PDA

View Full Version : How seriously do you take your tennis?

emptyhead
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:39 PM
As a fan, how seriously do you take tennis. If you visit a tournament do you try to watch the main top10 players, or do you make an effort to watch players you have never heard of, or seen playing before.
What if there were players you disliked, would you still take the opportunity to go see them, or would you not make the effort, surely if youíre a serious fan youíll watch no matter who is playing, because after all is said and done itís the game you love, isnít it.
If your sitting at home watching the television, and the sports channel is covering the latest tournament, would you change channel if your favorite player wasnít on-court. Sometimes various television networks provide an Interactive service were you can view a number of matches, so if they were covering say 4 ATP matches, and you preferred WTA, would you switch over, or vice-versa.
Thereís some players I just cannot watch, even if they were in a Slam Final, how about you?
One time , an age ago, I would even watch Pamela Shriver!

mboyle
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:41 PM
At tournaments, I really like to make an effort to see all players, but especially the up and coming ones. I do try to avoid seeing the top names just because all the networks show them often, and I don't get many opportunities to see the lower ranked players.

emptyhead
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Funnily enough, the tournaments I enjoyed the most were some of the ITF tournaments I had the chance to pay a visit to

SJW
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:50 PM
when i went to wimbledon i took the opportunity to see my lower ranked faves, as well as a few of the top girls

*abby*
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:53 PM
at wimbledon this year im going 2 c as many matches as possible i love any tennis
i watch it every year whenever it is on regardless of who is playing
BUT saying that....my main goal is to see jenny play and to meet her

SJW
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:56 PM
at wimbledon this year im going 2 c as many matches as possible i love any tennis
i watch it every year whenever it is on regardless of who is playing
BUT saying that....my main goal is to see jenny play and to meet heri met her already :nerner: :kiss:

and seen her play :nerner:

*abby*
Feb 17th, 2004, 08:00 PM
:fiery: grrrrrrrrr
thats not fair!
im still not ur friend 4 getting the 1000th post in ur own thread!!!
u goin this year?

SJW
Feb 17th, 2004, 08:03 PM
:fiery: grrrrrrrrr
thats not fair!
im still not ur friend 4 getting the 1000th post in ur own thread!!!
u goin this year?
yes....more Jenny stalking :hearts:

i got a picture of stefano too :p and i spoke to him :D:kiss:

tennisIlove09
Feb 17th, 2004, 08:03 PM
I so want to go to Wimbledon. It's one of my goals. To see my Queen winning at Wimbledon.

Sigh.

*abby*
Feb 17th, 2004, 08:04 PM
im goin wiv lucy so i may see u there and stalk wiv u and u can intro me to "pops" :D

SJW
Feb 17th, 2004, 08:05 PM
im goin wiv lucy so i may see u there and stalk wiv u and u can intro me to "pops" :D
:haha: lucy is a nut...i didn't know it was her at the time, but she managed to get into one of my pictures :lol:

*abby*
Feb 17th, 2004, 08:07 PM
i no!my mom wants 2 talk 2 her b4 she decided if lucy is responsible enough to look after me lol!can i c the pic?

SJW
Feb 17th, 2004, 08:08 PM
u got msn?

*abby*
Feb 17th, 2004, 08:10 PM
yup do u want my addy?

SJW
Feb 17th, 2004, 08:10 PM
pm it to me ;):kiss:

emptyhead
Feb 17th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Ah for f*cks sake SJW & abbysulc, I was looking forward to hearing more about Lucy

Pamela Shriver
Feb 17th, 2004, 09:04 PM
How seriously do you take your tennis?
I've never taken it seriously. As my results show.

Gowza
Feb 17th, 2004, 09:14 PM
lol when i read the thread title i thought u were talking about it as a player rather than a spectator. i use to take it seriously as a spectator but i dont take as seriously anymore. as a player i dont take it seriously although coaches think i could of been pro if i started earlier (i only picked up a racket last year at the age of 18 and was coaching with pro coaches by september of last year) i only play club but my coach wants to set me up with hitting partners and me to take it more seriously. ppl have joked that they will see me at wimbledon (which i find funny lol).

flyingmachine
Feb 17th, 2004, 09:17 PM
when i went to wimbledon i took the opportunity to see my lower ranked faves, as well as a few of the top girls
me too :)

davenport_1
Feb 17th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Im going to Indian Wells this year so I hope to see some of my favorite top-ranked players like Davenport and Jennifer C. If they are playing. (By the way , didnt they play a really good 6-4 4-6 6-4 match against eachother at Indian Wells last year?)

bigshow21
Feb 17th, 2004, 09:36 PM
i met her already :nerner: :kiss:

and seen her play :nerner:

Omg!!! how did u meet her? i want to meet her so bad...but i dont have any money to get tickets to any tournaments. I am trying so hard to get us open tickets. Do have pics of when u met her? if u do u should post them, id like to see them. that is so exciting, im happy for u and jealous. If u know how to get cheap tickets anywhere let me know. thanks! :)
Go Jen!!!!!!!!! :) :worship: :cool: :angel: :bounce: :p :)

RedFilaJ-Cap#1
Feb 18th, 2004, 01:54 AM
I take tennis very serioulsy when Jennifer Capriati is in the tournement. I will watch it a little if she isn't there, but it isn't any fun at all. If Jen is playing I watch every match at any time and I sometimes tape it if I am not going to be home.

My dream is to meet Jennifer and see her in action at this years US Open!!!! :) :worship: I don't care what it takes I want to be there. Me and my friend are trying to pick days to go when she will be playing, but that is kind of hard. If anyone wants to help me out I would love you forever. :)

Tennis is a great sport and I do like to watch it but it doesn't seem the same when my favorite player isn't playing. Oh yeah I do love to root against Jusine :devil: every chance I get with or with out Jen there I always do that. :D

4 Days Left!!!!

for-sure
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:01 AM
I make sure to see all the top players...but I watch the good match-ups.

PatM04
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:03 AM
Well since the only WTA event I have been to is Amelia Island (02 and 03, and I am going back this year) and I have only been to the semis I have only seen top girls. I have seen Venus, Justine, Elena, Lindsay, and Jen. Now I have been to two different ITF events. There is a 75k in Dothan AL that I go to. There in 2002 I saw Dabek, Harkleroad, Fujiwara, Coopersmith, Reeves, and steck. In 2003 I saw Noorlander, Kutuzova, Camerin, Morigami, Lee-Waters, Bielek, Lee, Sequera, Wheeler, Ditty, Lepchenko, Sonya, Washington, Perry and Dally Randrienteffy. And I went to the 50k Troy AL tournament where I saw Neffa De Los Rios, Camerin again, and Brandi.

SM
Feb 18th, 2004, 07:05 AM
i take it very seriously. i have a date set in my mind by which i expect to be world no.1 as a player. as a spectator i dont take it serious at all, cos id rather be the athlete/performer out there winning many slams.

:)

SJW
Feb 18th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Omg!!! how did u meet her? i want to meet her so bad...but i dont have any money to get tickets to any tournaments. I am trying so hard to get us open tickets. Do have pics of when u met her? if u do u should post them, id like to see them. that is so exciting, im happy for u and jealous. If u know how to get cheap tickets anywhere let me know. thanks! :)
Go Jen!!!!!!!!! :) :worship: :cool: :angel: :bounce: :p :)well when i went to Wimbledon....the first monday, early in the morning, in the queue i saw Stefano walking past...me and my friend were like "that's Jennifer Capriati's dad!"...then a few seconds later Jenny herself was walking past...a hush just fell over the queue :lol: i yelled "Jennifer!" and she turned around and waved at me...on quarters day i saw her before she went to practice, but there was a fence inbetween us, i asked her for her auto but she just said "when i come back from practice ok?"...i didn't dare ask her for her picture, she scares me! :lol: i took one of her when she was practicing, and when she was walking off, they're not brilliant but they're ok

i got the chance to corner her dad in the middle of the first week, i got a picture and his auto and told him to tell Jenny i said good luck with her match...

all in all Jen wasn't rude or anything, she's a really nice girl. that's why i like her ;) i saw her play Serena at Wimbledon, i was so happy i had centre court tickets for that day!

Fantastic
Feb 18th, 2004, 12:56 PM
I don't really enjoy being a "fan". It serves absolutely no purpose. I'd rather play than watch. I enjoy watching and talking about tennis but not a lot. If I had to choose between never playing or never watching tennis again, I'd choose never to watch again, simply because I love playing so much more and get a whole lot more out of it. If you're playing, you're doing something constructive and worthwhile for your mental and physical self. If you're just watching, you're really just sitting on your arse and getting worked up something beyond your control. I also don't believe in obtaining autographs or going out of my way to try and talk to a player. Autographs are just ink on paper - they're worthless - and if you have to track down a player to talk to them, then maybe you need a life. You wouldn't track down stranger just to talk to them, so why do it to a player?