PDA

View Full Version : Stevenson Qualifies

j_dementieva27
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Alexandra Stevenson (USA) def. Julia Vakulenko (UKR) 6-3, 6-7, 6-3

in 3rd round qualies.. thats the first time alex has won 3 matches in a row all year

next stop: a win in the maindraw? (she is a great indoors player and before losing that tiebreak she hadnt lost a set in qualies)

jimbo mack
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:37 PM
well done Alex!!!! keep on showing those haters :)

for-sure
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:38 PM
I just saw it too. I was very surprised.

PatM04
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Congrats to her:)

Andrew.
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Great job Alex. :D

croat123
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:50 PM
alex and julia play again in th md (ll for julia) :o

esquímaux
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:08 PM

:lol:

SJW
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:09 PM
go ALEX! :bounce:

jimbo mack
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:14 PM
I just saw it too. I was very surprised.

why are u surpised? alex was a former top 20 player, who's consistent best results have come on indoors

and i hate ur name for-sure!!! its that irritating phase The Hand uses in her interviews :rolleyes:

starr
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Well, I hate that you can't be bothered to type out the word "you." That is, for sure, more irritating than the phrase, "for sure"

esquímaux
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:17 PM
calm down ladies ;)

tennisluver99
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Wouldn't it be something if Stevenson loses in the 1st rd of the main draw to the girl she beat in qualifying.

I wouldn't be surprised.

jimbo mack
Well, I hate that you can't be bothered to type out the word "you." That is, for sure, more irritating than the phrase, "for sure"

well, U need to take a chill pill

as U are going :cuckoo:

starr
well done Alex!!!! keep on showing those haters :)
I doubt that those who question Alex's talent, training, and motivation (i.e. "haters" to you), will be impressed by her getting out of the quallies. Poutchek has done that time after time in much more difficult qualie draws than this one...... not to mention Kleinova... and I don't hear anyone singing their praises.

starr
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:20 PM
well, U need to take a chill pill

as U are going :cuckoo:
Just pointing out that petty irritations are all over the place. Disliking the use of "u" in place of "you" is not anymore (or less) petty than disliking the phrase "for sure."

SJW
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:21 PM
put yer handbags away :tape:

jimbo mack
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:23 PM
I doubt that those who question Alex's talent, training, and motivation (i.e. "haters" to you), will be impressed by her getting out of the quallies. Poutchek has done that time after time in much more difficult qualie draws than this one...... not to mention Kleinova... and I don't hear anyone singing their praises.

because anyone who has alot of knowledge can see that stevenson is more talented than the likes of poutchek or kleinova

Paneru
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Good for Lexy! :bounce:

Let's hope she can keep it up! :angel:

starr
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:54 PM
because anyone who has alot of knowledge can see that stevenson is more talented than the likes of poutchek or kleinova And anyone who has a lot of knowledge can see that Alexandra does not train properly, hasn't developed her game, and has an extremely poor mental attitude. She's squandered what talent she has even more than Philippoussis has squandered his.

I have a lot more respect for the girls on the tour who have far less talent but who have worked hard and made a place for themselves in the tour.

I'm sure you think Alexandra has more talent than Ai, but look at what Ai has done.

tennisIlove09
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Here's the biggest surprise: she's in Antwerp, not Memphis. I thought she would have played the Kruger, since she is a 1 time finalist (Where she had mp's against Raymond)

Philip
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Wouldn't it be something if Stevenson loses in the 1st rd of the main draw to the girl she beat in qualifying.

I wouldn't be surprised.
:o that would be strange!

go julia! :)

starr
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Kroger :) It's a grocery store chain.

SerialKiller#69
Feb 16th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Nah she'll get stumped in the 1R anyway.

esquímaux
Feb 16th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Kroger :) It's a grocery store chain.
I got some gatorade from there last week :angel:

crewman31
Feb 16th, 2004, 07:25 PM
great job alex

geoepee
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Way to go Alex!!!!

Jakeev
Feb 16th, 2004, 09:23 PM
And anyone who has a lot of knowledge can see that Alexandra does not train properly, hasn't developed her game, and has an extremely poor mental attitude. She's squandered what talent she has even more than Philippoussis has squandered his.

I have a lot more respect for the girls on the tour who have far less talent but who have worked hard and made a place for themselves in the tour.

I'm sure you think Alexandra has more talent than Ai, but look at what Ai has done.
And that is what it boils down to starr, is Alex is not realizing her potential. James can piss and moan all he wants but in the long run it's not that anyone hates Alex it's that she can't seem to get her act together and that is what is frustrating.

