PDA

View Full Version : My problem...need opinions!

PatM04
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:33 AM
Ok..I know a lot of you don't really care but I am hoping I can get some advice out of some of you. OK, my freshamn year of high school I played #5 on my school team. Well 1-4 graduated so my sophomore year I had to play #1. The whole year I won one match because of inexperience. Well the summer after my sophomore year this guy who was going to be a freshman started comming to our clinics and began to improve very rapidly. Well my junior year (last year) I played number one on the team and had a 9-5 record. He played number 2 and had about the same record. In around October he decided he wanted to be number 1 this year and started working hard which was fine because I enjoy a challenge. Well he got this new coach who told him to lob me and slice me all the time. Well thats all he does now. Well to make a long story short he has beaten me and taken my number one position during my last year on the team:sad:. Today we had our first match and it depressed me so much to play number two and watch him play number one. He also split with the guy (who I drillled last year when we played). The other thing is when he plays these guys he doesn't play them the way he plays me...he blasts the ball. He only lobs and slices against me just to throw me off so he can play number 1. Then he gets in a match and tries to hit with these guys and can't do it. Everyone on our team thinks I should be number one and have asked me to talk to my coach but I don't want to seem selfish and desperate (which I am). Everyone has sympathy for me because it is my senior year on the team and last year to play organized tennis most likely. To make matters worse he is just about the most annoying, rude, and immature person in the world. I really don't want to sound this selfish but I want to be number 1 really badly and don't know what to do. Do you guys agree and what do you think I should do? Thanks for any help and please don't be afraid to say that you think I should just get over it and play number 2. Thanks

VW#1
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:48 AM
I think you should really try and talk to the coach and tell him everything you said but in a nice and calm manner. If what you say is true about how he plays you versus the other people, then explain to your coach that being number one isn't about being the best player on your team, but who is going to win the most matches against the opposing team. And just as a side note, if the coach doesn't agree with you and keeps you at number two, try your hardest to still enjoy the experience and have fun. It's your last year, and later you'll be glad that you made the best of the situation, then looking back and wished that you had just let it go and gave it your all no matter the rank you had. I hope that helped :)

PatM04
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:53 AM

TennisHack
Feb 18th, 2004, 04:48 AM
Talk to your coach, especially if the rest of the team is on your side. Tell him to watch this guy play in a meet and hopefully that will prove your point about him playing you differently than the actual opponents. Too bad he hasn't figured out that lobbing/slicing is the antidote to the power game ;)

I know, as a senior you want to be selfish and make it your best year, but as the previous poster stated, you have to make the best out of your situation. Though, I really don't see why you can't pull rank and open your coach's eyes.

Best of luck this season :)

PatM04
Feb 18th, 2004, 04:50 AM

QUEENLINDSAY
Feb 18th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Talk to your coach!!! we cannot actually do anything about it!!!!
Bring it on!!!!!! to your coach!!!!!!

slice
Feb 18th, 2004, 07:39 AM
IMO just lob and slice back to him next time you play. ive been in a similar situation before and if they r pissing you off and taking your ranking which you believe is yours, just use scare-tactics back at him. if you can moonball, just do that so you can get a short ball and whack a winner.... best option...

but in answer to your question, yeh, talk to your coach and see what he/she thinks :wavey:

bis2806
Feb 18th, 2004, 12:44 PM
i really think that, other than talking to your coach about it, you could plan a strategy against that opponent and try and overthrow him with that.. if all else doesn't work, all you could do is to try your best and give the most you can in all the matches against him..... and don't be intimidated by the fact that he's now in the no.1 position but stay positive and look ahead onto the good side :) ask me more if you need to hehe...

switz
Feb 18th, 2004, 12:55 PM
you sound like a nice bloke but i say instead of going and whinging to your coach just let your results in competition do the talking. if he losing to players you can beat and you go and win all your matches convincing then any decent coach will recognise that it makes absolutely no difference whether or not he can beat you. i encountered exactly the same situation when i was playing for my school a couple of years ago. i made the 1st IV (that what we call it) in year 9 at number 4 and was number 1 by year 11, then in year 12 a little shit came along thinking he was the best thing since sliced bread so i just let him play number 1 as i was tennis captain. he lost 6-0, 6-0 and i won in straight sets and next week i was number 1 again. i should mention that he was playing todd reid who just made the 3rd round of the australian open so i really didn't mind switching with him because todd had already kicked my arse one to many times for my liking.

so i say concentrate on yourself and not him. talking coaches etc only ends up making you look bad in other peoples eyes and you probably won't even feel like you deserved it in the end.

TennisHack
Feb 18th, 2004, 09:30 PM
so i say concentrate on yourself and not him. talking coaches etc only ends up making you look bad in other peoples eyes and you probably won't even feel like you deserved it in the end.
In high school social status is indeed important, but ultimately it's up the coach who plays what position. Any coach worth his salt will not keep a losing player in the #1 position for long, but sometimes coaches can be a little farsighted about these things ;)

If Pat is planning to continue his play in college, it would help to have a decent season senior year :)

PatM04
Feb 18th, 2004, 10:26 PM
I actually did have a college coach call me the other day so I am considering playing college tennis.