PDA

View Full Version : Ok so is Venus Williams #1 or what??

Dawn Marie
Feb 18th, 2002, 09:00 AM
I see some threads that say she is #1 and some that say she still needs to make a semifinal in Dubai? I have been away from tennis for awhile and would like to know.

Crazy Canuck
Feb 18th, 2002, 09:02 AM
I was under the understanding that Jenns points would drop off, and that would leave Venus as number 1 by a few points regardless of her performance in Dubai.

I wouldn't mind having that officially verified though - cause I'm yet to find any articles that say anything about it

Dawn Marie
Feb 18th, 2002, 09:05 AM
But everyone who does the rankings have stated that Venus needed a Semifinal win in Dubai. I mean what would possibly change the scenario from the previous statement regarding Venus winnind Dubai? I so want to see it verified!!:)

mn73
Feb 18th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Women's Look Forward: Week of February 18
Posted on 2/17/2002 at 5:45 PM

The Rankings

The day is finally at hand. Venus Williams will be #1 next week.

It doesn't even matter whether she plays Dubai. The combination of her win at Antwerp, and Jennifer Capriati's failure to play anything since the Australian Open, means that Venus will grab the #1 spot. At least for a week. Capriati is defending points from Oklahoma City -- except that she isn't defending them. Once they come off, Venus is #1.

There remains the question of how long she can keep it. Capriati will have another chance at Scottsdale, and Venus has semifinal points from Indian Wells which, based on current commitment lists, she will not attempt to defend. Venus also has the Ericsson title to defend. Venus's chances of keeping the #1 ranking may depend on her results at Dubai.

The other potential change in the Top Five is also the result of a non-defence. Martina Hingis is defending Dubai champion, and she isn't coming back. That will allow Kim Clijsters to take the #4 ranking, pushing Hingis to #5 -- her lowest ranking in more than five years. Hingis, however, will regain #4 at Scottsdale when Lindsay Davenport's points come off, and she could very well earn the #3 ranking. If she doesn't, she will almost certainly earn it at Indian Wells.

There probably won't be movement in the rest of the Top Ten. The only players between #6 and #10 who are playing are Monica Seles and Amelie Mauresmo. Mauresmo is 500 points behind #9 Serena Williams; she can't move up. But she's also more than 450 points ahead of #11 Sandrine Testud, and so cannot move down.

Seles, far behind Hingis and Clijsters and with the Oklahoma City title to defend, cannot move up. An early loss could cause her to fall behind #7 Justine Henin, #8 Jelena Dokic, and even #9 Serena Williams. But while she might lose early enough to fall behind Henin and Dokic, in this draw it seems nearly certain that she will stay ahead of Serena.

Dawn Marie
Feb 18th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Thank you Mark:) That was a great post you wrote.

Congrats to Venus Williams..:)

I really have to see the rankings to REALLY believe it !!!!!!!

tiger
Feb 18th, 2002, 10:23 AM
until the other players are alive

SHE WON`T BE THE NR 1

never

GO LINDSAY GO :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

TeeRexx
Feb 18th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Yes, Tiger the Moron, VENUS will not officially be number one until Feb. 25, 2002.:p :p :wavey:

A4
Feb 18th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Oh, I didn't know tiger was a moron.

Takes a dinosaur to be a connoiseur of tigers. ;)

Thanx for telling me.

irma
Feb 18th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Venus had to breath deep when they asked if she felt like the true number 1 after the match yesterday!. I think she knew the interviewer hoped for an arrogant answer but she didn`t fell for it, thumbs up for Venus :D

joe
Feb 18th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Congratulations Ms Vee!!!

Williams Rulez
Feb 18th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Is it so difficult to understand?

Venus will be number one on 25th Feb regardless. Period.