PDA

View Full Version : Vera Zvonareva rise to the top thread !!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

Frank
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Bad loss. :sad:

I hope she'll get over this quickly...

Daniel
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Vera :sad: :sad:

Epigone
Jan 19th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Bepa and Nastya start their doubles campaign on Thursday

They are third up on Court 13

Bepa has the ability to put disappointing loses behind her and perform very well in doubles (see US Open mixed doubles and Kremlin Cup), so I am very optimistic :)

Udachi!!!

daniela86
Jan 19th, 2005, 01:32 PM
yeah, bepa has to focus on double now, i'm sure she can do something good here to cheer her (and us) up!! udachi nastya and bepa and bepa and bob in mixed double (happy to see them playing together again and be seeded!!) :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :yippee:
i have nothing to say about her single performance exept :o :o :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: poor bepa!! :hug: :hug: i hope she'll work very hard after this oz open in order to have a great clay season!! ;) btw, i'm happy she lost against someone whom i like :) :) even if i was very disappointing and mad :sad: :o

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Vera hasn't played well yet this year.
It's a long year.
Be positive, and look forward. You have a tremendous talent.
Keep working, and compete for every point in your matches.
Vera will turn things around.

DEETHELICK
Jan 19th, 2005, 02:36 PM
It was a shame and a sad loss, I really thought she could take out Sveta and even Maria later on. Her work ethic and dedication is unquestionable.

Vera is taking a long time to make the mental breakthrough required to be an elite player. She reached the Top 10 last year, but I believe to really prove yourself in that arena, you need to maintain a position within it.

C'mon Vera, be emotional, however focus on the match and points played. Her serve really seems to be erratic. When I last saw her, her serve was amazing.

Good luck in doubles... :)

KV
Jan 19th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Not good display from Vera Z. though surely better things are to come. Happily she lost on her off-day to Vera D.

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Vera and Bob Bryan are the #5 seeds in mixed.
You can still have a successful AO, Vera.
And you can still have a big year in singles.
Just keep working, and compete for every point in your matches.

pav
Jan 19th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Have You seen this rather strange article? perhaps something was lost in the translation!

http://www.kommersant.com/page.asp?id=537446

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Vera had a great draw. Vera D., then ALG in the third round.
If she misses the YEC, I'll remember those days in Australia:eek:
But now - doubles and mixed. Bring home some cash:D

deep bass
Jan 19th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Have You seen this rather strange article? perhaps something was lost in the translation!

http://www.kommersant.com/page.asp?id=537446

Goodness me. I'm gobsmacked.

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2005, 05:25 PM
http://img116.exs.cx/img116/8408/mel1200118211024x7682qi.jpg

Russia's Vera Zvonareva reacts to a lost point during her second round match against compatriot Vera Douchevina at the Australian Open at Melbourne Park, Melbourne, Australia, Wednesday, Jan. 19, 2005. Douchevina defeated the ninth seeded Zvonareva in straight sets 6-3 6-3. (AP Photo/Mark Baker)

This racquet probably ended up trashed :oVera started this year very slowly.
I think that means she will play a lot of tournaments this year:p

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2005, 05:27 PM
http://img86.exs.cx/img86/9967/stats0oj.jpg

Her serving was terrible, and she won only 38% of receiving points

She converted 100% of break points, but only managed to bring up two :sad:

I don't know what to say :bigcry:Vera is not playing good tennis now.
She has had slumps before.
It's just too bad because the draw was kind.

Epigone
Jan 19th, 2005, 05:29 PM

http://www.kommersant.com/page.asp?id=537446Some of the stuff written in that article made me :scared:

But I like this:Vera Zvonareva has mythological Slavic features- fair complexion, turned up nose. Unlike her rivals, who have an “international” look, she symbolizes the country more. It’s quite possible that the main contracts are waiting for her in Russia.
Everything about Bepa is so Russian :)

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2005, 05:29 PM
http://img19.exs.cx/img19/6763/veratowels0qf.jpg
I hope this is the end for this outfit:wavey:

Epigone
Jan 19th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Vera had a great draw. Vera D., then ALG in the third round.
If she misses the YEC, I'll remember those days in Australia:eek:
But now - doubles and mixed. Bring home some cash:DThe draw is wide open, but Bepa can't serve a ball into a square to save herself :banghead:

However, if you think that Bepa is thnking about bringing home cash right now, you're :cuckoo:

Also, I couldn't care less about the YEC. I think that some of her problems now have been carried over from the end of last year, and the push to make the YEC has left her ill-prepared for the start of 2005.

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2005, 05:39 PM
As long as Vera is playing, she should be focused on winning.
That includes doubles. If she doesn't want her doubles money, give it to Lex.

Epigone
Jan 19th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Vera is not playing good tennis now.
She has had slumps before.
It's just too bad because the draw was kind.This is what she gets for not preparing properly for the start of the season.

She shouldn't have played Hong Kong if her serve was so bad.

She should have spent time working on her serve, rather than going to stupid social functions.

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Also, I couldn't care less about the YEC.Then go back with your true love, Hantuchova:rolleyes:

Epigone
Jan 19th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Then go back with your true love, Hantuchova:rolleyes:How about you go and post about players you actually like :)

Thinking about the YEC after two poor tournaments to start the season is foolish. The goal should be to stay healthy and win tournaments. If the YEC happens, it happens.

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Thinking about the YEC after two poor tournaments to start the season is foolish. The goal should be to stay healthy and win tournaments. If the YEC happens, it happens.The YEC means you had a strong year.
This start is just the beginning of 2005.
Winning in tennis is not easy. Every match is difficult.

Epigone
Jan 19th, 2005, 06:13 PM
The YEC means you had a strong year.
Winning in tennis is not easy. Every match is difficult.You're the one who said "if Vera doesn't make the YEC...". I just don't think that should be of concern two tournaments into the season.

I feel that Bepa will be much stronger on clay this year than in 2004, but that doesn't concern me right now. I want her out on the practice courts to fix that serve. She has to defend her Memphis title.

the cat
Jan 19th, 2005, 06:43 PM
I agree with Epi that Vera hasn't fully recoverd from her hard push to make the YEC last year. She probably didn't have much of an offseason either. I just hope Vera won't be climbing uphill all 2005. If she needs to take a few weeks off to regroup then she should.

Epigone
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Bepa/Nastya won their 1st round doubles match 7-6(5) 6-3 :woohoo:

Following the score, they looked to be quite inconsistent, as they often threw away game points, and converted only 4 of 10 BPs.

They had only 2 double faults, but it would have been nice if Bepa had served that number YESTERDAY! :p

pav
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Bepa/Nastya won their 1st round doubles match 7-6(5) 6-3 :woohoo:

Following the score, they looked to be quite inconsistent, as they often threw away game points, and converted only 4 of 10 BPs.

They had only 2 double faults, but it would have been nice if Bepa had served that number YESTERDAY! :p
At least over the first hurdle! hell, the scoreboard was taking its sweet time the tiebreak seemed to last half an hour(unless Bepa called for a towel and had a timeout under it!

Foot's Fingers
Jan 20th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Congrats with doubles win Vera
Nice to see that she decide to play mixed with Bob again

Good Luck!!!

Epigone
Jan 20th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Mixed doubles draw
[1] Daniel Nestor CAN / Rennae Stubbs AUS vs. Peter Pala CZE / Roberta Vinci ITA
Mariano Hood ARG / Maria Vento-Kabchi VEN vs. Luke Bourgeois AUS / Sophie Ferguson AUS
Andy Ram ISR / Conchita Martinez ESP vs. Carlos Moya ESP / Flavia Pennetta ITA
Gaston Etlis ARG / Emilie Loit FRA vs. [8] Leos Friedl CZE / Janette Husarova SVK

[3] Mahesh Bhupathi IND / Lisa Raymond USA vs. Wayne Arthurs AUS / Trudi Musgrave AUS
Martin Damm CZE / Els Callens BEL vs. Paul Hanley AUS / Corina Morariu USA
Mark Knowles BAH / Daniela Hantuchova SVK vs. Scott Draper AUS / Samantha Stosur AUS
Cyril Suk CZE / Lisa McShea AUS vs. [6] Nenad Zimonjic SCG / Elena Likhovtseva RUS

[5] Bob Bryan USA / Vera Zvonareva RUS vs. Martin Rodriguez ARG / Emmanuelle Gagliardi SUI
Simon Aspelin SWE / Zi Yan CHN vs. Jared Palmer USA / Janet Lee TPE
Julian Knowle AUT / Barbara Schett AUT vs. Yen-Hsun Lu TPE / Nannan Liu CHN
Todd Perry AUS / Milagros Sequera VEN vs. [4] Kevin Ullyett ZIM / Liezel Huber RSA

[7] Max Mirnyi BLR / Martina Navratilova USA vs. Todd Woodbridge AUS / Eleni Daniilidou GRE
Pavel Vizner CZE / Nicole Pratt AUS vs. Nathan Healey AUS / Evie Dominikovic AUS
Rick Leach USA / Virginia Ruano Pascual ESP vs. Jonathan Erlich ISR / Tiantian Sun CHN
Peter Luczak AUS / Jaslyn Hewitt AUS vs. [2] Wayne Black ZIM / Cara Black ZIM

Let's hope that Bepa and Bob can make it two consecutive mixed doubles titles :)

Daniel
Jan 20th, 2005, 09:40 AM
good luck in doubles and mixed :D

Epigone
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:06 AM
I know that everyone is probably a little :sad: at the moment, so I thought I'd post a pic from Sydney to make you :).

Yeah, it's not the greatest picture ever, but I have lots of good ones that will be in the gallery on her website ;)

http://img84.exs.cx/img84/4111/bepasydney0qr.jpg

This is one of the few pictures of Lex that I've seen. Yes, his face is hidden, but you'll get to see it later :D.

In this pic, he was working on a footwork drill with Bepa.

Like I've said previously, Lex is hilarious, so I couldn't begin to imagine how much fun it would be to hang out with Lex and Glen Schaap :cool:

goldenlox
Jan 20th, 2005, 02:08 PM
The YEC means you had a strong year.
Winning in tennis is not easy. Every match is difficult.It's important for Vera to keep a positive attitude.
In 20 years, she should look back at her career, and think about how much fun it was.
Right now, it's all about focus during practice, and trying to regain her form.

Epigone
Jan 20th, 2005, 02:20 PM
It's important for Vera to keep a positive attitude.
In 20 years, she should look back at her career, and think about how much fun it was.
Right now, it's all about focus during practice, and trying to regain her form.She's not having fun at the moment. She has one won singles match all year, and her game is failing her.

However, I think that a good result in doubles will help her settle into a groove, and she can start building from there. February is an important month for Bepa, as she has to defend her Memphis title.

goldenlox
Jan 20th, 2005, 02:25 PM
It will be hard for Vera to get back to her best form.
But you can't change past results.
Vera has to look ahead, and stay focused when she is on the court.

Epigone
Jan 20th, 2005, 02:42 PM
The problem is that practice can only help up to a certain point.

Bepa can be serving really well in practice, but when she gets into a match and makes an unforced error during a rally, that's still on her mind when she goes to serve. Double faults also play on her mind when she is serving.

She has great difficulty clearing her mind and preparing for the next point, so she is more conscious of her errors in matches than in practice.

Her DF on match point was a perfect example. Her service motion looked really unnatural. It wasn't a regular second serve, but an attempt to just push the ball over the net. IMO, the previous 10 DFs were on her mind, and she was trying to prevent another one by taking it really easy, which in fact resulted in an error.

goldenlox
Jan 20th, 2005, 02:49 PM
It will be hard for Vera to get back to her best form.
But you can't change past results.
Vera has to look ahead, and stay focused when she is on the court.Vera plays too many tournaments, imo.
So not playing a lot in the Australian heat might work out okay later in the year.

I'm still very optimistic about Vera's 2005 tennis.
But it might take a while before she reaches her summer 2004 form.

Epigone
Jan 20th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Vera plays too many tournaments, imo.
So not playing a lot in the Australian heat might work out okay later in the year.I think it's more an issue of timing, rather than absolute number of tournaments played.

For instance, Bepa will play Memphis, starting February 14th, and may not play again until Indian Wells, which starts March 7th. If I was advising her, I'd suggest playing Acapulco (which she entered last year, only to withdraw). Otherwise, she'd have to play Doha and Dubai in order to make the trip over there worthwhile.

Basically, she could play two tournaments in five weeks, which is quite a bit different to the five in six weeks that she played at the end of last year.