Freewoman33
Feb 16th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Hang in there Alex, you can do it girl. Stay focused and you do well.

Fyndh0rnElf
Feb 16th, 2004, 10:10 PM
I hope Stevenson draws Elke in the 1st :D

I predicted Elke to win her 1st round match (insane I know :unsure: ) but it seems possible now :banana:

:haha:

crewman31
Feb 16th, 2004, 11:51 PM
im happy for alex good luck girl

Gowza
Feb 16th, 2004, 11:54 PM
im happy for alex but sad for vakulenko, i like both players. but they do play each other again in the first round lol. both players have massive games and when they are on it's nice to watch. good luck to both.

davenport_1
Feb 16th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Alexandra Is such a joke. If she didnt get to the semi of wimbledon 99 nobody would know who she is. Why? because she's a nobody with no particular talent who cant even get past the 2nd round of most tournaments.

crewman31
Feb 16th, 2004, 11:59 PM
im happy for alex but sad for vakulenko, i like both players. but they do play each other again in the first round lol. both players have massive games and when they are on it's nice to watch. good luck to both. did you watch them play? how did alex serve?

Gowza
Feb 17th, 2004, 12:07 AM
nah i didnt see them play, would like to tho, i like both players games.

davenport_1
Feb 17th, 2004, 12:10 AM
What in the world is there to like about Stevenson?!!?!?!?!?!?

j_dementieva27
Feb 17th, 2004, 12:14 AM
Alexandra Is such a joke. If she didnt get to the semi of wimbledon 99 nobody would know who she is. Why? because she's a nobody with no particular talent who cant even get past the 2nd round of most tournaments.

bold talk for someone who joined a month ago... that not true at all, the reason alex made the wimbledon semis is because of her talent, regardless of the draw... she was a nobody who won 8 straight matches against people who were playing well enough to make it where they did

if you knew what you were talking about, you would realize she was ranked #18 at the end of 2002, completly kicked ass during the indoor season and made the alternate spot of the YEC

shes been in a slump since then... so thats why its so nice to see her playing through the qualies

New
Feb 17th, 2004, 12:19 AM
yes she did have a fantastic season in 2002 indoors... but for most of her results including grand slams(exception of the sf run to wimbledon) is pretty bad... if i'm not wrong she has tons of first round losses in us open...

she needs to cut down on her errors i feel cos she normally likes to be aggressive and go for her shots which when on a good day makes her win wth ease but on a not so good day will cost her points....

hopefully she moves up in the right direction again... but now there's lots of new players...thing could be a bit different from 2002....

j_dementieva27
Feb 17th, 2004, 12:22 AM
yup, i agree... the biggest drawback of alexandra stevenson is her lack of ability to mold to the game thats being played right now

yes, she hits the hell out of the ball and has a HUGE serve... but she rarely uses spins and slices that could help her lack of mobility...going for your shots is a good thing, but not when your making UE's 7 out of 10 times

davenport_1
Feb 17th, 2004, 12:25 AM
bold talk for someone who joined a month ago... that not true at all, the reason alex made the wimbledon semis is because of her talent, regardless of the draw... she was a nobody who won 8 straight matches against people who were playing well enough to make it where they did

if you knew what you were talking about, you would realize she was ranked #18 at the end of 2002, completly kicked ass during the indoor season and made the alternate spot of the YEC

shes been in a slump since then... so thats why its so nice to see her playing through the qualies

There is a few things wrong here:

Just because I joined a month ago DOES NOT mean that I do not know what I am talking about. Second of all, When she did make #18 in the world by having a good indoor season, did she capitolize on it? No. now she's number 81 or sumthin. She's not consistent and there is nothing about her game that is special(except her oh-so-inconsistent serve.) Comparing Stevenson to a consistent top 30 or even top 50 player like apples and oranges.

alextreiber04
Feb 17th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Wow, Alex! :D

Beat Julia again, you can do it! :yeah:

Bероника
Feb 17th, 2004, 01:55 AM
Go Alex!!

Douggie
Feb 17th, 2004, 01:56 AM

omg Poor Alex ;) :lol:

Fyndh0rnElf
Feb 17th, 2004, 02:10 AM
Too bad she isn't facing Elke! Elke was about to get her first WTA victory I believe :mad:

The only reason Stevenson and Vaku are playing again is because Venus withdrew right? Leaving the spot for the Lucky Loser? :o

bello
Feb 17th, 2004, 02:13 AM
Good luck Alex, i always feel for talented players in slumps!!!

:)

esquímaux
Feb 17th, 2004, 02:59 AM
Good luck Alex, i always feel for talented players in slumps!!!

:)

What about un-talented players in slumps? :angel: