PDA

View Full Version : Will Elena Dentieva ever win a Grand Slam Title?

davenport_1
Feb 17th, 2004, 09:29 PM
What do you think?

Gowza
Feb 17th, 2004, 09:33 PM
as much as i would like her to i dont think she will

Darop.
Feb 17th, 2004, 10:05 PM
I really like Elena, but either you get a better serve or you can say goodbye to top 10 (maybe 20) permanently...

j_dementieva27
Feb 17th, 2004, 10:09 PM
win a grand slam... there would need to be a completly depleted field and she had to have been playing the way she did at amelia island the whole 2 weeks

otherwise, i dont really think so.. a final... maybe... another semi, likely... quarters... i would almost say def

GoDominique
Feb 17th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Who is she? A young prospect?

alextreiber04
Feb 17th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Nor Dementieva or Dentieva will win a Grand Slam title. EVER. Neither will they ever reach a GS SF again.

switz
Feb 17th, 2004, 10:26 PM
highly doubtful. at her best she can play at the level of the best players, but she rarely produces it and hasn't even past the 4th round of a slam since the 2000 US Open if my memory serves me. her game would need a substantial overhaul for her to be able to win 7 straight matches against high quality opposition. i know she won bali and shanghai back to back, but a below par chanda was her only real opposition. i mean we haven't really had a shock winner of a slam since majoli and that was 6 years ago. obviously capriati's first australian open, but that is a pretty different situation

fammmmedspin
Feb 17th, 2004, 10:40 PM
win a grand slam... there would need to be a completly depleted field and she had to have been playing the way she did at amelia island the whole 2 weeks

otherwise, i dont really think so.. a final... maybe... another semi, likely... quarters... i would almost say def
Basically agree, but there are an awful lot of players on tour who got better with age and a few with reborn serves so never say never.

the point about Amelia Island is that you don't have to play that well for two weeks to win a GS - you have to beat whoever turns up before you meet a top 8 player and then play that well to win till they give you the winners cheque?

for-sure
Feb 17th, 2004, 10:44 PM
she has got the ground game...but serve...gree

flyingmachine
Feb 17th, 2004, 10:52 PM
She have to improve her serve otherwise she have to say bye bye to GS forever. :nerner:

davenport_1
Feb 18th, 2004, 12:45 AM
I think she would have her chances at RG and Maybe AO if she bulked up her serve a bit. Besides her consistancy and second serve she has a good game.

Volcana
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:39 AM
She ONCE made a GS semi. Other than that one time, she's never mande it past the 4th round in 17 attempts. I'd have to say 'no'. The talent just isn't there.

It's a crude measure, but if you show up often in GS semis, yo usually have the talent to win one. If youDON'T show up in GS semis, you have to get incredibly lucky. For example, Iva Majoli.

GS record (from wtatour.com)

CH - 1
FR - 0
SF - 0
QF - 5
4th - 3
3rd - 5
2nd - 9
1st - 11

Total 34

in THIRTY-FOUR tries she made it past the quarters ONCE. She made it TO the QFs only six times. But she's the reason Serena Williams is a demostrably more accomplished player than Martina Hingis.

Or the ultimate answer to tennis trivia, name a player who's ONLY win in professional tennis was a GS title? (Chris O'Neil OZ '78)

Elena D could get lucky, but she's not one of the elite players of her generation.

PatM04
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:42 AM
I may be beating a dead horse here but...she needs a serve. I'll make a prediction on her ability at the majors after I see what her new coach does for her.

stephanwiberg
Feb 18th, 2004, 07:27 AM
i think the changes of her winning a slam or definitely higher then those of higer ranked players, like sugiyama or rubin,
Dementieva has to potential at least

Dawn Marie
Feb 18th, 2004, 08:25 AM
She needs more than a serve even, imho her ground game is not all that for a slam contender. She makes alot of errors and she alot of times has poor shot selection. Her net game is not all that either. Imho Sharapova may be better than her in a year give or take two.

Greenout
Feb 18th, 2004, 08:29 AM
I dislike this sort of thread. It's done in order to mock or thrash a
certain players's career. The name isn't even spelled correctly for
one, and ED isn't even at her best form right now. It's really un-fair
to be taken to task here. Maybe she really doesn't want to bother
and go all the way for a GS. It's alot of work, time and mental effort.
How many of us would choose to coast if we were top 15 players?
Think about it!

Dawn Marie
Feb 18th, 2004, 08:47 AM
I don't think many would choose to coast at all, it's just alot of folks don't have the mental strength to win majors. They got the basic shots but not the head and they never will have the head.

we all know as fans pretty much who they are at the moment.

Rub
Feb 18th, 2004, 08:51 AM
she can if she couldn't face a top 20 player the whole 7 matches!

Redhawk
Feb 18th, 2004, 09:01 AM
anything can happen. but her chances are slim to none.

emptyhead
Feb 18th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Yes, I think within the next 2-3 years she can become a dominant force on the WTA tour and could reign as number 1 for a year or more

jimbo mack
Feb 18th, 2004, 10:11 AM
i cant really see her winning a slam, but i can see her maybe reaching a few slams finals and having a similar career to mary jo fernandez or helena sukova

Beat
Feb 18th, 2004, 10:12 AM
dentieva? is this the girl with the pearly white teeth? :o

Justinefan
Feb 18th, 2004, 11:37 AM
I think she can, there is another thread that says she has a new coach, new coach hopefully means new serve... Maybe she's been working on a new serve and that's what's been throwing her game off.. She's got the ground game, new coach new serve could mean grand slam

stephanwiberg
Feb 18th, 2004, 11:52 AM
They are both not very open-minded gals are they

the only 3 female tennisplayers that i can rememeber them making fun of and always sticking together against were, black, black, lesbian
venus, serena, amelie.

How did they dare to humiliate(and not a little bit) Amelie for walking and looking like a guy. You cant call lindsay a ballerina, can ya. And Martina's mother wasn't miss Feminine of the old millennium either was she. It might be a coincidence with Lindsay, but martina H. probably really was like that.
reason why Martina H quit playing doubles with Anna K., felt like ugly duckling next to pretty swan and couldn't handle it anymore. Wanted to be a lolita herself. Maybe that explained the kiddy second serve against Graf at Rg final. To get her youthfulness back(and as she hoped become attractive. You dont have to be pretty and a good tennisplayer, and the ugliest ones were always the coolest. Silvia Hanika, Hana Mandlikova, Florencia Labat, JULIE HALARD-D, without the d you think she's be either a guy or a dyke, she really had manly manners. And the last few years the only cute french lady was M Pierce, who aint even real french. I mean in ugly to ugliest order:
tauziat, halard-d, testud, ISABELLE DEMONGEOT, i dont think Amelie is even a little worse then them

DEETHELICK
Feb 18th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Elena is also injured, is trying a new service technique and has a new coach.

No wonder Elena is hardly flying high this season as she is making a lot of changes.

I don't question her work ethic, I think she works very hard.

Her game overall is great, she has powerful groundstrokes, has been a Top 5 doubles player (so her net ability can't be that bad) and she moves very well.

The serve has been her biggest letdown, but she is actually working on it, and with the fresh input of a new coach (who was a former tennis player herself) means that Elena truly has the potential to become much better!

If this serve/coaching arrangement works out, I think we could see Elena win a Slam, most likely RG or USO.

She is just as good as a Henin, Clijsters, Mauresmo, etc. its always been about bringing it all together and only a coach can make a player truly work out their game.

Good luck Elena!

Veritas
Feb 18th, 2004, 12:35 PM
They are both not very open-minded gals are they

the only 3 female tennisplayers that i can rememeber them making fun of and always sticking together against were, black, black, lesbian
venus, serena, amelie.

How did they dare to humiliate(and not a little bit) Amelie for walking and looking like a guy. You cant call lindsay a ballerina, can ya. And Martina's mother wasn't miss Feminine of the old millennium either was she. It might be a coincidence with Lindsay, but martina H. probably really was like that.
reason why Martina H quit playing doubles with Anna K., felt like ugly duckling next to pretty swan and couldn't handle it anymore. Wanted to be a lolita herself. Maybe that explained the kiddy second serve against Graf at Rg final. To get her youthfulness back(and as she hoped become attractive. You dont have to be pretty and a good tennisplayer, and the ugliest ones were always the coolest. Silvia Hanika, Hana Mandlikova, Florencia Labat, JULIE HALARD-D, without the d you think she's be either a guy or a dyke, she really had manly manners. And the last few years the only cute french lady was M Pierce, who aint even real french. I mean in ugly to ugliest order:
tauziat, halard-d, testud, ISABELLE DEMONGEOT, i dont think Amelie is even a little worse then them

?!?!?!?!?!?!?

We're talking about Elena's chances of winning a GS title, not about her looks, lesbians or things that happened 4 years ago.

In response to the original question...I don't see why Elena can't win at least 1 GS title. She's terribly inconsistent, but I suspect it's because she knows how vulnerable and unpredictable her service game can be, so she's probably nervous over the uncertainty of her serves.

The issues with mental toughness really boils down to match practice and experience. Plenty of matches and a willingness to try out new things would do a lot for a player's confidence. Elena rarely travels to the net, and when she does, it's usually in response to a ball that's been returned short. I reckon her new coach needs to iron out her lack of credible net play as well as her weak serve. If Elena is willing to settle down and work hard to improve on her weaknesses, then why wouldn't she be a strong GS contender?

Also, Elena's serve isn't too bad when she has her "good days". After all, she puts a lot of spin on her 2nd serves, so it gives her a bit of leway when power players stand back and plan to clobber the ball. More accuracy and power would have Elena rivalling the service games of Serena and Lindsay.

Just don't completely lose hope on Elena. Nobody predicted she'd reach the top 10 last year, let alone win three titles. I think she might serve us a few surprises in the near future.

Experimentee
Feb 18th, 2004, 12:56 PM
She wont even reach a GS semi again. Even if she did get a better serve, which is a big if, she doesnt have the consistency or mental toughness to ever win one. Remember, for years the question with her was would she ever win a title! Its a pretty big leap to now start talking about Grand Slams!

Andrew.
Feb 18th, 2004, 12:58 PM
If she fixes that serve it is possible, but if the serve remains the same she can say goodbye to the top 10, and will never reach the semis of another slam.

stephanwiberg
Feb 18th, 2004, 01:03 PM
She wont even reach a GS semi again. Even if she did get a better serve, which is a big if, she doesnt have the consistency or mental toughness to ever win one. Remember, for years the question with her was would she ever win a title! Its a pretty big leap to now start talking about Grand Slams!

So Alexandra Stevenson, fabiola Zuluaga, mirjana Lucic and clarissa Fernandez
are very consistent you mean with that?

Everything they can do Elena can do better