PDA

View Full Version : Vera Zvonareva rise to the top thread !!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

Epigone
Sep 3rd, 2004, 08:51 AM
Court 10 11.00 AM Start

2. Women's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Fabiola Zuluaga (COL)[23] vs. Vera Zvonareva (RUS)[10]

Court 10?!?! :rolleyes:Vera never gets any respect, but she'll show them that she is more than deserving of it when she tears through this field to win her first GS title.

goldenlox
Sep 3rd, 2004, 02:27 PM
The court doesn't matter. Just keep winning, and she will be on Ashe in a few days.

vaiva
Sep 3rd, 2004, 07:57 PM
Vera Zvonareva (RUS)[10] 0def. Fabiola Zuluaga (COL)[23] 6-4 7-5

A mighty VerunChick vs Lena D showdown!

monicAnna2
Sep 3rd, 2004, 07:59 PM
Vera never gets any respect, but she'll show them that she is more than deserving of it when she tears through this field to win her first GS title.
LOLZERS!!!

vaiva
Sep 3rd, 2004, 08:13 PM
Heh, the admins have been very efficient lately. No breathing space for Leena :lol:

no1mariafan
Sep 3rd, 2004, 09:31 PM
Well Done Vera! Carry on going through the rounds unnoticed.

KV
Sep 3rd, 2004, 09:42 PM
Vera performed better than last year at the US-Open. Most important she reached the 4th round. She did well to def. Zuluaga only scoreline should have been easier. :D

bubble
Sep 4th, 2004, 02:15 AM
I think Vera has definitely improved her mental game and serve... It will really be a tough match for both...

I'm happy if either wins but this time more so for Elena coz Vera is still young :)

Daniel
Sep 4th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Congrats Vera!!! :kiss:

t_fan
Sep 4th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Vera, as LenaD also, usually has two opponents on court, one of them being herself (as one of commentators put it).
So there will be a doubles match! :) That's exciting!

Epigone
Sep 4th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Vera :clap2:

Although I really like Lena D, I think that Vera will school her in the 4th round.

Vera hit 40 winners against Zuluaga, and had 10 aces (although 43% of 1st serves in is :o ). If Vera holds serve, she will move into the QF.

KV
Sep 4th, 2004, 01:09 PM
It's fine with me whoever wins. Vera did once again her homework, did well to reach the last 16.

Daniel
Sep 5th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Good luck!!!! :worship: :yeah:

vaiva
Sep 5th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Vera is collapsing. Awful shot selection in the second set :help:

no1mariafan
Sep 5th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Bad Luck Vera! Too many UEs to be able to win the game. When the pressure was off her when dementieva served for the set, all her shots were going in but when the pressure was put back on, she couldnt cope.

Verba
Sep 5th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Seems like Vera had a lot of unforced errors in this match. She is still not mentally strong ...I'm happy for lena D but very soory for Vera...But Vera is still very young. She'll have a lot of other chances at GS.

cool_olga
Sep 5th, 2004, 10:07 PM
I don't understand how could she loose it. So easy first set, she lost her focus I think. And second set Lena played really well, still Vera could gave rebreak in second she had much time, was unlucky in few situations. Very pity.

veryborednow
Sep 5th, 2004, 10:37 PM
I don't think I've ever seen her lose it emotionally so badly ... the commentators said they wanted to sit in her postmatch interview to see if there was something going on off-court to provoke such extreme reactions. I didn't think it was that worse than usual. Maybe just that she felt she should be winning.

She played really well in mixed doubles, I think it helped that B Bryan is so upbeat ;) But she did run into the camera :o

cool_olga
Sep 5th, 2004, 10:43 PM
In post match interviews she is asked about those reactions. But she will always say that's just her and off court she is normal.

Bob won mixed last year i hope he repeates this year and we know what that means :p

Gowza
Sep 5th, 2004, 11:02 PM
i thought vera would win this because she has had some really tough matches against top players this hardcourt season and has been pushing the top players. atm most matches she plays against the top 10 she loses in the 3rd set so she is in the matches, maybe its mental, but her emotions do effect her play im sure, if they are as extreme as crying i dont see how they couldnt effect her on court. 4th round is not bad though, hopefully the QFs will start coming consistenly soon.

Daniel
Sep 6th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Vera :sad:

veryborednow
Sep 6th, 2004, 10:55 AM
cool_olga, you're absolutely right. But it was very clear that the male commentator had never seen vera play before. He embarrassed himself by making it so obvious. Sky's commentators are rubbish.

E. DEMENTIEVA/V. Zvonareva

1-6, 6-4, 6-3

An interview with:

VERA ZVONAREVA

(Transcribed from tape recording)

THE MODERATOR: Questions.

Q. You were very emotional.

VERA ZVONAREVA: You wouldn't see any fourth round matches of a Grand Slam not emotional. So I think everybody have emotions and everybody try their best.

Q. Why did you get so emotional early in the second set when you had already won the first set and were playing well?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I don't know. It's just a game. Sometime it happens. When you can control it, you play better. Maybe next time I'll be better and win the match.

Q. Is it the frustration and anger as much as anything?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I don't think, you know, I showed my best tennis today. Maybe it's more frustration, that's why. Because she is a Top 10, so you should play your best to beat her.

Q. On your way to winning 6-1, you were already getting a bit frustrated. Were you just frustrated with yourself?

VERA ZVONAREVA: No. Maybe it's just -- you know, Elena was helping me a lot. She had a lot of unforced errors in the first set. But I still knew I wasn't playing my best in the first set, so maybe that's why I wasn't that comfortable on the court.

Q. What has Julia done to try to calm you down?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, you know, when I'm comfortable with my tennis, when I know what I'm doing on the court, and when I play for every ball, then I don't get like this. But today I can say everything was working for me, so maybe that's why.

Q. Were you always emotional, even when you started out as a kid?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah, I think so. It's a game, and you should be in the game. You can't just go on court and don't care about what's going on.

Q. Do you think it works in your favor also, that because you put so much emotion in the game, that's what's gotten you this far?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah, I think so. You know, all players are different, but I can't just walk on court and, you know, like I'm not playing. You know, it's like gambling.

Q. There was one changeover where you were kind of going through emotions, looking up in the box. Did you feel like everything was falling apart? Did you feel like things were about to head south for you?

VERA ZVONAREVA: No, I just, you know, try and just -- this changeover, I was just -- you know, I was like trying to get advice from my coach because I just showed that I had like mistakes from this position and that position, just what should I do.

Q. Are you emotional? Do you cry at movies usually? Are you the kind of person where your emotions come out?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I don't know. I can't tell you about myself. I mean, you watch me playing (laughter).

Q. You were wearing a black ribbon. Did that factor into anything?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I was wearing because of the thing happen in Russia, the kids.

Q. Did that have any effect on your play today?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, of course, everyone upset about this. But it's really tough to answer if it has something with my game.

Q. Did you know anybody close to there?

VERA ZVONAREVA: No. But, you know, lots of thing happen in Russia for the past two weeks. Of course, it's tough for all Russians.

Q. Did Elena talk to you at all afterward, after you got out of sight?

VERA ZVONAREVA: No, not yet. I haven't seen her yet.

Q. How much do you think comes from anger? Some of us saw you become pretty explosive. You hit a ball into the stands, stomped about a little.

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, I think I was pretty calm actually in La Costa. But, you know, when you have tiebreaks 14-14, it's really tough to be like to stay calm. I think we both, me and Myskina, we had lots of emotions in that match.

Q. Is it harder for you to play another Russian? Is it more emotional for you to play another Russian?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Maybe sometimes it is, especially when we were growing up. But I think it's just tough to play against everyone right now.

Q. As well as you played this summer, why in the second set didn't you have confidence that you could turn your game around, things would come for you later in the match?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, you know, I wasn't thinking about, "Oh, we're going to have third set," what's going to be the score. I was just trying to do what I needed to do in this match. But sometimes I had lots of unforced errors. It wasn't working for me this day.

bubble
Sep 7th, 2004, 01:08 AM
Despite the loss. I think Vera has really improved her game since the last time I saw her play. Hard hitting forehand and backhand and a good serve which may break down when she is nervous.

She is only still 19 and learning. I'm sure for next year, she will be among the leading contenders in the Grand Slams.
Keep improving Vera :)

goldenlox
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Happy 20th Vera! Enjoy each win. Learn from each loss. Then put it all in your past.

Your goal should always be to improve, and win the next match you play.

KV
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Happy Birthday Bepa :D Since the HC season she took the next step, she proves she can to more than now and then playing 3 setters against the top players. Due to the excellent defensive display by Elena, she lost no more no less. Bepa made improvement from last year. :)

Frank
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Happy birthday! :D

:aparty::bdaycake:

goldenlox
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:28 PM
I was surprised Vera lost to Elena. Vera has a big game. She has to learn how to construct points.
I love Vera, and I enjoy following her career. I know it's a bumpy ride, but I can't wait to see her play again.

goldenlox
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Vera is still in mixed. She and Bob Bryan play a SF against Stubbs/Nestor.

Frank
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:10 PM
I was surprised Vera lost to Elena. Vera has a big game. She has to learn how to construct points.
I love Vera, and I enjoy following her career. I know it's a bumpy ride, but I can't wait to see her play again. A bumpy ride...You could say that again...It's really a pity she doesn't have a strong mentality...

I like Vera as well...I was probably a fan of her before I even knew Maria S. existed...

But being a fan of her, certainly ain't easy...:)

goldenlox
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:14 PM
It is easy to be a fan. Very easy.
It's hard work to be a player. They have fulltime jobs since they were 10.
Vera is doing very well. But she can still improve a lot. She has to get steadier. Play a little safer on some shots.
But this summer was good for her. Vera is moving forward.

Frank
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Haha! I know...Being a fan is easy...Just watch some matches and make sure your blood pressure doesn't get too high...:)

Vera just tends to make that last thing rather difficult...:p

She had a good summer...I just hope she'll handle this loss well...That she doesn't carry this with her for too long...She was so emtional...And she won the first set so easily...It might have hurt her confidence...

Epigone
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:57 AM
I'm finally back in Australia, so now I can once again make following Vera my fulltime occupation :D

I just read this in a report of Vera's loss to Lena:
http://www.tennis-x.com/story/2004-09-06/d.php
The emotional Zvonareva broke into tears and abused her racquet throughout her three-set loss, and after the match had a complete meltdown in the stadium tunnel, sitting on the floor crying into a towel and slamming her racquet repeatedly against the floor.Vera needs help :sad: :hug:

veryborednow
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:07 AM
She did recover well for her mixed doubles which wasn't long after that match, though :) (looking for positives)

I always wondered, would they wait until after the doubles to do the singles post-match interview?

goldenlox
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:38 PM
That's the way Vera is. I cry a lot also. And that was a big match.
But it's a learning experience. Everyone wants to win. It's not easy.
Vera will win big matches in the future.

Epigone
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:16 PM
That's the way Vera is. I cry a lot also. And that was a big match.
But it's a learning experience. Everyone wants to win. It's not easy.
Vera will win big matches in the future.I also have no doubt that Vera will win big matches in the future, but she has to build on a solid foundation starting now. It sounds like this meltdown may have even surpassed New Haven 2003 to become the new benchmark for how badly Vera can lose the plot.

Lena realised that if he stuck around for long enough, the floodgates would open and Vera's focus would shift from hitting winners with pinpoint accuracy to the complete destruction of her racquet. Once people work out how to get Vera to this point, she will have a much harder time winning matches.

Vera was a real fighter in juniors, but now she fluctuates between battling for every point, and losing games/sets/matches because she isn't focusing. To prove my point even further, I think that Vera and Bob Bryan will take the mixed doubles title, with Vera playing excellent tennis at crucial points in the match.

The result will have everyone :scratch: :shrug: about the way Vera handles her emotions on court.

goldenlox
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:22 PM
I watched Vera so closely this summer. She gets emotional after almost every point.
That's the way she is.
But she only lost to Lindsay, Serena, Amelie, Anastasia, and now Elena.
Vera is getting there. And when she does finally get there, I'll cry along with her.

Epigone
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:32 PM
I watched Vera so closely this summer. She gets emotional after almost every point.
That's the way she is.
But she only lost to Lindsay, Serena, Amelie, Anastasia, and now Elena.
Vera is getting there. And when she does finally get there, I'll cry along with her.That's true, but had Vera been able to focus on the task at hand against Lena D, there's a very good chance that she would have taken the match in two, and moved into the QF.

There's no point in playing great tennis to take the first set 6-1, if you are then going to turn around and unleash wild UEs in the second and third sets because you aren't focusing.

I know that Vera will win big titles eventually, but she is going through a lot of unnecessary emotional heartache on her journey to the top. If she stops taking things so seriously, she will enjoy life more, and it will have a positive effect on her results.

goldenlox
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:37 PM
I listened to what Luke Jensen said in Cincinnati. He thinks Vera needs to play with a greater margin for error.
He thinks Vera goes for winners too often.
Vera changed her style of play this summer. She's much more aggressive. It takes time to put everything together.
I didn't see Vera-Lena. I thought Vera would win. She's losing to older players.

Epigone
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Vera and Bob Bryan should be out playing their SF mixed doubles match on Armstrong at the moment, but play has been suspended due to rain.

Bob and his brother bowed out of men's doubles in the third round, and Vera went out in the 4th round, so they both have an opportunity to show that their trips to New York weren't a waste of time.

Удачи Вера!!!

Don't let yourself or your teammate down!!!

goldenlox
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:43 PM
It's not raining, but it's very humid, with some very light drops falling. If it was clay, they would play through this.
This should get Vera to play mixed at every major.
Bovina won the AO mixed. It's a fun way to win a title at a major.

goldenlox
Sep 9th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Vera had a great opportunity in NYC.
She also had a great opportunity at RG when she had Sharapova, Weingartner, Suarez, and Dementieva to make the FO final.

It's hard to win these big matches. Vera will learn to bring her best tennis on the biggest days.

Epigone
Sep 9th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Vera has had countless great opportunities this year, but she really hasn't been able to convert. Sometimes she has been defeated by her opponent, and sometimes she has been defeated by herself. In the match against Lena D, Vera defeated herself, and Lena was able to capitalise and win.

Vera said that it's emotional playing in the 4th round of a GS, but 16 players play in the 4th round, and I'm pretty sure that Vera was the only one to break down and cry in disappointment after taking the first set 6-1.

To me, it's not a question of Vera bringing her best tennis, but a question of her bringing the right frame of mind to the court, and maintaining a level head throughout the match. Mental toughness is an important aspect of tennis, and you never know when Vera will be able to forget her mistakes and get on with the match, or try to break her foot by smacking it with her racquet.

Vera is a paradox. I think of Vera both as a gritty, determined fighter, and as a player who will cry for seemingly no reason, thus giving the match to her opponent.

From her postmatch interview:
Q. Why did you get so emotional early in the second set when you had already won the first set and were playing well?
VERA ZVONAREVA: I don't know. It's just a game. Sometime it happens. When you can control it, you play better. Maybe next time I'll be better and win the match. That is the crux of the matter. Vera has to find a way to supress these emotional outbursts, and she will take matches like this in two sets. If she has to go and destroy something after the match to vent her emotions, that's fine, but I don't want her to meltdown during matches.

goldenlox
Sep 9th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Vera played very well this summer against Serena, Anastasia, and Maria. She has the game to contend at the majors.
Sometimes a player needs experience, to repeat a situation, before they can handle things well.

Vera is getting there. She's top 10, and she's moving forward.
I'm much more optimistic than I was in May.

Epigone
Sep 9th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Sometimes a player needs experience, to repeat a situation, before they can handle things well.Vera has played in 11 GS singles tournaments, and she's advanced to the 4th round or beyond 6 times. I think that she has enough experience to prevent the type of situtation that occurred against Lena D.

Anna Chakvetadze didn't lose focus when leading in the second set against Nastya. Vera should have kept her focus and closed out this match in two sets.

goldenlox
Sep 9th, 2004, 04:57 PM
This was Sveta's first good result at a major. It came after losing at Wimbledon in round 1.
For Vera, she had a big win over Venus in 2003, at RG. She wasn't ready to take the next step.
No excuses in 2005. Vera should make the QF's in at least 3 majors.
This week, I understand the pressure of closing out Elena D. Vera isn't used to being in that situation. Now she is used to it.

saab95
Sep 9th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Vera Zvonareva (RUS)/Bob Bryan (USA)[4] def. Rennae Stubbs (AUS)/Daniel Nestor (CAN)[1] 7-5 6-3

Cograts Vera. Good partner to win.

As to singles, after USO Vera needs a look who is around her

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2004, 01:01 AM
Vera is into her first GS final after taking out the #1 seeds :woohoo:

I knew that she and Bob Bryan would be an awesome team :yeah:

They will meet the all-Aussie team of Alicia Molik and Todd Woodbridge in the final, after they defeated Navratilova/Paes 4-6 6-3 7-6 (10-3)

As with Fed Cup, I will be supporting Vera over Australian players. Vera can be like Lena Bovina and take a GS mixed doubles title.

After the meltdown in singles, and being disappointed at Nastya's withdrawal from doubles, I want Vera to take away some nice memories from this tournament.

Mathijs
Sep 10th, 2004, 06:59 AM
great result Vera :bounce: :bounce:, and pls win your first GS doubles final now Vera :yeah: cuz you deserve it :worship: :worship:

vaiva
Sep 10th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Good luck in the final, VerunChick!

DEETHELICK
Sep 10th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Good luck Vera, get this doubles title. Wouldn't it be great if the Russinas could take singles, doubles and mixed doubles at this event.

Russian domination!! :D

Best of luck Vera, use this to propel you forward!!

no1mariafan
Sep 10th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Win Win Win! Vera!

Good Luck in the final! Do yourself proud!

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Why is that, of the 11 people interviewed on the US Open website on day 7, Vera was one of the two players to not have a video interview? I really dislike the media's attitude towards Vera. It's almost like she doesn't exist :fiery:

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Here's something interesting that Nadia said in her post-match conference after beating Justine:

Q. When you were thinking by yourself (at the Olympics), what were you thinking and maybe what changed for you?

NADIA PETROVA: Well, the thing is that I like everything perfect, in practice, in the match. I'm very critical on myself. I just gave myself a little bit time, took it a little bit easy. I just knew, you know, I had to keep on doing my things during practice and bring it into the match, and, you know, the success will come. Vera should follow Nadia's example and go away and do some quiet thinking.

Verba
Sep 10th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Verba/Bob- go! Make us proud.

goldenlox
Sep 10th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Vera should follow Nadia's example and go away and do some quiet thinking.
Vera is doing fine. Nadia is a completely different person. Trust me.

Go get that major. You don't win a championship at the US Open every day.

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2004, 06:03 PM
I think that Vera will be really focused for this final. She probably got up, surfed the web, went for a walk, and just did things to relax. I can almost guarantee that she will keep it all together, and work with Bob Bryan to take this title.

goldenlox
Sep 10th, 2004, 06:07 PM
It's always good to win a title at a major. Vera should leave every major with a 6-figure check.

goldenlox
Sep 10th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Vera has a real shot at playing in L.A. this fall. Last year she was an alternate.
She has the game. She needs to get steadier, to never beat herself.
I believe what Luke Jensen said. It's an understanding of when to attack, and when to give yourself a margin for error.

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Vera and Bob broke in the opening game of the final

1-0 :yippee:

Let's go!!!

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2004, 09:13 PM
And they hold for a 2-0 lead :clap2:

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2004, 09:15 PM
*2-1

C'mon hold serve!

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2004, 09:19 PM
They hold to lead 3-1*

Vera, another break here would be really nice. Do your thing! :D

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Double BP chance blown :crying2:

Another BP missed, and then another :o

Molik/Woodbridge held :(

*3-2

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Bepa/Bob hold :yeah:

4-2*

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2004, 09:31 PM
They convert their BP chance this time :woohoo:

*5-2

Serve it out!

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2004, 09:36 PM
They saved one BP, but failed to save the other :banghead:

5-3*

Nice to have a double break cushion :cool:

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Double setpoint against serve, and they convert

Bepa and Bob take the 1st set 6-3 :yippee:

Bepa, one more set like that, and you will be a GS champion!

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Vera/Bob hold to take the early lead :yeah:

1-0*

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Alicia/Todd hold

*1-1

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Vera/Bob hold :D

It was a little scary then. Vera was serving, and they went from 30-0 to 30-30, then from 40-30 to deuce, then they faced three BPs :scared:. I don't like that :o. Keep it simple!

Argh, they blew another gamepoint, but finally held. :worship: to Vera for keeping it together.

2-1*

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Alicia/Todd hold easily

*2-2

Go Bob! Hold serve!

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Vera/Bob hold

3-2*

Now would be a nice time to break! ;)

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Alicia/Todd hold for *3-3

Vera/Bob hold for 4-3*

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Alicia/Todd hold for *4-4

Now, it's vital to hold serve

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Held to love :worship:

5-4*

Break and take your first GS title!

Epigone
Sep 10th, 2004, 10:14 PM
They break and win 6-3 6-4

Bepa is a GS champion!!!

no1mariafan
Sep 10th, 2004, 10:19 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo:

VERA!!!

Frank
Sep 10th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Wow! :D

Congratulations Vera! :woohoo:

What a wonderful US Open this is for Russia...Now with the all Russian singles final...:)

vaiva
Sep 10th, 2004, 10:42 PM
VerunChcick!!! :banana:

Success in singles awaiting!!!!!!

DEETHELICK
Sep 10th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Excellent for Vera. Awesome win and time to take a bit of net play to your singles matches!!!

Wowee!!! :)

Verba
Sep 10th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Happy for Vera! Get some confidence from winning this title and keep going!!!

Verba
Sep 11th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Zvonereva, Bryan Take Mixed Doubles Title
by Erin Gell
Saturday, September 11, 2004

While women's semifinal action packed Arthur Ashe Stadium, a few fans mosied on over to Louis Armstrong Stadium for the mixed doubles final between Bob Bryan/Vera Zvonereva and Alicia Molik/Todd Woodbridge. About 35 loyal doubles fans spread out over the ghostlike stadium. Ballboys were even forced to scale courtside walls and rows of chairs to retreive balls that had flown into the stadium which would normally have been thrown back by fans. But crowd or no crowd, the game was on.

The fourth-seeded team of Russian Zvonereva and American Bryan faced unseeded opponents in the Australian duo of Woodbridge and Molik. Nevertheless, they had blasted through top-ranked pairs in the tournament, including Martina Navratilova/Leander Paes (8), Elena Likhovtseva/Nenad Zimonjic (5) and Lisa Raymond/Mahesh Bhupathi (3). The top-seeded doubles team of Rennae Stubbs and Daniel Nestor was ousted by Zvonereva and Bryan in the semifinals.

The tandem continued to show its stuff by breaking their opponent's serve in the first game of the match. Though the Australians were worthy opponents, Zvonereva and Bryan remained in control of the match throughout the first set, winning 6-3. The two shot speedy balls past Woodbridge and Molik and twisted their bodies to return difficult shots. Molik and Woodbridge stumbled into some easy mistakes right off the bat, sending easy balls long or into the net, and their frustration was evident. After one missed opportunity, Woodbridge walked over and angrily slammed his racket into the net three times. Later, he received a ball abuse warning for sending a frustrated shot into the upper deck of the stadium.

Zvonereva, who has been known for letting her own mental frustations take over her game, often shook her head and put her face in her hands after making an error and had to have her confidence bolstered by her partner. When her head was in the game though, she dominated, often pounding aces past the two Aussies.

The second set was closer and slower than the first, with the two teams demonstrating more rallies and better strategy. Often games went to multiple deuces before being decided, but Zvonereva and Bryan continued to play a cleaner match and made fewer errors to keep them one step ahead.

Both Molik and Zvonereva were ousted earlier this week in the second round of the singles competition. Molik was taken out by Daniela Hantuchova, while Zvonereva fell to eventual finalist Dementieva. Bob Bryan made his own appearance in the men's doubles draw with his brother Mike, falling to the young French team of Benneteau/Mahut.

The court started filling up with fans (fresh from the thrilling Capriati-Dementieva semifinal) just in time to see match point, a winner Bryan sailed by Molik and Woodbridge.

It's the third Grand Slam doubles title for Bryan, who also won the men's French Open title in 2003 with brother Mike and the US Open mixed doubles title last year with Katarina Srebotnik. Zvonereva's previous best doubles finish at a Grand Slam came this year at Roland Garros, where she made it to the fourth round.

Epigone
Sep 11th, 2004, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the article!

About 35 loyal doubles fans spread out over the ghostlike stadium.I would have been there! :)

Zvonereva, who has been known for letting her own mental frustations take over her game, often shook her head and put her face in her hands after making an error and had to have her confidence bolstered by her partner. When her head was in the game though, she dominated, often pounding aces past the two Aussies.Keep that serve firing! :worship:

Both Molik and Zvonereva were ousted earlier this week in the second round of the singles competition.Wrong!

Zvonereva's previous best doubles finish at a Grand Slam came this year at Roland Garros, where she made it to the fourth round.I wonder how far Vera and Nastya could have gone this year? I thought they could do some real damage.

Epigone
Sep 11th, 2004, 12:41 AM
This is what I posted two days ago:
To prove my point even further, I think that Vera and Bob Bryan will take the mixed doubles title, with Vera playing excellent tennis at crucial points in the match.They faced three BPs on Vera's serve at 1-1 in the second set, and Vera kept her nerve. Also, the above article says that Vera dominated when her head was in the game. It looks like my prediction was pretty accurate :cool:

TartarVicario
Sep 11th, 2004, 09:42 AM
:worship: Congrats on your winning Bepa :yeah:

Many more to come :)

VeraNuVirgosFan
Sep 11th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Congratulations to the GS Champion!!

Very well done, Vera!!

Wishing you more success!

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 11th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Vera :yeah: :D
congrats on the mixed title :) :yeah:

goldenlox
Sep 11th, 2004, 02:19 PM
I'm glad Vera won the doubles title, but her game is good enough that she could be playing tonight for the singles championship.
Vera has to learn how to take the next step. It's about not beating yourself, when the pressure is on.

Epigone
Sep 11th, 2004, 03:23 PM
I'm glad Vera won the doubles title, but her game is good enough that she could be playing tonight for the singles championship.
Vera has to learn how to take the next step. It's about not beating yourself, when the pressure is on.She should be playing tonight, but her head got away from her against Lena D.

I think it's more a case ofVera getting to herself, rather tahn the pressure getting to Vera. I have never seen another player (besides maybe Nastya, but not to such an extent) lose it and start screaming at herself during training.

Vera wants everything she does to be perfect. She knows the game she is capable of playing, and when she deviates from her idealised way of playing, she gets angry at herself. I don't think it is a result of being in a pressure-filled situation. Sometimes players are on fire, and other times they aren't. Vera has to learn that she has a chance to redeem her errors on the very next point, instead of treating a UE as though it's the end of the world.

I think it appears like the pressure gets to Vera because these outbursts become more frequent/pronounced in the later rounds. I think this is because she is facing tougher competition, so she feels like she has to lift her game, and when that doesn't happen, she becomes very frustrated. In addition, it's a lot easier to stay in the match against a lower ranked opponent, when dropping serve once during a set in 4th round match could mean losing that set.

goldenlox
Sep 11th, 2004, 03:32 PM
I think Lena is just a better fighter, at this point of their careers.
The FO loss to Sharapova bothered me more.
Vera has to keep working. Her time will come.

Epigone
Sep 11th, 2004, 03:47 PM
I think Lena is just a better fighter, at this point of their careers.It's a little easier to fight back from one set down when your opponent is in tears at 1-1 in the second set. Vera took herself out of the match.

The FO loss to Sharapova bothered me more.Me too. Vera should beat Maria on clay 9 out of 10 times, especially considering her good form leading into the tournament. I know that Vera was sick the day before, and I still wonder if that had anything to do with the loss. The bottom line is that Maria played well and Vera didn't = 3rd round exit.

Vera has to keep working. Her time will come.Vera has time on her side, she will have a GS trophy sitting at home, and she was smiling at the end of a tournament :). I'm happy at the moment, but I know that this young woman is capable of so much more.

Kremlin Cup is next month, and taking the title there would mean more to Vera than taking the US Open. I'm hoping this mixed doubles crown changes the way she sees herself, and then maybe she will try to be less hard on herself. If she gets the meltdowns under control, I think she will keep moving up the rankings.

pav
Sep 11th, 2004, 08:30 PM
This is what I posted two days ago:
They faced three BPs on Vera's serve at 1-1 in the second set, and Vera kept her nerve. Also, the above article says that Vera dominated when her head was in the game. It looks like my prediction was pretty accurate :cool:
Your prediction was accurate!, Great win for Vera/Bob, can't help but think about how it could easily have been a Vera /Sveta final, hpoefully She will develop a little Bob inside Her head to keep telling Her how good She is!

Epigone
Sep 12th, 2004, 02:43 AM
Any idea if the US Open website will post a transcript or, even better, a video of Vera's postmatch interview? They have interviews for the 4 women's SFs and the men's doubles, but no Vera :fiery:. I want to know what she has to say about her win.

Gowza
Sep 12th, 2004, 05:29 AM
myskina has a GS, sharapova has a GS, dementieva has been in 2 GS finals (and having done this in the same year is quite an achievement) and now kuznetsova has a GS in singles. zvonareva is right up there with those players, she has beaten them before and she can match it with them, she does need to control her emotions a bit better, hopefully that will come with age but vera can win a slam if these girls can.

goldenlox
Sep 12th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Vera is in the top 10, but only is the Russian #5.
It's very competitive, and Vera has to embrace the challenges. And keep fighting.

Epigone
Sep 12th, 2004, 05:57 PM
I think that Vera will be out of the top 10 after the US Open, but the important thing is that she made it to #9 with some great play. I am confident that Vera can end the year in the top 10, and set herself up in a good position for 2005.

If Vera keeps up the hard work, she'll succeed. Everything will fall into place, and we'll see a player with a totally different mental attitude take the court next year. I'm confident that she will win a slam in 2005.

goldenlox
Sep 12th, 2004, 06:16 PM
I'm not confident about anyone winning a slam. But Vera should do well each year.
She's only won about $700,000 on court this whole year.
Anastasia, Maria, Sveta, and Lena D. all got checks for a million ( Lena 2 $500,000 checks).
The big money and name recognition comes with playing in the finals of majors. Several of them.

Frank
Sep 12th, 2004, 06:20 PM
I actually am confident about Vera reaching at least the final of a grand slam...I would sooner expect Vera to win her first grand slam than Myskina winning her second...

Epigone
Sep 12th, 2004, 06:20 PM
It would help Vera's bank balance if Nastya would stick around to play doubles with her at the Slams. I love Nastya, but I think it's not fair on Vera that she has pulled out of doubles at Wimbledon and the US Open after losing early in singles.

goldenlox
Sep 12th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Vera's bank balance is fine. To win majors, she has to get through week one, and then peak in week two.
And it takes some luck, so you have to accept that you can't force it. Just try your best.

Gowza
Sep 12th, 2004, 10:48 PM
vera is falling behind the other top russians now. she got to the top 10 this year but other than that she hasnt really matched it with the others, by others i mean myskina, sharapova, kuznetsova, dementieva. all reaching finals of slams, zvonareva didnt even make a QF this year at a slam, i think next she she needs to aim at the QFs of the slams, she can go further but at this point consistent QF performances at the 4 big events are good goals.

Epigone
Sep 13th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Vera is #11 in the Porsche Race to the Championships, and she has also dropped to #11 in the singles rankings.

The lack of quality points and failure to progress past the 4th round at Slams this year has blown Vera's YEC chances.

However, when she takes the Kremlin Cup next month, none of this will matter to her in the least :)

goldenlox
Sep 13th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Vera missed the Olympics, and now the YEC. She needs to peak during the majors.
The second week of the majors is where the big money and points are on the line.
Until she breaks through at a major, Vera will have trouble making the YEC in any year.

Verba
Sep 13th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Until she breaks through at a major, Vera will have trouble making the YEC in any year.
If Vera had LenaD's mental toughness she would have done great things.

I'm happy she won in the mixed doubles. It was some kind of a breakthrough. Now she knows how it feels to win a GS. Maybe, this will help her. And now I seriously start doubt if it's good that she plays doubles with Nastya.

goldenlox
Sep 13th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Vera beat both Sveta and Maria this summer. The last 2 slam winners. She has to finish off a player like Lena or Maria at the majors. Until she does, she won't be considered one of the sport's "elite".

Epigone
Sep 13th, 2004, 10:22 PM
And now I seriously start doubt if it's good that she plays doubles with Nastya.I'm thinking the same thing. I know that they're really good friends, but that doesn't necessarily make a good doubles team.

People were saying that Sveta and Lena L. aren't looking really good together, so maybe Vera could team up with Lena L.? They get on well, Lena is a great doubles player, and she won't be as tired from singles as Nastya.

Epigone
Sep 14th, 2004, 06:12 AM
:wavey: Vera fans, you have to check this out.
http://www.wtatour.com/multimedia/?AssetID=1

Right-click where it says "Download file" on the left side (under Real Media).

It is a two minute long clip that features Vera pretty heavily. It features Vera hitting a massive FH, getting out of a van with some of the other Russian players, and going to the zoo with Sveta. Then it shows an interview with Vera :yippee:

Watch this clip, and pay special attention to Vera smiling at the camera during the interview :)

Verba
Sep 14th, 2004, 07:42 AM
From one article (after the loss at the USO to Lena D):

The tears that trickled down Vera Zvonareva's face at Wimbledon like a slow-running shallow creek were a raging river this time.

Unlike Wimbledon, where she lost, 6-4, 6-4, to Lindsay Davenport, this time the crying began, inexplicably, while she held a 5-1 lead in the opening set of a split-set loss to Elena Dementieva.

And when she fell into her changeover chair at the end of the second set, Zvonareva, who now lives part-time and trains in Delray Beach, Fla., was immersed in a full, uncontrollable sob.

"It's her nature. She's been this way since she was 10," said famed former Russian player Olga Morozova, who now coaches Dementieva.

On a suddenly cooler, overcast Sunday with defending champion Andy Roddick blazing into the round of 16 and Serena Williams and Jennifer Capriati firing into the quarters for yet another showdown with each other, Zvonareva's emotional meltdown in this 1-6, 6-4, 6-3 loss was a reminder that it's not only teen-agers who have fragile psyches in this sport.

"When I'm comfortable with my tennis, when I know what I'm doing on the court, and when I play for every ball, then I don't get like this," said Zvonareva, who turns 20 on Tuesday.

"It's a game and you should be in the game. You can't just go on the court and don't care about what's going on," she added. "All players are different. But I can't just walk on the court like I'm not playing. You know, it's like gambling."

She had broken down in the fourth round at Wimbledon, also, and received some tough criticism from Davenport after the match. "Probably the only thing holding her back is mental," Davenport said. "She does have a temper. I didn't know she was so emotional, but I think she's still young.

"She's fast, she hits the ball well, but it seems she probably has to get over some hump. You can't be crying. Who knows what's going on with her, but it seems like a bizarre time to be that upset."

Epigone
Sep 14th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Unlike Wimbledon, where she lost, 6-4, 6-4, to Lindsay Davenport, this time the crying began, inexplicably, while she held a 5-1 lead in the opening set of a split-set loss to Elena Dementieva.Vera :shrug: :sad:

And when she fell into her changeover chair at the end of the second set, Zvonareva, who now lives part-time and trains in Delray Beach, Fla., was immersed in a full, uncontrollable sob.:hysteric:

"It's her nature. She's been this way since she was 10," said famed former Russian player Olga Morozova, who now coaches Dementieva.:confused: Vera used to be regarded as one of the most mentally tough Russians

"When I'm comfortable with my tennis, when I know what I'm doing on the court, and when I play for every ball, then I don't get like this," said Zvonareva, who turns 20 on Tuesday.She must have felt very comfortable during her first GS final :)

She had broken down in the fourth round at Wimbledon, also, and received some tough criticism from Davenport after the match. "Probably the only thing holding her back is mental," Davenport said. "She does have a temper. I didn't know she was so emotional, but I think she's still young.

"She's fast, she hits the ball well, but it seems she probably has to get over some hump. You can't be crying. Who knows what's going on with her, but it seems like a bizarre time to be that upset."I don't think that's tough criticism from Lindsay. She's basically saying that Vera is very talented, but her emotions are holding her back. I think that's a fair assessment of the situation. Crying while leading is quite bizarre :o

goldenlox
Sep 14th, 2004, 02:56 PM
I'm sure Vera is not satisfied with her year, when 3 other Russians won majors.
But I like what she did this summer. I was very impressed, and I think she can win majors in the upcoming years.

Epigone
Sep 14th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Vera will win majors. It's not a question of if, but a question of when. I honestly thought she could take the French Open this year, but that wasn't to be the case. Her recent form has me optimistic for next year, especially for the Australian hardcourt season. Vera has to learn from her 4th round loss, and build on the success of her GS title.

Verba
Sep 14th, 2004, 03:19 PM
I'm sure Vera is not satisfied with her year, when 3 other Russians won majors.

Part of Sveta's interview after the USO final. A few words about Vera.

Q. Three Grand Slams, three different Russian players. Do you have an answer what the success story is of Russian women's tennis?

SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: You know, all the time they ask me the same question about Russian players. All the time my answer is same: It's competition between us. That's why we growing so fast. You see Myskina winning, you think I liked it so much? I had matchpoint against her. I want to do the same thing. I think I am able to do this, you know.