Playing a lot of tournaments can be okay, but only if she allows enough time for rest and recovery.

But it might take a while before she reaches her summer 2004 form.I think that her form on clay will be much better this year, and I can see her winning some titles.

goldenlox
Jan 20th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Vera plays too many tournaments, imo.
So not playing a lot in the Australian heat might work out okay later in the year.

But it might take a while before she reaches her summer 2004 form.Vera has to remember that it took years of hard work to reach the YEC.
It will take more hard work to get that form back.
So she can't let these losses upset her.
It just means she has to keep working.
Every player has these down periods.

Epigone
Jan 20th, 2005, 03:24 PM
GL, you are amazing :shrug:

To kinda address your point, Bepa should never have made the YEC last year. Lex and her agent were very surprised when she changed the destination of her plane ticket from Moscow to Philadelphia in an attempt to qualify for the YEC.

I think that extra push at the end, and then being ultra tired at the YEC has knocked Bepa around, and I think that her form will come back once she has recovered. I also don't think that playing the extra unscheduled matches in Hong Kong did her any favours.

I'm hoping that two great doubles campaigns and an easy February are what she needs to get her game back in time for IW and Miami.

goldenlox
Jan 20th, 2005, 03:57 PM
GL, you are amazing.That's true.
But I can't hit the ball for Vera.
She has to do it herself.

Epigone
Jan 20th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Wanna read something weird? link (http://www.zvonareva.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=143&page=2)
Nick, you also talked about how different this forum is, and I definitely get your point. I mean, when you visit wtaworld's forum, and all others for the matter, all they talk about are things completely unrelated to tennis. And I'm not saying that such things should never be commented or talked about, of course they should but not as the one and only topic in a discussion which is supposed to be about an athlete who plays a sport called tennis, which by the way, the people from such forums have never heard about or if they in deed have heard about it they don't understand it, at all.:retard: :cuckoo:

But I can't hit the ball for Vera.
She has to do it herself.:lol:

For the time being, could we please not discuss the YEC?

Bepa needs to take it one tournament at a time.
If she wins titles, she should make the YEC, but that's still a long way off.
If she does get there, I hope it's because of some big title wins, and not because she exhausted herself by playing 25 tournaments.

(•_•)
Jan 20th, 2005, 04:10 PM
I know that everyone is probably a little :sad: at the moment, so I thought I'd post a pic from Sydney to make you :).

Yeah, it's not the greatest picture ever, but I have lots of good ones that will be in the gallery on her website ;)

http://img84.exs.cx/img84/4111/bepasydney0qr.jpg

This is one of the few pictures of Lex that I've seen. Yes, his face is hidden, but you'll get to see it later :D.

In this pic, he was working on a footwork drill with Bepa.

Like I've said previously, Lex is hilarious, so I couldn't begin to imagine how much fun it would be to hang out with Lex and Glen Schaap :cool:

Please, can you post some more pics? :)

goldenlox
Jan 20th, 2005, 04:11 PM
That guy nick is worse than you, Epi. Why don't you post there:lol: ?
Vera's game is a work in progress.
Like Luke Jensen said last summer.
There's a time to hit out, and a time to play safe.
Vera still has to learn to make those quick judgements.

Epigone
Jan 20th, 2005, 04:26 PM
That guy nick is worse than you, Epi. Why don't you post there:lol: ?I like it here. I can use bright colours and smilies in my posts on this board :) :cool: :yippee:

Vera's game is a work in progress.
Like Luke Jensen said last summer.
There's a time to hit out, and a time to play safe.
Vera still has to learn to make those quick judgements.Her problems at the moment aren't caused by not knowing which shot to play. It's the execution of her shots that are causing the problems. She generally plays the correct shots, but I think she might be forcing them.

The same with her serve. I think that she knows where to place the ball, but when she pulls the trigger, the ball doesn't go where she wants it to go.

I don't really think that there are huge technical problems with her game (except for the way she positions her feet on her running BH). I just think that her head is sending her body the wrong messages at the time of impact, and that is causing balls to go wide or long.

If she was more relaxed and didn't keep remembering past errors, her shots would flow much more naturally and result in winners. When she is hitting winners and is happy with how she is playing, she can play amazing tennis. The key is to get her in that frame of mind where she is satisfied with her play.

goldenlox
Jan 20th, 2005, 04:32 PM
I'm not going to pretend I can micro-analyze her mechanics.
There's no one correct form anyway.
Vera showed last summer she can play at a top 10 level.
Right now, she's far away from that level.

This happens. Sveta, after Eastbourne, went into a slump.
And then she won the US Open.
Vera has to keep her focus. Her game will come back.
And she'll be better than ever.
Her career arc is still on the upswing.

Emptiness
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:04 PM
You guys love to write essays don't you? http://www.imagelink.org/id36210.gif

Vera just need to take it easy and learn to stop berating herself so harshly, shes so self-deprecating and lacks some self-confidence. Confidence is what helps a players push themselves to that extra step.. I don't think she will improve unless she gets a better sense of self.

http://www.kommersant.com/page.asp?id=537446I don't think i've ever been so disturbed in my entire life. http://www.imagelink.org/id37688.gif

Wanna read something weird? link (http://www.zvonareva.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=143&page=2)I didn't know there was a Vera forum. I like this one better. :)

pav
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:43 AM
Oh No! does that mean We can only talk about Boyfriends.sex,clothes,and what Lex's face looks like and no tennis on this forum? :sobbing:

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2005, 04:40 AM
Bepa and Nastya survived an absolutely horrific serving display to win their 2nd round doubles match 7-6(4) 6-7(3) 7-6(4) :o :woohoo:

I was about to roll my desk out of frustration at *2-5 in the 3rd set, but they fought back really well, and served for the match at 6-5. However, after two great holds, they were broken :banghead:.

They also led 6-2 in the TB, before finally sealing the match :)

Emptiness
Jan 21st, 2005, 04:52 AM
Horrible.

I don't understand why you want Vera to play doubles.

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2005, 05:30 AM
I don't understand why you want Vera to play doubles.[GL mode]Players can earn money by playing doubles. Money is the most important thing in the whole wide world[/GL mode]

Here are a few reasons that I want Bepa playing doubles:
1. I think it tests her mentally, and the more she is used to being under pressure, the better she will hopefully be able to deal with it.
2. It will hopefully, with time, give her better court awareness and more confidence at the net.
3. It gives her a chance to hang out with one of her best friends. I think, despite all of the screaming and racquet abuse, they have fun playing together.
4. Without being able to play doubles, she probably wouldn't have played in the Fed Cup final -> being able to play doubles allows her team captain to play her different ways
5. She wasn't going to be doing anything else this week, so there was no point in withdrawing.

pav
Jan 21st, 2005, 06:04 AM
[GL mode]Players can earn money by playing doubles. Money is the most important thing in the whole wide world[/GL mode]

Here are a few reasons that I want Bepa playing doubles:
1. I think it tests her mentally, and the more she is used to being under pressure, the better she will hopefully be able to deal with it.
2. It will hopefully, with time, give her better court awareness and more confidence at the net.
3. It gives her a chance to hang out with one of her best friends. I think, despite all of the screaming and racquet abuse, they have fun playing together.
4. Without being able to play doubles, she probably wouldn't have played in the Fed Cup final -> being able to play doubles allows her team captain to play her different ways
5. She wasn't going to be doing anything else this week, so there was no point in withdrawing.
all those points are good, and You would think going through Womens and mixed doubles, would start to teach her it isn't the end of the world when things go wrong in a match(not much sign of it rubbing off in single play yet)

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2005, 06:25 AM
all those points are good, and You would think going through Womens and mixed doubles, would start to teach her it isn't the end of the world when things go wrong in a match(not much sign of it rubbing off in single play yet)tenn_ace made a post during the US Open saying that Bob Bryan was really good with Bepa, and would give her encouragement after points. He said that Bob even managed to get her to smile :). Bob has time to think about Bepa's wellbeing because he isn't a hotheaded Russian.

When Bepa and Nastya play together, they will sometimes smile, but they are basically trying to control their own mental demons when they are on court. However, I do think that they draw strength from each other when they play together. Afterall, Nastya says that Bepa is her superfriend :)

Nevertheless, despite having a friend oncourt with her, Bepa can still get very emotional. Some people here may have seen the pic that I took of Bepa and Nastya after their doubles loss in Sydney last year. I haven't posted it here because it isn't exactly the prettiest sight, and I think that Bepa haters would laugh at it :mad: . However, it very clearly shows that Bepa takes doubles just as seriously as she takes singles :o. If people want it, they can PM me ;)

Jamesss
Jan 21st, 2005, 07:00 AM
Is valium on the WADA banned substances list?

More of Bob and Vera would be fantastic. I think Bob (and Mike) both have a great attitude on and off court and more importantly they don't take things too seriously! Although that b :mad: tch giving them foot faults in Sydney was pissing them off. Other than that, Mike and Nastya would be interesting too :smooch:.

Someone really needs to tell Lex to consider consulting a sports psychologist, not just to help with her "breakdowns" but it would also give her an edge on some other players stamina wise.

Cheering for you Vera! :wavey:

Emptiness
Jan 21st, 2005, 07:12 AM
Send that picture to me please Martin?

Afterall, Nastya says that Bepa is her superfriend :)Anastasia had to have been drinking when she made that comment.

Those are good points but i think you place a bit too much importance and hope on doubles. Vera should concentrate on singles and use doubles as a past time. As i think doubles and singles differ like a practice match and a real match. They involve different pressures.

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2005, 07:24 AM
As i think doubles and singles differ like a practice match and a real match. They involve different pressures.However, one aspect that singles and doubles share is that, to Bepa, an error is a failing, no matter the circumstances. The difference is that she has someone telling her to cheer up when she is playing doubles.

I'll send you the pic when I get home, and you'll see what I mean. Nastya is also an intense player, but you'll see that they have two very different reactions to a loss in doubles.

Daniel
Jan 21st, 2005, 10:17 AM
u mean Nastya doesnt acre about doules btu for Vera a loss in doubles is as importan as a loss in singles??

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2005, 10:35 AM
u mean Nastya doesnt acre about doules btu for Vera a loss in doubles is as importan as a loss in singles??It's not that Nastya doesn't care. It's just that I think that (a) she handles losing overall (singles or doubles) better than Bepa, and (b) she takes singles more seriously than doubles.

For Bepa, a loss, is a loss, is a loss. It doesn't matter whether it's in singles or double, since I think she sees losing as a personal failure. If she isn't happy with how she is playing, she will get angry/sad, regardless of the circumstances.

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2005, 04:34 PM
Bepa and Bob start their mixed doubles campaign on Saturday. They play 4th on Court 6.

Bob plays doubles 2nd on Court 6, so hopefully he won't be too tired for mixed doubles.

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2005, 04:52 PM
I think that Bepa should get some advice from Marat, as I think that he is a very insightful guy in his own kind of way :D

Here is a question and answer from his press conference (http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2005-01-21/200501211106289607207.html) on Friday
Q. How do you keep yourself from putting too much pressure on yourself to do as well as you did last year? You're sometimes hard on yourself.
MARAT SAFIN: Not anymore. Not anymore. I have nothing to ‑‑ basically, I have to be little bit more selfish. I'm going there, I'm try to give all my best. If it doesn't go my way, then there's nothing I can do about it. You cannot be hard on yourself. It's already enough to play against the opponent that he is trying to beat you. And also if you go under circumstances that they are losing it, so you can't be hard on yourself. Just try to be positive. If it doesn't go your way, so what are you going to do? Can't fight it.:worship:

Bepa, listen to Marat. He has managed to reign himself in a bit, and you can do the same :)

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2005, 04:55 PM
Try to be positive. That's not new advice.
Right now, Vera is not playing good tennis.
She knows it, Lex knows it. Everyone knows it.
Every player has slumps. Vera has to keep working.

Epigone
Jan 21st, 2005, 04:59 PM
Try to be positive. That's not new advice.
It's not new advice, but this advice has clearly not been taken onboard.

Marat has been there and done that. He has a better idea of how Bepa is thinking than most other people. I think that he could help Bepa.

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2005, 05:02 PM
It is very difficult to win matches. They are all professionals.
The gap between #11 and #51 is very small.
Vera needs to play near her best to win.
She has a lot of work to do.

daniela86
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:06 PM
well done bepa and nastya for their win :bigclap: :bigclap: i'm very proud of them, it must have been a very very though match.
I think they have a chance to win da tournament :)
btw, i'm happy to see that bepa takes everything seriously, doubles is very important in a career. I think it helps to improve a lot. The deal is just to try not too be tired after all the single and doubles matches :p
Btw, i agree with you Martin,Marat is really a good exemple to follow, he managed to improve his attitude on court a lot. (i remember when he were angry and tanked some matches, now he always focus and is positive that's why he is one of the best player right now.) If Bepa improves her mental like he did, it would be awesome!!!

Epigone
Jan 22nd, 2005, 05:30 AM
Bepa and Bob won their 1st round mixed doubles match 6-1 (6)6-7 7-6(8)

Bepa almost gave me heart failure, as only she can do :D

They trailed 0-4 and 2-8 in the super tiebreaker, and then won 8 straight points to take it 10-8

Amazing!!! :worship:

Foot's Fingers
Jan 22nd, 2005, 06:26 AM
Ohhh Congrats

It was Soooooooooo heartbreaking super tiebreaker.... Good Fight from Vera/Bob

Epigone
Jan 22nd, 2005, 09:38 AM
Match stats
http://img145.exs.cx/img145/3424/mixed1stround7qw.jpg

They were two points away from losing the match without having faced a BP :eek:

Although they faced zero breakpoints, they had a really tough time holding serve. A lot of their service games went to deuce, and then it was ADV, deuce, ADV, deuce...on and on.

They missed at least two break opportunities in the 2nd set, so they could have wrapped up the match in two sets.

pav
Jan 22nd, 2005, 09:44 AM
Very unusual stats! I had to leave when they lost the 2ndset TB, and was amazed (and happy)to see the end result, She is getting plenty of court time :)
How does the super TB work? i've heard of them but unsure is it 1st to 10 with a 2 point adv.?

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2005, 02:41 PM
Vera in some tight doubles matches. She should have some fun this second week.
There's no real pressure. Then be focused for her next singles match.

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2005, 04:16 PM
It is very difficult to win matches. They are all professionals.
The gap between #11 and #51 is very small.
Vera needs to play near her best to win.
She has a lot of work to do.Vera has done extremely well. She should be very proud of her career.
But Vera's career is still ascending. Her best years are in her future.

Epigone
Jan 22nd, 2005, 04:49 PM
Vera has done extremely well. She should be very proud of her career.
But Vera's career is still ascending. Her best years are in her future.Bepa's ranking will descend after this tournament :o

Epigone
Jan 22nd, 2005, 04:52 PM
How does the super TB work? i've heard of them but unsure is it 1st to 10 with a 2 point adv.?Yep. That's why I was worried at 2-8. One more point against them, and they would have faced 7 matchpoints.

To win 8 straight points under such pressure is quite remarkable. Now, why can't Bepa stay that composed in a singles match? :o

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2005, 04:56 PM
Bepa's ranking will descend after this tournament :oIf Vera doesn't start to play well, her ranking will go down all year.
Vera was fortunate to stay healthy in 2004.
Now she has to play well, or all those points start to disappear.

Epigone
Jan 22nd, 2005, 05:09 PM
The Acapulco commitment list (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=148382) is out, and Bepa isn't on it.

Pennetta is the highest ranked player on the list.

I know that the top players don't like to commit early, but this is a tournament that Bepa can win, so I'd like to see her name in the draw when it comes out.

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2005, 05:11 PM
GE players don't have to commit to lower Tier events.
If Vera wants to play it, they'll give her a WC.

Epigone
Jan 22nd, 2005, 05:22 PM
GE players don't have to commit to lower Tier events.
If Vera wants to play it, they'll give her a WC.That's what I'm saying :)

Bepa has committed to Memphis, which is understandable as she is the defending champion. If she wants to play Acapulco, she'll get a WC.

However, if she doesn't play Acapulco, she may only play one tournament in February, which I don't think is a good idea.

Emptiness
Jan 22nd, 2005, 06:03 PM
Vera should only play Acapulco if they offer her a big appearance fee. :p

Epigone
Jan 22nd, 2005, 06:10 PM
Vera should only play Acapulco if they offer her a big appearance fee. :pArgh, it's goldenlox Mk II :crying2:

She'll get money for winning the title, and she'll also get a nice trophy and some points.

That's all the incentive that Bepa needs to play :angel:

Epigone
Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:21 PM
Bepa and Nastya play their 3rd round doubles match against #10 seeds Li and Sun on Sunday morning.

Udachi!!!

Almalyk
Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:12 AM
6-1 to the Russians in set one. Down a break in the second though

Epigone
Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:26 AM
Bepa and Nastya move into the QF with a 6-1 7-5 win over Li and Sun :worship:

pav
Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:42 AM
They just showed from the Chinese serving at 4-5 to the end ,Bepa looked very calm ,some great groundstrokes and serving :)

Epigone
Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:58 AM
They just showed from the Chinese serving at 4-5 to the end ,Bepa looked very calm ,some great groundstrokes and serving :)You're so lucky! All I've seen is her DF on MP in the match against Vera D.

Something crazy is going on in the GM :scratch:

There is a thread called "Zvonareva might have two GS titles by the end of the week". People are actually discussing Bepa's chances of taking the two doubles titles at this tournament :eek:

I like it! :D

Almalyk
Jan 23rd, 2005, 01:11 AM
You're so lucky! All I've seen is her DF on MP in the match against Vera D.

Something crazy is going on in the GM :scratch:

There is a thread called "Zvonareva might have two GS titles by the end of the week". People are actually discussing Bepa's chances of taking the two doubles titles at this tournament :eek:

I like it! :D

I like it too - especially if Anastasia shares it with her!

The end of their doubles match was good - Vera hitting the ball hard cross court, and Nastya hitting at the bodies of the Chinese! Vera had a big smile after serving the only ace!

March on girls - and good luck.

pav
Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:52 AM
It's not new advice, but this advice has clearly not been taken onboard.

Marat has been there and done that. He has a better idea of how Bepa is thinking than most other people. I think that he could help Bepa.
I hope Bepa is not watching and learning off Marat at the moment ,He is putting on a racquet smashing exhibition in His match against little Rochus! Look the other way Bepa!

Epigone
Jan 23rd, 2005, 09:35 AM
I hope Bepa is not watching and learning off Marat at the moment ,He is putting on a racquet smashing exhibition in His match against little Rochus! Look the other way Bepa!Marat won 4-6 7-6(1) 7-6(5) 7-6(2) and is into the QF :D. Maybe the racquet smashing helped? :shrug:

If he can harness that head of his to fight from a set down and win three tiebreaks, Bepa should be able to do the same. I bet that Marat the Philosopher will have some more insightful comments after this match :cool: , and Bepa should be taking notes :)

BTW, I think it was Bob's fault that they found themselves down 2-8 in the super tiebreak yesterday. Mike and Bob found themselves trailing 1-5 in the super tiebreak of their doubles match today, so I sense a bit of a trend. Bepa needs to tell him to pull his socks up :p

daniela86
Jan 23rd, 2005, 10:25 AM
vera and nastya :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: congrats :aparty: :aparty: :aparty: and good luck in 1/4!! i think it's the first time bepa is in quarter in a grand slam in doubles, right?

Daniel
Jan 23rd, 2005, 10:46 AM
well done, Vera and Nastya :D

Epigone
Jan 23rd, 2005, 11:20 AM
i think it's the first time bepa is in quarter in a grand slam in doubles, right?Correct.

2004 was Bepa's first year of GS doubles. She and Nastya lost here in the 1st round last year, then the 3rd round at the French Open, they withdrew after the 2nd at Wimbledon, and withdrew before the 1st round at the US Open.

They are playing really well, so I hope that Nastya doesn't pull the plug...:p

pav
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:32 AM
I hope with Nastya's disappointing singles loss that She won't exit stage left :scared:

Epigone
Jan 24th, 2005, 06:50 AM
I hope with Nastya's disappointing singles loss that She won't exit stage left :scared:She'd have to be :cuckoo: to withdraw from the QF when the draw is so wide open.

The thing I find strange is that Bepa will cry after (and during :o ) a loss, but then she bounces back and plays great doubles. Nastya, on the other hand, doesn't get visibly emotional over losses, but doesn't appear to like playing doubles after losing in singles :shrug:

Epigone
Jan 24th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Bepa and Nastya play the final match on MCA against Daniilidou and Pratt.

Eleni was serving poorly in her 1st round mixed doubles match, so Nicole had better watch out for balls fired at her head :D

I hope that Nastya's head is in the match, since this is a match that they have no business losing.

Udachi!!!

Epigone
Jan 24th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Bepa is on the entry list for Pattaya City :eek:

It's very odd that she is playing a Tier IV, but just think about this for a second...
– А кумир в теннисе у тебя есть?
– Мартина Хингис. Мне нравится ее игра. Точнее, нравилась, она ведь ушла из спорта и теперь часто комментирует матчи WTA-Тура. Я с ней встречалась несколько раз, мы общались. У меня остались очень приятные впечатления от наших бесед.Could it be that she is there to play doubles with a certain someone? :banana: :angel:

Epigone
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:20 PM
«КОУЧ» ЛЕКС ПРОТИВ НИЦШЕ

Симпатичный темнокожий мужчина, облаченный в тренировочной костюм российской сборной, кричал нашим девушкам на московском Кубке Федерации: «Вперед!». Знакомьтесь - Лекс Керрингтои, новый член нашей команды, личный тренер Веры Звонаревой.

Этот необычный международный дуэт сформировался к августу 2004 года, и с тех пор эти двое плюс личный тренер Веры по ОФП Сергей Хомутов являют собой небольшую, но эффективную команду, которая помогла Вере квалифицироваться на итоговый турнир WTA Tour Championships в Лос-Анджелесе и закончить год на 11-й строчке рейтинга. 31-летний американец Лекс Керрингтон был в прошлом неплохим юниором, входил в сборную США и выступал на юниорских турнирах «Большого шлема». Русский он потихоньку учит уже года три, с тех пор как познакомился с Верой и ее прежним тренером Юлией Кашеваровой.

— Где это произошло? — был первый мой вопрос Лексу.
— Я работал в клубе «Глобал Теннис» в Дэлрей Бич, а это огромный центр с десятками
кортов, где тренируются профессионалы из первой полусотни, в том числе много русских девочек. Когда Вера с Юлей приезжали во Флориду, я им немного помогал.

— Приходилось ли вам работать с элитными спортсменами раньше?
— В начале прошлого года я помогал Винсенту Спейди, он игрок первой двадцатки, другой мой ученик, которого я вел с шести лет, сейчас выступает за юниорскую сборную США. Но затем на горизонте возникла русская теннисистка, и все другие дела отошли на второй план.

— Трудно, наверное, американцу работать с русскими, учитывая разность менталитетов?..
— Не скажите. Для защиты я могу теперь ругаться не только по-английски, но и на русском. «Ё-моё!»... (произнесено очень чисто и забористо ). Но русское слово, которое я использую чаще всего это «Слушай!».

— И как, слушает?
— Она утверждает, что да, но женщины обманывают мужчин на каждом шагу.

— Какие цели вы ставите перед Верой на следующий год?
— У нее потенциал на первую пятерку. Остальное зависит от головы и сердца. И то и другое у нее имеется.

— Иногда Вера излишне эмоциональна на корте.
— Да, иногда чересчур «накаляется», поэтому ей надо учиться направлять свою агрессию в нужное русло. «Контролируемая агрессия» — то, к чему мы стремимся.

— И как часто удается этот контроль?
— Улучшение не всегда означает движение только вперед и по прямой — иногда вперед, иногда назад. В матчах главное — победа, но в тренировках важно, чтобы игрок постоянно работал над теми конкретными задачами, которые мы себе ставим. Я считаю, что у Веры есть все козыри для больших побед, нужна лишь последовательность и сосредоточенность, и тогда она достигнет того, чего хочет. Если у теннисиста есть инструменты, козыри для побед, тогда голова —это решающий фактор при прочих равных, но если у тебя нет козырей, причем серьезных, то об элитном уровне можешь забыть.

— Какие козыри нужны Вере?
— Ее удар слева - это мощное оружие, удар справа тоже подтягивается, улучшается подача...

— Вы не пытаетесь научить Веру крученой подаче?
— Она подала ее пару раз на тренировке, и мой отец (Арт Керрингтон в прошлом — профессиональный теннисист.— Прим. И. Б.) считает, что она может ее применять.

— Трудно быть тренером элитного игрока...
— Главное — «позитивная подпитка», т.е, установка: «ты — супер, бейби!». Вы, русские, имеете общую черту, она на зывается «нетерпимость к несовершенству». И эта черта просто несовместима с теннисом, да и с любым другим спортом на высшем уровне. Конечно, это может довести игрока до определеных хороших результатов, в этом нет сомнения, но когда надо сделать еще один решающий шаг на самый верх, необходимо менять подход и исходить из того, что каждая ошибка, которую ты делаешь, не трагедия, а ступень в достижении цели...

— Учение через ошибки...
— Я имею в виду исполнение ударов. Если ты вкладываешься в удар справа и мажешь, но все равно идешь на мяч и пробиваешь его снова и снова, значит, ты двигаешься в верном направлении. Путь наверх идет через преодоление трудностей, а это нелегко. А теперь представьте, что должен чувствовать профессиональный спортсмен, который уже достиг успеха и заработал много денег, когда ты говоришь ему: «Я хочу, чтобы на тренировке ты делал то, к чему ты не привык и что трудно». Однако Вера взрослый человек, который знает, чего хочет: стать еще лучше.... Когда я работал с животными...

— Какими такими животными?
— Барышня, я же вырос на ферме! Держал бойцовских петухов, собак, козлов... Когда я переехал в Вашингтон, то всех их распродал.

— Козлов, петухов, значит, нет. Вернемся тогда к Вере. На какой срок у вас с ней контракт?
— Нет у нас никакого контракта. Она русская, какой может быть с вами, ребята, контракт?
Это невозможно.

— Похоже, вы человек с большим жизненным опытом...
— Я помогал моему другу, который директорствовал в школе для проблемных детей, она
называлась «Школа нового лидерства». У нас учились 175 городских подростков, многие из
которых уже сидели в исправительных колониях. В теннисе таких не встретишь, но в детстве я занимался боксом и знаю этот контингент достаточно хорошо. Наш средний ученик отставал от обычного на два класса, к нам приходили 13-летние, которые не умели ни складывать, ни читать, их надо было всему этому научить. В школе я работал до часу, а потом тренировал на корте до семи. За один год такой работы я приобрел опыт, который можно приравнять к десяти годам тренерства в теннисном клубе.

— Кто ваши теннисные учителя?
— Мой отец, Арт Керрингтон, еще Ник Боллетьери и Ник Савиано. Отец был хорошим теннисистом и выступал на чемпионатах США в одно время с Артуром Эшем. Но характер имел крутой. Газета Washington Post процитировала однажды Артура Эша, который сказал, что мой отец считался одним из самых талантливых игроков своего времени, но теннис к нему оказался не готов. Он был
чернокожим, которого белые мерзавцы зажимали на каждом шагу. Он вырос в сегрегации.
Когда он и Эш собирались участвовать в национальном чемпионате, им требовалось для
этого специальное разрешение, а когда они его получали, то их не пускали ни на вечеринки теннисистов, ни даже в обычные раздевалки. Моему отцу не нравился этот белый теннисный мир.

— У него был одноручный удар слева?
— Да, и он до сих пор играет. Когда Арт подает, у Веры нет шансов. И кто она вообще такая? Она просто маленькая беленькая девочка, которая смешно говорит по-английски (хохочет ). :lol: . А мы — большие черные парни-спортсмены, которые хотят поближе узнать этих маленьких беленьких девочек.

— Не заставляет ли вас Вера читать Достоевского?
— О, нет! Жизнь с Верой достаточно мрачна, чтобы читать Достоевского, Я предпочитаю Ницше, он мой любимый автор. :rolls:

— У него была интересная теория...
—Ничего подобного, в этом-то все и ошибаются — не было у Ницше никакой такой теории. Если читать его произведения, которые он создавал в течение многих лет, то видно, что Ницше везде себе противоречит. Это был его путь шлифовки собственных мыслей — путем противоречия самому себе.

— Что читаете сейчас?
— У меня есть книга Ноа Холмского «Гегемония выживания» о доминировании США в мировой политике, о том, как в самих Штатах твоим сознанием манипулируют с самого рождения. Главная мысль книги в том, что внешняя политика любого президента США, будь то Буш или Клинтон, порочна.

— Я слышала, что Холмский один из самых читаемых философов современности...
— Он умный человек, однако, несколько предвзят и субъективен. Но я читаю не только Холмского, но и Маркеса, например, «Сто лет одиночества», хотя я и не такой большой поклонник художественной литературы. Сейчас, правда, времени ни на что не хватает, Главное — Вера.

Наталья Быканова
Теннис+, 1/2005

Here is another great interview with Lex :worship:. In it, he discusses all kinds of things, including Bepa's emotional outburts on court.
— Иногда Вера излишне эмоциональна на корте.
— Да, иногда чересчур «накаляется», поэтому ей надо учиться направлять свою агрессию в нужное русло. «Контролируемая агрессия» — то, к чему мы стремимся.He says that they aspire to "controlled aggression :yeah:

I have no chance of being able to translate this so that it makes sense to anyone else, so could someone please translate it for the benefit of everyone here? :angel:

I highlighted the two funniest answers in the interview. I swear, Lex is absolutely hilarious, and these answers confirm it :D

Epigone
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:35 PM
I'm going to start a thread for interviews soon, but I'll post this interview here. It was done after Bepa's loss in Melbourne.

Звонарева остается в Мельбурне (Zvonareva remains in Melbourne)
- Вер, вы уже поняли, почему проиграли матч?
ЗВОНАРЕВА: Сегодня я играла далеко не в свой лучший теннис. Очень много ошибалась, очень плохо подавала. И в принципе, поэтому результат получился именно таким.

- То что играли против россиянки, имело какое-то значение?
ЗВОНАРЕВА: Мне все равно против кого проводить матчи. Если я показываю хорошую игру - это одно. Если плохую - другое. Вот что важно.

- Подготовка к сезону как прошла?
ЗВОНАРЕВА: У нас достаточно поздно в прошлом году проходили финальные матчи Кубка Федерации, так что к сезону особо времени, подготовиться не было. Но что есть, то есть. Я как всегда в этот период тренировалось во Флориде.

- Ближайшие планы?
ЗВОНАРЕВА: Я пока еще останусь в Мельбурне, так как продолжаю играть и в паре, и в миксте. А насчет следующих турниров, то я еще не определилась.

- Какие цели на сезон поставили?
ЗВОНАРЕВА: Теннис - это игра, и тут сложно ставить какие-то определенные задачи. Для меня главное показывать хорошую игру, и получать удовольствие от каждой встречи.

- К скандалу со Светой Кузнецовой как отнеслись?
ЗВОНАРЕВА: Честно говоря, сейчас даже говорить об этом нечего. Просто непонятно повел себя министр спорта Бельгии. Я думаю, что не имеет смысла обсуждать эту тему, так как через пару недель об этом все позабудут. А вот против (я не знаю, самого министра или Федерации Бельгии ) должны быть применены какие то санкции, или наложен штраф. За нарушение, конфиденциальности.
Владас Ташев \радио "Маяк"\

~Rachel~
Jan 24th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Russian looks so complicated!!

Emptiness
Jan 24th, 2005, 11:30 PM
I'd translate it if i could but until then i'll just say, Whaaaat?

pav
Jan 25th, 2005, 12:05 AM
Bepa and Nastya play the final match on MCA against Daniilidou and Pratt.

Eleni was serving poorly in her 1st round mixed doubles match, so Nicole had better watch out for balls fired at her head :D

I hope that Nastya's head is in the match, since this is a match that they have no business losing.

Udachi!!!I am still hoping Nastya's body as well as Her head will be there :) Bepa put the Questioner in Their place over the Kuzzy business!The Lex one is a crack up alright! a Bi lingual swearer Who has to almost read comics after working with Bep

Epigone
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:11 AM
I'd translate it if i could but until then i'll just say, Whaaaat?Emptiness is really Lil' Jon??? :eek:
He's just as annoying as GL with her self-quoting :D

Okay, here is a funny answer:— Не заставляет ли вас Вера читать Достоевского?
— О, нет! Жизнь с Верой достаточно мрачна, чтобы читать ДостоевскогоQ. Does Bepa force you to read Dostoevky?
A. Oh, no! Life with Bepa is gloomy enough as to read Dostoevsky.

:lol:

GL would understand that answer, since she reads the crib notes, but not the actual books :p

Epigone
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:34 AM
Bepa put the Questioner in Their place over the Kuzzy business!She certainly thinks that someone should lay the smackdown on the minister or the Belgian Federation :D

I found this interesting: Ближайшие планы?
ЗВОНАРЕВА: Я пока еще останусь в Мельбурне, так как продолжаю играть и в паре, и в миксте. А насчет следующих турниров, то я еще не определилась.The question is about upcoming plans, and Bepa says that she'll remain in Melbourne for doubles and mixed doubles, but she hasn't made up her mind about the following tournaments.

Now we find that she has taken a late entry into Pattaya. Was this a decision made in the past week, or was it made some time ago, only to be revealed now?

Whatever happened, I can tell you that I'll be very interested to see the doubles draw :D

Emptiness
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Emptiness is really Lil' Jon??? :eek: You know you like it like that,
You don't have to fight back,
Here's a pillow - fight that.

Speaking of lovers and friends... :tape:
http://img181.exs.cx/img181/2628/australianopen051541rr.th.jpg (http://img181.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img181&image=australianopen051541rr.jpg)http://img181.exs.cx/img181/5106/australianopen051556ph.th.jpg (http://img181.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img181&image=australianopen051556ph.jpg)
LoooOOOoove. http://www.imagelink.org/id30723.gif

Epigone
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:02 AM
The superfriends defeated Daniilidou and Pratt 6-4 6-3 to move into the SF :woohoo:

Their opponents will be Kuznetsova and Molik

Udachi!!!

Daniel
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:15 AM
wowww at leat nastya doing well \in doubles, thanks to vEra i guess :D

good luck girls in the semis :D :yeah:

Epigone
Jan 25th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Bepa will play both doubles and mixed doubles on Wednesday.

Her doubles match is 4th on MCA, with the 2nd match on that court not starting before 1pm, and her mixed doubles match is 4th on Show Court 2, with the 3rd match on that court not starting before 3pm. I expect this means that she will play doubles before she plays mixed.

BTW, I watched the Bryan brothers tonight, and they were on fire. Bob was particularly impressive. His volleys were great, and he served really well. In fact, he closed out the match with two aces. I really think that he and Bepa can repeat their US Open success, and I think that Nastya and Bepa are in with a great shot of taking the doubles title.

Bepa still has plenty to play for at this tournament, and that why she didn't decide to leave for home after her 2nd round loss :yeah:

goldenlox
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Vera and Anastasia play Svetlana and Alicia. That should be a great match.
I think the winner will be a big favorite in the final.

goldenlox
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Okay, here is a funny answer:Q. Does Bepa force you to read Dostoevky?
A. Oh, no! Life with Bepa is gloomy enough as to read Dostoevsky.

:lol:

GL would understand that answer, since she reads the crib notes, but not the actual books :pI have trouble getting through the crib notes:lol:
I need a summary of the summary:D

Epigone
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:29 PM
I have trouble getting through the crib notes:lol:
I need a summary of the summary:DI'm reading Crime and Punishment at the moment, and it is heavy going.

I don't recall hearing anything about Bepa liking Dostoevsky. I can't imagine the how :sad: she'd be if she read a lot of his work.

She should keep reading Bulgakov, as his writing isn't as dark and gloomy :)

goldenlox
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:46 PM
I don't know how anyone reads Dostoevsky.
It's impossible to enjoy it.
If you would have done that interview:tape: , you would know what she reads.

Epigone
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:00 PM
I don't know how anyone reads Dostoevsky.
It's impossible to enjoy it.
If you would have done that interview:tape: , you would know what she reads.She likes Bulgakov and Gogol.

And that problem with the interview was not my fault! I talked to Lex, and we were on the same page. Had she not lost to Zuluaga, it would have happened :bigcry:. Still, that's not the end of the story...

goldenlox
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Vera can still win titles. I think Sveta and Alicia will be tough.
That's a match I'd like to see.

Epigone
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Bepa and Nastya took out the Olympic gold medallists in the 3rd round, and in the QF, they held three games in the 1st set and at least one other game in the 2nd set - love. That is quite a change from some of their earlier matches, where they were stretched to deuce and had to fight off BP chances.

The key is to have strong service games, and then convert BP chances. I think that Bepa and Nastya can do that, and I think that they have a great shot at the title.

goldenlox
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Sveta and Alicia have been winning easily.
And Sveta has never won a doubles major. She lost 4 finals.
So this is important to her.

Epigone
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Sveta and Alicia have been winning easily.They were down a break in either the 2nd or 3rd set (I forget) against Sequera and Tu. That match could have very easily gone the other way.

And Sveta has never won a doubles major. She lost 4 finals.
So this is important to her.I think you'd find that this match is also important to Bepa and Nastya after their poor performances in singles.

goldenlox
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:54 PM
It can't be as important as the Fed Cup match, or the KC final.
This should be a good match. I wish it was the final.

Epigone
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:06 PM
It can't be as important as the Fed Cup match, or the KC final.In terms of personal significance, I think you're right. Matches played at their home tournament and for their country are the important matches for Bepa and Nastya.

However, both tennis fans and casual viewers place a greater emphasis on Slams, so a doubles title here would be a noteworthy achievement.

A victory in the final would also give them a lot of points, which should give them a better seeding for when they defend their KC title.

goldenlox
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:19 PM
A victory in the final would also give them a lot of points, which should give them a better seeding for when they defend their KC title.:lol:
Is that your reason:rolleyes:

They are competitors. That's why it's important to them. Not KC seeding:rolleyes:

Emptiness
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:55 PM
However, both tennis fans and casual viewers place no significance on double titles. :p

Vera and Anastasia will really have to be on their game to beat Sveta and Alicia.

goldenlox
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Vera lost to Vera D.
Yet she can still leave Melbourne with 2 titles, and over $200,000.
She is in round 2 of mixed.

Epigone
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:34 PM
They are competitors. That's why it's important to them. Not KC seeding:rolleyes:This thread was so much more intelligent yesterday when goldenlox wasn't posting in it.

Of course they want to win because they are fierce competitors, but I'm sure that they'd appreciate anything that would put them in a better position to defend their KC title.

Epigone
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Russian star Zvonareva to play in Pattaya next week
TOR CHITTINAND
Russian star Vera Zvonareva who is ranked No 11 in the world has signed up to play the US$170,000 Volvo Women's Open in Pattaya next week.

For the 1.72 m right-handed Russian star, 2004 was the year she broke through into the top ten, winning two titles at Memphis and Bol and finishing runner-up at Cincinatti and Philadelphia.

During the year she recorded victories over Maria Sharapova (twice) and Jennifer Capriati and Nadia Petrova.

Zvonareva has also performed well in doubles, partnering Myskina to victory in Moscow and taking the runner-up slot in Memphis with Sharapova. She reached a career-high ranking of 15 last year.

Zvonareva will be seeded No 1 in the tournament and faces the prospect of meeting former World No 1 Martina Hingis during the tournament, which takes place at the Dusit Resort, Pattaya from 29 January - 6 February.

Chairman of the organising committee , Chaiyapak Siriwat, said the presence of Zvonareva would increase the quality of the tournament and add to the excitement on court.

``With so many great players taking part, such as Hingis, Martinez, Dokic, Pascual and our own Tamarine Tanasugarn, it promises to be a wonderful feast of tennis next week.''
link (http://www.bangkokpost.com/Sports/25Jan2005_sport44.php)

pav
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:25 PM
Bepa will play both doubles and mixed doubles on Wednesday.

Her doubles match is 4th on MCA, with the 2nd match on that court not starting before 1pm, and her mixed doubles match is 4th on Show Court 2, with the 3rd match on that court not starting before 3pm. I expect this means that she will play doubles before she plays mixed.

BTW, I watched the Bryan brothers tonight, and they were on fire. Bob was particularly impressive. His volleys were great, and he served really well. In fact, he closed out the match with two aces. I really think that he and Bepa can repeat their US Open success, and I think that Nastya and Bepa are in with a great shot of taking the doubles title.

Bepa still has plenty to play for at this tournament, and that why she didn't decide to leave for home after her 2nd round loss :yeah: I hope the two matches aren't too close together,don't want Bepa to overheat :)

Epigone
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:20 AM
It's over :bigcry:

Sveta and Alicia defeated Bepa and Nastya 6-2 6-3

Bepa and Nastya had a lot of trouble winning points on serve, and brought up zero BP chances :o

Bepa will have a rest, and then go out on court again in mixed doubles, so all is not lost :)

Udachi!!!

pav
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:25 AM
That was a quick doubles lesson by the look of it :( I was hoping Alicia would be weary! Oh well I hope it has warmed Her up for the mixed the relative serve speeds told a bit of a story!

Jamesss
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:44 AM
There's not much you can do with a true blue woopin'. Sveta and Alicia played exceedingly well.

Bad luck Vera and Nastya. :sad:

pav
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:48 AM
I was looking at some head to heads on the WTA site, and I see They have changed the Bepa Bio Pic for a better one, (it's probably been there for weeks and I haven't noticed )

pav
Jan 26th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Great start for Bob and Bepa first set in the bag!

Epigone
Jan 26th, 2005, 08:24 AM
I was looking at some head to heads on the WTA site, and I see They have changed the Bepa Bio Pic for a better one, (it's probably been there for weeks and I haven't noticed )I checked it, and it's still the pic of her with the shiny face :o :confused:

katiektc
Jan 26th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Her face doesnt look really shiny in the pic im seeing, although she has a nice tree behind her.

Epigone
Jan 26th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Bepa and Bob won 6-3 6-2 :yippee:

It's amazing how quickly Bepa can put bad losses behind her :scratch:

Epigone
Jan 26th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Her face doesnt look really shiny in the pic im seeing, although she has a nice tree behind her.Why am I the only one still seeing the pic from the 2003 US Open, complete with blue background and shiny face?

pav
Jan 26th, 2005, 08:46 AM
That seemed to go smooth ,She certainly recovered from Her Svetamoliking

pav
Jan 26th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Why am I the only one still seeing the pic from the 2003 US Open, complete with blue background and shiny face?

You may have been Goldenblocked from viewing the new,improved Bepa image everyone but You can see it!

Frank
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:21 AM
I checked it, and it's still the pic of her with the shiny face :o :confused:You could try to clear your cache...

Daniel
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:50 AM
It's over :bigcry:

Sveta and Alicia defeated Bepa and Nastya 6-2 6-3

Bepa and Nastya had a lot of trouble winning points on serve, and brought up zero BP chances :o

Bepa will have a rest, and then go out on court again in mixed doubles, so all is not lost :)

Udachi!!!
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Epigone
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:52 AM
You could try to clear your cache...I've done that, but still no joy.

Could someone please describe the pic? :angel:

Frank
Jan 26th, 2005, 10:35 AM
http://www.wtatour.com/global/photos/150x200/260142.jpg

katiektc
Jan 26th, 2005, 10:39 AM
See! Epi, note the nice tree?

Frank
Jan 26th, 2005, 10:40 AM
See! Epi, note the nice tree?He probably sees that picture as the old one as well. :p

daniela86
Jan 26th, 2005, 10:55 AM
well done bepa for mixed doubles!! :kiss: :hug: :hug: :) but it's a pity for doubles :sad: :sad: i thought they would win especially because molik played a long long match against davy :sad: nevertheless, SF is a pretty good result for a team who lost in first round last year (i'm sooo glad they improved so muuch since last year :) ) i think nastya and bepa are a great team and they'll have a chance to qualify for the masters at the end of year!! :yippee: :yippee: and of cuz win da kremlin cup!! :hearts:
btw, about pattaya, it's a great idea for bepa, add a tournament just after a disappointing performance in single is the best she could do for her confidence. But she must be careful coz there are rising talents there like marta domachowska :). And martina hingis also plays there. i hope they'll play a match,it should be interesting :) :D :p
udachiii bepa, plz plz win da mixed double and then the golden slam with bobby!! :)

Epigone
Jan 26th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Weird...

I couldn't see it on my computer at university, or on a computer in the room next to mine, but now I can see it at home :scratch:

Frank, thanks for posting the pic for me :)

It's better than the old one, but I like this old profile pic more
http://img177.exs.cx/img177/7237/veramug5298ng.jpg

Epigone
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Bepa and Bob play Kevin Ullyett and Liezel Huber in a QF match on MCA tomorrow afternoon. Their match is the fifth on that court, and the fourth match (a doubles match in which Bob will play) won't start before 3pm. Hopefully Bob won't be too tired from doubles to put in another great perfomance.

Ullyett and Huber had a three set match in the 1st round, and a walkover in the second. They might be fresh, but they might also be rusty. Regardless, I feel that Bepa and Bob are in good form, so I think they will move into the SF :)

goldenlox
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:43 PM
The way Vera has started this year, Pattaya is probably a good decision.
Get some wins, and rebuild your confidence.
There are 4 months until the next major.
That's plenty of time to get back to your summer of 2004 form.

Epigone
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Bepa needs to find her serve before Memphis, otherwise she could be in big trouble. That's why I'm happy that she has been able to play all of these doubles matches. Although serving is slightly different when playing doubles, it's encouraging to see the low number of double faults that she an Nastya hit.

I'm hoping that Bepa also plays doubles in Pattaya, as I think she could be part of an interesting team :D

goldenlox
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Seving in doubles is totally different. Vera needs confidence.
Losing to Vera D. at a major should not happen to a YEC player.

katiektc
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:59 PM
im not sure why bepa being a YEC is so important, saying as she got into it by default and lost all her matches there.
id be happier if she just kept working hard and got some good wta tour results, which she can start in pattaya :bounce:

and maybe even play martina :drool:

goldenlox
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:07 PM
It's important because it's only for the elite players in the sport.
They pay you $100,000 just for showing up.
That's more than winning a Tier II title. Or making the round of 16 at a major.

Epigone
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Seving in doubles is totally different.However, you still need to get the ball over the net, so it will still help her in singles.

Vera needs confidence.I think that she usually has trouble believing that she can win matches.

Losing to Vera D. at a major should not happen to a YEC player.Nastya lost to Anna Chakvetadze at the US Open...

Vera D has been severely underperforming, so I don't think that it was a complete upset. Winning Junior Wimbledon and the 2002 Orange Bowl shows that she has talent.

True, Bepa made a total mess of things, but another opponent may have let her off the hook.

goldenlox
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Anastasia was coming off a tough loss in Athens. She wasn't focused at all in NYC.
Vera has no excuses. Just a slump. And she needs to win singles matches.
More importantly, she needs to play much better tennis.
Or she will be out of the top 15 soon.

Epigone
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Anastasia was coming off a tough loss in Athens. She wasn't focused at all in NYC.Excuses, excuses. Bepa had a monumental meltdown in NYC, shrugged it off, and then took home the mixed doubles title.

Vera has no excuses. Just a slump. And she needs to win singles matches.Of course she has no excuses, but she has suffered far less upsets than many of the other Russians. Yes, this was an upset, but given the quality of Vera D. compared with some of the other lower-ranked players to defeat Russians in 2004, it wasn't a complete shock.

More importantly, she needs to play much better tennis.
Or she will be out of the top 15 soon.She's played two bad tournaments, and her problems can be traced back to her serve. Once she feels comfortable with it again, she'll play much better tennis.

goldenlox
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:34 PM
I haven't seen Vera play this year. She's losing too early in the draw.
But she played well against Maria in L.A.
Her results this year are awful. And she never gets a lot of wins against the top 10.
She has to grind her way past Zuluaga and Vera D., or she's going to have a terrible year.

Epigone
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:43 PM
But she played well against Maria in L.A.She should have taken the 2nd set, but screwed up :crying2:

Her results this year are awful. And she never gets a lot of wins against the top 10.She could have defeated Venus in Hong Kong, but her serve let her down. She could have defeated Zuluagain Sydney, but her serve let her down, and she made too many UEs. She could have defeated Vera D., but she hit 11 double faults. See the pattern?

She has to grind her way past Zuluaga and Vera D., or she's going to have a terrible year.She's not going to have a terrible year unless she can't find her serve in the next 20 tournaments this year.

Besides, she has had a GS SF appearance in doubles, and will play in the QF of mixed tomorrow, so that shows that she isn't a complete mess at the moment.

goldenlox
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:49 PM
I like the doubles results. I want all of these ladies to play doubles at the majors and Tier I's.
By terrible year, I mean outside the top 15. That's actually a great year for 95% of the tour.

Epigone
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Here might be another reason for early season problems:
Подготовка к сезону как прошла?
ЗВОНАРЕВА: У нас достаточно поздно в прошлом году проходили финальные матчи Кубка Федерации, так что к сезону особо времени, подготовиться не было. Но что есть, то есть. Я как всегда в этот период тренировалось во Флориде.Bepa said that she didn't have enough time to prepare for the season, but that's just how it is. She also said that, as always, she trained in Florida.

