PDA

View Full Version : This is an injury I have never heard of before...

Berlin_Calling
Feb 19th, 2004, 01:12 AM
From WTATour.com:
Doubles - First Round
Kirilenko/Kulikovskaya (RUS/RUS) d. Bartoli/Obata (FRA/JPN) 00 ret. (Bartoli right eye injury - 40-15 first game)

hmm eye injury for Marion?! anyone know what happened? did she get smacked in the eye? anyway, it doesnt sound good if she had to retire because of it, especially in the first game :eek: weirdd..

Hope it doenst affect her singles, get well soom Marion.

- L i n a -
Feb 19th, 2004, 01:17 AM
I find it quite scary...

The only possible cause of an eye injury is to be drilled by the ball, or your partners' racquet.

To retire immediately from an eye injury sounds like it could be serious.

Keith
Feb 19th, 2004, 01:44 AM
I once retired after getting smacked in the eye with a ball. It hurts!

AjdeNate!
Feb 19th, 2004, 02:16 AM
I got hit in the eye with a ball once and had to retire - not because of injury, but I lost a contact lens and couldn't see very well. Now I always take a spare pair with me. :p

fOxYLiCiOuS
Feb 19th, 2004, 02:22 AM
I know and saw Marion get hit in the doubles at this years Australian Open, im not sure where it hit her but she was playing against Huber/Sugyama and I think the ball hit her, maybe its from that?

Berlin_Calling
Feb 19th, 2004, 02:27 AM
I know and saw Marion get hit in the doubles at this years Australian Open, im not sure where it hit her but she was playing against Huber/Sugyama and I think the ball hit her, maybe its from that?
hmm pretty sure its not. getting hit by the ball in doubles is normal. but getting blasted in the eye isnt :(

fOxYLiCiOuS
Feb 19th, 2004, 02:32 AM
hmm pretty sure its not. getting hit by the ball in doubles is normal. but getting blasted in the eye isnt :(
Oh whatever, I know for a fact she did get hit near the head in her doubles @ Aus Open, same as Safina got smaked in her ear and it was bleeding :rolleyes:

azza
Feb 19th, 2004, 02:37 AM
im not being mean but thats a funny injury :lol:

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 19th, 2004, 03:31 AM
I got hit in the eye once during the warm up, it actually REALLY REALLY hurt and it affected me from playing my best tennis.

PatM04
Feb 19th, 2004, 03:33 AM
I got hit in the eye one time and I thought I was gonna die. It really hurts!

Masharapova
Feb 19th, 2004, 03:40 AM
14 anyone know what happened? did she get smacked in the eye?

:rolls:

Fantastic
Feb 19th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Dinara Safina was hit with a Conchita Martinez smash at the Oz Open. The ball hit square against her ear, and the earring Dinara was wearing split her skin, causing it to bleed.

Getting hit in the eye with a ball would be like getting punched in the face. I'd retire from the match immediately to get it iced and not risk permanent damage. Ouch.