PDA

View Full Version : Patrick McEnroe, Garrison named U.S. Olympic tennis coaches

Rocketta
Feb 19th, 2004, 01:32 AM
Patrick McEnroe, Garrison named U.S. Olympic tennis coaches
February 18, 2004

WHITE PLAINS, New York (Ticker) - Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe and Federation Cup captain Zina Garrison have been named coaches for the United States men's and women's tennis teams that will compete in the 2004 Summer Olympics.

The appointments were announced Wednesday by the United States Tennis Association.

"Zina and Patrick each possess that rare combination of heart, character and competitive fire that define leadership and are synonymous with the Olympic ideal," USTA president Alan Schwartz said.

The Summer Olympics take place August 13-28 in Athens, Greece.

McEnroe, 37, has been the U.S. Davis Cup captain since 2001, leading the team to a semifinal finish in 2002. He won one singles title and 16 doubles crowns during his nine years on the ATP Tour.

"We have the nucleus of a very competitive international men's team who will all be medal contenders," McEnroe said. "Our corps of young American men have bonded as members of the U.S. Davis Cup team and I know we will relish the opportunity to compete in Athens." Garrison, 40, was named Federation Cup captain in December after serving as a coach since 1999. She was a member of the 1988 and 1992 U.S. Olympic teams, winning a doubles gold medal with Pam Shriver in 1988. "I'm honored to be selected as the Olympic coach," Garrsison said. "Some of my fondest memories are from the Olympics and the incomparable thrill of winning a gold medal."

Rocketta
Feb 19th, 2004, 01:35 AM
Congrats Zina...:bounce:

Patrick....:rolleyes:

raquel
Feb 19th, 2004, 02:43 AM
Congrats Zina :) Zina was a great player for many years and won an Olympic gold but
I agree Rocketta, Patrick being captain is pathetic. Let's face it, he is only there because of who his brother is. It is almost the equivalent of Chris Evert's sister being made captain. John McEnroe would be better for this kind of thing.

Rocketta
Feb 19th, 2004, 04:20 AM
Congrats Zina :) Zina was a great player for many years and won an Olympic gold but
I agree Rocketta, Patrick being captain is pathetic. Let's face it, he is only there because of who his brother is. It is almost the equivalent of Chris Evert's sister being made captain. John McEnroe would be better for this kind of thing.
The funniest thing is John McEnroe would probably be the first one to call someone on riding their brother's coat tail...;)

Oh Well apperantly Patrick McEnroe is the only one capable of coaching in America...:lol: