PDA

View Full Version : Russian Showdown in Memphis

pierce0415
Feb 20th, 2004, 01:54 AM
Are my the only one that thinks that both the lower tier tourneys this week have turned out to be more interesting than the soon to be Tier I "Lets Just Hand Kim the Diamond Racquet" Antwerp? While it is obvious that Kim will win that title, there is an interesting scenerio developing in the heartland of the USA as two young Russian doubles partners battle it out for the final.

(1) Vera:

http://www.tennis-ontheline.com/pics/03iw/iw03vera03.jpg

Maria (3)

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/2003/06/29/images/2003062905141701.jpg

I think this match is Maria's to win or lose as she has the bigger serve and groundstrokes but Vera will counterpunch all of Maria's power back at her. It will be close but Maria will win in 3. :bounce:

F-R-E-A-K
Feb 20th, 2004, 02:04 AM
I think and hope Maria can win this match!!!

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 20th, 2004, 02:15 AM
This really could go either way ....

I guess I'll take Vera in three.

DelMonte.

LindsayRocks89
Feb 20th, 2004, 02:15 AM
it could go either way but this is Maria's match to win or lose

Gowza
Feb 20th, 2004, 02:17 AM
vera self distructs alot and maria is very dangerous so if vera does have a lapse maria will win. i think maria is the better player but vera will be tough for her i think.

BK4ever
Feb 20th, 2004, 02:27 AM
Maria does not have bigger groundies than Vera...I have seen both up close and I would have to say they are evenly matched...Maria has a bigger serve in terms of mph but Vera has much more variety on her serve and her groundies...If Vera keeps her cool and plays the kind of defense she is capable of...she should win this match...

- L i n a -
Feb 20th, 2004, 02:48 AM
Vera will choke to the new Ms. Nagyova. :sad:

Andrew.
Feb 20th, 2004, 02:49 AM
Vera. 2 sets. Not as hard as people think.

faboozadoo15
Feb 20th, 2004, 02:50 AM
maria. straight sets. she's quicker and hits harder from the ground and serve.

- L i n a -
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:00 AM
Maria's quicker? :haha:

¤CharlDa¤
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:01 AM
Im hopinp and predicting Maria will win...She hits harder, serves better and is more attacking...But the difference wil lbe mental, maira is pretty strong mentally compared to Vera!

mboyle
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:02 AM
Maria isn't as slow as you think:rolleyes: . She's clearly a better player than Vera, and I honestly can't see the Nagyova connection.

Sharapova 6-0; 6-4 :devil:

More realisticly Sharapova 7-5; 6-3

- L i n a -
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:03 AM
Yes, Maria is clearly a better player than Vera.

All Vera does it get to QF's and SF's of big tournies, while Maria plays in the minor leagues those weeks.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:11 AM
the new Ms. Nagyova.
New user name, but the old and same name inventor.

shap_half
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:16 AM
I feel that Vera will win her second title in Memphis!!!!! Vera in 2!

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:29 AM
All Vera does it get to QF's and SF's of big tournies, while Maria plays in the minor leagues those weeks.
Isn't it a Tier III tournament that Vera is playing at Memphis this week?

DelMonte
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:32 AM
This really could go either way ....

I guess I'll take Vera in three.

DelMonte.

Hey CinnamoninCinema, why are you signing off with my name?

DelMonte

PS I am cheering for Vera. Tantrums aside, I like this girl!

BK4ever
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:33 AM
you must be trippin if you think Maria is quicker than Vera...to make that statement u couldnt possibly have seen them play...Myskina beat Maria in Aus because she could hit with her off the ground, but most importantly she ran everything down and made Maria hit more shots than she wanted to..

If Vera is at her best tomorrow...have u seen Vera play defense...she should win without much fanfare...

LeonHart
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:35 AM
Vera will win 6-2 6-7 6-4 (she will self-destruct in the second set from up 5-1).

- L i n a -
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:38 AM
you must be trippin if you think Maria is quicker than Vera...to make that statement u couldnt possibly have seen them play

You post in GM quite often... you should know that this is true of 90% of the clowns here.

Epigone
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:51 AM
Vera should win if she stays composed. I watched Vera outhit Davenport in Sydney, so I believe that she will be able to handle Maria. Vera will stay on the baseline and defend until she can unleash her backhand. If her backhand is firing, it will cause Maria a lot of trouble. I really hope that she doesn't bin this match because it will give her a tremendous confidence boost. I believe that it is a lack of confidence that is stopping Vera from taking her game to the next level.

- L i n a -
Feb 20th, 2004, 04:06 AM
I think the biggest reason why Vera doesn't move up a level, is that she's simply not good enough. Vera's game is extremely consistent, and while she does have strong shots and great movement, she doesn't have the big weapon to beat players ranked ahead of her.

Let us remember that she has defeated ONE player ranked ahead of her, and she ain't looking so hot now.

MH-forever
Feb 20th, 2004, 04:07 AM
this match has its own significance, shall Vera win, she will pass Nadia and prove that she is the best player out of top 10, on the other hand, if Maria wins, she will be the one announcing her race to top 10 by beating the supposed best player outside top 10 ranking-wise with Nadia out of play. If Maria wins this, she should seriously consider skipping Tier IIIs, but my pick is on Vera

goldenlox
Feb 20th, 2004, 04:09 AM
Not true. Vera is not consistent. She loses to non-top 20 players now and then.

- L i n a -
Feb 20th, 2004, 04:10 AM
I know Vera's results are a bit consistent, but her game is very consistent.

Her mind, we know.

Masharapova
Feb 20th, 2004, 04:12 AM
:) masha :)

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 20th, 2004, 04:12 AM
Go Vera!

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 20th, 2004, 04:29 AM
Hey CinnamoninCinema, why are you signing off with my name?

DelMonte

PS I am cheering for Vera. Tantrums aside, I like this girl!

I don't see your name on it.

DelMonte

Daniel
Feb 20th, 2004, 05:30 AM
Vera :D

pav
Feb 20th, 2004, 06:11 AM
I think the biggest reason why Vera doesn't move up a level, is that she's simply not good enough. Vera's game is extremely consistent, and while she does have strong shots and great movement, she doesn't have the big weapon to beat players ranked ahead of her.

Let us remember that she has defeated ONE player ranked ahead of her, and she ain't looking so hot now.
I can think of a few more ranked ahead of Her when She defeated them
Panova -Majoli- Shaughnessy-Myskina-

faboozadoo15
Feb 20th, 2004, 06:18 AM
you must be trippin if you think Maria is quicker than Vera...to make that statement u couldnt possibly have seen them play...Myskina beat Maria in Aus because she could hit with her off the ground, but most importantly she ran everything down and made Maria hit more shots than she wanted to..

If Vera is at her best tomorrow...have u seen Vera play defense...she should win without much fanfare...
i don't see your point... or maybe you forgot to make one :tape:
maria losing to myskina-- sure thats bc she is slower. myskina is one of the best movers AND retrievers in the game. vera isn't. maria is quicker.
IMO maria lost because she had no patience, not bc she was slower, but i can go along with that assumption.

and yes i have seen vera play defense. funny thing, maria can do THAT just as well but she also has more attacking game and a better serve.

Epigone
Feb 20th, 2004, 06:33 AM

Let us remember that she has defeated ONE player ranked ahead of her, and she ain't looking so hot now.Vera should have beat Lindsay in Sydney. The first set of that match showed me that she has the firepower to beat a top 5 player. She was hitting clean winners to the sidelines and there was nothing that Lindsay could do. When Lindsay started to get into her rhythm, Vera started to hit some UEs. The UEs made her lose confidence and she lost the second set 2-6, despite winning the first 6-1. You generally have to be a confident person to succeed in tennis, and I think that Vera's self-berating rants destroy her confidence.

When I look at Maria, I see a girl who has high expectations for herself and who believes that she can achieve anything that she strives for. When I look at Vera, I see a girl who has high expectations for herself, yet doesn't always believe that she can succeed. If Vera possessed Maria's positive attitude, I believe that there would be much less choking and many more victories over higher-ranked opponents.

ys
Feb 20th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Vera's style will drive Masha nuts.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 20th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Vera should have beat Lindsay in Sydney. The first set of that match showed me that she has the firepower to beat a top 5 player. She was hitting clean winners to the sidelines and there was nothing that Lindsay could do. When Lindsay started to get into her rhythm, Vera started to hit some UEs. The UEs made her lose confidence and she lost the second set 2-6, despite winning the first 6-1. You generally have to be a confident person to succeed in tennis, and I think that Vera's self-berating rants destroy her confidence.

When I look at Maria, I see a girl who has high expectations for herself and who believes that she can achieve anything that she strives for. When I look at Vera, I see a girl who has high expectations for herself, yet doesn't always believe that she can succeed. If Vera possessed Maria's positive attitude, I believe that there would be much less choking and many more victories over higher-ranked opponents.

Great post.

DelMonte
Feb 20th, 2004, 07:02 AM
I don't see your name on it.

DelMonte

What's going on?

DelMonte

Dymension
Feb 20th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Vera will win, no doubts.

I still think Maria is too inconsistent at the moment, where as Vera game has settled down dramatically over the past 12 months. Vera is much more consistent but can also hit winners from anywhere.
Her experience will also be a key factor.

ys
Feb 20th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Oh, baby... It's just an age difference. At 16 people are not capable of really thinking, reflecting, doubting. It all comes later. Just recall what kind of fearless slugger Kournikova was at age of 16, and what has become of her 3 years later. Masha is Russian. She will have the same thing going with her mind in three years time.

PointBlank
Feb 20th, 2004, 07:28 AM
The crowd is so anti-Masha it isnt funny :mad:

Vera will have the crowds support so it is all up to Mashas game

Masharapova
Feb 20th, 2004, 07:34 AM
maria будет гораздо лучшее игроком чем vera.

faboozadoo15
Feb 20th, 2004, 07:48 AM
The crowd is so anti-Masha it isnt funny :mad:

Vera will have the crowds support so it is all up to Mashas game
that's kinda surprising... at least i think. thought they'd love maria there.

BK4ever
Feb 20th, 2004, 01:20 PM
i don't see your point... or maybe you forgot to make one :tape:
maria losing to myskina-- sure thats bc she is slower. myskina is one of the best movers AND retrievers in the game. vera isn't. maria is quicker.
IMO maria lost because she had no patience, not bc she was slower, but i can go along with that assumption.

and yes i have seen vera play defense. funny thing, maria can do THAT just as well but she also has more attacking game and a better serve.
Vera is overall a better play than Maria is right now..

Vera is quicker, has more variety off the ground and on the serve (maybe not in MPH) but she mixes it up very well...and to the person who says Vera doesnt have a big weapon...please see her massive BH...

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 20th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Just recall what kind of fearless slugger Kournikova was at age of 16, and what has become of her 3 years later.
Masha is Russian. She will have the same thing going with her mind in three years time.
No comment.

I prefer to let Masha's on court performances do the talking for her.

the cat
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Well said, MSF. Maria will not turn into Anna.

Maria has more firepower than Vera. But Vera is more consistent and more experienced than Maria. If Maria can limit her unforced errors she has a good chance to cause the upset. If not Vera should win. I'm rooting for Masha of course. But I think Vera will win in 3 sets.

Greenout
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Vera has a great returners game. Maria only knows how to attack, and
there's too much hit and miss with her. Vera likes pace. The smaller
crowds should be easier to stomach for Vera than at Rod Laver in
Melbourne.

Vera should win this one.

Fyndh0rnElf
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Why do most posters seem to think Vera is nothing but a counterpuncher? She has a counter game that reminds Clijsters, but she is a lot more agressive and attacks a lot more than Clijsters. Vera has the game to beat anyone :armed: Not sure about the mental part :unsure:

ghosts
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Zvonareva 5-7 6-0 6-4

Vass22
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Vera ofcourse

the cat
Feb 20th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Excellent analysis, Greenout.

I found an article on Vera Zvonareva where she was talking about her semifinal match against Maria Sharapova. Vera speaks very highly about Maria. :) The article is located at www.atptennis.com/memphis/news/04thursday1.asp (http://www.atptennis.com/memphis/news/04thursday1.asp)

And it seems that Vera suffers from the occasional nose bleed. I hope she has that situation under control in the future because that could bother her at inopportune times in her career.

Edward.
Feb 20th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Go Maria! Kick her ass! :D :yeah:

KV
Feb 20th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Looking forward to this meeting. Go for a 3-setter, adv. Vera

tenn_ace
Feb 20th, 2004, 05:37 PM
why is crowd anti-Masha? what has she done to deserve it?

apoet29
Feb 20th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Actually ys, I think you mean 7 years later. Anna will be 23 in June.

It all depends on how much Maria is able to keep her focus. She says that she wants to be number and that every match she wins brings her closer to that goal. If she can keep that type of intense focus, then yes, she will succeed.

The crowd is probably anti-Masha for all the obvious reasons.

tenn_ace
Feb 20th, 2004, 06:47 PM
The crowd is probably anti-Masha for all the obvious reasons.
:confused: could you elaborate, please?

skanky~skanketta
Feb 20th, 2004, 06:55 PM
vera's best shot is the backhand. i love the way she hits it.

i have a feeling she'll choke but i want her to win really badly.

MH-forever
Feb 20th, 2004, 09:24 PM
now that Vera has passed Nadia, which i think she did, with 400 points dropping off from Ai who is injured, she will make top 10 sooner then i thought, anyways, good job winning this match, good lesson Maria has learned that there is a difference between 4th ranked Russian and 5th ranked Russian, good luck to both

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 21st, 2004, 06:51 AM
there is a difference between 4th ranked Russian and 5th ranked Russian
Yes, there's a big defference between world #12 and #25.