PDA

View Full Version : Kim (minus the GS title/looks/character/personality ect.) the next Sabatini?

for-sure
Feb 19th, 2004, 06:52 PM
both great players...but never 'the best players...'

Rollo
Feb 19th, 2004, 10:32 PM
It's hard for me to see the comparison. Clijsters will leave a better record IMO, you have to think she'll end up with at least one slam, probably more.

She'll never be a popualr as Sabatini was worldwide though. Gaby was a mystery woman, dark and impossible to figure out. Through in the eyes, lion hair and guys went wild for Gaby. Clijsters is no sex symbol. To me Kim Clijsters is too sunny and open to be like Sabatini.

for-sure
Feb 19th, 2004, 10:35 PM
that is why I said..minus :)

raquel
Feb 19th, 2004, 11:21 PM
It's hard for me to see the comparison. Clijsters will leave a better record IMO, you have to think she'll end up with at least one slam, probably more.

She'll never be a popualr as Sabatini was worldwide though. Gaby was a mystery woman, dark and impossible to figure out. Through in the eyes, lion hair and guys went wild for Gaby. Clijsters is no sex symbol. To me Kim Clijsters is too sunny and open to be like Sabatini.
I agree Rollo, especially regarding the personality difference. In the Ladies Of The Court book I felt the author gave Gaby a very hard time. He made her out to be boring and almost stupid just because she did not answer the questions the way he wanted her to. Gaby is still a star though long after she retired.

bello
Feb 20th, 2004, 01:06 AM
I can see the comparison that both are like "Ladies in Waiting"..
however i can see Clijsters looks like she'll leave a better recoprd, although I believe Gaby possed a greater level of "natural talent", Seles has been quoted at saying in 1995 that Gaby was the most tlaented on tour.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 20th, 2004, 01:07 AM
that is why I said..minus :)

Which is why it's dumb. "Take away their differences and they're exactly the same!" You're making a comparison with this thread, expect to have people contrast.

DelMonte.

Circe
Feb 20th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Honestly, pal, minus the title/looks/character/personality and etc., Sabatini could be...ANYONE on tour.

spencercarlos
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:26 PM
[QUOTE=Rollo]It's hard for me to see the comparison. Clijsters will leave a better record IMO, you have to think she'll end up with at least one slam, probably more.
QUOTE]

Who knows what will happen it happened that Gaby had to compete against Navratilova, Evert, Graf, Seles, considered among the best players ever. Gaby reached 3 grand slam finals all of them against Steffi Graf, lost twice in 3 sets and won her only grand slam title at the Usopen 1990 in straight sets over Graf.

I happened that Kim yes she has won 2 masters already same as Sabatini, but you can look at her grand slam finals lately with neither Venus, Serena playing having only Henin as her main rival (who she used to own a year ago from now) and she keeps losing with ease. Gaby had the tough luck of facing Steffi Graf in all of her finals.

Kim has plenty of room to work with, but we wonder what would be happening if Venus, Serena, and a non injured Monica Seles would be on scene these days, i really doubt Kim would be reaching this finals.

Im not saying Gaby is a better player now, in fact Kim`s game reminds a lot of Steffi Graf, but really her weakest part of her game is the mental part, Kim has failed pretty badly and has missed this easier chances of getting slam wins without having to face Serena or Venus.

As for Gaby i think she had a great career, as i said before had to compete against 4 players considered among the best players ever and she notched some wins here and there against them, and that`s enough for me as a fan. :kiss: