3 - LINDSAY DAVENPORT - 3862.00
4 - MARTINA HINGIS - 3841.00
5 - KIM CLIJSTERS - 3698.00
6 - MONICA SELES - 3076.00
7 - JUSTINE HENIN - 2987.00
8 - JELENA DOKIC - 2974.00
9 - SERENA WILLIAMS - 2875.00
10 - AMELIE MAURESMO - 2362.00

Capriati's points have not officially fallen off yet and the celebration for VENUS must be delayed for one week. :(

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 18th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Tee ..... why would they fall off a week earlier ??

Its not like someone put a lead weight to her points ;) (I wish they had)

TeeRexx
Feb 18th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Egg, because I tied that weight to those points.
And how the hell do you know that I did? :eek: :p :cool:

mn73
Feb 18th, 2002, 10:21 AM
It's a shame really that if Venus does well at Dubai she is probably there for the duration of the year (barring an injury that stops her Wimbledon or US Open defence or something drastic like that). With the French Open causing Jennifer to defend 950 points and Venus only 2 points it is a one-horse race again at the top spot. It would be much more fun if Venus and Jennifer were playing for the #1 ranking each week - oh well!

A4
Feb 18th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Mark, you're kidding right? Come on. tell me that was a typo. And you meant a blessing, rather than a shame.
Anyway, Jenn is also qiute a favorite, but its now Venus time. And then Serena will come later. Then Jenn again. Always back the winners!

TeeRexx
Feb 18th, 2002, 10:32 AM
It is a blessing that we will have a new "sweetheart" as no.1 :p

Cappy can get the rank back by sweeping Wimbey and the Open of course. :rolleyes:

TeeRexx
Feb 18th, 2002, 05:53 PM
137 points away from history! :) :wavey:

AjdeNate!
Feb 18th, 2002, 05:58 PM
A big gap between #s 1,2 and 3-10

Infiniti2001
Feb 18th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Mark, you're kidding right? Come on. tell me that was a typo. And you meant a blessing, rather than a shame.

A4, I can assure you that Mark is NOT kidding... He is by far the most UNbiased poster on this board :P Anyway, Go Venus!!!! The sky is the limit

RockSteady
Feb 18th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Who will take the #1 spot from Venus once she gets it? Certainly not Capriati, because Venus has few points to defend and Capriati has many. Monica should enter the top three by Wimbledon, and could get to #1 if she does well at the Grand Slams (isn't that strange? She's been winning tournaments, getting to finals, semis, and just has to do better at the Grand Slams). Lindsay? Yea right...when she recovers, she has loads of points to defend. I don't think the Belgian sisters are quite ready for #1. Who does that leave? I suppose Hingis has the best shot, given that

*she's been playing very good so far this year
*has a first-round loss at Wimbledon -- points to gain
*has no tournament titles or FINALS to defend after this week
*didn't play the last few tournaments of the year

So around Wimbledon time I expect a race between Venus and Martina, with possibly Seles breathing down their necks.

Can't wait! :bounce:

A4
Feb 18th, 2002, 11:24 PM
Infiniti, I know Mark is one of the most unbiased posters here. And I appreciate that. But life can get a bit boring with being too unbiased, don't you think?

BTW, if Martina gets to number one this year, I'll become Andre Agassi!

anastasjoy
Feb 18th, 2002, 11:24 PM
Who will take the top spot from Venus once she gets it? Is thinking this far ahead a way of making her ascension easier to swallow?

Anyway, why couldn't it be Jennifer? Sure, Jennifer has a lot of points to defend up through the French but then her tennis fell off. No reason she can't play at least as well this year. She sure showed mental and physical toughness at the Asutralia n Open. And why couldn't it be Lindsay? She has a fair amount of points to defend in the early spring but then nothing because she was out injured for four months last year- and Lindsay has a history of coming back strong from injuries and kicking butt. Why not the Belgian girls (especially Kim?) They work hard and keep improving. I think Kim is ready for a big move. Hingis? She may have no titles to defend but she has a TON of semis to defend- and frankly, when the competition is tough, semi level tennis is all she seems capable of

My answer would be, almost any of the top players BUT Hingis will be Venus's toughest challenger.

RockSteady
Feb 19th, 2002, 12:01 AM
I'll give you a list of the top players and why they will or will not get to number one.

Jennifer - No. She has a Grand Slam title and two semifinals to defend. Plus, I don't think she is as good as Martina, Venus, Lindsay, Monica, and Serena.

Kim & Justine - they're both amazingly talented, but neither does very well against the top players.

Monica - she could very easily become number one. She has poor performances at the big events and little to defend until after Wimbledon.

Serena - ;) Yea right

Lindsay - How can she possibly get to number one? As soon as she gets back from her injury, most likely just in time for Wimbledon, she'll have a ton of finals and five or six tournaments to defend.

Martina - She has no more titles to defend. No more finals to defend. Semifinals are easy for her to get to...she will atleast get to those. She has a few major tournaments at the end of the year she didn't even play. She has a poor Wimby performance to gain points at. Not to mention she's playing better than anyone on tour right now.

Crazy Canuck
Feb 19th, 2002, 12:07 AM
Rocksteady - Jenn is actually quite likely to trade the ranking back and forth with Venus before Roland Garros.
After that its pretty much up to Venus.

"Who will take the top spot from Venus once she gets it? Is thinking this far ahead a way of making her ascension easier to swallow? "

Its funny - when Jenn took over number one there were questions all over the place about who would take it from her next. Its a logical question. Not necessarily people not being able to "swallow" Venus being the official best :rolleyes:

Ryan
Feb 19th, 2002, 12:08 AM
Very well said RockSteady. I expect it to be a race between Hingis and Venus by Wimby. Capriati seems to live off her grand slam points all year until its time for her to win a tournament. Serena will lose her Indian Wells points, and just wont make it to a grand slam final this year. Seles has no major points to defend, and should be back in the top 4 soon. Davenport wont defend all those titles near the end of the year with Hingis, and possibly the Williamses and Cap playing them. And Serena has no hope in hell of defending the year end championships.

Volcana
Feb 19th, 2002, 12:16 AM
Points-wise, the majors are a wash for Venus and jenn from here on out.

Venus defends 1814 points, from GR, WB, US last year.
Jenn defends 1800.

And last I looked Venus hadn't committed to Miami or Indian Wells. That 617 points from last year she won't defend. Even if Venus is #1 on the 25th of February, she won't be there on March 25th. I think Venus and Jenn will have a bit of a shootout til the end of the year.

CanadianBoy21
Feb 19th, 2002, 12:17 AM
How the hell is Martina playing better then anybody else on the tour RIGHT NOW?????????

Yes she won 2 of her last three titles.
But come on, Jennifer won AUSTRALIAN OPEN, a GRAND SLAM.
Venus won her 6 of 7 tournaments (Acura, Pilot Pen, US OPEN, Gold Coast, Open Gaz De France, and Promixus Diomand Games)
Martina did lose to Jennifer for 4th straight time, she did lose the last time against Venus also.
The only top player Martina has beaten this year Monica twice.
But until she starts beating Venus and Jennifer, she will never be #1.
It's either Venus or Jennfier who is player the best right now.

Ryan
Feb 19th, 2002, 12:28 AM
Sorry to rain on your parade, but Venus hasnt beaten a top 5 player this year. Venus didnt make it to a grand slam final. Hingis did. Jennifer lost in the first round of her ONLY other tournament this year. Martina won a Tier 1 event. Venus has won 3 titles this year, Martina 2. Venus or Martina are playing the best this year.

VS Fan
Feb 19th, 2002, 01:26 AM
I know that RockSteady is a Martina Hingis fan, and I actually agree with him.

If we are talking about who will be #1 at the END of the 2002 seasom, all the talk about defense of points is MOOT.

ALL the 2001 points fall off.

Currently, Martina Hingis is LEADING in championship points for 2002.

The #1 spot may bounce around a while during the year, but at the end of the year, what you did in 2002 is all that counts.

For Venus to hold on to her imminent #1 ranking she will have to continue doing well during the first half of this year, AND win almost everything in the second half like she did in 2001. ( She lost only one match after Wimbledon)
If she goes to school in the fal... Oh well!

CanadianBoy21
Feb 19th, 2002, 04:54 AM
I'm sorry, but has Martina beaten a top 5 player this year??
No.
Venus hasn't done very well in her career at the beginning of the year...and hse is doing very well now, eventhough she only got to Querters of AO, she made it up by winning the next two tournies, going for her 4th, and becoming #1 on the way.
Now mostly it will depend on how Venus does at French, and how Martina does in Wimbledon, both lost 1st round last year.
And you got to admit that you see Venus doing better in French Open, then Martina doing better in Wimby.

And of course Venus will defend her Wimby title for the thirs staright year :p and go on AGAIN to dominate the summer circuit :kiss:

It depends if Venus plays fall or not to determine the year end rankings.
If she does.
1. Venus Williams
2. Jennifer Capriaty
3. Martina Hingis
4. Kim Clijsters
5. Monica Seles
6. Serena Williams
7. Justine Henin
8. Lindsay Davenport
9. Amelie Mauresmo
10. Sandrine Testud

Just my opinion...
of course these things are hard to call because Lindsay Davenport might come earlier then i think she will or later...and Serena Williams can play 5 touraments this year, or go uninjured the rest of the season and play 15 tournies(hopefully :rolleyes: )
Jennifer can come back as a burnout and fall off like she did at the end of last year, or she can play even better then what she did at AO. But I serioulsy doubt Martina can be #1 at the end of this year, maybe somewhere she can sneak one or two weeks in...but sooner or later she won't be able to hide against the top players(Venus, Lindsay, Serena, Jennifer), and they will kick her ass like they were doing the last time she played all of them.
The fact is that they can turn it on the last second(just ask Jen or any other big babe).

hugetennisfan
Feb 19th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Just for the record...

Martina did beat Kim, who is/was at the time no 5.

Also, the top five is really a top four right now, since Lindsay can't play.

Jennifer, Venus, and Martina have each only lost one match this year.

TeeRexx
Feb 19th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Martina is playing well, but her fans have to remember that Martina's main goal is to do something that she hasn't done now in almost four years ... to win a Grand Slam title.

If she gets that top rank again without a slam, she will be back to square one again.