PDA

View Full Version : Info about new Forest Hills Tier V

Andrew.
Feb 21st, 2004, 03:12 AM
I was curious about this 92K "Tier V" tournament :unsure: so I did some research and found this article...

Forest Hills tourney no threat

By SEAN BARKER , Special to The Press 02/19/2004

A womenís tennis tournament will be held at Forest Hills, the former site of the U.S. Open, the same week as the Pilot Pen Tennis tournament this year, but the New Haven-based tournament will not be affected as far as competition for players.

Both are USTA events. The Pilot Pen is a Tier II event, offering $585,000 in prize money, including $92,000 to the winner. Forest Hills is a Tier V event (one step above a satellite stop) and offers $70,000 of total prize money.

The Pilot Pen is a direct-entry tournament, so the top 22 players who compete the week of Aug. 22-28 are required to play at the Pilot Pen. The WTA does not allow players to "play down."

Six players gain entry into the Pilot Pen main tournament through the qualifying draw. It is possible some players who in the past attempted to qualify for the Pilot Pen would opt for the Forest Hills event.

The Forest Hills event is designated for the next tier of players who had not had a tournament to compete in the week before the U.S. Open.

The weeks before the Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon all offer multiple tournaments, with the same guidelines.

There will not be battles for players like those that took place between New Haven and Indianapolis when both had menís tournaments.

*roddicksinme*
Feb 21st, 2004, 03:14 AM
Forest Hills tournament is also only 16 players singles main draw
no qualies
no doubles

- L i n a -
Feb 21st, 2004, 03:21 AM
Smart idea to have another tourney the week of New Haven.

*roddicksinme*
Feb 21st, 2004, 03:25 AM
maybe so they wont have to pay more prize money???
no clue

- L i n a -
Feb 21st, 2004, 03:26 AM
Maybe to keep the tournament short...

Like New Haven, the top seeds only have to win 4 matches for the title.

LiliaLee-Frazier
Feb 21st, 2004, 04:46 AM
Wow..what a nice way for some of the lower ranked players to gain some exta points :D :bounce:

sylvain
Feb 21st, 2004, 08:12 AM
No double :rolleyes: