PDA

View Full Version : Henin-Hardenne: 3 Slams and still no TW cover!

Leo_DFP
Feb 18th, 2004, 12:46 AM
Am I the only one who's shocked at Henin-Hardenne's absence (still) upon the cover of Tennis Week? 3 Slams and the year-end #1 ranking, and yet she continues to be rejected in favor of other players - mostly men. Gracing the covers for the those 3 GS Wrap-Up issues were Ferrero, Roddick, and, most recently, Safin (he didn't even win!); and upon the last issue of 2003 was Clijsters (for her WTA Champs win, I suppose). And usually TW likes to keep it pretty even with men and women for their special GS issue covers, but the last 5 Slams have all featured men on the top page. This isn't some personal rift between Justine and TW because they did give her a feature interview in one issue last summer. So then, what's the deal?

azza
Feb 18th, 2004, 01:29 AM
:lol:

davenport_1
Feb 18th, 2004, 01:55 AM
How much does a mag cover actually mean?

for-sure
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:26 AM
TW: not much

VW#1
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:41 AM
I'm not trying to start a fight, but lots of people don't like her. I think she is definitely well respected, anyone who wins 3 of the last 4 slams deserves that regardless of the field, but I think there is a genuine, and at least some what valid thought that she is yet to prove she deserves the label best player in the world. She has proven she has the metal to beat Serena, even if only clay, but still hasn't shown that against Venus, who at the worst was considered the 2nd best player in the world by most at the time of her injury. Granted they haven't played in a while but it rings true. Also her being accused of gamesmanship on more than one occasion definitely brings into account what kind of role model she is. I mean the Williams Sisters have the popularity and the fact they are black in what is largely considered a white sport. Kim, is very nice and sweet. Lindsay and Jennifer are the veterans, what does Justine have? I'm not saying this is what I think, I just think this is how most people who watch tennis regularly struggle with. She is the best player in the world vs The Williams sisters haven't played or been healthy. She has a fire to compete vs she's a cheater. I think she just isn't as marketable as the other top players because of her "questionable" image at least here in the USA

Volcana
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:50 AM
a) Which women HAVE been on the cover? Has Lindsay? Has Jenn? (The other 3 slam winners.)

b) How many women have made it BECAUSE OF THEIR TENNIS?

I'll bet you in most cases, they got it for excellent tennis AND some story line that might sell a few extra mags.

Jenn/child prodigy/drugs/burn-out

Venus/child prodigy/sister/Black

Serena/child prodigy/sister/Black

Martina Hingis/child prodigy

Hmmmm.. this 'child prodiigy' thing stands out.

Chris Evert had the whole Ice Princess/America's Sweetheart thing/wierd style thing

And I'm sure not all of those players even MADE the cover of TW. Point is, Justine is 'just' a very good tennis player. She doesn't even have a GS winning boyfriend like Kim. There's nothing about Justine, other than winning tennis, that sells magazines. And winning tennis is NOT why women get the cover of TW. It's gotta be 'winning tennis AND ....'

for-sure
Feb 18th, 2004, 03:04 AM
Anna has made the cover multiple times...(hides...runs away)

faste5683
Feb 18th, 2004, 03:06 AM
I'm not trying to start a fight, but lots of people don't like her.

:haha:

:wavey:

F-R-E-A-K
Feb 18th, 2004, 03:07 AM
okay then :P

VW#1
Feb 18th, 2004, 03:09 AM

yeah i guess that wasn't the best opening line was it? lol

faste5683
Feb 18th, 2004, 03:11 AM
yeah i guess that wasn't the best opening line was it? lol

:hug:

Greenout
Feb 18th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Who cares! She's made alot of covers around the globe. The face along
with Roddick of the official WTA/ATP guidebook :)

Crazy Canuck
Feb 18th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Hey, I can't fault them for wanting to put purdy Ferrero on the cover of their RG issue ;)

Crazy Canuck
Feb 18th, 2004, 05:12 AM
Leo - a poster at tennisweek asked about this, and the answer she got was "it's hard to find a good picture of her". Janie, if she reads this, can verify that ;)

Greenout
Feb 18th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Tennis Week is American. It's what they perceive would interest
their USA based readers. VW#1 is the average reader of Tennis Week.

ys
Feb 18th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Henin-Hardenne: so many fine acting performances, and still no weekly Movie Magazine cover..

decemberlove
Feb 18th, 2004, 05:41 AM
most recently, Safin (he didn't even win!);
he's hot, justine's not.

QUEENLINDSAY
Feb 18th, 2004, 06:04 AM
I think Lindsay and Jenn has been on the Cover, I cant remember when?

Brian Stewart
Feb 18th, 2004, 06:43 AM
The covers of the past 2 years worth of Tennis Week:

1-24: Kournikova (Oz preview issue)
2-14: Capriati (Oz wrapup)
3-7: Roddick, Blake, and Fish
4-4: Hewitt (IW wrapup)
4-25: Agassi (Miami wrapup; Serena beat top 3 seeds)
5-16: RG photo collage (RG preview, Fed Cup, Am. Isl., Charleston wrapups)
5-30: Illustration of 2 men playing at Wimbledon (Wimb preview, Euro. clay wrapup)
6-27: Serena (RG wrapup)
7-25: Hewitt (Wimb. wrapup)
8-8: Dent (Hall of Fame inductions)
9-1: pic of US Open ticket (USO preview, some summer hardcourt wrapups)
9-26: Sampras (USO wrapup)
10-24: pics of over a dozen USTA board members
11-28: pics of hands holding some tennis balls with the ATP logo (fall indoor wrapup, including Fed Cup semis and final, and women's YEC)

Dec.02/Jan 03: Serena and Venus (men's YEC, Davis Cup finals wrapup, Oz '03 preview)
2-11: Agassi (Oz wrapup, "Serena Slam")
3-11: Hingis (retirement)
4-8: Hewitt (IW wrapup)
5-6: RG illustration (RG preview, Miami and FCC wrapup)
6-24: Ferrero (RG wrapup, Wimb. preview)
7-22: Federer (Wimb. wrapup)
8-19: Venus, from behind, with fashion question (USO preview)
9-23: Roddick (USO wrapup)
10-21: Serena/Capriati split cover (Gibson tribute inside)
11-25: Clijsters (YEC wrapup)
Dec.03/Jan.04: photo collage

2-17: Safin (Oz wrapup)

3 slams and year-end #1 for Henin, yet no cover. It can't be her nationality, as there have been as many covers devoted to non-American men as to American women. It's just a matter of their cover choices (some of which have been questionable over the last few years)

skanky~skanketta
Feb 18th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Leo - a poster at tennisweek asked about this, and the answer she got was "it's hard to find a good picture of her". Janie, if she reads this, can verify that ;)
pffft!there are so many good justine pics!

QUEENLINDSAY
Feb 18th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Well Justine is not marketable!!!!

Crazy Canuck
Feb 18th, 2004, 08:15 AM
pffft!there are so many good justine pics!
Tell that to TennisWeek ;)

Anyways, the answer to this is obvious, isn't it? It's not about merit, it's about $$$. In which case you can't blame them for putting a player like Safin on the cover, now can you?

Greenout
Feb 18th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Untrue. Look at the list of covers from TENNIS JOURNAL from Japan.
on the bottom of the page. Below the latest issue with Ai on the cover.

This mag costs 680 Yen, which is about $6.40 in US currency.
This isn't some crappy internet/newsletter.
Obviously Justine can sell mags. She was on Nov. 2003 cover.

http://www.skijournal.co.jp/tennis/

Crazy Canuck
Feb 18th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Untrue. Look at the list of covers from TENNIS JOURNAL from Japan.
on the bottom of the page. Below the latest issue with Ai on the cover.

This mag costs 680 Yen, which is about $6.40 in US currency.
This isn't some crappy internet/newsletter.
Obviously Justine can sell mags. She was on Nov. 2003 cover.

http://www.skijournal.co.jp/tennis/
Yes, but that isn't exactly an American market, now is it? Tennisweek is sold primarily to Americans, and that is the market I was talking about. They obviously put Safin on over Justine for some reason or another, and money was the only logical conclusion I could come to.

I LIKE Justine, btw. I just don't have a problem with her being passed over for American magazine covers. Why should I? She doesn't.

Greenout
Feb 18th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Yes, but that isn't exactly an American market, now is it? Tennisweek is sold primarily to Americans, and that is the market I was talking about. They obviously put Safin on over Justine for some reason or another, and money was the only logical conclusion I could come to.

I LIKE Justine, btw. I just don't have a problem with her being passed over for American magazine covers. Why should I? She doesn't.

Well. I said earlier that she has alot of covers on mags out of the
USA; but some of the others kept harping on the fact that nobody
wants her on mag covers: period. Just wanted to get the facts
right here. The Justinator isn't loved among general or casual
American tennis readers/players or viewers. She has a smaller
core audience of admirers, sort of like the band the Strokes, who are
bigger overseas.

Peace

tennnisfannn
Feb 18th, 2004, 09:24 AM
In the Austarlain Tennis mag, she was on for the after FO wrap up, but the storyline centred more on her contraversail win over serena. Since then thay have featured the men, Philipousis after wimby for obvious reasons. then Roddick and now Federer.

SJW
Feb 18th, 2004, 11:58 AM
he's hot, justine's not.
aint that the truth.

Safin is good looking :hearts:

Nemesis
Feb 18th, 2004, 12:09 PM
I think Justine couldn't care less ... If people are that superficial to only buy magazines with beautiful tennis players :rolleyes: Than be it ... I don't think Justine cries at night that American magazines don't want her on their covers ... And if it's not her look, than it's men's tennis being more popular (Juanqui, Roger, Andy, Marat) ...

As long as there are people that enjoy her game ... And that game almost double bagelled cover girl Anna the previous year at AO :p And that game also beat Anna the year before at the AO when dear Anna was on the Oz preview issue of Tennis Week ...

servenrichie
Feb 18th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Henin-Hardenne: so many fine acting performances, and still no weekly Movie Magazine cover..:lol: :tape: :lol: :lol:

servenrichie
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:13 PM
I think Justine couldn't care less ... If people are that superficial to only buy magazines with beautiful tennis players :rolleyes: Than be it ... I don't think Justine cries at night that American magazines don't want her on their covers ... And if it's not her look, than it's men's tennis being more popular (Juanqui, Roger, Andy, Marat) ...

As long as there are people that enjoy her game ... And that game almost double bagelled cover girl Anna the previous year at AO :p And that game also beat Anna the year before at the AO when dear Anna was on the Oz preview issue of Tennis Week ...Oh she cares, I assure you. Everybody likes to get recognition for his/her work. If you get overlooked, that aint pretty. It is like that for human beings, correct me if I am wrong, but I assume she is human:tape: :lol:

for-sure
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Maybe they want to put her on the R.G. preview cover for 2004. Ever thought of that?

for-sure
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Oh she cares, I assure you. Everybody likes to get recognition for his/her work. If you get overlooked, that aint pretty. It is like that for human beings, correct me if I am wrong, but I assume she is human:tape: :lol:

I think 3 grand slam wins and the #1 ranking is recognition enough.
I don't think she grew up hoping to be on the cover of TW ;).

pigam
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Oh she cares, I assure you. Everybody likes to get recognition for his/her work. If you get overlooked, that aint pretty. It is like that for human beings, correct me if I am wrong, but I assume she is human:tape: :lol:
Actually she isn't she's an übermensch :rolleyes:
She isn't overlooked. She's not a model she is a great tennisplayer :wavey:

Greenout
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:25 PM
I think 3 grand slam wins and the #1 ranking is recognition enough.
I don't think she grew up hoping to be on the cover of TW ;).

Forget it. Let's not waste our time here among the HHH's and trolls.
There's better things going on. :)

servenrichie
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:38 PM
I don't think she grew up hoping to be on the cover of TW ;).I dont think that was the focus of other players who make it to the cover of TW. How do I explain, it is the "butter on the bread" and I think TW is being extremely unfair, simply because they couldnt find a good picture of Henin:p :lol:

Crazy_Fool
Feb 18th, 2004, 05:12 PM
I'm not trying to start a fight, but lots of people don't like her. I think she is definitely well respected, anyone who wins 3 of the last 4 slams deserves that regardless of the field, but I think there is a genuine, and at least some what valid thought that she is yet to prove she deserves the label best player in the world.
That explains Kim being on the cover for winning YEC in an even less week field :confused:

Btw SJW, sorry but i cant work out whether you are a man or women(sorry for being ignorant)

Martian KC
Feb 18th, 2004, 05:28 PM

Apparently, you didn't see her with the grandslam trophies. That is what matters to her.

And you're a sad excuse for bandwidth. :o

servenrichie
Feb 18th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Apparently, you didn't see her with the grandslam trophies. That is what matters to her.

And you're a sad excuse for bandwidth. :oEh, no need to bare your vicious stained teeth at me. Yea, I saw her with the trophies and saw others with their trophies too. Others were honoured for getting those trophies, yet TW wants to convince us they cant find one single photo of Henin without the cold sores, that have become a part of her???
No way, I dont believe that. There must be some nice photos around, if they search deeply:tape:
The other option of course is to take the photos with the cold sores. They are afterall a part of her:p

Are you refering to a network "bandwidth"? How is that supposed to describe this poster?:lol:

SJW
Feb 18th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Btw SJW, sorry but i cant work out whether you are a man or women(sorry for being ignorant)
i'm a female lol ;):o

DA FOREHAND
Feb 18th, 2004, 06:53 PM
I say get over it already! Many of the hi-fashion mags. won't put blk women on the cover because those mags sell less off the stand. When's the last time Vanity Fair had more than two black actresses on thier movie cover?

Try watching any r&b or hip-hop vid. and spotting women that aren't light brite damn near white w/long flowing hair. What do you think that says to darkskinned girls/women?

It's all about sales and marketing, fantasy. How many people wanna look like justine? Would you put a woman w/a cold sore on the cover of your magazine? Would you want someone widely regarded as unsportsmanlike on your sports magazine? I suppose they could darken her picture like they did O.J. make her look sinister and perhaps boost some sales.

TennisHack
Feb 18th, 2004, 09:39 PM
I don't know why the cover matters so much. Justine has gotten a ton of ink in both Tennis Week and Tennis (both US mags). Ferrero might have been on the cover of the RG issue but Justine had a huge chunk of the women's wrap-up devoted to her, and I'm sure she'll have a huge chunk of press in the AO one (haven't opened it yet).

I also didn't know Leo was such a big JHH fan. My how things change.

apoet29
Feb 18th, 2004, 09:48 PM
I think the cover of a magazine, particularly one known for covering tennis, is an honor of sorts because it acknowledges to a greater public a player's accomplishments. In the grand scheme of Justine's career, it is not a big deal, but considering that this is a young woman who has overcome a great deal in her life to become the world no. 1 and a three time grand slam champion, I would think that any tennis magazine worth its weight would put her on the cover.

Unfortunately, we live in a society where looks mean everything. Not to knock Kournikova, but Anna has not played tennis in 10 months and has not had great results for years, yet she still made the cover of the latest Lawn Tennis magazine. Why? Because Anna has that glamorous image that sells magazine covers. Even the photo used, doesn't show her as a tennis player, but shows her in an evening dress with a provocative look. Venus also made that magazines cover in December also posing in an evening dress, looking very panache. Justine does not have that image and thus, she does not sell magazine covers. Sad, but true.

TennisHack
Feb 18th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Justine does not have that image and thus, she does not sell magazine covers. Sad, but true.
As far as I know, Tennis Week is subscription-only. Personally, I don't want to buy a magazine if someone is on the front (which usually means there is quite a bit of space inside devoted to them) and then barely mentioned inside.

But you do have a point :)

DeDe4925
Feb 18th, 2004, 10:02 PM
I dont think that was the focus of other players who make it to the cover of TW. How do I explain, it is the "butter on the bread" and I think TW is being extremely unfair, simply because they couldnt find a good picture of Henin:p :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

DeDe4925
Feb 18th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Eh, no need to bare your vicious stained teeth at me. Yea, I saw her with the trophies and saw others with their trophies too. Others were honoured for getting those trophies, yet TW wants to convince us they cant find one single photo of Henin without the cold sores, that have become a part of her???
No way, I dont believe that. There must be some nice photos around, if they search deeply:tape:
The other option of course is to take the photos with the cold sores. They are afterall a part of her:p

Are you refering to a network "bandwidth"? How is that supposed to describe this poster?:lol:
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Crazy Canuck
Feb 18th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Nice post, apoet.

I don't really see Kim as being any better looking or more interesting than Justine, mind you. I suppose that she does have the "Hewitt" story going for her, though.

When it came to Roland Garros, I recall being amused that tennis magazines would actually have to put one of Ferrero (who gets about as much media love as I do) or Justine on the cover ;)

ys
Feb 18th, 2004, 10:18 PM
I don't really see Kim as being any better looking or more interesting than Justine, mind you. I suppose that she does have the "Hewitt" story going for her, though.
She is not better looking. She is just nice looking, as opposite to mean looking, she has a very pretty smile, she looks very positive. She looks a kind of person one'd like to be around. Unlike obsessed with winning Justine.

SerialKiller#69
Feb 18th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Who cares? I don't think she cares. I don't care. Fans don't care. Only haters care. :lol:

ys
Feb 18th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Who cares? I don't think she cares. I don't care. Fans don't care. Only haters care. Haters don't care too..:lol:

faste5683
Feb 18th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Unlike obsessed with winning Justine.

I KNEW that obsession with winning would get her into trouble...

DeDe4925
Feb 18th, 2004, 11:01 PM

I KNEW that obsession with winning would get her into trouble...

:lol:

Greenout
Feb 19th, 2004, 01:14 AM
Who cares? I don't think she cares. I don't care. Fans don't care. Only haters care. :lol:

Sad; but true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Leo_DFP
Feb 20th, 2004, 06:49 PM
I think Lindsay and Jenn has been on the Cover, I cant remember when?

Lindsay was on the cover after her Wimbledon '99 win (her only time, and it was a bad pic of her, too); Capriati has been on it a thousand times. :rolleyes:

Leo_DFP
Feb 20th, 2004, 06:54 PM
I don't know why the cover matters so much. Justine has gotten a ton of ink in both Tennis Week and Tennis (both US mags). Ferrero might have been on the cover of the RG issue but Justine had a huge chunk of the women's wrap-up devoted to her, and I'm sure she'll have a huge chunk of press in the AO one (haven't opened it yet).

I also didn't know Leo was such a big JHH fan. My how things change.

Errr, I never said I was a fan. I can't stand either of the Belgians anymore, although I used to be a tremendous fan of both. I just found it surprising, especially after the TW publisher's promise last fall to put Justine on the cover if she was able to keep up her success - which she obviously did. It's not a big deal, just wanted to spark a discussion about the reasons for Justine's publicity/marketing, or lackthereof, in the USA.

Mercury Rising
Feb 20th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Errr, I never said I was a fan. I can't stand either of the Belgians anymore, although I used to be a tremendous fan of both. Is it because they have success now? :lol:

miranda_lou
Feb 20th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Oh she cares, I assure you. Everybody likes to get recognition for his/her work. If you get overlooked, that aint pretty. It is like that for human beings, correct me if I am wrong, but I assume she is human
How do you know that? It's amazing how some people can read minds.:lol: Recognition for your "work" doesn't necessarily mean being on the cover of an American magazine, especially if your "work" is international. America is not the world. (And I'm an American and proud of it.)

I have never seen Tennis Week on any newstands nor even heard of it before this thread and I consider myself an avid tennis fan. In fact, I never see any tennis magazines on the newstands.:rolleyes: They are very difficult to find because the figure skating, badminton and other sport magazines crowd them out.:lol: At least in America that's the case.

I mean, really, who the heck cares who is on the cover of a tennis magazine that can't even be found anywhere.:confused: The only thing Justine needs to worry about is continuing to win the Slams. That's all that matters.:) If you win, people have to pay attention to you, even if they can't stand the sight of you.

As for putting the pretty, popular players on covers . . . Andre Agassi is the most popular player in the history of tennis. When his matches are on television, the ratings jump. BUT, according to that list posted by Brian:angel: (I love Brian), Agassi has been on only two TW covers in the past two years. So, what does that mean?:rolleyes:

hewittrok
Feb 20th, 2004, 09:39 PM

:wavey:just cus she winning big titles, is that it?

Hulet
Feb 20th, 2004, 10:36 PM
She is not better looking. She is just nice looking, as opposite to mean looking, she has a very pretty smile, she looks very positive. She looks a kind of person one'd like to be around.
I agree. I don't know why people keep on saying kim is not good looking. She is very, very charming with a well-proportioned athletic body. As you mentioned, she is also blessed with sweet smile - actually, too sweet. She had her share of unfortunate pictures, but overall I wouldn't mind looking at her pics on a magazine cover, and I am not a fan.

faste5683
Feb 20th, 2004, 11:06 PM
just cus she winning big titles, is that it?

Yup.

DeDe4925
Feb 20th, 2004, 11:29 PM
"I don't wish to offend the other women players on the circuit, but I learn more by watching the men play than I do watching the girls. You can't compare the two and I am not too shy to say that." Justine Henin-Hardenne

LOL Ed, you're not making it any easier for me to like this girl with this statement. Not only does she betray her very own sport, not to mention her own sex, but she calls the women "GIRLS" and the men "men". :wazzup:

TennisHack
Feb 21st, 2004, 05:10 AM
I have never seen Tennis Week on any newstands nor even heard of it before this thread and I consider myself an avid tennis fan. In fact, I never see any tennis magazines on the newstands.:rolleyes: They are very difficult to find because the figure skating, badminton and other sport magazines crowd them out.:lol: At least in America that's the case.Tennis Week = http://www.tennisweek.com (http://www.tennisweek.com/)

I guess it really is just a subscription-only mag ;) The only tennis magazine I see on newsstands in TENNIS, which often leaves a bit to be desired, but what can you do.

