PDA

View Full Version : Venus' Record In Finals

UDiTY
Feb 22nd, 2004, 12:01 AM
From 1999 to the first half of 2002 Venus was 19-1 in finals, her only loss to Lindsay in Linz in 2000. Since then she has gone 4-7.

For someone who was so tough in finals, it seems those losses to Serena have taken away some of her competitive instinct. She used to bring her best to every final...I wish she could bring that back. :sad:

What is her problem now?!? What does she need to do?? Is it just a confidence issue?

Rothes
Feb 22nd, 2004, 12:07 AM
I think Anna Pistolesi needs to have a word with her ;)

bandabou
Feb 22nd, 2004, 12:08 AM
Thing is that Serenaīs even MORE tougher in finals, specially in Major-finals.

And thatīs been the problem really for Venus.

Knizzle
Feb 22nd, 2004, 12:11 AM
From 1999 to the first half of 2002 Venus was 19-1 in finals, her only loss to Lindsay in Linz in 2000. Since then she has gone 4-7.

For someone who was so tough in finals, it seems those losses to Serena have taken away some of her competitive instinct. She used to bring her best to every final...I wish she could bring that back. :sad:

What is her problem now?!? What does she need to do?? Is it just a confidence issue?

She has problems against Serena. Just about everyone does, get over it. She is 4-2 against everyone else including a retire to Mauresmo.

dreamgoddess099
Feb 22nd, 2004, 12:12 AM
What is her problem now?!? What does she need to do?? Is it just a confidence issue?Venus just has a solve a proplem that no one else in professional sports has ever had to deal with. She will figure it out and be a better player for it. She really has no peers right now, because no one has walked in her foot steps. No one can tell her how she feels, or how to help her. She has to figure it out on her own and she will.

turt
Feb 22nd, 2004, 12:22 AM

Justine was 14-0 in finals (junior, ITF, WTA) before Wimbledon 2001, where she lost to Venus. Then she didn't do so well in the finals until 2003, where she did way better, and the trend goes on in 2004...

So, Venus is not a desperate case ;)

Volcana
Feb 22nd, 2004, 12:34 AM
Subtratc the finals vs Serena

Knizzle
Feb 22nd, 2004, 12:45 AM
Subtratc the finals vs Serena

And you have an injury retire to Mauresmo after winning the first set and a lapse in concentration after blitzing Clijsters in the first set at Hamburg.

bandabou
Feb 22nd, 2004, 12:45 AM
Take away the finals against Serena and Venus has only lost one final..Hamburg ī02 vs Kim...thatīs it.

PatM04
Feb 22nd, 2004, 12:55 AM
Who is the other loss besides Mauresmo and Serena?

tennnisfannn
Feb 22nd, 2004, 01:46 AM
People say that Serena's match vs Venus in Miami 2002 was the turning point in thier h2hs. Personally i believe it was the USO 2001. Venus won that match but looking at her as she served it is clear she was grimacing, it hurt her to beat serena. When she ran up and told her she loved her and in her speech later she also said something to the effect that she has always looked out for Serena and she had rather go without and see Serena win. Those emotions ran deep and Venus was never the same against Serena, she seems to be making progress however. I hope she finally gets another big win and very soon.

TonyP
Feb 22nd, 2004, 02:39 PM
I believe Venus lost to Hingis in the finals at Carlsbad in 1999. The score was 6-4, 6-0.

Experimentee
Feb 22nd, 2004, 02:46 PM
Her only problem is Serena. Serena is even better and more motivated in finals than Venus.

dreamgoddess099
Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:09 AM
People say that Serena's match vs Venus in Miami 2002 was the turning point in thier h2hs. Personally i believe it was the USO 2001. Venus won that match but looking at her as she served it is clear she was grimacing, it hurt her to beat serena. When she ran up and told her she loved her and in her speech later she also said something to the effect that she has always looked out for Serena and she had rather go without and see Serena win. Those emotions ran deep and Venus was never the same against Serena, she seems to be making progress however. I hope she finally gets another big win and very soon.Good observation! ;) I agree for the most part about Venus's emotions weakening her fight against Serena. But it was also Serena's increased passion and will to win that had a lot to do with it as well. To tell you the truth, I see the balance of power shifting between the two of them for years to come. Just like it has the past five years with Serena having an almost three year gap between majors and Venus's gap of over two years in major titles. Even after all of the grandslam finals Serena has beaten Venus in, Serena's six slams is still only one major title (if you count Venus gold medal) ahead of Venus's four slams and gold medal. It will be interesting to see who will have won the most majors at the end of their careers.

tennisIlove09
Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:15 AM
People say that Serena's match vs Venus in Miami 2002 was the turning point in thier h2hs. Personally i believe it was the USO 2001. Venus won that match but looking at her as she served it is clear she was grimacing, it hurt her to beat serena. When she ran up and told her she loved her and in her speech later she also said something to the effect that she has always looked out for Serena and she had rather go without and see Serena win. Those emotions ran deep and Venus was never the same against Serena, she seems to be making progress however. I hope she finally gets another big win and very soon.
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

I've always said that the US Open was the turning point in the Williamses career.

Venus didn't like beating Serena--especially in major finals (the "I Love You" afterwards proved this, I think. I'm sure Serena knew that Venus still loved her ;) )

And Serena was near tears at a loss.

The result? The next two times Venus barely made Serena break a sweat against her. :o

LindsayRocks89
Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:17 AM

very well said ;)

Diya
Feb 23rd, 2004, 05:24 AM
Her only problem is Serena. Serena is even better and more motivated in finals than Venus.

Just like Kim's only problem is Justine and that too only in GS finals ;)

bandabou
Feb 23rd, 2004, 06:03 AM
Just like Kim's only problem is Justine and that too only in GS finals ;)

:lol: Well, at least Venus was the one to draw first-blood.

LUIS9
Feb 23rd, 2004, 07:29 AM
I have to also agree with the common mass, and tennisfann for his observation that US open really set the tone for their rivalry, yes miami made things worst but it all began after she beat Serena convincingly at their first grand slam final at such an important venue in both of their careers.