Like I said some time ago, I think that she may continue to feel the effects of that heavy push towards the YEC. I guess that time will tell.

goldenlox
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:14 PM
There are no excuses in this sport. Just results.
Vera has played very few matches since the YEC.
And that was almost 3 months ago.

Epigone
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:28 PM
There are no excuses in this sport. Just results.Then why did you say that Nastya's loss in Athens was the reason for her loss at the US Open??? Oh, that's just you being you.

Vera has played very few matches since the YEC.
And that was almost 3 months agoShe played 25 regular tournaments, the YEC, and three Fed Cup ties. That is an enormous workload, and she had about a month off between the end of Fed Cup competition, and the exhibition in Hong Kong. During that time, she also had to attend functions celebrating the Fed Cup win, so she had very little time to rest, both physically and mentally. What's more, she didn't have a lot of time to work on skills for the 2005 season, so she is probably not as well prepared as she would like.

If she takes the start of the year slowly, she can recharge, and then come back firing :)

goldenlox
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Then why did you say that Nastya's loss in Athens was the reason for her loss at the US Open???
:)That was a very unusual situation. Losing a 5-1 third set lead in the Olympic semis.

Vera knew the year starts in Sydney.
She is starting the year slowly. That happens. It's difficult to win in this sport.

But it will be hard for Vera to pass players. She has to defend a lot of points.
As compared to Nadia, who has nothing to defend.

Epigone
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Vera knew the year starts in Sydney.And? You were the one who wanted her to go for broke to make the YEC. Now she is paying the price for it.

She is starting the year slowly. That happens. It's difficult to win in this sport.Of course it's difficult to win, but being rundown and underprepared makes it even more difficult

But it will be hard for Vera to pass players. She has to defend a lot of points.
As compared to Nadia, who has nothing to defend.Yeah, she has points to defend, but there are also plenty of places that she can pick up points. She has few points to defend in IW, Miami, Charleston (to some extent) and Berlin.

If she can win Pattaya and Memphis, she'll be back in business.

goldenlox
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:48 PM
And? You were the one who wanted her to go for broke to make the YEC. Now she is paying the price for it.That's right. The YEC pays $100,000 for showing up.
That's more than the round of 16 in the AO.
But playing the YEC in November doesn't mean weak results in January. Maria played there also. And Serena.

I don't care about these results. Every player has slumps.
Vera did okay financially, with her doubles results.
And she has the whole year to get her singles game together.

katiektc
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:08 PM
That's right. The YEC pays $100,000 for showing up.
That's more than the round of 16 in the AO.
But playing the YEC in November doesn't mean weak results in January. Maria played there also. And Serena.

I don't care about these results. Every player has slumps.
Vera did okay financially, with her doubles results.
And she has the whole year to get her singles game together.

Yeah and tennis is all about the money not the results:rolleyes:
Vera wasnt in the top 8 players in the world, and it showed. She was out of her league at YEC.
Forget about these losses, every player has slumps they can get out of.
Hopefully she can regroup and come back strong for her next tourny, and maybe play martina :drool:
I'm just thinking that maybe that sack of self confidence I hoped Santa would bring Bepa for christmas got lost in the post.

goldenlox
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Yeah and tennis is all about the money not the results.You can't make money without results.

katiektc
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:23 PM
GL u are obsessed with money.
Sure its a nice bonus to get a couple of thousand pounds for a weeks work,but i think every single player would rather have the prestige and honour of being a grand slam champion.
To do that, u have to be consistently good for 2 weeks, something which has eluded Bepa so far.
She hasnt entered tennis to become rich.

goldenlox
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Becoming rich is something that happens, if you have good results.
Of course Vera wants to win a major. So does everyone else.

Right now, any match win would be nice.

katiektc
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Well then its good she is winning her mixed matches :)

goldenlox
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Right. Plus a doubles semi. So it's not a terrible AO.
But Vera can play much better singles than she has so far.

Epigone
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Vera wasnt in the top 8 players in the world, and it showed. She was out of her league at YEC.Had the YEC been held in July or August, it would have been a different story.

By the end of the year, Bepa was an absolute mess. She was in a slump, and she had played too many tournaments in an effort to make the YEC. By the time she got there, it was already game over.

Just look at how much Sveta was able to rest after Beijing. Given that it was an indoor match, Bepa should probably have been favoured, but she was exhausted. Sveta even commented on Bepa's tiredness after the match.

If you look at the YEC draw, Bepa had either defeated or had close 3 setters with all of players except for Amelie in 2004. There is no way that she was out of her league, but she surely couldn't do herself or her game justice given her very heavy workload after the US Open.

katiektc
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:36 PM
The YEC is supposed to be an indicator of how well 8 players have consistently played all year round.
Bepa by nature is not consistent.
She was out of her league in that, yea ok, maybe she beat these players once or twice, but to beat top 10 players consistently again and again is what brings u in the same league.
I would be surprised if Vera made the Yec this year, although i know its a little early :o

My, Epi, arent we up early this morning?

Epigone
Jan 26th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Bepa by nature is not consistent.So true :sad:

She was out of her league in that, yea ok, maybe she beat these players once or twice, but to beat top 10 players consistently again and again is what brings u in the same league.Venus just missed out on the YEC, and how many top 10 players did she beat last year? Yes, she won some larger tournaments, but she didn't have many victories over top opponents. I know that she didn't play many tournaments, but even so...

I would be surprised if Vera made the Yec this year, although i know its a little early :oSo would I. After her performance at the French Open, I thought it was all over in 2004. Then she played that crazy schedule and just scapped in.

My, Epi, arent we up early this morning?I've gotta have a poster for a physics conference ready this morning, so I probably shouldn't have stayed up until 3:45am reading Russian websites and posting on WTAWorld, only to wake up at 8:15am and start posting again :D

Epigone
Jan 27th, 2005, 07:18 AM
:bigcry: :sobbing: :hysteric: :crying2:

Bepa and Bob lost 7-6(5) 3-6 (8)6-7

They blew 2 BP chances at 3-5* in the second set, and had 8-8 with two serves to come in the super tiebreaker

I can't believe it. I was so sure that they would take the title :bigcry:

I think I'm actually more disappointed than I was when she lost her singles match :sad:

pav
Jan 27th, 2005, 07:20 AM
No title for Bep and Bob, :sad:

Epigone
Jan 27th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Here (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=4814652&postcount=355) is how the super TB evolved. They looked to be in control, and the BLAMMO!!! :bigcry:

I thought after their win from 2-8 that this would be easy.

BTW, it was Bepa who was broken twice in the 2nd set, and I'm pretty sure she served the final two points :o

pav
Jan 27th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Here (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=4814652&postcount=355) is how the super TB evolved. They looked to be in control, and the BLAMMO!!! :bigcry:

I thought after their win from 2-8 that this would be easy.

BTW, it was Bepa who was broken twice in the 2nd set, and I'm pretty sure she served the final two points :oSad alright ,I think We expected Them to make it to the final at least You could imagine Who was serving by the way the points were going in the main games, can't go to GM, They playing "The land of the Free, and the Home of the Brave " too loud! have to go and sulk and do something useful at the same time!

Epigone
Jan 27th, 2005, 09:00 AM
You could imagine Who was serving by the way the points were going in the main gamesI was just keep an eye on the serve speed ;)

I'm more comfortable following mixed doubles matches because I can tell when Bepa is serving. When Bepa is playing regular doubles, I'm always wondering how many points she is winning on serve. That's why I wish the online scoreboard would indicate which player is serving.

Daniel
Jan 27th, 2005, 10:06 AM

They blew 2 BP chances at 3-5* in the second set, and had 8-8 with two serves to come in the super tiebreaker

I think I'm actually more disappointed than I was when she lost her singles match :sad:
:sad: Vera :smooch:

Epigone
Jan 27th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Lex should sit down with Bepa and a copy of Marat's match against Roger. Marat is :banghead:, just like her, but he really kept himself under control, despite blowing a number of MP opportunities.

Had Bepa been in the same situation, she would have :crying2: because of her errors. I still think that Bepa should go and ask him for advice, since he has appeared to have really changed the way he handles himself on court. Sure, he busted a racquet and was talking to himself quite a lot, but that did nothing to hamper his game. In fact, it probably helped.

Bepa needs to learn how to use her emotions to her advantage.

goldenlox
Jan 27th, 2005, 02:21 PM
I'm not sad about a mixed doubles loss. It wasn't a final or semi.
Vera needs to get out of that heat.
And stay positive.

Epigone
Jan 27th, 2005, 02:31 PM
I'm not sad about a mixed doubles loss. It wasn't a final or semi.That's like saying you're not sad about her loss in singles because it wasn't a final or semi.

I want Bepa to win every time she steps onto the court, no matter if it's singles, doubles, or mixed, no matter the round, the tournament, or her opponent. She and Bob were two points away from making the SF, and they had two serves with which to win those two points. That, together with the blown BP chances in the 2nd set make me feel that this was a missed opportunity.

And stay positive.A mixed doubles match doesn't last for a long time. Besides, she trains in Florida, so a little hot weather shouldn't hurt her.

goldenlox
Jan 27th, 2005, 02:38 PM
That's like saying you're not sad about her loss in singles because it wasn't a final or semi.No, it isn't the same.
Singles is about Vera.
Mixed doubles is about how well the man serves and poaches.

Vera still has a lot of work to do.
I'm glad she's going to a lower Tier event.
She has won only 1 singles match in several months.

Epigone
Jan 27th, 2005, 02:49 PM
No, it isn't the same.
Singles is about Vera.
Mixed doubles is about how well the man serves and poaches.Bepa is on court and competing, so it is the same.

Mixed doubles isn't just about the men. I watched mixed doubles at the Hopman Cup, and the women were hitting plenty of winners. Bepa was acing Todd Woodbridge in the final of the US Open, so don't pretend that she is irrelevant to the success of the team.

Vera still has a lot of work to do.
I'm glad she's going to a lower Tier event.
She has won only 1 singles match in several months.Yes, she's struggling, but I don't think that this will be a big slump. SHe just needs to get back into the swing of things.

goldenlox
Jan 27th, 2005, 02:52 PM
I've seen Anastasia and Marat lose every match in mixed in Perth.
If the guy doesn't poach well, your finished.

Epigone
Jan 27th, 2005, 03:03 PM
I've seen Anastasia and Marat lose every match in mixed in Perth.
If the guy doesn't poach well, your finished.Did you watch Argentina vs Russia? If so, you would have seen that Dulko had a huge impact in her mixed doubles matches.

The bottom line is that once Bepa steps inside the white lines, it's game on. I don't care if it's singles, doubles, or mixed because she treats all forms of tennis very seriously. If she cares, the least that I can do as a fan is to care as well.

goldenlox
Jan 27th, 2005, 03:12 PM
I'm not sad about a mixed doubles loss.
And stay positive.I'm not sad about any loss, other than a close final in a major.
Each match is a building block in a career.
You learn from your losses, enjoy your wins, and keep trying to improve.

Epigone
Jan 27th, 2005, 03:24 PM
I'm not sad about any loss, other than a close final in a major.That's because you're not a fan of any of the players. Well, I know that you're not a fan of Bepa or Nadia. If you were a fan, you'd feel something.

You learn from your losses, enjoy your wins, and keep trying to improve.Bepa doesn't always learn from her losses, as evidenced by her propensity to have meltdowns in tournament after tournament.

goldenlox
Jan 27th, 2005, 03:35 PM
That's because you're not a fan of any of the players.You're just a nut:cuckoo: . Pretending to cry over an early round mixed doubles result.
I play tennis. The world doesn't end if I play poorly.
And for pros, they have to put losses behind them, and focus on improving.
And playing well in their next match.

Epigone
Jan 27th, 2005, 03:49 PM
You're just a nut:cuckoo: . Says the person who quotes herself to try to make a point, yet continually fails.

Pretending to cry over an early round mixed doubles result.It was a QF match, and I was very disappointed with the result. The SF may have been shown on TV.

I play tennis. The world doesn't end if I play poorly.That's lucky, otherwise the world would end everytime you take court.

And for pros, they have to put losses behind them, and focus on improving.
And playing well in their next match.Bepa does put losses behind her, but she repeats the same mistakes over and over again.

goldenlox
Jan 27th, 2005, 03:54 PM
That's right, Vera has to forget her losses, except for learning what mistakes to avoid.
And yes. you're a nut:rolleyes:

Epigone
Jan 27th, 2005, 03:59 PM
That's right, Vera has to forget her losses, except for learning what mistakes to avoid.Lex said that he is working on the psychological aspects of tennis with Bepa, so there will hopefully be some improvement soon.

