PDA

View Full Version : The Williams sisters' careers are a lot like...

Sam L
Feb 19th, 2004, 09:59 PM
... the careers of golden age of Hollywood star sisters: Olivia de Havilland and Joan de Havilland (better known as Joan Fontaine).

Here's why:

Olivia de Havilland was born in 1916 and Joan Fontaine in 1917.
Venus Williams was born in 1980 and Serena Williams in 1981.

Although it was Olivia who first came to fame with films like The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) and Gone with the Wind (1939), and receiving an Oscar nomination for the latter, it was Joan who won her first Oscar in 1942 for her role in Suspicion (1942).

http://www.reelclassics.com/Actresses/deHavilland/images7/dehav_fontaine_sisters.jpg

Olivia (on left) with sister Joan (on right). Joan won her first Oscar in 1942. Olivia was also nominated but didnt' win.

Hmm, does this remind anyone of 1999 US Open when Serena upstaged Venus to win her first slam as the bittersweet Venus looked on in the stands? Of course, it was Venus that first came to fame by reaching the US Open finals in 1997.

http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_serena_trophy.jpg

So it was a case of little sister upstaging big sister at the big stage (Oscars, grand slams) when it looked like big sister was going to do it before the little sister.

Apparently, this loss drove Olivia to work harder in her career, and she demanded to not be typecast in "sweet" roles that she's received up to that point.

By 1946 Olivia made a big comeback by winning her first Oscar for To each his own (1946) and backed it up again by winning for The Heiress (1949).

Hmm, does this remind anyone of Venus in the year 2000 when she swept to her first slam Wimbledon and quickly backed it up by winning the US Open later in the year?

Of course since then, the Williams sisters have gone on to win more slams, but Olivia and Joan did not win another Oscar again after those triumphs. Keeping in mind, of course, that it's a lot harder to win Oscars than slams.

But for awhile there, their careers did look a lot similar didn't it?

Olivia and Joan are the only sisters to win Oscars. And Venus and Serena are the only sisters to win grand slam singles titles also.

DeDe4925
Feb 19th, 2004, 10:06 PM
... the careers of golden age of Hollywood star sisters: Olivia de Havilland and Joan de Havilland (better known as Joan Fontaine).

Here's why:

Olivia de Havilland was born in 1916 and Joan Fontaine in 1917.
Venus Williams was born in 1980 and Serena Williams in 1981.

Although it was Olivia who first came to fame with films like The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) and Gone with the Wind (1939), and receiving an Oscar nomination for the latter, it was Joan who won her first Oscar in 1942 for her role in Suspicion (1942).

http://www.reelclassics.com/Actresses/deHavilland/images7/dehav_fontaine_sisters.jpg

Olivia (on left) with sister Joan (on right). Joan won her first Oscar in 1942. Olivia was also nominated but didnt' win.

Hmm, does this remind anyone of 1999 US Open when Serena upstaged Venus to win her first slam as the bittersweet Venus looked on in the stands? Of course, it was Venus that first came to fame by reaching the US Open finals in 1997.

http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_serena_trophy.jpg

So it was a case of little sister upstaging big sister at the big stage (Oscars, grand slams) when it looked like big sister was going to do it before the little sister.

Apparently, this loss drove Olivia to work harder in her career, and she demanded to not be typecast in "sweet" roles that she's received up to that point.

By 1946 Olivia made a big comeback by winning her first Oscar for To each his own (1946) and backed it up again by winning for The Heiress (1949).

Hmm, does this remind anyone of Venus in the year 2000 when she swept to her first slam Wimbledon and quickly backed it up by winning the US Open later in the year?

Of course since then, the Williams sisters have gone on to win more slams, but Olivia and Joan did not win another Oscar again after those triumphs. Keeping in mind, of course, that it's a lot harder to win Oscars than slams.

But for awhile there, their careers did look a lot similar didn't it?

