PDA

View Full Version : Navratilova To Make Family Circle Cup Farewell

tennisIlove09
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Navratilova To Make Family Circle Cup Farewell
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/Navra.jpg
Photo By Art Seitz By Tennis Week
02/17/2004

Martina Navratilova will make her Family Circle Cup farewell in the spring. The former No. 1, who announced the 2004 season will be her last playing professional tennis, is committed to competing in the doubles draw of the Family Circle Cup, scheduled for April 10-18th at the Family Circle Tennis Center on Daniel Island in Charleston, South Carolina.
The legendary lefthander has won a record 167 singles titles and 173 doubles championships in her career.

By playing in the 2004 Family Circle Cup, Navratilova will set the record as the tournament's oldest participant at 47 years, 5 months. She will surpass the previous record of 46 years, 8 months, set by Dr. Renee Richards in 1981. She is a four-time Family Circle Cup champion and still holds many tournament records. She won her first Cup title in 1982 and would add three more Family Circle Cup titles to her list. Navratilova's last Cup title came in 1990 over a rising young star named Jennifer Capriati. She holds numerous tournament records including oldest champion (33 years, 5 months) and most doubles titles (7).

"Martina has played such an important role in the history of women's professional tennis," said Frankie Whelan, executive director of the Family Circle Cup. "She will not only be remembered for her accomplishments on court but also for the high standards she has set for those following her. She is a true champion and we honor her contribution to the game of tennis."

Navratilova won seven doubles titles during the 2003 season. Five of Navratilova's victories were accomplished with Svetlana Kuznetsova (Gold Coast, Dubai, Italian Open, Canadian Open, and Leipzig), her 11th partner since her return to competitive tennis, one with Liezel Huber (Sarasota), and another with Lisa Raymond (Philadelphia). She won the Australian Open mixed doubles title with Leander Paes to become the third woman to win singles, doubles and mixed doubles titles at all four Grand Slam tournaments. The victory marked her 57th Grand Slam tournament title (18 singles, 31 doubles and 8 mixed). At the age of 46 years and 3 months she set a new record as the oldest winner at a Grand Slam event.

For more information on the Family Circle Cup and the Family Circle Tennis Center, please call (800) 677-2293 or (843) 856-7900 or visit the Family Circle Cup (http://www.familycirclecup.com/) web site.

apoet29
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:08 PM
How sad! I was really looking forward to her playing all year. It didn't mention if she was going to continue to play mixed doubles with Paes in the slams this year, but I guess she isn't. I hope that ESPN will do us fans the kind favor of showing this ceremony.

alfajeffster
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:10 PM
How sad! I was really looking forward to her playing all year. It didn't mention if she was going to continue to play mixed doubles with Paes in the slams this year, but I guess she isn't. I hope that ESPN will do us fans the kind favor of showing this ceremony.
I think she will continue playing doubles at selected events right through the Olympics and then possibly the U.S. Open. The article just mentions this will be her last Family Circle Cup.

apoet29
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:12 PM
I think she will continue playing doubles at selected events right through the Olympics and then possibly the U.S. Open. The article just mentions this will be her last Family Circle Cup.
Oh, you're right. My bad. I didn't read the first paragraph closely enough.

davenport_1
Feb 17th, 2004, 08:24 PM
I would have had a lot more respect for Navratilova if she just stopped playing in 94. now all she tries to do is set and break records.

flyingmachine
Feb 17th, 2004, 09:20 PM
What ever happens Navratilova are always inspired me. :kiss:

Rocketta
Feb 17th, 2004, 09:51 PM
well I guess I need to take pics of her then this year....;)