PDA

View Full Version : Julia Vakulenko: The hardest hitter right now?

Doraemon
Feb 18th, 2004, 05:39 PM
I saw her play in Tokyo a few weeks ago where she lost to Obata in str8 sets in the first round. I was just surprised how hard she hit the ball. I think pace wise, her balls were faster than Lindsay's. Of course they were not as accurate but still she hits the ball damn hard and flat off of both wings, especially her forehand is huge. I saw Maria's match right after Julia's and although Maria is known to be a hard hitter, she didn't look like that as my eyse were so used to Julia's hard hitting game. Anyways, I don't think she's top 10 material or anything big but just as far as her shots go, she's one of the hardest hitters I have ever seen. By the way, her service motion is very weird. She doesn't rotate her body but still manages to generate so much power and pace on the ball. She hit a lot of service winners as well as double faults. I think she's one of the very unique players on the tour now.

DA FOREHAND
Feb 18th, 2004, 05:55 PM
She lost in straights, what difference does it make?

Brαm
Feb 18th, 2004, 05:58 PM
I saw her live last Saturday (Antwerp qualifying).
She didn't impress me in her 4-6 6-3 6-2 win over Stefanie De Laet (no.805!!!!)...

Stefanie did impress me, however :)

Doraemon
Feb 18th, 2004, 06:06 PM
My point is she hits the ball damn hard whether she's a good player or not. I don't think she's gonna be a big thing but the way she hits the ball is very interesting. I think she's right up there as far as the pace of her balls is concerned.

BK4ever
Feb 18th, 2004, 06:27 PM
yeah she hits the ball hard..now if she could learn to hit it in the court consistently

vogus
Feb 18th, 2004, 06:27 PM
She hits pretty hard but for sure not the hardest hitter in the game

LindsayRulez
Feb 18th, 2004, 08:11 PM
She does hit the ball hard but without control, not a good combo

mboyle
Feb 18th, 2004, 08:25 PM
hard but not the hardest. And actually, I think she is headed to being a top 40 consistently.

- L i n a -
Feb 18th, 2004, 08:26 PM
No way. I love Julia, but she's not even amongst the hardest hitters on tour.

ßcoene
Feb 18th, 2004, 08:30 PM
From TV I remembered she hits everything hard, but makes a lot off mistakes. That was a conclusion after only seeing one match, wich is not enough off course.

I saw her live and I wasn't really impressed with how hard she hits, she doesn't hit soft of course. But I don't think she's one of the hardest hitters. She did play well, not many mistakes.

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 18th, 2004, 08:32 PM
She's not even close to the hardest hitter on tour:

Seles, Davenport, Dokic, Lucic, Serena, Venus all hit harder...and there's more...

the cat
Feb 18th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Julia may have good power. But she doesn't have great power. And she definately has the softest moonballs on the WTA Tour! ;) She's the player who moonballed Daniela Hantuchova at last years U.S. Open which brought Darling Dani :angel: to tears. :sad: A player with great power does not resort to moonballs.

*JR*
Feb 18th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Perhaps hard enough to Pepper Patty! ;)

Gowza
Feb 18th, 2004, 08:58 PM
she does hit very hard. i remember watching her play justine at wimbledon last year. she was playing quite well in the first set, the commentators were surprised how well she was playing. actually they said if she hit like this all the time she would be in the top 5 (that was said during the first set of the match, the 2nd set was totally different). she does hit it hard and i guess the potential is there, its just a matter of being able to master it and mold it. i hope she doesnt fall into the stevenson category where ppl always bash her or make fun of her and say she has no talent. the talent is there but some ppl just cant fullfill it, that doesnt mean they have no talent.

Doraemon
Feb 19th, 2004, 01:27 AM
From TV I remembered she hits everything hard, but makes a lot off mistakes. That was a conclusion after only seeing one match, wich is not enough off course.

I saw her live and I wasn't really impressed with how hard she hits, she doesn't hit soft of course. But I don't think she's one of the hardest hitters. She did play well, not many mistakes.

I think the Julia I saw was a different player than the one you saw. She must have beeen boing for her shots more than she usually does or something. On that particular day, she was definitely amongst the hardest hitters on the tour and she was extremely inconsistent which is why I'm saying she didn't impresse me as a good player.

She definitely hit (at least on that day) harder than Dokic.

rated_next
Feb 19th, 2004, 02:46 AM
Julia does hit the ball very hard, but she always mixes it up nicely with the occasional moonball.

She is very inconsistent - she can lose to players like Rampre, and then demolish good players.

fOxYLiCiOuS
Feb 19th, 2004, 03:00 AM
If only Martina had the power, she would be #1 for sure! with plenty of GS!!

skanky~skanketta
Feb 19th, 2004, 03:56 AM
still, i like her second serve.

esquímaux
Feb 19th, 2004, 04:11 AM
She lost in straights, what difference does it make?

I agree, anyone can hit the ball hard. It's a matter of consistency that separates the pros ;)

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 19th, 2004, 04:49 AM
She's good. Ok power. Would like see about a 30 spot rise in the ranks this year. Top 50 would be nice, but one step at a time.

Dymension
Feb 19th, 2004, 05:22 AM
She does hit the ball hard, imagine how good she would be if only she were consistent. :sad:

bis2806
Feb 19th, 2004, 05:26 AM
i saw her play against henin at wimby or US open if i'm not mistaken.... i was really surprised with the way she served because it's pretty hard :) but too bad she's inconsistent on her groundstrokes...

Jakeev
Feb 19th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Julia's main problem from what I have seen is that she does hit throught the ball as well as she should. She hits the ball late so often that her groundies look rather dull and unimpressive when she is striking the ball.

I would put her more in the league of Kristina Brandi and Tamarine Tanasugarn in term of the fact she seems to be in the middle between being a hard hitter and a counterpuncher.

William Hunt
Feb 19th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Sprem hits harder. But the two fastest aces I've seen this week in Antwerp were from Sprem AND Vakulenko : 168 km./h.

Gowza
Feb 19th, 2004, 09:14 AM
i have seen vakulenko play but not sprem, vakulenko hits realy hard, like the sort of pace davenport hits with. now i was told yesterday that sprem hits the ball with power like a myskina or zvonareva so im not sure what to think of sprem coz now WH says sprem hits harder than vakulenko. only 168km/h? thats surprising because vakulenko can quite regularly hit over 110mph (usually her top serve in a match is 113/112mph)

Doraemon
Feb 19th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Julia's main problem from what I have seen is that she does hit throught the ball as well as she should. She hits the ball late so often that her groundies look rather dull and unimpressive when she is striking the ball.

I would put her more in the league of Kristina Brandi and Tamarine Tanasugarn in term of the fact she seems to be in the middle between being a hard hitter and a counterpuncher.

Is this a joke or what? Julia's groudies are universes heavier than Tammy's or what the hell Brandi? oh man. The Julia I saw was no way a counter puncher. She's got aweful footwork and she can hit the ball hard only when she can afford to stand in the right position.

Doraemon
Feb 19th, 2004, 10:46 AM
i have seen vakulenko play but not sprem, vakulenko hits realy hard, like the sort of pace davenport hits with. now i was told yesterday that sprem hits the ball with power like a myskina or zvonareva so im not sure what to think of sprem coz now WH says sprem hits harder than vakulenko. only 168km/h? thats surprising because vakulenko can quite regularly hit over 110mph (usually her top serve in a match is 113/112mph)

That's exaclty what I saw in her. She may have been going for her shots more than usual but pace wise (like I said many times now), she was in the same league as the likes of Lindsay and the Willy sisters. Well, her ground strokes are more similar to Lindsay's than the sisters' as she hits so flat. I know she could afford to hit freely as her opponent was not a dictator (Saori) so it would be a different story against someone like Lindsay. I just felt like I saw a Lucic in her.

crazillo
Feb 19th, 2004, 10:51 AM
I think she hits hard, but not that hard as Davenport. She has absolutely no consistency and is never on for more than one set. IF that would be better, we would have the first Top-20-Player from Ukraine.

Doraemon
Feb 19th, 2004, 10:56 AM
I don't understand the reactions of some ppl here. I'm not talking about how good a player Julia is and this is merely about how hard she can hit. Everyone knows by now that she's an incosistent player and no need to point that out any more.

crazillo
Feb 19th, 2004, 11:01 AM
OK, she hits hard.
End of the story.

Brαm
Feb 19th, 2004, 02:25 PM
OK, she hits hard.
End of the story.

No seriously, over a dozen players hit harder than Julia Vakulenko!

Darop.
Feb 19th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Ummm, she can hit hard all she wants, but if she doesnt LEARN how to run, she could even hit a ball at 10000 mph she'll still lose to Obata over and over again.

TatiAnnahølic
Feb 19th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Julia may have good power. But she doesn't have great power. And she definately has the softest moonballs on the WTA Tour! ;) She's the player who moonballed Daniela Hantuchova at last years U.S. Open which brought Darling Dani :angel: to tears. :sad: A player with great power does not resort to moonballs.don't be surprised by that she trains in Spain :p

Fyndh0rnElf
Feb 19th, 2004, 05:50 PM
PLEASE!! :mad: Serena and Venus and Pierce hit the ball 10 times harder than this Vaku girl(boy?)

Even Hantu hits the ball a lot harder than Vaku

vogus
Feb 19th, 2004, 07:47 PM
QUOTE: "Seles, Davenport, Dokic, Lucic, Serena, Venus all hit harder...and there's more..." - monicAnna

ok... but LUCIC??

still living in Anna K's glory days i see... need you be reminded, the 90's ended 5 years ago.

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 19th, 2004, 07:52 PM
QUOTE: "Seles, Davenport, Dokic, Lucic, Serena, Venus all hit harder...and there's more..." - monicAnna

ok... but LUCIC??

still living in Anna K's glory days i see... need you be reminded, the 90's ended 5 years ago.
ok....but does that change the fact that lucic hits harder? no.

vogus
Feb 19th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Lucic HIT (past tense) harder. I doubt that at the present time, Lucic HITS harder - she's out of tennis. The title of this thread contained the words, "right now."

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 19th, 2004, 08:01 PM
she is still technically on the WTA Tour, meaning she hasn't retired YET. there for she fits in the 'right now' category at this moment...end of discussion.

vogus
Feb 19th, 2004, 08:04 PM
end of discussion, yes, because i'm right. Whether she's officially retired or not, Lucic does not currently hit as hard as Julia Vakulenko.

Havok
Feb 19th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Lucic HIT (past tense) harder. I doubt that at the present time, Lucic HITS harder - she's out of tennis. The title of this thread contained the words, "right now."wrong. he listed more than one person. had he been only talking about Lucic, then he would have had to write hits, but since he listed more than one person, you have to use the word hit regardless of past present or future tense;)
and for the record, i would think that Lucic still smacks it harder than Julia these days

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 19th, 2004, 08:05 PM
end of discussion, yes, because i'm right. Whether she's officially retired or not, Lucic does not currently hit as hard as Julia Vakulenko.
put them on a court right now for a match and ull see who hits harder...end of discussion.

Jakeev
Feb 19th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Is this a joke or what? Julia's groudies are universes heavier than Tammy's or what the hell Brandi? oh man. The Julia I saw was no way a counter puncher. She's got aweful footwork and she can hit the ball hard only when she can afford to stand in the right position.

Do you think I was joking? Guess we all have a different perception of what kind of game Julia really has.