PDA

View Full Version : Silvia Farina Elia the Ai Sugiyama of 2004??

LindsayRulez
Feb 22nd, 2004, 05:02 AM
Last year, Ai had her best year by far, and it happened to be late in her career. She was very solid and won a few big tournaments. Silvia Farina Elia has started to play very solid tennis this year and is finding herself still standing late in tournaments. She has a chance to take a big title tomorrow afternoon. Maybe she'll continue this good form throughout the year and end just outside or maybe inside the top 10 this year...that would be quite interesting

Leo_DFP
Feb 22nd, 2004, 05:07 AM
She seems to have these good streaks quite often. Remember last summer she randomly started playing excellent tennis from the end of May to the middle of July. She won Strasbourg, reached the 3rd round of the French (Venus was too good that day), beat Davenport en route to the Eastbourne semis, and then beat Rubin and took a set from Clijsters in the quarterfinals of Wimbledon. But, after that, her form fell drastically for the rest of the year. Now her game has suddenly been re-awakened, but I doubt it's going to last, unfortunately.

esquímaux
Feb 22nd, 2004, 05:15 AM
I like it when players have their ups....unfortunately players have downs too :tears:

Jakeev
Feb 22nd, 2004, 05:48 AM
Well guys she was ranked 12 or 13 just a couple of years ago, the best she had done in her career. But I think she got plagued by injuries and seems to be rebounding quite nicely.

Now if she keeps this up perhaps she can match or better her ranking from 2001-2002.

Berlin_Calling
Feb 22nd, 2004, 06:05 AM
hope silvia has a good year. she has bulked up this year and so far, it looks like its paying off!

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 22nd, 2004, 06:07 AM
Last year, Ai had her best year by far, and it happened to be late in her career. She was very solid and won a few big tournaments. Silvia Farina Elia has started to play very solid tennis this year and is finding herself still standing late in tournaments. She has a chance to take a big title tomorrow afternoon. Maybe she'll continue this good form throughout the year and end just outside or maybe inside the top 10 this year...that would be quite interesting

LindsayRulez, in case you have been sleeping a while, Silvia Farina Elia was the Ai Sugiyama of 2001.

fammmmedspin
Feb 22nd, 2004, 06:20 AM
People havn't noticed but the Italian race for number 1 is well underway - adding to the ongoing Belgian and Russian races. Silvia has just retaken it from Francesca I think.