The same about Sharapova, the same about all of us. Because when now, I spoke to Zvonareva. Now she says, "Now I'm ranked like Top 10, whatever, Top 12, and I feel like nothing," because in Russia she is only 6.

I mean, the thing for us is to be good in Russia, I think. We want to play for our own country, you know. You just feel like this, you know. You want to be No. 1 in Russia, you know, so...

goldenlox
Sep 14th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Vera had food poisoning during the French Open. At Wimbledon, she played a very good player, Davenport. In NY, she played a red hot Dementieva, who beat Mauresmo and Capriati.
You need a lot of game, and a little luck to win a major. Vera has the game. Now she needs some luck.

Verba
Sep 14th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Vera had food poisoning during the French Open. .
What a bad luck!

You need a lot of game, and a little luck to win a major. Vera has the game. Now she needs some luck.
And to beleive in herself.

goldenlox
Sep 14th, 2004, 04:44 PM
I saw Vera play a lot this summer. I'm sure she's as good a player as Sveta is.
Davenport was the only player who played at a higher level this summer. Every other top player was close in their ability.
Vera has to compete better. She should have fought Mauresmo for the whole match.
And she should take out Lena D.
This stuff will come with more experience. Next year, Vera, Nadia, and Elena B. will have their best years yet.

Epigone
Sep 14th, 2004, 10:57 PM
This stuff will come with more experience. Next year, Vera, Nadia, and Elena B. will have their best years yet.I'm convinced that next year will be Vera's year, and that's why I'm not stressing so much.

At the Slams this year, Vera has twice run into an in-form Lindsay, I think she was affected by the food poisioning when playing Sharapova, and she threw away the match against Lena D when she went into meltdown mode. If she improves both the physical and, more importantly, the mental aspect of her game during the off season, and gets a little bit of luck, I can see some tournament titles for Vera next year.

Epigone
Sep 15th, 2004, 03:25 PM
For those who are interested, this is where Vera trains when she's in Moscow:
http://www.cska.ru/index.php?part=120

It's called ЦСКА (Central Sporting Army Club), and Elena Dementieva, Elena Likhovtseva, and Nadia Petrova also train there.

goldenlox
Sep 15th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Her coach is American. He used to coach Spadea. I think Vera spends a lot of time in the U.S.

Verba
Sep 15th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Her coach is American. He used to coach Spadea. I think Vera spends a lot of time in the U.S.
It's often said that she's a part-time Florida resident.

goldenlox
Sep 15th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Vera was living in Maryland, when Julia coached her. I'm not sure where she stays now.

Epigone
Sep 15th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Vera trains in Delray Beach, but I'm not sure if she still lives in Maryland. I think that she used to practise against members of the men's team from the University of Maryland.

goldenlox
Sep 15th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Vera is going to play next week in Beijing. She can do well there. I think Serena is the only player there who is a better player.
I hope she gets to play Maria or Sveta. She beat both of them this summer.

Epigone
Sep 16th, 2004, 04:26 AM
Vera has to make at least the SF. Anything less will be disappointing. I'm quite optimistic that she can take the title. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

veryborednow
Sep 16th, 2004, 11:18 AM
ZVONAREVA LEFT BEHIND IN REVOLUTION

By Mark Staniforth, PA Sport

Svetlana Kuznetsova was crowned Russia's third female Grand Slam champion of the year this week as the nation's enormous tennis potential continued to be realised.

Following Anastasia Myskina and Maria Sharapova, Kutnetsova sailed nervelessly through the US Open and clinched the title by beating yet another compatriot, Elena Dementieva.

With so many of its top young stars ensconced inside the world's top 50 it was inevitable that the legion of young Russian stars would finally arrive.

But one surprising aspect of the revolution in the east is that it is threatening to leave one of its most talented number behind.

Teenager Vera Zvonareva looked like a champion in the making when she stunned Venus Williams in last year's French Open fourth round.

But just as her compatriots have shown steely determination to move on and realise their talents, Zvonareva has greeted her own arrival on the brink of the world's top 10 by increasing her propensity for self-destruction.

Zvonareva - who turned 20 this month - has endured a season which she is unlikely to forget.

The first signs of mental frailty surfaced in the second round of this year's Pilot Pen tournament in Connecticut, when she blew a 6-0 5-1 lead against Anna Pistolesi, collapsing on the baseline in despair at the end.

In the last 16 of this year's Wimbledon, Zvonareva greeted the loss of a service game to Lindsay Davenport by breaking down in tears during the change of ends.

"Who knows what's going on with her, but it seems a bizarre time to get upset," Davenport shrugged afterwards.

"Probably the only thing holding her back is her mentality - you know she does have a temper.

"I didn't know she was so emotional. If she keeps improving she will do well but she probably has to get over some hump."

Zvonareva showed signs at Flushing Meadows this week that she had got her head back together and was gearing up for a true title challenge.

She thumped recent French Open finalist Dementieva 6-1 in the first set of their fourth-round match and looked every inch the champion in the making.

She greeted her achievement by bursting into tears, and proceeded to swing and smash her racket about wildly on her way to a 1-6 6-4 6-3 defeat.

"Everybody has emotions in the fourth round of the US Open," Zvonareva shrugged afterwards.

"I don't think I showed my best tennis. Maybe it's frustration, that's why. She's top 10 so you need to play your best to beat her."

Her opponent had suffered a lapse of her own when humbled by Myskina at Roland Garros.

But she battled back to reach her second final of the year. Zvonareva needs to show the same kind of spirit if she is to save her career before it has really begun.

Epigone
Sep 16th, 2004, 11:30 AM
But she battled back to reach her second final of the year. Zvonareva needs to show the same kind of spirit if she is to save her career before it has really begun.Save her career? :rolleyes: She has plenty of time to fix her head and win big :)

goldenlox
Sep 16th, 2004, 02:50 PM
I saw that article on the internet. Vera is doing fine. It's crazy to say a player who was in the top 10 last week has to "save her career".
Vera needs patience. When the opportunity is there, take advantage of it.

Frank
Sep 16th, 2004, 10:19 PM
I saw that article on the internet. Vera is doing fine. It's crazy to say a player who was in the top 10 last week has to "save her career".
Vera needs patience. When the opportunity is there, take advantage of it. Oh well...At least I didn't see any "Should Vera Zvonareva retire?" threads...;)

goldenlox
Sep 17th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Where are the pics of Vera arriving in Beijing?

Epigone
Sep 17th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Where are the pics of Vera arriving in Beijing?Vera isn't a superstar, so nobody cares about her. I bet she had to catch a bus to the hotel.

goldenlox
Sep 17th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Maybe Vera didn't get there yet. She's one of the highest ranked players in that event.

Epigone
Sep 17th, 2004, 03:57 PM
I have a hunch that Vera is already in Beijing. It would make sense because she would have to adjust to a huge timezone change.

goldenlox
Sep 17th, 2004, 03:58 PM
I did a Google news search for Zvonareva, and there are no mentions of Vera in the last 24 hours.
So she might not be there yet.

Epigone
Sep 17th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Well, I know that she isn't in Russia or Europe, so she must still be in the USA, or somewhere in Asia :confused:

- EDIT - It's possible that she is in Moscow

goldenlox
Sep 17th, 2004, 04:07 PM
I'll check Google every day. Looking for Vera news.

Epigone
Sep 17th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Checking Google every day, even during big tournaments, doesn't always yield news on Vera. Unless she has an emotional outburst, she isn't interesting to the general tennis public.

goldenlox
Sep 17th, 2004, 04:16 PM
You're crazy. A Google search for the last week gives dozens of Vera articles. Vera is newsworthy.

Epigone
Sep 17th, 2004, 04:32 PM
But this isn't an ordinary week. Vera won a GS mixed doubles title and also had one of the most emotional outbursts seen at a grand slam tournament. Generally, there will be very little news written about Vera. She doesn't fit the (a) big tourney winner or (b) generally accepted definition of eye candy profile, and that means that references to her will usually be reduced to one sentence, if they even appear at all.

goldenlox
Sep 17th, 2004, 04:34 PM
She hasn't won a major, but the eye candy stuff is all about having a publicist, not what you look like.
Vera looks great. She did some modeling in California, with Dementieva. I saw it on the Tennis Channel.

Epigone
Sep 17th, 2004, 04:55 PM
You don't have to convince me that Vera looks good. However, the public wants to see people who look like Maria. I doubt that Vera even has a proper publicist. If you go to the SFX website, you'll see that it hasn't been updated since last year.

goldenlox
Sep 17th, 2004, 05:00 PM
The public couldn't care less about Maria. The hype her agent provides is why she was on show courts before she won Wimbledon.
When a 17 year old wins Wimbledon, that's a story.
Vera will have to win a major to get that kind of attention.

Epigone
Sep 17th, 2004, 05:02 PM
I just realised that Vera probably played mixed doubles with Bob Bryan because they are both represented by SFX.

But look at this: http://www.knoxstudio.com/shns/story.cfm?pk=TEN-TOBIAS-07-21-04&cat=AO

Tobias also represents a player whom he calls his "hidden gem" - 13th-ranked Vera Zvonareva, another of THE up-and-coming Russian stars on the Women's Tennis Association tour.I was going to give Tobias massive props for that, but then look what he said:
"I think she could be a top-five player really quick," said Tobias. "She is not quite the marketing potential of (Wimbledon champion Maria) Sharapova, but Vera has never lost to her, and has already beaten her three times this year. I am hoping when Vera matures she will make it." Wrong! Vera lost at RG because of whatever. This is the guy representing Vera, and he isn't clear on her GS results :scratch:. Now, I won't say anything more than that because I don't want to get offside with Vera's people :angel:, but make of it what you will.

goldenlox
Sep 17th, 2004, 05:12 PM
I already put that in this thread. It's old. If Vera wants fame, she has to win a major.
Otherwise, she'll be one of the best players the average sports fan isn't aware of.

