PDA

View Full Version : Vera Zvonareva rise to the top thread !!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

Epigone
Sep 23rd, 2004, 07:27 AM
Match stats
1st serves 43% :crying2:
Aces 2
DFs 3
Winners 16
UEs 17
BPs won 4/10

Incidentally, Gagliardi won 1/1 BP, and that's when Vera served for the match the first time. Vera needs to close out matches on serve, which seems to be an issue with a lot of the Russians.

Gowza
Sep 23rd, 2004, 07:29 AM
43% 1st serves and still 2 aces, thats a pretty good ratio for vera. more unforced errors than winners tho, it's ok against the lower ranked playrs but she'll need to cut down on those UEs against the top guns. good luck next round vera!

mandy7
Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:01 AM
screw the stats, she won :p

:woohoo: yay vera!! :bounce:

Frank
Sep 23rd, 2004, 09:04 AM
Congrats to Vera...:)

I wonder if she'll ever manage to become one of the stronger players on the tour mentally spoken...

Emptiness
Sep 23rd, 2004, 09:52 AM
Yay Vera. :)
She'll definitely need to step it up if she hopes to win.

I don't know if she'll be able to overcome herself mentally... her old coach did say shes been like this her whole life. I doubt she'll make a big change any time soon.

cool_olga
Sep 23rd, 2004, 09:57 AM
She says she sees nothing wrong with that, maybe she even doesn't want to change anything.

Emptiness
Sep 23rd, 2004, 10:18 AM
Yeah... she needs a dose of reality. I mean doesn't she watch tapes of herself? She has to see how irrational her behaviour is. :confused:

Foot's Fingers
Sep 23rd, 2004, 10:27 AM
Congaratulations to Vera!!!

no1mariafan
Sep 23rd, 2004, 02:36 PM
Well Done Vera!

Vera won 6-2 6-3 :yippee:

I got to see some of the match online, and I was fairly happy with Vera's play.

You got to see the match online? where? :bounce:

KV
Sep 23rd, 2004, 02:38 PM
Vera good easy win :)

Epigone
Sep 23rd, 2004, 02:44 PM
Well Done Vera!
You got to see the match online? where? :bounce:I posted a link to it in Vera Douchevina's thread. It was a direct feed of the Chinese TV station showing the tournament.

goldenlox
Sep 23rd, 2004, 03:06 PM
A good start to the fall season. Vera's best tennis is all in the future.

goldenlox
Sep 23rd, 2004, 03:20 PM
I don't want idiots trolling in this thread.
Then leave.

Vera should post somewhere that is well moderated.If Vera posts here, I guarantee you she will be treated with respect. I'll start a thread with Vera's comments. So everyone who comes into Russian Roulette can read Vera's opinions.
It could start a very positive trend among the players.

Epigone
Sep 23rd, 2004, 03:28 PM
If Vera posts here, I guarantee you she will be treated with respect. I'll start a thread with Vera's comments. So everyone who comes into Russian Roulette can read Vera's opinions.
It could start a very positive trend among the players.GL, Vera will have her own website, which will have a forum. Vera fans from all over the world will be able to post in that forum, and Vera, if she wants to post anywhere, will most likely post there.

goldenlox
Sep 23rd, 2004, 03:33 PM
More people involved in tennis, especially Russian tennis, will read Vera's comments if she posts in this forum.

Epigone
Sep 23rd, 2004, 03:38 PM
More people involved in tennis, especially Russian tennis, will read Vera's comments if she posts in this forum.GL, I must admit that I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean :confused:

If people want to read comments made by Vera, why wouldn't they go to her website to look at them?

To which people involved in Russian tennis are you referring?

Can you suggest which posters who post in this forum would not go to a forum on Vera's official website?

goldenlox
Sep 23rd, 2004, 03:41 PM
I'm saying that people involved with any of the Russian players will come to this site.
It's possible some of the players come here. If one of the top players were to post here, others may follow.
One of these players has to take the initiative, and dare to be different.
It would be great if that special someone is Vera.

Epigone
Sep 23rd, 2004, 04:27 PM
GL, how about this - Vera's forum can have a board dedicated to other Russian players, and Vera can ask her Russian friends on the tour if they'd like to post on her board. Since most of the Russian players love Vera, they might be willing to do this :)

goldenlox
Sep 23rd, 2004, 04:33 PM
I think if Vera wants to share some of her experiences, she then becomes the voice of Russian tennis, since none of the other players have shown the leadership qualities that are involved in doing this.
If Vera is now the voice of Russian tennis, she should speak to all of us.
And we'll listen to everything Vera says.

cool_olga
Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:02 PM
U are crazy. Again same story. Why all this thinking about Vera posting here. It's something you can't doanything with GL, it's not up to you and I don't think Vera would post here.

goldenlox
Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:11 PM
I think if Vera wants to share her thoughts, this is the place.
None of the Russian players give their opinions on the internet.
To me it's pretty obvious. If you choose to give your opinions publicly, this is the forum.
I'll moderate it.

Epigone
Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:26 PM
GL, like I said before, Vera has posted at sharapova.ru in Russian. In other cases, she has posted in English when people have set up fansites for her. Her official site will be the first time she has some control over what happens with respect to a website, and I think it will mean that she will be happy to post there.

goldenlox
Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:30 PM
Vera can have total control here. I'll make sure of that.
This is the place to learn about Russian tennis on the internet.
Vera can start a trend here, that can change the way sports and the internet synergize.

Be a pioneer, Vera.

Epigone
Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:38 PM
Vera can have total control here. I'll make sure of that.
This is the place to learn about Russian tennis on the internet.
Vera can start a trend here, that can change the way sports and the internet synergize.

Be a pioneer, Vera.Fine, a call will go out to Vera asking her to post here. But once her site is up and running, I can't see what she would get from posting here.

goldenlox
Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:41 PM
Vera posting here might lead to other players posting here.
We can have an exchange of thoughts involving the greatest group of women tennis players coming from one country at one time in the history of the sport.

Gowza
Sep 24th, 2004, 02:32 AM
good luck vera with your next match!

KV
Sep 24th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Vera leads 6-2 4-0

Epigone
Sep 24th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Vera won 6-2 6-3 :yeah:

Now beat Serena!!!

KV
Sep 24th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Into SEMIS again :D

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 24th, 2004, 02:16 PM
well done Vera :yeah: :) :)
good luck tomorrow :)

ghosts
Sep 24th, 2004, 02:25 PM
C'mon Vera, win China :p :banana:

Frank
Sep 24th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Great! :)

Loads of good luck against Serena now...:)

goldenlox
Sep 24th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Vera played well against Serena in L.A. this summer.
And Vera beat Svetlana and Maria this summer.
But this would be the kind of win that could take Vera's game to the next, and highest, level.
It will be difficult, but you have to earn these kinds of wins with great tennis.

Frank
Sep 24th, 2004, 03:29 PM
I definitely think Vera can win...She has been really impressive this summer and it's not difficult to tell she has the potential...She hasn't reached her full potential and this match is a nice step in going towards that point...:)

goldenlox
Sep 24th, 2004, 03:33 PM
This is a difficult tournament. To beat Serena, and the slam winner who wins the other semi, will be hard to do.
The Tennis Channel is showing both semis, and the final. I want to see a lot of Vera.

Frank
Sep 24th, 2004, 03:44 PM
It sure is a difficult tournament. But both Serena and Maria haven't been in top form while Sveta is fatigued...So there are definitely possibilities for her...

t_fan
Sep 24th, 2004, 03:56 PM
IMHO, right now the trouble for Vera is her opponent's consistency. She gets frustrated too easily against that kind of opposition. She defeated Masha and went down to Momo. She lost to Lindsay who was in super form in Cincy. She lost to LenaD at USO. All players she had problems with were consistent (well, LenaD was in 2nd and 3rd set). Serena isn't at her best right now, so there's definitely a chance. Big chance I'd say.

Epigone
Sep 24th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Dinara had Serena on the ropes and 3-1 in the 3rd, and led the lead slip away. When Vera gets on top in the match tomorrow, she has to fight as hard as she can to hold. That means serving well. If Vera serves well, I think she has a great chance of winning.

goldenlox
Sep 24th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Vera had a real chance to beat Serena this summer. But Serena played better in the third set.
Same problem at the US Open against Elena.
Vera has to play well for the entire match, to beat the elite players.
I didn't see the easy win over Sveta. She played well in her win against Maria, but Maria gave away a lot of points.
Vera has to keep her level of play as high as she can, for the whole match.

And then give us a report in this thread. Udachi Vera!

DEETHELICK
Sep 24th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Best of luck to Vera! I hope she can pull this one out. She played Serena tough last time. And I am sure she can do it again.

I want to see another fantastic Vera-Maria final with the same result as in Canada!

Vera, get a BIG title!!! :)

Epigone
Sep 24th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Consistency across a match is Vera's biggest problem, and it's all got to do with what is going on in her head. If she feels that she isn't hitting the ball well, even if she is leading, she will get down on herself. If she irons out that problem, she will be good to go.

Epigone
Sep 24th, 2004, 04:25 PM
And then give us a report in this thread. Udachi Vera!Centre Court (from 13.00hrs)
1. Gagliardi/Safina vs. Li/Sun
2. Sharapova vs. Kuznetsova (NB 15.30hrs)
3. S.Williams vs. Zvonareva (NB 18.00hrs)

Vera is playing in the evening, so she wouldn't be posting after the match.

goldenlox
Sep 24th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Vera can give us a report whenever she wants to. As long as Vera keeps winning, I'm going to talk about her posting here.
It could be good luck.

cool_olga
Sep 24th, 2004, 06:16 PM
GL, maybe stop talking about this posting all the time.
Vera will be on Eurosport tomorrow :D

goldenlox
Sep 24th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Vera's on the Tennis Channel too.:D

Epigone
Sep 24th, 2004, 06:26 PM
I haven't seen Vera play a full match since the 4th round of the Australian Open 2004. I tried to watch her 2nd round match against Gagliardi online, but it was usually too choppy to work out what was happening.

I want a satellite dish :crying2:

Emptiness
Sep 24th, 2004, 10:29 PM
I feel your pain Epigone... Canadian tennis coverage sucks only grand slams and Roger's Cup. I want the Tennis Channel I'm even desperate enough to go for ESPN. :crying2:

Good luck Vera, I know you can beat Serena if you believe in yourself.

cool_olga
Sep 24th, 2004, 10:48 PM
We are lucky Eiropost has a deal with WTA so we get all Tier II and Tier I events. Finals always, semis often and some tournaments from second round so pretty good :)

Daniel
Sep 24th, 2004, 10:58 PM
~~~~ Good Luck ~~~~

:worship: :bounce: :D

Epigone
Sep 25th, 2004, 08:42 AM
You can find stats from Vera's match against Anabel Medina Garrigues here: http://photo.sohu.com/20040924/Img222228230.xls

Epigone
Sep 25th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Vera has a SF win-loss record of 2-5 this season, and 4-9 lifetime.

While the stats are against her, I think that Vera can win if she plays aggressive tennis

Epigone
Sep 25th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Vera lost the 1st set 2-6

She was broken twice, including in the 8th game. According to people in the scoring thread, Vera is making too many UEs, but it sounds like she is blazing away. They said the score could very easily be the other way around. I just hope that more of her shots land in.

Now she'll have to win this match in 3.

Udachi Vera!!!

Epigone
Sep 25th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Vera missed a BP chance in the 1st game of the 2nd set

Vera serving 2nd game of 2nd set
40-0 --> deuce, but she finally held

That's the tough way to hold :o

Epigone
Sep 25th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Vera had gamepoint at *2-1 40-30, but was broken

Why can't she ever consolidate breaks? :crying2:

Epigone
Sep 25th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Vera led *3-2 after breaking, but once again failed to consolidate :(

Epigone
Sep 25th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Vera lost 2-6 3-6

A familiar tale of opportunities gone begging :hysteric:

You aren't supposed to DF twice when serving at *3-4

pav
Sep 25th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Yes a bit sad to see Her not be able to consolidate after achieving breaks,
no doubt She wanted to,I think Sveta had the easier end of the stick tonight, but still had to do the job I suppose! oh well, tennis over, league game over, time for bed.

DEETHELICK
Sep 25th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Vera doesn't lack anything in her actual game. She has all the big shots, maybe strike the forehand with a little more authority. The biggest problem is concentration and just being tough point by point.

Vera's mental lapses are the most common reason of her undoing. Her game was awesome to watch, it was just a case of not being able to execute when she needed it the most.

Good luck next time Vera! :D

ghosts
Sep 25th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Vera :mad: should have done more in the second .........

Epigone
Sep 25th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Interview with Vera after the match: http://www.chinaopen.cn/20040925/n222239881.shtml

goldenlox
Sep 25th, 2004, 03:25 PM
As soon as I saw the draw, I knew being in Maria's half was the place to be.
Serena is an excellent player. This is nothing to feel bad about.
Vera can play a Tier III once in a while, like Memphis. But to win the big events, you have to beat the best players.

goldenlox
Sep 25th, 2004, 05:29 PM
It's going to be hard for Vera to make the YEC this year. She has to stay confident, and stay positive.
She's doing very well. You can't let expectations ruin your enjoyment. You have accomplished a lot.
If it was easy, we would all be in the top 15. Enjoy your successes, try to learn from your losses, and then enjoy your meals. And move on to the next tournament.

Epigone
Sep 25th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Vera won't make the YEC. I knew that after she had the meltdown at the US Open. Her goal now should be to win the Kremlin Cup. That's the tournament she values most, so winning the title in front of her home crowd would be a career highlight.

goldenlox
Sep 25th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Vera should enjoy this week off, then try to win her next match. Don't look ahead.

I'm thinking that the fame and the fortune at the very top can look scary. Intimidating.
You have to look at one match at a time. And focus on improving your game.
And then the other stuff just happens, as you keep improving.

Emptiness
Sep 26th, 2004, 01:03 AM
A bit disappointing, I was hoping to come on and see she took down Serena. I hope she is not too sad and comes back stronger.

saab95
Sep 26th, 2004, 09:07 AM
OMG! Vera is hockey fan too. Not Dinamo but CSKA & Lada. Andrey Nikolishyn, Gonchar, Zubov...
Who is next ?!

goldenlox
Sep 26th, 2004, 06:14 PM
The Tennis Channel is showing the San Diego semi against Anastasia again today.
It's already a classic.
It's important for Vera to stay patient. The majors are over for 2004. But there are 4 more next year.
The higher Vera is seeded, the better her chances are.

goldenlox
Sep 26th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Vera still has a real chance at the YEC, but she would need to win a tournament, or just have much better results, than Venus, Jennifer, and Maria.

Vera should be thinking positively. She doesn't have a bad loss since before the French Open.
She can play with almost anyone in the world. She beat Svetlana decisively this summer.
The future starts today. And Vera has a very bright future.

Frank
Sep 26th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Vera deserves it more than Venus, Jennifer and Maria IMO...

pav
Sep 26th, 2004, 09:44 PM
The Tennis Channel is showing the San Diego semi against Anastasia again today.
It's already a classic.
It's important for Vera to stay patient. The majors are over for 2004. But there are 4 more next year.
The higher Vera is seeded, the better her chances are.

Not fair I Haven't seen that one or the last Vera/Maria match!

:mad: :crying2: Jealous!!

Epigone
Sep 27th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Vera won't make YEC unless she wins Moscow, and then I think it would still be difficult.

In her favour is the fact that Venus and Jennifer won't be playing as much as Vera, and Maria has decided to play a Tier IV, and then a Tier III.

Had Vera defeated Elena at the US Open, she would have a much better chance. But that's in the past. Vera has to now look forward and go into each tournament expecting to take the title.

goldenlox
Sep 27th, 2004, 03:17 PM
I think Vera is close enough that a strong autumn run will get her there. The way Venus played in NYC, I think she's the favorite.
But Vera has a chance, and she should try her best. I'm sure she will.

pav
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:36 PM
I think it's a worry that The W.T.A. reserves the right to monkey around with the eighth spot, it would not be amusing if Vera did fight Her way to # 8 and then have it given to someone the W.T.A. gods deem "more suitable"

goldenlox
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Vera is just as "suitable" as anyone else. Anyway, next week is a Porsche to the winner.
Then comes the Tier I Kremlin Cup. So there's plenty of incentive for Vera to play her best tennis.

Epigone
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Vera is just as "suitable" as anyone else."Suitable" from the WTA Tour's standpoint is someone who will sell tickets, and that's not Vera.

veryborednow
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:24 PM
I think it's a worry that The W.T.A. reserves the right to monkey around with the eighth spot, it would not be amusing if Vera did fight Her way to # 8 and then have it given to someone the W.T.A. gods deem "more suitable"I agree. They've shot themselves in the foot by not specifiying beforehand (as with the ATP) that an 8th spot would be saved for a grand slam winner. I think the new depth within the top 11 has suprised them - they're slow. And unless the tournament's held on grass I think Vera has more right to be there than Maria.

goldenlox
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:27 PM
If Vera catches Capriati and the rest, that means she's playing great tennis.
The WTA would be crazy to keep a red hot player out of the YEC.
But there's no reason to argue this nonsense. All the top players will be at these next 2 tournaments. It will be tough for Vera do reach a semi. Reaching a semi would be a positive result.

Epigone
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Vera will win the Kremlin Cup, but not make the YEC

goldenlox
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:45 PM
I'll take that trade. But winning the KC will be very tough.

Epigone
Sep 28th, 2004, 05:08 PM
I'll take that trade. But winning the KC will be very tough.Vera will take that trade as well.

I know that she wants to perform really well in front of her home crowd. That will either push her to the next level, where she is capable of beating anyone, or it will reduce her to tears and a spectacular meltdown.

I am really hoping that she will keep it together this time and put on the performance of her life.

goldenlox
Sep 28th, 2004, 05:16 PM
I don't think she's going to meltdown. I've watched Vera a lot this summer. She shows her emotions, but she's always under control.
I agree with Luke Jensen. Vera has to be more consistent, and choose her opportunities wisely.
With more experience, she will learn when to go for winners, and when to play safe.
I think Vera, Nadia, and Lena B. are all capable of reaching the finals of a major in 2005.
Maybe Vera will win a major, if Serena's not all the way back to her 2002 form.

Epigone
Sep 28th, 2004, 05:24 PM
I don't think she's going to meltdown. I've watched Vera a lot this summer. She shows her emotions, but she's always under control.There is no way that Vera was under control in her US Open match against Elena.

Vera cried after taking the 1st set 6-1, she was hitting herself with her racquet, and she didn't have her head in the game. Had she been able to keep her emotions in check, that would have been a straight sets win.

goldenlox
Sep 28th, 2004, 05:34 PM
That match wasn't on tv. I wasn't home, but I taped CBS that day.
Vera often cries during changeovers. I cry when I watch Titanic.
Vera plays well after crying.

Epigone
Sep 28th, 2004, 05:47 PM
I didn't see the match either, but I saw a highlight package on Eurosport, and it wasn't just Vera crying during changeovers. It was Vera putting her face in her hands and crying while on court. It was Vera hitting herself in the foot and head with her racquet. It was Vera throwing her racquet on the ground in disgust. After the match, she sat on the floor in the players' tunnel and cried.

Bottom line is that she wasn't in control out there, and it cost her the match.

goldenlox
Sep 28th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Anastasia was crying during her match in Athens with Justine.
I can only go by the 5 matches I've seen Vera play this summer.
She's never been a better player, and she cries, and makes some motions like she might smash her racket.
But she's been playing well.

And I didn't see her big win over Sveta. That was her best result. I saw against Serena, and Maria, she played her best tennis.

Epigone
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:08 PM
I've no doubt that Vera is playing the best she has ever played. However, where she is now, and where she could be if she kept her emotions in check are two very different places.

I see a tremendous amount of untapped potential in Vera. All that she needs to do is believe that she can win, and stay calm on court. I told her that she needs to relax and have fun when she is playing, but it seems like she has failed to heed my advice :sad:.

However, I think that Vera will change over the offseason. I think she will work on the mental aspect of her game, and come out stonger next year. I'm expecting her to be a serious contender for the Australian Open title.

Epigone
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:50 PM
OMG! Vera is hockey fan too. Not Dinamo but CSKA & Lada. Andrey Nikolishyn, Gonchar, Zubov...
Who is next ?!I can understand Vera supporting CSKA, but Lada? :scratch:

Could you please tell me where you found this interesting information? :)

veryborednow
Sep 28th, 2004, 09:35 PM
That will either push her to the next level, where she is capable of beating anyone, or it will reduce her to tears and a spectacular meltdown. Heh. :D

She has to be the most frustrating player on the tour to watch and support. I sometimes just want to give her a good shake, but then she plays a magnificant shot the next point.

All of Eurosports "Points of the day" were all from Vera, none from Serena.

Somebody needs to enforce some kind of perspective. Yes, the other player played a good shot, or you played a bad one. But it's just one point. Not the end of the match, which it will be when you fall apart emotionally.

sPAWrty
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:48 AM
There is no way that Vera was under control in her US Open match against Elena.

Vera cried after taking the 1st set 6-1, she was hitting herself with her racquet, and she didn't have her head in the game. Had she been able to keep her emotions in check, that would have been a straight sets win.

I saw that match live. After the first set Vera was sitting with the face covered by the towel. And that's it. I don't think she was crying then. In the second set Lena started up a gear and she returned to her famous sliced serve. In the first set she had her all-new serve (up to the 105 mph once!). But it didn't work against Vera who gave her great returns. And the meltdown was started at the end of the 2nd set especially after the second set when Vera smashed the bottle of water on the ground and was swinging her racquet trying to show something to her team. And yes, she was crying and, I guess, cursing.

Epigone
Sep 29th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Bepa just needs some loving, and I know who can give it to her.I know the person to whom you're referring, and that is :cuckoo:

We don't like trolls in this thread. Thank you :)

Epigone
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Sorry. Change that person I was referring to, to Elena Bovina. I bets you like it then, big boy.The purpose of this thread is to follow the rise to the top of Vera ZVONAREVA (RUS). Please cease talking about other players in this thread. Discussing Lena B will draw unwanted attention from the mods ;)

Daniel
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:12 PM
I've no doubt that Vera is playing the best she has ever played. However, where she is now, and where she could be if she kept her emotions in check are two very different places.

I see a tremendous amount of untapped potential in Vera. All that she needs to do is believe that she can win, and stay calm on court. I told her that she needs to relax and have fun when she is playing, but it seems like she has failed to heed my advice :sad:.

However, I think that Vera will change over the offseason. I think she will work on the mental aspect of her game, and come out stonger next year. I'm expecting her to be a serious contender for the Australian Open title.
I agree with you, there is much potential on her but i dont know when she will show it. But i guess she is still geting mature, hadling things in another way, growing up.

goldenlox
Sep 29th, 2004, 04:38 PM
I was looking at the entry list for Filderstadt. Vera will not be one of the eight seeds.
This might be the toughest field all year. And it's a Tier II.
Vera still has to improve her game. Her consistency, her decision making.
The players who were injured this year are getting healthy.
The top of the tour is getting more competitive.

Vera will have to take her game to a higher level to win a tournament like this one.

Epigone
Sep 30th, 2004, 04:04 AM
For those of you who didn't work it out, Nicolás was Lina. I wanted to respond to her last post, but the mods must have come after her again.

Vera just needs to adjust her way of thinking. She needs to take her mind to a higher level to win this tournament

Vera after Filderstadt ==> :drive: in a new Porsche

yankees
Sep 30th, 2004, 04:21 AM
Do players only get a Porsche for winning? I wonder what Filderstadt gives out to each player... must be some really good shit since everyone and their mother wants in the thing. Moscow should copy them.

Anyway, Vera can win. But a fast indoor court doesn't suit Vera best. And she'll have to win 5 matches against all quality opponents. Let's take it one at a time.

Gowza
Sep 30th, 2004, 04:26 AM
i think vera is in tranistion atm, she almost always beats the players ranked below her but rarely wins matches against players ranked above her. she has been challenging them a few times but she hasnt got that many wins over them. she can win over these top players, she has shown she can compete with them she just needs to get over the line now.

Emptiness
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:02 AM
Vera after Filderstadt ==> :drive: in a new PorscheHaha! I hope she has better control over her anger behind the wheel than on the tennis courts. :help:

But yeah i argee Gowza and Epigone, I think Vera has the game to beat higher ranked players but its mental. She has believe she is on par with them. Maybe Filderstadt will be the tournment she gets her big breakthrough [and maybe even without crying ;) ].

Too bad i won't get to see her... again. :crying2:

goldenlox
Sep 30th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Vera's only title this year is a Tier III in Memphis. So I don't expect her to win Filderstadt.
But I do expect her to keep improving.

Epigone
Sep 30th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Vera's only title this year is a Tier III in Memphis. So I don't expect her to win Filderstadt.
But I do expect her to keep improving.Sveta's only title this year before the US Open was Eastbourne. In the end, it only matters how you play on the day.
If Vera plays good tennis, she is in with a chance. She has played a number of matches this year that she probably should have won. If luck is on her side for once, she will be a contender.

goldenlox
Sep 30th, 2004, 04:37 PM
I think winning Filderstadt will take better tennis than Sveta's road to win the US Open.
She beat Frazier, Pierce, Petrova, an injured Lindsay, and Lena D.
Filderstadt will be the toughest tournament so far in 2004.

cool_olga
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Yeah and that's why it is so interesting. I think Sharapova will go out quickly. Sveta can do well, Cera also but when she will meet somebody like Serena she can loose, though i don't want her too. With Nastya we can't be sure. Sveta should be dangerours there, playing very well.

goldenlox
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Lindsay and Serena deserve to be the favorites, if Lindsay is healthy. Kim and Justine are tough too.
Sharapova is playing in Japan. Nastya, Lena D., Sveta, Vera - this field is stacked with good players.

Epigone
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:15 PM
It might take better tennis, but Vera is a very capable player. Her serve has improved in speed, but the accuracy has decreased. If she holds serve against the top players, she can win.

Vera is capable of breaking serve, but she has trouble consolidating. If I was Lex Carrington, that's the area I'd focus on (besides the head issues :o ).

goldenlox
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:21 PM
I saw Vera's losses to Lindsay and Serena. Those are the 2 best players right now.
Although Justine and Kim are capable when fit.
But the amount of good players in Filderstadt is amazing.

cool_olga
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Vera is able to serve very well. In match against Sharapova in Montreal, she won is thanks to her serve. Couple of aces and winning serves at important moments, that was impressive. If she could serve like that all the time her chances would be really different.

goldenlox
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:40 PM
I have that match on tape, and Vera played well. But Sharapova hasn't beaten anyone in the top 30 in her last 6 tournaments.
Lindsay and Serena both beat Vera decisively since then. And Vera didn't play well in her second set against Mauresmo in Montreal.
I think Vera is still a little behind the top players.

Epigone
Sep 30th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Vera went up a break twice in the 2nd set against Serena in Beijing, but she couldn't hold serve in the following game. All that she needed to do was hold serve, and the match could have gone to a 3rd set. In her match against Gagliardi, she was serving at 43%. That number should be at least 60%.

Serving at such a low percentage means more second serves, which means Vera's opponents have a greater chance of hitting an attacking return.

Gowza
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:38 PM
is vera trying to beef up her first serve? might be why she has low percentages on it these days. i remember hewitt last year when he had that big fall in the rankings, it was because his first serve % fell away and that was because he was trying to beef it up.

eddy
Oct 1st, 2004, 01:45 AM
Vera has beefed up her first serve. In the past few months, she noticeably has hit it with more pace. I think the lower 1st serve % is worth the risk, because many players were able to attack her 1st serves before. Plus, Bepa is the kind of player that needs to work hard for every point. Free points every now and then are a good thing.

goldenlox
Oct 1st, 2004, 04:29 PM
Vera went up a break twice in the 2nd set against Serena in Beijing, but she couldn't hold serve in the following game. All that she needed to do was hold serve, and the match could have gone to a 3rd set. In her match against Gagliardi, she was serving at 43%. That number should be at least 60%.

Serving at such a low percentage means more second serves, which means Vera's opponents have a greater chance of hitting an attacking return.Against Lindsay in Cincinnati, Vera had bp's, but you could see Lindsay was the better player. Steadier, and with better placement.
In the Beijing match, Serena looked the better player. She played better than in California.

Lindsay and Serena are the absolute top of the sport. I'm not knocking Vera's game.
She's an excellent player. But still one step from the top.

Epigone
Oct 1st, 2004, 04:39 PM
In the Beijing match, Serena looked the better player. She played better than in California.Yet Vera broke Serena in her first two service games in the 2nd set. Vera shouldn't have let those chances slip through her fingers. A bigger, more consistent serve may have allowed Vera to consolidate, in which case she would have stayed in the match.

goldenlox
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:15 PM
This next forward move is the hardest to do. Right now, Vera can make a great living, and play in any tournaments that she wants.
And if the draw is just right, and luck is there, she might win a major.

But to be a consistent top 5 player, and threaten at every major - that step above where Vera is now - that will be very difficult to do.
Only a few players can reach that level.

eddy
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:17 PM
Only 5 players can be a Top 5 player.

goldenlox
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:24 PM
Only 5 players can be a Top 5 player.
Thank you Captain Obvious.

Epigone
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:27 PM
Thank you Captain Obvious.goldenlox gets her claws out :eek:

I think that Vera will move forward when she is mentally ready. When that will be, I'm not sure...

goldenlox
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:29 PM
goldenlox gets her claws out :eek:

...Meow! I like to see some sign of intelligence.

Epigone
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:36 AM
With Serena and JCap withdrawing from Filderstadt, Bepa will now be seeded :banana:

That will reduce the chance of getting a tough opponent in the 1st round, and since Bepa hasn't lost to a lower-ranked opponent since Zuluaga in Berlin, it is highly likely that she'll move into the 2nd round :)

pav
Oct 2nd, 2004, 09:40 AM
certainly nothing to cry about in that news!( I'd better be more careful with My choice of words, or Goldenlox might beat up on Me!) :)

Emptiness
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:34 AM
Yay all the best to Vera. I want her to atleast get into the quarter finals.

goldenlox
Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:32 PM
I wish Serena was playing Filderstadt. With her out, the KC is the toughest tournament this fall.

Emptiness
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:20 AM
Well its no surprise... but there are still quality players. I perceive Davenport as a bigger threat than Serena at the moment. Shes produced better results this year.

eddy
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:52 AM
I wish Serena was playing Filderstadt. With her out, the KC is the toughest tournament this fall.
KC gets its fair share of withdrawals every year... it definitely won't be as strong as the current commitment list shows.

Epigone
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:19 PM
Filderstadt

Bepa's quarter of the draw for singles:

6 Vera Zvonareva[RUS] vs Elena Likhovtseva[RUS]
Mary Pierce[FRA] vs Paola Suarez[ARG]
WC Nathalie Dechy[FRA] vs Magdalena Maleeva
3 Anastasia Myskina[RUS] vs bye

Bepa has to face her friend Lena L in the 1st round :sad:, and then she could face another friend in Nastya in the QF. I'm quite confident that Bepa will make the QF, and I think that she has a great chance of making the SF. But one step at a time :)

[b]Bepa's half of the draw for doubles:
(WC)Gronefeld/Schruff vs Schett/Schnyder
(WC)Hantuchova/Sanchez-Vicario vs (4) Myskina/Zvonareva
Qualifiers vs Kostanic/McShea
Callens/Svensson vs (2) Husarova/Likhovtseva

Bepa and Nastya back together again :unsure:. This team has really disappointed me, so I hope that they put in a good performance for once, and I also hope that Nastya doesn't withdraw again :o

eddy
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:24 PM
A decent draw for Bepa...

Good - Any time Myskina is the highest seed in your section, that is a good thing.

Bad - I think overlooking Pierce is a mistake, Epigone... that's a very difficult match for Bepa.

Epigone
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:35 PM
Bad - I think overlooking Pierce is a mistake, Epigone... that's a very difficult match for Bepa.Yes, Mary did beat Bepa in the Fed Cup finals last year, and she has defeated some very good players this year. On the other hand, Bepa hasn't lost to a lower-ranked player since she played Zuluaga in Berlin, and I think that she will be able to overpower Pierce. However, Bepa is so unpredictable that I don't really want to think too far ahead.

goldenlox
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:31 PM
Vera should not look past Lena L.
Lena has reached the Montreal final, beating Myskina, Capriati, Petrova. Then she won Forest Hills.
Very dangerous floater.

Epigone
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:09 PM
I don't think that Vera underestimates any of her opponents. If anything, she underestimates her own ability.

Lena L had a great tournament in Montreal, but she hasn't displayed that type of form consistently. Vera will take this match seriously, and she should win.

goldenlox
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:12 PM
Lena L. has won 7 of her last 9. And she's beaten Nadia twice this summer in first round matches.
This could be a very difficult match for Vera. As Myskina found out in Montreal.
Or it could be an easy 6-1, 6-1.

But Vera had better prepare for the good Elena. Just in case that's the one who shows up.

eddy
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:35 PM
Yes, Mary did beat Bepa in the Fed Cup finals last year, and she has defeated some very good players this year. On the other hand, Bepa hasn't lost to a lower-ranked player since she played Zuluaga in Berlin, and I think that she will be able to overpower Pierce. However, Bepa is so unpredictable that I don't really want to think too far ahead.
Pierce isn't your average #26 ranked player though. If she's healthy, and hitting her shots, she's right up to Bepa's level. Bepa definitely won't overpower Pierce... Mary's shots are still amongst the strongest in the game. Bepa needs to play percentage tennis, and move Mary around. This is still a match Bepa should win, but by no means will it be easy.

Vera should not look past Lena L.
Lena has reached the Montreal final, beating Myskina, Capriati, Petrova. Then she won Forest Hills.
Very dangerous floater.

No offense to Likhovtseva, but if Vera plays decently she should have no trouble. Lena L drew some good breaks to get to the final of Montreal. She is definitely not one of the best 30 players in the world. Vera has the advantage in every way against Lena.

goldenlox
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:06 PM
I was impressed by Lena in her wins against Capriati and Myskina.
But she lost to Kirilenko in Queens, so I don't know what she'll do.
I still think Vera needs to be focused. And she has been. No bad losses since before RG.

Epigone
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Vera is being focused enough to avoid bad losses, but not focused enough to win tight matches against top players. She still needs to learn how to hold onto leads.

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Filderstadt

Bepa's quarter of the draw for singles:

6 Vera Zvonareva[RUS] vs Elena Likhovtseva[RUS]
Mary Pierce[FRA] vs Paola Suarez[ARG]
WC Nathalie Dechy[FRA] vs Magdalena Maleeva
3 Anastasia Myskina[RUS] vs bye

[b]Bepa's half of the draw for doubles:
(WC)Gronefeld/Schruff vs Schett/Schnyder
(WC)Hantuchova/Sanchez-Vicario vs (4) Myskina/Zvonareva
Qualifiers vs Kostanic/McShea
Callens/Svensson vs (2) Husarova/Likhovtseva
A good draw in that she avoids Lindsay and Amelie. But every match could be difficult. Vera will be playing veterans who have game. And have proven themselves at the Tier I level.

Epigone
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Vera and Nastya were broken while serving for the match at 6-3 *5-4 :mad:

It's 3:40am and I want to go to bed :crying2:

Never ask a Russian to serve out a match :o

Epigone
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Vera and Nastya won 6-3 7-5

I guess they did manage to serve it out the second time around :D

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Why would you stay up until 4AM to watch the scoreboard of a first round doubles match at a Tier II?

eddy
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Why would you stay up until 4AM to watch the scoreboard of a first round doubles match at a Tier II?
You'd do it if it was Anna.

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Only for Bastrikova. We're buds.

Epigone
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Why would you stay up until 4AM to watch the scoreboard of a first round doubles match at a Tier II?Vera Zvonareva was playing, so I have to represent :)

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Now you might as well stay up all night.

eddy
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Vera Zvonareva was playing, so I have to represent :)
Yes, but would Bepa Zvonareva stay up until 4am for you? :p

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:05 PM
I have classes now. I can see eddy is out of control.

eddy
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:06 PM
I have classes now. I can see eddy is out of control.
I have work in about an hour. I unfortunately have to leave, and my rampage will end. :sad:

Epigone
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Now you might as well stay up all night.Nah, I have to be up in 4 1/2 hrs to get back to RR, then it's off to university.

"Fan" isn't just a three-letter word :)

Epigone
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Yes, but would Bepa Zvonareva stay up until 4am for you? :pNo :sad:

Bepa doesn't use the computer in the middle of the night. She has important stuff to do during the day. I hope she has good sleeping patterns and wakes up every morning ready to improve on what she did the day before.

Epigone
Oct 5th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Tuesday Schedule

Centre Court (from 13.00hrs)
1. Zvonareva vs. Likhovtseva
2. Osterloh vs. Hantuchova
3. Pierce vs. Suarez
4. Zuluaga vs. Weingartner
5. Maleeva vs. Dechy

The organisers put this match on at a nicer time for me :)

pav
Oct 5th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Yesterday was alright for Me, just had to get up a bit early, but this one is a midnight start, can't miss it though, even if I can't get any sense out of the scoreboard! hope Bepa gets through this one

Daniel
Oct 5th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Good luck !!! :bounce: :worship:

Epigone
Oct 5th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Vera is imploding out there; blowing BPs and serving too many DFs :(

Epigone
Oct 5th, 2004, 01:29 PM
3 DFs at 3-6 *3-5 :(

Vera, please consult Irina BOVINA for advice on how to serve. Thanks.

saab95
Oct 5th, 2004, 01:30 PM
funny women's game
you don't play but have some points
is it tennis? 36 56

Sammm
Oct 5th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Focus Vera!

Epigone
Oct 5th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Vera lost 3-6 5-7

Congratulations to Lena :)

Vera, fix the serve. The End.

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 5th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Vera played terribly :( and still nearly got back in match only to shoot herself in foot again :o
alot of DF's :help:

Emptiness
Oct 5th, 2004, 01:41 PM
13 double faults. :sobbing:

Better luck in Moscow and doubles..

Frank
Oct 5th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Disappointing. :o

I hope she'll get herself on track for Moscow.

Epigone
Oct 5th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Vera is capable of breaking serve, but she has trouble consolidating. If I was Lex Carrington, that's the area I'd focus on (besides the head issues :o ).I think that Vera failed to consolidate every break she had during this match. I mean, she broke to take the 2nd set to 5-5, and then double faulted twice to be broken again :(

Vera has beefed up her first serve. In the past few months, she noticeably has hit it with more pace. I think the lower 1st serve % is worth the risk, because many players were able to attack her 1st serves before. Plus, Bepa is the kind of player that needs to work hard for every point. Free points every now and then are a good thing.Is this strategy a good thing if she tightens up and serves too many DFs? I've brought up her low 1st serve percentage a number of times, and also discussed the ace vs DF trade off.

Should Vera play with a detuned serve until it is more consistent?

Gowza
Oct 5th, 2004, 01:49 PM
woah, i totally didnt expect vera to lose this match. lena has made a few good upsets this year but i thought vera was playing well enough to get through this one in 2 sets. no disrespect to lena, as she is a good player but im quite shocked at the result and scoreline considering vera's form coming into it. well done lena. vera i hope you do better in moscow!

DEETHELICK
Oct 5th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Her serve was effective against Serena in China. But 13 double faults are a lot. Not everyone is an Elena Dementieva who can serve 15 DFs and still win a match.

Vera's biggest problem IMO is the mental side. Knowing what shot to go for and how much to go for her serve. this surface was potentially tricky for Vera as it is very very fast.

Hopefully the doubles will get her going in time for Moscow.

Epigone
Oct 5th, 2004, 02:30 PM
This is Vera's first loss to a lower-ranked opponent since Berlin, and her first 1st round loss of the year.

Most of the other Russians have lost 1st round matches this year, so Vera joins the club. It's much better that it happened here, rather than in Mosocw.

No repeats next week!!! :o

Epigone
Oct 5th, 2004, 02:45 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: It's time for Word of the Day!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Today, I came across the word далекоm which means "far" or "a long way".
This is my Russian word for the day :)

I also came across the word consolidate, which means "to hold your serve after breaking your opponent". This can be Vera's English word for the day :)

Sorry, but I just have to vent a little :o

goldenlox
Oct 5th, 2004, 03:06 PM
I didn't see the match, but I watched Lena L. in Montreal, and she can play a Myskina-style steady baseline game.
And you have to be both consistent and aggressive to beat that game.

Now Vera has to forget it, and prepare for the KC. It's a Tier I, and much more important than Filderstadt.

Verba
Oct 5th, 2004, 04:29 PM
OMG, Verunchik lost...
:sad: :sad: :sad:

Maybe, her KC will be much better.

goldenlox
Oct 5th, 2004, 04:50 PM
I was impressed by Lena in her wins against Capriati and Myskina.
But she lost to Kirilenko in Queens, so I don't know what she'll do.
I still think Vera needs to be focused. And she has been. No bad losses since before RG.
I knew Lena could be very tough. Her style is to run down everything, and use the whole court.
Lena can be a very frustrating opponent.

Vera still has a chance to play in the YEC, and she can't let a loss distract her from her goal - to keep improving her game.

KV
Oct 5th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Pretty sure Bepa will bounce back. One shouldn't forget Lena L. def. Nastya, Jenny, Nadya without taking adv. of off-days from your oppon. Lena L.'s a very dangerous oppon. when she's on fire.

Nastyafan
Oct 5th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Verchik:sad: :sad: and 13DF:fiery: :fiery:
Why do all my favs compete which can make most DF?:confused:

Please, win the doubles with Nastya!:kiss:

pav
Oct 6th, 2004, 12:14 AM
It was always a match that You would have a worrying feeling about, and be relieved if She had won, too many double faults, which is obvious, and apparently not much emotion! very unusual for Vera to lose in Two sets to anyone other than the four or so top Players lately, bit of an empty feeling today, worse for Vera I suppose!

goldenlox
Oct 6th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Vera lost her first match at Filderstadt last year also. Maybe she doesn't like the lighting, or something.
Vera has been consistent for most of this year, but she doesn't have that one big result.
The most points she's earned at one tournament this year is 203 for the semis in San Diego. And she almost made the final.
Vera needs that big win, late in a big tournament, to really breakthrough, and become a long term member of the top 10.

Daniel
Oct 6th, 2004, 04:33 PM
hope she does better in Moscow :)

Epigone
Oct 7th, 2004, 01:13 AM
(WC) Groenefeld/Schruff (GER/GER) d. (4) Myskina/Zvonareva (RUS/RUS) 64 64 :(

I don't think that Vera and Nastya should be playing doubles together right now. I have a feeling that Nastya might not be as committed to doubles as Vera, so Vera should look for a different Russian partner.

Frank
Oct 7th, 2004, 09:12 AM
I agree. If you want to achieve something in doubles you need a partner who's kind of a doubles specialist. It's the same with Maria S. It just doesn't really work when your partner isn't really a dedicated doubles player.

goldenlox
Oct 7th, 2004, 03:43 PM
So Vera is out of Filderstadt. It gives her a few days extra in Moscow.
Maybe Vera should play a weak Tier IV like Maria did, and be the star of the tournament that week.
It could be a fun change of pace for Vera, and get her re-energized.

rus_queen
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:06 PM
So Vera is out of Filderstadt. It gives her a few days extra in Moscow.
Maybe Vera should play a weak Tier IV like Maria did, and be the star of the tournament that week.
It could be a fun change of pace for Vera, and get her re-energized.
Vera already did that in Bol, last year. It didn't really help matters.

goldenlox
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Vera already did that in Bol, last year. It didn't really help matters.
There are certain tournaments, like Seoul, that are starving for a high level player.
I think Vera should spend the week as the star of the event. It's a change of pace.

rus_queen
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:16 PM
No offense, but if Vera is the star of the week, the stands are empty so it doesn't matter.

goldenlox
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:18 PM
No offense, but if Vera is the star of the week, the stands are empty so it doesn't matter.
If Vera is treated as the star, who cares about the crowd.
I saw plenty of empty seats at Sharapova's matches in Seoul.

rus_queen
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Sigh... you know better than this, GL.

Masha - Hot jail bait.
Bepa - Relatively cute, but has obvious flaws both physically and socially, which are common to your usual, average, Joe Schlub dork. A large reason why she's a cult internet fave.

goldenlox
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:25 PM
That's bull. It's about having an aggressive agent. Kirilenko doesn't draw crowds.
It's hype, not looks. And Vera is beautiful, prettier than Sharapova.

rus_queen
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:29 PM
That's bull. It's about having an aggressive agent. Kirilenko doesn't draw crowds.
It's hype, not looks. And Vera is beautiful, prettier than Sharapova.
What is Masha hyped for then?

Sweta has always shown more promise than Masha... but why doesn't she get the hype?

And you're delirious if you think most people think Bepa is hotter than Masha.

Epigone
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Sigh... you know better than this, GL.

Masha - Hot jail bait.
Bepa - Relatively cute, but has obvious flaws both physically and socially, which are common to your usual, average, Joe Schlub dork. A large reason why she's a cult internet fave.If Vera was someone who looks like what society accepts as hot (like Leena), then she'd be attracting more interest. That's the way life works.

On the other hand, her cult internet following means that she'll be the target of weirdos :unsure: (quote this while referring to me and die :))

Epigone
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:33 PM
And you're delirious if you think most people think Bepa is hotter than Masha.GL, Masha is viewed as being hotter than Bepa :sad:. People tell me I'm crazy when I suggest otherwise.

goldenlox
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:33 PM
What is Masha hyped for then?

Sweta has always shown more promise than Masha... but why doesn't she get the hype?

It's about having an agent, who takes you to a professional photographer when you're 14&15, and poses you, and takes the right pictures. Then the agent passes them out.
She's hyped for being another AnnaK, same as Hantuchova was hyped.

Epigone
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Leena has been banned again :rolleyes:

I think that Cincinnati would have been good for Vera had Lindsay not accepted the WC. She would have been the star of the week. The same goes for Acapulco after her title in Memphis, but she withdrew citing injury.

Vera won't get any small tournaments before the end of the year, and I think that next year will be the time that she moves up the rankings, so she'll prefer to play larger events.

goldenlox
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Acapulco was on clay. That was like Nastya in Sopot.
Maybe Vera should try that again in 2005.

Epigone
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:58 PM
The problem is that Acapulco is the same week as the tournament in Doha. Vera will go to Memphis to defend her title the week before that, but Memphis clashes with Antwerp.

That means that she would be choosing two Tier IIIs over two Tier IIs, and if she is playing well, I don't know if that is a good idea. She will want to beat the top players, rather than beat up on players outside the top 50.

When Nastya played Sopot, there was only a Tier IV on the same week, so it was a given where she would play.

goldenlox
Oct 7th, 2004, 05:09 PM
To make a name for herself, Vera needs to breakthrough at a major.
Not win it, ofcourse, that would be great. But a slam semi should raise her profile.

It's these other weeks. Players like Vera and Nadia can come and go at Tier I's and II's, and be underappreciated.
They need to have a week or two where they get star treatment.

Epigone
