!! The pain and frustration i went through when watching the Dementieva match is enough to put you off watching her!! lol You could see what was happening to her but you couldnt do anything to help her!! You just wanted to go up there and just shake some sense back into her!! :lol:

nick_chicane
Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:56 PM
Wouldnt it be just great for her to win RG!! :D I'd like to be able to shut up this smug Sharapova fan that im arguing with while shes at it too!! :lol: I want Bepa to play Maria in the final and give her a good spanking!! lol

Epigone
Mar 3rd, 2005, 04:12 PM
I'd like to be able to shut up this smug Sharapova fan that im arguing with while shes at it too!! :lol:On which board are you debating this person?

I want Bepa to play Maria in the final and give her a good spanking!! lolI don't want Maria getting finals points :o. I'd rather Nadia play her, since their RG QF match had some great rallies and was quite entertaining, despite the result.

nick_chicane
Mar 3rd, 2005, 05:43 PM
[QUOTE=Epigone]On which board are you debating this person?

If youve seen on the zvonareva.com forum there are some posts from a girl called Katie telling everyone about her forum, its in there that im having the argument!! Basically i think Bepa has more natural talent than Maria and i also believe that a Bepa with total control over herself would beat Maria quite comfortably like she did to Capriati!! He obviously totally disagrees with me and just thinks Bepa is rubbish!!

nick_chicane
Mar 3rd, 2005, 05:44 PM
I don't want Maria getting finals points :o. I'd rather Nadia play her, since their RG QF match had some great rallies and was quite entertaining, despite the result.

Ok, well i'll settle for Bepa putting her out in the 4th round then to damage her points!! :lol:

Epigone
Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:26 PM
Basically i think Bepa has more natural talent than Maria and i also believe that a Bepa with total control over herself would beat Maria quite comfortably like she did to Capriati!! He obviously totally disagrees with me and just thinks Bepa is rubbish!!Bepa and Maria have been groomed in two different ways. I think that Bepa is a much more versatile player, and can produce a wider array of shots, but I think that Maria has been trained to be very strong mentally.

IMO, a mentally strong Bepa with a solid serve would be more than a match for Maria.

andrewbroad
Mar 4th, 2005, 12:33 AM
So would I, as Bepa is better than Maria on clay.

If Bepa had not been sick at RG last year, the tournament could have been quite different...

I hope they have plenty of head-to-heads on clay, then we'll see who's Bepa! ;) One meeting on clay (won by Мария - let's not make excuses) doesn't say much about who's better.

Clay is the one surface that should favour Bepa against Мария, as it enables Bepa to use her slide-and-smack retrieval-skills, and Мария struggles most against opponents/surfaces where a lot of balls come back.

I agree that Bepa is more versatile and unpredictable than Мария. She is able to play the role of baseliner, retriever, or all-court player, depending on her opponent and the conditions. Watching Bepa knock Venus Williams out of the French Open 2003, and then watching her take Jennifer Capriati to the cleaners at Philadelphia 2004, it's like watching two different players!

But nobody - not even a red-hot Bepa - could ever beat the brilliant Мария 6-0 6-1. Мария has never in her career won fewer than three games in a match (except at Indian Wells 2002 where the even more brilliant Monica Seles beat the 14-year-old Мария 6-0 6-2).

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/shara/ (http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/shara/)

Epigone
Mar 5th, 2005, 03:02 PM
There has been some recent debate about why Bepa struggled earlier in the year, and then played great tennis and won Memphis.
IMO, it's because her serve picked up dramatically, and I've compiled these stats from the Australian Open and Memphis to illustrate my point.

http://img171.exs.cx/img171/5720/bepastats4od.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us/)

The general trends were that she picked up her 1st serve percentage, increased her number of aces, greatly decreased her number of double faults, dramatically increased the percentage of points won on her second serve, and despite facing a large number of break points, she was only broken five times during the entire tournament.

To me, this suggests that she struggled because of her serve, and when it improved, so did her results :)

goldenlox
Mar 5th, 2005, 03:04 PM
I wouldn't call going through that draw "great tennis".
Vera has to show her stuff now, in these Tier I's.

Epigone
Mar 5th, 2005, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't call going through that draw "great tennis".Considering where she was earlier in the year, it was great tennis. She minimised her errors, and beat some pretty good players.

Vera has to show her stuff now, in these Tier I's.If she takes her serve from Memphis to IW and Miami, she'll be much better off than she was last year.

goldenlox
Mar 5th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Vera still hasn't beaten a top 40 player in 2005.
These super Tier I's are the time to do it.

Epigone
Mar 5th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Bepa is currently 17 points behind Jen, with 57 points to come off next week.

She can get 75 points (excluding quality points) by making the QF of IW, and that will put her in the top 10 :D

goldenlox
Mar 5th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Vera should be back in the top 10 in 2 weeks.
But staying there will require some wins over top 40 players.
And top 20 players.

Epigone
Mar 5th, 2005, 03:39 PM
GL, she has plenty of wins over top 20 players. Top 10 players are a different story :o, but that will change this year :)

Yes, she has had a slow start to the season, but she can pick up huge points at the next two tournaments, and then have a great clay season.

