PDA

View Full Version : ~ Spikey's PAW Diary ~

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 22nd, 2004, 07:43 AM
Hey guys I will be running a Diary here, as I have had some problems in the paw: australia thread. Just to give anyone interested an insighy into how I approach my PAW's etc... :)

Spikey's Diary

Entry 1

Well it has been a really disappointing performance for me in Memphis, I always seem to get bad starts since the Aussie Open 1-3 after day 1, Tokyo - 1-3 after day 1, even Paris 0-1.

Next tournament is Dubai and I'm thinking that I may actually not make a pick on the first day and at least I will not suffer too much like my other tournaments. :p

Here's a run down of my horrendous pick summary in Memphis:

PAW1: Morigami over Lee-Waters (0) :banghead: - Well this was supposed to be my safe pick, obviously proved to be wrong, since it was the first match of the tournament it degraded my spirits right away. I really thought Morigami was going to win but I guess I underestimated Lee-Waters too much, later when looking at Lee-Waters results I found she won a challenger recently, I definitely made this pick without thinking through my option better. A Harkleroad over Talaja pick for 7 would theoretically be more safe since I saw Talaja play real crap at the Aussie Open, oh well.

PAW2: Jankovic over Sucha (0) :bigcry: - well crap has now become shit! I was so confident in Jankovic for some reason, she seemed to have everything going for her this year and Sucha still seems to be a bit inconsistent with results. I thought Jankovic would be able to out rally her for this one, it was a popular pick among others as well. Yes I was shocked when I woke up and saw Sucha won 7-5, 7-5, couldn't concentrate much in class after that.

PAW3: Salerni over Snyder (13) :dance: – Thankfully I got this one right, most had picked Salerni but some opted for Snyder. I saw Salerni in doubles and she has a consistent flowing game, whilst Snyder seemed to be a bit stiff. Furthermore, Salerni was fav according to the bookmakers.

PAW4: Svensson over Perry (20) :woohoo: - Yes this was a nice pick that went my way. Definitely worth a shot at 20, however again a popular pick amongst the others. And damage still done after first two incorrect picks.

PAW5: Gajdosova over Dulko (0) :tears: - Ugh would have been nice if Jarmila won and would have got the 14 here because not as many people PAWed this match. Another bugger.

PAW6: Panova over Grande (16) :banana: - No real hesitation to make this PAW, Panova may have lost to her before but Grande’s results haven’t been impressive. Glad about this choice.

PAW7: Frazier over Jidkova (7) ;) – Well I opted for another safe pick here, I was really confident about this, seeing Frazier’s controlled aggression in Melbourne.

PAW8: Lee-Waters over Sucha (12) :kiss: – I realized Lindsay would have a good chance here, figuring her straight ets win over Morigami would mean she is a powerful player. So thankfully my mind paid off again.

PAW9: Garbin over Zvonareva (0) :fiery: - BIG RISK here but I thought it was worth a shot. Garbin beat Dokic last year and Vera sometimes struggles to generate her own pace against low balls, also Garbin had routed Pennetta. Looking back on it, this was more of a panic reaction. I could have PAWed Dulko over Harkleroad for 18 which I did have some feelings about since they were brought up together. Similarly PointBlank told me on MSN that he was very sure Voskoboeva would beat Arvidsson, but what repulsed me from making the pick was watching a very steady Sofia in Melbourne live.

PAW10: Svensson over Brandi (0) :( - First I was actually going to leave this PAW but for 31 points it was too much of a risk to leave especially since Asa has beaten Kristina before. Turned out to be so close yet so far, Asa led *4-3 in the 3rd, bloody lost the last 3 games, ugh, oh well, life moves on!

PAW11: Salerni over Granville(0) :sobbing: - What can I say, I saw Granville on TV for the first time and she has solid groundstrokes. Actually looking back on it, it was a knee-jerk reaction to PAW Salerni for 22, thinking of it Granville would have won. But that’s what happens when you started doing bad, you panic and don’t think through it completely.

PAW12: Brandi over Granville (0) :rolleyes: :crying2: - Well week has been shit, so let’s continue it this way. I know Granville beat her handily last year in Quebec, but Brandi has improved IMO, oh well – Granville is always a player who seems to ruin me in PAW (eg. I PAWed Granville over Chladkova in Indian Wells, Shaughnessy over Granville in Rome and Zheng over Granville in Quebec)

PAW13: Sharapova over Zvonareva (0) :tears: - Worth a shot, I don’t really regret this pick. End of a horrendous week (finishing 15th!), after winning Paris.

Next tournament: Dubai, I am seriously going to try and do much better, especially since sandg is in top form!

matthias
Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:18 AM
you copy my idea?

thats not nice ;)

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:21 AM
:bigcry:

matthias
Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:23 AM
no need to cry

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:26 AM
Spikey's Diary

Entry 2

I have arrived in Dubai and at the airport I was greeted by some friends, who I met last year at this tournament. The weather seemed more humid than I expected. I ended the day with a trip to the gold mansion and brought heaps of souvenirs :cool:

I will think carefully about my picks here, I made the Quarters here last year. My original thoughts are to PAW Krasnoroutskaya to beat Sugiyama and maybe Mandula to beat Dokic. But I'll make up my mind when I see the first day's schedule of play. :yippee:

matthias
Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:52 AM
i hope i will get a souvenir too

azza
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:00 AM
Aidan :bigwave:

Masharapova
Feb 24th, 2004, 05:10 AM
as I have had some problems in the paw: australia thread.

what problems.

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 24th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Spikey's Diary

Entry 3

Nice start to me in Dubai, got 10 points for "Molik over Vento-Kabchi" in my only PAW on day 1. Yes this is the start I wanted to get! ;)

Very adventurous Day for me tomorrow, but that's required if you wanna win. I cant just be an innocent bystander, I'm going to take risks and see how I go.

Some of the PAW's included:

Lina K over Sugiyama (Lina did really well in Dubai/Doha last year and ought to have her first real good result of the year, they both have similar games but Lina will be more motivated)

Sfar over Tanasugarn (Well this is a risk but I also reckon Sfar is due for a good win in a big tournament. She has beaten Srebotnik before in a challenger. She has played Dubai as WC several times, so maybe it's her destiny to finally win a match.

Douchevina over Serna (Vera D impressed in qualifying but perhaps her inexperience against the jerky balls of Serna may not be good enough. But yet again she has beaten Raymond in straight sets and is on the rise. Worth a 19 point shot.

Kapros over Shaughnessy (Kapros' horrible serves will frustrate Shaughnessy who likes using other's pace for her benefit. Kapros has the edge in the groundstroke rallies as well. However she did lose to Zheng, which was a poor result. Kapros has beaten her before though)

:hysteric: GOOD LUCK TO ME ON DUBAI DAY 2 :banana:

Mattographer
Feb 24th, 2004, 11:18 AM
what problems.
It's a small tissue... guess what? Yeah, it's doubles ranking you posted.

butch
Feb 24th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Spikey's Diary

Entry 3

Nice start to me in Dubai, got 10 points for "Molik over Vento-Kabchi" in my only PAW on day 1. Yes this is the start I wanted to get! ;)

Very adventurous Day for me tomorrow, but that's required if you wanna win. I cant just be an innocent bystander, I'm going to take risks and see how I go.

Some of the PAW's included:

Lina K over Sugiyama (Lina did really well in Dubai/Doha last year and ought to have her first real good result of the year, they both have similar games but Lina will be more motivated)

Sfar over Tanasugarn (Well this is a risk but I also reckon Sfar is due for a good win in a big tournament. She has beaten Srebotnik before in a challenger. She has played Dubai as WC several times, so maybe it's her destiny to finally win a match.

Douchevina over Serna (Vera D impressed in qualifying but perhaps her inexperience against the jerky balls of Serna may not be good enough. But yet again she has beaten Raymond in straight sets and is on the rise. Worth a 19 point shot.

Kapros over Shaughnessy (Kapros' horrible serves will frustrate Shaughnessy who likes using other's pace for her benefit. Kapros has the edge in the groundstroke rallies as well. However she did lose to Zheng, which was a poor result. Kapros has beaten her before though)

:hysteric: GOOD LUCK TO ME ON DUBAI DAY 2 :banana:
well you're 1-3 for Day 2. Could have been worse, I suppose

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 24th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Spikey’s Diary

Entry 4

Well I actually made a last minute decision to pick “Mandula over Dokic” which was a critical decision proved correct. :yeah:
I am now 9th on the table with 6 picks, I am in a fairly reasonable position but I must pick carefully now. My aim is to reach the top 5 here which I can do. I have already made two PAW’s for tomorrow, I might add one more later. These are Myskina over Serna (for 8) and Williams over Molik (for 8), I am fairly confident about these PAW’s, and hope my point total of 43 will increase :kiss: :banana:

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 25th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Spikey's Diary

Entry 5

Well I remain 9th after Day 3 (got 24 pts from 3 correct picks). :dance:Again, I am in a reasonable position, thankfully I didn’t pick Mandula, since I was going too… Nevertheless I unfortunately missed Daniilidou’s win over Capriati, looking back on it, Capriati would have been rusty and Daniilidou would have been a hard opponent to open with. Anyway let’s forget it :toothy: . I am 1 point ahead of sandg!!! He is doing so well, so it will be a goal of mine to finish ahead of him. :hehehe: I am definitely going to PAW Venus over Kuznetsova for 9, and I am deciding on one pick. A Daniilidou over Sugiyama pick for 15 may be an option since zorgzamesnip (currently 2nd) has gone for Ai. If Daniilidou does win and I pick her, I could be in a really title contending position :banana: , but I’ll make my mind up once the top 10 state their QF PAW’s.

Here is my position in the table :baby:

1 butch (3).................... 11 7 4 88
2 zorgzamesnip................. 9 7 2 82
3 saab95....................... 9 7 2 76
4 azza......................... 10 7 3 75
5 Nicky2002.................... 9 8 1 71
6 Klio......................... 11 6 5 71
7 bionic71..................... 10 7 3 69
8 Benny........................ 10 7 3 67
9 SpikeyAidanm (1) ............ 9 6 3 67
10 sandg (2) ................... 9 7 2 66
11 tenn_ace..................... 10 6 4 66
12 petosp (4) .................. 8 6 2 64
13 aussie_stars................. 10 7 3 63
14 oren987...................... 9 6 3 62
15 camoya....................... 10 6 4 60
16 wateva....................... 10 5 5 60
17 Buitenzorg (8) .............. 13 5 8 58
18 kfh_9118..................... 7 6 1 56
19 Nica......................... 9 6 3 56
20 New.......................... 11 6 5 56

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 27th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Spikey's Diary

Entry 6

I am crap, CRAP and I suck, and I take PAW seriosuly so I'm such a looser :crying2: :sobbing: :banghead:

I have eneded with 4 WRONG PAW's in Dubai and from 9 I am now a lowly 21st.

Jeez, all the "hard work" this week for nothing.

I might need to take a break.

broncosven
Mar 1st, 2004, 10:04 AM
Wow Spikey . . . you are like what 1 or 2 in the World of Paw . . im still a junior trying to cope with the transission from Footy Comps in Senior tennis comps

You'll do fine next week . . . well just say you were mentally fatigued after such a heavy schedule

SpikeyAidanm
Mar 1st, 2004, 10:05 AM
Cheers mate :wavey:

broncosven
Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:00 AM
Hey

spikey and others thought u might like to know amazingly i am tied first after the opening day in Mexico

thats funny guess i took some of my own advice - perhaps this week we can have a double tournament win by an aussie

# Player Pks W L Pts
1 broncosven 3 3 0 30
silent140 3 3 0 30
3 Hantuchov 2 2 0 22
levos 2 2 0 22
Nathan27 2 2 0 22
speedster_ 2 2 0 22
21 Watts 2 2 0 22
8 Alek 2 2 0 19
Come-on-kim 2 2 0 19
Jakub 2 2 0 19
jrm 2 2 0 19
marcobarella 2 2 0 19
_shorty_ 3 2 1 19
William Hunt 2 2 0 19
15 aussie_stars 1 1 0 11

theres even a few aussies up there with me

SpikeyAidanm
Mar 2nd, 2004, 09:21 AM
Spikey's Diary

Entry 7

I am role modelling azza believe it or not :lol: , and hoping my day 2 in Doha, was like that of his Day 2 in Dubai where he jumped to a massive lead from 7 PAW's :yeah: . I have got 6 critical PAW's tonight and left out two popular picks (Sun over Vento and Douchevina over Dechy.)

