PDA

View Full Version : Will Elke get another maindraw WC ?

GoDominique
Feb 17th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Vote!

GoDominique
Feb 17th, 2004, 01:05 PM
deserve it. :o

*JR*
Feb 17th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Yes, so long as the present whores are running (or ruining) the game.

Aphex
Feb 17th, 2004, 01:12 PM
No. Not while she's ranked 500 and there are half a dozen other Belgians between her and her sister. They should hand out WC's based on merit not on name. But you know it's the WTA tour, anything can happen... ;)

The Crow
Feb 17th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Of course she will :o

VivalaSeles
Feb 17th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Yes, although it would be incredibly - REALLY INCREDIBLY - stupid.

Brαm
Feb 17th, 2004, 01:46 PM
No. Not while she's ranked 500 and there are half a dozen other Belgians between her and her sister. They should hand out WC's based on merit not on name. But you know it's the WTA tour, anything can happen... ;)
What other Belgian should've got Elke's WC then? I can't think of any :confused:

gopher
Feb 17th, 2004, 01:51 PM
yes and GD is a moron. The Clijsters' sisters draw the crowds and tennis is business.

Brαm
Feb 17th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Callens, Maes, Van Hyfte, Butkiewicz or Feys. ;)

Callens got one.

Maes? Even though I like her, she doesn't really have a good game, esp. not suitable for hardcourts. Btw, Elke beat Caroline Maes last Summer (Koksijde $10,000) :p

Van Hyfte, OK :D

Butkiewicz: nope she's not deserving of a WC. She's already ranked 100 places lower than let's say 2 years ago so :tape:

Feys, um... :awww:

The thing is: in Belgium we have:

JUSTINE & KIM

then there's Elsje

and then the rest :o

ßcoene
Feb 17th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Callens got one.

Maes? Even though I like her, she doesn't really have a good game, esp. not suitable for hardcourts. Btw, Elke beat Caroline Maes last Summer (Koksijde $10,000) :p

Van Hyfte, OK :D

Butkiewicz: nope she's not deserving of a WC. She's already ranked 100 places lower than let's say 2 years ago so :tape:

Feys, um... :awww:

The thing is: in Belgium we have:

JUSTINE & KIM

then there's Elsje

and then the rest :o
Kirsten is already worth mentionning on her own I think. Not yet based on her ranking, but that might change soon. If she recovers well from her injury.

malaye
Feb 17th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Callens got one. The only reason Els Callens got a WC was because Kirsten withdrew.

lauryn
Feb 17th, 2004, 02:30 PM
It's the third time now that Elke got a wildcard in Antwerp, I'm not saying she never deserved one, but this year no she didn't. You're right Bram, Belgium has Kim, Justine and Els, the others are just not good enough (yet).

I think they should have given a wildcard this year to Kirsten and Els, and due to Kirsten's injury her wildcard should have gone to Caroline Maes or Evelyne Van Hyfte. I'm not saying they would fare better than Elke, but they deserve that chance (that Elke has had a multiple times now) to play in a maindraw in their own country. You can get a bit of experience and learn from it. So they should use some rotation system (or let them play for the wildcard, like in qualies) and not every year give it to Elke.

To answer your question, GoDominique, yes Elke will get more wildcards, although it would be incredibly stupid.

The Crow
Feb 17th, 2004, 02:31 PM
It's the third time now that Elke got a wildcard in Antwerp, I'm not saying she never deserved one, but this year no she didn't. You're right Bram, Belgium has Kim, Justine and Els, the others are just not good enough (yet).

I think they should have given a wildcard this year to Kirsten and Els, and due to Kirsten's injury her wildcard should have gone to Caroline Maes or Evelyne Van Hyfte. I'm not saying they would fare better than Elke, but they deserve that chance (that Elke has had a multiple times now) to play in a maindraw in their own country. You can get a bit of experience and learn from it. So they should use some rotation system (or let them play for the wildcard, like in qualies) and not every year give it to Elke.

To answer your question, GoDominique, yes Elke will get more wildcards, although it would be incredibly stupid.
Great post!

great smash
Feb 17th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Do you know any belgian girl that can be expected to draw better crowd, or one that quite certain to have better result?

I guess that gives you the answer.

The Crow
Feb 17th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Do you know any belgian girl that can be expected to draw better crowd, or one that quite certain to have better result?

I guess that gives you the answer.
Well yes of course, but that's normal. If you don't market the other Belgian players (e.g. by giving them a WC for instance), of course no-one is going to know them. But of course it's way easier to market the player who is the sister of....

And tell me, is someone who has watched an Elke match in Antwerp going to be determined to come back next year? I don't think so....

The Crow
Feb 17th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Well yes of course, but that's normal. If you don't market the other Belgian players (e.g. by giving them a WC for instance), of course no-one is going to know them. But of course it's way easier to market the player who is the sister of....

I use "of course" too much :o

bandabou
Feb 17th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Plus, what fun is it to come watch someone whom you KNOW is gonna lose?! If it were against Kim, Serena and the likes, can understand....but with Elke it doesn´t matter against whom she plays, she is gonna lose. After sometime it gets tiring...

malaye
Feb 17th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Plus, what fun is it to come watch someone whom you KNOW is gonna lose?! If it were against Kim, Serena and the likes, can understand....but with Elke it doesn´t matter against whom she plays, she is gonna lose. After sometime it gets tiring...Of course. Hum... sorry, that's The Crow's line.

Redhawk
Feb 17th, 2004, 04:13 PM
depends. has henin-hardenne got any sisters? :p

gopher
Feb 18th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Elke Clijsters has proven she has great doubles potential last night as she has in the past. The fact the place was packed last night (for a first round doubles match) is confirmation of the fact the organizers took the right decision here, exception made for the fact Callens should have had preference. Once Flipkens was injured, Elke was the obvious choice.
She has top-20 potential in doubles.

azza
Feb 18th, 2004, 09:50 AM
The question really is Where Will Elke get another maindraw WC ?

Greenout
Feb 18th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Plus, what fun is it to come watch someone whom you KNOW is gonna lose?! If it were against Kim, Serena and the likes, can understand....but with Elke it doesn´t matter against whom she plays, she is gonna lose. After sometime it gets tiring...

Look how many WC's Stevenson received all these years!

Dymension
Feb 18th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Elke will be devastated knowing Leipzig has been cancelled. :tape:

Watch out Luxembourg, here she comes again! :p

Dymension
Feb 18th, 2004, 09:56 AM
But honestly, I don't blame the organisers for giving the WC to her, as somebody said earlier tennis is a business and Elke would draw far bigger crowds than any of the others mentioned.

She just needs some results to back it up. ;)

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 18th, 2004, 10:00 AM

And that gets tiresome .... ;)

matthias
Feb 18th, 2004, 10:14 AM
:lol:

i mean, i´m not a Stevenson fan
but you can not compare Stevenson with Elke
Stevenson is top100, and former top50
and Elke? what is Elke?

gopher
Feb 18th, 2004, 10:40 AM
girls doubles title at Wimbledon

The Crow
Feb 18th, 2004, 12:27 PM
What do her double results have to do with singles WC's? :confused:

stephanwiberg
Feb 18th, 2004, 12:54 PM
well if you say that about Elke though, you could say that about a whole lot of players.
Biggest example: Wimbledon, with 8 out of 10 worse then Elke.
Aussie Open: instead of a play-off because there are so many to choose from that are good, it was because basically no-one deserved it. Elke is just lucky to be one of the best in a small country that anyway has more then just one tiny tournament. And she got a wc for a german/luxembourg,/austria tournament. Thats not really the countries with a whole lot of rising soon-to-be-superstar players anyway. In Rosmalen, there are 2 wc but we have Michaela krajicek/Elise Tamaela(who by the way was the highest climber of the wta-ranking over-all. I recently started to look at challenger tour as well. TALKING ABOUT UNFAIR: there are basically 10 times more tournaments in Spain, britain, US, then in belgium Holland, Russia. And all the wildcards go to the home-country and thats like sometimes more then 10 times a year. No-one talks about that. Elke needs to hear all the bitching about not winning a match she could play thanks to wc. If at wimbledon an english girl manages to win a game she practically gets a statue

-Sonic-
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:59 PM
"If at wimbledon an english girl manages to win a game she practically gets a statue"

They bloody don't.

Aphex
Feb 18th, 2004, 03:26 PM
So how big was the crowd at the Elke vs. Parra match? I'm curious since this seems to be the deciding argument for her having a WC.
BTW: there was a WC play-off for Belgians before Antwerp, I guess it was for the qualies.

Martian KC
Feb 18th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Elke will be devastated knowing Leipzig has been cancelled. :tape:

Watch out Luxembourg, here she comes again! :p

LMMFAO!:haha:

ghosts
Feb 18th, 2004, 03:39 PM
why didnt Flipkens get a WC?? :confused:

flyingmachine
Feb 18th, 2004, 03:53 PM
why didnt Flipkens get a WC?? :confused:
She doesn't have a famous name.

The Crow
Feb 18th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Flipkens did get one, but she's injured.

Brαm
Feb 18th, 2004, 05:08 PM
She doesn't have a famous name.
Seems like you're talking about stuff you don't really know much about :tape:

Belgium = Best
Feb 18th, 2004, 07:12 PM
I voted for the second option because :first WTA-Antwerp wouldn't give a wildcard to Els Callens

:)
:wavey:

Wimanna
Feb 18th, 2004, 07:21 PM
So how big was the crowd at the Elke vs. Parra match? I'm curious since this seems to be the deciding argument for her having a WC.
BTW: there was a WC play-off for Belgians before Antwerp, I guess it was for the qualies.
Elke vs Parra +/-7000
Elke/Kim vs Vis/Sfar +9000
Kim vs Parra 6000

Elke is more popular :eek: ;)

Dymension
Feb 18th, 2004, 09:32 PM
:eek:

Dawn Marie
Feb 18th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Elke is being pimped out as like Anna K was during her treatment during tourneys.

I think she should not be given better treatment because she is Kim's sister. She should not have been given a WC before others.

I fail to see why many are trying to use Alex as a scapegoat, especially when Alex has done more than Elke. LMAO

Elke is overrated but yet she is pimping the tour and the tour is pimping her.

Elke got a WC and lost and the tour got some extra cash while the crowd got to see them play doubles. All is happy.