Oct 7th, 2004, 05:24 PM
To make a name for herself, Vera needs to breakthrough at a major.
Not win it, ofcourse, that would be great. But a slam semi should raise her profile.

It's these other weeks. Players like Vera and Nadia can come and go at Tier I's and II's, and be underappreciated.
They need to have a week or two where they get star treatment.As I was reading the 1st paragraph, I was thinking about Nadia, and then you mentioned her in the 2nd paragraph :D

Nadia has had some big GS wins, but nobody really talks about her. Maybe that's due to her inconsistent play.

Vera, on the other hand, was in the news because of her meltdown against Elena D at the US Open. They say that any publicity is good publicity, but I doubt that in this case :o

I think that Vera should release a clothing line to capitalise on her cult following :cool:

goldenlox
Oct 7th, 2004, 05:30 PM
I think it's good to experience all aspects of your life. Vera doesn't get the media attention that Serena, and a few others get.
But at a smaller event, she can feel what it's like. If I was Vera, I would want to see what that feels like.
Vera doesn't have to live with that every day.
But the players want to be famous as champions. They want people to know their name.
It may give Vera extra motivation.

Epigone
Oct 7th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Vera should play the Gold Coast next year, just like she did this year. Sveta and Nadia will probably be there as well, so she can hang out with them all week in a nice part of Australia. She would be one of the big stars.

The problem is that they only show the final on TV, so I'm not sure how much media exposure Vera would get from an appearance there. On the other hand, I could contact a newspaper and ask them to write a story on the Russians, so that would get Vera's face out there.

This suggestion has nothing to do with the fact that this is my home tournament and I'll get to chat with Vera face to face, and hopefully get some inside info from Lex Carrington :angel:

Frank
Oct 7th, 2004, 06:29 PM
GL, Masha is viewed as being hotter than Bepa :sad:. People tell me I'm crazy when I suggest otherwise.There's no discussion who the majority prefers when it comes to looks. You can argue about who's better looking though. It's different for everybody.

It just won't work marketing Vera using her looks.

goldenlox
Oct 7th, 2004, 06:37 PM
There's no discussion who the majority prefers when it comes to looks. You can argue about who's better looking though. It's different for everybody.

It just won't work marketing Vera using her looks.
Crawl back into your Sharapova hole. This is Vera's thread.

And if Vera was marketed as cheesecake, of course it would work.
Companies want players with aggressive agents. If it was about looks, Kirilenko would have big endorsement deals.

Frank
Oct 7th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Crawl back into your Sharapova hole. This is Vera's thread.

Companies want players with aggressive agents. If it was about looks, Kirilenko would have big endorsement deals.Since when can someone only like one player?

You can market somebody as cheesecake, but the public has to buy it as well. Anyway, I didn't say that to talk bad about Vera or something. It's just a view on this subject.

goldenlox
Oct 7th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Any player who is marketed heavily, will be marketed using her looks. It's how men look at all women athletes.
Now go play with your fellow Masha-bators.

Frank
Oct 7th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Any player who is marketed heavily, will be marketed using her looks. It's how men look at all women athletes.
Now go play with your fellow Masha-bators.I must have said something wrong I guess...Maybe you could say what?

There are heaps of players/athletes who are not marketed using their looks and still have many fans.

Anyway...This doesn't belong here.

Epigone
Oct 8th, 2004, 12:44 AM
Companies want players with aggressive agents. If it was about looks, Kirilenko would have big endorsement deals.Vera could be marketed as cheesecake, and people would want her. I've seen plenty of pics of her looking great, and she could easily pull it off.

However, I'd rather Vera be known for her game and unique personality. As long as freaks aren't fixated on her, I think she should cash in on who she is :)

Gowza
Oct 8th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Now go play with your fellow Masha-bators.
:rolleyes: maybe most men but i certainly dont. at least not with tennis. i dont care how my favs look as long as they win! 'play' 'masha-bators' thats kinda gross lol.

goldenlox
Oct 8th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Vera could be marketed as cheesecake, and people would want her. I've seen plenty of pics of her looking great, and she could easily pull it off.

However, I'd rather Vera be known for her game and unique personality. As long as freaks aren't fixated on her, I think she should cash in on who she is :)I don't know if Vera wants that kind of celebrity or not.
But once the media tells people - "that's the pretty one", people believe it.

I'd like to see Vera win majors. She had chances to go far in the French Open and US Open.
It's the matches were you have the most to gain - that's when you have to play your best.

Epigone
Oct 8th, 2004, 03:57 PM
I don't know if Vera wants that kind of celebrity or not.
But once the media tells people - "that's the pretty one", people believe it.I think Vera wants to be known as a great tennis player. The unfortunate thing is that she isn't making as much money as she could be making. Then again, I don't think Vera is motivated by money. I think she wants to leave the court feeling like she has given her best.

I'd like to see Vera win majors. She had chances to go far in the French Open and US Open.
It's the matches were you have the most to gain - that's when you have to play your best.I thought that she'd be the French Open champion this year, but it wasn't to be. Vera's first major is right around the corner.

goldenlox
Oct 8th, 2004, 04:06 PM
I think all the top players want to be known as great champions.
They work very hard, and it's nice when people respect your work.

Epigone
Oct 8th, 2004, 04:20 PM
I think all the top players want to be known as great champions.
They work very hard, and it's nice when people respect your work.But some players are willing to cash in before they become champions, and the money satisfies them.

I don't think Vera is worried about what others think of her, as long as she is happy with herself. The problem is that she judges herself more harshly than observers judge her.

goldenlox
Oct 8th, 2004, 04:26 PM
I think if the money is there, a player should take it.
I would advise any player to take a big appearance fee. Most of the players don't have agents to make those deals.
If you win a major, the money will be there. If you are near the top 10, the money is fine.

But the players aren't playing for money. They work hard to be the best.

Emptiness
Oct 8th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Vera most definately is not motivated by money and fame or else she'd change her outfit! You'd think having an outfit for so long it would start to stink. :ras:

Or even worst she has multiple copies of it... just imagine opening up her closet and seeing a row of those ugly striped Adidas... :scared:

goldenlox
Oct 9th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Her Moscow draw -

Vera-Dechy
Smashnova-Sprem

Vera lost to Dechy at Indian Wells. Not an easy draw, and probably Nastya in round 3.

Epigone
Oct 9th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Vera most definately is not motivated by money and fame or else she'd change her outfit! You'd think having an outfit for so long it would start to stink. :ras:

Or even worst she has multiple copies of it... just imagine opening up her closet and seeing a row of those ugly striped Adidas... :scared:No, not a discussion about Vera's outfits :crying2:. I've kept myself from talking about them, but they really suck.

adidas only has combinations of white with blue, red, and black, and their designs are boring. I think that she wore one oufit from US Open 03 until the Australian Open 04, then wore that boring outfit (white with black stripes) until Miami, at which point she changed to an outfit with the same design, but with red replacing white, and white replacing black :zzz:. She changed to a new outfit at Eastbourne, and I guess that's the one she is still wearing. adidas need to design some cool clothes because the Russians (Vera, Nadia, Dinara, and Vera D, when she isn't wearing Nike) look boring!

I wish that Vera was a Nike athlete because she'd have so many designs and colours from which to choose. I also think that Vera would be lightning fast around the court if she wore Nike kicks. Maybe next contract...

goldenlox
Oct 9th, 2004, 04:29 PM
I think Vera should wear what Meghann and Sprem wear, the sleeveless yellow.
And I don't like Adidas either. Vera and Nadia are always in the same outfits.
And those outfits are not flattering. Who would buy them?

ComeBackHingis
Oct 9th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Who would buy anything that Serena wears?

goldenlox
Oct 9th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Serena gives Nike attention with wacky outfits. Adidas has wacky outfits, but they don't get attention, they just look lousy.

ComeBackHingis
Oct 9th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Vera should show some cleavage. She's got an amazing rack for a tennis player.

goldenlox
Oct 9th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Pictures of beautiful Vera in Montreal -

http://www.nickaweb.com/montreal04wta.asp?player=Vera%20Zvonareva

http://www.nickaweb.com/PhotoTennis/Zvonareva6_montreal2004.jpg

http://www.nickaweb.com/PhotoTennis/Zvonareva5_montreal2004.jpg
Vera is very curvy, and I think she is a beautiful woman.

ComeBackHingis
Oct 9th, 2004, 05:14 PM
What's that thing on her leg?

Yes, Vera is very pretty. But, she just doesn't look like a tennis player at all. :p

goldenlox
Oct 9th, 2004, 06:35 PM
I think Vera should get to Nastya. That will be a tough match.
If Vera plays Lindsay in the semis, it will be a great tournament for her.
This is like the second week of a major, without getting days off.

Epigone
Oct 9th, 2004, 07:05 PM
I think that Vera will meet and defeat Nastya. Vera has defeated Nastya in two, and lost in a heartbreaking three setter. Nastya will be spurred on by playing at home, but Moscow is Vera, and Vera is Moscow. I think that Vera will leave every ounce of herself on court (at least, I hope she does), and I think she can challenge for the title. Lindsay would be tough, but I think that the crowd could put Vera right in the match.

pav
Oct 9th, 2004, 07:57 PM
I think that Vera will meet and defeat Nastya. Vera has defeated Nastya in two, and lost in a heartbreaking three setter. Nastya will be spurred on by playing at home, but Moscow is Vera, and Vera is Moscow. I think that Vera will leave every ounce of herself on court (at least, I hope she does), and I think she can challenge for the title. Lindsay would be tough, but I think that the crowd could put Vera right in the match.

I really hope You are right!

Emptiness
Oct 10th, 2004, 03:13 AM
Vera should show some cleavage. She's got an amazing rack for a tennis player.http://img60.exs.cx/img60/6320/iroda.jpg
I wonder how many bruises her face has suffered from those. :eek:

http://xs.to/pics/04100/vera-asa.jpg
What a sweet looking girl.
I hope Vera's next contract is Puma. Haha. Shes needs an outfit that elongates her physique and projects more personality than a doorknob.

Good luck in Moscow. :yeah:

ComeBackHingis
Oct 10th, 2004, 06:08 AM
Iri's are too big though... Vera's are a nice size and round. :drool: Plus, those have to affect Iri's game and hurt her back.

And you shouldn't worry about Vera projecting enough personality. :p

Epigone
Oct 10th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Iri's are too big though... Vera's are a nice size and round. :drool: Plus, those have to affect Iri's game and hurt her back. Lina, please stop drooling over Vera's chest

I don't understand why adidas can't make outfits like those worn by Daniela and Maria. They should try to be creative. Vera's personality should be reflected in the clothes she wears.

pav
Oct 10th, 2004, 10:07 AM
On the subject of the wonderful Vera's appearance,I was having another look at a tape of the F.O. venus defeat match and was amazed, at the difference then and now! The yellow visor didn't help, but the hair was shorter and hung out of the visor like a rattail, now longer and suits Her better, the facial features seem more defined,the waist trimmer, just overall a cute kid then, a very attractive young Woman now,just give Us more of that smile!

goldenlox
Oct 10th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Vera is maturing, and you can see it in her pictures through out the years.
She still has to mature more as a tennis player. She's doing great, but you can always improve.

mandy7
Oct 10th, 2004, 05:45 PM
http://img60.exs.cx/img60/6320/iroda.jpg
I wonder how many bruises her face has suffered from those. :eek:
:lol: I-RACK!! :D

goldenlox
Oct 10th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Vera and Nastya play doubles tomorrow.

Epigone
Oct 11th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Vera and Nastya play doubles against Daniela Hantuchova and Patty Schnyder.

I hope that they actually play well for once. They made the final last year, and I expect them to go one better this year. That means communicating on court, working together as a team, serving well, and not going mental.

Udachi Bepa and Nastya!!!

pav
Oct 11th, 2004, 12:39 AM
Vera and Nastya play doubles against Daniela Hantuchova and Patty Schnyder.

I hope that they actually play well for once. They made the final last year, and I expect them to go one better this year. That means communicating on court, working together as a team, serving well, and not going mental.

Udachi Bepa and Nastya!!!
Asking for those three things is a lot from those two naughty Girls! :)

bunny
Oct 11th, 2004, 12:42 AM
Lina, please stop drooling over Vera's chest

I don't understand why adidas can't make outfits like those worn by Daniela and Maria. They should try to be creative. Vera's personality should be reflected in the clothes she wears.
No.

And Bepa needs to show more skin. She has a very nice tan too, that complements her beautiful hair and eyes.

Epigone
Oct 11th, 2004, 12:53 AM
No.

And Bepa needs to show more skin. She has a very nice tan too, that complements her beautiful hair and eyes.What will that achieve? More sponsorship? She is beautiful when she is covered up, so I don't see the point. Vera is a tennis player, and not an object.

bunny
Oct 11th, 2004, 12:55 AM
Nobody cares about tennis players, they care about objects.

Epigone
Oct 11th, 2004, 01:08 AM
If Vera wore her practice outfit from Montreal, would that satisfy you? :rolleyes:

bunny
Oct 11th, 2004, 01:18 AM
Depends what you mean by "satisfy". :p

Epigone
Oct 11th, 2004, 01:25 AM
Depends what you mean by "satisfy". :p:o Bepa is off limits! Go and have dirty thoughts over some other player!

Vera could be self conscious, but that isn't the point. She shouldn't have to wear revealing clothes to get attention.

bunny
Oct 11th, 2004, 01:27 AM
Bepa should wear revealing clothes because she's proud of her body.

Epigone
Oct 11th, 2004, 01:38 AM
Bepa should wear revealing clothes because she's proud of her body.Bepa has self esteem issues, if you haven't noticed :p. She isn't going to show off like Elena Bovina. I don't know if people wolf-whistling at her would make her happy.

bunny
Oct 11th, 2004, 01:46 AM
I dont know if Bepa has self-esteem issues. She just goes insane on court.

Emptiness
Oct 11th, 2004, 01:51 AM
She hits herself.
What person who truly loves themselves would do that? I don't think she is mentally unsound and also don't think she wants to be a sex object, like some of the other girls. :o

pav
Oct 11th, 2004, 08:43 AM
I don't know what type of person does that. Tell me. :p

A Person who sets very high standards and expectations of Herself, sometimes perhaps a little too high and ridged which leads to Her getting upset with Herself and awarding Herself a beating now and then. One thing with Vera I have never heard Her blame anyone else for a defeat, and She has sometimes stated without any prompting that She was lucky to have won on the day. Unlike a certain #1 player in the world I heard on Eurosport news stating something like 'even when I was 3-0 down I knew with My power I would win', easy to say that afterwards!

mandy7
Oct 11th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Bepa has self esteem issues, if you haven't noticed :p. She isn't going to show off like Elena Bovina. I don't know if people wolf-whistling at her would make her happy.
show off like bovina? :scratch:

she doesn't show off! :fiery:

Epigone
Oct 11th, 2004, 10:44 AM
show off like bovina? :scratch:

she doesn't show off! :fiery: Leena knows what I'm talking about, so MYOB.

This thread is for discussing Vera ZVONAREVA (RUS), so take your off-topic talk back to the Cocktail Party

mandy7
Oct 11th, 2004, 11:34 AM
dude, what's up your ass?

i was just saying i don't think lena shows off
and i'm glad that vera doesn't walk around like a slut either

go write some stupid rhymez or something you talentless wanker! :p

Epigone
Oct 11th, 2004, 12:02 PM
dude, what's up your ass?We don't use :fiery: when replying to others in this thread. That was my problem :)

i was just saying i don't think lena shows off
and i'm glad that vera doesn't walk around like a slut eitherLeena and I were discussing this picture in terms of what Vera wears, okay? I think that Leena know a little more about Lena than you do, and she was the one who says that Lena shows off. End of story.

mandy7
Oct 11th, 2004, 12:05 PM
We don't use :fiery: when replying to others in this thread. That was my problem :)

you could have said that too you know
instead of telling me to mind my own business
and saying i'm off topic
go b*tch at the guy who wants vera to show more skin
he's the perv

Leena and I were discussing this picture in terms of what Vera wears, okay? I think that Leena know a little more about Lena than you do, and she was the one who says that Lena shows off. End of story.
it's hot, she's on a training court
i've seen girls who wear less :rolleyes:
and i don't care that she knows more about lena
i know what i see, and she doesn't show off

Gowza
Oct 11th, 2004, 12:08 PM
i know this is a vera thread and we are talking about elena now but in regards to elena, she is quite a pretty girl but thats besides the point. a lot of girls wear that sort of attire on training courts, guys train shirtless so whats wrong with girls training like elena is in that pic? not sure whether she is doing it to show off or not but at least her tan lines will be in a better place, brown arms and a white mid section/shoulders etc looks kind of weird.

anyway, GO VERA ZVONAREVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Epigone
Oct 11th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Hahaha, there's nothing wrong with what Lena is wearing in that pic. There are pictures of Vera wearing similar clothes. What I said was in response to something that Leena said to me on MSN about Lena showing off her body.

BTW, the "guy" wanting Vera to show more skin is Leena.

mandy7
Oct 11th, 2004, 12:46 PM
haha, alright then, my bad :lol:

still, lena looks great in that pic, can't see vera pulling it off
she's too short ;)

Epigone
Oct 11th, 2004, 01:38 PM
haha, alright then, my bad :lol:

still, lena looks great in that pic, can't see vera pulling it off
she's too short ;) No problemo :hug:

Here (http://membres.lycos.fr/isabellea24/montreal04/zvo-montreal04-1.jpg) is a pic of Vera trying to pull off that look. You be the judge :)

mandy7
Oct 11th, 2004, 01:40 PM
she looks good, but she's still too short ;)

Epigone
Oct 11th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Vera/Nastya def. Hantuchova/Schnyder 7-5 6-3

They trailed *1-4 in the 1st set, but fought back well

Vera looked so happy :D :hug:

Epigone
Oct 11th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Look at this (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=4306448&postcount=1)#6 Vera Zvonareva will be up against Nathalie Dechy in a contest involving two players without big weapons but both very steady.:rolleyes:

Vera's backhand is a big weapon, and when she decides to wind up her forehand, that is also a big weapon. Do writers even watch the players on whom they are commenting?

Frank
Oct 11th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Great job by Vera and Nastya...:yeah:

Epigone
Oct 11th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Tuesday schedule

Centre Court (from 11.00hrs)
1. Zvonareva vs. Dechy
2. ATP: Rosset vs. Youzhny (NB 13.00hrs)
3. Schnyder vs. Dementieva (NB 15.00hrs)
4. Bovina vs. Hantuchova

I hope that the live feed is less choppy than it was today. The picture kept freezing on me :(. I want to see Vera's strokes in all of their free-flowing glory :D

cool_olga
Oct 11th, 2004, 07:12 PM
It was nice match, but suprisingly only Nastya hit her raquet few times, Vera was calm but she played well. Few pretty smiles from both during this.

KV
Oct 11th, 2004, 07:13 PM
In front of her homecrowd Vera's a good chance to win in straight sets. She's never put a foot wrong in the Kremlin Cup. This is her fav. tournament as well, good luck Bepa do what you have to do qualify for the next round

beauty_is_pink
Oct 11th, 2004, 07:21 PM
good luck Vera!

pav
Oct 11th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Look at this (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=4306448&postcount=1):rolleyes:

Vera's backhand is a big weapon, and when she decides to wind up her forehand, that is also a big weapon. Do writers even watch the players on whom they are commenting?
I just read the 'no big weapons ' bit, that is written quite often about Vera and it always pisses Me off! I tell You what, I'd hate Her to whack My arse with a raquet! on second thou...