PDA

View Full Version : Possible second WTA tournament in Belgium

Etienne Stekelenburg
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Proximus tournament Director Verbeeck just announced plans for a second WTA tournament in Belgium.

Read all about it at http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s133/st45964.htm

E.

for-sure
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:37 PM
That makes a lot of sense. Tennis is at an all time high in Belgium...that is what the WTA needs to do...look for better tennis markets.

jimbo mack
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:40 PM
why cant they put a new tournament in a country like argentina, brazil, greece etc

its always the same old, same old

Joachim
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Belgium has 2 best players in the world, only Antwerpen isn't enough!

Brαm
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:42 PM
why cant they put a new tournament in a country like argentina, brazil, greece etc

its always the same old, same old
Same old, same old? There is ONE WTA-tournament in Belgium now. What are you whining about? :tape:

for-sure
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Greece is not into tennis. It came from eleni's mouth.

jimbo mack
it jus sickens me that the wta is licking belgium's arse because they have the world's top 2 players

dont they know that there ARE other countries out there?!

argentina or brazil really need a wta tournament

belgium is jus being greedy :p

QUEENLINDSAY
Yeah its supposed to be WTA TOUR!!!!!
I Duno why we have a lot of tournaments in almost the same places.
Well I guess its still business!!!!

AjdeNate!
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Go Belgie!!

Brαm
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:50 PM
it jus sickens me that the wta is licking belgium's arse because they have the world's top 2 players

dont they know that there ARE other countries out there?!

argentina or brazil really need a wta tournament

belgium is jus being greedy :p
Oh please. At least Belgium has 2 top-10 players. Why give Brazil a tournament? Who would play there? Menga? :lol: :help:

paellapan
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:52 PM
WTA Bree ? ;)

Joachim
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Oh please. At least Belgium has 2 top-10 players. Why give Brazil a tournament? Who would play there? Menga? :lol: :help:

I agree with you!!!

croat123
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:57 PM
That makes a lot of sense. Tennis is at an all time high in Belgium...that is what the WTA needs to do...look for better tennis markets.
tennis is one of the top sports in croatia and look at how many wta events we have :o

jimbo mack
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:58 PM
i dont think belgium should be allowed another tier 11, or anything above, or anything lower!!

otherwise the wta WILL be boring!! :lol:

i'd rather see a new tournament in a new country thats all

croat123
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:58 PM
that way k-lina can be the top seed :p

Brαm
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:00 PM
i dont think belgium should be allowed another tier 11, or anything above, or anything lower!!

otherwise the wta WILL be boring!! :lol:

i'd rather see a new tournament in a new country thats all
Where then? Iceland? Ireland? Ghana? :rolleyes:

Tournament directors want to sell tickets. A LOT of tickets. Here in Belgium people BUY a lot of tickets.

Joachim
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:01 PM
tennis is one of the top sports in croatia and look at how many wta events we have :o

We had the tournament in Bol, Kim played there 3 years ago!

jimbo mack
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Where then? Iceland? Ireland? Ghana? :rolleyes:

Tournament directors want to sell tickets. A LOT of tickets. Here in Belgium people BUY a lot of tickets.

well you are bound to say that seeing as u are belgium yourself, or so says ur flag

another country deserve a chance

belgium doesnt need a chance, its successful enough as it is

Brαm
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:08 PM
well you are bound to say that seeing as u are belgium yourself, or so says ur flag

I am Belgium? :lol: I only live there you know :o :o

Ted of Teds Tennis
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Even before Clijsters and Hénin-Hardenne came along there were two tournaments in Belgium: A claycourt event in Antwerp in May, and one in Knokke-Heist in July.

Andy T
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:25 PM
If there is the support among the public in Belgium (don't forget Paris is one hour away by train, and then there's the Netherlands, Luxembourg and western Germany) for a second tournament, why not? I think it's a shame that there are no indoor events in Britain in Italy with their 58 million inhabitants, but at least they have major outdoor events.

I wish the WTA and ITF would team up and organise an itinerant Fed Cup & Series Championships in adjacent weeks at the end of the season, with the Fed Cup first. Wherever this was staged, the Fed Cup would have a better chance of drawing the top players and the promoters would have a real tennis fest to sell. For the next four years, they could give it to the USA, Belgium, France and Russia, all of whom are going to be in contention for the cup and have players in the series finals.

AjdeNate!
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:28 PM
that way k-lina can be the top seed :p
:yeah: :lol: Too bad Bol couldn't afford theirs anymore. :(

SJW
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:28 PM
i think there should be a Tier I on grass :retard:

Rising Sun
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:49 PM
This is good news since Leipzig got cancelled.

Best time to hold this tourney would be right after the US Open during the week of either Bali, Shanghai or Tashkent, IMO.