PDA

View Full Version : You can get rid of or add a new surface to the tour....

VW#1
Feb 19th, 2004, 06:01 PM
What do you pick? My brain automatically goes to ice, it would be cool to see the players slide around, but obviously that is not realistic. I would take out Rebound Ace and make the Australian Open, and the preceeding events all regular hard courts, probably the exact same surface as say Miami.

darrinbaker00
Feb 19th, 2004, 06:16 PM
While I truly believe that Rebound Ace was created by :devil: and should be destroyed, I like the idea of having all four majors played on different surfaces. How about making all the courts at Melbourne Park indoors and laying down a Greenset or Taraflex carpet? ;)

Knizzle
Feb 19th, 2004, 06:18 PM
What do you pick? My brain automatically goes to ice, it would be cool to see the players slide around, but obviously that is not realistic. I would take out Rebound Ace and make the Australian Open, and the preceeding events all regular hard courts, probably the exact same surface as say Miami.

They should change it to Miami style slow harcourts like you say. I was thinking the exact same thing.

alextreiber04
Feb 19th, 2004, 06:20 PM
I'd like to add the surface of ICE. Because Canada is good at ICE Sports and it apparently isn't helping when the surfaces are Grass, Hardcourt, Clay etc. ;)

Fyndh0rnElf
Feb 19th, 2004, 06:32 PM
What about sand? Or a thin layer of water to allow aquaplaning?

MisterQ
Feb 19th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Replace rebound ace with hardwood!

Martian Willow
Feb 19th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Velcro?

darrinbaker00
Feb 19th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Replace rebound ace with hardwood!
If you did that, then you'd have to (a) keep the Aussie Open roof closed to reduce the blinding glare from the sun and (b) play with enlarged racquetballs or miniature basketballs, so the balls won't skid when they bounce off the hardwood.

Martian Willow
Feb 19th, 2004, 06:52 PM
...I think they did used to play on wood like basketball courts before the war...it was really fast so everyone had to serve-volley...which would be a problem these days... :)

for-sure
Feb 19th, 2004, 06:55 PM
lol

darrinbaker00
Feb 19th, 2004, 06:56 PM
If I were the voyeuristic type, I'd go for clear Plexiglas, so you can get camera angles from underneath the court. Fortunately, I'm not the voyeuristic type. ;)

AjdeNate!
Feb 19th, 2004, 06:56 PM
I think they should play on snow (or ice as said above).

MisterQ
Feb 19th, 2004, 08:01 PM
...I think they did used to play on wood like basketball courts before the war...it was really fast so everyone had to serve-volley...which would be a problem these days... :)

I have played on wood (or a wood-like surface) because my university converts several basketball courts into tennis courts in the winter. That is, the lines for both games are painted on, and they just put nets up. It IS very fast, however it does work as a surface. I've played a lot of fun matches on it.

JasonUK
Feb 19th, 2004, 08:05 PM
They should have inflatable tennis courts...you'd get to bounce on your serve! :lol:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Feb 19th, 2004, 08:50 PM
My pick would be home carpet(like the one you have at home)

mboyle
Feb 19th, 2004, 09:34 PM
REBOUND ACE MUST GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replace it with carpet.:)

mboyle
Feb 19th, 2004, 09:35 PM
actually, what about Rubber? Wouldn't that ROCK?????

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 19th, 2004, 09:37 PM
I'd like to see a surface of wood. Like a nice, polished, wood floor, like you would see NBA basketball games played on.

shap_half
Feb 19th, 2004, 09:42 PM
What about sand? Sand, anyone? Sand, anyone?

OK yeah, sand!!!!

Or what about jungle soil?

shap_half
Feb 19th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Or day-old manure?

Yonge
Feb 19th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Or day-old manure?

ROTFLMAO!!! But you know, that would be perfect for some players who have, um, "crappy" games.

¤CharlDa¤
Feb 19th, 2004, 10:41 PM
I would definitely get rid of Rebound Ace and turn it in Hard or inddors...Creates too much injuries that put the entire season down!

JennyS
Feb 20th, 2004, 02:19 AM
This is a fun topic. How about....

Brick (not crushed like clay, but actual hard bricks)
linoleum
tile
gum (to replace Rebound Ace)

XaDavK_Kapri
Feb 20th, 2004, 02:46 AM
Marble and wood :D That would be fun and kind of oldie style ;)

¤CharlDa¤
Feb 20th, 2004, 02:47 AM
:lol: at tennis fan!

XaDavK_Kapri
Feb 20th, 2004, 02:49 AM
The grand slam winner on that surface will have pretty scorched knees :haha: scorched or scratched ?? Pardon my anglais :rolleyes:

MH-forever
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:12 AM
rebound ace really should go, it does put too much strain on the foot,
however, i would really want to see a new surface, that is stone!
i think stones do give the ball a different bounce,
wood is fine too, but i think it also stresses the feet

Couver
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:14 AM
I would like to see a surface done up exactly like a trampoline. Imagine the bounce trying to get to an overhead!!

bmxbandit
Feb 20th, 2004, 04:32 AM
Vaseline :eek:

fammmmedspin
Feb 20th, 2004, 04:47 AM
A nice deep fluffy carpet - lord knows what it would do to the game though. Serve would be slowed but could die on landing? Running to a passing shot would be more difficult, jumping and rolling would be less painful? Drop shotted to death?

At least no one said mud.:eek:

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 20th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Glass.

volley1
Feb 20th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Fieldturf. www.fieldturf.com

esquímaux
Feb 20th, 2004, 05:50 AM
Yes! A nice firm berber capet :zzz: the ballboys at the net might fall asleep though :rolleyes:

decemberlove
Feb 20th, 2004, 05:56 AM
If I were the voyeuristic type, I'd go for clear Plexiglas, so you can get camera angles from underneath the court. Fortunately, I'm not the voyeuristic type. ;)
hmm.. i like this idea. im not a pervert [well maybe, but thats not why i like this idea] but cos wed get some nice camera angles of players leaping towards the ball... i love when sports have cameras in the floor.

imagine photographers underneath the floor? some beautiful stills.

skanky~skanketta
Feb 20th, 2004, 06:31 AM
tar!(if they fall though they are pretty much screwed)

wood.

Dymension
Feb 20th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Vaseline :eek: :lol:

I like the glass idea, cameras under court would be cool :bounce:

Couver
Feb 20th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Oh I know. How about a court made of wood suspended by ropes over a chasm like the grand canyon.

Bitter Blue Bong
Feb 20th, 2004, 07:41 AM
imagine photographers underneath the floor?

Players would have to be very careful about what they wore (or didn't). :devil:

Leo_DFP
Feb 20th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Fast, polished wood. :D