You've seen badminton magazines?! :eek:

Leo_DFP
Feb 21st, 2004, 10:39 PM
Is it because they have success now? :lol:Yeah, actually. Too much success. I swear I'm not the only one this happens to. ;) And there's another reason for it, too: Since the start of 2003, Pierce and Davenport are a combined 0-11 versus the Belgians (2-24) in sets. :o :mad: :rolleyes: :fiery: ;)

faste5683
Feb 21st, 2004, 11:56 PM
"I don't wish to offend the other women players on the circuit, but I learn more by watching the men play than I do watching the girls. You can't compare the two and I am not too shy to say that." Justine Henin-Hardenne

LOL Ed, you're not making it any easier for me to like this girl with this statement. Not only does she betray her very own sport, not to mention her own sex, but she calls the women "GIRLS" and the men "men". :wazzup:

Honey, I keep telling you...over and over...that these things are *translation*
errors. If Justine's quotes had been translated correctly, you would have LOVED
what she said. I guarantee it!

:bolt:

Mercury Rising
Feb 22nd, 2004, 12:44 PM
Yeah, actually. Too much success. I swear I'm not the only one this happens to. ;) And there's another reason for it, too: Since the start of 2003, Pierce and Davenport are a combined 0-11 versus the Belgians (2-24) in sets. :o :mad: :rolleyes: :fiery: ;)Yeah I had that with Pierce when she always defeated the Belgians, I like her more now ;)

Justineladivine
Feb 22nd, 2004, 01:43 PM
I'm really fed up with the kind of crap some people keep throwing at Justine.

(1) OK, I admit she may be obsessed with winning. So what? Is she the only one? Isn't this inherent in the sport she plays? Who ever reproached Chris Evert, Navratilova or Graf (who by the way was not the smily kind either) for being obsessed with winning?

(2) About the poor sportmansship thing (Justine 'hand' hardenne and so on) For crying out loud they ALL do it at a time or another. Who ever vilified Capriati for getting the British Chair Umpire (can't recall her name) to overrule a ball from Justine which videos then showed to be OK in the US OPEN? Kim Clijsters also lifted her finger in her final at the AO. Who would ever call her a conniving little cheat for that? I don't remember Navratilova or MacEnroe being particularly cool players when it came to certain calls THEY judged to be wrong.
Did they get all the crap Justine 's getting now?

(3) OK Justine has skin problems sometimes. But I you call her an ugly woman then I don't understand. She looks very good on many photographs. She's got very nice legs (once again look at most of her colleagues on the circuit, personally I won't give names) and generally a good figure (not everybody likes oversized breasts, you know)

True, her main trouble is she's not engaged to some big international star. Maybe she should get a divorce and surprise everybody by dating a movie actor or something to have people really appreciate her as a woman and start believing she can sell magazines.
Finally she comes from a country where cultural divides are so deep that some Belgians probably wish they had never been blessed with two fantastic players at the same time because one is Flemish-speaker whilst the other one speaks French. Sad but true

Peace to everybody

Martian KC
Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:24 PM
Eh, no need to bare your vicious stained teeth at me. Yea, I saw her with the trophies and saw others with their trophies too. Others were honoured for getting those trophies, yet TW wants to convince us they cant find one single photo of Henin without the cold sores, that have become a part of her???

Why does it bother you that Justine is winning? :tape: Who gives a rat's ass about TW? If you're defending TW just because they had your willies on the cover that's sad. Isn't TW an american publication anyways? :lol:

Let them have covers of the willies all the time for your sake than.:haha:

DA FOREHAND
Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:44 PM
"(1) OK, I admit she may be obsessed with winning. So what? Is she the only one? Isn't this inherent in the sport she plays? Who ever reproached Chris Evert, Navratilova or Graf (who by the way was not the smily kind either) for being obsessed with winning?"

Steffi wasn't obsessed with winning! Steffi was/is a perfectionist, she liked the challenge of constantly improving, and could hit winners and still scowl because the ball didn't land exactly where she commaned. In fact her favorite US Open match is a loss to Martina Navratilova.