Olivia and Joan are the only sisters to win Oscars. And Venus and Serena are the only sisters to win grand slam singles titles also.
No, I think you're wrong about Olivia and Joan. Joan and Olivia were both nominated for best supporting actress at the same time when Olivia was nominated for GWTW. Olivia beat out Joan and won the Oscar and they didn't speak to each other for many many years because of it. They are not like the Sisters at all.

Sam L
Feb 19th, 2004, 10:11 PM
No, I think you're wrong about Olivia and Joan. Joan and Olivia were both nominated for best supporting actress at the same time when Olivia was nominated for GWTW. Olivia beat out Joan and won the Oscar and they didn't speak to each other for many many years because of it. They are not like the Sisters at all.
No you've got it the wrong way.

Olivia was nominated for Supporting Actress for Gone with the Wind in 1939. She didn't win.

Joan AND Olivia were nominated for Best Actress in different roles in 1942 and Joan won.

The "the sisters hate each other" is Hollywood gossip. I don't think anyone knows for sure. But yeah, I've heard that they didn't talk to each other ever after that too. But I don't know for sure.

But obviously, we know the Williams sisters are a lot closer.

DeDe4925
Feb 19th, 2004, 10:12 PM
No you've got it the wrong way.

Olivia was nominated for Supporting Actress for Gone with the Wind in 1939. She didn't win.

Joan AND Olivia were nominated for Best Actress in different roles in 1942 and Joan won.

The "the sisters hate each other" is Hollywood gossip. I don't think anyone knows for sure. But yeah, I've heard that they didn't talk to each other ever after that too. But I don't know for sure.

But obviously, we know the Williams sisters are a lot closer.
You are right, it was the other way around, because Hattie McDaniel beat out Olivia for best supporting in GWTW.

moon
Feb 19th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Thankfully, Venus and Serena get along pretty well. That would be one big mess if they didn't.:angel:

Rollo
Feb 19th, 2004, 10:19 PM
It would make for a mess off court but it would make their head to head matches MUCH more interesting. I like the Waffles matches a lot better now that they are rivals and have made some acid comments towards each other.

DeDe4925
Feb 19th, 2004, 10:23 PM
It would make for a mess off court but it would make their head to head matches MUCH more interesting. I like the Waffles matches a lot better now that they are rivals and have made some acid comments towards each other.
Waffles matches = :zzz:

StarDuvallGrant
Feb 19th, 2004, 10:36 PM

Sure, I would like the tennis between Venus and Serena to be more competitive and whatnot, but at the end of the day someone still has to win. Even with their nice feelings about wanting the other to win, neither just let's the other win. It is weird playing your sister, and even worse when you truly are close and the perspective of the game is lesser than your relationship.

I don't particularly like matches between Kim and Justine only because it seems Justine will win out every time and Kim ends up looking like she shouldn't be in a final even though before the final, she blows everyone out of the field. I just get fed up with sub par performances from Kim in her finals against Justine. I know they aren't best of buds off, but that doesn't translate on either.

I rather prefer finals potential between Justine/Serena or Kim/Venus - Justine/Jennifer, Jennifer/Serena, Jennifer/Venus -- in those matches you see the passion with the players and the win/win attitude that is so fun for the fans.

Sam L
May 11th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Great to see both the Sisters are still going strong.

Olivia and Joan (95 and 94). I read a great interview with the legendary Olivia de Havilland a few years ago, who now lives in Paris.

And Venus and Serena (31 and 30) still going strong on the WTA Tour.

:bounce:

Marcus1979
May 11th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Venus/Martina matches were always interesting especically early in Venus career as you got the sense she hated Martina and visa versa :lol:

I always enjoyed the Venus/Dasvenport rivalry tho, its case of 2 players with mutual respect for one another who always brought the best out of one another.

The Witch-king
May 11th, 2012, 02:13 PM
i like waffles

Serenus Christ
May 11th, 2012, 02:14 PM
I was expecting Beyonce and Alicia Keys
but okay :hysteric: