PDA

View Full Version : Parra Ends Possible Clash Of Clijsters Sisters In Antwerp

tennisIlove09
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Parra Ends Possible Clash Of Clijsters Sisters In Antwerp
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/ClijstersfistUSOpenSMullane.jpg
Photo By Susan Mullane By Tennis Week
02/17/2004

A sisterly showdown between second-ranked Kim Clijsters and younger sister Elke Clijsters will have to wait for the family backyard. Arantxa Parra ended the possibility of an all-Clijsters clash with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Elke Clijsters in the opening round of the Proximus Diamond Games in Antwerp today.
The Clijsters sisters were on track for a second-round showdown before Parra's victory, but will stage a reunion of sorts later today when the sisters team up for a doubles match against Selima Sfar and Caroline Vis.

Four-time Grand Slam finalist Kim Clijsters conceded she was not pleased with the prospect of playing her little sister and said contemplating such a match gave her a glimpse of how the Williams sisters must feel when they meet on the court.

"Now I have a chance to feel what the Williams sisters are feeling," Clijsters said. "If I beat Elke, I will not be happy. I am in the position of Venus who always said that she wanted Serena to win because she is the little sister. Now I understand what Venus said. If it occurs, the situation will be difficult. I don't know what to expect, but I am sure I will not be happy to win. Just like the Williams when they played finals of Grand Slams, the winner never seeming happier than the loser."

esquímaux
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:16 PM
I wanted to see a belgian sisters duel...darn that two handed forehand heffa :o

GoDominique
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:17 PM
I'm shocked. Kim is comparing Elke to SERENA ??? How rude. :(

davenport_1
Feb 17th, 2004, 08:51 PM
I'm shocked. Kim is comparing Elke to SERENA ??? How rude. :(

I compare my dog with Serena

toobaxx
Feb 17th, 2004, 08:54 PM
GOOD ONE:)

jimbo mack
Feb 17th, 2004, 08:59 PM
this arantxa parra name seems to be cropping up a bit now

i know she had a good coupla of tournaments last year..........but

has anyone seen her play? whats her style like? what does she look like? has she got top 20 potential?

CanadianBoy21
Feb 17th, 2004, 09:11 PM
So what you are saying is that you compare Davenport to Serena.

davenport_1
Feb 17th, 2004, 09:17 PM
So what you are saying is that you compare Davenport to Serena.

Im confused

CanadianBoy21
Feb 17th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Im confused
...and I'm not suprised.

Bероника
Feb 17th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Well done Arantxa!!

broncosven
Feb 17th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Hey everyone

ive been hearing about Elke geting WC for 'free' for a while

is she really as bad as everyone says - is she struggling goin from juniors to seniors - is she trying to hard to live up to her last name???

Jakeev
Feb 17th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Well the younger Clijsters actually finally made it to a semi of a Satellite tournament recently so perhaps she is getting better, but in that type of tournament.

Frankly, I am glad Parra won. Kim probably would have literally wiped her younger sister off the court in the next round.