And yes. you're a nut:rolleyes:You post in this thread, despite not liking Bepa, and I'm the nut? How do you figure that?

goldenlox
Jan 27th, 2005, 04:06 PM

I think I'm actually more disappointed than I was when she lost her singles match :sad:This is a nut:rolleyes:

Epigone
Jan 27th, 2005, 04:18 PM
This is a nut:rolleyes:Since you're not a fan of Bepa and think that I'm a nut, stay away from this thread :wavey:

Bepa is a competitor, so a loss, even if it's in mixed double, will sting. She could have left Melbourne after losing in singles, but she wanted to stay and play, and not just because she owed it to her partners.

Since she is playing to win, I should not be :D when she loses.

goldenlox
Jan 27th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Go back to Hantuchova:cuckoo:

goldenlox
Jan 27th, 2005, 05:14 PM
http://www.wtatour.com/global/photos_rx/zvonareva_memphis_trophy_3243_rx.jpg

Zvonareva, the top seed in her second appearance in Memphis, won her second career singles title with the 46 64 75 victory, saving three match points en route to the win.

"When I was down 5-2, I just didn’t give up and kept playing my game and going for my shots," Zvonareva stated. "I just kept thinking that it was my last chance, that if I missed the ball, then that was the match. I kept fighting for every shot. This is definitely a great win for me because I came back from being down."

The victory was Zvonareva's second title and first since last year's first title in Bol. She also broke Raymond's 11 match-win streak in Memphis and intercepted Raymond's quest for a "hat trick" in Memphis, winning three titles in a row.

"We both fought hard and left it all out there," said Raymond. "There wasn't a game in which we didn't put 150% into it. I give full credit to her. She played well when she had to and moved unbelievably well."Vera will be back to her best form:)

Emptiness
Jan 27th, 2005, 06:35 PM
You guys should just get along. This thread should be uplifting with the occasional sprinkly of tears from Vera. Without Glox this thread would be all Epi. Without Epi it would be all Glox. You're both nice but that would be too much. http://www.imagelink.org/id30820.gif

goldenlox
Jan 27th, 2005, 06:39 PM
I'm not sad about a mixed doubles loss. It wasn't a final or semi.
And stay positive.I started off today with this post.
Epi:smash: wanted to argue:cuckoo:

pav
Jan 27th, 2005, 06:56 PM
I watched the last half of the superTB shown after the Marat match and Bepa was sure taking it seriously, they were zooming in on Her face each time She made a cock-up and searching for tears, and finding a few! they do have the ability to leak out super fast, but She managed a smile at the death. I nearly had to reach for a tissue Myself!

Epigone
Jan 27th, 2005, 11:32 PM
I started off today with this post.
Epi:smash: wanted to argue:cuckoo:Yes, since you are not a Bepa fan and post rubbish in her cheering thread. BTW, could you please leave a space between your text and smilies? Thanks :)

I watched the last half of the superTB shown after the Marat match and Bepa was sure taking it seriously, they were zooming in on Her face each time She made a cock-up and searching for tears, and finding a few! they do have the ability to leak out super fast, but She managed a smile at the death. I nearly had to reach for a tissue Myself!GL, if Bepa is treating the match seriously, why shouldn't I also treat it seriously?

I think you don't like mixed doubles because the players aren't making mad chedda by playing it. Well, tough! Bepa and Bob will take the French Open title, but that seems so far away at the moment.

Epigone
Jan 27th, 2005, 11:47 PM
You guys should just get along. This thread should be uplifting with the occasional sprinkly of tears from Vera. Without Glox this thread would be all Epi. Without Epi it would be all Glox. You're both nice but that would be too much. http://www.imagelink.org/id30820.gifWithout me, GL would just be responding to her own quoted posted. Heck, she even quotes herself while I'm posting in the thread!

When GL didn't post here two days ago (she thankfully skipped this thread for some reason), I posted info on Bepa playing in Pattaya, and I posted a massive interview with Lex and a post-match interview with Bepa from the AO.

That GL can't understand that I'm disappointed at Bepa's loss is simply :rolleyes:
If the $$$ aren't attached, she doesn't care.

goldenlox
Jan 28th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Without me, GL would just be responding to her own quoted posted.Without you, this thread is about Vera.
Just like it always was.
With you, this thread is about you.
And no one cares about you:wavey: :tape:

goldenlox
Jan 28th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Vera has one singles win since beating Nadia in Philly.
That was against Nan-Nan Liu, who is barely inside the top 200.
Then Vera lost 3&3 to Vera D.

These are Vera's worst singles results in years.
And if she loses early in Pattaya, she will be continuing her current form.

I'm not sure how players reverse this kind of slump.
All I can reccommend is hard work. And stay focused in your matches.
Treat every point like it's important.
If your game is off, play a little safer, and don't give points away.
But compete for every point.
And stay positive. You will pull out of this slump.

Epigone
Jan 28th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Without you, this thread is about Vera.
Just like it always was.
With you, this thread is about you.
And no one cares about you:wavey: :tape:Go and read your Fortune magazine because you are a non-fan :wavey:

I think she will play doubles in Pattaya, and maybe Martina needs a partner... :D

If not, I guess she'd try to play with Zhenya, as K-Lina was the only non-Russian she played with last year.

goldenlox
Jan 28th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Speaking of money, there is none in Tier IV doubles.
Vera should just work on her singles game.
I think she should watch a tape of her loss to Vera D.

I believe in studying film. I was just watching Vera-Maria in Montreal.
Vera can learn from watching herself playing below her best.

katiektc
Jan 28th, 2005, 02:58 PM
C'mon kids, why cant we all get along :angel:
Epi is a Bepa fan, GL is a fan of...erm........quoting herself?
anyway, back to VERA............!!

Epigone
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Speaking of money, there is none in Tier IV doubles.
Vera should just work on her singles game.
I think she should watch a tape of her loss to Vera D.If she wanted to make money, she would go to Tokyo.

Bepa needs to regain her form, and the best way to do that is to spend time on court. That means that playing doubles would be a good idea.

In a Tier IV doubles match, unlike in practice, she can't afford to have lapses in concentration. It will be good mental training.

goldenlox
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Epi is a Hantuchova fan. There are several of them lingering in Russian Roulette.

goldenlox
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:13 PM
There is no point in playing doubles at a Tier IV.
It doesn't help Vera's singles game.
Unless she is there to play with Martina, I would skip waiting around for a doubles match, and do film study.

katiektc
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Epi is a Hantuchova fan. There are several of them lingering in Russian Roulette.

and what fan are u?
a middle-of-the-fence-supports-every-single-player-on-wta-tour fan?

thats alot worse than being a hantuchova fan-turned bepa fan :o

goldenlox
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:17 PM
People tell me I'm a Kournikova fan.
I want all Russian round of 16's. At every tournament:angel:
Then I'm happy:wavey:

katiektc
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:22 PM
a kournikova fan? :lol: good luck with that one, may she get many titles for u to rejoice.

goldenlox
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:25 PM
I rejoice for doubles titles too. I don't believe you have to win this or that.
Each player should try hard, have fun, and get paid.
I want each player to be able to look back in 30 years and say -
" I really enjoyed my tennis career. I wish I could do it all again."
That, to me, is a successful career.

katiektc
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:28 PM
GL, a few posts ago u were saying Bepa shouldnt be playing doubles next week.
i do wish u'd make your mind up, it must be so confusing for u.
Kournikova may have enjoyed playing tennis but i dont think she would ever want to go back to it all, not now she has millions $$$ and the Mole.

goldenlox
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:30 PM
I don't see any point in a successful player being in Tier IV doubles.
There's no reason for it.
As far as Anna is concerned, I hope Hingis' return gives Anna some ideas.

katiektc
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Maybe she wants to play Tier IV doubles because she is not being a very successful player at the minute.
Contrary to your beliefs, tennis isnt all about money, if it was she would be in Tokyo.
Bepa needs to regain her form, and practice is all that will help her do that, so doubles is good practice.
It's also a chance to have fun on court,and we know Bepa loves doubles.

goldenlox
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Tennis, for the players, is not about money at all.
But it is a job, so I want them to get paid.
Vera needs to regain her form. So I'm glad she is playing here.
But if Vera was playing well, she belongs in Tokyo.
With so many withdrawals, an in-form Vera could go far there.

Epigone
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:38 PM
There is no point in playing doubles at a Tier IV.
It doesn't help Vera's singles game.She is still under pressure to perform, so it will help to train her coping mechanism.

goldenlox
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Doubles means a lot of waiting around. It is rarely the first match.
If Vera wants to play doubles, fine.
But if I were Vera, I would practice, and watch my own tapes, instead of play doubles.

Epigone
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Doubles means a lot of waiting around. It is rarely the first match.
If Vera wants to play doubles, fine.
But if I were Vera, I would practice, and watch my own tapes, instead of play doubles.If she can manage singles and doubles at other tournaments, she can manage singles and doubles in Pattaya.

It will give her a chance to work on her volleys :)

goldenlox
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Vera's doubles result are strong. Tier I KC, Fed Cup final. US Open mixed champion.
Vera's singles game is the current issue.
I'm sure she will play well again. But it might take some time.

Epigone
Jan 28th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Here is the transcript of a radio interview that Bepa gave during the AO.

Часть этого интервью прозвучала на Маяке (103,4 ФМ ) вчера... а вторая часть сегодня с 20 30 до 21 00.

Вера Звонарева: «Русские посиделки» устраиваем редко.
На этом турнире Вера Звонарева успешнее сыграла в паре и в миксте, нежели в одиночных соревнованиях. Вместе с Анастасией Мыскиной она дошла до полуфинала в паре, а в миксте с американцем Бобом Брайаном достигла стадии четвертьфинала. Именно с вопросов о миксте и начал общение ваш корреспондент, дозвонившись до Звонаревой в Мельбурн.
Когда образовалась пара с Брайаном, и на какой период времени?
Я не знаю, как долго мы с ним будем играть, а что касается образования пары, то просто мой тренер хорошо знает Брайана, и однажды Боб предложил мне сыграть вместе с ним микст, я и согласилась. В прошлом году мы удачно сыгрались и победили на US Open и поэтому решили продолжить сотрудничество и в Австралии.
А вкус победы, неважно, что это: одиночка, пара, микст одинаков везде?
К одиночным матчам я готовлюсь всегда гораздо больше и тренируюсь в принципе именно для одиночки. Поэтому когда получается то, над чем ты работаешь долго, радуешься как-то особенно, и когда проигрываешь, соответственно огорчаешься больше. С другой стороны, когда я выиграла в прошлом году свой первый турнир из серии Большого шлема в США, пусть даже в миксте, это было очень приятно.
У каждого соревнования свои особенности, какие есть у Открытого чемпионата Австралии?
Это единственный турнир из серии Большого шлема, где закрывают крышу не только из-за дождя, но и из-за жары (смеется ).
На каких то празднествах по поводу столетия турнира удалось побывать?
В среду прошла церемония, на корт выходили австралийские теннисисты, которые в разные годы выигрывали этот турнир, но мне ее не удалось посмотреть из-за того, что в это время я тренировалась. А каких то особых праздников я не заметила, просто на всех плакатах указано, что турниру в этом году сто лет.
Как свободное время проводите?
Я читаю, смотрю теннисные матчи по телевизору, или слушаю музыку, то есть провожу свободное время по-разному.
В Австралии лето, на пляж поближе к океану удалось выехать?
Нет! На это вообще практически никогда времени не хватает, особенно когда я проводила матчи каждый день, так я уезжала на корты в 9 утра и в 9 вечера только возвращалась в гостиницу.
Сейчас на турнирах играет так много наших девочек, «русские посиделки» часто устраиваете?
Честно говоря, очень сложно устроить такое и собраться всем вместе. Потому что на турнирах Большого шлема у каждого свой график, но иногда, когда совпадают «окна» в расписании мы идем в ресторан вместе покушать.
Когда собираются парни, они говорят о девушках, а о чем говорят девушки?
Я не знаю, о чем говорят мальчики на самом деле (смеется ), а мы обсуждаем буквально все. Конечно, очень много разговоров о теннисе, просто так уже по привычке получается. А так стараемся поговорить на разные темы.
Дальнейшие планы.
Пока точно не знаю, но может быть, поеду в Таиланд, на турнир который стартует на следующей неделе. В ближайшие пару дней посмотрю, как себя чувствую и уже решу. А потом сыграю в Мемфисе, Индиана Уэллсе и Майами.
Владас Ташев
Спортивный обозреватель радиостанции «Маяк».

Bepa said that she trains primarily for singles, so she is especially glad when she wins in singles, and more disappointed when she loses than she is if she loses in doubles or mixed. However, she said that winning the mixed title at the US Open was very pleasant.

She was asked if she has time to go to the beach, and she replied that she has no time because when she is playing matches every day, she leaves for the courts at 9am, and returns to the hotel at 9pm.

She said that her upcoming tournament plans are Thailand next week, Memphis, Indian Wells, and Miami.

goldenlox
Jan 28th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Vera has 174 points to defend in Memphis.
If she doesn't find her good form, she will fall in the rankings.
But I like that she thinks about more doubles.
That's the way to have a long, enjoyable career.
But the doubles money is at Tier I's and majors. Thailand doubles is for free:wavey:

Epigone
Jan 28th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Another interesting detail from that interview:

Bob and Bepa got together because Lex knows Bob well (I guessed it was an SFX Sports connection).

Anyway, it was actually Bob who asked Bepa if she wanted to play mixed doubles with him! He is one of the top doubles players on the ATP Tour, and he chose Bepa to partner him :)

goldenlox
Jan 28th, 2005, 05:28 PM
I'm a big believer in doubles at majors - that includes mixed.
You want to have long, enjoyable career.
Everyone should learn from Lena L. - she'll probably be around playing doubles for 10 more years.

Epigone
Jan 28th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Everyone should learn from Lena L. - she'll probably be around playing doubles for 10 more years.Everyone should learn from Martina Navratilova. Afterall, she will be playing in the mixed doubles final on Saturday.

I wonder how long Bepa wants her career to last. Somehow, I can't see her wanting to play doubles age the age of 48.

goldenlox
Jan 28th, 2005, 05:40 PM
I think Navratilova is starving for attention.
When she doesn't play, she does commentary.
Lena L. can enjoy her year because she knows she will do well in doubles.
It takes pressure off of her. A bad singles loss doesn't hurt too much.

Epigone
Jan 28th, 2005, 05:54 PM
I think Navratilova is starving for attention.
When she doesn't play, she does commentary.When I was in Sydney, I saw her practising at least once (and sometimes twice) each day. If she wanted attention, she could just commentate. She still has tremendous determination to succeed.

I can't see Bepa wanting to play tennis for such a long time. I've read interviews in which she discusses her preparation for life after tennis. I want her to have a stress-free life, and unless she really mellows out, the stress will get to her.

goldenlox
Jan 28th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Some people cry or yell, but they aren't stressed out.
They just react in the moment, and then they go on about their business.
Vera can cry, and then play good tennis.
She'll be okay.

Epigone
Jan 29th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Some people cry or yell, but they aren't stressed out.
They just react in the moment, and then they go on about their business.
Vera can cry, and then play good tennis.But other times, she'll cry and then go to pieces. Venting frustration is okay, but it should bring a positive change to performance. When Bepa vents, she can take herself out of the match.

She'll be okay.I hope so.

Epigone
Jan 29th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Look at the Tokyo draw :eek:

Bepa would have been seeded #4, so she would have got a 1st round bye, and she could have got some good wins and a large haul of points.

I don't know if she made the right decision by playing in Thailand. I sure hope she is playing doubles with Martina, otherwise :bigcry:

goldenlox
Jan 29th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Vera starts against Saleni.

deep bass
Jan 29th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Maybe she's thinking about doing a Maria. ie, playing in lesser tournys to work on her game. She's doing so badly since the YEC that a lesser tourny might help. I think she needs a win more than anything atm.

goldenlox
Jan 29th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Maria played lesser tournaments because her agent runs her career, and he wants appearance fees.

deep bass
Jan 29th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Ah yes, she got a huge chunk of change for playing in Korea or somewhere didn't she?

Epigone
Jan 29th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Main Draw
1-ZVONAREVA Vera(RUS) vs SALENI Maria Emilia(ARG)
BARNA Anca(GER) vs PEREBIYNIS Tatiana(UKR)
LINETSKAYA Evgenia(RUS) vs TANASUGARN Tamarine(THA)
5-BRANDI Kristina(PUR) vs SANTANGELO Mara(ITA)

3-MARTINEZ Conchita(ESP) vs Q
TALAJA Silvija(CRO) vs Q
SERRA ZANETTI Antoneila(ITA) vs Q
6-DOMACHOWSKA Marta(POL) vs Q

7-GROENEFELD Anna Lena(GER) vs HOPKINS Jennifer(USA)
VOSKOBOEVA Galina(RUS) vs FEDAK Yuliana(UKR)
KREMER Anne(LUX) vs DOKIC Jelena(SCG)
4-WASHINGTON Mashona(USA) vs BONDARENKO Alyona(UKR)

8-RUANO PASCUAL Virginia(ESP) vs OBZILER Tzipora(ISR)
WEINGARTNER Mariene(GER) vs WC-HINGIS Martina(SUI)
SERNA Magui(ESP) vs CZINK Melinda(HUN)
2-BARTOLI Marion(FRA) vs WC-DAMAYANTI Ayu Fanti(INA)

There are some dangerous players in the draw, and my mind always harks back to her 1st round match in Philadelphia :o

Having said that, if Bepa can't win against this field, then she should wave the white flag.

goldenlox
Jan 29th, 2005, 02:41 PM
If Vera can't get some wins in here, she will need to improve her focus.

Epigone
Jan 29th, 2005, 02:46 PM
If Vera can't get some wins in here, she will need to improve her focus.She needs to improve her focus, regardless of what happens here.

She might get away with certain things against a player ranked outside the top 100, but the same things won't fly when facing players in the top 10.

goldenlox
Jan 29th, 2005, 02:48 PM
If she could lose to Vera D. 3&3, she has to improve to beat Zhenya.
But one match at a time.

Epigone
Jan 29th, 2005, 02:57 PM
If she could lose to Vera D. 3&3, she has to improve to beat Zhenya.
But one match at a time.Zhenya isn't Vera D.

I think that Vera D. is a better defensive player than Zhenya, and I think her serve is more consistent. Vera D. would have made Bepa play a lot more ball than Zhenya would be able to do.

But, like I said, Bepa had to save a MP against Bammer in Philadelphia, so she is capable of playing absolutely horrible tennis at times.

goldenlox
Jan 29th, 2005, 03:00 PM
There are 2 Wimbledon champions in this draw.

Epigone
Jan 29th, 2005, 03:05 PM
There are 2 Wimbledon champions in this draw.It's an outdoor hardcourt tournament, so :shrug:

I hope the surface is high bounce...

goldenlox
Jan 29th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Vera is just as good on grass, as on hardcourt.

Epigone
Jan 29th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Vera is just as good on grass, as on hardcourt.I disagree.

Before Wimbldeon 2002, she hadn't played on grass, so she doesn't have a great deal experience on that surface.

In addition, take a look at her grip. It's a fairly extreme Western FH grip, so she has trouble on grass because it's fast and has low bounce. Her FH comes over the ball, so she has trouble picking it up.

goldenlox
Jan 29th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Vera was the next to last Russian standing at Wimbledon 2004.
And she gave Lindsay a good fight.

Epigone
Jan 29th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Vera was the next to last Russian standing at Wimbledon 2004.
And she gave Lindsay a good fight.Yes, she has some good results on grass, but she is better on hardcourts than she is on grass.

I think that grass is probably her weakest surface (although fast indoor courts don't exactly suit her), but she is able to play to a high level on all surfaces.

goldenlox
Jan 29th, 2005, 03:36 PM
I think she is equal on every surface.
But on grass, players like Lindsay, Serena, and Maria get more points on their serve.
That's why they are better on grass.

Epigone
Jan 29th, 2005, 03:55 PM
I think she is equal on every surface.I can't see much evidence of Bepa being equal on every surface.

But on grass, players like Lindsay, Serena, and Maria get more points on their serve.
That's why they are better on grass.Bepa, for whatever reason, likes to play as a counterpuncher.

Counterpunchers don't fare as well on fast, low bounce surfaces because it's harder to retrieve balls. As a counterpuncher, she is more suited to slower courts.

If she was to play the attacking style of game that she demonstrated during the summer, she might be more dangerous on grass, but I think that her grip still prevents her from taking it to the really big hitters.

goldenlox
Jan 29th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Vera has trouble with holding serve, and other elements of her game.
I saw her lose on clay in 2004. That suface doesn't help her when her game is off.
When she's on, she serves well. She did that in Montreal.
I think she's equal on all surfaces.

Epigone
Jan 29th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Vera has trouble with holding serve, and other elements of her game.
I saw her lose on clay in 2004. That suface doesn't help her when her game is off.You'll usually be in trouble if you can't hold your serve, regardless of the surface.

When she's on, she serves well. She did that in Montreal.
I think she's equal on all surfaces.Compare the French Open 2003 with Wimbledon 2003.

Bepa beat Venus at the French Open because she was able to keep balls in play and finally draw errors from Venus.

At Wimbldeon, she couldn't do that because the surface is faster and it's much harder to run down balls. If Bepa gets into a baseline rally on grass, she is at a disadvantage because of the way she hits her FH. She comes up and over the ball, and that is more difficult to do when the ball is coming in low and fast.

On other surfaces, she can (theoretically) choose whether she wants to attack, counterpunch, or play a mixture of both, provided her opponent isn't really dictating how she plays. On grass, she has to play a more attacking style of game. She is basically locked into one style of play, when I think that one of her strengths is to be able to adapt the way she plays during matches, and attack or defend depending on how her opponent is playing.

In general, when Bepa fails to return serves or not get to balls in rallies, it's because of poor anticipation, and not because of poor footspeed. On grass, she needs to anticipate very well to set herself for the shot and get her racquet under the ball. This is one of her weaknesses, and it means that she doesn't play as well on grass as she does on other surfaces.

goldenlox
Jan 29th, 2005, 04:11 PM
I saw Venus bury Vera on clay last spring. Venus was way off her game at the 2003 FO.
And Venus is another player with a big serve.
You can't go by the 2003 FO.

Epigone
Jan 29th, 2005, 04:25 PM
I saw Venus bury Vera on clay last spring. Venus was way off her game at the 2003 FO.
And Venus is another player with a big serve.
You can't go by the 2003 FO.Okay, then forget that I mentioned it :rolleyes:

The bottom line is that her style of play is not as suited to grass as it is to other surfaces. She has a pretty extreme Western FH grip, and she is primarily a counterpuncher. She wins many matches by running balls down, and that is something that is much harder to achieve on grass. Yes, if she had a bigger serve, she would be better on grass, but once she gets into rallies, her grip puts her at a disadvantage because it's harder for her to get under the ball.

goldenlox
Jan 29th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Vera is fine on every surface. It depends on her level of play.
It's the same with Sveta. She wins Eastbourne, then loses to Razzano in round 1 of Wimbledon.
It's up to Vera and Sveta to play well.

goldenlox
Jan 29th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Saleni is 21, and ranked about 120. A good first round opponent.

Epigone
Jan 29th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Take a look this (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=3080838&postcount=1370) post. ys was talking about this very point last year.

You get a very good look at her FH grip in that picture. As ys said, it is difficult to hit a ball that is travelling low and fast with that grip.

I think that Bepa should be able to make it to the QF and beyond at Wimbledon, but I'm saying that, all things being equal, she is at a disadvantage playing on grass with that grip.

goldenlox
Jan 29th, 2005, 04:49 PM
I remember what ys said.
Vera could have won Eastbourne. It was right there for her.
And she gave Anastasia a good fight in the KC.
I don't care about the surface. I care about Vera's level of play.
Sharapova - she's better on grass than on clay.
Vera is fine on both. When she's playing well.

deep bass
Jan 29th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Memphis draw in GM

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=149896

A toughie.

Epigone
Jan 30th, 2005, 01:50 AM
Memphis draw in GM

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=149896

A toughie.Actually, that's not too bad. Lisa Raymond would have been the biggest threat, and she is apparently not playing. I guess that Shaughnessy, Stosur, and Vaidisova will be the main competition.

Bepa's serve wasn't going so well at the start of last year, yet Bepa still took out Sharapova and Raymond back to back.

If she plays well, she will defend her title :)

Daniel
Jan 30th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Good luck in Pattaya :D