PDA

View Full Version : Euro Tennis Chief Suggests 4 Game Sets

AjdeNate!
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:08 PM
ATP Europe chief suggests four-game sets
February 16, 2004

FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) -- It would take less time to hear ``Game, set, match'' if the new head of ATP Europe has his way.

Tennis matches should be shortened so players have to win four games, rather than six, to claim a set, Horst Klosterkemper suggested in an interview published Monday on the German Web site www.sport.ard.de.

That would make the sport more attractive for TV, he said. ``We should not stick to tradition so much,'' Klosterkemper said. ``We have to ask the fans and the media which rules have to be changed and how we can present ourselves better.'' He said research has shown that many fans switch channels at the beginning of sets.

---------------------------------------------

I think 4 game sets are not wise. Not enough time to get into the match - too "quick" as far as momentum. I think it'd be bad for the sport, personally.

Martian Willow
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:11 PM
...what an eejit...the set would be over after the first break and hold... :)

vamosferrero
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:12 PM
I really don' t like the idea of 4 game sets.
There will be not enougt time to get into the match or recover from the bad start.How many times we saw player coming back from 1-4 to win a set??

JustineTime
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:13 PM
:shout: YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!! :shout:

Hawk
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Not to mention we'd see way more bagels/double bagles on the women's Tour.

E. Blackadder
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:14 PM
ridiculous.

Tratree
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:15 PM
So we would get 22 minute massacres instead of 51 minute massacres? Idiot.

ttaM
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Don't like the idea. What if so and so shells out $$$ for a ticket to the final, and the end result is a 4-0, 4-0 match. So and so spends $$$ on a match that lasted 10 minutes...which is pretty much a commerical break. I would be pissed.

bluepastures
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:29 PM
That sounds like the kind of idea from someone who's never played tennis in his life. Tennis didn't get to be the worldwide sport it is today by changing its rules constantly! It's really depressing when someone with such stupid ideas gets in a position of influence.

Maajken
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:30 PM
didnt they come up with this like 4 years ago aswell?

saki
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:31 PM
It's not a bad idea for the mens' tour, actually, as there matches do get kinda dull in the middle. For the womens' tour it's definitely a poor idea.

Stefwhit
Feb 16th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Tennis matches should be shortened?? We already have sets lasting less than a half hour- if anything the womens matches need to be longer, they can't get any shorter...

flyingmachine
Feb 16th, 2004, 09:14 PM
:shout: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :mad:

QUEENLINDSAY
Feb 16th, 2004, 09:16 PM
4 games? maybe if its going to be 5 sets. But still 6 games is better.

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 16th, 2004, 10:34 PM
I really don' t like the idea of 4 game sets.
There will be not enougt time to get into the match or recover from the bad start.How many times we saw player coming back from 1-4 to win a set??
Agreed.

Brian Stewart
Feb 17th, 2004, 05:25 AM
They tried it out a few years ago, in some challenger events, and it went over like the proverbial lead balloon. So why would it suddenly seem like the thing to do now? It's a stupid idea. Which, with this being tennis, unfortunately means it has a 50/50 chance of being implemented.

Given my fave's penchant for slow starts, and getting down an early break, this would be a disaster.

disposablehero
Feb 17th, 2004, 05:30 AM
They tried it out a few years ago, in some challenger events, and it went over like the proverbial lead balloon. So why would it suddenly seem like the thing to do now? It's a stupid idea. Which, with this being tennis, unfortunately means it has a 50/50 chance of being implemented.

Given my fave's penchant for slow starts, and getting down an early break, this would be a disaster.
No, they didn't try this Brian. They tried sets to 5 games. And it bombed. But this guy is smart. He's figured out that if 6 games is bad and 5 is 100 times worse, then 4 is obviously the solution.

Stefwhit
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:37 AM
I know what about a clock like in basketball and football...lol. Since they seem to be so concerned about time why not just out right control the lenght of the matches. For example each set would last 45 minutes and at the end of 45 minutes whoever has won the most games wins the set. Then off to set number two... well it's better than the 4 set idea...- just a thought

Crazy Canuck
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:40 AM
It's not a bad idea for the mens' tour, actually, as there matches do get kinda dull in the middle. For the womens' tour it's definitely a poor idea.
Bah! I disagree completely. It's an even worse idea for mens matches, unless you hate ATP and want them off your TV as soon as possible. It's hard enough to break a player like Andy Roddick in a normal set, let alone one where he only needs to hold a couple of times. It would be even worse for the ATP, because generally, it's harder to break serve

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 17th, 2004, 08:35 AM
horribe horrible thought :rolleyes:

Stefwhit
Feb 17th, 2004, 08:39 AM
What about my alternative idea (see above)... I personally don't think things need to be fixed (in regards to length of the matches,) but at least with using a clock we're guarenteed a certain amount of tennis (and time on the courts) which means no more 45 minute match blow outs. We could end up seeing scores like 12-2, 9-3...

gopher
Feb 17th, 2004, 10:31 AM
cut off his goolies