PDA

View Full Version : An excellent ******************** article on Maria Sharapova.

the cat
Feb 19th, 2004, 11:25 PM
This informative article is located at www.********************/news_021904.html (http://www.********************/news_021904.html). Maria says "Physically, I'm still only at 20 percent of I'm capable of". If that's the case Maria really could become an elite tennis player in a few years. :D

But Masha's coaching situation is a uncertain at this point. And that is concerning. :( She doesn't have a permanent travelling coach working with her. I wish she would give Pavel Slozil a call. :)

for-sure
Feb 19th, 2004, 11:34 PM
thanks nice article. She has got a good head on her shoulders. Kid-of reminds me of a tone-downed Venus.

SJW
Feb 19th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Maria :hearts:

apoet29
Feb 19th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Cat,

From what I understand, Pavel Slozil is pretty much retired at this point. I did think it was interesting that Eric Van Harpen has been working with her. He is known as a tough as nails coach, but he does get results from his players.

the cat
Feb 19th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Well said, for-sure. I agree with you.

apoet, it's possible Pavel Slozil is retired. But it would hurt to call him and find out for sure. I think Eric Van Harpen would be a good choice as a full time coach for Maria. But it doesn't sound like that will happen.

apoet29
Feb 20th, 2004, 12:27 AM
Cat, I received your PM and will do the best I can. I am only here for another 45 minutes.

I'm sure that Maria and her team are exploring all possibilities, but Slozil has not been seen coaching anyone in years. The last report I heard on him he had entered Wimbledon's 45 and over draw in 2002. No word on how he did.

Right now, Maria is in a period of adjustment. She is only 16. Her career is relatively new and she is still growing into her body. Things will take time and I really hope that people don't rush her. I think that is what happened to Kournikova. I read an old interview with Slozil I found on the internet and he mentioned that Anna's work ethic was grueling. That may be one of the reasons she is so injury prone. Maria needs to take care of her body now and not overwork it. Anyway, her ambitions show that she has a very bright future ahead of her as long as she keeps her focus and is well protected by her father.

Tomorrow Maria plays Zvonareva. A battle of the Russian blondes will undoubtably be the match of the tournament.

F-R-E-A-K
Feb 20th, 2004, 02:08 AM
thanks!

LindsayRocks89
Feb 20th, 2004, 02:14 AM
this is a great article :bounce: :bounce:

mboyle
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:09 AM
If Masha loses to Vera, I have a suspicion that it is gonna be a loooooooong, Roddick of 02 like year for us Maria fans:sad: . And sadly, I have a gut feeling that she's gonna.

faboozadoo15
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:15 AM
nice article... thanks

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:25 AM
Right now, Maria is in a period of adjustment. She is only 16.
In 2 months' time Masha will be 17.

So I like to think of Masha as a 17-year-old, not as "She is only 16".

Now it's Golovin who's only 16.

¤CharlDa¤
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:28 AM
Come on Maria :D You're the best!

kwanfan
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:38 AM
Nice article. Thanks.

BK4ever
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:42 AM
I love how she said that Myskina's win over her didnt have much to do with her "myskina" LOL

apoet29
Feb 20th, 2004, 01:17 PM
If Masha loses to Vera, I have a suspicion that it is gonna be a loooooooong, Roddick of 02 like year for us Maria fans:sad: . And sadly, I have a gut feeling that she's gonna.
I think you need to have a little bit more faith in Maria than that. Yes, she hasn't had a great start to the year, but that doesn't mean she won't beat Vera nor does that mean that she will have a poor year.

apoet29
Feb 20th, 2004, 01:18 PM
In 2 months' time Masha will be 17.

So I like to think of Masha as a 17-year-old, not as "She is only 16".

Now it's Golovin who's only 16.
16 or 17 it doesn't matter. Maria is still a teenager and needs to be treated as one. That means giving her time to grow up, grow into her body and develop as a player.

DelMonte
Feb 20th, 2004, 01:30 PM
interesting article. always good to see ambition and drive in a young tennis player. to be honest, i haven't seen maria play enough to make up my mind about whether she is going to be a future no1 (certainly her results have been impressive). i do, however, have a tape of her match of against dokic at wimbledon and i am just about to watch it again to remind myself of her game/style.

DelMonte

DelMonte
Feb 20th, 2004, 01:32 PM
oh goody, i also have sharapova v bovina. had completely forgotten about that one.

Sonja
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Great article cat! Thanks for sharing. With experience and time I think Maria will surprise us all in what she can achieve.

the cat
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:22 PM
I'm glad you guys liked the article. And thank you for your input. :wavey: Especially the highly respected apoet. Her thoughtful viewpoints are always welcomed by me. :)

BK, I noticed Maria said that, too. But I've noticed over the years that most women's tennis players have a hard time crediting their opponents for beating them. Maria is no different in that way.

MBoyle, I don't think Maria's semifinal match today against Vera Zvonareva will have any bearing on how well she does this year. I'm sure Masha will have her ups and downs this year. And that's normal for a young tennis player.

DelMonte, Maria played a great match against Dokica at Wimbledon. She won 6-4 6-4 and didn't lose her serve and served 8 aces in the process. :D

Hi Sonja! :wavey: I'm glad you enjoyed the article. I have high hopes for Maria in her career. But I'm not expecting too much this year because she's still so young and in the developmental stage of her career. A top 20 ranking and a title or 2 in 2004 would be a pretty good year for Maria.