If I was Vera's agent, I could make her famous.

Epigone
Sep 17th, 2004, 05:42 PM
I already put that in this thread. It's old.I must have missed it while I was frantically reading Vera's thread in some internet cafe in Eastern Europe :o

If Vera wants fame, she has to win a major.
Otherwise, she'll be one of the best players the average sports fan isn't aware of.And she will do that in Australia :)

If I was Vera's agent, I could make her famous.If I was Vera's agent she would already be famous and would be entrenched in the top 10. I think I would know how to promote her.

Daniel
Sep 17th, 2004, 09:37 PM
I am sure you and Goldenlox will make VEra so famous :) :bounce: :worship: ;)

cool_olga
Sep 18th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Vera is now in Beijing. She's gonna do great here :)

Frank
Sep 18th, 2004, 12:23 PM
http://sports.sohu.com/upload/chinaopeneng/images/cho_03.jpg
Beijing, September 20-27

Main Draw:
Serena Williams (USA) 10
Maria Sharapova (RUS) 9
Vera Zvonareva (RUS) 11
Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) 6
Nadia Petrova (RUS) 13
Maria Vento Kabchi (VEN) 40
Tatiana Panova (RUS) 93
Jelena Dokic (SCG) 39
Gisella Dulko (ARG) 35
Dinara Safina (RUS) 48
Jelena Jankovic (SCG) 36
Flavia Pennetta (ITA) 44
Tina Pisnik (SLO) 55
Kristina Brandi (PUR) 41
Tammy Tanasuagarn (THA) 96
Ana Medina Garrigues (ESP) 46
Nicole Pratt (AUS) 49
Anca Barna (GER) 63
Saori Obata (JPN) 78
Marion Bartoli (FRA) 42
Petra Mandula (HUN) 68
+Qualies etc..

------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1]Serena Williams - BYE
Dinara Safina vs [WC]Yan Zi
[WC]Sun Tian Tian vs Qualifier
Zheng Jie vs [5]Nadia Petrova

[4]Vera Zvonareva - BYE
Kristina Brandi vs Qualifier
Ana Medina-Garrigues vs Saori Obata
Tamarine Tanasugarn vs [8]Jelena Dokic

[7]Jelena Jankovic vs Shinobu Asagoe
Qualifier vs Anca Barna
Tatiana Panova vs Tina Pisnik
[3]Maria Sharapova - BYE

[6]Gisela Dulko vs Aniko Kapros
Maria Vento-Kabchi vs Flavia Pennetta
Nicole Pratt vs Qualifier
[2]Svetlana Kuznetsova - BYE

Verba
Sep 18th, 2004, 01:07 PM
bets of luck to our Verunchik!

Frank
Sep 18th, 2004, 01:12 PM
bets of luck to our Verunchik! I forgot that in my post...:p

Good luck! :)

goldenlox
Sep 18th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Good draw for Vera. One match at a time. Vera hasn't lost to a non top 10 player since before the French Open.
I'm using Serena's protected ranking of 3.

goldenlox
Sep 18th, 2004, 03:51 PM
I just did a google news search. Still no information on Vera arriving in Beijing.
Vera needs to have a publicist hand out press releases, to let the media know when she's getting into town.

Frank
Sep 18th, 2004, 04:54 PM
I just did a google news search. Still no information on Vera arriving in Beijing.
Vera needs to have a publicist hand out press releases, to let the media know when she's getting into town. As long as she won't exaggerate it, that would be great...

Epigone
Sep 18th, 2004, 05:16 PM
I can't imagine photographers waiting at an airport for Vera to arrive, whether or not someone sends out a press release. What can Vera offer the media?

goldenlox
Sep 18th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Depends on how low cut her top is. And how short her skirt is.

Frank
Sep 18th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Media will only come when they smell money...

Frank
Sep 18th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Depends on how low cut her top is. And how short her skirt is. That's what I was trying to say in my post above...:p

goldenlox
Sep 18th, 2004, 05:28 PM
If Vera wears the right outfit, the media will flock to her -

http://www.nickaweb.com/PhotoTennis/Zvonareva6_montreal2004.jpg

http://www.nickaweb.com/PhotoTennis/Zvonareva5_montreal2004.jpg
Udachi Vera!

Frank
Sep 18th, 2004, 05:30 PM
What's up with her left knee? :scratch:

cool_olga
Sep 18th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Is it so important her arrival? Maybe it's better she did in quiet and has time for herself there.

goldenlox
Sep 18th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Vera isn't a superstar, so nobody cares about her. I bet she had to catch a bus to the hotel.He said nobody cares about Vera. That's why I'm looking for stories about her arrival in Beijing.

Epigone
Sep 19th, 2004, 02:30 AM
Photographers were at the airport for Maria's arrival, while a Google search reveals that Vera hasn't been mentioned in the news since September 14th. It seems that Vera doesn't matter to the media unless she is exploding into tears :mad:

China is a huge market, and Vera needs to gain a profile there. Hopefully they will know who she is after she wins the tournament :)

Frank
Sep 19th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Photographers were at the airport for Maria's arrival, while a Google search reveals that Vera hasn't been mentioned in the news since September 14th. It seems that Vera doesn't matter to the media unless she is exploding into tears :mad:

China is a huge market, and Vera needs to gain a profile there. Hopefully they will know who she is after she wins the tournament :) When you win the tournament media can't ignore you anymore...^_^

Daniel
Sep 19th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Good luck in Beijing :D

Verba
Sep 19th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Verunchik, show everyone who deserves media attention!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goldenlox
Sep 19th, 2004, 05:53 PM
If Vera beats Serena, and makes the final, she'll get plenty of attention.
But one match at a time.

Verba
Sep 19th, 2004, 06:02 PM
I beleive in Vera. She'll become a superstar one day!!!!

goldenlox
Sep 19th, 2004, 06:16 PM
[1]Serena Williams - BYE
Dinara Safina vs [WC]Yan Zi
[WC]Sun Tian Tian vs Qualifier
Zheng Jie vs [5]Nadia Petrova

[4]Vera Zvonareva - BYE
Kristina Brandi vs Qualifier
Ana Medina-Garrigues vs Saori Obata
Tamarine Tanasugarn vs [8]Jelena Dokic

[7]Jelena Jankovic vs Shinobu Asagoe
Qualifier vs Anca Barna
Tatiana Panova vs Tina Pisnik
[3]Maria Sharapova - BYE

[6]Gisela Dulko vs Aniko Kapros
Maria Vento-Kabchi vs Flavia Pennetta
Nicole Pratt vs Qualifier
[2]Svetlana Kuznetsova - BYE
Right now, I just want Vera to keep improving. And then win a major in 2005.
Then we lose her to the world of celebrity.

Frank
Sep 19th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Maybe...But that won't necessarily be a bad thing...As long as she keeps her head on her shoulders and doesn't forget about tennis...

Anyway...About Bejing...I think Vera can beat Serena, as long as she manages to control her emotions...

goldenlox
Sep 19th, 2004, 06:26 PM
I want her to play Nadia in the semis. The important thing is for Vera to play well.
And keep moving forward. There are many, many big days in Vera's future. And she has to play her best against the best.

Frank
Sep 19th, 2004, 06:33 PM
A match against Nadia could be possible...Nadia played quite well at the US Open, so maybe she'll manage to beat Serena, if Nadia doesn't manage to cause an upset...

I think in that case she would be able to win the tournament as well...Maria's form isn't good enough at the moment and Sveta might be fatigued...

goldenlox
Sep 19th, 2004, 06:37 PM
I think Serena is the player to beat. But who knows. The players aren't machines.
If Vera plays like she did this summer, she'll be tough for anyone to beat.

Frank
Sep 19th, 2004, 06:41 PM
She played very good this summer...But she didn't have all the luck in the world on the Grand Slams so far...

Anyway...Serena isn't in her best form either...So, I give her a good chance...

Verba
Sep 20th, 2004, 12:49 AM
It seems that it's true that Vera reads her thread in the Russian forum http://sharapova.fastbb.ru/?4-0 and posts there from time to time. I read that some of her fans told her about that forum and asked her to participate in it. I think someone who is going to see Vera soon have to invite Vera to read this forum. It'd be so much pleasure and fun!!!

Epigone
Sep 20th, 2004, 01:27 AM
I have asked Vera to read this forum :)

Verba
Sep 20th, 2004, 02:31 AM
Is she doing this?

Epigone
Sep 20th, 2004, 02:41 AM
Is she doing this?To be honest, I'm not sure. I suspect that she may have visited Russian Roulette, but she usually posts in the forums that she visits.

There is a thead about Vera's posts here: http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=115460

Verba
Sep 20th, 2004, 02:50 AM
Thank you, Epigone :worship:

Epigone
Sep 20th, 2004, 04:42 AM
Right now, I just want Vera to keep improving. And then win a major in 2005.Exactly. I want Vera to keep improving, especially in the way she thinks when she gets frustrated on court. By 2005, she will be ready for an all-out assault on the majors.

Then we lose her to the world of celebrity.I somehow think that Vera would remain grounded, no matter how much success she achieves.

Daniel
Sep 20th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Good luck !!!! :worship:

Epigone
Sep 20th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Pratt/Tanasugran (1) vs. Sequera/Stosur
Medina/Pannetta vs. Grandin/Matic (q)

Yan/Zheng (4) vs. Yidkova/Spears
Dulko/Vento vs. Craybas/Weingahter

Gagliardi/Safina vs. Marrero/Talaja
Asagoe/Fujiwara vs. Sharapova/Zvonareva (3)

Dokic/Jankovic (wc) vs. Peng/Xie (wc)
Hopkins/Lee vs. Li/Sun (2)

Bepa is playing doubles with Maria Sharapova. The one and only time they teamed up together, they made the final in Memphis. Hopefully playing with Masha gives Bepa some publicity.

Mathijs
Sep 20th, 2004, 01:53 PM
thanks Epigone for posting Vera's dubz schedule :yeah: :D

hopefully Vera plays a very good Singles and Doubles tournament!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Verba
Sep 20th, 2004, 01:54 PM
I somehow think that Vera would remain grounded, no matter how much success she achieves.
:yeah:

saab95
Sep 20th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Can anybody explain me word "lachrymose" from Jon Wertheim ? :rolleyes:

"Who says the Americans had a lousy tournament? Bob Bryan teamed with lachrymose Vera Zvonareva to win the mixed doubles title."

Stephieva
Sep 20th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Can anybody explain me word "lachrymose" from Jon Wertheim ? :rolleyes:

"Who says the Americans had a lousy tournament? Bob Bryan teamed with lachrymose Vera Zvonareva to win the mixed doubles title."me thinks it's from the meaning of "sad or tending to cry often and easily"...

veryborednow
Sep 20th, 2004, 02:12 PM
pretty much. "tearful/melancholy"

goldenlox
Sep 20th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Stop harassing Vera. If she wants to read it, she'll read it.
Vera, books are better than message boards. Trust me.

Epigone
Sep 20th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Stop harassing Vera. If she wants to read it, she'll read it. How am I harassing Vera? :confused: She should know that she has lots of fans on this board. Afterall, we did make her a birthday thread, and it would be nice if Vera took a look at it :)

Vera, books are better than message boards. Trust me.Vera knows the value of good books, but she also likes to spend time online. Her favourite author is Bulgakov, so I'm sure she sets aside time to read his books, and those of many other authors.

no1mariafan
Sep 20th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Vera doesnt need all the publicity, it seems she'd rather do without at the time being.

Good Luck Vera in China and Make sure you win doubles with Maria!!

goldenlox
Sep 20th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Bepa is playing doubles with Maria Sharapova. The one and only time they teamed up together, they made the final in Memphis. Hopefully playing with Masha gives Bepa some publicity.
The Tennis Channel is playing the Memphis singles final today.
It's too bad Vera couldn't get Maria in the singles draw. Vera's in the tougher half.

goldenlox
Sep 20th, 2004, 04:37 PM
As far as doubles go, I think Vera knows she needs to have one partner. The way Sveta and Lena L., or Nadia and Meghann played together.
One partner, make sure you're both playing a lot of the same tournaments, then try to make the YEC, and do well at the majors.
Doubles is a great part of this sport. But having a reliable partner is something every top doubles player should have.

cool_olga
Sep 20th, 2004, 05:47 PM
For doubles I guess Vera and Nastya want to play toghether in Moscow.

Epigone
Sep 21st, 2004, 12:39 AM
For doubles I guess Vera and Nastya want to play toghether in Moscow.They made the doubles final as wildcards last year, so I hope they can go one step further this year.

Emptiness
Sep 21st, 2004, 02:53 AM
Yay. I hope both do good in their singles and doubles.

Epigone
Sep 21st, 2004, 03:43 AM
http://www.imagehosting.us/himages/ihnp-15673.jpg

Vera and Maria at practice in Beijing. The guy to Vera's right is her new coach :)

Daniel
Sep 21st, 2004, 07:10 AM
Go Vera :D

Epigone
Sep 21st, 2004, 07:33 AM
Vera and Masha took the 1st set of their doubles match 6-1 :)

Epigone
Sep 21st, 2004, 07:49 AM
Vera's 2nd round opponent will be Emmanuelle Gagliardi, who defeated Kristina Brandi 2-6 6-4 6-3

Udachi Vera! :)

Epigone
Sep 21st, 2004, 09:26 AM
Vera and Maria lost 6-1 3-6 4-6 :sad:

Methinks somebody needs to find a partner who won't DF twice on BP :o

Someone in the scoring thread said that Vera and Masha were hardly talking to each other. Doubles partners need to communicate :(

Frank
Sep 21st, 2004, 09:52 AM
Vera and Maria lost 6-1 3-6 4-6 :sad:

Methinks somebody needs to find a partner who won't DF twice on BP :o

Someone in the scoring thread said that Vera and Masha were hardly talking to each other. Doubles partners need to communicate :( Methinks one does not lose a match on 2 points...;)

But methinks as well Maria's df problem is very annoying...

Good luck for them both in the singles! :)

pav
Sep 21st, 2004, 10:00 AM
Seemed to be a strange match didn't it? naughty Masha did do the double fault a bit going by the comments

Good photo, Vera always manages to look cute, They all have got a few inches on Her,They say size isn't everything!

goldenlox
Sep 21st, 2004, 02:26 PM
http://www.imagehosting.us/himages/ihnp-15673.jpg

Vera and Maria at practice in Beijing. The guy to Vera's right is her new coach :)Finally, a Vera pic from Beijing. Vera is mentioned in some recent newspaper articles. The articles are about the Russians as a group, or the seeds in Beijing.
No specific Vera information.

Epigone
Sep 21st, 2004, 02:49 PM
GL, Vera appears to have done some type of media thing in Beijing. I don't really care if this isn't reported in the Western media. Vera can become a superstar in Asia instead.

Just look at these pictures, and tell me that this girl isn't a sponsor's dream. Her agent should be in China right now trying to get deals for product endorsements. I want Vera to be the most recognisable female tennis player in China.

http://photo.sohu.com/20040919/Img222122848.jpg

http://photo.sohu.com/20040919/Img222122913.jpg

http://photo.sohu.com/20040920/Img222133753.jpg

goldenlox
Sep 21st, 2004, 02:55 PM
I'm glad to see those. If the other players get those little gifts, and other nonsense, Vera should get them too.
Now beat Gags! Udachi!

veryborednow
Sep 21st, 2004, 03:16 PM
Vera was also mentioned on Eurosport News Focus yesterday. Of course most of the attention was on Maria :rolleyes: But at least she was there :)

goldenlox
Sep 21st, 2004, 03:19 PM
These little mentions don't mean anything, unless you follow tennis closely.
Vera's best chance to become well known is to win a major. Or get to a final.

goldenlox
Sep 21st, 2004, 03:28 PM
If Vera is going to allow fans to start an official website, she better be sure she has control over it.
I know I'm only posting here. I'm not going to any player's individual sites.

Epigone
Sep 21st, 2004, 03:45 PM
If Vera is going to allow fans to start an official website, she better be sure she has control over it.
I know I'm only posting here. I'm not going to any player's individual sites.Vera will get to have as much control as she wants. People aren't going to do things without her input.

Vera is a net-savy person, so I'm sure that she has some ideas about how she would like her website to be. The happier she is with the site, the more likely she is to visit and keep her fans updated. That's a winning situation for everyone involved.

goldenlox
Sep 21st, 2004, 03:55 PM
If it's a place for Vera to give updates, then it could be a good idea.
But I enjoy this website, and I'm going to try to improve Russian Roulette.
I stay away from the individual sites.

Epigone
Sep 21st, 2004, 03:57 PM
I know I'm only posting here. I'm not going to any player's individual sites.Why wouldn't you want to go to a player's individual site? :confused:

There you could get news straight from the horse's mouth. Instead of googling for news about Vera's arrival in Beijing, Vera could have a diary entry telling fans about it herself.

goldenlox
Sep 21st, 2004, 04:13 PM
Because here I can get information about all the players. The only advantage in me going to a player's site is if they are doing a diary. Otherwise, it's just more pictures. I know what the players look like.

cool_olga
Sep 21st, 2004, 04:22 PM
It's just you. Other fans loves pictures of their fav player and they want to see every they can. Every person is different and many people don't visit forums because they can't follow them and to find an info on forum if you don't read regularry it's very hard, many come ons and good lucks and opinions. On site in news you have facts, matches, results. It's easier.

goldenlox
Sep 21st, 2004, 04:27 PM
If a fan wants to start a website about a player, that's fine. It happens all the time.
There are thousands of Kournikova sites.

If Vera wants a place to do a diary, or just make comments, I would love for her to do it here.
If one of Russia's best players started to talk to us here in Russian Roulette, I think a lot of other players would do it also.

Epigone
Sep 21st, 2004, 04:29 PM
GL, according to Ola, I am going to be involved with this website, and if everything works out, I'm going to try my hardest to make it the best player website on the internet. I think that RR posters see my dedication to Vera, and there is no way that this site will be anything but a first class effort.

I have an interest in seeing Vera's profile boosted, and as a fan, I'm interested to know what Vera is thinking after matches and what she is doing away from the court. We have a chance to create a nexus between Vera and her fans, and both Vera and her fans will gain from it.

If you have suggestions for what you would like to see on the website, let us know. That way we can have a site that caters to the needs of Vera's fans :)

goldenlox
Sep 21st, 2004, 04:33 PM
I want Vera to make her comments here, because I'd like other players to do that also.
I've seen nothing of interest to me on individual player's sites.
The only thing I would want to see is the player's input. And that should be in Russian Roulette.

cool_olga
Sep 21st, 2004, 04:34 PM
I think it is easier for Vera so have her own site and that she sends message every two weeks or so then go here and post it. And more people will see it there as it will be diary section for it and it'll be easy to find what she says. If i wanted to look for her post here i would have to spend ages and waste my time. Not everybody have so much time to look through RR like you GL.

cool_olga
Sep 21st, 2004, 04:36 PM
The only thing I would want to see is the player's input. And that should be in Russian Roulette.
You're obsessed on Russian Roulette. Not everything can be done here :confused:

goldenlox
Sep 21st, 2004, 04:40 PM
If Vera posted here, I would copy it and start a thread in her forum called Vera's comments.
Then they would all be there, and easy to find.
I would also repost it every day in this thread, so anyone who missed it yesterday or the day before could see it.
And if the players come here to read Russian Roulette, they can see what Vera is saying. So Vera could talk to her fans, and the other players, at the same time.

goldenlox
Sep 21st, 2004, 04:46 PM
I've been thinking about how this website could be better. And what it's missing is input from a player or two.
If Vera would comment here, everyone would come into this thread to read it.

cool_olga
Sep 21st, 2004, 04:50 PM
Isn't it too much work. Definitely easier n one place on her own site. If you would like it to be on RR so much you could also copy from there and post here. If fans have question to Vera we could also ask her if she could answer some.

Epigone
Sep 21st, 2004, 04:54 PM
I've been thinking about how this website could be better. And what it's missing is input from a player or two.
If Vera would comment here, everyone would come into this thread to read it.If Vera posted on a board on her own website, people would go to that board and read it.

And when fans go to Vera's website to read her board, they will see links to adidas and Fischer, since they are Vera's sponsors. If she posts here, those sponsors don't get exposure. Vera shouldn't have to come to us; we should go to her.

I also think it would be more likely for other Russian players to post at Vera's official site than on this board.

goldenlox
Sep 21st, 2004, 04:54 PM
If Vera posted here, she could talk to the fans, and the other players.
Maybe other players would want to give their comments also.
You always need one player with the creativity and uniqueness to start the process.
Vera could do that if she posted here. Think about it, Vera. Your comments mean a lot more than mine.

If Vera posts here, I'll do Adidas and Fischer promotion in Russian Roulette.

cool_olga
Sep 21st, 2004, 05:05 PM
Vera shouldn't have to come to us; we should go to her.

This is it! Well said.

GL Vera can talk to other players every other place.
I'll do Adidas and Fischer promotion in Russian Roulette.
Don't make me laugh.

goldenlox
Sep 21st, 2004, 05:11 PM
Are Adidas and Fischer going to pay Vera for putting links on a Vera website? That's what an official site is for - promotion.
I've seen the message boards at other websites. They are nothing like this one.
Russian Roulette has a cheering thread for every player. There is nothing to read at a player's website.

This site has discussions of every tournament, of every player.

Epigone
Sep 21st, 2004, 05:18 PM
Are Adidas and Fischer going to pay Vera for putting links on a Vera website? That's what an official site is for - promotion.I have no idea. That's for Vera and her people to work out.

I've seen the message boards at other websites. They are nothing like this one.
Russian Roulette has a cheering thread for every player. There is nothing to read at a player's website.GL, I'm not trying to denigrate RR. I just think that it's reasonable to assume that Vera would rather post on her own website than in RR.

cool_olga
Sep 21st, 2004, 05:24 PM
Okay this board has most people but sites are not only for talks.

goldenlox
Sep 21st, 2004, 05:24 PM
I wonder about that. If Vera wants to share some of her thoughts and experiences on the internet, why not here?
That's something for Vera to think about. This site has thousands of members, and probably is read by a lot of people involved in the sport of tennis.

goldenlox
Sep 21st, 2004, 05:28 PM
Also, If Vera posted here, maybe Sveta would post here. Maybe Dinara, Anastasia. Elena.
Who knows.

Epigone
Sep 21st, 2004, 05:31 PM
Vera and Sveta already post at the sharapova.ru boards

goldenlox
Sep 21st, 2004, 05:32 PM
And you believe Sveta posts with a Sveta avatar?

cool_olga
Sep 21st, 2004, 05:32 PM
Ok then ask Vera about posting on RR if you want so much.
Maybe let's end this talk. Vse bydet horosho ;)

goldenlox
Sep 21st, 2004, 05:34 PM
Well, I have classes now anyway. But this was an interesting discussion.
I would love to read the player's opinions and comments. They certainly know much more that I do. And I would love to learn from them.

Epigone
Sep 21st, 2004, 05:35 PM
Ok then ask Vera about posting on RR if you want so much.I asked Vera to read RR, and GL said Vera would read RR if she felt like it :)
Maybe let's end this talk. Vse bydet horosho ;):lol: :worship:

goldenlox
Sep 21st, 2004, 05:36 PM
I asked Vera to read RR, and GL said Vera would read RR if she felt like it :)
:lol: :worship:
What does this mean?

Epigone
Sep 21st, 2004, 05:46 PM
What does this mean?I was referring to this post http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=4197072&postcount=3185 with the :)

The :lol: :worship: was used because I'm impressed with Ola's use of Russian, especially in this context. It means "everything will be good". I'm happy to see her practising before she goes to Russia :yeah:

goldenlox
Sep 21st, 2004, 05:49 PM
That gl said Vera would read it- I didn't know what you were talking about.
Anyway, I'm out the door, beautiful, sunny, warm day.
Vera, if you post your thoughts on the internet, this is the place to do it.

cool_olga
Sep 21st, 2004, 06:14 PM
The :lol: :worship: was used because I'm impressed with Ola's use of Russian, especially in this context. It means "everything will be good". I'm happy to see her practising before she goes to Russia :yeah:
Really...:rolleyes: It's not my quote hehe :p but well it suited here.

Daniel
Sep 22nd, 2004, 07:10 AM
Good luck Vera!!!! :bounce: :bigclap:

Epigone
Sep 22nd, 2004, 09:59 AM
There are lots of pictures of Vera training in Beijing here: http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=134226 :)

Mathijs
Sep 22nd, 2004, 10:08 AM
thanks for posting the link Epigone :wavey: :yeah: :D

goldenlox
Sep 22nd, 2004, 02:10 PM
If Vera wants to share some of her thoughts and experiences on the internet, why not here?
That's something for Vera to think about. This site has thousands of members, and probably is read by a lot of people involved in the sport of tennis.In every generation, someone has to become a leader, a pioneer. Vera, if you start to comment in Russian Roulette, you can change the way players and fans view the synergy of tennis and the internet.

Vera, be that pioneer. Become a welcomed and honored guest of Russian Roulette.

goldenlox
Sep 22nd, 2004, 02:40 PM
Vera starts her autumn campaign against Gagliardi tomorrow.
Vera has not lost to a non-top 10 player since before the French Open.
Keep that streak alive.

t_fan
Sep 22nd, 2004, 04:14 PM
In every generation, someone has to become a leader, a pioneer. Vera, if you start to comment in Russian Roulette, you can change the way players and fans view the synergy of tennis and the internet.

Vera, be that pioneer. Become a welcomed and honored guest of Russian Roulette.uhm, Somehow I think the RR is not an appropriate place to host a blog-like activity. The signal-to-noise ratio will be way too high. Blogging eats time. And what Vera (or any other celebrity for that matter) will get in reward? Feedback? Doubt its usefulness. Respect? Far less than for her tennis. For a celebrity posting in a public forum is comparable to opening a tap in the kitchen and, instead of getting a glass of water, being drowned in sewage.

goldenlox
Sep 22nd, 2004, 04:20 PM
If Vera wants to do a diary, there's no reward. It's because she wants to share her thoughts and experiences with her fans.
I've seen the response to Anna's messages on Kournikova.com, and any message board will have people who criticize.
If Vera wants to communicate with her fans, there is no better place than this.

goldenlox
Sep 22nd, 2004, 04:23 PM
As I've said before, if Vera wants an official site with sponsors, that's one thing.
If she wants to speak to her fans, this is the place.

cool_olga
Sep 22nd, 2004, 05:04 PM
Again this topic came back? We'll see after Moscow what's up with site but I'm pretty sure any player will post here. Nastya even didn't know what's wtaworld not talking about posting something.

Frank
Sep 22nd, 2004, 05:16 PM
I think part of the problem is that when Vera would post here it would attract idiots as well...And that can be moderated of course...But not perfectly...

Epigone
Sep 22nd, 2004, 05:29 PM
I don't want idiots trolling in this thread.

Vera should post somewhere that is well moderated.

veryborednow
Sep 22nd, 2004, 05:33 PM
I would encourage all players to stay away from this site. It's not as if people post keeping players' sensitivity in mind. It's often brutal. I wouldn't want to read those kind of dogmatic beliefs if they were about me.

Epigone
Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:49 AM
Vera won the 1st set against Gagliardi 6-2 :bounce:

mandy7
Sep 23rd, 2004, 06:18 AM
:woohoo:

c'mon vera!!!

Epigone
Sep 23rd, 2004, 06:23 AM
Vera won 6-2 6-3 :yippee:

I got to see some of the match online, and I was fairly happy with Vera's play. It's the 1st time I have seen the new serve, and while I love the power, she is serving too many faults and DFs.

Also, her body language was really poor, despite leading the entire match, but that's nothing new :sad:

Finally, she served for the match and was broken, despite leading 40-0, and having ADV :banghead:. She was up 40-0 when she served for the match the second time, and I was worried when she didn't close out immediately.