PDA

View Full Version : If you don't like my threads, skip this one. It's much like all the others

Volcana
Feb 22nd, 2004, 08:38 PM
Feb 16th WTATOUR.COM rankings

07 2528 MYSKINA, ANASTASIA

-- Has no weapons to hurt those ranked ahead of her.

08 2340 SUGIYAMA, AI

-- With Rubin and Dementieva both nursing injuries, and
-- Petrova coming off one, she has time to get her game together
-- Ed note: Ai won Scottsdale last year. She has to do some
-- winning NOW to hold the top ten.

09 2300 RUBIN, CHANDA

-- Not a good time to be injured. For the next couple months
-- her ranking will be is under extreme pressure.

10 2270 DEMENTIEVA, ELENA

-- See Rubin

11 1967 PETROVA, NADIA

-- If she doesn't get hurt before OZ, probably top ten already

12 1882 ZVONAREVA, VERA

-- Just won Memphis, but she defends almost 500 points before RG.
-- Her chance for the top ten this year may have come and gone.
-- Ed note: But Ai Sugiyama will drop quite a bit.
-- 358 pooints from Scottsdale '03

13 1661 SUAREZ, PAOLA

-- With clay season coming, couldn't be better positioned.

14 1449 DOKIC, JELENA

-- Very quietly, look who's back in town.

17 1351 WILLIAMS, VENUS

-- Well? Dubia. Maybe.

18 1337 MARTINEZ, CONCHITA

-- Weren't you supposed to be washed up two years ago?

24 1117 RAYMOND, LISA

-- Olympic team?

25 1101 SHARAPOVA, MARIA

-- It might finally be time to take Sharapova seriously.
-- I'd find a couple of wins over elite players more convincing.

27 1043 PIERCE, MARY

-- At last. Ad she only has 13 tournaments.
-- Top twenty her she comes

28 1042 KUZNETSOVA, SVETLANA
29 1021 BOVINA, ELENA
31 967 SAFINA, DINARA
34 938 KRASNOROUTSKAYA, LINA

35 934 HANTUCHOVA, DANIELA

-- I will NOT use the f-word

36 932 DANIILIDOU, ELENI

-- Sometimes, if you don't capitalize when you have the chance,
-- you don't get the chance again.

47 737 HARKLEROAD, ASHLEY

-- The hope of the Americans post-Williams? Hope not.

59 574 PRATT, NICOLE

-- Just won a tournament. Will rise.

71 479 SCHETT, BARBARA

-- Finished 1999 ranked #8. Only 27. Has utterly self-destructed.
-- Why isn't she at least top 20?

89 402 STEVENSON, ALEXANDRA

-- In Oct 2002 she was #18. I understand that hitting the ball hard
-- is cathartic (syn: psychotherapeutic), but it isn't smart tennis.

*hingis_forever*
Feb 22nd, 2004, 08:41 PM
I don't hate your threads Volcana! I think they're very insightful! Keep them coming! :bounce:

Fyndh0rnElf
Feb 22nd, 2004, 08:50 PM
89 402 STEVENSON, ALEXANDRA

-- In Oct 2002 she was #18. I understand that hitting the ball hard
-- is cathartic (syn: psychotherapeutic), but it isn't smart tennis.

:haha:

Glenn
Feb 22nd, 2004, 08:51 PM
All biased.
Who says Myskina doesn't have weapons to beat those ranked above her? You? Bleh...

Lady
Feb 22nd, 2004, 08:53 PM
I like most of your threads Volcana! ;)

The title of this one is just LMAO!!

Volcana
Feb 22nd, 2004, 08:53 PM
All biased.
Completely. You are absolutely, totally correct. All opinons expressed in the initial post are mine and mine alone.

- L i n a -
Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:06 PM
12 1882 ZVONAREVA, VERA

-- Her chance for the top ten this year may have come and gone.

Actually, Vera will almost surely be in the Top 10 once Ai's Scottsdale points come off.

Plus, even though she has IW QF to defend coming up... Vera is the huge favorite to win Acapulco, and who says she can't defend her QF's in IW and Charleston? The draws don't look to be very strong.

Sam L
Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:31 PM
Completely. You are absolutely, totally correct. All opinons expressed in the initial post are mine and mine alone.
Do you have to sound like a pompous ass all the time?

azza
Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:34 PM
you didnt put Molik :crying2: :p

moon
Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:34 PM
pot calling the kettle...:tape:

bello
Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:34 AM
Well maybe Pierce and Dokic can make charges to the top 10 if some poasitions look like they will be empty. Their names will just sound more fitting there than the Russians at this stage which look se to take over Rubin :sad: , Dementieva and maybe Sugiyama.

Oh and of course Venus will get there soon enough too.

The Russians have plenty of time.

Volcana
Feb 23rd, 2004, 05:05 AM
Guess so. It's not like I have to work at it.

ys
Feb 23rd, 2004, 05:16 AM
Actually, Vera will almost surely be in the Top 10 once Ai's Scottsdale points come off.

Plus, even though she has IW QF to defend coming up... Vera is the huge favorite to win Acapulco, and who says she can't defend her QF's in IW and Charleston? The draws don't look to be very strong.
Who said that Volcana ever checks with the facts? Vera will be Top 10 soon and will stay Top 10 all year long.

ys
Feb 23rd, 2004, 05:17 AM
All biased.
Who says Myskina doesn't have weapons to beat those ranked above her?
The same ones who've been saying for years that Hingis doesn't have weapons to beat those ranked below her.. :lol:

vogus
Feb 23rd, 2004, 05:31 AM
Volcana ever the master of self-satire.

My only complaint with the thread is that you neglected train your crystal ball on one of the tour's most captivating and potentially upwardly mobile players at the moment (her initials are P.S.).

Suarez is well-positioned but she still has never in her career won a big match - something tells me she's not going to make the jump now either.

With all the talk about Myskina, Sharapova, and to a lesser extent Dementieva, Vera Z has become the most underrated Russian. She is capable of defending those 500 points and much more, through Roland Garros.

Dani H is starting to look right at home in the middle of the pack. (what's the F word?)

Agree that Daniliidou missed the bus to Top 10 stardom, and the next bus might not be coming for a long long time.

Petrova hasn't missed the bus yet, but her bus will be leaving immediately after Roland Garros and she will need to be on it by then.

Agree that what has happened to Barbara Schett since 1999 is only a little bit short of totally bizarre.

Lena Bovina - is she partying too hard with her mixed doubles partners from the ATP? She's been treading Top 30 water for a couple years now.

Rubin and Sugiyama are both 50-50 bets to fall out of the Top 10 in the next 2 months and never return.

Harkleroad (or is that Hackelford?) has utterly failed to impress for almost 11 months now. It's looking like we'll need to look elsewhere for the next Miss USA.

It's not too late for Stevenson to get her act together - and if she ever does, look out.

The coming spring season should tell whether Dokic is going to get back to where she was two years ago.

Rtael
Feb 23rd, 2004, 05:46 AM
My only complaint with the thread is that you neglected train your crystal ball on one of the tour's most captivating and potentially upwardly mobile players at the moment (her initials are P.S.).

Suarez is well-positioned but she still has never in her career won a big match - something tells me she's not going to make the jump now either.

:shrug: There's something to be said for consistency. Something YOUR P.S. obviously doesn't have.

ys
Feb 23rd, 2004, 05:50 AM
Volcana ever the master of self-satire.

Suarez is well-positioned but she still has never in her career won a big match - something tells me she's not going to make the jump now either.But, even marginal improvement of results on her best surface ( which she can now achieve on her higher rankings and higher seedings alone, just by simply defending them ) might eventually make her a Top 10 visitor.

With all the talk about Myskina, Sharapova, and to a lesser extent Dementieva, Vera Z has become the most underrated Russian. She is capable of defending those 500 points and much more, through Roland Garros. IMHO, Myskina and Zvonareva stand apart from Dementieva and , especially, Sharapova, because they have a complete game, with more than one tactical plan, ability to defend and ability to attack, choice of multi-pace shots of both wings and clear liking of outmaneuvering their opponents.

Dani H is starting to look right at home in the middle of the pack. (what's the F word?)I agree. Where she is now is the palce she probably belongs. Top 5 was a nice dream come true, but it is over.

Agree that Daniliidou missed the bus to Top 10 stardom, and the next bus might not be coming for a long long time.Definitely. Apart from exceptional ball-hitters ( such as Davenport or Seles ), current top 10 player has to be quick. Danilidou is slow.

Petrova hasn't missed the bus yet, but her bus will be leaving immediately after Roland Garros and she will need to be on it by then.Agreed. But she may get eventually get in simply replacing Ai and Chanda.

Lena Bovina - is she partying too hard with her mixed doubles partners from the ATP? She's been treading Top 30 water for a couple years now. Mystery. She is expected to get her act together soon.

Rubin and Sugiyama are both 50-50 bets to fall out of the Top 10 in the next 2 months and never return.I think it is almost certain, unless Serena falls out too. Which is not that improbable.

The coming spring season should tell whether Dokic is going to get back to where she was two years ago.She won't get back to where she was , Top 4 that is. But visiting Top 10 is almost certain sooner or later.

vogus
Feb 23rd, 2004, 05:27 PM
Rtael, in the last 7 years, P.S. has finished every year but 2001 inside the Top 25. Maybe she's not consistent from tournament to tournament, but over the long term (which is more important) she is one of the tour's most consistent performers.

Volcana
Feb 25th, 2004, 03:40 AM
I just don't know that much about Paola Suarez as a singles player. Not that that would normally stop me, but I really enjoy watching her play doubles, so in this case, I'd like to avoid saying something stupid about her singles play.

alextreiber04
Feb 25th, 2004, 04:17 AM
Chanda didn't play any of the tournaments she is missing last year. She'll be fine, don't worry. :)

vogus
Feb 25th, 2004, 04:32 AM
sorry, i just realized that Paola Suarez and Patty Schnyder have the same initials. Of course, when i said "P.S." i was talking about Patty. :o