I was fortunate to PAW Testud last night for 76 pts :banana: , I am now in contention with 34 players instead of the 70 or so ;) . So good luck tonight to Shaughnessy (omg Sorry Molik :bigcry: :rolleyes: ), Gerhlein, Widjaja, Li, Krasnoroutskaya and Vinci. :cool:

P.S: I really need a solid tournament here, i have Miami RU pts coming off next week!

broncosven
Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:11 AM
Hey Spikey mate

im spewing !!!

for once i have picked 6 out of 7 . . . bu of course someone retires and a person with 200 points get a victory and that again washes away my hopes

Best of luck to u still

Got about half of above picks from memory

SpikeyAidanm
Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:12 AM
Cheers,

pity u misse don da vaidosova pick, you were doing so well. I'm currently 7th in Doha hoping to maintain it :)

broncosven
Mar 7th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Hey Spikey

congrats on ya 9th shame Kutnezova didnt win as that would see u like 4th or 5th

after the last week thought ur diary would become a novel . . .all the happenings with Paw and stuff

Looks like u had alot of stuff on ya hands in Doha . . . . . and the obvious RIP OFFS which are coming more and more ( im sry but had to laugh at that CAW thread, that is like really really sad)

Guess its hard but pateince is a virtue and virtousness takes patience !!!

u do an awesome job and i hope u continue to do it

Next week . . . .Indian Wells

BIG POINTS!!! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!

SpikeyAidanm
Mar 7th, 2004, 11:54 PM
Hey mate,

Thanks for following my results so closely, a wek of controversies indeed but it makes the game stronger to thrive out of them all :) Ya know I really did think Kuznetsova would beat Henin, I was just reluctant to pick it to hold on my spot, NEXT TIME I WILL ALWAYS FOLLOW MY INSTINCTS!

Indian Wells will be tough but yeah if I follow my conscience, I think I can perform well.

Cheers mate, good luk to u too :wavey: :dance:

blerr
Mar 8th, 2004, 12:04 AM
hahaha..You can't be referring to ME Spikey......i think I told you to pick Kuznetsova...hm hmm..... ;) ;) lol j/k :wavey:

SpikeyAidanm
Mar 8th, 2004, 12:09 AM
_shorty_, don't woz mate, I somehow have a habit on asking others when I'm actually the person I should be asking lol.

I guess that puts me in a position for nothing to lose in Indian Wells, now that I am 100% sure with my game technique ;)

blerr
Mar 8th, 2004, 01:01 AM
LOL...i'll give my "input" to u anyway.........cuz I wanna win! haha ;)

broncosven
Mar 8th, 2004, 07:18 AM
I think alot of people wanna perform well at Indian Wells

I got the same problem as u . . i change my mind and sometime listen to other people and then change my pick ( then that pick losers)

Has been a funny week . . . . . just laugh about it . . . . . id be happy that people want to be like you . . .they WORSHIP YOU!!!

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY SPIKEY !!!!!

SpikeyAidanm
Mar 8th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Hey Sven mate,

Yer the CAW game got locked sumhow, so great to see the mods doin their work.

Omg I'm so anxious to see if Sam is in Indian Wells qualies and who she gets lol, hope not Lee-Waters, otherwise she should be fine :)

GOod luck to you mate, some 121 players in Indian Wells, I also saw u enter PAW Doubles, and have fun there too and just play at your own risk ;)

:wavey:

broncosven
Mar 8th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Thanks Man

i play doubles just to get 'matchplay' . . i also seem to have more luck - wish that would carry over into singles

i would never play anything like paw qualifyting or CAW . . . i thought marco had your ok to do a Paw doubles No??? ill stop it if u want ?? i dont mind i like these sorts of tipping contests

Sam has drawn Jana Needjly so hopefully Sam can win . . . . hopefully one of us or another AUSSIES can take out the PAWS title

SpikeyAidanm
Mar 8th, 2004, 09:11 AM
i thought marco had your ok to do a Paw doubles No??? ill stop it if u want ?? i dont mind i like these sorts of tipping contest

Marco conducted his PAW Doubles very unprofessional, no contact with me at all.

Anyway Sam should qualify :D :bigwave:

broncosven
Mar 8th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Sam should . . . . . . qualify

Hit a speed bump most likely having to play the winner of mexico, Bensonova last week in the final qualifying

gonna love reading your thoughts this week behind what u choose in Paw . . . in the big tournies the real pro's come out

azza
Mar 9th, 2004, 05:22 AM
Hi :o i really suck at paw.. :o

blerr
Mar 9th, 2004, 05:37 AM
awwwwwwwwww....lol Hi Azza! No you don't! Your better than me! I SUCK haha

broncosven
Mar 9th, 2004, 08:29 AM
I think your ranking is bigger then mine

ive been around the 70's since the begining of the year

Maybe the European season is what i need to kickstart my top 20 aspirations

blerr