As long as she doesn't start dropping in the rankings, I'm not concerned

goldenlox
Mar 5th, 2005, 03:43 PM
It's amazing Vera gets to move back into the top 10 with her 2005 results.
I want to see Vera play her best tennis. And improve from there.

Epigone
Mar 5th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Very true. When players are injured for a long time, these things happen.

I wanted some great play from Bepa to propel her into the top 10, so it's a bit disappointing that it might happen this way. However, like you say, she will need good play to keep her in the top 10, so I'm looking forward to that :)

The real reason that I want Bepa to get back into the top 10 so that she can be included in MaSharapovaFan's polls about top 10 players in the GM forum :secret:

goldenlox
Mar 5th, 2005, 04:08 PM
5 Russians in the YEC was very cool. I'd like to see Vera play well enough to get there again.

Epigone
Mar 5th, 2005, 05:24 PM
I'd like her to play well enough to get there, but I won't be fussed if she doesn't make it.

A GS title this year would be good enough for me :D

goldenlox
Mar 5th, 2005, 05:25 PM
I think Vera would be satisfied with her 2005 season if she won a major.

Epigone
Mar 5th, 2005, 05:34 PM
I think Vera would be satisfied with her 2005 season if she won a major.Or the Kremlin Cup...

However, I'd rather she win a Slam now, and the Kremlin Cup later because then people would stop :rolleyes: at her.

She is a great player, and should be a real threat at big tournaments.

Why can't she show her talent when it counts? :shrug:

goldenlox
Mar 5th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Why can't she show her talent when it counts? :shrug:That's every player's goal.
Don't leave your best tennis on the practice court.
Play it week 2 of a major.

pav
Mar 7th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Bepa's Breakhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/kahu/BepasBreakq.jpg

andrewbroad
Mar 7th, 2005, 09:01 PM
^ Keep up the good work, pav! :D

--
Dr. Andrew Broad

Epigone
Mar 7th, 2005, 11:02 PM
The IW main draw is out, and Bepa is missing :confused: :confused: :confused:

What is going on???????? :bigcry: :sobbing:

andrewbroad
Mar 7th, 2005, 11:11 PM
and we don't even know why! :sad:

She's mentioned in the Indian Wells preview at wtatour.com (http://www.wtatour.com/), but isn't listed under "Withdrawals" on the draw.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/zvona/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/verazvonareva/

TartarVicario
Mar 8th, 2005, 01:48 AM
Yeah what's on earth?! :sad:

I tried to find her name as well and I hoped she will play doubles with Sveta here :sad:.

Epigone
Mar 8th, 2005, 02:17 AM
She said she was playing here, so it is a little strange.

She hasn't played that much tennis lately, so it unlikely that she is tired

Maybe she has a cold? :shrug:

I'll try to find out.

TartarVicario
Mar 8th, 2005, 02:47 AM
I guess she's gonna rest for 4 weeks after that she will have a busy schedule on clay court.

Epigone
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:06 AM
She said that she would play Memphis, IW, and Miami, so I don't know why she would rest now.
Two weeks should have been sufficient rest, and her mother said this after Memphis: Наверное, позвонит уже из Майами. Такое сказочное место, а Вере предстоит пахать там две недели перед серией “миллионников” (так обычно называют турниры первой категории WTA).Basically, she'll train in Miami for two weeks before playing in a Tier I (IW).

Unless she was injured during training (please don't be injured :sad: ), I think she must be sick. I don't think skipping IW was at all planned.

pav
Mar 8th, 2005, 05:38 AM
I'm devastated :tears: :sobbing: :speakles: :shrug: :bigcry: :banghead: :awww: :fiery: :confused:

Gowza
Mar 8th, 2005, 05:49 AM
vera, comeback soon!

Epigone
Mar 8th, 2005, 06:06 AM
This tournament was supposed to put her into the top 10 :crying2:

Last year, she kept losing at the final hurdle before the top 10, and this time she isn't playing in the tournament that could put her into the top 10 :sad:

Still, a QF in Miami will get her there, just so long as Nadia doesn't score around 200 more points than her at the next two tournaments.

nick_chicane
Mar 8th, 2005, 06:39 AM
God, i was hoping you guys might have been able to enlighten me on Bepa's disappearing act but clearly you dont know either!! This is very strange, lets just hope nothing more serious has happened!! :sad:

pav
Mar 8th, 2005, 08:11 AM
This article mentions Her withdrawing ,but no reason

http://www.latimes.com/sports/tennis/la-sp-tennisdraw8mar08,1,1570900.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-tennis&ctrack=1&cset=true

nick_chicane
Mar 8th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Well that seems very strange that theres no reason to why shes withdrawn!! Makes you wonder if everything is ok!! :sad:

Epigone
Mar 8th, 2005, 11:55 AM
It could be something as simple as a cold or a slight muscle strain.

However, a cold would probably have cleared by the time she would have played, so :shrug:

goldenlox
Mar 8th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Vera didn't have to play until Friday, so this could be serious.

nick_chicane
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:45 PM
It makes you wonder if theres a problem behind the scenes in her personal life!! Its not like Bepa not to give a reason for withdrawing from the tournament and i know 1st hand that she wanted to play this tournament from what Sam asked her when he talked to her at Memphis!!

goldenlox
Mar 8th, 2005, 04:06 PM
I don't know what's going on, but Vera rarely passes a tournament like this when she's healthy.