PDA

View Full Version : Talking to players

Vass22
Feb 20th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Hi guys!
I'm lucky enough to be a member of a club which host the Dubai tournament. I have a zillion opportunities to meet and talk to any players I want, but the thing is I don't know how to do it.
How do I start a conversation? I know some people manage to talk to layers for 2-4 minutes, so I'm wondering how they do it and about what are they asking players?
I would appreciate any tips, and wouldn't mind if they are posted real soon.
PS: I think I can ask those players some questions, so is there anything you want to know? Kirilenko, Douchevina and then Myskina, Krasnoroutskaya, Likhovtseva, Kuznetsova are the ones I'll probably get to meet.

goldenlox
Feb 21st, 2004, 03:07 AM
Ask them if they read Russian Roulette.

goldenlox
Feb 21st, 2004, 03:27 AM
Tell those girls that they have fans who root for them and follow their careers.
And we wish them health and success.

goldenlox
Feb 21st, 2004, 03:38 AM
Ask Elena L. is she thinks she and Sveta have a realistic chance at making the Olympic team.

Vass22
Feb 21st, 2004, 06:37 PM
Hi again! I've been at the first day's qualifying in Dubai, and also saw some top players practice.
I saw Vera Douchevina's match against some 302-ranked player, which ofcourse she won. Right after it I stood near the entrance of the court and waited till she leaves it. When she did I opproached her and asked if I could take a picture if her. And she was like: 8) "OF me?! O-okey." Looks like she isn't used to people being interested in her yet. This is a little off-topic but she looks better in real life than on pictures. Btw. pics of her comming tommorow.
I also caught Myskina practice with Likhovtseva. I wouldn't have seen them if it wasn't for them running back and forth looking for the entrance to the court. Nastya came with her coach, who by the way didn't do anything 'coachy'. For what it's worth he was just their "ball man" ;) . In the middle of the practice when the man tried to give Nastya an advice on one of her shots an argument started. I don't know what it was about but in the end Lena Nastya and that guy were all laughing so I guess it wasn't very serius. Btw. pics of Nastya are comming too.
Before Nastya's practice I also saw Jelena Dokic practicing with Schiavone. She wasn't in the mood and wasn't hitting well, made a lot of errors. I also saw her in the gym, to which I have access as I'm a member of the club which hosts the event. She left soon after she came there as her coach and someone else (perhaps a boyfriend) made a joke on her, and she couldn't stand it. If this mental depression doesn't stop she wouldn't last long in the tournament. Btw. pics of her comming in too.

goldenlox
Feb 21st, 2004, 06:42 PM
Vera beat Sromova. She shouldn't be surprised that people know her. She played Harkleroad and Venus in majors.
She won Jr. Wimbledon. I think she was just being nice.

Vass22
Feb 21st, 2004, 06:44 PM
well she was genuinly surprized whatever the reason.

vaiva
Feb 21st, 2004, 07:07 PM
Thanks Vass22

Looking forward to more reports and pics. Have fun!

the cat
Feb 21st, 2004, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the report, Vass. And the coming pictures, too. ;) That's typical Nastya arguing with her coach and boybriend. :eek:

I hope Vera has a good tournament.

Hi Vaiva! :wavey:

goldenlox
Feb 22nd, 2004, 03:57 AM
Say hello to Sveta. She speaks at least 3 languages fluently.